PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Phytohydra

~RaikouRider243~
17th May 2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ravnica/phytohydra.jpg
PHYTOHYDRA
Ravnica: City of Guilds Rare

2GWW: Creature - Plant Hydra

If damage would be dealt to Phytohydra, put that many +1/+1 counters on it instead.
1/1

“Look at this creature, so like the Conclave it serves. Cut one head and it grows two. Damage it and it flourishes.”
—Veszka, Selesnya evangel

This card shuts down aggro like nobody's tomorrow...IF you can get it out. If you hurt it, it gets bigger. The moment I saw this thing, I thought of putting an Entangler on it. (Entangler is an enchantment from Prophecy that allows enchanted creature to block any number of creatures. The only things this guy has to fear are bounce spells and death spells. I would side this out of your Selesnya if you're playing against black...heck, a simple Darkblast can kill this before it gets huge. I want to try playing this in a RGW, smacking it with burn spells to make it bigger.

The only real drawback, like I mentioned, is it getting hit with a card like Terror, or anything that gives negative/negative, like Last Gasp.

3/5

Shadow Trainer
18th May 2006, 3:38 AM
The ability to not die to combat or burn is nice. 2/5

klducks
18th May 2006, 3:45 AM
Best defensive creature, ever.

Besides the fact that it loses vs Fetters/Shock/Boomerang/Tap effects/ etc, this will stall the game for you as well as grow to be a HUGE cactus.

2.5/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
18th May 2006, 12:16 PM
Oh, this one is fun. You'll be unstoppable against many decks while playing this card. Crowd Control and Pestilence decks will FALL, while beatdown and aggro will get horribly angry. Enchantments won't stop this thing; Your friendly neighbourhood Nullmage Shepherd will destroy that enchantment.

The only way to stop it is to destroy it directly or counter it before it can come in......Or play Screams from within while it's still at 1/1. xP.

With the right stuff in your deck, this could be a game winner. Of course, it could be a secondary beatdown monster, but still.

-imagines big Phytohydra with Fists of Ironwood and drools-

This. Card. OWNS. I WANT IT!!!!

4.9/5

~RaikouRider243~
18th May 2006, 4:05 PM
This. Card. OWNS. I WANT IT!!!!

I just pulled one, that's why I reviewed it. :P

Anyway you're giving this way more cred than it's worth, a simple bounce spell will stop it no matter how big it gets. Of course if you have something along the lines of Privileged Position out (boy do I want another one of those), then your opponent's practically screwed. Or any card that prevents it from being the target of spells or abilities for that matter.

One thing that would be funny though with Boros/RW aggro is throwing a Boros Fury-Shield at it (paying the red of course.) Ow.

And screw Fists of Ironwood, how about an Armadillo Cloak (or Loxodon Warhammer in T2)? Mmmmm...LIFE.

Imagine this with a Doubling Season... *drools* I need some of those badly for my Selesnya.

Felix Feral Fezirix
20th May 2006, 11:59 AM
I can think of something better.

WHISPERSILK CLOAK, I SAY!

Rawr. Phytohydra + Whispersilk Cloak = FUN!

skiboydoggy
20th May 2006, 1:17 PM
Boros Fury Shield...
Screws this for fun...
-Casts Incite War before Fury Shielding it-
Ownage.

Felix Feral Fezirix
21st May 2006, 1:34 PM
.............This is where you tap it with Sandsower.

skiboydoggy
21st May 2006, 1:38 PM
Then use Incite Furor.
If it does not attack each turn, sacrifice it.

Runeseekermew
14th June 2006, 9:34 PM
a four card combo powers this boy to hell:
phytohydra(obviously)
whispersilk cloak(equipment equipped creature can't be targeted by spells and is unblockable)
doubling season(hmmm....)
pariah shield(all those annoying burn spells go down the drain with this)
if that's not enough, get 2 Privledged positions to keep the ownage coming.

Felix Feral Fezirix
15th June 2006, 1:41 AM
Ski, all I have to do is to abuse Nullmage. >_< Furor hath died.

Runeseekermew is kinda right. But you still need a bunch of creatures and a Nullmage to kill enchantments that may kill Phytohydra. >_<

klducks
15th June 2006, 2:34 AM
a four card combo powers this boy to hell:
phytohydra(obviously)
whispersilk cloak(equipment equipped creature can't be targeted by spells and is unblockable)
doubling season(hmmm....)
pariah shield(all those annoying burn spells go down the drain with this)
if that's not enough, get 2 Privledged positions to keep the ownage coming.
If youre even gonna try doing this combo (it'll be hard as hell to pull off) then remember to equip pariah shield BEFORE the cloak. (equipping = targets)

Shadow the Hedgehog
15th June 2006, 3:39 AM
What's that one white card that makes all damage go to enchanted creature? That was the first card I thought of when I saw this. If you can get it out 4/5

Rudimentarybrain
15th June 2006, 3:44 AM
Haha, give it armadillo cloak and watch the fun begin, id rather play simic sky swallower though. phytohydra is ok, vulnerable to spells though, the high mana cost is easy to deal with because of mana accel with green, although It is a lot easier to get out a simic sky swallower due to its UG costs, and once its out, it STAYS on the board. but still, Photohydra is an interesting card, I'd say it gets a 2.75/5

undisputed_seraphim
18th June 2006, 4:31 AM
Give it entangler, and white weenies are out of your league.
3/5
Of course, now remains the question of whether you can get it out before you die. Rampant growth is a good idea.

~Sirnight~
18th June 2006, 4:37 AM
I can think of something better.

WHISPERSILK CLOAK, I SAY!

Rawr. Phytohydra + Whispersilk Cloak = FUN!

Dawg, that would pawn.
I love this card, don't have one but this could go great in my deck. But yeah, even before this guy gets his power, your oppenent could simply tap a Swamp, Darkblast*, DEAD.

*Same goes for Terror and all those other honorable mentions.

Felix Feral Fezirix
18th June 2006, 1:13 PM
Shadow, I believe you are referring to one of my favourite Urza's Saga cards, Pariah. -huggles it- I like it and Unworthy Dead/Wall of Junk together. Or a Darksteel Colossus sitting on either side of the field.

But it would own with Phytohydra.

But you have to admit it works with Pariah Shield too. ^_^

skiboydoggy
18th June 2006, 5:07 PM
But Pariah Shield = Equipment, which is altogether less useful than you might think.

Felix Feral Fezirix
19th June 2006, 10:00 AM
Well, Pariah Shield IS reuseable...

~RaikouRider243~
19th June 2006, 1:54 PM
even before this guy gets his power, your oppenent could simply tap a Swamp, Darkblast*, DEAD.

*Same goes for Terror and all those other honorable mentions.

That's why you throw down things like Privileged Position beforehand.

Felix Feral Fezirix
20th June 2006, 11:08 AM
Or make it indestructable. Lots harder to kill now. Then chuck burn spells at it...

skiboydoggy
21st June 2006, 9:57 AM
WGR deck?
That's weird... Maybe Leyline of Lightning would do the trick, what with all the spammity spells that fly every direction.

Rudimentarybrain
23rd June 2006, 4:23 AM
I think you guys are giving this card too much credit, you could swords to plowshares this card, or pretty much use anything you want on it. its still a pretty funny card, but the mana cost to p/t just screws it over for competitive play, whereas you could play simic sky swallower for a decent price compared to its p/t and it stays out.

Felix Feral Fezirix
24th June 2006, 9:49 AM
Well, it's one of the best Selesnya creatures, and two of us play a Selesnya deck, so....Yeah.

skiboydoggy
24th June 2006, 3:25 PM
Actually, the mana cost to P/T is pretty decent. That's like saying Souless One etc. sucks in their respective decks because their base P/T is 1. (Zombie avatar etc. geddit? 1)
Or that the whole series of Arcbound cards suck because their base P/T is 0/0.
Or that Broodstar sucks because it's just a really expensive 0/0, seeing how it's not even an artifact.

Kaizer
25th June 2006, 1:07 AM
Actually, the mana cost to P/T is pretty decent. That's like saying Souless One etc. sucks in their respective decks because their base P/T is 1. (Zombie avatar etc. geddit? 1)
Or that Broodstar sucks because it's just a really expensive 0/0, seeing how it's not even an artifact.

2GWW for a 1/1 is nowhere near decent for a creature, unless that ability that makes it so expensive will win you the game. Phytohydra's ability will, quite frankly, not do that for you.

And comparing it's p/t to that of great cards? The reason those cards are so great and have such costs for seemingly low p/t is because of how easily you can raise that. Outside of blocking, you'd be surprised how hard it will be to get any damage on it without you wasting your own resources to do so. Back to the matter at hand- Souless One has a base p/t of */*, effectively 1/1, however, it goes in what is quite frankly an insane deck that means you're almost always getting a very large creature out of it. The same applies for Broodstar, by the time you play it, it will most likely be for UU and you'll be getting yourself an 8/8 or bigger flyer.

And the Arcbounds? What do they have to do with base p/t compared to cost. Sure they may be 0/0's, but they do have a thing called +1/+1 counters that effectively give them a different base p/t, same thing applies to grafters. I'm sure there's more I could go on about, but I bet there's others out there who would like the opportunity.

Fact is, 2GWW for 1/1 that may get bigger and will scarcely win you the game is, in fact, terrible.

chaoslord
25th June 2006, 1:22 AM

I think every good zombie deck ever made would like to have a word with you, RE: Soulless one sucks.

No, your comparison is WAY off the mark.

Your comparison is basically saying because Phytohydra sucks, all */*'s suck.

Anyways, when I first saw this card, I was all for it, etc etc.

Then I went home and looked at my deck that has ~20 "destroy" cards, and I quickly realised its not that great.

Onto the cards you mentioned: Theyre good because theyre abilities are good. Soulless one is insane in well played zombie decks. The arcbounds + broodstar both raped standard, in ravager affinity and broodstar affinity.

Phytohydras ability isnt necissarily "good" in every situation.

and how can we forget nightmare? the flying horse of doom is */*, yet i play the hell out of him. Why? I don't know, I'm bored.

Rudimentarybrain
26th June 2006, 9:55 PM
When did i say */*s are bad? when they hit the field in a respective deck their power and toughness should be higher or fair for the cost of the card, thats what makes them worth playing. however, phytohydra hits the field as a 1/1 for 5, not very good, also take into consideration that its cost is mulitcolored needing WW to get it out and its even worse, also, the card doesnt work by itself, most of you want to put an enchantment on it, costing even more mana. I really doubt you'll see this card in competitive play compared to simic sky swallower, its just not a practical card.

Felix Feral Fezirix
2nd July 2006, 4:30 PM
Unless you have nothing better to do or you have some crazy strategy for it.

Pure
11th July 2006, 3:18 AM
With a decent Selesnya deck, this can be the star. You can build up strong offenses and defenses with other cards to prevent the burns from having as large an effect.

Rudimentarybrain
11th July 2006, 4:08 PM
But then again a decent selesnya deck wouldnt need to run this risky card, and a good opponent won't let it get big.

Felix Feral Fezirix
12th July 2006, 9:23 AM
What do you mean by risky? It's not risky. It's just there to grow or die, put up or shut up. Not like its coming or going is really going to flip a bunch of tables over. Yeah, so you wasted the mana, but then again, you can just play it while you're bored. >_<

Rudimentarybrain
13th July 2006, 1:49 AM
I'd say its risky to play this because it sucks, and you'd be wasting deckspace and mana for a card thats playability sucks, when you could be running some selesnya staples instead. Oh, and i can play the real Folk Blues on sax :)

Felix Feral Fezirix
17th July 2006, 12:16 PM
What's with your last weird comment? >_< It's a depressing and nice song. I clap for you, oh thou who hath mastered the art of playing some Real Folk Blues on sax...

Well, I put in a few situational cards just in case they are needed, and if they aren't, I'll be prepared for a discard.

I hate Ski's lousy five-colour multi-purpose deck. >_< Keeps me on my toes.