PDA

View Full Version : Politics and religion in the debate forum

PokeProphet
18th May 2006, 2:52 PM
Didn't It Say no Religion Or Politics Please!!!!!!!

... it says "No religion or politics please"

not to sound like a *******, but this sounds pretty relgious... can some one close this please?

*cough* Can you read? I'll quote 'No Religion or Politics' =/

Great another religion topic. Did anyone read the text under miscellaneous discussion? No politics or RELIGION

Yes I believe and im a christian,but i thought there was supposed to be no religion or politics in the miscellaneous discussion

Discuss Non. Pokémon Stuff here. But No Religion or Politics Please

Do I need to say more?

Seriously, if I'd had a nickle for every time someone telling the people in the debate forum that they shouldn't be discussing politics or religion, I'd be buying this website instead of posting on them. And they can't even be blamed for it, since it clearly says beneath the section-title that you shouldn't.

The way I see it, there are three ways to solve this;
- Remove the part of no politics or religion in the misc. discussion section, and have the mods either move religious/political threads that are misplaced because of this to the debate section or remove them.

- Mention beneath the link to the debate section that political/religious discussions are allowed there.

- Do some serious announcing.

Second and last option will save the mods a lot of work, IMO.

Organous
18th May 2006, 3:31 PM
I've dealt with this kind of problem on another big board. That's how I know that literally no matter what you do, there will always be people who do not read the rules. I imagine this problem was started by such an example. Someone posts a religious thread, another idiot decides it's alright and does the same, and then the more such topics are around, the more acceptible it appears to people. You could make an announcement and lock all such threads, then automatically delete future ones. I think that's the only move that will get real results, but you'll still encounter the n00b who disobeys it.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
18th May 2006, 3:40 PM
Just change the description of the debate forum. Problem solved.

-Josh

MondoTR
18th May 2006, 5:29 PM
Organus, Eevee Brothers avy, w00t. ^_^

Anyways, there have been many requests in the mod section for the description to be changed, it just hasn't been done.

But yeah, I want it changed as well. And I don't even go in the debates. XD

Organous
18th May 2006, 6:10 PM
Well, I certainly would like politics & religion to be discussable in there, but I can understand why the admins would not want them there. They are topics that seriously divide people and make us all hate each other. The ironic thing is that most worthwhile debates are political. Only extremists tend to hurt those arguments, but then again, something that's open to all is open to them, too.
Yeah, that's basically the argument that ensued when the other big board I modded considered inclusion of politics & religion. It ended up not going through because you do have to consider the worst-case scenario. This place could have it as a conditional thing, but the pattern I've seen with allowing stuff in moderation is that it usually ends up abused.

Phantom_Bugsy
18th May 2006, 7:08 PM
Ban the people that say that, duh. That or have a mass laugh-at session.

Agreeing with Josh here: change the description.

RaZoR LeAf
18th May 2006, 8:06 PM
Actually admins can change forum descriptions, as I had Fox change the Sign Up description for RPG.