PDA

View Full Version : Cheating devices...

~Bent~
22nd May 2006, 10:39 PM
Do NOT talk about sharking or anything like that, technically they are illegal (But we do it anyway and Nintendo don't mind as long as we keep getting their games) but either way don't dicuss them. In game ones like the old Rare Candy one, fair enough but not outside help cheating devices. THIS MEANS NO DISCUSSION OF GAMESHARK OR ACTION REPLAY OR ANY OTHER CHEATING DEVICE OF THAT NATURE. DO NOT REQUEST CODES. They're not illegal. So why is discussion banned?

Skrusti
22nd May 2006, 11:13 PM
Because Joe wishes it to be so ;/

I guess he just doesn't like "Cheating devices" or something.

NEO GOHAN
22nd May 2006, 11:38 PM
because cheating defeats the purpose of the game. and the companies need the extra money they get for activating those special events like the old sea chart. also, cheating devices can screw your games up big time. I used to have one. now I have one less game shark (HULK SMASH!!!) and a closet full of games that, while physically intact, no longer work. THAT'S WITH OR WITHOUT THE GS. AND I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS AND USED THE RIGHT CODES :P.

WORST PURCHASE OF MY LIFE.

~Bent~
22nd May 2006, 11:56 PM
But claiming they're illegal is just false. Yes, they can mess up the game, but the "they ruin the point of the game" idea is pure opinion, and it still doesn't explain why discussion about them should be prohibited.

RaZoR LeAf
23rd May 2006, 12:25 AM
Actually Nintendo did file a lawsuit against Game Genie on the basis that the devices were altering the code of the games. There are also threads made by latios containing code, I'm sure if you search you can find them. Besides, what's to discuss? All you're going to want to know is codes for things, codes that can easily be found by using the big thing called the 'internet'.

MidnightScott
23rd May 2006, 12:37 AM
because cheating defeats the purpose of the game. and the companies need the extra money they get for activating those special events like the old sea chart.

WORST PURCHASE OF MY LIFE.

They can't make money off of that thing - they haven't in the past. Anyways, Cheating Devices only screw up your games when you enter bad codes - it's not the Cheating Devices fault, you're the one that inputed the code...

I got a GameShark SP in October 2003, I haven't used it for a long time - because I decided I didn't want to use it anymore...well, I did use it to go to the Islands since events don't happen everywhere...

~Scott;229;

~Bent~
23rd May 2006, 1:08 AM
Actually Nintendo did file a lawsuit against Game Genie on the basis that the devices were altering the code of the games.That was also in 1992... and Nintendo lost.

Granted, codes can be found anywhere on the internet, but some people aren't that well acquainted with it. Plus, creating a single thread for requests and stickying it wouldn't be that hard, and it would save a lot of hassle for people who are looking for codes. It's always easier to find all you need at one forum than to join two different forums to get different information.

And I'm still curious as to why discussion about cheat devices is banned. After all, the legitimacy of cheat device use is always a hot topic.

Comis Patronus
23rd May 2006, 1:09 AM
Well, it spoils the things you wouldn't normally get easily. What's the fun in that?

~Bent~
23rd May 2006, 1:22 AM
I'm not arguing about whether cheat devices should be used or not -- I don't do them, myself. What I'm questioning is SPPf's policy on no discussion of any kind.

NFreak
23rd May 2006, 1:45 AM
You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I mean, if you already beat the game, or close to it, it's fine to use them. Sure, GSs can screw up your game just by using it, but there're still the ARs, which are safe if you enter the codes right. In general,

It's the players' choice if they want to use it or not! If it's their choice, users should be allowed to discuss it.

1) Players' choice to use it.
2) Safe as long as the right codes are entered (or entered correctly)
3) In pkmn, it helps if you can't get to/missed an event (explaining my Deoxys, Celebi, etc.)
4) They're illegal? Who thought of that? They're perfectly legal. Nothing wrong with them.

So why isn't discussion allowed?

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 1:52 AM
They can't make money off of that thing - they haven't in the past. Anyways, Cheating Devices only screw up your games when you enter bad codes - it's not the Cheating Devices fault, you're the one that inputed the code...

I got a GameShark SP in October 2003, I haven't used it for a long time - because I decided I didn't want to use it anymore...well, I did use it to go to the Islands since events don't happen everywhere...

~Scott;229;
I USED THE CODES THAT CAME IN THE ******* INSTRUCTION BOOK. 'NUFF **** SAID.

note: self censored

edit: I'm sure they make money off it somehow... extra funding or something... why else would they hold back stuff years after it came out in Japan? they wait for the Gov't to give 'em cash or summat.

video game conpiracies, OMGROFL

Dunsparce
23rd May 2006, 1:57 AM
ANd don't forget Joe gives out codes for some of the First and Second Generation games right on the site. Note the Crystal Pages. He gives out a code to get the GS Ball to get Celebi.

Shrike Flamestar
23rd May 2006, 2:18 AM
I USED THE CODES THAT CAME IN THE ******* INSTRUCTION BOOK. 'NUFF **** SAID.

note: self censored

edit: I'm sure they make money off it somehow... extra funding or something... why else would they hold back stuff years after it came out in Japan? they wait for the Gov't to give 'em cash or summat.

video game conpiracies, OMGROFL

Ever thought that, perhaps, you typed them in wrong? O instead of 0, F instead of 4 (which can happen a lot more than you may think), and so on.

I’ve been wondering what the problem with discussion of them is as well. I can understand that in competitive play they can be unfair if the Pokémon used have stats or moves that it could never obtain otherwise and that Serebii may not want to help spread around how to cheat for Pokémon such as those, however that’s still no reason to prohibit all discussion whatsoever. You can still very well use cheating devices to obtain completely legal Pokémon; not all uses of a cheating device are for super powered Pokémon, some people may just want to use them to save time from having to perfectly IV and EV train.

Yes, you can find out the codes elsewhere of course, however if someone needs help with how to use the Action Replay/Codebreaker/Gameshark/whatever itself, they probably want to ask around where they visit most often instead of having to sign up on another random forum just to ask a simple question.

Auraninja
23rd May 2006, 2:22 AM
How many times have we had cheating device threads? -_-

Why would you want to use a god forsaken cheating device? It only takes the fun out of the game.

I would rather to never get a Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, or Manaphy than to ever use a cheating device to get one.

-Psychic Politoed

pharaohguy530
23rd May 2006, 2:29 AM
ANd don't forget Joe gives out codes for some of the First and Second Generation games right on the site. Note the Crystal Pages. He gives out a code to get the GS Ball to get Celebi.
Oh yeah.....Thats how I got my celebi in Gold.
Anyways, same answer all the time is....
Its his forums. His site. His rules. He's the administrator (which I probably spelt wrong.) so he decides. You don't like it? Well forget you! I use cheat devices too, and I could care less that we can't talk about them. If I really needed to talk to someone about them, I'd go to my brother. He never shuts up. But thats not the point. The point is, if you want to talk about cheat devices, make you own forums. This place is great, even without the cheat devices discussion. Nuff said. Peace, I'm out. -pharaohguy

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 2:31 AM
dude, there's no "O", just zero. hexidecimal just owned joo, Shrike. and further more, I QUADRUPLE CHECKED.

Shrike Flamestar
23rd May 2006, 2:36 AM
dude, there's no "O", just zero. hexidecimal just owned joo. and further more, I QUADRUPLE CHECKED.
That's besides the point. Unless something was seriously screwed up with the actual hardware you used, a cheating device such as GS/AR/CB or whatever will NEVER screw your game up if you use proper codes. All they do is intercept the stream of data and replace the value of a certain variable with something else. If something is screwed up, something went wrong somewhere; perhaps the code was printed wrong, but you can’t blame the device for doing precisely what you told it to, even if it wasn’t what you intended.

Believe me, I’ve been AR for years now (well, not so much lately as I’ve started growing away from it) and having screwed anything up once. I haven’t even got a bad egg.

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 2:43 AM
That's besides the point. Unless something was seriously screwed up with the actual hardware you used, a cheating device such as GS/AR/CB or whatever will NEVER screw your game up if you use proper codes. All they do is intercept the stream of data and replace the value of a certain variable with something else. If something is screwed up, something went wrong somewhere; perhaps the code was printed wrong, but you can’t blame the device for doing precisely what you told it to, even if it wasn’t what you intended.

Believe me, I’ve been AR for years now (well, not so much lately as I’ve started growing away from it) and having screwed anything up once. I haven’t even got a bad egg.
I know how it's SUPPOSSED TO WORK. I LOOKED OVER THE CODES. I CHECKED AND RECHECKED WICH STEP I WAS ON. I USED AT LEAST FIVE DIFFERENT SHARKS.NOW TELL THAT TO MY PILE OF THE HUNDREDS OF GAMES IT PERMANENTLY ****** UP. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK HARD FOR IT, IT TAKES UP AN ENTIRE CLOSET.

Comis Patronus
23rd May 2006, 2:49 AM
Guys, this isn't a debate.

Shrike Flamestar
23rd May 2006, 2:51 AM
Wow, you’re awfully angry, aren’t you?

As I said, the GS or whatever you were using did EXACTLY as you told it to, regardless of if you meant for it to do whatever it did that “screwed” up those games. Perhaps you put something in wrong despite your extensive checking, perhaps the codes you received were messed up, perhaps there was a hardware defect, perhaps the games aren’t even messed up at all (what exactly is wrong with them?).

What many people don’t seem to realize about computers is that they will follow the orders they’re given exactly; if they screw up it’s because of a bug in the program code, a hardware problem, or because the person operating the computer did something wrong. You can’t blame any computer based device for an error when you have no idea what may have caused it.

You know, I’m starting to see why Serebii doesn’t want discussion of cheating devices on here... Too many people who don’t understand them and can’t take the blame for what could just as easily be personal error, so instead they go on and whine about it...

Mega Trickster
23rd May 2006, 2:51 AM
Well I think that giving out codes is wrong but talking about what effects they have to your game is fine.

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 2:59 AM
I'm not saying MINE were messed up, *HINT ******* HINT* the devices are freaking MADE THAT WAY. THEY SCREW UP GAMES ON PURPOSE. AND YES KIDDIES, THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WHO ARE SADISTIC ENOUGH TO PULL IT OFF.

for example, LOZ, Link's Awakening DX: with or without GS, gets to title screen fine. ONLY USED ONE CODE. AND IT WORKED FINE FOR A WEEK OR SO. press start, and BAMM. it froze so fast I got frostburn. POKeMON R/B: glitches at random intervals. codes that WORKED FINE A FEW TIMES BEFORE GLITCHED UP INSTANTLY. also, only one species of wild POKeMON can be found. the others? too numerous to fit in. CHEW ON THAT.

Shrike Flamestar
23rd May 2006, 3:07 AM
*Sighs* You’re hopeless... Why the hell would they screw your game up on purpose? Tell me, then, why I have never had a game screwed up on me.

Okay, I see now Serebii, this is exactly why discussion on cheating devices shouldn’t be allowed here; you’ll have all these paranoid, conspiracy theory nuts going around spouting this nonsensical babble...

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 3:11 AM
They do it 'cause it makes money(20+ bucks for a piece of **** worth as much as a freaking pile of it), it's cheap, and the kids keep comin'. and to quote myself:

YES KIDDIES, THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WHO ARE SADISTIC ENOUGH TO PULL IT OFF.

Shrike Flamestar
23rd May 2006, 3:16 AM
-_- Do I need to take picture of my games with an AR (or perhaps even my older GS for GBC, but I think that broke or something as it tends to freeze a lot while I’m using it...) running to prove they aren’t messed up? Get over it, just because you may have had some bad experiences for whatever inexplicable reason (perhaps your fault, perhaps not) doesn’t mean that everyone will have those same problems.

I now formally retract my earlier statement on thinking discussion of cheating devices should be allowed on here after seeing what it would lead to...

~Bent~
23rd May 2006, 3:24 AM
How many times have we had cheating device threads? -_-

Why would you want to use a god forsaken cheating device? It only takes the fun out of the game.

I would rather to never get a Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, or Manaphy than to ever use a cheating device to get one.

-Psychic PolitoedThis is not a debate over whether cheat devices should be used or not.

This is a query, by me, asking why both cheats and the discussion of cheating are prohibited. What is more, I have already stated that I do not use cheats. However, some people do use cheats.

Some people would like to get a Pokemon such as Mew or Celebi without requiring a Nintendo event which they have never seen (and which they probably will never see).

Some people like to have a large number of Pokemon for link battles and don't want to spend weeks training them to L100.

Some people want good competitive movesets and don't want to start a new game to get extra TMs and move tutors.

Some people want rare berries without having to buy a GameCube, a GBA-GCN cable and a copy of Pokemon Colosseum.

Some people wish to see an in-game event that was in the original Japanese version but taken out of the localized version of the game (such as Celebi in Crystal... c.f. Mega Man Zero 3).

Some people use their cheat devices for other games besides Pokemon.

What is more, some people use NetBattle, which is in itself a giant cheat device.
Oh yeah.....Thats how I got my celebi in Gold.
Anyways, same answer all the time is....
Its his forums. His site. His rules. He's the administrator (which I probably spelt wrong.) so he decides. You don't like it? Well forget you! I use cheat devices too, and I could care less that we can't talk about them. If I really needed to talk to someone about them, I'd go to my brother. He never shuts up. But thats not the point. The point is, if you want to talk about cheat devices, make you own forums. This place is great, even without the cheat devices discussion. Nuff said. Peace, I'm out. -pharaohguyIf someone took your advice and started their own forum, it is very likely that they would never have access to the information that many people who use cheat devices have here at SPPf. This is a big forum, and it takes a lot of advertising and time to make it as big as it is.
They do it 'cause it makes money(20+ bucks for a piece of **** worth as much as a freaking pile of it), it's cheap, and the kids keep comin'.Yet you don't seem to complain about Nintendo not making rare Pokemon available in-game, training easier, and the like. You're also not complaining about the waste of money it is to buy two GBAs, a GCN, a GBA link cable, a GBA/GCN link cable, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD just to get most of the Pokemon.

Again, I'm not talking about the legitimacy of cheat devices. I'm talking about whether or not discussion and/or help should be included on this website or not. Also, it would be nice to hear from a staff member.
Guys, this isn't a debate.Thank you.

Ho-oh Master
23rd May 2006, 3:37 AM
cheating devices are not fair for people who don't use them. would you like it if you trained really hard on your team and went in a tourny and lost to someone who used a cheat device?

~Bent~
23rd May 2006, 4:37 AM
I'm not arguing about whether cheat devices should be used or not.
Guys, this isn't a debate.
This is not a debate over whether cheat devices should be used or not."The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

NEO GOHAN
23rd May 2006, 4:47 AM
... it's still **** though. I'm willing to bet a THREE-YEAR-OLD RETARD could hack game coding better than these piles of junk... by banging it against a titanium-reinforced-steel wall. the companies who make this ******** need to burn in HELL. it's the LEAST THEY DESERVE FOR RIPPING OFF KIDS AND THEIR BIRTHDAY MONEY. (yes, I used b-day money on this crap. **** off.)

Mequuh
23rd May 2006, 4:54 AM
Then why don't you do it yourself? ;)

Shut up. You clearley messed up in entering the codes.

I for one don't care about the disc. of them. What's to discuse? You can easily find the codes other places, after you do that what's more to it?