PDA

View Full Version : i need some help

Savage X
24th May 2006, 1:44 AM
if any of you are familiar with freewebs can you help me with this?

see my normal site? http://freewebs.com/herugaa229 do you know how to make it into those cool sites that have like the column on both sides and content in the middle? i cant figure out how. here is an example http://www.freewebs.com/shadowofthewolves394 it even has an enter screen. and its loaded with links other then the ones in the page bar. and try clicking pokedex how do you get that dropdown box and click it and it brings up something else? makes no sense i cant find anything to do this stuff (serebii.net is also the same format as the example i gave. how do i do it?!)

thanks

Hiroki
24th May 2006, 4:34 AM
Try learning HTML.
Upgrade your site to HTML only, and then code it up.

Site builders suck (unless you know how to use to their full extent).

Magma Leader Maxie
24th May 2006, 11:28 AM
They would still suck if you held a degree in their usage.

As for navbars, they are usually built by using HTML tables or CSS. Read some tutorials and you should get the gist soon. Some links to tutorials can be found in the webmaster resource thread (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=100575), or you could search for them yourself using google.

Savage X
24th May 2006, 1:48 PM
Try learning HTML.
Upgrade your site to HTML only, and then code it up.

i know html...

Jetx
24th May 2006, 8:44 PM
Well then, stop using cruddy freewebs layouts, get upgraded to HTML mode. And then we'll take it from there, yeah? Save all your important content to notepad first though.

Moonlight.
24th May 2006, 9:58 PM
If you have any basic table skills when it comes to HTML, you should be able to make the layout. Thought it may not be as effective as, say, SPP's layout, you can easily make a basically layout with a 3-column table (using simple, <table>, <tr> and <td> tags). If that messes up, you could always get someone else to do the layout for you.

Magma Leader Maxie
25th May 2006, 4:12 PM
It gets very very difficult to make a nav with tables if you don't insert a separate table for the navbar into a table of your site. Check this simple example to see what I mean:

<table>
<tr><!-- set the cell dimensions in an invisible first row -->
<td width="25%"></td>
<td width="60%"></td>
<td width="15%"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="3">Page Title/Banner</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="350"><table><!--NAVBAR HERE--></table></td>
<td><!--MIDDLE-COLUMN CONTENT HERE--></td>
<td><!--THIRD COLUMN CONTENT--></td>
</tr>
</table>

So why the extra navbar table? Because otherwise, by using <td> and <tr> you would actualy be creating rows in all three columns, so it would be very tricky to use rowspan to correct it. Of course you can use something else instead of more tables to create the navbar. If you're interested how other sites do their navs, take a look at their source.

All the dimensions were arbitrarily picked just for the purpose of pointing out where dimensions should come. Of course, you'll want to expand this kind of system with more table cells, and use specific dimensions based on your images and how you want the page to look. BTW <table> marks a table, <tr> marks a table row and <td> marks a cell.

Savage X
26th May 2006, 2:51 AM
It's okay. I got some one to help me. Thanks.