PDA

View Full Version : Viz, WTF??!

ultimate goku
27th May 2006, 10:47 PM
I just got my final volume of Dragonball a few days ago.. (DBZ volume 26) and I was almost excited that I finally had all 42 in both languages.. but then, soon as I flipped a couple of pages.. I found out that Vegetto's name had been altered to.. *shudder* Vegerot. WTF??! I've seen a lot of name changes before, but this is just ridiculous. First it was Hercule, followed by the edits, then Dijin Boo, and now this??! **** viz, **** all their gay-*** edits, **** Hercule, **** Djin Boo or whatever the hell it's called.. and most of all.. **** VEGEROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/gokutae/35618a61.jpg

See, even Vegetto's ******-off about this!

Hao Kaiser
27th May 2006, 11:35 PM
gay-*** edits
First off, thats going to get you in a butt-load of trouble with the mods.

Anyways, I don't have any idea about them changing Mr. Satan to Hercule, as you have to pay for the manga, but the show is free on TV, but if anything, they're just being consistant with their own names. Goku's Saiya-jin name is Kakkarot in the english version, not Kakkarotto (You'll have to forgive me if I've spelled those wrong.). If anything, FUNi is the one who was kinda out there with the names (At least by their translations), even if Vegetto sounds SOOO much better.

As for Djiin Buu... I don't know WTF is going on there. Btw, wasn't this volume 'sposed to come out in June?

Wired
28th May 2006, 12:14 AM
That is also this way at the Dutch manga...

Goku - SanGoku/Carot
Gohan - SanGohan
Recoome - Recoom
Burter - Barta
Jeice - Jeece
captain Ginyu - Ginue
Frieza - Freezer

And still couple of other.

Chris
28th May 2006, 1:19 AM
Vegetto doesn't work since they chose to go with the spelling of Kakarrot, as opposed to Kakarotto. Both FUNimation and Viz chose weird alternatives to Vegetto (FUNi as Vegito and Viz as Vegerot).

Djinn Boo doesn't work much at all. While he does appear to be a genie, his name is MEANT to be Majin Boo, what with the M symbol on his belt and over Dabra's and Vegeta's heads.

Hercule was out of nowhere. They even made mention of the original name, Mr. Satan, during character introductions in Shonen Jump.

I gave up on the Viz releases of Volumes 17 through 42 of Dragon Ball. Wasn't worth the money to see an edited series. :\ They dropped the ball with the Artificial Humans.

Goku's Saiya-jin name is Kakkarot in the english version, not Kakkarotto (You'll have to forgive me if I've spelled those wrong.).
Nope. The real spelling in both languages is Kakarrott. Steve Simmons, the DVD subber of the series, and Viz opt for the Kakarrot spelling since it leans closer to the pun of "carrot." Also remember, Japanese words generally end with vowel sounds. They can't really pronounce most words that don't end in vowels without adding one. The only exception would be Broli's straining out the name with his "KAKARROT--TO!" If I remember correctly, some languages opted for the spelling of Vegeth or Veget for Vegetto. Steve commented that he went with Vegetto because Veget looks more like a typo of Vegeta.

ultimate goku
28th May 2006, 1:39 AM
list of edits..

Dragonball, Volume 1 - What can be noted here is that Bulma is given a "Valley Girl" manner of speech which quickly fades as the volume proceeds. Her speech is normal from there on out.

Dragonball, Volume 4 - At the end of a Chapter, when it appears Goku may lose to Giran, a panel has the cheesy addition text "Is this the end of Goku?! Then how do you explain Dragonball Z??!".

Dragonball, Volume 5 - The character "Sgt. Metallic" has his name changed to "Full Metal Jacket" and the monster called "Buyo" or "Buyon" is changed to "The Jiggler".

Dragonball, Volume 6 - Goku's nick name for #8 is changed from "Ha-Chan" (Little Eight) to "8-Man".

Dragonball, Volume 14 - Mr. Popo's lips are colored in black to match his face, to reduce his resemblence to "Sanbo" which is a long story. Basically, it's to avoid offending African-Americans. This change is retained for every appearance of Mr. Popo for the rest of the series.

Tankoban #18 / Dragonball Z, Volume 2 - Piccolo's threat to Gohan "I'll bash in your skull!" is changed to "I'll slit your throat!".

Tankoban #31 / Dragonball Z, Volume 15 - "Hell Flash" is changed to "Inferno Blast". Also, a title page in which various members of the Dragon Team flipping Cell off is altered to them "Clenching their fists angrily". At this point in the series, cussing seems tos top entirely, whereas "*******" "***" "Damn" and "Hell" were all used frequently before.

Tankoban #33 / Dragonball Z, Volume 17 - "Mister Satan" is changed to "Hercule". This stays the same for the rest of the series.

Tankoban #35 / Dragonball Z, Volume 19 - #17's gun is removed from the 2nd to last chapter, which he uses to shoot a man in the face. The alteration gives the impression that #17 opted to crush the guys skull instead.

Tankoban #37 / Dragonball Z, Volume 21 - "Majin Boo" is changed to "Boo the Djinn". This change is retained for the rest of the series.

Tankoban #40 / Dragonball Z, Volume 24 - The guns used by the Random Criminals to shoot the old couple, Boo's dog, and Mister Satan are all changed to look like "Laser Blasters". Also, Goku's offer to Rou Kaioshin to feel up Bulma is changed to meeting her.

"Chi" vs. "Ki" - Viz opts to use the term "Chi" as opposed to "Ki". But in all honesty, "Ki" is a more accurate term and "Chi" isn't exactly the same thing...technicially.

The last two volumes - didn't bother. Based on their ontent, one can guess that the only changes were the ones that carry from volume to volume.

Dragonball Re-issues - In the latest re-issues of Dragonball, all instances of Bulma being full frontal naked from the waste up is altered to have a bra.

Post anything else that you find..

Chris
28th May 2006, 5:17 AM
Thanks for posting up the list of edits I compiled. :P

Brinstar
28th May 2006, 6:17 AM
yeah, it's really sad that the DB manga couldn't stay consistent all the way through. I especially loved the first few volumes of the Z part of the series, when they really got Goku's accent down and gave Piccolo some cool dialogue and speech patterns. But yeah, sucks that it couldn't have lasted the whole way through :\

Also, Vegerot wtf? lol I think Vegetorot would at least be a bit easier to pronounce.

That Scary Clefairy
28th May 2006, 7:18 AM
Vegerot.....Sound like a combination word of vegetable and rotting. I guess the vegetables somewhere are rotting. Better throw them out. ....>__>

p.s. Brinstar, howcome your not on aim anymore? new screen name?

Kurama
28th May 2006, 7:34 AM
isn't Vegrot the tranfrmation of goku ad vegetta

Greek Saw
28th May 2006, 7:36 AM
You may be frustrated, but you don't have to use swear words.

Chris
28th May 2006, 7:45 AM
isn't Vegrot the tranfrmation of goku ad vegetta
Actually, it isn't.

See, in the Japanese version of the manga and anime, Goku and Vegeta's fusion with the Potara Earrings cause the two to become Vegetto. FUNimation, for whatever reason, chose to go with the same name but a different spelling (Vegito). However, Viz chose to go with a completely new name (Vegerot) to match the Vegeta + Kakarrot namings.

While Vegerot DOES make sense, it doesn't sound right, nor is it the original name.

You may be frustrated, but you don't have to use swear words.
Thanks for the insightfulness. A better thing to have said would have been to calm down and actually think of something else to say rather than to spaz out over it.

Being the board's #1 Dragon Ball fan, I too don't like what was done but am not going ape **** over it. o_O;

Brinstar
28th May 2006, 8:15 PM
Vegerot.....Sound like a combination word of vegetable and rotting. I guess the vegetables somewhere are rotting. Better throw them out. ....>__>

p.s. Brinstar, howcome your not on aim anymore? new screen name?

yeah, if you arent on my LJ, facebook, or my space i guess you wouldn't have known... sorry. I'm PM it to ya. :P

HK
28th May 2006, 8:56 PM
Since I would just be basically repeating what others have said... Stay away from the majority of Viz's Shonen Jump line, and a few series of Viz's Shonen Jump Advanced line as well. Besides the fact that I personally don't care that much about most of the series that they have there (save for some like D.Gray-man and Death Note, which are both excellently translated), the Shonen Jump line has an audience that seems more fitting to those younger than ten. Plus, pretty much every other line of manga that they put out is greatly translated and packaged (particuarly there Editor's Choice and their Signature line which is meant to replace the former)).

Also, to the thread starter: use a little bit more sensible wording and logic if your mad about something. I seriously doubt I would ever say/type something like "gay-a*s" if a series like Berserk or Evangelion got screwed around with (the latter has already had that happened due to Manga Entertainment, just to note), and I'm about as a big of a fan of those two series that you'll see on these boards (as well as other anime boards). Use your head, kid.

Ketsuban
28th May 2006, 9:28 PM
"Chi" vs. "Ki" - Viz opts to use the term "Chi" as opposed to "Ki". But in all honesty, "Ki" is a more accurate term and "Chi" isn't exactly the same thing...technicially.

Isn't "ki" just the Japanese pronunciation of "chi"?

Korobooshi Kojiro
28th May 2006, 10:29 PM
Since I would just be basically repeating what others have said... Stay away from the majority of Viz's Shonen Jump line, and a few series of Viz's Shonen Jump Advanced line as well. Besides the fact that I personally don't care that much about most of the series that they have there (save for some like D.Gray-man and Death Note, which are both excellently translated), the Shonen Jump line has an audience that seems more fitting to those younger than ten. Plus, pretty much every other line of manga that they put out is greatly translated and packaged (particuarly there Editor's Choice and their Signature line which is meant to replace the former)).

Also, to the thread starter: use a little bit more sensible wording and logic if your mad about something. I seriously doubt I would ever say/type something like "gay-a*s" if a series like Berserk or Evangelion got screwed around with (the latter has already had that happened due to Manga Entertainment, just to note), and I'm about as a big of a fan of those two series that you'll see on these boards (as well as other anime boards). Use your head, kid.

Well, some people have a choice between Viz's One Piece and 4Kids One Piece.

Personally, I like SJ, but thats just me.

Chris
29th May 2006, 1:13 AM
Isn't "ki" just the Japanese pronunciation of "chi"?
Chi can be said in Japanese. However, it's not the same in the Dragon Ball world seeing as you don't hear the word "Ki" used in the same sense in anything other than Dragon Ball.

Doesn't help that the term Ki is also used in Tenshinhan's Kiko-Ho or as a general term for energy blasts (Kiko-Ha).

Ketsuban
2nd June 2006, 10:28 PM
Ah, I just figured 'cause, you know, same kanji and everything.

Gaiash
3rd June 2006, 1:22 AM
Vegerot isn't so bad. I mean Vegetto is clearly a better name but it makes sense to readers who don't know Kakarotto's Japanese spelling. Before I got good Internet sorces my first responce to Vegetto was "Wheres the o come from?" (I was so much younger then).

However Dijin Boo is What the Hell? Hercule I'm fine with, worse Hell/Satan filters have happened and in DBZ I might add *Cough*HFIL*Cough* in fact I've taken to calling him "Hercule Satan"

Cutiebunny
3rd June 2006, 8:04 PM
I don't see what the big fuss is all about...aren't y'all used to mistranslations and name changes by now?

I mean, seriously...name changes and mistranslations are nothing new. Yeah, it's horrible when it happens to your favorite characters, but, the main thing is that the story is, more or less, preserved. Watch some of the 1980s anime dubs and you'll understand what happens when the story is tossed out the window and an englicized version is used.

Besides, comparitively, things are much better than in the 1990s when the only way to get a lot of anime was to head to Chinatown and buy yourself some bootlegs.

Faerie
3rd June 2006, 8:16 PM
Four words: That's Viz for ya.

Kurama
5th June 2006, 5:43 PM
Actually, it isn't.

See, in the Japanese version of the manga and anime, Goku and Vegeta's fusion with the Potara Earrings cause the two to become Vegetto. FUNimation, for whatever reason, chose to go with the same name but a different spelling (Vegito). However, Viz chose to go with a completely new name (Vegerot) to match the Vegeta + Kakarrot namings.

While Vegerot DOES make sense, it doesn't sound right, nor is it the original name.

Thanks for the insightfulness. A better thing to have said would have been to calm down and actually think of something else to say rather than to spaz out over it.

Being the board's #1 Dragon Ball fan, I too don't like what was done but am not going ape **** over it. o_O;
thanks for the insight

2cool4serebii
17th June 2006, 1:23 AM
I just got my final volume of Dragonball a few days ago.. (DBZ volume 26) and I was almost excited that I finally had all 42 in both languages.. but then, soon as I flipped a couple of pages.. I found out that Vegetto's name had been altered to.. *shudder* Vegerot. WTF??! I've seen a lot of name changes before, but this is just ridiculous. First it was Hercule, followed by the edits, then Dijin Boo, and now this??! **** viz, **** all their gay-*** edits, **** Hercule, **** Djin Boo or whatever the hell it's called.. and most of all.. **** VEGEROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/gokutae/35618a61.jpg

See, even Vegetto's ******-off about this!
I'll have to 2nd that. I can't stand to see my favorite manga series being fiddled around with.

Gaiash
17th June 2006, 1:43 AM
I'll have to 2nd that. I can't stand to see my favorite manga series being fiddled around with.
This topic is old impossibly old (Sorry, Doctor Who on the brain)

MidnightScott
17th June 2006, 1:46 AM

Your saying too much about yourself. This is precisely why I don't read Manga. For one, I already have enough with the anime being ****ed with constantly. Viz is gonna screw it up I might as well buy those versions from Singapore in English.

BTW, whoever said it was old, it isn't. It was only made May 27th.

~Scott;229;

Gaiash
17th June 2006, 4:15 PM
Your saying too much about yourself. This is precisely why I don't read Manga. For one, I already have enough with the anime being ****ed with constantly. Viz is gonna screw it up I might as well buy those versions from Singapore in English.

~Scott;229;
Yeah but it hasn't had a reply in weeks

YoshiAngemon
17th June 2006, 4:45 PM
Well, at least 4Kids isn't in charge of editing the manga. if they were, they'd end up editing the cleavage out of Nami, Ms. Sunday, and other sexy female characters from One Piece, like they would in the Anime! And there's a REASON why 4Kids doesn't have a Manga division - They believe that American Children can't read, and are illiterate! If that's true, then you're all as Petarded as...
http://orbita.starmedia.com/ubira1/pumba.jpg - THIS Pig!

Skiks
17th June 2006, 4:54 PM
Well, at least 4Kids isn't in charge of editing the manga. if they were, they'd end up editing the cleavage out of Nami, Ms. Sunday, and other sexy female characters from One Piece, like they would in the Anime! And there's a REASON why 4Kids doesn't have a Manga division - They believe that American Children can't read, and are illiterate! If that's true, then you're all PETARDED!!!
They couldn't work on mangas anyways since Kids don't read. lawl that statement always makes me laugh. At least Viz has sorta safeguard some Anime's from 4kids clutches.

Yeah but it hasn't had a reply in weeks
It still hasn't been a month though. >>

2cool4serebii
17th June 2006, 9:13 PM
I have to address something you said. If they had a "safeguard" from 4kids as you say, then how come they changed Zoro's name to Zolo? I know this is nothing major, but I just thought I'd point that out.

HK
18th June 2006, 2:30 AM

~Scott;229;

DON'T. BE. AN. IGNORANT. MORON.

'Ey, newsflash: THIS IS ONLY WITH A FEW SERIES IN VIZ'S SHONEN JUMP/SHONEN JUMP ADVANCED LINE. EVERYTHING ELSE THAT THEY PUT OUT IS FINE. MOST SHOUNEN SERIES ARE HARDLY WORTHWHILE COMPARED TO OTHER STUFF OUT THERE. GET. IT. THROUGH. YOUR. HEAD.

And what anime are you talking about? Dragon Ball Z, or whatever? Or in general? If it's the former, then thank you for displaying more of your ignorance.

2cool4serebii
18th June 2006, 3:32 AM
Well, I don't particularly give a damn about the anime, though FUNimation has released most of the series copletely uncut(though the visual and audio quality is HORRIBLE 0_o), so I wouldn't say they ****ed it up or anything... though, if you enjoy that crappy assed excuse for an anime(crap-tastic fillers that fill up,like 85% of the entire run, and half the episodes being animated by a shitty team who draw and animate worse than a drugged-up 5 year old on crack.. I'm serious) then you should just buy the individual Dragon Boxes. For the ones who would rather enjoy the series instead of being forced to watch a dragged-on, horribly animated, and just plain ****ed up excuse for adaptation..yanno.

MidnightScott
18th June 2006, 4:45 AM
DON'T. BE. AN. IGNORANT. MORON.

'Ey, newsflash: THIS IS ONLY WITH A FEW SERIES IN VIZ'S SHONEN JUMP/SHONEN JUMP ADVANCED LINE. EVERYTHING ELSE THAT THEY PUT OUT IS FINE. MOST SHOUNEN SERIES ARE HARDLY WORTHWHILE COMPARED TO OTHER STUFF OUT THERE. GET. IT. THROUGH. YOUR. HEAD.

And what anime are you talking about? Dragon Ball Z, or whatever? Or in general? If it's the former, then thank you for displaying more of your ignorance.

Don't be a dickwad. I expressed that I might as well buy them from a foreign country if they continue to screw with stuff. That gets annoying - it's not rocket science to get a name correct -_-; - maybe they just had some newbie do this edition.

Also, quit typing in all Capitals, that's really annoying to read and it breaks the rules[/stfu]

kthnx

I want the Pokémon manga back in the US - but half the time I can't even find other Manga to buy. I would read it if it was available. Someone make a list of all of the Manga that gets screwed with so I know what to avoid.

~Scott;229;

HK
18th June 2006, 5:11 AM
Don't be a dickwad.

It's such a nice thing to know that all you can say is "dickwad," "shut your f*cking mouth, brat," "you are the ignorant one here," and "you don't need to be a little b*tch about it." I would be worried if I actually had to deal with maturity.

I expressed that I might as well buy them from a foreign country if they continue to screw with stuff.

Then buy the originals from Japan, because Viz has the English language rights to 'em. Oh, but you don't understand Japanese, then? Guess what, then you got nothing to complain about because you can't appreciate Viz actually bringing the series over.

That gets annoying - it's not rocket science to get a name correct -_-; - maybe they just had some newbie do this edition.

... Yeah, it makes sense for one of the longest running manga licensors in the U.S. to bring in somebody new and prone to mistakes to do an infamous series like Dragon Ball. Yeah, I see the logic there.

Also, quit typing in all Capitals, that's really annoying to read and it breaks the rules[/stfu]

Whoa, concept: maybe the entire post wasn't in capital letters, they were done to add emphasis, and I don't put about ninety-nine percent of my posts in capital letters, so I am not be a *hush* rule-breaker? *hush*

kthnx

lol l33t sp3k pwnz joo!!1111111

I want the Pokémon manga back in the US - but half the time I can't even find other Manga to buy. I would read it if it was available. Someone make a list of all of the Manga that gets screwed with so I know what to avoid.

~Scott;229;

And let us make a comparison list of all the manga that isn't edited or mishandled, shall we? Wait, that would mean that there are only about a dozen or two series that are like that, and hundreds of others brought over that aren't messed around with? Like, no way!

That Scary Clefairy
18th June 2006, 5:49 AM
Its true, Viz as a whole doesn't **** up but section assign people for certain manga (usually SJ lines) screw up. Signature series or action series aren't bad at all and they are pretty decent.

Chris
18th June 2006, 6:09 AM
The sad thing is that Dragon Ball's later stories (what is known as Z in the anime) were handled properly until the Artificial Humans were introduce in the US. :\

It's even sadder when the US is just about the only country that has these sort of edits and changes to the manga. It's like they changed the original team that was working on the early stages of the translation. o_o

MidnightScott
18th June 2006, 6:38 AM
Its true, Viz as a whole doesn't **** up but section assign people for certain manga (usually SJ lines) screw up. Signature series or action series aren't bad at all and they are pretty decent.

Well thats good to know, thankyou for telling me something instead of just calling me stupid for not knowing like HellKorn did.

What the hell is your problem HellKorn? You got nothing better to do then try to piss people off? Yeah, real mature of you.

Anyways - thanks TSC.

~Scott;229;

-Sonansu!-
18th June 2006, 2:52 PM
Yeah, Viz has been editing their manga for a while now. Apparently they got a lot of complaints from parents about Shonen Jump having cusswords and unedited violence and stuff, so they had to tone it down.

The most recent Viz edit I can think of is in Shaman King and it involved a character dropping their pants, exposing their front region (but it showed him from the back, so you only saw his bottom). But in the US SJ version they drew underwear on him.

I have DBZ Volume 25, and Gotenks actually uses Internet shorthand in it on page 111. He literally says, "BTW, I'm super strong now!" and Viz changed the rating of DBZ to "All Ages" even though they did leave words like "kill" in. I guess it's because of the edited FUNimation version that they do this.

Skiks
18th June 2006, 4:56 PM
I have to address something you said. If they had a "safeguard" from 4kids as you say, then how come they changed Zoro's name to Zolo? I know this is nothing major, but I just thought I'd point that out.
I'm taking about liscensing. 4Kids has to pay extra money to gain right to dub lets say Hunter X Hunter. Thats money they don't want to pay.

HK
19th June 2006, 12:06 AM
Well thats good to know, thankyou for telling me something instead of just calling me stupid for not knowing like HellKorn did.

Ignorance and stupidity are two seperate things. Get it right, dude.

What the hell is your problem HellKorn? You got nothing better to do then try to piss people off? Yeah, real mature of you.

When I'm bored and have nothing better to do, and if I see someone going off on the Internet about how a licensing company made a few changes to one of their favorite anime/manga series, then I'm interested. Like I mentioned in my reply to you, if they act like their religion was desecrated with a few changes, then I personally find it sad. Calm down, dude. You don't get maturity on your side by calling names like "dickwad" and "jackhole," either.

It's the Internets, boy. There are ignorant people, there are stupid people, there are arrogant people, there are intelligent people, and there are those who are quite cynical. All types gather here, and if you can't stand someone pointing out your ridiculous views, then don't bother to get on.

Feh, I'm just glad that Dragon Ball is finally done over here in the U.S. as far the manga goes. Now all we have to worry about are the Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece fan boys.

Chris
20th June 2006, 2:35 AM
Uh, as far as I'm aware, Bleach is being translated quite faithfully and isn't experiencing any problems like Naruto or One Piece. o_O

2cool4serebii
20th June 2006, 2:40 AM
That's probably because it's not in the magazine. I wish they'd drop Hikaru No Go and release it individually, because.. well, it's been going for almost, like 3 years now and they STILL haven't hit tankouban 10 yet. That's very slow progress, they should make Shounen Jump a weekly rather than monthly. And go back to it being uncensored, I might add.

Catalyst
20th June 2006, 2:40 AM
I don't really see a problem with Viz with the manga I buy, but if you don't like the work they produce don't buy their stuff so you can complain about it. Kthxbai.

[On a side note: there is nothing wrong with Bleach, Naruto or One Piece as far as I can see.]

2cool4serebii
20th June 2006, 2:45 AM
Then you must be blind. They censor all the good stuff.XD. I'd much rather download online scanslations for free(and they are even higher quality XD) than buy Viz's for 7.95, especially with all the mistranslations, censors, etc. Not to mention that they are about 25 friggen tankoubans behind, for pete's sake. Hell, DB has been finished in Japan for over 11 years and.. enough of that, I'll stop. I feel like I'm gonna burst a blood vessel right now...lfmao.

Catalyst
20th June 2006, 2:53 AM
DB is finished in dead in Japan. D;

When you mean the good stuff you mean all the sexual innuendos and stuff, eh, if you take it out the main content of the story still remains and so does the violence, except for that lame gun thing with DBZ, cussing has been toned down since the fusion of Viz and ShoPro media. It's still the same, the core of the story remains, that's all that is needed, and you have the original novels of DBZ in Japanese format, 2cool4serebii, so it's no loss to you. ;]

2cool4serebii
20th June 2006, 2:54 AM
I know, but it stil pisses me off.

Catalyst
20th June 2006, 2:57 AM
I may sound rude here, but why does it piss you off, if you have the originals, I mean, you have full exposure to the original content, full and uncut, you shouldn't be displeased. D;

You should be happy. ;D

Drew.
20th June 2006, 3:11 AM
Hurcule, I'm use to...FUNimation changed it to that in the Cut version that aired on TV, but Mr. Satan might have offended people... however the Uncut tapes/DVDs had him as Mr.Satan, and I figured the manga would do that too.... But thinking about it, there ARE small children that read the manga...
as for Vegerot.... its unnessisary, sounds rather stupid, and I don't really see what posessed them to make that change.... --___--

Chris
20th June 2006, 3:21 AM
That's probably because it's not in the magazine. I wish they'd drop Hikaru No Go and release it individually, because.. well, it's been going for almost, like 3 years now and they STILL haven't hit tankouban 10 yet. That's very slow progress, they should make Shounen Jump a weekly rather than monthly. And go back to it being uncensored, I might add.
Difficult to do as translating from Japanese is NOT a very easy process.

Then you must be blind. They censor all the good stuff.XD
Uh, now I gotta say you're full of crap. Nothing's been censored in Naruto or One Piece. They're simply using too many liberties in translation and going more for an adaption. One Piece is using dub names more often now and Naruto has had technique names changed up the wazoo (Byakugan becoming "Evil Eye") and has also had some retarded references just thrown in (such as Neji refering to Lee having a Moe Howard, from Three Stooges, haircut).

its unnessisary, sounds rather stupid, and I don't really see what posessed them to make that change.... --___--
Same reason why FUNi made some name changes (Room of Spirit and Time to "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"). To appear smart and make the show seem like it was more technical than it really was. Vegerot makes sense, but it doesn't sound right nor is it his name. Same as Majin Boo becoming Djinn Boo. Works well in thought, but his name is Majin Boo.

2cool4serebii
20th June 2006, 3:28 AM
Difficult to do as translating from Japanese is NOT a very easy process.
Doesn't matter; it's either meet the fans' demands, or you fail.

Uh, now I gotta say you're full of crap. Nothing's been censored in Naruto or One Piece. They're simply using too many liberties in translation and going more for an adaption. One Piece is using dub names more often now and Naruto has had technique names changed up the wazoo (Byakugan becoming "Evil Eye") and has also had some retarded references just thrown in (such as Neji refering to Lee having a Moe Howard, from Three Stooges, haircut).
Then I say you're full of ****. That girl bathing at the hot springs where Ebisu and Naruto had her breasts covered with an extra towel, which was only used in the original to cover up her p***y. And that's just to name.. uh.. one. There's plenty more, though.

-Sonansu!-
20th June 2006, 3:41 AM
That reminds me of this one Naruto edit, that wasn't in the original printing of Volume 1 but did show up in the re-releases.

In Volume 1 it showed a flashback to Naruto flipping off Iruka and saying "Up yours, Iruka!" and then in the subsequent re-releases, the middle fingers were edited out, and what Naruto said to him was changed to "Nyah, nyah, Master Iruka!"

That's kinda dumb since it was obvious that it was edited, and did they REALLY need to edit it in the re-release? I mean everyone that wants Volume 1 already has or has had the first printing (the unedited one), changing stuff in the re-releases isn't gonna do anything :P

2cool4serebii
20th June 2006, 3:42 AM
That too. Thanks for bringing that up, psyduck.

Chris
20th June 2006, 7:26 AM
Doesn't matter; it's either meet the fans' demands, or you fail.
Seriously dude, it's IMPOSSIBLE to translate a 300-page book of various Japanese manga and print them weekly. It's less work to actually draw up the manga, place in the text and have it printed weekly since various artists are drawing their own thing.

Translating from Japanese, making sure everything is set up correctly in translation, making any necessary edits and printing it together with other chapters is fairly difficult. Usually it takes a day or two for people to even scan and translate manga. And even then, translations tend to differ in order to bring them out to fans.

Otherwise, you end up like the folks who tried scanlating Dragon Ball before Viz got the rights. They ended up with a few mistranslations as well as several word balloons saying <Unable to Translate>.

Skiks
20th June 2006, 2:40 PM
Just to add to EE's comment unlike fan translations they don't have to print, make, and distribute thousands of copies of one manga volume. Thats alot of work.
Besides not all manga's are translated badly or even edited. I find it being cheap not buying the manga just because one or two cuss words were removed.

HK
21st June 2006, 1:35 AM
Uh, as far as I'm aware, Bleach is being translated quite faithfully and isn't experiencing any problems like Naruto or One Piece. o_O

Doesn't mean that you don't see some complainin'. Should've seen the first wave of reactions when they found out that Viz translated each of the Shinigami units as "Companies" instead of "Divisions." No, not as bad as Narutop or One Piece, but the fandom isn't devoid of b*tchers.

Putting that out monthly is hard enough -- weekly is just about impossible. You talk about giving into fan's demands? Either they put out volumes every two or three months, or else have the chapters come out monthly. You can't have anything else if you want to get them.

'Fraid to say that he is somewhat correct here with Naruto. As for One Piece, it seems to be the best translated and "original-in-tact" one that is still running in their monthly magazine from the last that I saw, although the translations sometimes make me wonder (i.e. ever since it first occured, saying "Navy" when it clearly says "Marine" on their uniforms).

Besides not all manga's are translated badly or even edited. I find it being cheap not buying the manga just because one or two cuss words were removed.

While I don't buy the volumes anyway (and haven't renewed my subscription to Shonen Jump -- don't plan on doing so), Arlong from One Piece saying "Blast you!" to Luffy in the middle of the fight seems so weak. And that's just one example. I'm not asking for all out cursing every single page, but when it is their I like to see it more often than a "Darn it!" or a "Son of a--" or even a "What the blue blazes are you talking about?". Sorry, when wanting to talk about the offspring of a female talking people don't cut themselves off for no apparent reason.

Skiks
21st June 2006, 1:47 AM
While I don't buy the volumes anyway (and haven't renewed my subscription to Shonen Jump -- don't plan on doing so), Arlong from One Piece saying "Blast you!" to Luffy in the middle of the fight seems so weak. And that's just one example. I'm not asking for all out cursing every single page, but when it is their I like to see it more often than a "Darn it!" or a "Son of a--" or even a "What the blue blazes are you talking about?". Sorry, when wanting to talk about the offspring of a female talking people don't cut themselves off for no apparent reason.
Well this I can agree with. All though I don't buy shonen jump I just wait for the manga volumes. Viz does a decent job aside from One piece's minor dialouge downgrade and DBZ/Naruto's Edits. I'm just happy how they are handling Hunter X Hunter so far. If they went by proper translation I'd be seeing names like Kurapika - Curarpikt, Hisoka - Hyskoa, Quoll/Kuroro Lucifer - Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, Ubogin - Wbererguin, Shizuku - Chzzok, Pakunoda - Phalcnothdk. Viz does listen to fans thats why they kept the way fans translated it. You just need to mail them physically if you hate a translation. I believe Gaara was spelled Gara or something like that until fans complained enough to have his name changed.

kaibachaoschampion
22nd June 2006, 9:33 PM
Well, its not just the Anime and Manga. In Dragonball Z Budokai 1 that I recently decided to collect the rest of the capsules i'm missing in. I play the final battle against cell again. After you beat him he says "Oh, you aunt sallies!" XDDD

how pathetic is that. Sorry I just didn't think that this was thread worthy yet I couldn't leave it out since its not ultimately off topic.

Eternity Absol
22nd June 2006, 9:57 PM
Has Viz by any chance changed around the names of any of the characters from Wolf's Rain?

HK
22nd June 2006, 11:38 PM
Has Viz by any chance changed around the names of any of the characters from Wolf's Rain?

No, because it isn't a part of their Shonen Jump/Shonen Jump Advanced lines. It's a part of their Action line. It's safe.

See, that's why I get p*ssed off for people having this belief that Viz screws around with all of their manga -- it's only a few of their vast selection of titles that they have, and it is really only with series that are shounen, are popular, and have no merit outside of being entertaining.

Eternity Absol
23rd June 2006, 1:40 AM
Oh, okay. That's good! xP Viz is pretty cool, but that sucks that they changed around the names for some of their mangas. D:

Konosuke
23rd June 2006, 1:45 AM
*sigh* Look, i know many others have said this before, but, DBZ is in the Shounen Jump line. If you thought edits werent supposed to happen, think again. They are aiming for a younger demographic (well, same as Japan, but they have a different culture than us) then what it probably should be (our 13-15 year olds) but what can ya do?

If you dont like it, why buy it? You probably cant read japanese anyway. But, if you want unedited material, go to Japan Amazon and buy the original tankubon from there.

Lord of the pants
23rd June 2006, 1:49 AM
They didn't change the names those are there original names the anime was the one that changed the names (Vegerot is called that because it went by gokus real name and yeah)

Chris
23rd June 2006, 8:44 AM
They didn't change the names those are there original names the anime was the one that changed the names (Vegerot is called that because it went by gokus real name and yeah)
Too bad Vegerot ISN'T the name of the fused character. Toriyama clearly wrote it as Vegetto. Not Vegerot. Vegerot is something Viz decided to do.

The anime doesn't change names that are from the manga. o_O

Konosuke
30th June 2006, 1:08 AM
It makes sense, but its not the case.