PDA

View Full Version : how do you make a website

stizi
3rd June 2006, 12:05 PM
hi how do you make a website i want to make a website for me and my friend

Torchic23
3rd June 2006, 12:09 PM
For you, I suggest you start off simple like I did, once you learn the simple stuff, you can move on to bigger and better things! Like HTML *Shudders*

So, I suggest starting with www.Freewebs.com where you can play around with your options and stuff. Good luck on your site!

stizi
3rd June 2006, 12:15 PM
well how do you make the html websites

Torchic23
3rd June 2006, 12:17 PM
Like I said, start simple, overworking yourself and expecting to learn HTML that fast won't work. But if you are really wanting to learn HTML, there are many good guides avalible, try searching Google or something.

I'm not sure I know of any free sites that use HTML, but I do know that if you get FreeWeb's Premium, you can use lots of HTML, and still get a nice looking site.

Omega Pirate
3rd June 2006, 12:25 PM
You could always start with MySpace. Though it doesn't teach you much. There are guides, Googled it :p

Ozzie
3rd June 2006, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure I know of any free sites that use HTML, but I do know that if you get FreeWeb's Premium, you can use lots of HTML, and still get a nice looking site.
Freewebs's free service actually allows you to use as much HTML as you want. CSS, too, even, and I'm fairly sure about Javascript, though don't hold me to that. You just have to pick, like, "Advanced" instead of "Make Your Site With the Site Wizard!" or whatever. Also, other free hosting sites I use are hostultra.com (which is excellent) and 1asphost.com (which is okay). :3

But stizi, the real trick to good website making is combining the use of several programming languages. HTML has a steep learning curve, and not in your favor: it takes about ten minutes to learn the basics from any random guide on the internet, but it takes years to fully understand and use to its maximum potential. If you're just looking to make a quick site that looks pretty and says things about yourself, go with a MySpace, as DriveshafT has said. You can find pre-made layouts by other people who already have web design skills - in fact, you don't need to know any at all about web design. You just need to have a name and a face. xD

stizi
3rd June 2006, 1:04 PM
Freewebs's free service actually allows you to use as much HTML as you want. CSS, too, even, and I'm fairly sure about Javascript, though don't hold me to that. You just have to pick, like, "Advanced" instead of "Make Your Site With the Site Wizard!" or whatever. Also, other free hosting sites I use are hostultra.com (which is excellent) and 1asphost.com (which is okay). :3

But stizi, the real trick to good website making is combining the use of several programming languages. HTML has a steep learning curve, and not in your favor: it takes about ten minutes to learn the basics from any random guide on the internet, but it takes years to fully understand and use to its maximum potential. If you're just looking to make a quick site that looks pretty and says things about yourself, go with a MySpace, as DriveshafT has said. You can find pre-made layouts by other people who already have web design skills - in fact, you don't need to know any at all about web design. You just need to have a name and a face. xD

yes but where and does it cost anything

Kal-El
3rd June 2006, 1:06 PM
Alrighty, let's just get one thing straight - HTML isn't that hard to learn. Note how pretty much everyone here uses Freewebs.

I didn't use a site builder at all, learnt HTML and it really wasn't that hard. It really depends on what kind of site your friend wants. A big one? Just to show off and say he has one?

stizi
3rd June 2006, 1:08 PM
i was thinking maybe make one to his birthday and he want a big one like serebii

Kal-El
3rd June 2006, 1:11 PM
Okay, you're probably good to learn a bit of HTML for the birthday one. What do you need? A few colours, an image and a bit of text. No big deal. Then you can get a small host like Freewebs.

Then you could learn a bit more HTML, CSS, etc. and begin to make one. Start out small.

stizi
3rd June 2006, 1:38 PM
well i meant a real one like serebii because he is writing a magazine.

Kal-El
3rd June 2006, 1:42 PM
As long as it's hosted it will be "real". But if you want it to be good like SPP, you may, like I said, want to learn HTML, CSS, etc.

Magma Leader Maxie
3rd June 2006, 3:27 PM
Grab a tutorial on the net about HTML. It's a "markup language" and it's easy to learn and use, but it takes some time and practice until you get used to it.

After you know solid HTML, I think you should learn how to do things in CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), which is very handy to help your site have a great look, but retain HTML simplicity.

Use those two until you're familiar with them and learn a scripting language (which allows you to make your website "come to life" and interact with the user) only if you need it.

And know that not a single web designer started with a giant and complicated website. Everyone starts small and simple. Whether you're planning to someday be a professional web designer, design websites just for fun, or whether this is just something you want to try, read tutorials and start building your internet knowledge.

Fiery Blaziken
4th June 2006, 11:55 PM
Alrighty, let's just get one thing straight - HTML isn't that hard to learn. Note how pretty much everyone here uses Freewebs.
Jsut becasue it's Freewebs doesn't mean it's not HTML made yanno. ._.

Kal-El
5th June 2006, 7:57 AM
Jsut becasue it's Freewebs doesn't mean it's not HTML made yanno. ._.
I didn't nessecerily say that. But a number of them don't use HTML, sadly.

Dragonfree
6th June 2006, 3:02 AM
Eh, since the starter of this thread has been banned, I might as well lock it.