PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Null Brooch

klducks
5th June 2006, 3:04 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/exodus/null_brooch.jpg
Null Brooch - Exodus. Rare
4: Artifact
2,T, Discard your hand: Counter target noncreature spell. Play this ability as an interrupt.
Give away everything so others have nothing.
-Brooch inscription

I'd like to note that YOU CAN PLAY THIS CARD EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO CARDS IN HAND. That being said, put this in a casual hellbent deck, and you got a mini Isocron Scepter + muddle the mixture in one. Still, it doesn't counter creature spells, which doesn't help much either. It's still a nice card though.

The Duck's Rating: 2.75/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th June 2006, 3:51 PM
Well, it does help get around Crowd Control and Direct Damage decks, since you'll stop the damage from getting to you......

A nice little card for Hellbent decks or desperate situations.

2.7/5.

Shadow Trainer
5th June 2006, 8:47 PM
A decent card. Usefull against some combo decks. 2/5

Runeseekermew
5th June 2006, 9:48 PM
not really good unless you hav an extreme hellbent deck
1/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
6th June 2006, 2:14 PM
Runeseeker, if you play a few games where you fight a deck where a single spell is the end of you, you'll love this artifact. Trust me.

skiboydoggy
10th June 2006, 4:17 PM
AND you play this as an interrupt, which while has no bearing on today's game, I would like to note owned when the Interrupt was still around. It outspeeded instants, hence allowing you to screw the bloody spell-resolving thing.

klducks
10th June 2006, 4:48 PM
AND you play this as an interrupt, which while has no bearing on today's game, I would like to note owned when the Interrupt was still around. It outspeeded instants, hence allowing you to screw the bloody spell-resolving thing.
Weren't Instants and Interrupts the same thing? Just the name got errataed?

Or am i wrong?

~RaikouRider243~
11th June 2006, 2:48 AM
Back before Classic Sixth Edition was released, the rules for Magic were INCREDIBLY convoluted. There was no stack, just this thing called the "batch". My understanding is that Interrupts were faster than instant speed, and could only be played during your opponent's turn. They would literally "interrupt" the batch/stack, and only interrupts could be played in response to an interrupt. Once the batch of interrupts was resolved, then instants could be played and the batch would resolve as normal.

I don't like this card, this is like taking a perplex to the face. Artifact makes it a little more useful. If it was blue, it would be downright worthless.

1.5/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
13th June 2006, 4:19 AM
It still saves your life in desperate situations anyway. >_<

skiboydoggy
13th June 2006, 6:17 AM
Unless you're playing Blue control.

Rudimentarybrain
14th June 2006, 4:26 AM
It doesnt save your life in desperate situations because your opponnent can see it and they will abuse that. if youre running MUC use counterspell, forcespike, daze, mana leak, thwart, memory lapse, hinder, Quash, Condescend, or foil, but in respective decks for the ones that you return islands, and god just dont use Null Brooch. if you want to use something good that counters that your opponents can see, run zurs weirding, but only if you base your deck around the card, and even then it may be hard to pull off. the only deck ive seen this card work in was tinker, and thats an unplayable deck now because tinker is banned. 1/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
17th June 2006, 3:05 AM
In today's terms, it's worthless, but if you've been reading above, back in the old days everybody would be afraid of putting their best cards on the table because in terms of spell speed, the interrupt was king. The only way to stop an interrupt is to play another one on it. But you can only play interrupts on your opponent's turn. Soooo...Yeah.

undisputed_seraphim
18th June 2006, 4:36 AM
Blue control = quite easy to empty your hand.

No hand = no excessive drawbacks to this spell.

great. but still not very great.

3.5/5