PDA

View Full Version : =5 Greatest Rivals=

Sachiko
8th June 2006, 5:24 AM
(icon: the angry, determined face of a rival!!! Dramatic, huh?)

Man, does every thread I start have to be in this section?!?! Oh well...

Name your top five rivals from a manga. Please tell what series they're from and explain why you picked them. You can list 'em off and explain later if you want, but don't just leave us standing here with no info, all right? Good.

My picks: (I hope I don't end up thinking of new ones a few days later and having to change these...)

5. Ash Ketchum and Gary Oak (you better know where this is from.).
4. Ran Kotobuki and Mami Honda (from GALS!)
3. Yugi Moto/ Yami Yugi and Seto Kaiba (from Yu- Gi- Oh, of course.).
2. Ami Uzuki and Noa Kurosawa (from Ultra Cute, my current obsession).

...And my number one favorites coming later!! But really guys, you should know this one. I can be a pretty obvious person when I want to be. TTU

Now, go on and shout out who your faves are. Also, if you have some general comments on rivalries, tell us those as well. I have one: I don't really like some friendly rivalries like in the Ruby and Sapphire games. They are pretty boring in my opinion. I read the words "A Gift From Your Rival" in one of the Nintendo game guides and I just sat there and wept.

Kabuto
17th June 2006, 8:57 PM
Here are some good ones:

Goku and Vegeta (dragonball z)
Naruto and Sasuke (naruto)
Rock Lee and Neji (naruto)
Sakura and Ino (naruto)
Gold and Silver (pokemon)

Catalyst
17th June 2006, 11:29 PM
Kurosaki Ichigo and Ishida Uryuu [Bleach]
Edward Elric and Envy [FMA]
Spike Spiegal and Vicious [Cowboy Bebop]
Kyo Souma and Yuki Spuma [Fruits Basket]

Cutiebunny
18th June 2006, 1:34 AM
Ayeka vs. Ryoko.. Tenchi Muyo!
Domeki vs. Kimihiro Watanuki ... XXXholic
Sakura Kinomoto vs. Li Syoaran... Cardcaptor Sakura(Clow Chapter)
Sakura Kinomoto vs. Eriol........... Cardcaptor Sakura (Sakura card chapter)
Eudial vs. Witches 5.................. Pretty Soldier Sailormoon
Queen Nehenlenia vs. Sailormoon...Pretty Soldier Sailormoon
Queen Beryl vs. Princess Serenity..Pretty Soldier Sailormoon

HK
18th June 2006, 1:42 AM
Here are some good ones:

Goku and Vegeta (dragonball z)
Naruto and Sasuke (naruto)
Rock Lee and Neji (naruto)
Sakura and Ino (naruto)
Gold and Silver (pokemon)

Except for the first one (despite the series itself being rather bad), no, those aren't even candidates for the greatest rivalries in manga.

Kurosaki Ichigo and Ishida Uryuu
Edward Elric and Envy [FMA]
[B]Spike Spiegal and Vicious [Cowboy Bebop]
Kyo Souma and Yuki Spuma [Fruits Basket]

... This is manga, not anime.

Anyway, my personal list that I've quickly thrown together, in order of personally viewed in terms of greatest rivalries:

Berserk - Guts and Griffith
Trigun/Trigun Maximum - Vash and Knives
Death Note - Light and L
Vagabond - Miyamoto Mushashi and Sasaki Kojiro *
Hellsing - Alucard and Anderson

* True rivalry in terms of history, and is applied a bit differently in the manga and is still developing.

Yeah, that's what I got after thinking about it for thirty seconds.

2cool4serebii
18th June 2006, 2:03 AM
Except for the first one (despite the series itself being rather bad), no, those aren't even candidates for the greatest rivalries in manga.

How is Dragonball bad, sure the anime might suck and bore the viewer to the verge of gnawing their eyes out with a fork,but the original manga ain't that bad. It may lack some character depth and development, and a good plot, but the fights were entertaining for the most part, at least before they went all "you can't win a fight unless you're a Super Saiya-jin" and got limited to bulked men throwing blasts of energy, destroying the universe and what-not.. but it's still pretty much the classic of the 20th and 21st century, and people still like it, over a decade after its conclusion.. even if it might not really compare to some of today's recent manga series'... whatever, it's your opinion..

Anyway, my personal list that I've quickly thrown together, in order of personally viewed in terms of greatest rivalries:

Berserk - Guts and Griffith
Trigun/Trigun Maximum - Vash and Knives
Death Note - Light and L
Vagabond - Miyamoto Mushashi and Sasaki Kojiro *
Hellsing - Alucard and Anderson

Yeah, but Griffith had his tongue and muscles cut out, plus there was no "Maximum,"and in addition to that, L is friggen dead, though he put up quite a fight.. I never read the last 2(though you could provide me a link via pm) so don't ask me for y thoughts on those..

HK
18th June 2006, 4:17 AM
How is Dragonball bad, sure the anime might suck and bore the viewer to the verge of gnawing their eyes out with a fork,but the original manga ain't that bad. It may lack some character depth and development, and a good plot, but the fights were entertaining for the most part, at least before they went all "you can't win a fight unless you're a Super Saiya-jin" and got limited to bulked men throwing blasts of energy, destroying the universe and what-not.. but it's still pretty much the classic of the 20th and 21st century, and people still like it, over a decade after its conclusion.. even if it might not really compare to some of today's recent manga series'... whatever, it's your opinion..

There's the point, there. I used to like Dragon Ball, but not anymore. I still do greatly enjoy the original sixteen volumes of Dragon Ball, but the remaining twenty-six volumes aren't all that great, except for possibly up until Freeza.

Yeah, but Griffith had his tongue and muscles cut out, plus there was no "Maximum,"and in addition to that, L is friggen dead, though he put up quite a fight.. I never read the last 2(though you could provide me a link via pm) so don't ask me for y thoughts on those..

Please, dude, spoiler tags for those who haven't read.

For the case of Berserk...

So what Griffith pretty much lost all physical capabilities? With the Eclipse, he was essentially reborn, and Guts has been after revenge to kill him ever since then. Basic overview, but honestly I consider it to be one of the best, if not the best rivalry in manga.

Oh, and yes, there is a Trigun Maximum manga, dude. It's just re-titled after Nightow switched publishers. It's still the same manga, just with another name to go by.

For the case of Death Note...

Yeah, L did lose, though that doesn't take away from their rivalry. Just because it ends doesn't mean that it wasn't great.

For Vagabond and Hellsing, I will send ya a PM. Look out for it.

2cool4serebii
18th June 2006, 4:38 AM
There's the point, there. I used to like Dragon Ball, but not anymore. I still do greatly enjoy the original sixteen volumes of Dragon Ball, but the remaining twenty-six volumes aren't all that great, except for possibly up until Freeza.
I wholeheartedly concur. Except it's still on the top of my list.. for obvious reasons. I've been a fan of this manga for 6 years straight, and even though I can definitely agree that there are dozens of better series' out there.. It's still my favorite.

Please, dude, spoiler tags for those who haven't read.

For the case of Berserk...

So what Griffith pretty much lost all physical capabilities? With the Eclipse, he was essentially reborn, and Guts has been after revenge to kill him ever since then. Basic overview, but honestly I consider it to be one of the best, if not the best rivalry in manga.
sorry man, I'm still quite new to this; I didn't know. And I'm probably REALLY behind on the manga considering I'm only up to the point where the U.S. one is at, and am loving it..(though we could do without the constant raping of women every time we turn around.. that's just uncalled for.) it's overpriced as hell, too. It took me a couple of months of saving up to buy all 11.. damn.

Oh, and yes, there is a Trigun Maximum manga, dude. It's just re-titled after Nightow switched publishers. It's still the same manga, just with another name to go by.
Just like how "Z" was added to the latter half of Dragonball. It was originally the same damn thing..

For the case of Death Note...

Yeah, L did lose, though that doesn't take away from their rivalry. Just because it ends doesn't mean that it wasn't great.
having been a fan of this myself for almost a year,(though now I just don't enjoy Light/Raito laughing like a friggen psycho on drugs and the whole entire thing being pretty much all talk... save for the Light vs. L fight.. LOL-worthy at least) I've been aware of that for a while now. Though I've moved onto better series', this one is probably the better ones in the Shounen Jump line.

For Vagabond and Hellsing, I will send ya a PM. Look out for it.
Thank you in advance.

That Scary Clefairy
18th June 2006, 5:23 AM
sorry man, I'm still quite new to this; I didn't know. And I'm probably REALLY behind on the manga considering I'm only up to the point where the U.S. one is at, and am loving it..(though we could do without the constant raping of women every time we turn around.. that's just uncalled for.) it's overpriced as hell, too. It took me a couple of months of saving up to buy all 11.. damn.

Ah I see. If volume 11 and all the raping disturb you then get rid of the book. you'll doing for a joy ride with the sexual stuff from volume 12 and onward. I have no probalem with it as back in those medevil days, people (minus demons :p) really did those things. If you took away the demons and supernatural stuff in Berserk, Berserk would been a perfect portrayal of real lfe medevil europe.

reason its over priced is cause DH does excellent qualities and translations on the books. they are top notch companies with hardly any mistakes.

Glad you like it.

Just like how "Z" was added to the latter half of Dragonball. It was originally the same damn thing..

Well sort or and no. You see, originally it was called Trigun under Shonen Captain but it went out of business but Nightow really wanted to finish the series so Young King Ours comes along(though wanted him to do a new series) and agree to let him continue but since the first company has right to Trigun title, Nightow decides to called it Trigun Maximum.

With DB/DBZ, Toei calles it DBZ as a seperation point of Goku's life.

Sachiko
30th June 2006, 1:28 PM
No one's really explaining their choices... I'll explain mine now.

5. It was funny how in the Kanto episodes, Gary was always one step ahead of Ash...

4. They went from street fighting to friends, sort of. They don't hate each other anymore, but each one wants to make sure everyone knows they're the #1 kogal!! I like them because they're stylish, confidant, and tough!!

3. Let's see... Yami and Kaiba go way back- they were an Egyptian Pharaoh and priest!! Thay had a conflict however, and it's reunited in the present day- Kaiba wants to be the #1 duelist, and he can't be because Yami is #1!!! (unless he threatens to kill himself) Since Yami's ancient soul shares a body with Yugi, they actually both are Kaiba's rivals. Yugi especially tries to be nice to Kaiba and be friends but Kaiba clearly isn't interested. I picked these three 'cause of their interesting story, and because they are cool!!

2. Ami and Noa are rivals.... at love!!! They are now together with Tamon and Tomohiro respectively and each want to have their relationship move faster than the other... until Ami discovers the boy's ulterior motives and tries to warn Noa!! These two are fierce rivals, but they're friends, as the bonus flashback story in volume 2 reveals. They're both funny and I like their confidence.

Since I lost most of this the first time I tried to post and had to retype it, and since I'm lazy, I'll save my #1 rivals for another time. But you already know who they are, don't you??

My picks: (I hope I don't end up thinking of new ones a few days later and having to change these...)

*reads Rancid Meat's post* I wish I 'd picked Sakura and Ino from Naruto.
.... Or Naruto and Sasuke. Or Kakashi and Guy Sensei. Or Rock Lee and Sasuke. Or.... *goes on and on*