PDA

View Full Version : Slaking Kong! (455)

Serebii
8th June 2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/455.jpgSlaking Kong!

On their way to the Grand Festival at the Indigo Plateau, Ash & Co. come across a large group of Aipom, however the mischievous Aipom steal Ash's Hat and May's Ribbon Case and run off. However when they track down the Aipom, it turns out they worship a Giant Slaking who soon appears and kidnaps May. Can Ash & Co. rescue May from the Giant Slaking and get the Hat and Ribbon Case back in time for May to participate in the Grand Festival?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/455.shtml)

Discuss

Endoplasmic Reticulum
8th June 2006, 2:15 PM
Wow, looks like a good filler. I wonder if the aipom is going to follow or is one of the characters going to catch it?

Roeno
8th June 2006, 2:19 PM
aipom will have an important roll here, I think. Maybe it will be caught by one of the main characters or it may follow them, like jigglypuff did..

Serebii
8th June 2006, 2:20 PM
People, please remember the rules of these discussions...please dont post until you've seen the ep, read the guide or seen the pictures. And Please don't post apologising either

Nintendo Theatre
9th June 2006, 1:03 AM
Sorry to all of you believers but...

Ash did not catch Aipom., Neither did Brock or May.

So sad...really but funny for a filler.

The Great Butler
9th June 2006, 1:05 AM
Dang. So I was wrong about Slaking Kong being Ash's Frontier capture/Pyramid trump card too, then. I hope there was some kind of backstory to this.....

CyberCubed
9th June 2006, 1:06 AM
Aipom returns after the GF though, so it's only a semi-filler. In any case, the King Kong parody had me interested since the getgo.

Chatsy
9th June 2006, 11:19 AM
The giant Slaking was merely a robot Team Rocket made to get food/sacrifices from the ape Pokémon, Aipom, Mankey, Vigoroth and regular Slaking respectively.

Ash gave up his beloved hat since the Aipom liked it so much, but go it back at the end of the episode plus a piece of fruit and a pink flower. Awwww~

When May fell, Ash sent out his Sceptile to save her.

For the Ash fangirls - Ash was hatless practically the entire episode except for a total of a few minutes from the start and the end.

FireHead Hank
9th June 2006, 12:06 PM
Seen the pics.

I'm really impressed how real the robot Slaking looked...but the "real" average Slaking's looked a bit too small, I'm a little disapointed with that.

Nice filler, I really like the monkey Pokemon.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th June 2006, 12:17 PM
It does look like Aipom is following the group, so hopefully Ash wil get it.

Joe
9th June 2006, 12:25 PM
Ooh, that was cool. =D Swellow-fighter-plane = awesome.

I'm really impressed how real the robot Slaking looked...but the "real" average Slaking's looked a bit too small, I'm a little disapointed with that.
Yeah, that's what I thought. They looked really tiny compared to the Normal Gym battle. They were only just bigger than the Vigoroth. 0o

Gaiash
9th June 2006, 2:19 PM
Anyway I liked the screens, I can't wait to watch the episode and use footage from it for another fake trailer (GUESS which film trailer will be the audio). Oh and the Aipom in this episode is cool, I feel somewhat disapointed it wasn't caught but I wasn't expecting it to be.

jolteonjak
9th June 2006, 3:47 PM
That screenie of Pikachu Volt Tackling Cacnea is pretty cool. Interesting the Slaking turned out to be a Mecha.

I'm not sure that I'm relieved about that or disappointed.

The Big Al
9th June 2006, 3:53 PM
We can not only add King Kongo to the "Spoofed by Pokemon" list but also Scooby Doo. This screamed Scooby Doo rip off. Even the old man telling the story and then the mech to seal the deal.

Serebii
9th June 2006, 4:00 PM
And they would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids

Na, if it was Scooby Doo like then it would have been the old man controlling the Slaking

The Big Al
9th June 2006, 4:05 PM
Though this is Pokemon. It doesn't have to be perect but it's still a ripoff.

Pika-pika-chu

MechaBulba
9th June 2006, 4:07 PM
Seem the ep pics. Always a gd viewing!

Ash and Aipom looked 2 make a gd team when at the cliff base by the river.
And the open ending of Aipom showing effection 2 Ash screams a possible "Follower" Pokemon like Jigglypuff or Snubble. However hopefully It will met up with Ash latter down the road and decided 2 join his team unlike the pass "follower" pokemon who just seemed 2 endlessy follow the mian characters, become very annoying them disappear.

I can see this Aipom following Ash 2 the end of the BF then get capture by him and become a strong team member with possible new evo in the D/P land.

Ashy Boy
9th June 2006, 4:09 PM
Jessie really crossed the line this time by mocking May with her stolen ribbon case.

V Faction
9th June 2006, 6:22 PM
Though this is Pokemon. It doesn't have to be perect but it's still a ripoff.

Pika-pika-chu
But Scooby-Doo? Not this time, Gadget!

I'm getting a little bored with Pokemon's animation. Yeah, I know what you're thinking guys, "Getting bored? Where have you been?" But it's high time they started to step up to the plate. Why do we have to put up with only one or two episodes with great animation? Let's see that the whole way through. Weekly basis or not, there's more to animation than walking, running, and mouth flaps. Heck, the gang must suffer from the worst case of pit sweat ever seen.

Next week's preview wasn't spectacular either. Things are so cut and dry.

~Shining-Metagross~
9th June 2006, 6:43 PM
And they would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids

Na, if it was Scooby Doo like then it would have been the old man controlling the Slaking
Not forgetting the whole Mask Feasco, revealing that the old man is not the old man, but is a ****** off Harley!

But meh, this is a Ok looking filler. Aipom looks like it is following the group(and makes me want to use one in my team now, it looks so sweet! ^_^)

CyberCubed
9th June 2006, 6:49 PM
But Scooby-Doo? Not this time, Gadget!

I'm getting a little bored with Pokemon's animation. Yeah, I know what you're thinking guys, "Getting bored? Where have you been?" But it's high time they started to step up to the plate. Why do we have to put up with only one or two episodes with great animation? Let's see that the whole way through. Weekly basis or not, there's more to animation than walking, running, and mouth flaps. Heck, the gang must suffer from the worst case of pit sweat ever seen.

Next week's preview wasn't spectacular either. Things are so cut and dry.

Well as you said, animating a new episode for practically every week for the entire year with only a one week break has got to be taxing.

If Pokemon only had 2 new episodes a month or something, then yeah, I'd expect stellar animation in each new episode. But c'mon, we know these guys are stressed. Writing, storyboarding, and animating new episodes on a weekly basis? These guys don't get any time off!

By that, it's no surprise that the writing or animation takes plunges during certain weeks, because they're almost slaves to the series. After watching this new episode, makes me imagine a bunch of Japanese men being whipped by a ton of Aipom to churn out a new ep every week.

Anyway, this episode rocked. Pictures don't do it justice, I loved it. Pretty much a split Ash/May spotlight episode, since they both had major parts devoted to them due to their hat/ribbons being stolen.

Missingno. Master
9th June 2006, 7:05 PM
Yeah, I hope Aipom becomes the next Jigglypuff/Snubbull/Delibird/Loudred.

OFFTOPIC; I made 2 other posts in this thread and now they're both gone. WTF happened here?

Torkoal Stu
9th June 2006, 7:27 PM
Was I the only one who thought the Aipom wearing Ash's hat looked too much like the older Pichu bro? o_o

Yeah, I hope Aipom becomes the next Jigglypuff/Snubbull/Delibird/Loudred.
Can Loudred really count? It was in it for like what 2 episodes? And only in Dewford, IMO Spoink is a better example of Jigglypuff than Loudred since Spoink showed up in TWO DIFFERENT places while Loudred was only on Dewford, also no the Exploud Loudred and the Loudred from the Jiggly episode were not the one from Dewford.

But Jiggly, Snubbull and Delibird are unable to be argued against due to their constant poping up, not as much for Delibird though.

OMG more Anime mis-sizing, Slaking looked waaaay smaller than Norman's, maybe it was to seem like the Giant Slaking Robot was bigger?

V Faction
9th June 2006, 7:34 PM
Well as you said, animating a new episode for practically every week for the entire year with only a one week break has got to be taxing.

If Pokemon only had 2 new episodes a month or something, then yeah, I'd expect stellar animation in each new episode. But c'mon, we know these guys are stressed. Writing, storyboarding, and animating new episodes on a weekly basis? These guys don't get any time off!

By that, it's no surprise that the writing or animation takes plunges during certain weeks, because they're almost slaves to the series. After watching this new episode, makes me imagine a bunch of Japanese men being whipped by a ton of Aipom to churn out a new ep every week.
Other anime's do it no problem and their animation is at least a step up above Pokemon's. That's what I'm trying to get at: that there isn't (or shouldn't) be any restrictions on the quality of the episodes' animation other than the direction of the animators themselves.

Digital art to work with? It's there. A high following of interest? You bet; Pokemon is a super popular series, both on and off the anime. Episodes of anime get brought out every week for a number of series out there. What's stopping Pokemon from matching Naruto or One Piece?

Even the style seems flat, but that could be just simple mimicry of the Pokemon art style itself. That can't excuse the absence of expression and liveliness in animation, though. And that all kind of ties into the episode. Why can't we see Slaking accidentally fall asleep. Where's May's cute sheepishness? Did Max stop being a know-it-all brainer? What's stopping them from having James being dashing or Ash being headstrong or putting some effort into how funny a character can act? That's what I'd like to see... Something that reminds us that these characters aren't just pieces of cardboard.

Squirtlefan1
9th June 2006, 8:22 PM
Well there is a future episode called Aipom and the King revealed by Serebii today which may include the one that took Ash's hat which is when one of the group may capture.

Addydo
9th June 2006, 8:24 PM
Saw the episode Pics. :) I was disappointed that the Giant Slaking turned out to be a TR Robot. :( The normal size Slaking looked a bit to small an thin, compared to Norman's. Other than that I liked it. :) Also, Aipom looks like a great Pokemon for Ash; I sure hope he catches it in that one episode after the GF! :D

HoennMaster
9th June 2006, 9:40 PM
I was disappointed that the Giant Slaking turned out to be a TR Robot. :(

As was I. I was hoping for a true giant pokemon like Claydol from Izabe Island. Anyway, It turned out to be a good episode besides that.

Yamato-san
9th June 2006, 9:40 PM
And I'm no Advanceshipper, but I'd sure as hell take it over Pokeshipping and Contestshipping. To my friends CyberCubed, Dark Wobbuffet, and various other Advanceshippers, I'll be rooting for you with this episode. May Satoshi (or his Jukain/Oosubame under his control) be the one to save Haruka from falling to her death and not Takeshi/filler dude.

[watches Haruka get saved by Jukain] YAY! ^^

Sweet, they played that b*tchin' music from Ariados's Scary Face appeal in this episode (it was during the first scene at the gate, I think). Speaking of music, this episode also featured a pretty spiffy instrumental of "Spurt!"... but then Symphonic Medley played near the end (I knew that song was getting to be over-used -_-).

Is it just me, or when Haruka opened her Ribbon Case at the episode, it made the same sound effect as a Monster Ball expanding (if it did that before, I certainly never noticed)? Why the hell does that case have to sound like an electronic?

V Faction, I can agree with you on the animation. When they're walking at the beginning of the episode, I swear, in some scenes, it almost felt like they were some cut-outs glued to popcicle sticks with someone just bouncing them up and down to give the impression of walking. In this day and age where computers make everything easier, there's really no excuse that the good animation comes once in a blue moon, especially when you gave examples of other long-running series that do use high-quality stuff week after week (BTW, you forgot Bleach, which f***ing owns your soul).

Feity
9th June 2006, 9:50 PM
Hmm, needs more fog.

Naw, just kidding. Looks for now like Aipoms gonna be a follower, or maybe he'll be like Spoink and just show up again.

ghost master
9th June 2006, 10:04 PM
[watches Haruka get saved by Jukain] YAY! ^^ I totally called that one.

The episode was ok not the best in the world but it was alright. Now lets wait another 2 weeks for the GF to start.

Blaziken master
9th June 2006, 10:08 PM
It was great to hear a lyricless version of the current theme, it really spiced up the action.I loved the part where swellow collided wiith the slaking robot.

V Faction
9th June 2006, 10:21 PM
[watches Haruka get saved by Jukain] YAY! ^^
One of the coolest things about the episode.

Is it just me, or when Haruka opened her Ribbon Case at the episode, it made the same sound effect as a Monster Ball expanding (if it did that before, I certainly never noticed)? Why the hell does that case have to sound like an electronic?
Since I can't remember too well, was the new one always like that? The case is rather gimmicky when her previous one was suitable enough.

(BTW, you forgot Bleach, which f***ing owns your soul).
I did, didn't I.

The Great Butler
9th June 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm rather sick of Sceptile >_> Other than that, great episode. The Aipoms were utterly adorable, and Slakong being a TR Mecha was definitely a surprise.

Gravy
10th June 2006, 12:02 AM
I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up too high for this one, as quite frankly, it was rather boring.

I don't know about anyone else, but Slaking being another of Team Rocket's robotic contraptions ruined it for me. There were so many different paths they could have taken with that beast, but they just HAD to whittle their choices down to Boring Avenue and Generic Boulevard. Why not an overly passionate Slaking, or an insanely powerful, yet comically incompetant bum? WHY NOT A SLAKING THAT ACTUALLY ACTS LIKE SLAKING?!
Even driving away from Slaking Kong's personallity, we could have had some other interesting developments in it's place. How about one of Ash's team facing off against the collosal fiend and using their height difference to their advantage for example.

It's the kind of situation that makes you want to rip the hair from your head, because with a set-up like this, there's a lot they could have accomplished.

The actual plot wasn't anything to write home about either. That little jaunt with the hat lovin' Aipiom was, for lack of a better word, pointless. I honestly didn't give a crap about the ape pokémon's plight, nor were any of the developments particulary interesting. Whoop-de-doo, the pokémon find out their god is a fake and Ash and company help 'em out. Big friggin' deal.
I'm afraid one or two cool moments like Sceptile rescuing Haruka and Wobbuffet in a wig don't make the episode any better.

...and why the hell was Vigoroth there? Come on, apart from the knuckle dragging arms, it doesn't look much like an ape at all.

Even the style seems flat, but that could be just simple mimicry of the Pokemon art style itself. That can't excuse the absence of expression and liveliness in animation, though. And that all kind of ties into the episode. Why can't we see Slaking accidentally fall asleep. Where's May's cute sheepishness? Did Max stop being a know-it-all brainer? What's stopping them from having James being dashing or Ash being headstrong or putting some effort into how funny a character can act? That's what I'd like to see... Something that reminds us that these characters aren't just pieces of cardboard.
Hole in One. Touchdown. Goal. Homerun. Bullseye.
In other words, I whole-heartedly agree. There's absolutly nothing stopping them from improving the overall quality of this show, as they most likely have the budget and resources to do so. It's a shame they consistantly insist on taking a 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it' approach to most episodes, as the way a show is animated can really effect the overall enjoyment of the show. I guess as long as it gets decent enough ratings, they have no motivation to really go the extra mile.

Though if I may say so, I thought Combusken's rotating Quick Attack and juggular peircing Sky Uppercut looked incredibly slick. Sh!t, that entire battle scene with Seviper was a saving grace. The quality kind of boosted for a whole 15 seconds (!!!) and then dropped again when stock-footage-James whipped out his Cacnea.

Yamato-san
10th June 2006, 12:35 AM
even though the show's animation is still pretty lackluster, you must admit, the music seems to have taken a step in the right direction (read my previous comment on instrumental Spurt! and Ariados appeal BGM). Remember last year, when we were complaining about the music seeming too cartoony? But yeah, I can agree that this episode was pretty lackluster for the most part.

I don't know about anyone else, but Slaking being another of Team Rocket's robotic contraptions ruined it for me. There were so many different paths they could have taken with that beast, but they just HAD to whittle their choices down to Boring Avenue and Generic Boulevard. Why not an overly passionate Slaking, or an insanely powerful, yet comically incompetant bum? WHY NOT A SLAKING THAT ACTUALLY ACTS LIKE SLAKING?!
Even driving away from Slaking Kong's personallity, we could have had some other interesting developments in it's place. How about one of Ash's team facing off against the collosal fiend and using their height difference to their advantage for example.

come to think of it.... why the hell didn't they expand on the giant silhouette that Taylor (the filler guy) saw? If Kekking Kong's just a robot, then what the hell was that flashback all about? Just a little plot device that got dropped faster than the GS Ball? For that matter... is it just me, or did Taylor say "ichi nen mae" (one year ago) when talking about his encounter? Given how much younger he looks, there is no way in hell that could've been a year ago (if I'm getting the quote wrong, please correct me).

Oh, I forgot to say this in my last post, but... thank god the "Remembering Pokemon DX" is finally gone. That had to have been one of the more retarded parts of the already retarded Pokemon Trivia Quiz, and it was not worthy of the name "deluxe" ('specially when regular "Remembering Pokemon" actually seemed more complex). This new quiz they got actually doesn't seem that bad compared to most... though, to people like us fans, whom are very knowledgeable on each Pokemon and their types, it's still crap. I still await the day Orchid's Lectures make a comeback, but at least this is much less intelligence-insulting than that DX bulls***. We even get a change in background music (instrumental Pocketari Monstari).

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th June 2006, 1:10 AM
Noooo! Taylor was the filler characters name, that is 2 letters away from my real name! Why won't they use Tyler for the COTD for once!

Anyway, okay episode, that Aipom is cute and I hope Ash catches it. I actually was surprised it was a robo-Slaking, no one saw that coming. Spurt BGM ROCKS!

The Benmeister
10th June 2006, 1:39 AM
I would have to agree with the members who said that this episode could've had much more potential. And that's because it could have. In fact, the potential was there...but nothing happened to bring it out in the form of excitement. I was suprised that the giant Slaking was a mecha, but for most people that would either be a make or break point in this episode. Sadly, it was more of a break point than a make point.

The King Kong sequence wasn't even that long. It was like everything in it was stuffed into the preview and nothing else seemed to matter. I thought the episode might actually provide a decent King Kong spoof, but now I know not to make future similar errors like that again.

And small Slaking - how about no. They seemed very out of place.

Sceptile is very overshowcased, but it probably only appeared in this episode as it was the only thing big enough to catch May.

I, myself, preferred the Jessie and May rivalry over everything else in the episode. I really loved Jessie's evilness, and taunting May with her ribbon case *insert outrage from rabid May fan*. Of course, Jessie was doomed from the start, but at least we had a good Combusken vs. Seviper battle. In fact, Combusken got a lot of battle spotlight in this episode.

And despite the cuteness of the Aipoms, I don't see any relevance to the whole hat plot at all.

Dreamcoat
10th June 2006, 2:07 AM
What about taking it easy with Slaking? Yes, I know it seems smaller than the one Norman owns, but try and stop for a moment and think about it.

It should be obvious for anyone with even the slightest amount of intelligence that this is one of the very few examples used to show that the PKMN in the animé are all different individuals and they are not all the same, just like it's the case for us humans.

The Benmeister
10th June 2006, 2:11 AM
I'm focusing more on the fact that the small Slaking looked out of place more than anything else. They can be individual all they want, but that doesn't stop them looking slightly odd. In fact, they should've replaced them with Slakoth or Primeape since usually the 'head Pokemon' is one of a kind in that particular location. The Blastoise in Kanto comes to mind, as does the Venusaur, as does the...well, you get what I mean.

S.Suikun
10th June 2006, 3:01 AM
I was wondering if we would ever hear that instrumental Spurt again. The only time we heard it before was in the preview for the Deoxys special. Is it me, or were there some seriously off-model faces in this episode? Regarding the normal Slaking being a bit small, I believe this was done by the same animation team that did the Smoochum episode, which featured some very stunted Jynxes.

Really, not much to say about this episode other than the Aipom plot being a possible foreshadow for the Aipom episode after the Grand Festival.

CyberCubed
10th June 2006, 3:14 AM
So am I right in saying that Ash really didn't care if the Aipom kept his hat? He seemed to just go about his way and not care, which is why he was surprised when he saw Aipom leave his hat on a rock.

Wow, I know this is only a silly hat his mother bought him, as opposed to his original that he sent in a million post cards for, but it's kinda funny.

Lil Brother
10th June 2006, 3:55 AM
I'm rather sick of Sceptile >_>...

How? o.o

That was a rhetorical question, nobody answer that!

There were no Primeape. o.o I would have loved for Ash to go "Oh no, my hat is missing! Hey look, a Primeape! ...wait a minute..."

I love Aipom now.

I was so excited when the episode seemed to be finishing and Ash didn't get his hat back! ^^ I was like "Oh cool, we get an actual change and the Ahs fangirls get to see him hatless every week!" But then of course Aipom decided to give it back, after the goodbye scene. :/

BG Spirt was cool. PSM... not so much.

When this gets dubbed, I hope whoever's dubbing it has May say something like "This is because I'm the girl, isn't it?!" when she gets grabbed. XD

But all around great ep.

Chatsy
10th June 2006, 8:13 AM
I really loved how Team Rocket actually managed to create a realistic robot which wasn't obvious until it was revealed.
I thought they had fooled the Slaking, but I'm glad to see I was wrong. It's nice to see they can still be very sneaky and almost successful again.

Torchic23
10th June 2006, 8:21 AM
Oh my gawd. This episode sucked, from my POV! I was expecting a lot more than that

C'mon, the whole King Kong thing lasted about 10 seconds, why did they fool us so bad?! I was really looking forward to it, now I'm very disappointed. The Grand Festival better be a heck of a lot better ;_;

I'm sorry to bash, I just was so disappointed. Maybe I should watch it again, perhaps I'll like it.

Porygandrew
10th June 2006, 1:52 PM
So.. Is the Team Rocket Mech page dead? I haven't heard about it being updated for quite some time, and this would/does fit perfectly within that page - perhaps one of TRs best disguised mechs ever.

Satoshi
10th June 2006, 5:23 PM
The animation killed it for me, no doubt about it.

Though, some things that saved this episode from being all bad was:
-Spurt! instrumental
-About 44 seconds of good animation when Wakasyamo was battling Habunake and Pikachu battling Sabonea...but then reverted back to the dull lifeless animation when Sabonea made an impact with Rocket-Dan causing them to blast off.
-Hatless Satoshi for the fangirls.

Oh, look (http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/772/vlcsnap203795ii.png) and compare (http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2222/vlcsnap199732fm.png). The Kekking weren't really smaller than regular, the way they were drawn in most of the episode just made it seem like it.

Gaiash
10th June 2006, 9:54 PM
So much my the Ash catching King Kong theory....I mean Aipom, I like Aipom but I did't expct it to be caught (Though whilst watching the episode I could help but wish he did catch it)

The Great Butler
11th June 2006, 12:38 AM

How? o.o

That was a rhetorical question, nobody answer that!

I'll answer it anyway. We just saw Sceptile in the Pyramid episode. He was the star of the Battle Palace. He's also been jammed into far too many episodes anyway. I'm not even an Advanceshipper and I think Ash should've caught her >_<

We lost Glalie to Oak for this?

CyberCubed
11th June 2006, 3:23 AM
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile has always been Ash's star Hoenn Pokemon. Swellow/Corphish are close seconds.

Sceptile/Swellow/Corphish are basically the Bulbasaur/Charizard/Squirtle of AG. Funny how Ash keeps the three memorable Pokemon for awhile, and dumps the others at Oaks.

Blazken
11th June 2006, 5:08 AM
ok ep I would of a real giant slaking but have to say i dint see the writter have to be a robot

for a sec i thougt combusk elove into a Blazken and save because i think he was out of his pokeball can't tell in the pic but no Sceptile save the day

well we now know may not leaving the show

Medea
11th June 2006, 5:11 AM
Slaking Kong

Sorry about that :p

That was one bigass Slaking. Oh, hahaha...Anyways, I saw this episode a couple of hours ago and it was an okay episode. Somehow, I always have to crack up about Wobbuffet in that outfit. But that's all I'll comment on for the time being.

Geodude
11th June 2006, 7:55 AM
So am I right in saying that Ash really didn't care if the Aipom kept his hat? He seemed to just go about his way and not care, which is why he was surprised when he saw Aipom leave his hat on a rock.
Nah, after he and Aipom had that fall, Ash tried to get it back, but Aipom held onto it. Then I got the impression that Ash said something like: "You really like it, huh? Well, that's ok, you can keep it." So it's not like he didn't try and didn't care. And of course there was that scene at the end where Ash was uncomfortable without his hat.

skarmachild
11th June 2006, 10:10 AM
ok ep I would of a real giant slaking but have to say i dint see the writter have to be a robot

for a sec i thougt combusk elove into a Blazken and save because i think he was out of his pokeball can't tell in the pic but no Sceptile save the day

well we now know may not leaving the show

Can other people quote this guy and make sarcastic comments cause it's only 9AM in the morn' here.

Juputoru
11th June 2006, 3:55 PM
-Wow, that old man's flashback was useless. It was like the writers jsut threw it in so that he had an excuse to go along...other than the fact that the Aipom were already stealing his stuff...or maybe it was a (bad)excuse to let us know about the giant Slaking early. It probably wouldn't have bugged me as much if he didn't look about 20 years younger in the flashback. D: Of course, the guy didn't have much of a purpose anyway...
-Aipom? Check. Vigoroth? Check. Slaking? Cheque. Mankey? Czech. Primeape? Nope. Odd how they had ALL the monkey/ape Pokemon except for one. :<
-That giant Slaking really WAS one of TR's most realistic mechas. I have to wonder when and how they got in it at the end, though. They fell off the pillar along with the mecha, they landed away from it, the mecha was set on fire, TR was on fire too, and then they were magically inside the mecha? Eh, I guess it doesn't matter that much, but still.
-The new quiz thing is much better than the one they dropped. Having to pick out the Pokemon that doesn't belong is SLIGHTLY more challenging than having to realize that you have something called "short-term memory" and using it.
-Ooo, Spurt makes nice background music. Watch them reuse it so much that we get sick of it. D:

Geodude
11th June 2006, 4:47 PM
-Wow, that old man's flashback was useless. It was like the writers jsut threw it in so that he had an excuse to go along...other than the fact that the Aipom were already stealing his stuff...or maybe it was a (bad)excuse to let us know about the giant Slaking early. It probably wouldn't have bugged me as much if he didn't look about 20 years younger in the flashback. D: Of course, the guy didn't have much of a purpose anyway...
I thought it was a different guy in the flashback.

Gravy
11th June 2006, 5:24 PM
even though the show's animation is still pretty lackluster, you must admit, the music seems to have taken a step in the right direction (read my previous comment on instrumental Spurt! and Ariados appeal BGM). Remember last year, when we were complaining about the music seeming too cartoony? But yeah, I can agree that this episode was pretty lackluster for the most part.
Can't say I disagree with you. However, it's a little disheartening that they seem to be content with sticking to tracks from various movies and a handful of the classic Kanto stuff these days. It seems like it's been years since I last heard the R/S wild pokémon battle theme or magma/aqua battle music in the show :/

come to think of it.... why the hell didn't they expand on the giant silhouette that Taylor (the filler guy) saw? If Kekking Kong's just a robot, then what the hell was that flashback all about? Just a little plot device that got dropped faster than the GS Ball? For that matter... is it just me, or did Taylor say "ichi nen mae" (one year ago) when talking about his encounter? Given how much younger he looks, there is no way in hell that could've been a year ago (if I'm getting the quote wrong, please correct me).
The theory I have going through my mind currently, is that there actually was a giant Slaking around that area at some point, and that we haven't heard the last of it's little tale.
Taylor's first sighting of the creature couldn't possibly have been a mechanical creation, considering he had supposedly been living around the ape pokémon territory for quite some time. And apparently, in all the year(s) he's been loitering around there, that was pretty much his only sighting of the beast. So that could mean that Slaking Kong only visits the area once in a blue moon or perhaps even had to move away due to circumstances beyond it's control.
And if that's the case, then perhaps the King mentioned in the upcoming 'Aipom and the King' is, in actuality, the true Slaking Kong, residing in an alternate part of the mountain range?

Eh...a bit of stretch maybe, but it makes just as much sense as anything else in this particular episode ^^;

And just a note I forgot to add in my last post: The voice of Team Rocket's mecha sounded infinitely better than that of a real Slaking.

Gaiash
11th June 2006, 7:14 PM
Because just about everyone saw it coming
Slaking Kong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgQvLfeyqE)

SuperShadow
11th June 2006, 11:33 PM
Because just about everyone saw it coming
Slaking Kong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgQvLfeyqE)

LOL! That was hilarious. Well I saw the pics. and I think that team rocket had scared out the real Slaking kong and I really like the pics. it seems as if there are 2 monkeys missing: Slakoth and Primape. I'm happy we got to see Combusken get screen time seeing how it's very important on May's team. I to was surprised that it was a robot, well let's hope the writers keep the surprises coming.

The Great Butler
11th June 2006, 11:46 PM
Whoooooooo, that trailer was HILARIOUS (yeah, I've finally gotten YouTube to work on my computer!)

Somehow, I bet Gravy's theory is right. Maybe the "Aipom and the King!" episode after the Grand Festival stars the real Slaking Kong and the whole thing is a sort of split up mini-arc?

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th June 2006, 11:47 PM
Can't say I disagree with you. However, it's a little disheartening that they seem to be content with sticking to tracks from various movies and a handful of the classic Kanto stuff these days. It seems like it's been years since I last heard the R/S wild pokémon battle theme or magma/aqua battle music in the show :/

The theory I have going through my mind currently, is that there actually was a giant Slaking around that area at some point, and that we haven't heard the last of it's little tale.
Taylor's first sighting of the creature couldn't possibly have been a mechanical creation, considering he had supposedly been living around the ape pokémon territory for quite some time. And apparently, in all the year(s) he's been loitering around there, that was pretty much his only sighting of the beast. So that could mean that Slaking Kong only visits the area once in a blue moon or perhaps even had to move away due to circumstances beyond it's control.
And if that's the case, then perhaps the King mentioned in the upcoming 'Aipom and the King' is, in actuality, the true Slaking Kong, residing in an alternate part of the mountain range?

Eh...a bit of stretch maybe, but it makes just as much sense as anything else in this particular episode ^^;

And just a note I forgot to add in my last post: The voice of Team Rocket's mecha sounded infinitely better than that of a real Slaking.

From a Newtype Magazine Scan, translated on BMG by Woopert

As Satoshi-tachi resume their travels to the Battle Pyaramid, along the way they learn of an event being held to choose a village's new king. Villagers are scrambling to find the crown, as it seems that whoever finally obtains the crown will become the king for the next year. Thinking that the villagers find it amusing, Satoshi-tachi immediately decide to participate.

So, I doubt the Slaking Kong is in it. However, I really think this episode has the same Aipom, since theyr'e looking for headgear and Aipom seems to be a kleptomatic obssed with hats.

Nice video Gaish!

Gravy
12th June 2006, 1:10 AM
Aww man. I was really hoping that entire flashback would be expanded on, instead of just being a pointless plot-hole.

No honestly. I was.

Seriously.

V Faction
12th June 2006, 1:11 AM
Aww man. I was really hoping that entire flashback would be expanded on, instead of just being a pointless plot-hole.

No honestly. I was.

Seriously.
It's not a plot-hole, it's Pokemon's creative writing team hard at work.

CyberCubed
12th June 2006, 1:19 AM
Maybe the real Giant Slaking died and TR made a Mecha of it. After all, that flashback was a year ago, wasn't it?

KuwabaraTheMan
12th June 2006, 1:35 AM
Enjoyable episode. I liked Satoshi showing some maturity by being willing to give up his hat in the end. There was also some great stuff with Satoshi and Haruka, and the music was great, especially the Instrumental version of Spurt.

Korobooshi Kojiro
12th June 2006, 1:56 AM
Maybe the real Giant Slaking died and TR made a Mecha of it. After all, that flashback was a year ago, wasn't it?

Oh...oh god! What if that Slaking was a cyborg of the original! And Ash killed it and blew it up!!!

V Faction
12th June 2006, 2:27 AM
Oh...oh god! What if that Slaking was a cyborg of the original! And Ash killed it and blew it up!!!
Bite-size Slaking Snacks?

SuperShadow
14th June 2006, 3:01 AM

It was, but I would think that our monkey friends would've buried it first, unless they thought it was a ghost of the real one. But then how did they figure out about the giant Slaking? Did they ask the person who saw it a year ago or something? Did they see it's body? Did they just come up with some random plan to grab pikachu and any other pokemon they want? Why Slaking and not Aipom? Why couldn't it actually be a lazy mecha that acts like a big Slaking?

Geodude
14th June 2006, 4:03 AM
We really need someone who knows Japanese to figure this out for us.

Riva
17th June 2006, 5:37 PM
There were a lot of primate-style pokemon in this episode. But why were there Vigoroth and Slaking in Kanto? And did Ash capture the Aipom who stole his hat?

Gaiash
17th June 2006, 6:33 PM
There were a lot of primate-style pokemon in this episode. But why were there Vigoroth and Slaking in Kanto? And did Ash capture the Aipom who stole his hat?
No, but it did follow him

Dreamcoat
17th June 2006, 10:14 PM
Because once again we have witnessed the awsome power of what having no brain does to the writers.

Gaiash
18th June 2006, 12:25 AM
Because once again we have witnessed the awsome power of what having no brain does to the writers.
No, recent generation Pokemon appearing in Kanto has happened since Johto.

Dreamcoat
18th June 2006, 10:45 AM
No, recent generation Pokemon appearing in Kanto has happened since Johto.
What I meant was that before they went to Hoenn no one seemed to know/talk about it at all with the exception of a few times at the Johto League, and there were no wild Hoenn PKMN in Kanto/Johto at all.

Now we suddenly have Vigoroth & Slaking appearing out of nowhere and no one in the group seems to be wondering heavily about why Hoenn PKMN all of a sudden are in Kanto.

Gaiash
18th June 2006, 1:18 PM
What I meant was that before they went to Hoenn no one seemed to know/talk about it at all with the exception of a few times at the Johto League, and there were no wild Hoenn PKMN in Kanto/Johto at all.

Now we suddenly have Vigoroth & Slaking appearing out of nowhere and no one in the group seems to be wondering heavily about why Hoenn PKMN all of a sudden are in Kanto.
to be fair they could have ment that some Houen Pokemon are hard to find in Kanto. Like Kecleon or Blaziken

Ashy Boy
18th June 2006, 5:33 PM
I, myself, preferred the Jessie and May rivalry over everything else in the episode. I really loved Jessie's evilness, and taunting May with her ribbon case *insert outrage from rabid May fan*. Of course, Jessie was doomed from the start, but at least we had a good Combusken vs. Seviper battle. In fact, Combusken got a lot of battle spotlight in this episode.

I agree. The images of Jessie tormenting May with her ribbons really makes me sick. I still wish Jessie would leave the show for good. Of course, it wouldn't be fair to any Jessie fan.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
18th June 2006, 6:27 PM
it was pretty cool xD 10/10 Like king kong

Anyone 4 Buttons?
12th July 2006, 12:01 AM
Credit goes to the writers for creating something like King Kong, and also the animation was amazingly crisp!
Still, with all of that, I didn't particularly enjoy this episode because of its lack of any 'proper' battles. Also, Meowth's voice in Japanese was at its highest annoyance factor in this episode. I hate Japanese Meowth.

Pokemonger49777
27th October 2006, 9:24 PM
I have yet to see the episode, but I really want to. Mainly because it has Slaking (yay :) in it, and because it looks like a really good episode.

Knight_Ram
8th December 2006, 12:32 AM
I have yet to see the episode, but I really want to. Mainly because it has Slaking (yay :) in it, and because it looks like a really good episode.

I'm with you on that one! Slakings are awesome! I hope to see this episode by tomorrow.

WaterDragon trainer
8th December 2006, 2:35 AM
This episode was pretty good. I thought Aipom (the one that got Ash's hat) was pretty cool. It was interesting to see that the giant Slaking was nothing but another TR robot. It was so nice how Aipom returned Ash's hat.

Knight_Ram
8th December 2006, 2:57 AM
The giant slaking was a Team Rocket Mecha?! Damn it! I was actually hoping for it to be real! Now that would have been cool!

ShinyManafi
8th December 2006, 3:50 AM
It was ruined when Slaking was a mech -_-, but overall a good episode, I like the Aipom part in the end :)

BOUYSEL'S BEST FRIEND
8th December 2006, 3:51 AM
I laughed when May ran in to get her stupid ribbons and...

May: I need to get my ribbons!!!
Brock: Its dangerous!!!
(1 sec later)
Ash Let's go!!!

Weavile_Striker
8th December 2006, 5:36 AM
Awwww. Aipom gave Ash his hat and an apple. Shouldn't he check for lice first though? That was a weak mech though, must have just been made to intimadate.

Freya
8th December 2006, 5:37 AM
No reason to like the ep i didnt like it that much...then again i had m ipod ear bud in 1 ear...

Knight_Ram
9th December 2006, 7:56 AM
Hey, I still havnt seen the episode yet. Just wondering what Team Rocket were trying to do with that massive Slaking mecha they had. Anyone want to help me out on that?

WaterDragon trainer
9th December 2006, 3:40 PM
I don't wanna ruin that much for you, but to answer your question it looks like the giant Slaking mecha was just to collect berries so they could make pokeblocks and get money.

dnglover25
9th December 2006, 4:13 PM
I didn't like Ash having an Aipom till this episode. He grew on me.

Nathan Madien
9th December 2006, 4:21 PM
The episode started off with the cliche "Pokemon are stealing things" but did all right afterwards.

I don't wanna ruin that much for you, but to answer your question it looks like the giant Slaking mecha was just to collect berries so they could make pokeblocks and get money.

Considering how much money Team Rocket spent on that giant Slaking mecha, it would've been easier for them just to buy the berries by the truckload.

Knight_Ram
14th December 2006, 8:46 AM
Yeah, liked this episode, not too bad. But it would have been cool if Ash caught a Slaking or something in it. But he didnt and we found ourseavles a Slaking mecha. Kind of lame, I was really hopeing that it was a real one.

Overall a 8.2/10 from me.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2006, 4:05 PM

No honestly. I was.

Seriously.

The traveler wasn't the same guy as the old man.

wobbanut
26th December 2006, 12:03 AM
Thank goodness for the welcome comic relief of this episode after the Battle Pyramid episode. I loved Wobbuffet and Meowth's disguises, and the total King Kong ripoff was pretty funny. I loved seeing Wobbuffet's maiden costume again especially. :D Aipom was a cutie too. I didn't think much of her just from pictures, but Ash's future pokemon is quite adorable. She's no Chikorita/Bayleef in the Ash-loving department, at least so far, but she definitely holds her own here. I liked seeing all the monkey pokemon too. Too bad there wasn't a primeape in the bunch, it's always been my favorite monkey pokemon. :(

Overall, 10/10.

old guard truthseeker
26th December 2006, 4:41 PM
The episode started off with the cliche "Pokemon are stealing things" but did all right afterwards.

Considering how much money Team Rocket spent on that giant Slaking mecha, it would've been easier for them just to buy the berries by the truckload.

Good one! If they have a Team Rocket credit line somebody's going to have to call it in pretty soon...

Ashy Boy
10th July 2007, 9:16 PM
What did Jessie say to May when she demanded her stolen ribbons back?

Gravy
10th July 2007, 9:39 PM
She called May a skank and told her to go stick her head in a toilet bowl.

Ashy Boy
12th July 2007, 5:16 PM
She called May a skank and told her to go stick her head in a toilet bowl.

What else did she say? Because I could recall that May demanded her stolen ribbons back twice

eimajamie
23rd August 2007, 12:31 PM
This episode was a disappointment as I was looking forward to seeing a REAL Slaking Kong

lois24
13th October 2007, 6:57 AM
I have a fake DVD of battle frontier and i saw there that ash will catch Aipom

CyberCubed
15th November 2007, 3:06 AM
Ah, the episode that introduced us to Aipom.

Little did we know at the time that this would lead us to one of the most annoying fandom reactions to a trade between two main characters that apparently caught each others Pokemon.

It really makes you wonder if it was planned from back here, nearly 1 year ago.

Knight_Ram
17th December 2007, 8:46 AM
I have a fake DVD of battle frontier and i saw there that ash will catch Aipom

Not cool...

But I do agree with CyberCubed on that theory of his. Was it planned from the start or was it just a simple idea that they had improvised in the D/P series?

Dark Arceus
19th April 2008, 5:27 PM
This is my favourite episode of the Battle Frontier arc. Although it was disappointing that the Slaking was a mecha, Aipom made up for it. :)

Stabberz
1st October 2008, 8:56 PM
Aipom's First Apperance Yaay I've watched this episode 7 times

Tadashi
9th October 2008, 6:31 PM
My God... I can't believe Ash just sat there. Remember when Mankey took his hat, how piss'd off he was?! He did some stupid things just to try and get it back... well I guess Ash has so show maturity at some time or another o_o;; Plus, him wrestling with that Aipom in his face? oh lord I almost died laughing.

And that King Kong ripoff scene? Funny as hell. I honestly thought the Slaking was real, so when the "fur" melted off to show metal, I was amazed that Team Rocket put so much effort into making a realistic looking mecha for once.

Decent episode all in all.

Stabberz
9th October 2008, 6:36 PM
If That Had of happened i could see aipom focus punching the crap out of ash

Torpoleon
11th October 2008, 10:28 PM
This is the beginning of the friendship between Aipom and Ash.Also ash almost would have never had his Battle frontier/advanced generation hat back.

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 2:59 AM
This was such a king kong episode since May and Slaking lol I just loved it
Ash to the recuse
OH AIPOM LOOKS SO SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

GDE
26th October 2008, 9:09 PM
I really liked this one's plot XD

GDE
26th October 2008, 9:11 PM
I really liked this one's plot XD

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:20 PM
This was a weird episode. The Slaking really creeped me out. But the Aipoms were just loveable. I enjoyed this episode.

Rommath
4th February 2009, 2:54 PM
All those awesome Aipoms were what made this episode for me, especially Ash's former one. Nice little parody of King Kong, when Slaking was introduced I was wondering how long it'll be in the anime before they did a parody. There sure was a lot of berries.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 12:27 PM
and ash's hat is stolen again>_>
it get's a bit standard if you ask me.

Ash-kid
6th May 2009, 6:03 PM
I thought that Slaking is real, but he don't.

Shadow XD001
1st June 2009, 1:36 AM
This was a great episode. TR fooled, again. The Aipom "clan" was cool and I wonder how this season would have been if Ash hadn't gotten his hat back....

Littlemyuu
10th June 2009, 2:47 PM
Cool episode, Aipom is so cute in the Anime ^^

catzisconfus
13th August 2009, 3:07 PM
i found this a good episode, usually team rocket comes with their machine robot vehicles but this time i was thinking it really was a big slaking ^^
also the aipom who stole the hat from ash i found good, i think this is going to be the new jiglypuff.

ryodragonite
22nd September 2009, 2:34 AM
cool a slaking aww its not real should have know(team rocket!)

STICKTOPIA
23rd September 2009, 3:56 AM
Lmao Aipom gave the hat back just so it can keep taking it in the future. This makes me want to watch the episode again and I will watch it again:D

Surfer_Dude
26th September 2009, 6:55 AM
Hahaha this was an ok episode. 6 out of 10. Btw the person that posted that aipom is NOT caught in this episode its because its gonna be caught later.

Surfer_Dude
26th September 2009, 6:57 AM
I thought that Slaking is real, but he don't.

Same here. But it was mechanicalised

popcorn dragon
5th January 2010, 3:53 AM
Gosh, that would suprising if that was a real Slaking. But of course its a team rocket machine. How does tr always end up near Ash and co.? And the episode started the aipom
following ash. SOMEONE KILL THE ANNOYING MONKEY!
Aipom brains are really good. You just simply slit their throats, and make an Aipom blood smoothie. No more hat stealing or the aggravating voice!

Lorde
5th January 2010, 8:32 AM
Aipom's First Apperance Yaay I've watched this episode 7 times

Geez, 7? I think it's only appeared 4 times here.

Anyway, it wasn't very good. Almost Filler unless you count the debut of Ash's future Aipom as an official debut.

The giant Slaking was ok, but it was the Pokemon version of King Kong which is yuck. I never liked ape-like Pokemon anyway, so this was my least favorite Battle Frontier episode. 1/10

Rainbowdashtheawesome
1st February 2010, 4:13 AM
Okay, did anybody not see it coming that they were going to show May get picked up in the Slaking's hand and carried up a large tower-like structure? I saw this episode before ever discovering this site; back then every episode was news to me when it premiered in the US; and yet I instantly knew they were going to do that as soon as I read the episode's title. (I kinda' wish they'd taken a bit more time with that, though....)

Aipom was the perfect source of comic relief in this episode and I was shocked that Ash didn't catch it in the end; it was reassuring that he did catch it later, but I didn't know that yet.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 2:55 PM
Meowth looked so funny when it was taking the berries from those pokemon.... Looks like Aipom is coming with the three

Painkiller2001
10th January 2011, 6:46 PM
I would've liked to see Primeape, Mankey and Aipom instead of Slaking and Vigoroth. That way all three Pokemon are true ape Pokemon. Vigoroth and Slaking are based more off Sloths than Monkeys.

Aipom left Ash some fruit and a flower with his hat. Awwwwwwww! What a sweet Pokemon!

G50
27th April 2011, 2:08 AM
This episode was ok... It was interesting to find out that the giant Slaking wasn't even a Slaking, it was just a TR Robot. It was great to see Aipom in this episode. Aipom was definitely a troublemaker, stealing Ash's hat. It was cool to see a King-Kong reference where May was taken up the tower-like thing. It was a bit disappointing to find out that it wasn't a Giant Slaking, but just a Robot for TR.

20/100

TheEpicGoomba
27th May 2011, 3:34 PM
This episode was alright. Weird how the Slaking wasn't a Slaking. Nice to see Ash's future Aipom ths episode.

6/10

Vernikova
25th September 2012, 9:10 PM
Eh, an average episode. Aipom isn't an interesting Pokemon in my opinion and Ash's is pretty annoying.

PokemontrainerY
2nd August 2013, 2:27 PM
This was the episode where Ash and Aipom first met,
I found Aipom's hat-stealing habit annoying, but it was nice that it gave Ash his back at the end.
It's surprising that the Giant Slaking wasn't a real Slaking, but a Team Rocket's Robot.

zhixun
30th May 2014, 9:47 PM
When I first watched this huge Kekking I did not know that is one of Rocket Dan mecha although it is unusually large. Love to see the group of Pokémon being the subordinates of the Rocket Dan and they hand in the berries. Actually I like Takeshi's Numacraw is the one to reveal it was a Rocket mecha and he deserves some development here.

Painkiller2001
17th November 2014, 9:47 PM
I'm going to guess those Slaking were just smaller than normal. I remember Norman's being bigger than those ones...

Lorde
1st December 2014, 1:51 AM
I screamed when May's ribbon case and Ash's hat were stolen by those wild Aipom. I also laughed at Wobbuffet and Meowth dressed as Shinto priests or whatever. I thought TR's scheme of using the ape Pokemon to bring them Berries and such was pretty clever and that giant Slaking creeped me out tbh. I liked that Sceptile saved May though.