PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: City of Brass

klducks
10th June 2006, 5:41 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/an/city_of_brass.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/5e/city_of_brass.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/7e/city_of_brass.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/8e/city_of_brass.jpg
City of Brass - Arabian Nights, Chronicles, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Edition. Rare
Land
Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

a cool card in prismatic obviously. This really should only be used in 3+ colored decks. 2 colored decks have duels and pain lands so this isn't necessary. You have to watch out for cards that tap lands like icy manipulator, taking 1 each time.

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

~RaikouRider243~
11th June 2006, 3:43 AM
I was never a fan of City of Brass. Only worth playing in full spec decks. Never liked the painlands much either.

1.5/5

chaoslord
11th June 2006, 5:01 PM
Guys, this cards a 4/5 easy.

Its the uber-painland.

Normal painlands only get 2 colors of mana. This guy gets any of em.

It > Painlands in almost every way, and we all know the painlands are great cards.

Shadow Trainer
11th June 2006, 10:32 PM
Basically a five color painland. 4/5

Rudimentarybrain
12th June 2006, 7:46 AM
5/5, great card, great playability, extremely broken, and its not an artifact.

skiboydoggy
12th June 2006, 9:40 AM
Erm... Well, it's good I guess, though I've never been fond of the painlands...
Efficient no doubt, but surely there must be alternatives to creating mana of any colour without stabbing yourselves...
Meh.

chaoslord
12th June 2006, 5:12 PM
Erm... Well, it's good I guess, though I've never been fond of the painlands...
Efficient no doubt, but surely there must be alternatives to creating mana of any colour without stabbing yourselves...
Meh.

I used to be like that, thought it was pretty dumb to pay life for almost anything, since you need life still to win.

But, then I realized your life is pretty much your most expendable resource. Thats what helps make the painlands so good, and cards like Necropotence downright broken.

Its all part of the Sui-Black philosophy

Rudimentarybrain
12th June 2006, 7:48 PM
see, chaoslord knows what I'm talking about when i say that this is hands down the best painland. youre only paying 1 life, the only difference that will make in the game is you getting more mana and more options, which is definitely a good thing. saying this card is bad is like saying Birds of paradise is a bad card, and dont say you can only run it in a three color deck. there have been around 150 first place decks in regionals, ptq, pt, and gpt using this card, and around half were less than 3 colors. also, would I be able to pick a card for MTG COTD? I guess someone could pm me about it so we dont spam it up.

Felix Feral Fezirix
13th June 2006, 5:12 AM
Graagh. I hate paying life. Though I have to admit that this IS useful.

AND YOU CAN PLAY DUNE-BROOD NEPHILIM AND CONCLAVE PHALANX TOGETHER TO GAIN LOTSA LOTSA LIFE ANYWAY LATER ON!

Case closed.

4/5.

skiboydoggy
13th June 2006, 7:13 AM
Birds of Paradise... -Sigh-
And if you were running Spectrum Artifact, you have alternatives like Vedalken Engineer.
But I guess it is useful, especially if you get lotsa life gain.

Rudimentarybrain
14th June 2006, 5:00 AM
You don't need to gain your life back, if youre running a good deck and playing versus a good deck, you can easily spare 5-10 life depending on what youre playing with/against. Remember, the game is about keeping your life above 0 and getting your opponnents to 0, not about staying at 20 life. If theres anything that pisses me off more its people that think 1 life will make a difference and run crap cards like soul net when they could run extra defensive or offensive cards to keep their opponent under more control so you dont die. I swear, its seems like most of the people posting in here would be afraind to run jackal pup.

chaoslord
14th June 2006, 9:28 PM
You don't need to gain your life back, if youre running a good deck and playing versus a good deck, you can easily spare 5-10 life depending on what youre playing with/against. Remember, the game is about keeping your life above 0 and getting your opponnents to 0, not about staying at 20 life. If theres anything that pisses me off more its people that think 1 life will make a difference and run crap cards like soul net when they could run extra defensive or offensive cards to keep their opponent under more control so you dont die. I swear, its seems like most of the people posting in here would be afraind to run jackal pup.

Jackal Pup is a good card :teach:

Kaizer
14th June 2006, 9:32 PM
Jackal Pup is a good card :teach:

So is Lava Hounds.

chaoslord
14th June 2006, 9:36 PM
so is giant cockroach though, obv

Kaizer
14th June 2006, 9:38 PM
And so is shock, but that , of course, is not up to debate.

To almost stay on topic: Of course I like City of Brass. I love my painlands and my shocklands too. City just does a great job at what it does- make mana. As for the damage, I only need one life to live.

chaoslord
14th June 2006, 9:40 PM
And so is shock, but that , of course, is not up to debate.

To almost stay on topic: Of course I like City of Brass. I love my painlands and my shocklands too. City just does a great job at what it does- make mana. As for the damage, I only need one life to live.

But...if you play shock on the gi....no...it could...this has to be some sort of mistake...

NO!! IT CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!

damn you city of brass for making the red mana to make this possible..

klducks
15th June 2006, 2:38 AM
The thing is, City of Brass is a pain in the *** to use late game while the pain lands are not.

(you can still play the colorless mana from pain lands cuz youll have all your colors late game while city of brass is like, oh im tapped, PING*)

Felix Feral Fezirix
17th June 2006, 4:01 AM
I don't mind sacrificing lots of life if I know my chances of survival are above 40% if my life goes down.

I ♥ my Pestilence deck.

You could kill this land late game when you don't need it to minimise chances of damage. >_<