PDA

View Full Version : Changing Are Own Usernames

Manene!
12th June 2006, 5:09 PM
So, I asked a few days ago about getting my name changed in the thread and I noticed that there were people before me still waiting to get their names changed and I was wondering why you just donít make it to where we can do it ourselves? I been to other vBulletin boards that had that hack. I think it would make it alot easier for Fox, and whoever else changes the names, and the members aswell. Thanks! :)

Chibi
12th June 2006, 5:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it is because Serebii doesn't like hacks. =/.

Magma Leader Maxie
12th June 2006, 5:15 PM
Even those "plugin-only" variations of hacks are never installed here. Out of multiple reasons (or so they say), none of which I can ever understand...(or so they say :))

It's awfully confusing if a member changes their name once, never mind several times a year... imagine if it was done on a daily routine...

Manene!
12th June 2006, 5:19 PM
I understand that but most members have a set name. Probably only a few people would change them constantly.

intergalactic platypus
12th June 2006, 8:17 PM
It would get confusing since we wouldn't have a set list of who has changed their name and to what

Undertaker88
12th June 2006, 8:19 PM
i think its like that so the forums would not get out of control cause if mit does then it would be chaos

Locke Yggdrasill
12th June 2006, 8:22 PM
There's a box that you can add to the bottom of the forum that says who recently changed their name. BMGf implemented this feature for awhile.

Swampy
12th June 2006, 8:26 PM
There's a box that you can add to the bottom of the forum that says who recently changed their name. BMGf implemented this feature for awhile.
And if you have 1000 members changing their name weekly? -.-

I find the limit/rule on name changing to be fine. Plus, it's hard when just one member changes her/his name because everyone that knows him/her has to be informed. Leave the name change rule/limit as is for now IMHO.

Locke Yggdrasill
12th June 2006, 8:33 PM
I wasn't trying to justify having the hack. I was merely informing the readers, dude.

Naruto kun
12th June 2006, 8:36 PM
It would get confusing since we wouldn't have a set list of who has changed their name and to what

that would be confusing

Manene!
12th June 2006, 8:38 PM
A limit can be set. Joe could easily set it to every two months or whatever he prefers. A thread could be created for the purpose of members posting their new and old names. Or Locke’s idea could be considered. Adding the box with names of recently changed names. Nothing would change except that we could do it ourselves. I don't think those who rarely change their names should have to wait a week to have their name change. I think Locke would agree because he too is walking around with Hegmon still on his name even though he requested a week or so ago to have it removed.

Locke Yggdrasill
12th June 2006, 8:39 PM
I requested it about 13 days ago, actually. Almost two weeks. D:

Manene!
12th June 2006, 8:45 PM
Exactly. I'm sure Fox doesn't always have the time to change our names. We ether need a few other MODs doing it too or we should be able to change it ourselves.

Swampy
12th June 2006, 8:54 PM
I wasn't trying to justify having the hack. I was merely informing the readers, dude.
I was just explaining to everyone what will happen. -_-

A limit can be set. Joe could easily set it to every two months or whatever he prefers. A thread could be created for the purpose of members posting their new and old names. Or Locke’s idea could be considered. Adding the box with names of recently changed names. Nothing would change except that we could do it ourselves. I don't think those who rarely change their names should have to wait a week to have their name change. I think Locke would agree because he too is walking around with Hegmon still on his name even though he requested a week or so ago to have it removed.
Yes, and I've yet to request my Name change to Wildfire because of the fact that the thread is always loads which name changes. However, you don't see me asking to do it myself. If it's that important to me, I can wait for it.

Exactly. I'm sure Fox doesn't always have the time to change our names. We ether need a few other MODs doing it too or we should be able to change it ourselves.
You forget not everyone is a member willing to keep the same name for a month or two. :p Some members (i.e. Yoshi~) would change every week or more. I still find letting an admin do it the best way considering not even a Moderator has that kind of power.

Manene!
12th June 2006, 9:16 PM
You forget not everyone is a member willing to keep the same name for a month or two. Some members (i.e. Yoshi~) would change every week or more. I still find letting an admin do it the best way considering not even a Moderator has that kind of powerBut if a limit is set, which means that if someone tries to change their name a week after they changed it won't allow the change until the limit has passed. Members like Yoshi~, whoever that is, won't be able to change it, even if the wanted to or tried a week after they changed it.

Willow's Tara
13th June 2006, 2:04 AM
Well in Buffyworld.com they have the feature wherwe you can change your username, but you must wait aleast 30 days before you can change it, why don't we just do that? Just only make it two months instead of 30 days?

Fiery Blaziken
13th June 2006, 2:17 AM
Joe won't install a hack. End of story.
:(

Anyways, there could be limits on how often you change it, it's really notr that hard to do.

ShadowKitsune
13th June 2006, 4:15 PM
I don't think Joe will do that. Cause he's all "omg u must keep your name for 2 months111"

Actually a few years ago, you could change your name on the chatroom.
Joe discovered it and got rid of it. ********.

zeppelin
13th June 2006, 6:04 PM
You forget not everyone is a member willing to keep the same name for a month or two. :p Some members (i.e. Yoshi~) would change every week or more. I still find letting an admin do it the best way considering not even a Moderator has that kind of power.

hah

i agree that it should just be left to admins to do it as it would get confusing eventually and it is just better left as it is imo

Manene!
13th June 2006, 8:29 PM
But if we can change it every 2 months anyway and if a limit is set to every two months, so if you change your name and try to change it again a day later it won't allow you to change it for another 59 or so days. There would be NO difference besides the fact that we wouldn't have to wait over 3 weeks to get it changed. We could do it right when we want it.

Locke Yggdrasill
13th June 2006, 8:32 PM
The thing is, Serebii won't implement any hacks. This is a major barrier in your goal, considering he is the head administrator of the forums, and everything has to go through him.

Manene!
13th June 2006, 9:37 PM
Diamond-Pearl, that’s my desired new name. A common name that could easily be taken in the amount of time I’m having to wait. Imagine those who are waiting for an even more common name. I don’t think it’s fair that we have to hope our name isn’t taken in the amount of time we have wait for it to be changed. This thread’s been up for like two days and still no answer from a MOD or Admin or Joe. What? Is there no reason for it not to happen besides the fact that Joe says so?

Xiang
13th June 2006, 10:01 PM
What if somebody else wanted a username and it was already taken because someone could change their name who knows every so often? We might have people scrambling for names, though that's not a big deal.

It wouldn't be as important to consider carefully your name change if you could change it yourself.

The admins have a LIFE. :/ All of them are several years ahead of me, and their time is used up in more important things than the Internet.

Joe's the owner. He pays for this place. What he says goes. We might not like it, but you can just create your own place with your own rules.

Manene!
13th June 2006, 10:56 PM
What if somebody else wanted a username and it was already taken because someone could change their name who knows every so often? We might have people scrambling for names, though that's not a big deal.The names can already be changed every so often.

It wouldn't be as important to consider carefully your name change if you could change it yourself.What's stopping people from doing it now? I could ask for a name change every three months with the way it is now.

The admins have a LIFE. :/ All of them are several years ahead of me, and their time is used up in more important things than the Internet.All the more reason to do this. Admins have lives and don't have time to change user's names. The list of people who have yet to have their names changed is like 4 pages long and like two pages old.

Joe's the owner. He pays for this place. What he says goes. We might not like it, but you can just create your own place with your own rules.I don't believe Joe has said anything about it. Atleast not in this thread. ;)

Locke Yggdrasill
13th June 2006, 11:00 PM
Have you seen his numerous, blatant, naysayings to hacks? xD

Serebii
13th June 2006, 11:01 PM
I am a naysayer to pointless hacks

Locke Yggdrasill
13th June 2006, 11:05 PM
See what I mean? It's like he's on cue or something.
Anyway, wouldn't it be about the time that this is closed?

Manene!
13th June 2006, 11:14 PM
How is it pointless? The last time I had my name changed was around this time last year. Locke just wants "Hegemon" taken out of his name. Why should we have to wait weeks for something so simple if it's possable to do it ourselves in seconds? I don't see how that's pointless.

You said you'd be willing to, if you had the hack, do the Avatar search. That's pointless then since you could easly just organize it a little bit and it's work just as well.

Fox
14th June 2006, 1:43 PM
You know, the funny thing behind these threads is that I never see them until after I change the names lol. This in no way prompted me to change the names, since I didn't see it until a few hours afterward. Honestly, I don't care what system we wind up using for changing names and such, I just don't want to hear people going "I made a mistake changing my name, can you change it back ;;!!" I'd rather hear "You made a mistake, can you change it". Which happened today lol. I'm only human ;;

Fiery Blaziken
16th June 2006, 10:07 PM

Knew that would happen.

Pokefan26
17th June 2006, 12:41 AM
Joe doesn't do hacks.

And what if that name was taken? Or it wasn't appropiate? This is why there is a thread..

blueguy
17th June 2006, 10:59 PM
I could care less, as I am not one of the people here so flippant that a name change is needed every month, but I don't see the problem in this. It would probably be less of hassle for those responsible for name changes...

Gutsman
26th June 2006, 5:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebii

Knew that would happen.

Who says this is a pointless hack? I think it would be very useful if you are the impatient type like I am.

Chris
26th June 2006, 6:48 AM
I'm so tempted to point out how incredibly anal I've become with spelling the moment I saw "our" spelled as "are." But I won't get into that. >_o

Definately not happening. It's bad enough we have people who don't know how to set up signatures properly.

Fatal
26th June 2006, 7:52 AM
So, I asked a few days ago about getting my name changed in the thread and I noticed that there were people before me still waiting to get their names changed and I was wondering why you just don’t make it to where we can do it ourselves? I been to other vBulletin boards that had that hack. I think it would make it alot easier for Fox, and whoever else changes the names, and the members aswell. Thanks! :)

Keep dreaming buddy. There have been several topics like this before. The reason this isn't happening is 1- Joe doesn't go for hacks and 2- There are way too many n00bish people here who would abuse the system and change their names to things that are vulgar and the like without admins being able to approve of them first. =/

-Fatal

liquinn
26th June 2006, 9:27 AM
I dont think Joe should let everyone do this, maybe letting the mods and admins change the user name, I'm not sure. People (The members) might make offensive nicknames and what not without Joe or a MOD seeing them. And think, Were talking like 10,000 people, so if half the forum changes there name, it will be K-OS and we will have to find another way to recognise you all instead by username (which is what a dude above me on a above post said).

Joe, Be mean and make it go through you or a MOD first :p.

indigestible_wad
28th June 2006, 9:04 PM
I remember this same discussion a couple of months ago. Joe didn't install it then and he won't do it now. He won't even install it to let mods do it in place of the admins. Don't waste your breath.

Kim and Kam Fan
9th September 2006, 7:38 AM
How do you change names