PDA

View Full Version : RPG Forum Feedback & Suggestions

RaZoR LeAf
12th June 2006, 9:13 PM
RPG Forum
Feedback & Suggestions

Ok this topic is here for you to tell us what you think would be good for the forum, or to get across any complaints or grievances you might have.

A few rules:

This is NOT an ideas thread for your RPGs. Don't post here with ideas for an RPG, or your post will be ignored or ridiculed until it is deleted by mods and you are likely warned for your failure to grasp basic rules. Again, a reminder, this is NOT an RPG ideas topic.
Your suggestions are for RPG and it's two sub-forums only. We don't care what you think of other forums, so don't bother mentioning them unless you are using them as an example.
Don't advertise other web forums, even if you are using them as an example. Please explain in full what you wish to suggest or talk about.
If you are making a complaint, do so in a polite and proper manner. Any complaints that are poorly structured and on the verge of flaming will be ignored.
Do NOT start little conversations amongst yourself in this thread. If you wish to discuss someone's idea with them a little more, then use PM's.
If you wish to speak to a mod directly, then PM us. Don't post here asking to speak with us.

Yami Ryu
12th June 2006, 10:51 PM
Well one of my complaints is the 'newblette RPs' with how they get replied too so much they drown out other replies and such. And it seems they don't listen to the rules, though most try it seems. They just forget. So maybe a new sub forum? Where newbies to RPing must post their rp's and stuff, untill they graduate out of posting extremely short replies?

I understand that sometimes, it's all you can reply with, if you can't bunny another character to much extent, or if you're trying to move the plot along if you're the GM.

But all the time is no excuse. So maybe something where they have to prove themselves and once they do they can rp in the normal forum?

I mean I know I was a noob once, but in one RP, I remember ET, Strider and I going from noobs that posted like three lines a post to doing nearly within the rules posts halfway through the rp. But the new people now don't seem to stick to well, staying within post length. Or really trying to do it anyways.

Well, in closing I wouldn't mind if they drowned out other RP's .. if the roleplayers in them just stuck to the rules. :/

Psychic
13th June 2006, 2:48 AM
Shouldn't this be Stickied?

Anyways, Yams does have a point, there.
Don't get me started on some of the newbie RPs I've seen lately- I mean, forget about the crappy plots for a moment- they have incomplete Sign Up sheets and they themselves don't fill them out well, accepting anyone who will only make the slightest edits to the sheet and give no detail on the characters. Then the RPGs are full of rule breaking posts (mostly useless one-liners) that either do nothing to advance the plot or advance it much too quickly. Then they make Discussion threads which are full of nothing more than "Oh good, Pikalover817623, you're online! We thought a Tauros ate you!" and SPAM like that so that nothing ever gets accomplished or resolved.

Though it not only seems a bit extreme to create a whole new subforum, but honestly, look at how few people read the rules anyway! Just because there's a new subforum, doesn't mean everyone will read the rules and know not to post in the main forum. And besides, I'm sure a lot of the weaker RPers here are not going to stand being told that they have to go to the Newbie area, despite the fact that about fifty percent of the active RPers at the moment don't know what SPAM is. (I kid you not- these people couldn't RP their way out of a paper bag.)

If anything, I think the old Advanced RPG Forum should be revived. I mean, the last post was from 2004! The place is there for a reason, and it might as well be used. I say bring it back to life- update the lists, create fresh threads, just give it a whole new facelift!
(And if anyone is wondering why I know about the place, I stumbled upon a way to get to it accidentally. Nobody gave me a link or anything; I found it all on my own.)

Lady Myuu has been the best and only one who has cared about this entire newbie issue and actually taken initiative in helping them become better in creating the RPG School. Unfortunately, it is much too small and unprofessional to do all the help it could (though I think it will really get rolling once the actual 'RPing' starts). If it was expanded and had more people working on it, I think it could do a world of good.

Just my two cents, anyone can feel free to agree or disagree.

~Psychic

~*Nobody*~
13th June 2006, 3:25 AM
One of my complaints is that Newbies seem to NEVER follow the rules. I have seen and reported alot of BAD RPGs to Lady Myuu.

Another one is (Please don't hurt me) the RPG mods sometimes aren't here when you need them. at least twice the mods haven't been on when we needed a thread closed and the RPG continued to live and then get a thread for the playing.( Again please don't hurt me)

Yami Ryu
13th June 2006, 3:27 AM
I'd forgotten about the advance RPer forum... hm maybe that can be used as sorta proof you are up to snuff. I mean when you're invited there you can really prove you are a good role player, you do not spam. You do not fight the Game Mod. You do not break the basic 'commandments' of Role Playing, etc, etc, etc. I agree with Psychic about updating the Advance place anyways. It'd be a good retreat from people that make spamplays and not roleplays...

Well anyways maybe stricter rules about rule breakers in the RP forum. Like, being unable to post? Not banned from the forum, just unable to post in part of the forum. Though is that possible ... probably not. So since Psychic is right most likely that my sub forum idea is too extreme, and there is the advance forum, as Psychic pointed out, it could be, well I already said, re-distributed about to the good Roleplayers and all that.

Lily
13th June 2006, 3:33 AM
A separate forum for newbies alone might be too much; it'd further discrimination, and although that might be a nice tactic, it really is up to the owners to decide whether or not to 'accept' those 'newbies' in the first place. If you're talking about individual threads, I personally see no harm in letting them be. Such as the 'advanced rp forum' installed not long ago, I don't think this will be too successful (people abandon it in order to migrate to more populous forums)...as far as I can tell, when a moderator tells off a poorly constructed rpg, the owner usually attempts on making it better, because really..the percentile of the people who actually read the rules/understand, let alone newbies, is relatively low.

Jerichi
13th June 2006, 3:48 AM
There's a noob invasion happening all over the fourms. The PASBL, Mic. Fourms and a few other places are being overrun, including here. Regardless, most of the good, or at least decent, people are being overshadowed, sadly, by the n00b invasion, including me. If I put some effort into it and I'm in the mood I can RP decently. I've been RPing for a few years, just not nessacarly here. It gets sort of annoying that so many good RPGs get run over by newbs and noobs. I'm planning on starting an RPG soon, but I'm afraid that it might be swarmed by bad RPers, and put a good storyline to waste. So, I agree, that the people who are a little more advanced should have a seperate fourm to keep the good RPs running and keep all the newblets in their happy little corner.

You could set up some sort of test, simmilar to the RPG Begginer School to allow people entry. It won't make every one happy, but oh well. If they don't have the skills, they aren't going to fare in a fourm with higher standards.

~*Nobody*~
13th June 2006, 4:29 AM
I agree with Jerichi. Good RPGs get run over by the little 'harmless' newbies. I know mine was. I think that giving this forum to the newbies and one for good RPers.

Literate
13th June 2006, 4:41 AM
Good RPGs get run over by the little 'harmless' newbies.
Maybe. When people sign-up for a half-way decent RPG, like I did, they might find out that the GM lets almost anyone in. o.O Maybe that's the reason. The GMs are the ones who accept/reject a person from their RPG. So yeah...

You could set up some sort of test, simmilar to the RPG Begginer School to allow people entry.
Yeah. That would be better. See if they can roleplay something out or ask them their average lines in each post and then from there, go on. Or you can do research and see what kind of posts they have.

~PEACE~

Kev Chi
13th June 2006, 6:15 AM
Well, here seems to be the case: Exp. RPGers and "newer" RPGers can't coexisted due to the fact that "noobs" tend to spam up everything and not follow the rules and so now we are looking for some sort of solution to this problem.

I agree with this. I have seen RPGs and RPGers that are (don't be offened, I'm just stateing a point) horrible. I know when I did my first RPG here, I had a good paragraph or two when I posted (I had previsce exp. from another forum), while others would only have a couple lines or so. This makes things somewhat hard for exp. RPGers, seeing how they're not able to go anywhere if the last post was "Fred walks in the door. Fred see a Pokeball and grabs it. Fred throws the Pokeball and something pops out." You get the idea...

I do like the idea of having a sub fourm of more exp. RPGers and the newer RPGers having their own forum. As for someone wanting to come into the "Advanced" RPG forum, maybe something can be set up where that person can PM (or something) a mod (or all three mods that I know of in the RPG forum, this might be a long shot though) and, like it was said before, the mod can give an idea and the RPGer can try and act it out.

Draco Malfoy
13th June 2006, 8:30 AM
The whole "Seperate Forums for Advanced RPG Participators" idea is quite a fine idea; it is are quite fanciful. It's getting more and more annoying to see repeat "serial offenders" clogging up RPGs with SPAM and just refusing to learn to read. I agree with Jerichi; there is a n00b "invasion" happening all over Serebiiforums. In the Games Forums and Misc. Forum, the place is being repeatedly "invaded" with SPAM. In the PASBL, the place is so repeatedly overcome with smilies when it was specifically AGAINST the rules, it hurts my eyes. Most of the other parts of the Forums are also being "invaded" by the "N00BS of DOOM" including here. We got to put a stop to this; at least here.

RPG-Ers and "newer" RPGers can't peacefully coexist due to the fact that "noobs" have a rather annoying tendency to SPAM-Up everything and not follow the Rules. If it wasn't such a serious problem, we wouldn't be addressing it here, right now. I wasn't really around during the time of the Advanced RPG Participators Forums but with what I heard about it, it sounds it was quite a great place to be at. I think we should restart and revive that Sub-Forum; we need to seperate the n00bs from the Advanced RPGs and help these people "recover from their sickness" so to speak. I'm all thumbs up for Lady Myuu's RPG School for Beginners as she as taken the time and initiative to help these guys get on their feet. We should pay more attention to this School, perhapps reviving the School and making it compulsory for "serial offenders". I think this is the only way to properly address the problem. Sorry.

Argent
15th June 2006, 2:04 AM
Wow, when did this become a 'lets spank n00bs/newbs' thread? OK, given that there exists a sort of RPer called a n00b which will not learn even if you drill it in their head the rules and requirements for your RPs, but there are newbs that are just inexperienced and need the experience to become accomplished RPers. We all had to go through this point and none of you would even be here if you hadn't learned a few things of how to RP. (Just so its known I use both words to mean different things: newb = n. a newbie, a new RPer. n00b = n. 1. a somewhat experienced player that acts like a newb and should frankly know better. 2. a very annoying person which does not pay creedence to rules).

If I would suggest something, I would suggest a change in this forums attitude. When I first started here I got the impression that 'Oh I was new and therefore not worth the time/attention.' This forum seems to breed a clique of 'good RPers' and the formation of an 'Advanced RPers' forum would truly consolodate this notion. If you were an 'advanced RPer' why would you even want to be in the RPs of people 'lesser' then you? Does this strike as prejudicial to anybody else?

What's more, I get the feeling that I have to please the individuals who have been around for a long time. If I take one step out of bounds, I will be branded as a 'weak RPer' and will then not be allowed to play or be accepted in your group. Please forgive me for saying this, but you appear like a bunch of bullies.

Our attitude to the importance of our RPs need to be reevaluated as well. RPs are really games: they are meant to play together and enjoy each other's skill and ability. But sometimes our attitudes make it seem too importanta, or, far worse, like work. One time I read over a post of a sign-up that wasn't bad. But because a rule was looked over or not understood, the GM denied them outright and said they "wasted my time." But isn't that what this all supposed to be? RPing is a big waste of time: we could be doing other things that would be more productive, like chores. But this is supposed to be fun, not a chore. To treat is as work shows that you simply put way to important on something which will be probably be forgotten a week, a month, a year from now.

I suggest that people honestly stop bickering about the "n00b problem" and instead DO something about it! Lady Myuu's school is the first and by far the most effective means atm to do this, but why is she the only one working there? Why aren't there more people posting there, or even better in the RP idea thread? To allow improvement, you need to put methods to allow that. Bickering of it like a bunch of old people does not solve anything except venting out pent up frustration.

One thing that Porygon started a while ago was an RP post contest; that was alot of fun and it allowed people to HEAR how well they are doing. I feel this sort of encouragment would foster what we WANT to see rather then what shouldn't exist. But again, why should Porygon be the only person in charge of this? We are all creative people and are capable of making such a contest for our own selves! I hate to suggest this, but I think this forum may rely too much on the moderators, and puts them in a position where they look over us like an overseer of a quarry. We should allow them the opportunity to "walk among us" so to speak and give them the same authority while allowing them to be friendly and "loose." They are people too, and have the same problems with schedules, classes, and whatever that we do. They also have the same needs of just being able to chill, talk and laugh. They are people, as are we all. And like the mods, we too have a vested interest in the content and quality of the play we have here. We should also share in that responsibility with them to ensure that the new people are given an opportunity to learn and improve.

Maybe there should be a monthly competition where the GMs post what they feel to be the best written/funniest post for their RPs? To know that our posts can be looked over and be nominated would certainly make me feel special that I got nominated. This doesn't even have to be a competition; it could just be: 'Here is the context of what is going on in the story, and here is what this person posted, I thought this was really funny/dramatic/cool.' That would provide more examples of what it is we want and hell, who doesn't enjoy a little competition?

Now to finish my post up, instead of saying what should not be in this forum, I am going to say what to do:

DO have fun here, this is a game, the purpose of being here is to have fun and share experiences with others.

DO allow second chances, hell, we all had moments when we just have brain farts.

DO realize that people have lives and may not always be able to post.

DO try to post, even if the above may apply.

DO praise, I see alot of negative talk and criticism, but not so much praise.

Do try to point new people (and even n00bs) in the right direction before yelling at them. Inexperience is curable; stupidity should be dealt with by the moderators (I won't say they are unnecessary >.>)

This is OUR forum, and it is OURS to do with what we think is right. To 'fix' the newb/n00b problem, it is on ALL of our shoulders.

Literate
15th June 2006, 4:26 AM
You know. I think you went a bit too far.

OK, given that there exists a sort of RPer called a n00b which will not learn even if you drill it in their head the rules and requirements for your RPs, but there are newbs that are just inexperienced and need the experience to become accomplished RPers.
Hey. But you can write a decent one without having much expeirence.

When I first started here I got the impression that 'Oh I was new and therefore not worth the time/attention.' This forum seems to breed a clique of 'good RPers' and the formation of an 'Advanced RPers' forum would truly consolodate this notion.
Then try to become better and fit in. :p That's what I tried to do.

If I take one step out of bounds, I will be branded as a 'weak RPer' and will then not be allowed to play or be accepted in your group.
There are other groups/RPG to work with. You can join any of them.

Our attitude to the importance of our RPs need to be reevaluated as well. RPs are really games: they are meant to play together and enjoy each other's skill and ability.
Yeah, there are many. There are people who can't really cooperate if they can't really appreciate their skill. Basically, you just found one of the problems here.

But because a rule was looked over or not understood, the GM denied them outright and said they "wasted my time."
I don't know, but I've never been to any RPG with GMs like that.

RPing is a big waste of time: we could be doing other things that would be more productive, like chores. But this is supposed to be fun, not a chore. To treat is as work shows that you simply put way to important on something which will be probably be forgotten a week, a month, a year from now.
Of course. Now what would be more fun with RPGing with people who breaks the fourth wall, summon a character into existence, powerplay, bunnying, and godmoding? [/sarcasm] So yeah, that's why the rules are enforced.

I suggest that people honestly stop bickering about the "n00b problem" and instead DO something about it!
We're aren't bickering. If you call us bickering, then you call any other council bickering. We're accessing problems. Seeing what could be inproved. *points at title*

To allow improvement, you need to put methods to allow that. Bickering of it like a bunch of old people does not solve anything except venting out pent up frustration.
And if you have a great idea, post it.

I hate to suggest this, but I think this forum may rely too much on the moderators, and puts them in a position where they look over us like an overseer of a quarry. We should allow them the opportunity to "walk among us" so to speak and give them the same authority while allowing them to be friendly and "loose." They are people too, and have the same problems with schedules, classes, and whatever that we do. They also have the same needs of just being able to chill, talk and laugh. They are people, as are we all. And like the mods, we too have a vested interest in the content and quality of the play we have here. We should also share in that responsibility with them to ensure that the new people are given an opportunity to learn and improve.
Yeah. And most people here, don't allow them to chill, talk, and stuffs. n00bs just create trouble 'cause they want to.

DO have fun here, this is a game, the purpose of being here is to have fun and share experiences with others.
Most fun poeple post here is spam. Like someone said in a different thread, this place is not here for chatting. It is a game, with tighter rules that allows your imagination to run if you can't write a fan-fiction.

DO allow second chances, hell, we all had moments when we just have brain farts.
Some people here take advantage of the chances and the mods just get upset, when they keep breaking the rules.

DO realize that people have lives and may not always be able to post.
Here, here! Some people bump threads, just to ask where the GM is.

DO try to post, even if the above may apply.
Yeah, it's no fun posting a thread that only several people is posting and the rest forgot.

DO praise, I see alot of negative talk and criticism, but not so much praise.
There is criticism? I don't see much..

Do try to point new people (and even n00bs) in the right direction before yelling at them. Inexperience is curable; stupidity should be dealt with by the moderators (I won't say they are unnecessary >.>)
Most mods just get fustrated so if they do point them out, most of the times it falls on deaf ears. The mods might think that some people would repeatedly get on people's nerves and snap them, and when another person comes along (supposing this is a newb) and they do something wrong, chances are the mods don't have enough patience, as it ran out, wasted on teh n00bs that don't listen. No one can tell if a person is a n00b, newb, or just a regular member.

This is OUR forum, and it is OURS to do with what we think is right. To 'fix' the newb/n00b problem, it is on ALL of our shoulders.
Then there won't be any problem. See, if everyone cooperated, then there will be no n00bs. ;)

See my point?

(That was a huge post)

~PEACE~

P.S. Betcha didn't think I'm a newb.

Ytnim
15th June 2006, 5:55 AM
I drift to and from this website and so really couldn't be called a regular visitor to these forums. I do stop in from time to time, see what RPG's are going on at the moment, etc.

I'm going to bring up another issue (as the only issue I see raised at the moment is the one about the newer role players that play on the forums) that I'm pretty sure you all realise, but nothing really seems to be done about it.

I'm talking about how 100% of RPGs here die, mostly due to inactivity. (If one has actually finished please let me know, and I'll edit the 100% to a 99%)

Other forums I visit don't have this as a major issue, and I'm just going to list a couple of differences between Serebii and them, that may help the longitivity of the RPGs on the forums here. They also may not, but I think its a good idea to list them anyway.

Most GMs here make characters in there own RPGs. On other RPG forums I visit, the GMs don't. This could be because the RPGs are different here, as the forums I mentioned Roleplay using some kind of system to create characters, do combat, etc, such as the Dungeons and Dragons D20 system, and controlling the system is time consuming enough, without having a character to worry about as well.

Instead, they take on the role of a narrator if you like. Instead of just letting the players loose on their RPG, they narrate what they encounter.

For example, I'll take a normal trainer RPG and show you how I mean.

Here is an example of a normal post (albiet a really bad one) normally found here at Serebii.

Bob walks down the road leaving Pallet town, having just recieved his first pokemon ever, a Charmander he has named Flame. All along the side of the road is big tall grass that Bob knows pokemon hide in. Eager to test his mettle as a pokemon trainer, the young man looks around for any pokemon to battle. Spotting a Pidgey all by itself, Bob throws Flame's pokemon forward, releasing the fire pokemon from it's travelling space.
<insert pokemon battle>
Bob throws a pokeball at the unconscious Pidgey and it changes into red energy, sucked inside the ball. The ball wobbles once, twice, three times then lies silent, indicating that Bob has captured the flying pokemon.

The GM has absolutely no say in what pokemon appears, if he catches it, or how the battle as a whole goes. Now follows the norm at the previously mentioned forums that I visit, again using the same basic trainer RPG.

Bob walks down the road leaving Pallet town, having just recieved his first pokemon ever, a Charmander he has named Flame. All along the side of the road is big tall grass that Bob knows pokemon hide in. Eager to test his mettle as a pokemon trainer, the young man looks around for any pokemon to battle.

Bob has an indepth search for any signs of movement among the tall grass, and out of the corner of his eye, spots some rustling in the grass to his left. Upon closer inspection, Bob finds a lone rattata, pecking and scratching the ground.

Bob pulls a pokeball from his waist and throws it in front of the rattata, releasing Flame from inside.

"Flame use <insert several moves here>!"

The battle would continue, the player probably giving a few moves at a time, as not to make the posts too short.

These examples obviously lacked description, but with little effort description could be added so they fall within the rules of the forum.

I'm not telling you all to start GMing your games like this, you can ignore this post if you wish, this may not even go towards helping the situation, I am just saying what is different between the RPGs here at Serebii, and other forums I visit that don't have so many RPGs dying due to inactivity. In the new example I posted, people don't know exactly what the GM is going to throw at them, and so adds that little bit of excitement and intrigue for the player who wants to post more, to see what the GM is going to pull from his or her sleeve next.

The next big thing that I notice the difference of, is post length. On serebii, so many people are fantasic writers, many of whom write fan-fics also, and can make very long and drawn out posts, not unlike a fan-fic chapter. I have dabbled in fan-fic writing once or twice, I had the ideas there, but I really couldn't keep the length up and I was told so. I myself feel kind of pressured to write phenomenally lengthy posts to keep up with the other players, when perhaps I could get the message across of what my character is doing in a paragraph or two. Again, I'm not asking anyone to change their writing style in any way, shape or form, as for all I know, this could be a problem that only I possess, and no one else feels this way, but if anyone else out there feels overwhelmed by the amount of writing some people do just to say their character wakes up from being unconscious, you're not alone. If anyone realises that they may write a little bit more than they need to get get their point across, and maybe want to tone it down a little so some people don't feel so intimidated, then just cut that extra sentence from your paragraph that just explains in more depth what you just described, avoid using several different terms to describe a tree when one or two will suffice.

It is true that challenges bring out the best in us, and that by having other people that can write longer and more detailed posts can help us improve our own writing, but on the same token, I feel that some people take description a little too far, and have several paragraphs of descriptive writing to the one paragraph of saying what your character is actually doing.

Like I mentioned several times previously, something I can't stress enough, I don't want make people feel they need to change how they go about participating in RPGs because they have too. But if you think maybe changing a little something in your style of GMing or posting length could help people stick around an RPG, by all means try it. If you disagree with everything I have said, and try one or more of my methods just to prove me wrong, then by all means, go ahead. Or if you just want to step outside your comfort zone, mix things up a bit, just take things for a test run, again, it's all yours.

~*Nobody*~
15th June 2006, 7:10 AM
Well GM's play in their RPGs because they think other people will find it fun. And of course some GMs might feel left out just watching other people play in their RPG. That is one reason most GMs play in their own RPGs.

I still agree that there should be a seperate forum for better RPG players. But then again thats just some of us.

Ytnim
15th June 2006, 8:41 AM
Well GM's play in their RPGs because they think other people will find it fun. And of course some GMs might feel left out just watching other people play in their RPG. That is one reason most GMs play in their own RPGs.
I'm not looking for reasons that GMs play in their RPGs. I am simply saying that I believe it is easier for GMs to control and shape the plot the way they want it if they take the role of a narrator. Advancing the plot and fleshing out a character as a game progresses is rather hard, if done correctly. (Not saying it can't be done, just that it takes twice much work) In the narrator role they can create NPCs as they like, and they can be as detailed as they need be, from a simple shop owner to someone who helps the party for a short period of time. Plus the GM would also need to control the actions of villains that wish to thwart the actions of the player's characters, if the RPG has such characters that is.

Even so, I mentioned multiple times in my post that I didn't intend for people to change the way they participated in RPGs, so I fail to see why posting a reason people shouldn't change is needed.

MerkelHog
5th July 2006, 7:49 PM
I like the idea of creating a new sub-forum. But instead of having it be used by either experienced rpers or newbies, how about we make it a sign up approval forum.

Cause it seems to me that the problems don't start with posts in the rpgs themselves but in the sign up thread. There have been way too many bad RPGs that have gone through the Sign Up thread phase and onto the regular RPG. And the best way to stop them from getting this far is by not allowing them onto the regular sign up forum until they are up to SPPF regular standards.

This is where the Sign Up Approval Sub-forum will come into play. I suggest we find experienced rpers, retired or active, and have them look over the sign ups that have been posted and approve them or not. Those approved will be moved to the regular sign up forum where as those that are not won't. The ones not approved will stay in the Approval forum and receive advise from the reviewers on how to make the sign up better. If lets say after three editings, the sign up is still not up to par, then the reviewer will deny that sign up from ever being posted in the Sign Up forum.

If we put this into effect then I am certain many of the subpar RPGs that may arise will never get the chance to.

RaZoR LeAf
6th July 2006, 12:21 AM
I like the idea of creating a new sub-forum. But instead of having it be used by either experienced rpers or newbies, how about we make it a sign up approval forum.

Cause it seems to me that the problems don't start with posts in the rpgs themselves but in the sign up thread. There have been way too many bad RPGs that have gone through the Sign Up thread phase and onto the regular RPG. And the best way to stop them from getting this far is by not allowing them onto the regular sign up forum until they are up to SPPF regular standards.

This is where the Sign Up Approval Sub-forum will come into play. I suggest we find experienced rpers, retired or active, and have them look over the sign ups that have been posted and approve them or not. Those approved will be moved to the regular sign up forum where as those that are not won't. The ones not approved will stay in the Approval forum and receive advise from the reviewers on how to make the sign up better. If lets say after three editings, the sign up is still not up to par, then the reviewer will deny that sign up from ever being posted in the Sign Up forum.

If we put this into effect then I am certain many of the subpar RPGs that may arise will never get the chance to.

We can't really have a team of people approving sign up forms for RPGs they didn't make. It's enough to comment on the lngth of them, or if they leave obvious plot holes in their characters, but to approve them for an RPG without knowing what the game master is looking for is going a step too far.

Hikozaru Master
25th August 2006, 4:54 PM
I just have one question, can I advertise a website that I own for RPG purposes, like a huge Pokemon RPG that you can't create with just one thread? Because I really have nowhere else to advertise, and I wouldn't want to break the rules. I'll put on the website 'I have full permission from the Serebii Forums Crew' if you allow it.

RaZoR LeAf
25th August 2006, 9:07 PM
Did you even read the rules? No you bloody well can't. It's not only against the RPG Rules, but the overall rules of the forum. If you waqnt to advertise, use your sig (which is breaking the rules as it is anyway) like everyone else has to.

Hikozaru Master
26th August 2006, 5:51 PM
I read the forum rules and they don't say anything about that. I didn't even see the RPG rules. And did you have to be so rude about it?

RaZoR LeAf
26th August 2006, 10:03 PM
Yes. I shouldn't have to answer questions that are clearly explained by the forum rules. You think I wrote the RPG rules for fun? No, I wrote them to be read, but people who come into the forum qith questions on what they can and cannot do. People like you. You had no problem seeing this topic, so how did you miss the rules? They're both sticky topics. Also:

1. Do not spam
Spam is usually defined as the following:

Is obviously stupid, pointless, and annoying. e.g. "peekachew is teh r0x0rs!!!111!!" or "in before lock"
Does not contribute or is off topic. e.g. Topic about Manafi: "Manafi is the new Pokemon!" or "There should be a new battle system for D/P". This also includes posting just "Yeah, I agree" with nothing else.
Flames someone. e.g "Latios sucks!" or "j00 n00b"
Attempts to say something with no information to provide a better understanding. e.g. "Latios isn't a good mod." (Will be treated as spam if something isn't provided within a few days).
Makes absolutely no sense. e.g. "OMFG I LIKE CAUGHT THIS MEWTWO AND THEN I TRADED MY CARD FOR A HOLO AND I ROXORS J00 YOUR TEAMS SUXORS LOLZ"
Advertises. e.g. "Visit my forums now!"
Replying to a topic that a particular post is spam.
Minimodding. e.g. "The topic is answered now, it can be closed."

ashkid1993
15th November 2006, 1:48 AM
Yes, being a noob was difficult, as some of you may remember. I'm a better rpger now(I'm not sure how. I just made my own topic one day, and suddenly I'm much better at rpging. Maybe it was that making a topic made me have a better appreciation for the thought going into rpgs, and made me put more thought into my sing up sheet, though meh.)On topic: I don't think that the seperate newbie forum would be better, as no newbies would post there. They would go in thinking that they are the best rpger ever. To counteract this, you may have to have mod approval to go in the regular rpgs. Yeah! Great idea! Say most non-mods. Though, mods would not be happy about this. They would end up having to approve and disapprove about 20 people a day, making them eventually let everyone in or turn everyone down. We can all agree that this would not be good. The only way to fix it lies in the GMs themselves. If the newbies don't stop, then the GMs just have to be more harsh. The mods shouldn't have to do everything.