PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Pariah

Felix Feral Fezirix
18th June 2006, 2:25 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/uz/pariah.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/7e/pariah.jpg

2W: Enchantment
--------------------
Urza's Saga Rare, Seventh Edition Rare.

All damage that would be dealt to you is dealt to enchanted creature instead.
--------------------
“It is not sad,” Radiant chided the lesser angel. “It is right. Every society must have its outcasts.”
--------------------
A valiant knight’s life has no meaning without honor.
--------------------

This card is plainly abusable. The fact that it is an enchantment screams out that you can plant it on your opponent's creature (preferably their most powerful creature) and watch yourself escape death for a turn at your opponent's expense. Of course, you can always plant it an indestructable creature.

Sure, it'll get knocked off sooner or later, but it'll most likely be useful while it lasts, and a little enchantment recycling (Dowsing Shaman, for one, in a G/W deck) should make it really fun.

And if it goes on an indestructable creature, a few counters wouldn't hurt to protect it for a little while longer, would it?

Whee fun.

-plants it on opponent's Krojan Cloudscraper and begins blasting black mana into Pestilence-

4/5.

klducks
18th June 2006, 4:00 PM
Got Phytohydra?

Rudimentarybrain
18th June 2006, 5:00 PM
Pestilince is easily stopped by urzas armor, and why play crosan cloudscraper when you could play Coalhauler swine and give it pariah and shield of kaldra? anyway, pariah is a fun card in casual play like almost all of the other COTD, but its not efficient in tournament play. and from now on I'll rate the cards for both types of play, also, there is a newer card called pariah's shield if you werent aware, which is pretty much the equipment version of pariah. Casual 2.5/5 tournament 1/5

skiboydoggy
18th June 2006, 6:16 PM
There was one instant version of this, + Isochron's Scepter as well.
Plant on Unworthy Dead = Lol.
Then again, so is Fog + Scepter.

Shadow Trainer
18th June 2006, 10:49 PM
A great aura to stick on one of your creatures with high toughness or to stick on one of your opponent's creatures and use it as some sort of pseudo removal. 2/5

skiboydoggy
18th June 2006, 11:35 PM
Ze Enchantment Conclave's Blessing comes to mind.

~RaikouRider243~
19th June 2006, 4:07 AM
Odd thing is, I pulled a Pariah's Shield today. All you really have to do is stick this on Phytohydra or an indestructible creature, then you go to town.

Felix Feral Fezirix
19th June 2006, 10:51 AM
But the point is you can put this on your opponent's creature. And I was using Cloudscraper as an example. Your opponent plays it, and you play Pariah on it and rile them.

And Pestilence is another example. <_< Did you really think I would play a Pestilence deck with no Urza Armor's? I have 3 of them. And I mentioned Pestilence because Urza's Armor-less, I can deal 2 damage to Krojan Cloudscraper for each black mana. Remember the LOL factor.

Yes, I know Pariah Shield exists, but I rather use something which allows me to be able to plant it on an opponent's creature. I shan't argue with you about equipment vs enchantment, because it would be pointless. Equipments are equipments and enchantments are enchantments, and depending on your play style, one of them will suit you. I prefer Pariah and you prefer the Shield. End of story.

I desire Phytohydra and extra copies of Pariah for my Selesnya deck...-twitches-

Shadow the Hedgehog
20th June 2006, 1:08 AM
On non-indestructable creatures you could just give it inviobility. I love Pariah though. 3.5/5

skiboydoggy
21st June 2006, 10:55 AM
Hmm...
Equipment is superior because you can move it around, and it stays in play after equipped creature goes to graveyard, and Enchantment is better because you can enchant enemy creatures...
For the average deck really, Pariah Shield is better.

undisputed_seraphim
21st June 2006, 11:18 AM
Put a pariah on a Phytohydra...

You get a huge unstoppable monster.

Unless your opponent puts out a Dark Banishing, that is.

Felix Feral Fezirix
24th June 2006, 10:46 AM
Against a deck with no enchantment removal, however...

-cackles evilly-

skiboydoggy
24th June 2006, 4:20 PM
Doesn't have to be Enchantment you know. Just destroy the creatures.
Astral Slide etc would pwn it.

Felix Feral Fezirix
27th June 2006, 3:14 AM
It's a bit hard to kill your own creatures. >_<

Rudimentarybrain
28th June 2006, 7:18 PM
whooooaaa, i never said i preffered equipment over enchant creature cards. I really dont like one over the other because to me it all depends on the card, however I will say that my favorite equipment is umezawa's jitte because of its versatility. in the case of pariah vs pariah's shield I'd choose pairah because you can equip it to your opponents creatures and it takes your damage, and its only 2W instead of 5 plus 3 to attach it to one of your own creatures.

Felix Feral Fezirix
2nd July 2006, 5:27 PM
I was under the impression that you liked Pariah Shield better when it actually should rot in hell, IMO. Multiples of Pariah are enough for anyone. Chuck in enchantment recycle and you'll have fun...