PDA

View Full Version : Thinning the Hoard! (457)

Serebii
22nd June 2006, 12:42 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/457.jpgMay VS Harley! Double Battle On Stage!

After getting through the preliminaries of the Grand Festival and the first round of the finals, May ends up having to battle her old rival Harley in a double battle. Munchlax & Eevee VS Cacturne & Wigglytuff. Will May be able to defeat her rival and will Drew & Saori manage to get through to the finals aswell?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/457.shtml)

Discuss

Dreamcoat
22nd June 2006, 2:47 PM
Some of the positive things about this episode were, definitely, seeing Harley with his new r0x0rz Wigglytuff and the 00ber combinations made by Munchlax and Eevee.

rocky505
22nd June 2006, 2:51 PM
you can tell drew and saori will make it.

Rizardon
22nd June 2006, 3:32 PM
You guys think May will actually win this Grand Festival, resulting in
May and Brock will go home, and Ash and Max(with a starter D/P) travelling
to the D/P region? Sure hope not though. :)

Contest Fan
22nd June 2006, 4:51 PM
I don't think May will win, I think she will make final four, Saori is most likly to win in my oppinion

rocky505
22nd June 2006, 5:44 PM
it will be may beats harley drew loses to saori saoribeats may.

CyberCubed
22nd June 2006, 5:54 PM
it will be may beats harley drew loses to saori saoribeats may.

Wrong, May will be battling Drew. We don't know who battles Saori yet.

Contest Fan
22nd June 2006, 7:17 PM
So ,has anyone seen the ep yet?

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd June 2006, 8:46 PM
I heard that on Pokeani supposedly Ash tries to catch Aipom and fails, and May beats Harley and is battling Drew next.

Ashy Boy
22nd June 2006, 9:33 PM
What are Team Rocket planning this time? They may not have caused a lot of trouble in the last ep, but I get a feeling that they are scheming something. I'm just not sure of what.

BrokenDreams
22nd June 2006, 10:33 PM
Looks like the writers are making May look uber again I mean a Munchlax and Evee vs Cacturne and Wigglytuf can't the writers stop they never did it for Ash. Seriously I hope Harely gives May a hard battle before she does some kind of miracle or luck.

The Great Butler
22nd June 2006, 11:56 PM
So he finally tries to catch that monkey and he FAILED? Wow.

All of a sudden I got the feeling that May is going to catch Aipom when all is said and done O_o

ghost master
23rd June 2006, 12:53 AM
Looks like the writers are making May look uber again I mean a Munchlax and Evee vs Cacturne and Wigglytuf can't the writers stop they never did it for Ash. Seriously I hope Harely gives May a hard battle before she does some kind of miracle or luck. First of all we dont know how she beat Harley yet. Second of all how is it being uber. She has had Munchlax for a while now and he has a good set of moves. She also has worked hard with Eevee and trained it. However Wigglytuff is a fairly new addition to Harley's team. Why is it uber if May beats coordinators with unevolved pokemon but, Ash did it all the time in Kanto and Johto. If anything its more understandable with contests because there is a time limit. Also we are supposed to wait till people have details or we have seen pics/episode.

PeteDHeat
23rd June 2006, 1:45 AM
Ash's Missing Spot on The Team is probably for Aipom or Perrapu.Perrapu's Debut in only Three episodes away now.Now Ash could have an 4th gen pokemon too.But He should catch Aipom,that little Naughty Monkey has been following him everywhere.Thats means that Aipom Likes Ash.

CyberCubed
23rd June 2006, 2:13 AM
Ash's Missing Spot on The Team is probably for Aipom or Perrapu.Perrapu's Debut in only Three episodes away now.Now Ash could have an 4th gen pokemon too.

Ash already has a flying type on his team.

intergalactic platypus
23rd June 2006, 3:16 AM
Ash already has a flying type on his team.
Yeah but Swellow won't stay for long. As soon as the gang heads to Shinou Swellow will either be Oak'd or dumped off in some clever plot device to perform a task

CyberCubed
23rd June 2006, 4:00 AM
Yeah but Swellow won't stay for long. As soon as the gang heads to Shinou Swellow will either be Oak'd or dumped off in some clever plot device to perform a task

These aren't the crappy Johto writers, although it is obvious his entire AG team will be Oak'd eventually in favor of D/P Pokemon. Ash doesn't need a flying type at the moment, but he may catch one when we're in Shinou.

To keep this on topic, at least Ash tried to capture Aipom but failed! Awesome, now Ash is unlikely to bother to try again to capture the little monkey.

jolteonjak
23rd June 2006, 4:31 AM
Awesome, now Ash is unlikely to bother to try again to capture the little monkey.

Check out the preview for part 3...

CyberCubed
23rd June 2006, 4:42 AM
If we're lucky Pikachu will just send the thing blasting off like Team Rocket! :p

cold_katanagirl
23rd June 2006, 5:28 AM
The number of people who viewed this thread is 777. Odd.

Anyone know why Scary!Drew appeared?

Ashy Boy
23rd June 2006, 8:47 AM
it is obvious his entire AG team will be Oak'd eventually in favor of D/P Pokemon.
That's not true at all. Ash would never get rid of his AG team for good.

Serebii
23rd June 2006, 9:54 AM
Pics are up on SPP guys

Chatsy
23rd June 2006, 10:15 AM
Seen pictures:

We see Drew using Absol for the second appeal, and does very good. These appeals are much much much better than the first round, that's for sure.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/shiny.jpg

Harley is clipping his nails. Lol, at the randomness.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/024.jpg

We see that the Grand Festival is viewed by the Salary Man and Wakana (insert Jo-Jo being very happy here).

Jessie tries to interview Drew after his appeal but he's being a biatch.

Harley's appeal is FIERCE. Octillery looks really awesome there.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/069.jpg

We then see Ash trying to get his hat back from Aipom which is sitting up on a treebranch. It then does the Bii-da (that little...) Ash gets angry and has Pikachu Quick Attack the freakish little monkey and gets his hat back. Pikachu then electrifies the damn thing and it collapses to the ground.
Ash tries to capture it with a Pokéball but Aipom stands back up and hits the ball back at him, knocking the boy to the ground.

We then see Saori in her appeal. She uses Slowbro which is standing on its...shell/tail while making a swirly Water Gun attack, I think.
May is up next and Ash then comes in, waving and cheering for her while joining Brock and Max.
May uses Munchlax for her appeal, and uses... What is the attack where it creates a lightball? Is it really Solarbeam? o.o
Anyway, it shoots the attack upwards, then jumps up and punches it into a glittery...glitter.

The appeal is over and May is out back and very anxious about making through the appeal. Them boys are trying to cheer her up and it works. Saori then comes up, apparently complimenting May. Then Harley comes up and says something that shocks the others. Probably about Drew because the following scene is with him training his Absol and the gang approaches him.

They talk, Drew seems annoyed, calls back his Absol to its Pokéball and is about to walk away. Then May follows him, says something and he yells at her then walks away, leaving May behind looking hurt, while Harley is behind the bushes (!) smirking.

It's at the evening now and May sits on a bench with Saori and Max, still looking hurt.
Then we see Drew sitting on the ground near a lake, looking emo. Then Ash and Brock approaches him and Ash sits down near Drew, while talking and petting Pikachu. PREECH TIME!
Then Drew seems confident rather than emo and then we see a nice shot of the pretty sunset.

The next day, we see the remaining competitors standing and looking at a screen to see who they're to battle against.
It's the top 16 btw.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/216.jpg
So May and Harley have to battle and the battle starts.
Damn, Harley's Wigglytuff (!) is FIERCE!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/242.jpg
Aipom then comes in and jumps onto Ash's shoulder, very curious about this battle.
Wigglytuff's (!) bloating (lol) makes it very difficult for May's Munchlax and Eevee to lay an attack which lowers May's points and Aipom looks dumbfounded.
May manages to have her Eevee shoot a Shadow Ball to knock Harley's Cacturne out. Now it's only Wigglytuff against May's two Pokémon (wow, Cacturne sure got to do a lot, eh?)

Wigglytuff's (!) a biatch.

May's Pokémon continue to attack and Aipom looks dumbfounded.

Wigglytuff's (!) floating about but suddenly it loses its .... balance? because of the blast of Eevee's Shadow Ball hitting the roof. It falls to the ground and May's Munchlax punches it, knocking it out.
May wins (surprise surprise) and Harley's is shocked.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/336.jpg

Aipom is happy and dances while them boys stare at it. (Oh god, DIE ALREADY!)

Drew wins his battle (no duh) with his Masquerain and Roselia against a Loudred and Medicham and Saori wins her battle (no duh) with her Lapras and Slowbro (does she even have other Pokémon?) against a Girafig and Zangoose.

Aaaand...May and Drew's battle has started. Woopdedooo. The battle is FIERCE and the episode ends with Drew and May having shiny eyes. Ooooooooo!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/389.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/390.jpg

Credit to filb for the pictures.
And yes, I just saw Serebii having his pictures up but I stand by my long review XD I'm bored.

Russian May
23rd June 2006, 10:23 AM
Lol! I love Harley's expressoin! It makes all the things funnier! Anywy, it's a great episode! Maybe, somebody will put it on YouTube, because I saw a first GF episode there.

Edit: Yeah! I'm a Hive trainer!

Chatsy
23rd June 2006, 10:25 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/rofl/216.jpg
I just looked at this picture again and I realised.... They completely skipped a battle of May's since we saw her battle Drew now. That is, unless they shuffle the competitors again, then she's already in the top 4 by the end of this episode!

Bah. I'm confused.

EDIT:

Actually, judging by that order, the two of them shouldn't even meet unless they were in the absolute final as in the top 2.
What the...?!

And awwww at the pictures here:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/47.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/46-1.jpg

I love random pictures.

Darkstorm16
23rd June 2006, 12:28 PM
You know this is really anyone's game now, but I believe May might have a chance of winning. Also I like that Aipom, he's funny. I think Ash will capture him becuase Aipom will probably want to go on an adventure with them (like all of Ash's other pokemon) I mean did Ash really give up when he was trying to get Treecko? no, so I say Ash will either try to say good by to Aipom, but Aipom wants to go with him or something like that.

The Big Al
23rd June 2006, 12:35 PM
I'll give Munchlax K.O.'ing Wigglytuff with Focus Punch. That's and a massive attack and seeing how Munchlax way as much as it does, I don't think the Stay Puff Marshellow 'mon would be all that well off after taking it. However, I'm goi g to whine a little about Eevee's shadow ball OHKO on Caturne. One, the dreaded type matching. Caturne has a natural resistance to Ghost attacks. It would have little to injure it. And too, Eevee shouldn't be strong enough to create a Shadow Ball that devastating. It's not as cheap as Squirtle's win but it's not completely fair.

Aipom must die.

Dark Cacturne
23rd June 2006, 12:38 PM
It might be that May will win, but now I want it to be Drew! May always win if Drew uses cool pokémon (I'm talking about Absol). And Damn...May defeated harley so easy, cacturne was already dead in what...2 seconds??? It's just wrong, I want a real loooooooooooooong battle!

BTW Cacturne and Absol in one episode, COOL!!!!

Isn't this episode great?? YES IT IS!!

I love it, 1st there's Cacturne my favourite, and then there's Abosl, my 2nd favourite

See ya!!

FireHead Hank
23rd June 2006, 12:48 PM
These appeals are getting better and better. I love how Octillery uses a fire attack, just awesome.
I'm surprised of Harley's Wigglytuff. First I thought it wouldnt fit with Harley's "creepy"-theme team. But I guess I'm wrong, Wigglytuff looks like a mad b*tch XD(it's face expression at least).
Seems like Ash is really going to catch the Aipom...oh well.

Lupin
23rd June 2006, 2:12 PM
Harleys Appeal just plain ruled, thats what an appeal should look like in my opinion. His Wigglytuff just looked funny though, having the whole biatch thing going on.

And Ash failing to capture Aipom??? There must be a D/P evolution for it as I can't see the writers giving the main character an old pokemon.

ŁańkaŃ
23rd June 2006, 2:15 PM
Harleys Appeal just plain ruled, thats what an appeal should look like in my opinion. His Wigglytuff just looked funny though, having the whole biatch thing going on.

And Ash failing to capture Aipom??? There must be a D/P evolution for it as I can't see the writers giving the main character an old pokemon.

This has been something going on for ages for the Aipom thing..since Aipom made an appearance with Ash's hat

well if so...it better be drawn well

anyway...the ep was good Cacturne was out fast...dat was kinda sad

jolteonjak
23rd June 2006, 2:55 PM
Why, oh why, couldn't Harley succeed in taking out one of May's Pokemon?

PlusleMinun
23rd June 2006, 3:20 PM
OMG! Ash is gonna catch Aipom!!!!!!
-lol just kidding but seriously, i hope that either a) Ash captures Aipom and later on it will evolve into a D/P Pokemon or b) it leaves Ash alone after Episode 459. Also, I tried watching the preview for next week's episode on the tv-tokyo site and for some reason even though the site says 29-6, it is still showing the trailer for yesterday. Weird.

Almighty Zard
23rd June 2006, 3:29 PM
you i'm curious to know one thing when did the rocker dude have time to take a picture with May it didn't seem like he did under how that episode went but it's cool that he got shown anyway nice to see other coordinators get mentioned besides the important ones.

Edit: i thought somebody said Combusken was glowing red at the end of the episode, or was that just next weeks preview.

GreenKirby
23rd June 2006, 3:34 PM
B-O-R-E-F-E-S-T!

Te episode downright stunk with too many boring parts and Cacturne fainting to a Shadow Ball. ONE Shadow Ball. You SB is NVE against Dark types, right? That's how cheesy the anime is (this isn't the first time they did this, They also screwed up like that in the Johto League battle against Harrison).

GREYFOX_08
23rd June 2006, 3:45 PM
Where is the torrent. I wanna see this episode!

Contest Fan
23rd June 2006, 3:52 PM
I thought this ep was way better thatn the last one espeacially in the appeals . The Harley vs May battle was too short epeacially Cacturne getting fainted after 1 shadowball

GREYFOX_08
23rd June 2006, 3:52 PM
Where's the torrent?

Porygandrew
23rd June 2006, 4:05 PM
Where's the torrent?

Squirtle's not battling, so it's ability torrent isn't shown. At least that what I hope you're alluding to <.<
Oh yeah! May's battle against Drew has both Squirtle and combusken! Both have an ability that would make them glow their respective color, kind of like Grovyle. Now that'd be neat! :D

What's with Absol's horns this episode? It looks like the black horn keeps shifting from point upwards to pointing downwards. @__@

Downwards: http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/457/AG141.jpg
Upwards: http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/457/AG143.jpg

Plus, you may be an aipom hater, but come on:
http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/457/AG252.jpg
OMG CUTE!!

WaterKrystal
23rd June 2006, 4:22 PM
Saw the pics, it did look good ( except for the Aipom part)

- Shuu's appeal with Absol looked interesting, surrounding itself in water was cool. Harley sitting and clipping his nails was just hilarious, he really adds to the GF, IMO.

- Shuu just walking away Jessie while she was (trying) to talk to him...I laughed at that.

- Octillery's fire appeal rocked, it looked so tough while being surrounded in flames.

- Aipom...that thing is SO annoying, I'm glad Ash didn't catch that thing, last thing I need is to see that Pokemon popping out of it's pokeball taking Ash ( or somebody else's) hat in an episode. Hopefully nobody catches it, if they do I'll yell.

- Shuu, I have no clue what he was doing/saying to Absol, or what Haruka said to him, but whatever it was he sure got ticked off enough. Wonder what Ash said to Shuu, 'cause whatever he said it looked like it sorta calmed him, or got though his head.

- Harley and Haruka's match...*sigh* what to say about this. First off, why couldn't Harley have knocked out one pokemon, but one of his Pokemon had to get knocked out by one shadow ball. WigglyTuff looks like a tough and bad*** fighter with that battle. What was the point of having Aipom watching the match, I really don't understand. Harley's face after Haruka was hugging her pokemon was too funny.

- Haruka and Shuu's battle is looking intense, I really can't tell if Squirtle was about to cry, or if it was shocked when Combusken fell down after the attacks hit it.

S.Suikun
23rd June 2006, 4:28 PM
YAY! WAKANA CAMEO! HUGGLE!

I really wish they didn't wait until halfway through the episode to start the battle. That's what resulted in it being rushed. Oh, and of course the whole unfunny Aipom thing. I think the writers wanted to give Wigglytuff the majority of the screentime, and since we've seen Cacturne so much, they felt it didn't need too last long. I don't know how Saori's been able to make it as far as she has, because to be honest, her appeals aren't that great (I didn't even like the Lapras one in the previous episode). But I think I should wait until I actually see the episode to make further calls.

Where's the torrent?
Go to Ohio. They are currently submerged in a TORRENT of water.

Almighty Zard
23rd June 2006, 4:31 PM
guys that one Shadow Ball that did Cacturne in was the one that Munchlax punched in the preview and i did notice that the ball had a white arua surrounding it in the pictures so it may have absorbed the fighting energy from Munchlax's Focus Punch and that is what did Cacturne in and not just the ball itself.

PlusleMinun
23rd June 2006, 4:55 PM
May's battle against Drew has both Squirtle and Blaziken! Both have an ability that would make them glow their respective color, kind of like Grovyle. Now that'd be neat! :D

It's Combusken, not Blaziken, you got me all hyped up! >:(

Torkoal Stu
23rd June 2006, 5:36 PM
And awwww at the pictures here:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/47.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/46-1.jpg

I love random pictures.
I loved those as well ^_^ The Wanaka ones are so sweet <3 But at least they showed them, and they have pictures unlike last time when they were just watching TV. But this time her kinda Rivals have pictures of her. Thats cool IMO.

I think Jo-Jo or Cybercubed are going to be very happy, since one of them wanted to see Wanaka again ever since she first appeared.

But I think thats even cooler is that she has a picture of Drew! Admirationshipping!

The Appeals rocked much more this time, last time they were lack-luster and this time less awful.

Though Caroline and like Norman not watching kinda shocked me, maybe they will next episode? ^_~

Rizardon
23rd June 2006, 6:01 PM
I,m downloading this episode right now, it just came out!
I cant wait to see this battle, i really wonder why Drew got all mad
at May, my Japanese sucks....

And when, oh when is Combusken ever gonna evolve into a Blaziken? Do the writers think Blaziken would be too uber/contest-unworthy for May?

Rufinito18
23rd June 2006, 6:10 PM
I can't wait to see this episode :D

Judai Yuki
23rd June 2006, 6:27 PM
The preview for the third one is awesome because of the Aipom.

The Big Al
23rd June 2006, 6:39 PM
guys that one Shadow Ball that did Cacturne in was the one that Munchlax punched in the preview and i did notice that the ball had a white arua surrounding it in the pictures so it may have absorbed the fighting energy from Munchlax's Focus Punch and that is what did Cacturne in and not just the ball itself.
All it would do is slightly increase the velocity. It's wouldn't have transfered fighting energy since there's no such thing. The point of fighting attack is that's they're purely dependant on muscle and skill and can't be transfered to ball of dark energy. Admit it, the writers pulled another cheap win out of their hind ends.

S.Suikun
23rd June 2006, 7:04 PM
Now for some quickfire thoughts as I'm watching:

- Harley's filing his nails? Ha.
- Wakana: Profile of a true fangirl.
- XD @ Wobbuffet blinding Jessie.
- Dance along with Harley!
- Aipom must die now.
- How do you sock and suspend a beam of energy?
- All right, so May's already in the Top 16 when against Harley.
- That's one EVIL looking Wigglytuff.
- How did Aipom sneak past security without an entrance pass?
- Non-vocal Haruka's Theme is starting to get annoying now.
- Hooray! Munchy's getting the crap slapped out of it by giant ears!
- You know what would have been funny? Having Wiggly get blown against Cacturne, thus popping it and sending the thing flying.
- Looks like May learned something from teetering Banette in the last contest.

cold_katanagirl
23rd June 2006, 7:36 PM
I have to talk about pics because I don't know where you can watch the episode. Losers. <_<

- Absol has an interesting looking appeal. May's mouth is open.
- Yay, Wakana! I'm really liking those pictures.
- Jessie got REJECT'D by Drew. Meowth looks like Hitler.
- Harley had a pretty cool looking appeal.
- Ash FAIL'D in his attempt to capture Aipom. Good.
- That Slowbro was Saori, right? It didn't look too interesting to me.
- What's Harley saying to May? Now she looks all DETERMIN'D.
- I don't know why Ash is looking happy. He just FAIL'D after all, glad to see May in time or something?
- May's appeal looks OK. At least there isn't any ice.
- Looks like the guys cheered May up some.
- Why is Scary!Drew there?! Harley is evil.
- Hm, wonder if Respectshippers are happy. Er, if you ignore Brock.
- I guess Drew wasn't the scariest looking thing in the episode. Wigglytuff rawks.
- That fuggin Aipom.
- The way Harley lost looks kind of stupid. Almost cheap. Maybe.
- The theory that Saori would have lost before Drew/May did is SUNK'D. She's into the next round, thanks to some unimportant coordinator of the minute.
- Drew and May have sparkly eyes! About time their rivalry is brought back again.

Yup, I'm done. D:

Flamez
23rd June 2006, 8:48 PM
Seen the episode.
Nice to see the salary man and wakana. Wakana got a nice big screen tv.lol Shes eating cookies while watching.
The appeals were fine not that great IMO. Octillerys appeal was very good though. I was impressed.
May vs. Harley was like 5 mins that battle started at 14:30 and finished at the 19:00 mark of the episode. Cacturne getting knocked out by shadow ball with combination of munchlax punching it was extremely stupid. Cacturne has been with Harley for a long time, we first saw it when he first battled may. Eevee is not a powerhouse, ok maybe may has trained it but for cacturne to get knocked out by a damn shadowball attack is lame. Wigglytuff is the sickest pokemon alive,lol. I loved the part where it was slapping the life out of munchlax and eevee. Its soo disappointing though that cacturne got knocked out in like 30 seconds and harley didnt even take one of mays pokemon out.
Drew vs. May starts at the end. Whoever wins this will most likely enter the Top 4. Mays in the top 8 right now, im pretty sure thats how it is.
Squirtle starts off with a rapid spin and flygon uses sandstorm. Combusken jumps on top of squirtle while its doing rapid spin and goes in for a mega kick but absol jumps inside the sandstorm and uses flash, blinding combusken. Then absol jumps out and iron tails combusken to the ground and squirtle seems to look disappointed. May then orders combusken to use sky uppercut and tells squirtle to use bubble, this is where the episode comes to a close.
Overall, it wasn't that good of an episode. Wigglytuff and Octillery IMO saved it from being a total dissaster. I'd give it a 7/10

Darkstorm16
23rd June 2006, 9:17 PM
Now I really can't wait until the conclusion.

The Great Butler
23rd June 2006, 9:23 PM
I know this is repetitive, but where can I get the preview?

Another 00bered out win for May >_> Really, Cacturne being felled by one Shadow Ball is almost as bad as that Phantom match way back when. At least Wigglytuff was owning her on its own for a while until it.....tripped? I couldn't really make out what happened.

Harley is funny. Just standin' there, randomly clipping his nails...

Meowth does look like Hitler with that moustache. That's gonna get edited when these are dubbed, almost certainly.

Octillery's appeal OWNED. I now love that thing.

I know lots of people already hate Aipom, but I thought it was adorable in this episode, just sitting on Ash's shoulder enraptured by the battle.

I think May is actually going to beat Drew. A five-minute match won't last the whole next episode especially when it's already started. My prediction: May beats Drew, then gets stomped by Saori.

Dreamcoat
23rd June 2006, 10:07 PM
I know this is repetitive, but where can I get the preview?
=0

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/main.html

(Remember, you need to touch May in order to see it)

Fizban
23rd June 2006, 10:13 PM
Cacturne getting knocked out fast is a shame, but it is understandable. It was pretty high up when it was coming in for the Needle Arm attack, so it had no way to really move out of the way when the powerful Focus-Shadow Ball nailed it in the face. The poor little thing wasn't even able to break his fall after getting hit.

At least Wigglytuff was owning her on its own for a while until it.....tripped? I couldn't really make out what happened.May saw that Wigglytuff was able to ride around in the air to avoid attacks, so she had Munchlax and Eevee fire their attacks behind it so they would produce an explosion which would bring it closer down to the ground. Munchlax used Eevee as a launching board to get up to Wigglytuff and deliver a strong Focus Punch right into the fluffball.

If anything about that part of the battle was wrong, it was the Munchlax bouncing off of Eevee. That little brawler weighs a ton.

It was really funny how after all the Shadow Balls/Solar Beams missed they cut to May's life-bar shooting down like mad.

The Great Butler
23rd June 2006, 10:17 PM
^^Much thanks.

What is with Combusken in the end of that? Is that the Blaze ability.........or is another type of Blaze about to make its entrance?

Dreamcoat
23rd June 2006, 10:25 PM
^^Much thanks.

What is with Combusken in the end of that? Is that the Blaze ability.........or is another type of Blaze about to make its entrance?
Speculations are that it's either Blaze (it got that sorta red glow, kinda like Grovyle had with Overgrow in the Petalburg Gym episode), Overheat (PKMN usually glow red before using it) or that it is about to evolve.

ZTcrazy
23rd June 2006, 10:40 PM
I haven't seen the pics for this episode, it sounds good. But I'm so glad May beat Harley, he's so mean but funny nonetheless in his debut, A Cacturne for the Worse'.

PDL
23rd June 2006, 11:17 PM
seriously, what on earth is up with Aipom?

has it received so much neglect from fans that writers are now forcing it on us? seriously, he's a few steps away from being mascot equal to pikachu...

Geodude
24th June 2006, 12:13 AM
-The glowing is clearly Blaze. It's just like Grovyle's green glow in the Petalburg battle that turned out to be Overgrow. Pokemon glow white when they evolve, not other colors. What's more interesting to me is what the heck this scene (http://www.geoscreens.com/may/ag181squirtlering.jpg) from the next episode preview is all about. Could just be the start of a Rapid Spin or something, because Squirtle jumps up immediately afterward, but it could be something else...

-Good battles, good tactic by May to knock Wigglytuff out of the air.

-The Focus Punched Shadow Ball was indeed a good idea, someone (Lilian I think), who was right there, commented on how Focus Punch powered up the Shadow Ball. I agree with the thought that the intention was to give Wigglytuff most of the screentime. And the longer battle with it made up for the shorter battle with Cacturne.

-Aipom joining Ash in the stands was surprising, especially after the failed capture. And the fact that it clearly enjoyed watching the battle seems to me to be foreshadowing of some sort.

Crimsonmon
24th June 2006, 12:25 AM
What was Squirtle doing in preview just before May's dramatic close-up? It looked like it was causing a shockwave or something, and I can't check again as I already deleted the episode and TV-Tokyo's online versions lags on my PC.

I'm also liking the techno version of 'I Won't Lose!' more each time I see it, it's a shame that it won't be on Spurt's single. And speaking of 'I Won't Lose!', does anyone know what the ending is going to be after it? ANN lists it as ending at 184, and another damn 'O Dolka' song starting at 199, but nothing about what's in-between.

Darkstorm16
24th June 2006, 12:43 AM
WHy do people really hate Aipom? He's soo funny and just wants to play, just like some of his other pokemon.

PkmnBreederLuke
24th June 2006, 12:52 AM
I need Drew's Roselia. I really didn't care about this pokemon, then I saw Drew's in the anime and it's awesome.

I want one :(

Fizban
24th June 2006, 12:55 AM
Munchlax had a very interesting appeal this time. It started off simple enough, with May having him fire off a Solar Beam that was in ball form. Then she had Munchlax use a suprising amount of speed an wizard magic to jump above it and hit it with a Focus Punch. The result was a Solar Ball that hung in the air like the Sun and showered the audience with sparkly goodness.

If she had a pokemon that could use Moonlight she could combine it with this appeal to make a really awesome eclipse.

Geodude
24th June 2006, 1:47 AM
The size of the jump should not be the least bit surprising. We've seen Pokemon jump at least that high countless times before, and even Ash has done so. For a group of creatures that include ones such as Forretress that can fling themselves through the air with no means of propulsion whatsoever, this shouldn't be surprising.

Fizban
24th June 2006, 2:16 AM
My uncertainty about that jump probably stems from the one that it did later in the episode with Eevee. The one it used in the battle was more to give it some extra force, so I guess it is fine.

Gravy
24th June 2006, 2:46 AM
-That battle was far too short and Pukurin-chan was pretty much the only thing that kept it from being a total farce. Honestly, if Harley had managed to KO at least Eevee, I'd have been much happier with the way things turned out. The guy isn't a weak battler, that's been made clear on numerous occassions already.
I can buy that 'Shadow Ball gained strength from Shadow Ball' thing. But that still doesn't make Noctus-chan, which is more than likely Harley's strongest competitor, getting pretty much KO'd right off the bat satisfying at all.
Though I must say, Haruka's strategy of disorientating Pukurin-chan's manuevering capabilities was actually a pretty decent way to get hold of the advantage. Though Munchlax using Eevee's DELICATE FLUFFY TAIL for bouncing into the air to deliver a powered-up Focus Punch was just plain stupid.

-Pukurin-chan, the incredible inflatable beast that it is, was awesome. That constant evil scowl, the voice, the occassional growls. For a pokémon species I've never paid any attention to before, this one certainly did a brilliant job of catching my eye. I look forward to seeing more of it in the future~

-The music during the final scene of the episode really got my heart pounding. I've heard the Red/Blue wild battle theme a lot of times in this show, but this slightly altered version really got me psyched for next weeks episode. You could just feel the determination and desperation of each character, and the surprisingly brutal looking attacks from the metro side was the cherry on the cake.
For the record, has this piece ever been used before on the show? I think I can recall it being thrown around once or twice.

SuperShadow
24th June 2006, 2:52 AM
Interesting pics. I must say. It was great espeaacially with the Aipom ownage in the episode, can't wait to see it.

Kabuto
24th June 2006, 3:03 AM
The one hit KO on Cacturne didn't even surprise me. May has always pulled this uber crap in almost every contest so why should I even care that a newborn beat an experienced monster (best examples are Dusclops, Houndoom, Marshtomp, and Ariados) . The final hit on Wigglytuff wasn't all that great but it was tolerable compared to most victories.

Geodude
24th June 2006, 3:56 AM
Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 48 episodes since May first got it. It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint?

And all your examples have already been thoroughly discussed. The points were made in their respective episode topics, and they are completely irrelevant to this one. We really don't need to go through that yet again.

May is absolutely no more "uber" than Ash was in Kanto. The repetitiveness of that statement is also getting boring/annoying. Come up with something original for once, people, and quit repeating it at every possible opportunity.

HoennMaster
24th June 2006, 3:58 AM
So what was with Drew then? And what the heck was Absol doing in the first part of the appeal (the shining part)?

CyberCubed
24th June 2006, 4:05 AM
Drew was being strict with his Absol because he said it could have done better. May said something about praising it instead and Drew yells, "I'm not like you!" or so I hear.

Geodude
24th June 2006, 4:10 AM
The shining was Absol using Flash.

The following is subject to confirmation:

I'm not sure, but I think Drew was also saying something about how all his other Pokemon could also have done better leading up to now. From that I would deduce that he expects a match with Saori and strongly desires to beat her, but doesn't think his Pokemon can cut it against hers, and is therefore frustrated.

HoennMaster
24th June 2006, 5:02 AM
Thanks! Wigglytuff is both cool and creppy. I was angry about how easily Cacturne was defeated though.

I know I'm not suppose to talk about this, but what is RespectShipping? Everyone is talking about.

Fizban
24th June 2006, 5:20 AM
Drew was being strict with his Absol because he said it could have done better. May said something about praising it instead and Drew yells, "I'm not like you!" or so I hear."Why did I ever trade my Dunsparce for you?!"

I can't say I approve of his tough-love approach to raising pokemon, but you can't argue with the results. His Roselia is gigantic.

Yamato-san
24th June 2006, 6:37 AM
Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 48 episodes since May first got it. It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint?

And I can accept that (as friggin' cheaply as it managed to get to that point). It still doesn't mean the writers should be glorifying the sack of crap as often as they do and never let it get its a** kicked (without redemption).

May is absolutely no more "uber" than Ash was in Kanto. The repetitiveness of that statement is also getting boring/annoying. Come up with something original for once, people, and quit repeating it at every possible opportunity.

yeah, but don't think you think, having been in her contest gig longer than Satoshi was travelling Kantou the first time, she'd be developed enough for the writers to stop handing her deus exes? Hell, the overall writing for her contest arc throughout Battle Frontier actually seemed worse than it was back in Houen.

But, in spite of what I just said there, I'm not complaining about the Harley battle. I actually found that to be a very believable win.

Cacturne getting knocked out fast is a shame, but it is understandable. It was pretty high up when it was coming in for the Needle Arm attack, so it had no way to really move out of the way when the powerful Focus-Shadow Ball nailed it in the face. The poor little thing wasn't even able to break his fall after getting hit.

May saw that Wigglytuff was able to ride around in the air to avoid attacks, so she had Munchlax and Eevee fire their attacks behind it so they would produce an explosion which would bring it closer down to the ground. Munchlax used Eevee as a launching board to get up to Wigglytuff and deliver a strong Focus Punch right into the fluffball.

If anything about that part of the battle was wrong, it was the Munchlax bouncing off of Eevee. That little brawler weighs a ton.

It was really funny how after all the Shadow Balls/Solar Beams missed they cut to May's life-bar shooting down like mad.

Fizban said it nicely. Noctus may've been a one-hit KO, but not only was it a Shadow Ball propelled by a Focus Punch, you'd have to consider that Noctus was preparing to strike, not guard. I believe during the Lovecus vs. Juptor fiasco, Edward Elric brought up a line in Yu Yu Hakusho in which a character (Yuusuke, I think) stated he would've died from a strike if he didn't tense up his muscles in time. Also, if you're gonna bring the type disadvantage into the picture, then do consider that game-wise, Noctus ain't exactly a defensive Pokemon.

Also to agree with Fizban, the only thing I really found off there was Eievui propelling Gonbe with its tail. If Eievui had gone through some intense training involving the usage of its tail, as with learning to use Iron Tail, I'd probably buy it (but I'm sure nobody would've wanted another Iron Tail-user in the group). BTW, Fizban, I thought I'd bring up one detail you left out. During her commentary, Lilian says "Sasuga Fuusen Pokemon da!" (As expected of a Balloon Pokemon). After repeating "Balloon Pokemon" to herself, that's when Haruka came up with the strategy to have Eievui and Gonbe's attacks collide above Pukurin to produce a current that would send it downwards.

Anyway, it's already been said, but the appeals were much better this time (except Saori's, which is odd because I thought she probably did the best appeal last time... yeah, it was another ice sculpture, but look at what it went against). People who watch the dub, be thankful that PUSA's probably gonna keep in the original music. I do not see Gonbe's appeal working without silence in the background. BTW, I've been saying that some of the Kantou contest battles seemed to be little more than exchanging blows... well, I guess Shuu's f***in' sweet usage of Flash inside of Sandstorm proved to me that the writers still got it.

And everyone's bringing up Pukurin's b*tch-slapping, but personally, I thought it grabbing Gonbe and Eievui with its ears before slamming them was more note-worthy. XD I sure wasn't expecting Pukurin's attack methods to put so much emphasis on the long ears (especially when we saw an earlier Pukurin use Doubleslap with its hands. This is one attack inconsistency we oughta be thankful for). Sure was clever, in any case. Who wants to bet Malik, if he should get his site back up, will portray Pukurin as some male equivalent to a Playboy bunny?

Squirtle_007
24th June 2006, 7:36 AM
OK, saw the episode and here are my thougts:
*I think Shuu´s Absol made the best appeal, then Haruka´s Munchlax, then Saori´s Slowbro and then "Him´s" Octillery
*I simply love to see Munchlax in action
*Too much people are complaining about that Shadow Ball/Focus Punch combo to Cacturne, but nobody says anything about Absol using Iron Tail against Combusken
*With Cacturne fainted, "Him" lost a half of his team, why he didn´t lost THE HALF of his bar?
*That Wigglytuff was rude

NoDot
24th June 2006, 8:14 AM
[Entering Grammar Nazi Mode]
yeah, but don't think you think, having been in her contest gig longer than Satoshi was travelling Kantou the first time, she'd be developed enough for the writers to stop handing her deus exes?"Deus Exes"??? Forgive me, but the plural of "Deus Ex Māchinā" is "Deī Ex Māchinīs". (Deus Ex Machina article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_Machina))

[Exiting Grammar Nazi Mode]

In any case, excellent battle between Haarii and Haluka! Hopefully, we can get another good battle between Shuu and Haluka next week.

KuwabaraTheMan
24th June 2006, 9:14 AM
While Nokutasu went down easy, I liked the overall battle. Haruka used a good strategy to win, and Pukurin was awesome and fitting of Harley. Loved Harley doing his nails earlier in the episode, too.

Liked seeing Satoshi and Takeshi talk to Shuu, and Shuu vs. Haruka has the makings of a great match. It already looked great, and the preview was freaking brutal looking.

And YAY for Wakana!

Jo-Jo
24th June 2006, 1:50 PM
(c&p from Bulbagarden)

*has the shakes* You have no… idea… how hard it was to hold out on spoilers until %^& bittorrent got its arse in gear. But those dark times are behind me now, alleluia. I’m writing this as I watch the episode. :D

Good animation team = happy Drew fangirl.

Absol is pwetty!

HARLEY FILES HIS NAILS. *dead… again… how many times is that man going to kill me?*

Wakana-chan!!! If only they’d showed more of her. I wanted to see her reaction to whatever it is Drew said to Jessie.

Drew’s being even more anti-social than usual. That can’t be good.

Fire Blast? Is there any attack Octan can’t do?

Awww, Octan’s dancing. That’s cute in an… incomprehensible way. Considering how clearly kickass it is, it seems a pity it’s not battling.

Oh yippee, Aipom’s back. >_< I hope Ash isn’t about to prioritise getting his hat back over watching May’s appeal. Come on, he must know by now that the little git’s going to show up a billion more times before TPTB put us out of our misery.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Pikachu Volt Tackled its monkey butt!! Go Ash!

…….Oh sweet Jesus, he’s going to try to capture it. No, Ash, no!

Oh thank God.

Heeeee, I love it when Ash gets brained by flying objects.

Man, Aipom sucks.

HARLEY STICKS OUT HIS PINKY FINGER.

May’s using Munchlax? I was hoping for Eevee.

Oooh, I take it back. That was nifty. Bit short, though.

OH MY GOD DREW’S TRYING TO KILL HIMSELF.

OK, scene over. Drew’s still alive, if cracked. This is one of those bits I nod and smile through until some kind person puts up a translation. Slightly disappointed that the whole group was there instead of just May, though… *beats inner Contestshipper over the head and wrestles her into a box*

When Harley’s onscreen, everything’s better. <3

Lol, it just occurred to me that if this was the Harry Potter fandom, all the anti-Drew fans would be out in force complaining that he’s a Stu because his backstory is currently being “told, not shown”. Although seriously, it would be nice to have more May/Drew one on one scenes instead of her getting everything through the Saori filter. That woman’s beginning to seem like an attractive expositional device.

Ash/Drew/Brock bonding! Squee!

Hey, not many co-ordinators made it through! It only looked like sixteen to me. Good, I was hoping for that. It means if May battles Drew and loses immediately after battling Harley, she won’t move down a place from the last GF.

Awww, Ebil Wigglytuff. How cute.

F*CK OFF, AIPOM.

The annoying thing about contest battles is that every time a Pokémon does anything, in addition to the commentary from the peanut gallery that we always get in gym matches, the judges have to sit around talking about it for half an hour, too. Just fight, already!

Wow, this is the first time in a contest double battle that one Pokémon’s been knocked out before its partner. Poor Cacturne, it didn’t get to do much.

Seriously, if you chopped all the talking out of these matches, they’d be one minute long.

Yey, B*tch Slap attack! How can anyone say Wigglytuff doesn’t suit Harley?

Firing off attacks at random is not a good strategy, May. And how come Solarbeam is charging so quickly?

Hang on… at the start of the battle, Eevee and Munchlax ran full force into Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and they bounced right off. Now, Munchlax Focus Punches Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and it’s a knock out?

Poor Harley-san. Oh well, I have hope that he’ll stick around. Whatever his new plan for this episode was, it seemed to involve Drew, so perhaps he’ll continue with it next ep.

I mean it, Aipom. F*ck. Off.

Woooow, Saori pimp-slapped that guy all over the field.

May VS Drew is happening already? Meep.

Yup, of course she’s using Squirtle. -_- Eh, Absol and/or Flygon are bound to lay the smackdown on it at some point… right?

Oh, like there’s any way May won’t beat Drew if they’re placing the battle NOW. *grumbles*

Holy crap, Combusken!

Animation for the next ep looks even better. :D

ghost master
24th June 2006, 2:04 PM
Hang on… at the start of the battle, Eevee and Munchlax ran full force into Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and they bounced right off. Now, Munchlax Focus Punches Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and it’s a knock out?
Its different becuase May aimed the shadow ball and solar beam at the roof to come things crashing down on wigglytuff so it lost its inflation.

Gravy
24th June 2006, 2:12 PM
Its different becuase May aimed the shadow ball and solar beam at the roof to come things crashing down on wigglytuff so it lost its inflation.
It didn't lose it's inflation. All Haruka did was use the blast from the attacks to force Pukurin-chan downwards. It was still inflated as it plummeted towards the field.

---Kyogre007---
24th June 2006, 3:56 PM
I really loved this episode. Everybody made fantastic appeals. Harley's Wigglytuff is awesome and evil just the way Harley is. Cacturne's faint was kinda cheap. The most interesting question is who's gonna win - May or Drew? I think Drew.

Rizardon
24th June 2006, 4:00 PM
I just watched this episode, i think all has been said about this
episode in a way, but i have some things to ponder about...

- Squirtle,s weird little shockwave, and after that about to use a attack, it might be uber-squirtle learning to use Hydro Pump/Water Pulse?
- Combusken burning redhot, pretty interesting. For god sake writers, let that red/orange fried chicken evolve into Blaziken! Drew has a Absol and a Flygon while May has to put up with Eevee,s and Squirtles. -.-''
- Aipom hitting our favorite mouse with a powerful Iron Tail, Ash' second attempt at catching Aipom? This is it boys, girls and purple monkey haters, Ash must catch that hat-bandit once and for all!

Baby_Biyomon
25th June 2006, 5:27 AM
if Combusken does evolve Drew better kiss his butt goodbye.

CyberCubed
25th June 2006, 5:46 AM
Finally saw the episode myself, it was very enjoyable.

Its clear that there is much better pacing in this GF than the previous one. The appeals were all compact and did not take up a lot of time, (unlike the whole confused Skitty that took like 5 minutes from the Hoenn GF), and they were well done.

Its always nice to have a little character interaction, and the Drew/Absol scene did just that. I like the fact that Drew can magically change from a nice guy to an a-hole on a whim, good god. Too bad I can't understand Japanese, I'd probably enjoy the scenes with Ash/Brock talking to Drew more.

The Ash/Aipom thing was very short also, why do people make a big deal out of this? Far more time was spent on teaching Snorunt how to do Ice beam, the whole Aipom thing was less than a minute.

As for the May/Harley battle, I again don't see the problem. Most of the Contest matches ARE the same length as this. Cacturne may have went down a little too quickly, but they obviously wanted Wigglytuff to take center stage. I LMAO'd when Wiggly knocked Munchlax's and Eevee's heads into one another! Here's hoping Harley sticks around next saga, his battles are always fun to watch.

I also like it that we caught a tiny bit of Drew and Saori's other matches. It reminds us that they're beating other opponents on screen.

I wasn't expecting May/Drew to battle in this episode, but so far so good. Flygon and Absol seem quite unbeatable, so I don't see how May can pull off beating him. At the most, she should be able to take down at least one of his Pokes, (I assume Combusken's Blaze will allow her to do that), but I hope Drew wipes the floor with her after that.

Pretty good episode. Just seems to me like people want to whine just for the hell of it. Ha, I remember how much the Hoenn league and Hoenn GF were bashed too, and despite some rushing, they were fantastic. Sometimes I think the Pokemon fandom likes WHINING about the episodes more than actually enjoying them.

HoennMaster
25th June 2006, 7:11 AM
True, I enjoyed the episode and the battle was great. Wigglytuff is one cool pokemon with Harley and suits him perfectly. I really hope Aipom gets caught next time!

Darkstorm16
25th June 2006, 1:25 PM
Still why does everyone hate Aipom? Snorunt was like that.

Medea
25th June 2006, 2:38 PM
*singing*...akaku nijimu, taiyou wa subete o

Whoa, where the hell did that come from? Um, never mind my weird life and what I listen to when watching the screenshots of very good contest episodes.

I saw this episode last night. As usual, am very disappointed about Harley losing for the...um...4th time to May. Thank the great, good Lord that her baby puke bucket Squirtle was not in that battle. But if that little wretch wins against Drew's pokemon, that thing dies *gets weapon of choice ready* Although, I will say this, Harley's face was just too funny for words when he lost again to May. Next off, Psycho Drew! It didn't seem as bad as the girls in the Drew Club and Contestshipping threads made it out to be. Though I have never seen Drew this way so that's still up for debate. Great to see the little cameos by Ogata and Wakana *chuckles a bit* Another thing, I may hate Aipom now, but when he had Ash's hat and is torturing the crap out of him, was way too funny. Haha Ash! Looks forward to seeing next week's episode and is hoping that it won't be a total Deja Vu trip.

Now if I may continue...

*singing*...motto ima ijou ni, hadaka ni natte

Geodude
25th June 2006, 4:08 PM
Pretty good episode. Just seems to me like people want to whine just for the hell of it. Ha, I remember how much the Hoenn league and Hoenn GF were bashed too, and despite some rushing, they were fantastic. Sometimes I think the Pokemon fandom likes WHINING about the episodes more than actually enjoying them.
Hear, hear. That is so true.

Can we just...not whine? It can't be that hard.

Aldrius
25th June 2006, 10:25 PM
I'll stop whining when Satoshi and Haruka stop pulling Dues ex Machinas to win their matches... EVERY SINGLE TIME. (Okay, not every single time. But alot of times. >_>)

I like Wigglytuff. I was kinda off-put by how cute it was at first, but it looks sortof cool now. As long as he doesn't have anymore cutsie pokemon like it. (No Chancey, Clefairy...) then I'm fine.

I love Harley, though. I like how he acts all "OMG CUTSEYGAY" but you can tell he just HATES stuff like that. He's very multi-layered and interesting. =3 (And then of course there's his whacky antics :P) He's seriously the only reason I keep watching the show.

Pika Hikari KT
25th June 2006, 10:44 PM
Fire Blast? Is there any attack Octan can’t do?
Let me check, nya...it can't learn any Electric attacks, or any other HMs besides the Water ones.:p But you are right--Octillery is one elemental swiss army knife of a Pokémon. I mean, they call it OcTILLERY for a reason!XD

I know lots of people already hate Aipom, but I thought it was adorable in this episode, just sitting on Ash's shoulder enraptured by the battle.
Me too--the main characters' Pokémon are usually better looking, so I'm not that surprised that Aipom was showing a different expression for a change...and a cute one at that!^_^

Geodude
26th June 2006, 4:25 AM
Let me check, nya...it can't learn any Electric attacks
Wrong, Octillery can learn Thunder Wave via breeding.

Anaya
26th June 2006, 6:16 AM
Yea I just think it's cool that May would have a rival! I just don't like him! He is so rude getting into other peoples' bussiness!

Pika Hikari KT
26th June 2006, 6:18 AM
Wrong, Octillery can learn Thunder Wave via breeding.
Well, that makes up for being slow as a Magcargo.:p But I was pretty much saying it can't BoltBeam. It can learn all the other beam attacks though, just not Thunderbolt(or Shock Wave, or Thunder). I mean, it even gets SEISMIC TOSS via Move Tutor. Makes me thing about training one of these underused things.:D

Dark Cacturne
26th June 2006, 1:35 PM
One of the best things was when Wigglytuff jumps and cacturne sneaks from behind to fire an poison sting, following it up with an needle arm! Very Cool!!!

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
27th June 2006, 7:38 PM
I have to side with Geodude and CyberCubed on this. I complain about a lot of things in the animé, but I don't see the bloody problem with Aipom =/ Would you rather it be a Skarmory? Arcanine? Venusaur? Of all the Pokémon they could've chosen, I'm quite happy with Aipom. Everyone here always seems to complain about how undershowcased certain Pokémon are, and now, when we get one of the most shafted Pokémon in history, people are complaining and wishing it would die. Hypocrisy, seriously.

As with most people, the only problem I have with this episode is Eevee using its tail as a springboard. Munchlax just weighs a little too much =/ And they could've waited for Wigglytuff to come closer too, I'd imagine. No need for that ._. Oh well.

And yeah, after being blasted into the air from a powered up attack and falling a great height, I can hardly blame Cacturne for being KO'd. I think I'd probably take more offense to it surviving, tbh. However, I suppose it would've been nice to see Cacturne do a little more in its short time onscreen =/ Oh well.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Geodude
27th June 2006, 10:02 PM
Good point about the fall, I never thought of that. The fall was what caused a good part of the damage when Ash's Grovyle beat Winona's Altaria, same thing here. Those people who are complaining never even took that into consideration.

Jo-Jo
27th June 2006, 10:40 PM
I have to side with Geodude and CyberCubed on this. I complain about a lot of things in the animé, but I don't see the bloody problem with Aipom =/
It's very very very very very very very very very annoying.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
28th June 2006, 4:52 PM
It's very very very very very very very very very annoying.

Expound =/ So it steals Ash's hat. That's not exactly a common occurrence. And as someone said before, it's not like it's detracting from May's/Harley's/Drew's screentime in the GF.

And besides, it's Aipom. The last time Aipom did something of merit was in the third movie, IIRC. It's good to see some underused Pokémon getting some attention, Trozei advertisement or not.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Anyone 4 Buttons?
12th July 2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, Harley is put in his place again! And yes, that was a very mean looking Wigglytuff, but in the end, it still is pink..

Jo-Jo
12th July 2006, 1:18 PM
Expound =/
...Why?

So it steals Ash's hat.
Yup. I find this very very very very very very very annoying.

I think they should have taken out Aipom and replaced its scenes with more Harley. The man got surprisingly little to do this GF given how important he was during the contests.

CyberCubed
13th July 2006, 7:12 PM
I think they should have taken out Aipom and replaced its scenes with more Harley. The man got surprisingly little to do this GF given how important he was during the contests.

Who cares?

There may not even be Contests anymore after this saga anyway.

Jo-Jo
13th July 2006, 7:20 PM
Even more reason for more Harley, then! If this is his last region, they ought to milk the guy for all he's worth, I say.

CyberCubed
13th July 2006, 7:23 PM
They've DONE that. That's why the guy was in three Contests in addition to the Grand Festival.

If this is Drew's final region too, it's quite a shame he got so little to do. He was missing for a huge chunk of the Arcanine episode, he was reduced to watching Contests instead of competing, and only got the Grand Festival where he had a good deal of screentime taken away by Saori, Harley and Aipom. Not to mention his powerhouse going down to Squirtle.

Not the best way to go out, huh?

Jo-Jo
13th July 2006, 7:29 PM
Drew's screentime in the Grand Festival was fine, much more than he got in the Hoenn GF. It was his screentime in the contests that was a bit lacking.

At least Drew and Harley are both getting an extra episode in a few weeks' time. That should provide them with some decent closure if they're leaving, and if they're not... hey, extra episode! :D

WaterDragon trainer
13th December 2006, 1:25 AM
This episode was pretty good. Good to see Flash in the anime. It was hilarious when Aipom taunted Ash again. I felt bad for Absol after Drew yelled at it. It was kind of weird to see Harley with a Wigglytuff. The contest was awesome.

RandomCharizard
13th December 2006, 1:28 AM
Max: I wouldn't want to meet that in a dark alley...
ROFL
This was a good episode...and why do people say Harley's new voice is bad? Its awesome! So is Drew's, thanks to Newbrock. Anyway, I can't wait to see May pwn drew's ***. Onto tomorow where Ash Catches aipom.

9.6/10

Red Ryu
13th December 2006, 1:28 AM
Since the dub of this epsidoe just finished airing time for opinions.

I like how we got to here some of the nice original Background music in this epsidoe quite frequently, more so towards the end of the episode.

Now I'm seriously beginning to like Solidad's(sp) VA, shes got the mature experianced tone that fits here character quite well.

The only hing that somewhat bothered me in this episode was Cacturne(sp) falling down from OHKO. Other than that it was a wonderful episode all around.

RandomCharizard
13th December 2006, 1:36 AM
Max: I wouldn't want to meet that in a dark alley...
ROFL
This was a good episode...and why do people say Harley's new voice is bad? Its awesome! So is Drew's, thanks to Newbrock. Anyway, I can't wait to see May pwn drew's ***. Onto tomorow where Ash Catches aipom.

9.6/10

ShinyManafi
13th December 2006, 1:49 AM
That was a decent episode, with Aipom going at it again with Ash. Drew was alrigit in here, but Harley was so awesome in this episode, lol, and his Wigglytuff, EVIL!

BattleFranky~40
13th December 2006, 2:00 AM
Average episode that is completely outclassed by the next episode.

S.Suikun
13th December 2006, 4:32 AM
"You put your right suckers in, you put your right suckers out..."

That's all that needs to be said about this episode's dub. Seriously.

Darkness Angel
13th December 2006, 4:34 AM
A nice eppy followed by a better one tomorrow

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
13th December 2006, 5:30 AM
Nice episode, I actually really liked this one, and wow who would of thought Drew is "nervous" and "threathen" by May. Woot! Drew was a complete *** in this episode to me, but of course it was settled afterwards. I felt sorry for May when she got yelled at. My favorite part of the episode was when Solidad was talking with May and Max, and same goes with Ash, Drew, and Brock.

The battle with May and Harley was cool, but I wasn't too convinced about Cacturne beating so fast in one hit. The Wigglytuff was awesome, I love it evil. Just love it.

The Grand Festival overall is starting to grab my attention. I can't wait for the outcome of May and Drew's match. The appeals are simply the best I ever seen.

BattleFranky~40
13th December 2006, 6:29 AM

Awesome, m I rite?

Medea
13th December 2006, 10:34 AM
Wow-sers!

-Harley filing his nails. I love total randomness.
-Drew's hatred for the media. I love that as well.
-Drew yelling at Absol, okay that scared me more than the Japanese version. Poor Absol.
-I could have sworn that Drew's voice was cracking right before he called May a wimp, so there are hidden tears that the girls in the Drew club will juste eat up.
-I've said it before and I will damn well say it again. That Wigglytuff of Harley's is a cry for help. He needs something pink and fluffy in his life and I'm not talking about that pink balloon. And that's why Medea wasn't too shocked when she saw Harley in May's clothes.
-Contestshipping...enough said.

And tis all!

Hikozaru390
13th December 2006, 8:15 PM
I think this is an episode where the anime producers decided to consider replacing Pikachu with Aipom for D/P. Look at Aipom's behavior. Besides a wanna-bee Primeape, what other Pokémon does it remind you of? Maybe Pikachu very early on in the series?

And Solidad is probably voiced by Sarah Natchetchony, (definite misspelling...) I just realized that.

BattleFranky~40
13th December 2006, 9:14 PM
I think this is an episode where the anime producers decided to consider replacing Pikachu with Aipom for D/P. Look at Aipom's behavior. Besides a wanna-bee Primeape, what other Pokémon does it remind you of? Maybe Pikachu very early on in the series?

And Solidad is probably voiced by Sarah Natchetchony, (definite misspelling...) I just realized that.

Yeah, I'm sure the writers considered replacing the mascot of Pokemon itself with a grape ape.

Outlawz
14th December 2006, 1:36 AM
I would have like a more in depth battle between Saori and Haruka, they just rushed it.

jolteonjak
14th December 2006, 4:20 AM
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Harley + Wigglytuff was probably the best non-battle part of this Grand Festival. Its so obvious Harley should have one, that you (at least I did) wouldn't even think of it.

This episode (now that I saw it all) continued from the last one with the greatness of this Grand Festival.

Emo Dubbed Drew was a bit out of place here. His facial expression didn't seem to go with what he said. I forget, what was he saying in the original (Chris, Yamato, care to venture a guess)?

CyberCubed
14th December 2006, 4:31 AM
Emo Dubbed Drew was a bit out of place here. His facial expression didn't seem to go with what he said. I forget, what was he saying in the original (Chris, Yamato, care to venture a guess)?

You're talking about the part when he yells at May?

In the Japanese version he just yells, "I'm not like you!" whereas in the dub he says, "I'm not a wimp like you!"

Pretty much the same thing, the dub just makes him sound a bit harsher toward May.

jolteonjak
14th December 2006, 4:51 AM
Wow...NewDrew was a bit off in that scene.

Soul Dew
14th December 2006, 5:13 AM
Did the dub use a lot of the original music? I noticed that the music sounded different from the stuff we usually hear.

Jorah
14th December 2006, 10:22 PM
When Harley sent out Octillary I noticed that the music sounded a bit like the GameBoy - and then I remembered its from the very first episode! I'm sure it is.

I thought that was hilarious.

Aipom's annoying me now, why can't Ash catch him already? Blah, stupid thing.

Cobalt_Latios
14th December 2006, 10:26 PM
This wasnt a bad episode at all. Harley getting owned was pretty funny though espescially his expression. Also, Harley's Wigglytuff is kinda freaky...

I found it strange that when Munchlax punched the solarbeam(or in this case, solar ball) that it produced a sound?? How would that work?

Drew being harsh to his Absol was kinda ouff...

I find it funny how Lilian gave May a tip without it actually being directed to her in any way. Although, i find that the contests tend to ditch the whole "type advantage" clear out the window.

I personnaly hope that for the next episode, May actually remembers that Flygon is a dragon type and tells Squirtle to use Ice Beam. I know it would seem like the obvious choice, but i also think that the writers wont even put that in there(even though May is more experienced by this point, or seeming to be). It's a perfect way to beat Flygon(afterall the last time she battled Drew, she had Skitty with Blizzard, although i doubt she would have remembered type advantages.) and would work quite well for me.

I also just realized this, for the grand festivals, its roughly only three episodes long, whereas the pokemon league's are usually a good seven episodes long. Why so short? Unless of course May does beat Drew and it ends up being a four episode thing, then it wont seem so short(yes three episodes for something like this is short.).

overall pretty good.

8.5/10

~C_L~

Knight_Ram
14th December 2006, 11:19 PM
This episode was great! I loved the way Harley got owned pretty quickly, kind of sad really, because he was pretty funny, his Wigglytuff was pretty scary. (Looked a little sick in my opinion).

The big solar beam bell hit with the focus punch was pretty cool, must have taken May a little time to perfect that move. The octillary using fire blast and dancing in it was OK, kind of a fluke how Harley got through to the second around battles with that lame move. But I cant do anything about it, so it doesn't matter. That Absol using flash, water pulse and razor wind was really well thought out! Made Absol look just as wonderful as most people think and know it is. And the scene with Solidad using her Slowbro was pretty cool! I liked it. And when she told Slowbro to use the water gun attack was cool, cause it looked like a beautiful water fountain.

The scene where Ash and the Aipom and his Pikachu battled was pretty funny, and I'm actually starting to get use to Ash's new voice actor! Lol! But yeah, pretty cool how Pikachu owned Aipom and then Ash trying to catch it with his poke ball and then getting it slammed back into his face was so funny! Hahahaha! I loved it!

Kind of annoyed me on how Ash told Brock and Max that he was trying to catch Aipom, after Brock just said don't tell me. lol But Brock never specifically said what not to tell him so yeah, thats fine. I'm happy Ash is getting that Aipom, its a cool Pokémon!

And that annoying judge, you know... the remarkable guy. SO ANNOYING!! I wonder what his life is like, Hey hows your day going? 'Remarkable!' What the hell else can he say? lol... Now that I think about it... It's actually kind of funny.

But Drew treating his Absol like dirt was sad, but he was just trying to get his point across to it so its OK. And when Drew got angry and put May in her place was pretty scary. Not like Drew what so ever. And with Harley being that sneaky person that he is was cool.

The battle with Harley was a little upsetting, you know, seeing Harley's Cacturn getting owned straight away was not cool! But yeah, I'm just wondering how May never lost any points for missing Wigglytuff, but I guess it was intentional, so I can make an acceptation. But that Wigglytuff was awesome! About time they showed off some fancy moves by a Pokémon that wouldn't look like it would be used in any battle at all. But Harley has shown us all that it is a Pokémon to be reckoned with in Contest battles.

Great episode, 9.2/10!

wobbanut
2nd January 2007, 3:20 AM
I liked the double battle between May and Harley. Even though May was definitely getting her back end handed to her on a stick at first, at least she came through with strategy. I also liked her appeal in the second round, it was really impressive with the solar beam/focus punch combo. Drew was scary when he was getting upset with absol and the twerps, but at least it didn't lead to long-term hurt feelings (Soledad is a GREAT character :) ). I loved all the contestshipping hints in these first two GF episodes, but I felt a shudder go through me at the May/Harley hint. I'm starting to warm up to Harley, mostly because he keeps cracking me up, but I really want a fifty-foot wall between him and May romantically.

I also found it interesting that Aipom was taking an interest in the contest, which makes a lot of sense in retrospect after seeing the pictures for the first contest in Sinnoh. At least I saw this episode long after it aired on CN in the weekdays, so I was able to see the pictures for the Japanese episode first and catch that moment. It was interesting. I also liked the part where Jessie tells Wobbuffet that he's blinding her with his obedience. LOL :)

Overall, 10/10. I know next week is going to be awesome.

Geodude
2nd January 2007, 10:32 PM
And that annoying judge, you know... the remarkable guy. SO ANNOYING!! I wonder what his life is like, Hey hows your day going? 'Remarkable!' What the hell else can he say? lol... Now that I think about it... It's actually kind of funny.
In case anyone else doesn't know, it's the same sort of thing in Japanese. In the Japanese version he always says, "Ya, suki desu ne!" ("I like it!") The rare time he's expressed a negative opinion it's been "Suki ja nai desu ne." ("I don't like it.")

Rebeccag
28th June 2007, 10:51 PM
hehe this episode is good as well in fact i like all the contest episodes
Harley with his Wigglytuff that Wigglytuff is SCARY, Also Drew shouting at Absol I liked as well not the shouting at Absol part but the bit when May and co come up and Solidad is telling Drew the truth and then he gets mad and shouts at May. And then on the beach "Were rivals.... May and I" ^_^
erm what else I liked the appeals in this 1 as well espically Octilary dancing that was funny

Nekagi
23rd October 2008, 10:18 PM
I thought that Absol's performance was adequate. Did anyone feel a little bit bad for Team Rocket when Jessie tried to interview Drew ? And thinking that Absol should be better is NO EXCUSE for him to be PO'ed at poor May.

However, the next day, May did get confident for the next round.

But, if I was yelled at, I'd be shaken for an undetermined amount of time.

Tadashi
26th October 2008, 8:14 PM
Yay Drew! Yay Harley! Boo, another useless Aipom appearance D: Gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose :P

It was also pretty interesting, if not unexpected, to see Ash & Brock talking with Drew... ahhh, male bonding ^_^

That Wigglytuff sure was aggressive o.o So unusual! I loved it! <3

GDE
28th October 2008, 11:00 PM
I ♥ this episode
and I ♥ harley's evil wigglytuff

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 8:16 PM
Ble. I just hate contests and that Harley guy. Not a good episode for me. But I just love May's Eevee.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 12:35 PM
there are alot of contests going on, it was fun to see i must say that, 8/10.

cg_25
24th June 2009, 5:00 AM
Wow, watching this ep, makes it apparent that aipom fell in love with contest VERY early. It's scary watching how organized the writers were to plan something so far ahead.

catzisconfus
13th August 2009, 5:02 PM
Wow, watching this ep, makes it apparent that aipom fell in love with contest VERY early. It's scary watching how organized the writers were to plan something so far ahead.

what does this have to do with planning? :s

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:04 PM
Wow, Drew's Absol was so powerfull, with his great moves.

Finally, May defeated Drew's Flygon. too bad that Squirtle was knock off.

9/10

Lorde
3rd March 2010, 6:48 AM
Awesome so this episode starts off where the last one left off; with Drew's Absol's appeal. I loved that dazzling Flash appeal it made, though Harley didn't seem to like it very much, wonder why. It was cool to see it incorporate Water Pulse to make it a water-based appeal move. All the judges adored it and so did I. It was odd seeing some of the old Coordinators from early Kanto appear watching the Contest like Jeremy and Drew's fangirl. When the appeal was over, Drew seemed so moody that he even shunned Jessie and refused an interview, what a prima donna :[

Loved that Harley appeared with his trusty Octillery again. I was amazed that it used Fire Blast since the move is the exact opposite of Octillery but the contrast seemed to please the crowd and the judges. Aipom stole Ash's hat once more but Pikachu managed to help Ash get it back. Too bad the PokeBall missed and Ash didn't catch Aipom. Soledad and Slowbro's appeal was ok, I really expected more though. I though May's appeal was just awful. It was pretty, but the fact that Munchlax is more of a physical Pokemon made the whole thing drop out of favor for me.

Drew's little temper tantrum sort of showed his darker side. He always seemed so strong and confident but he was obviously taking the Grand Festival seriously. At least Ash tried to talk to him one on one. I think the battle round got a little too repeatitive. This marks the 4th time May and Harley fight each other in a Contest battle. I was surprised May chose two baby Pokemon against Harley's Cacturne and his new creepy Wigglytuff. I though all Wigglytuff were cheerful but his looked evil. After a hard battle, May succeeds only to have to fight Drew in the next round, an interesting turn of events. 10/10 perfect.

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 9:37 AM
Seeing a creepy Wigglytuff was certainly a new sight

Painkiller2001
24th January 2011, 6:13 AM
I hope Ash catches Aipom. That Pokemon is just too cute to let go.

Well, here's hoping that May wins this Grand Festival!

Was I the only one that got a chuckle when Ash said "crazy Pokemon!" after failing to catch Aipom? I don't know why I found that a bit funny...

G50
27th April 2011, 1:44 AM
This episode was cool. Wigglytuff's ability to expand its body and bounce attacks back was really cool to see. Munchlax and Eevee vs Cacturne and Wigglytuff was a very cool battle. It was interesting to see Ash fail to catch Aipom in this episode after trying to catch it. Absol's 2nd appeal was so cool. It was cool to see Munchlax used in the 2nd appeal. Wigglytuff is 1 tough-looking Pokemon, especially with that odd look on its face. It was odd to see Wigglytuff lose its balance, and May taking advantage of it. Interesting how Eevee knocked out Cacturne with Shadow Ball.

80/100

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:46 AM
nice episode, Wigglytuff looks kinda creepy with those eyes xD i really like it =D

Vernikova
26th September 2012, 6:26 PM
P. cool Wigglytuff. It's too bad that they're rushing through the entire Grand Festival but the writers make bad decisions anyway so I suppose it isn't surprising.

PokemontrainerY
29th July 2013, 4:18 AM
Meh, This episode was not so good. Only good parts in this episode were when Aipom stole Ash's hat and he's trying to get it back.
Other than that, it's just Drew throwing a fit which annoyed me. May and Harley's battle was good though.