PDA

View Full Version : Reign of the Latis (Action/Adventure PG-13)

Xiang
25th June 2006, 6:07 PM
Uh hi. New fanfiction I wrote- probably my tenth one. And not very likely to finish. I have a short attention span :p Anyways, it has to do with the two Latis. Action, Adventure, and maybe some Romance. Not a whole hell of description, I find that that stuff takes years to read x.x Enjoy!
---
Prologue

Crap, I thought. I hate it when this happens. I sat in the dark, damp alley, huddling in the shadows of the two stone walls behind some random dead bush that tried to grow there. What happened to that giant rock that sat there? I glared at the metal fence next to me- the only thing keeping me from a nice escape, but noooo, someone just had to stick that there too.

I heard footsteps against the wet cement of the sidewalk beating closer to my hiding spot. I felt my clothes getting smelly and moist as I pressed closer to the dirty alley wall. My body was sweating tremendously as the big shadow stretched farther into the alley. The sun twitched in its position as I saw the shadows shift a bit. I remained still except for my eyes- they panned across the alley like a video camera, and they picked up in fear the figure of my worst enemy.

"Michiyo?" the voice growled. Her threatening tone echoed gently off the walls. I flinched slightly. Her dark eyes narrowed- she knew I was here.

Okay, while I'm cowering there and nearly losing my noodles, obviously, I'm Michiyo. Never was a favorite name- but anyway, I'm twelve. That's all you need to know about me. This person, Kagura, is Alto Mare's hidden bully. On the outside she's sweet and cute, always a favorite for the teachers, but if you run into her personally (and alone) she'll narrow those creepy, dark eyes and snarl "you're (whatever your name is), aren't you?" And then that's where your life starts to change.

You see, in Alto Mare, we row our boats down the street. Yes, our streets are pathways of fresh water. Either you have your own boat or you pay a fair price for a ride in a Fune boat. They carry lots of people. The ones with yellow paint are the ones who operate for people going to school.

That's pretty much an opening for bad things to happen. Kagura loves to push her classmates off the street into the water- one got sent to the hospital in an emergency speedboat because she broke her neck when she fell. I was horrified- Kagura wasn't even sorry that it was her sister. She can do more, but I have a feeling I don't want to live in horror of thinking of them.

Either way, Kagura disappeared from the alley opening, just like that. I remembered that I was on the way home from school since the person who worked the Fune was sick today, so no one could get a ride. If I didn't get home soon enough, I'd be in big trouble. My body could move again, and I ran towards the light of the town outside that horrible alley, but as I met the street, a flash colored like flesh, black, and red (in other words, the athletic Kagura) sped towards me and knocked me over swiftly. I prepared to hit the hard pavement, but I realized I was still falling. I glanced below me in utter horror as I realized I was falling into the street- the muddy part. Kagura's burning smirk cut through me as I hit the muddy water of the street with a splash.

Why does she have to do this to me? I thought as I tried to surface. I was on the verge of tears. My humiliation didn't end yet. It was as if getting mud in my clothes and hair was enough, but Kenji had witnessed everything.

Kenji-kun was like seeing the most beautiful thing in the world. His green eyes were shone and glimmered like the sun and the river. His smile struck you like lightning. His hair was soft and a warm brown... but his voice made you melt like chocolate. Never before did I hear a more beautiful voice than his... he was the harmony and the melody of a music piece. You wanted it to sing forever in your ears.

At least from my point of view... I was hopelessly in love with him. But his eyes were indifferent as they scanned my muddy appearance. I felt like I was turned to stone. Kagura squealed. "Oh my gosh, Michiyo, are you okay?" she said with a evil twinkle in her eye. Kenji walked away without looking back, and Kagura snickered as she looked down at me. Ooh, I just hated her and that red jacket.

There goes my day.
~Later~

I stared in the mirror at my red hair and yellow eyes. I tried to smile even though I was really unhappy, but my grin disappeared quickly. I was not very attractive. My eyes weren't all that big. I wasn't cute or pretty or anything. Kenji would never even think about a girl like me. These thoughts haunted me everyday, forming their own jeering rhythm. My red hair couldn't compare to Kagura's powerful black color either.

I stepped into the shower and let the water hit my back over and over. More and more rained down on me like my unhappiness, which will probably never be cleansed away by a mere shower. I reached for the soap. I needed to take a walk.
~Later~

The air was still in the colorful light of a summer sunset as a crow cawed, all alone in the sky. I looked at its black wings and wondered... was I like that bird? Free but lonely and lost? The crow wasn't beautiful, but I gazed at the glow of its feathers and smiled. It was trying to be beautiful in its own way, I guess. Beautiful as it wandered to find its own place in the world.

My sandals made a branch on the ground snap helplessly into two splintered pieces, and I felt a presence of another person disappear as the twig crackled. My heartbeat reached my ears through how nervous I was as I silently crept around the corner of the street. I poked my head out to look for any people, but the street was empty. My heartbeat's volume faded back to normal as a girl with a basket of breads walked past me. She was doing her evening deliveries. There was nothing to worry about for now.

"Evening," she said to me. Then she bowed her head a little and ran off.

"See you, Haruko!"

I don't know much about her, but she's quiet and keeps to herself. Still, she's polite and stuff so I don't have any reason to think anything negative about her. But that blue hair and those red eyes were different... and familiar. I removed two coins from my pocket. Maybe I could buy a bit of that bread on my walk and talk to her a little. I chased after her; only after a while did I realize how unusually fast she was going. I ran faster, and she glanced at me, looking above her shoulder. Those strange red eyes widened and she looked back ahead.

"Wait! Haruko! I just wanted to talk to you!"

It didn't help, so she ran into an alley. I recognized it as the alley I hid in earlier this day. She turned around and glared at me.

"What do you want?" she said quietly. "I have my job to do."

"I don't mean to bother you," I tried to reason. I held out two coins. "One loaf, please?"

She took the basket back protectively. "I'm sorry, but these are to go elsewhere."

My face fell. "Oh okay, sorry to bother you."

She waited.

"What?"

"Please leave."

"Huh? Maybe we could just have a little chat while you go around the town to deliver the bread to the whosits?" I proposed, a little confused.

"Leave," she ordered more firmly. She stepped forward, as if to challenge me, but instead she slipped on the slippery and wet cobblestone floor and fell back.

"Careful!" I yelled, but it was too late. Her body was headed straight for the metal gate. I closed my eyes and squeezed out tears as I waited for her body to bang against the gate and fall to the floor, unconscious. I waited in agony and suspense, but I didn't hear anything except a little swish noise, so I opened my eyes.

She disappeared.
---
Consider that fact that I am not a pro and I am not trying to be. I'm merely writing because I feel that it is a hobby of mine, and occasionally I wish to share to see what people think.

What do you think?

shadowlight
25th June 2006, 6:23 PM
I liked it
It's an interesting prologue

~*Nobody*~
25th June 2006, 9:27 PM
I miss read the title in the PM you sent me sorry! Anyway:
Good start. Very interesting. I'll keep my eye on this.

Xiang
25th June 2006, 9:30 PM
Thank you both! I'm glad you like it.

I'll have the next chapter up soon, once I get the time again. ^_^

DanK84
25th June 2006, 11:52 PM
Hey there Hinata! (Hope you don't mind me calling you that) This is very interesting so far and is a great start. I have a hunch where you got some of those character's names from, but it could be just a coincidence. Anyway, I'll be sure to check back often, this fic has great potential.

Xiang
26th June 2006, 12:22 AM
Where did you think I got the names from? I'm curious :3

Thanks for the review! I'm glad I don't aways have to get elaborate ones...

DanK84
26th June 2006, 12:53 AM
Well, I saw a Fruits Basket poll somewhere and I'm pretty sure I saw some of these names on there. :)

Xiang
26th June 2006, 1:23 AM
Kagura is the only one I recognize from Fruits Basket...

Kenji was Tracey's Japanese if I remember correctly...
Haruko- Haru (spring)+-ko(suffix meaning child of for female names)
Michiyo- off several Japanese name sites

But there's more to come ^_^

DanK84
26th June 2006, 1:28 AM
Yeah, on the poll I saw Kagura was the only one, the rest I guess I was just halusinating (sp?). Good luck on your next chapter!