PDA

View Full Version : TotalPokemon.com

RevoBlaze
25th June 2006, 11:57 PM
I have been forgetting to showcase TotalPokemon (http://totalpokemon.com) here, so I thought this would be a good time to do so.

We are about a month old, we average close to 1,000 hits a day according to our CPanel hit loggers. We plan on unveiling a totally reformed version of TP by the end of June.

We offer Episode Guide Audios, Episode Guides (Latest In Japan), Episode Previews, among many other innovative features. We also boast one of the (if not largest) Pokemon Image Gallery.

So check us out at: http://totalpokemon.com

blueguy
26th June 2006, 1:58 AM
First off... the accent on the 'e' is very important, to me at least. Pokémon isn't Pokémon without it. Your logo says "POKEMON". That's something I would fix. As for your content, you can pretty much get it anywhere else, and more completely and fully detailed too.

RevoBlaze
26th June 2006, 5:29 AM
1. I would be amazed where else you could get our episode guides, seeing no one else has them at the time we do.
2. The majority of our content isn't even online yet. We are saving it for our v2 unveiling this Friday (June 30th).
3. It is *one* banner, that I think would not even look good with the accented e. It doesn't mean it isn't "Pokemon" just because there is none.
4. Of course you can find our content anywhere else. Oh wait.... We are the only site WITH content on Pokemon PC Master, I totally forgot ^_^,,

Not to mention who else has Episode Guide Audios'? No One :P

FlareonJupiter
26th June 2006, 1:20 PM
Not bad, let's just hope the Episode pictures are updated -- they are of very good quality (I'm a manga artist who always looks for pics to use as drawing references)! And I agree with blueguy -- it should be "Pokémon". Easy to Copy from here or any word-processing program and Paste into whatever image-editing software you use, as well as onto the site. Makes more sense.

Shift
26th June 2006, 2:33 PM
Very impressive. I especially like the OP and ED Mp3s you've got.

RevoBlaze
27th June 2006, 1:23 AM
Thank you Shift :)

Flareon, we will be updating the episode pictures as you can see we have one of the biggest (if not biggest) around.

I know you can spell Pokemon with the accented e almost anywhere, but we simply did not like how it looked nor does it honestly matter.

I worry more about the news in itself and that we are updated and have anything a pokemon fan would need. That is what is important, not being 100% accurate with an accented e that honestly does not make a true difference.

FlareonJupiter
27th June 2006, 10:15 PM
Thank you Shift :)

Flareon, we will be updating the episode pictures as you can see we have one of the biggest (if not biggest) around.

I know you can spell Pokemon with the accented e almost anywhere, but we simply did not like how it looked nor does it honestly matter.

I worry more about the news in itself and that we are updated and have anything a pokemon fan would need. That is what is important, not being 100% accurate with an accented e that honestly does not make a true difference.

That's good -- and I REALLY like that you have pics from all of the Openings/Endings (Japanese AND American) to date. *Hugs*

Serebii
27th June 2006, 10:28 PM

Tony, you know better than to say that...we have loads more :p

Cipher 2008
27th June 2006, 10:33 PM
3. It is *one* banner, that I think would not even look good with the accented e. It doesn't mean it isn't "Pokemon" just because there is none. Pokémon without the é is like speaking French in a strong Yorkshire accent. It doesn't go. It needs to be fixed.

King Shuckle
27th June 2006, 10:43 PM
Pretty cool site. I like episode pictures and I hope you update the games section soon.

Fiery Blaziken
27th June 2006, 10:56 PM
The Pokedex doesn't work for me, it only shows 252-274. And I like the episode pics, good quality. Can't wait till you get more of the games sections.

Tony, you know better than to say that...we have loads more :p
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Joe, always mistaking quanity for quality... :(

Pokémon without the é is like speaking French in a strong Yorkshire accent. It doesn't go. It needs to be fixed.
Is it really such a big deal? :rolleyes:

Pokemon
^omg no "é"! wut do we do?!?!?!

Athrozeous
28th June 2006, 9:18 AM
I think RevoBazle is right a little é wont hurt... oh sorry thats RevoBlaze... a/w Pokémon without the é just isnt right... and besides if your site cant please your visitors with an insignificant é i think its worthless, after all your doing a website for the people, otherwise it wouldnt be on the internet. One thing that really sucks are the colors in the pokédex, the ones where it says Emerald, Ruby, Silver Blah Blah, are ugly!! and ruby is more of a maroon color thing, you should change that, and quick, the info there is quite the same as the one you find in some other sites (say... serebii?) so nothing to be happy or mad at. Oh and there is no link to go back to the main page... had to press the back button multiple times -.-

Ok now lets go to the gallery.. i think its great, the quality is just too good. i personally didnt like the whole table set up, having the four names there looks kind of bulky... you should use some padding to make the text and the cell not touch, or even better you could take the borders off so it looks more natural... i haven't seen the whole page yet *promise i will* but its going somewhere :D i hope i get to see more in the future!

P.S who chose the colors of the page? they look boring -.- i hope you get themes or get a designer... oh yeah one last thing... the banner! i really liked ash and the pikachus BUT the quality looks really down, and it IS on the main page, it IS the main banner and IT should be one of your main concerns try to make it better... :D

Don't hate me just trying to help... -.- its called constructive criticism, you've got good content but it suffers alot from the layout

Chaotic Houndoom
28th June 2006, 9:20 AM
Wow, that site is amazing. o_o; That's all I have to say.

RevoBlaze
28th June 2006, 1:15 PM
I think RevoBazle is right a little é wont hurt... oh sorry thats RevoBlaze... a/w Pokémon without the é just isnt right... and besides if your site cant please your visitors with an insignificant é i think its worthless, after all your doing a website for the people, otherwise it wouldnt be on the internet. One thing that really sucks are the colors in the pokédex, the ones where it says Emerald, Ruby, Silver Blah Blah, are ugly!! and ruby is more of a maroon color thing, you should change that, and quick, the info there is quite the same as the one you find in some other sites (say... serebii?) so nothing to be happy or mad at. Oh and there is no link to go back to the main page... had to press the back button multiple times -.-

Ok now lets go to the gallery.. i think its great, the quality is just too good. i personally didnt like the whole table set up, having the four names there looks kind of bulky... you should use some padding to make the text and the cell not touch, or even better you could take the borders off so it looks more natural... i haven't seen the whole page yet *promise i will* but its going somewhere :D i hope i get to see more in the future!

P.S who chose the colors of the page? they look boring -.- i hope you get themes or get a designer... oh yeah one last thing... the banner! i really liked ash and the pikachus BUT the quality looks really down, and it IS on the main page, it IS the main banner and IT should be one of your main concerns try to make it better... :D

Don't hate me just trying to help... -.- its called constructive criticism, you've got good content but it suffers alot from the layout

1. I said you don't always need the accented e, Pokemon is Pokémon whether is has the "é" or not. Also people need to take into consideration that when our RSS feed is produced the accented e screws it up. And obviously our site isn't worthless, seeing as we have been having a steady increase of hits ^_^

2. I totally agree with you about the PokeDex, to a degree. First off, the content of course can be found almost anywhere else. Ruby/Sapphire came out a few years ago. TotalPokémon wants to focus on the future, because that is what matters to the *new* generation of Pokemon lovers soon to be upon on the internet.

3. The gallery is quite a nice achievement =] my co owner BGT has been working VERY hard on it, and I think it shows. Once we unveil TotalPokémon v.2, I think you will be very surpised and happy with the changes that were made.

4. How are the color of the pages boring? I absolutely love that layout, though it is indeed not a layout I could keep on forever like some sites do (say.... serebii? :P). I don't see what is wrong with the quality of the banner? I mean your the first person that has looked down upon it due to "quality". I come layouts on my previous sites being a metalic and shiny to something more laid back.

Anyways, that you for your insight. TotalPokémon strives to make changes, and hear collected criticisms that can help us become better. We hope you reevaluate this site come July, when we will be unvieling our new style which we have been working on for over a month.

Athrozeous
28th June 2006, 7:23 PM
And obviously our site isn't worthless, seeing as we have been having a steady increase of hits
See thats not what i meant... The true meaning of a website is to provide as much as the viewers need, otherwise it would be worthless. Its something like having a book without letters... And its been 4>3 who said that Pokémon needs a é just imagine tomorrow it could be 1000>999 and one little person can make a difference... a/w this has nothing to do with the RSS since its actually an image... but w/e *sighs*

And dont get to obsessed about your page getting thousands of hits, since the owner of the page really makes most of them and you are actually 5 people who can increase it alot by refreshing, anytime you need to change something or what have you.

How are the color of the pages boring? ... I don't see what is wrong with the quality of the banner?
Well first the pale yellow and weird green color look very "retro". I myself dont like pastels color, they look dull, but i guess its a thing of personal opinion, A/w i wasn't really talking about those colors or the layout you have in the main page, but when you go to the pokedex, it changes colors, and webpages need to have consistent colors otherwise the layout would be ruined, some exceptions are having different sections with different colors but this is not the case. And the banner well first of all the colors are really saturated (talking about the Pikachus with Ash, everything else is ok), i think you could work with that...

So far i found a spelling mistake its on Anime>Character Bios:
To view additional bios data, click on the corrosponding image
I wouldnt really care about it, but when a 10 year old sends you an e-mail saying you misspelled something, you know its embarrassing...

You have some linking problems in the pokenav... once you choose a location you have to go back to the main section to check another one, the pop up menu takes you to an error page... and last you shouldn't just make the images smaller like in here (http://www.totalpokemon.com/movie/4) because that little image alone is 150kb, instead shrink it on a Image Editing program that way the size would be much less, and you wouldnt have that jagged image...

Ok that was a lot... *.* im not going to say you have great content because you know it. I love the intros, the mp3 files, the images... Hope you take all this in consideration otherwise it would just be a loss of my time.. :p

P.S The Valid HTML you have on the bottom states that you failed the Validation with over 100 errors, i suggest you take that link away, if not you would have lots of work to do. Besides CSS is your main concern nowadays so just make the link disappear ;)

Fiery Blaziken
28th June 2006, 8:07 PM
Yes, because a missing accent mark on the internets is the end of the world. D:

RevoBlaze
28th June 2006, 8:36 PM
See thats not what i meant... The true meaning of a website is to provide as much as the viewers need, otherwise it would be worthless. Its something like having a book without letters... And its been 4>3 who said that Pokémon needs a é just imagine tomorrow it could be 1000>999 and one little person can make a difference... a/w this has nothing to do with the RSS since its actually an image... but w/e *sighs*

And dont get to obsessed about your page getting thousands of hits, since the owner of the page really makes most of them and you are actually 5 people who can increase it alot by refreshing, anytime you need to change something or what have you.

Well first the pale yellow and weird green color look very "retro". I myself dont like pastels color, they look dull, but i guess its a thing of personal opinion, A/w i wasn't really talking about those colors or the layout you have in the main page, but when you go to the pokedex, it changes colors, and webpages need to have consistent colors otherwise the layout would be ruined, some exceptions are having different sections with different colors but this is not the case. And the banner well first of all the colors are really saturated (talking about the Pikachus with Ash, everything else is ok), i think you could work with that...

So far i found a spelling mistake its on Anime>Character Bios:
To view additional bios data, click on the corrosponding image
I wouldnt really care about it, but when a 10 year old sends you an e-mail saying you misspelled something, you know its embarrassing...

You have some linking problems in the pokenav... once you choose a location you have to go back to the main section to check another one, the pop up menu takes you to an error page... and last you shouldn't just make the images smaller like in here (http://www.totalpokemon.com/movie/4) because that little image alone is 150kb, instead shrink it on a Image Editing program that way the size would be much less, and you wouldnt have that jagged image...

Ok that was a lot... *.* im not going to say you have great content because you know it. I love the intros, the mp3 files, the images... Hope you take all this in consideration otherwise it would just be a loss of my time.. :p

P.S The Valid HTML you have on the bottom states that you failed the Validation with over 100 errors, i suggest you take that link away, if not you would have lots of work to do. Besides CSS is your main concern nowadays so just make the link disappear ;)

1. LOL, first off buddy we only have 2 owners with the other one being more of a symbolic owner. And the rest of the staff just makes episode guide narrations, not to mention I stated a steady increase in UNIQUE hits. Honestly, who EVEN thinks about that happening? That is more work to do that than to get get real people, and something I will never nor have ever done.

2. It is a freaking *image*, and like I stated before (if you would have taken the time to read all the posts) that it didn't look correctly as a capital accented e. It doesn't change nothing, and it appears the only one fussing about this is just a small secular group. Though we will have that accented e in our new unveiling because I don't feel like hearing people complain in here.

3. Do you like skip my posts or something? I told you we will be switching our layout within the next week, so there is no need to go even more into why you "don't" like the layout. Also you didn't appear to read my post on our PokeDex, where I stated we have put it on hold due to Diamond/Pearl arriving soon.

4. You can find a few errors in our site, that being one of them. It is fixed in our new design which is coming out next week. Not to mention these are posts not "emails", and frankly I am not embarrassed one bit.

5. PokeNav is on hiatus at this current time, although it was only just started we felt that we should hold it off to cover the Shinou Region. That way we give our viewers content new and fresh, and something found on every other Pokemon site known to man.

6. We already know about the whole verfication thing, and just decided to leave it there until we switch layouts. Our new design will fix these issues, and will allow us to *finally* be fully complient.

7. Thank you for your second critque, TotalPokemon values what you say even if we do not fully agree with everything you say. I urge you rereview the Staff page, because we are nowhere near 5 Owners. Also, every site has helpers and at times Co Owners/Webmasters. PPN, Serebii, PE2k, TPN, etc

8. Thanks Fiery Blaziken for your warm words about Total Pokemon Networks :)

Athrozeous
29th June 2006, 2:54 AM
Not to mention these are posts not "emails", and frankly I am not embarrassed one bit.
Agh! Lol... i know this are posts xD I was talking about the... wait you dont have it, a/w on most if not 99.99 of the Web pages theres always a link at the bottom saying something like "webmaster" or "designer" or "contact us" which is actually an e-mail link so that people can say: "Hey your page suxs!" or "'tis is t3h p@g3!!" or weird stuff of that matter. It is convinient to have one so that people who find broken links can contact you, or a misspelled word can be changed. Im not 10 years old nor somewhere near it... -.- Last yes i read every single POST (not e-mail) there is in this thread...

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th July 2006, 3:34 PM
I like the layout, and the gallery is okay (except a little annoying to navigate through especially for 56k users, and some of the game pages are all pics with little info...I'm looking at the D/P Page.

Also, the little sidebar in a episode guide page (such as the Slaking episode) is the same as Bulbapedia's, like you copied and pasted and added a part with the Pokemon.....now, unless you got permission.

Third, your not the only site with Pokemon Typing Master "coverage", you apparently neglect PE2K and PPN.

Finnaly, your site seems like a hodgepodge of everyother Pokemon site, and your just trying to outdo Serebii and not caring about the other great Pokemon sites out their.

EDIT: And what are Episode Guide Audios?

And your Base Set scans look awfully alot like Serebii's.....

Aand another weird thing, your page for Pokemon Trading Card Game for the GBC, looks awfully like you translated a foreign site with a translator and pasted it as your own............

Those players who had never tried the card game in the real life will find in GameBoy version an excellent one pass-the-pass. For those players who had still not got used to the style in the game, Nintendo gives you the chance to test its abilities and find in the GameBoy the chance to practise before starting a battle real.

RevoBlaze
4th July 2006, 5:39 PM
I like the layout, and the gallery is okay (except a little annoying to navigate through especially for 56k users, and some of the game pages are all pics with little info...I'm looking at the D/P Page.

Also, the little sidebar in a episode guide page (such as the Slaking episode) is the same as Bulbapedia's, like you copied and pasted and added a part with the Pokemon.....now, unless you got permission.

Third, your not the only site with Pokemon Typing Master "coverage", you apparently neglect PE2K and PPN.

Finnaly, your site seems like a hodgepodge of everyother Pokemon site, and your just trying to outdo Serebii and not caring about the other great Pokemon sites out their.

EDIT: And what are Episode Guide Audios?

And your Base Set scans look awfully alot like Serebii's.....

Aand another weird thing, your page for Pokemon Trading Card Game for the GBC, looks awfully like you translated a foreign site with a translator and pasted it as your own............

1. I Like the layout too :p
2. You are not going to find much new thorough content, we are saving alot of ours for our v2 release next week.
3. I don't see how we copied a sidebar that was used on my Co Webmaster previous site which he used over a YEAR ago. There is obviously some mistake.
4. I said we were the only one with content, which at the time was writing was the case. We were never hoping to be the only one, infact I have been pushing for more sites to carry Pokemon PC Master content
5. Lol how are we a hodgepodge? We are not trying to outdo anyone, all we care about is giving people what they want. We get nothing out of running this site, unlike sites (including Serebii) we recieve no income from ads. We pay for things, asking nothing in return.
6. Episode Guide Audios are the latest Episode Guides (ones not even found on the rest of the net mind you) that are voiced. We have it downloadable so you can port them on any CD or iPod so you can listen to them ANYWHERE :)
7. .....They are the same cards lol, they don't make special "different" ones :p However no Serebii is the last place we would be caught stealing content from, because I personally would never hear the end of it from Joe.
8. I did not write the TCG Video Game content, I will not to ask my Co Webmaster on that. However be sure we are not going to splash on some content from a international site.
9. TotalPokemon isn't really at full capacity yet. Although we are one of (if not) leaders in the Anime dept, considering we are the first to release episode guides we still have a lot to do. We decided early on to focus on future content, because honestly how many viewers are still looking for Ruby/Sapphire content?

Also since I have a feeling this will be brought up, PPN and PocketMonsters used our guides on a leased basis so no we are indeed the one place to find new ones.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th July 2006, 5:42 PM
Well...your guides are on #PM also, but the author is the one who did it on your site as well.

I owe you an apology, I am sorry.

Serebii
4th July 2006, 10:58 PM
5. Lol how are we a hodgepodge? We are not trying to outdo anyone, all we care about is giving people what they want. We get nothing out of running this site, unlike sites (including Serebii) we recieve no income from ads. We pay for things, asking nothing in return.

You try to run a site as big as mine, costing you loads each month and several thousand dollars each year without using ad banners. Use your brain. When/If your site gets popular, you will have to change your beliefs in this regard

I don't ask for anything in return, but we need money to pay for the servers. Asking would be asking for donations, adding restricted content that's to be paid for and so on

RevoBlaze
5th July 2006, 12:14 AM
You try to run a site as big as mine, costing you loads each month and several thousand dollars each year without using ad banners. Use your brain. When/If your site gets popular, you will have to change your beliefs in this regard

I don't ask for anything in return, but we need money to pay for the servers. Asking would be asking for donations, adding restricted content that's to be paid for and so on

o_O Any reason why you got so defensive? I was merely pointing out a fact, not saying that you were greedy or anything.

I am just simply saying we are making a site for the fans, and if we get big so what. This is just a hobby, and even if we do ever reach Serebii size level will not be my career.

Serebii
5th July 2006, 9:47 AM
And you're saying this is my career? No, it's a hobby...you have to pay for hobbies and you were implying by trhe tone of your statement that I am greedy and asking for money just by having one ad that supports the damn server.

I make my site for fans, not for myself and I have no clue where you could get the idea otherwise

RevoBlaze
5th July 2006, 10:02 AM
And you're saying this is my career? No, it's a hobby...you have to pay for hobbies and you were implying by trhe tone of your statement that I am greedy and asking for money just by having one ad that supports the damn server.

I make my site for fans, not for myself and I have no clue where you could get the idea otherwise

I thought you said it was on IRC o_O

Lol no my tone of speech is not implying you are "greedy", I was just trying to state on how much we care for our hobby, and that we do it purely for the love of it and not for potential ad revenue.

Serebii
5th July 2006, 10:21 AM
Oh and I don't. You know that nobody starts a site for ad revenue and runs it for that as less than 0.01% of sites get successful enough to get anything decent.

I also never said my site was my career, but it has led me on to a possible career; multimedia journalism

Cipher 2008
5th July 2006, 2:06 PM
I agree with Serebii concerning the payment issues...my site's only small, but I have set up everything I will need when I have to start paying hefty fees.

End of, RevoBlaze, is that you will sooner or later need to start having banner ads to pay for the site. Otherwise, it'll just...go. Simple as.

RevoBlaze
5th July 2006, 5:39 PM
*blue*, that was offtopic SPAM.

Double Dash, are you kidding me honestly. My site isn't going to disapear just like "that". TotalPokemon doesn't need ads to generate revenue in the future, I have already came up with an alternative.

Serebii
5th July 2006, 9:31 PM
And what would that be? Begging People?

Without ads you'll constantly be at a loss and free hosting only goes so far

ßubba
5th July 2006, 9:59 PM
My god. Blaze is just showing you all his site and you jump on him like he is meat and you all are a pack of dogs.

pepsa
5th July 2006, 10:19 PM
The Episode narration is really cool! who Narrated that, and who's voice is that?

Samayowa
6th July 2006, 1:46 AM
Cool site. I joined.

RevoBlaze
6th July 2006, 3:34 AM
And what would that be? Begging People?

Without ads you'll constantly be at a loss and free hosting only goes so far

Lmao you seriously are one of the most clost minded people I know. I don't need to beg people for money nor put ads on my site to generate revenue. I just know how to be innovative and find new ways to generate revenue without being intruding.

Also, thanks to the next two people after Serebii who such nice things :) TotalPokemon appreciates it :D

Serebii
6th July 2006, 4:31 PM
The fact is there are only three ways to get revenue.

Ads
Begging
Restricted Sections

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th July 2006, 4:33 PM
And restricted sections turn people off usually, especially if they don't have anything that special *coughepisodescough*....

Fiery Blaziken
6th July 2006, 6:13 PM

Ads
Begging
Restricted Sections
Joe, is it really such a big deal about how his site generates revenue? ._.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th July 2006, 9:10 PM
I like the new layout Revoblade, yet I am sad the Pocketradio is gone, that was the best part....

Magma Leader Maxie
11th July 2006, 10:15 AM
You said your site will get more unique content in the near future, right? Well I doubt all of your visitors know that. With a half-finished Pokedex, I seem to be left with the feeling that people are going to consider your site another of those "cool banner and great site, but let's go to Serebii all the same" sites.

In my opinion, Serebii.net's pokedex is the global resource for in-game information and Smogon.com's is for battle strategies and movesets. Any other Pokedex (with exceptions, there are other great Pokedexes) is a waste of perfectly good server space. No one is going to go to visit one of those alternate sites with a semi-memorable URL and find info in an "under construction" Pokedex. I know I didn't. So why must you go for a site Pokedex on your site when the competition is strong when it comes to these things (episode guides, game walkthroughs, etc). There is a 8192 to one chance that the best Pokedex you can come up with after tonnes of work will be used simply out of the visitor's curiosity.

The other things you offer are of good quality and are pretty unique; these are the things that I want to visit your site for.

Ads
Begging
Restricted Sections
You forgot brute-forcing your way into other people's PayPal accounts :). I'm joking, of course. (for the more naive people reading this)

☼Latias☼
11th July 2006, 3:50 PM
Homepage scks, it needs improvement

Virtual Headache
11th July 2006, 6:03 PM
What about giviing a reason when making a comment like that?
Which kind of improvement does it need?
Why does it suck?
Do you even know what you are talking about?

@Topic. Well, TP is doing fine?
I can understand why :)

Fiery Blaziken
11th July 2006, 6:52 PM
lol, reason?

Nightwing
11th July 2006, 8:36 PM
I think that the Homepage is great not a lot of people are talented like him.

RevoBlaze
12th July 2006, 7:40 AM
1. I don't see how TotalPokemon, is only a "half memorable" name :p
2. The reason our PokeDex isn't complete is because with Diamond/Pearl coming out in September, we are wasting our time adding a section only to have to redo it.
3. I think once Diamond/Pearl DO come out, you will be very happy with what our Dex looks like. But your going to need to wait and see :p
4. Wow nice comment "your homepage scks", well evidently you have no common sense.
5. We are soon to allow users to pick between our v1 and our v2 layout.
6. Thanks for the nice comments everyone :p
7. PocketRadio is NOT gone, infact it is being redone. We are integrating it with out site.
8. I can't emphasize this enough.... TotalPokemon focuses on the FUTURE, we are not going to make content for old games which the same content could be found on any other site.

chaos on the internet
14th July 2006, 11:49 AM
isn't this the lively topic lol

anyway, your site is ok its more useful than the majority of other sites