PDA

View Full Version : How To Pick Affiliates

RevoBlaze
25th June 2006, 11:25 PM
Everyday, thousands of people from every genre from anime to abortion protesters look for affiliates.

Why?

Everyone, loves the feeling of being connected with their peers. We live in a age where some deem the next generation as the "Myspace Generation". These people want to get their thoughts, views, and content available to the masses and what better way than to link with other sites that share the same views?

Now picking affiliates can be more a popularity contest (small sites trying to affiliate with mega sites typically). This is not always a best option, and this FAQ will go through all the different types of Affiliates that are found in the Pokemon Community.

1. Affiliates

This is the most common name that people use for the sites they are linked with. Affliates comes from the word "Affiliation" which means to adopt or accept as a member, subordinate associate, or branch.

You should pick a site that shares the following:

A.) Interest - You should never affiliate with someone just because they get thousands or even million of hits.

B.)Size - You should always pick websites that are either your size or bigger. Though I would not request to be a affiliate of larger sites, until you are well off unless you would like a automatic NO.

C.)Grammar - This is essential in the fight against n00bism. Never I repeat NEVER accept or even consider asking anyone who types like this: well thef peokemon gme is sooo muich fuin n ike i luv to plai it ....... < That is the type of sites I deny each and everyday.

Now that you learned the ABC's of picking Affiliates, why don't we learn about Top Affiliates??

2.) Top Affiliates

Top Affiliates are commonly used among larger sites, as a special area for sites that meet a certain requirement of hits. Top Affiliates are basically the few other large sites that exist in the Pokemon Community (i.e TotalPokemon, SIVPH, PPN, PE2K).

The same rules apply to Top Affiliates aswell, aswell as the following:

D.)Media- Many of the smaller Pokemon sites, have a vast section of downloads you can choose from which they will hope boost their hits. Usually these downloads include illegal materials as Roms, Pokemon Episodes, Nulled Programs, Nulled vBulletins/IPB (1.3.0 and up), Movies, Music (from the Pokemon CD's). If you see a site that has some of those report them to the company which they are owned by.

E.)Content- Top Affiliates aren't your ordinary sites, these sites should have a vast collection of content ranging from (but not exclusively including) episode guides, game walkthroughs', character bios, etc...

Now that we learned the D & E's of Top Affiliates, it is time to move onto the two exclusive types of Affiliates.

3.) Friends

Usually the term "Friends" is used for Webmaster(s) that know eachother either through virtual or real life, and are good friends. "Friends" should be used with conservation and devout exclusiveness. To keep it exclusive, here are some tips to keep it that way.

* Same rules as applies for Affiliates and or Top Affiliates *

F.Trust- When you consider people for this very exclusive affiliate position, don't submit invites to people you sometimes on a full moon talk to (somewhat metaphoric XD). It should be someone, who you know you can trust who (if needed) had your cPanel (or login user/pass) to make sure everything is okay. If you have a 1% doubt about it, than don't do it.

4.) Partners

This fairly new type of affiliate, is deemed like a Co Webmaster that has no real power (i.e a brother from another mother XD). This type of affiliate, is one who goes through your site for grammar and spelling errors and basically just tries to help make your site better.

However to keep this type exclusive aswell, I have another pointer...

* Follow all the guidelines I have submited for Affiliates, Top Affiliates, and Friends *

G.)Reputation - When finding a partner, you want to pick someone who has a reputation for spotting out errors and has a vast expierence in the Webmastering business. If you are a new webmaster, than don't ask webmaster who started two months before you to partner that is just plain common sense.

H.)Maturity - Having a partner who is immature is probably one of the worse things that can happen to a Webmaster. If a Partner displays any immaturity, I urge you to highly rethink the partnership because who knows how many errors he is letting slide by just to get a "chuckle" out of.

5.) Networks

Networks are a group of sites, that all either hold one common belief or all use one common project. Networks are useful when there is a large amount of people. They do not work to their full potential if it is exclusive and small (like Partners and Friends)

Here are some pointers:

*Networks use none of the guidelines that Affiliates do *

A.)Joining- When joining a network (i.e Ash/Satoshi Lovers) you look at 1. the size and 2. whose in it. You don't wanna join a Ash Lovers Network, if the majoral of them are Satanic Worshippers who are using the name as a coverup for some ritual they are planning to use on some unsuspecting victim. Though that type of problem will probably be that severe, you need to make sure that this is a network for you.

B.) Popularity - Joining larger networks like I have stated above is essentially the way to go, not only does it give you exposure but also a chance to meet people with the same interests from other countries other than your own. However, it is not a good idea to join a large network that has nothing to do with your own website.

That is the conclusion on my guide to affiliates. I hope this has been very beneficial to you, and that you seriously rethink your affiliates after reading this. I hope to add more and or edit the current FAQ for any errors you might find, or maybe something I incorrectly posted.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoyed reading this.

blazemxx
26th June 2006, 12:08 AM
Excellent guide showing people how to wisely pick your affiliates, good job on it.

-Buoysel-
11th July 2006, 6:27 AM
Thank you so much! This really helped me find affliates!

SS

chaos on the internet
14th July 2006, 10:59 AM
eh, affiliation isn't as helpful as a lot of people make it out to be... image links don't help PageRank on Google that much and nobody clicks the buttons ;/ imo you should only affiliate if the webmaster can help you out with stuff or if a partnership between communities could help more than just a button link

Faltzer
22nd July 2006, 9:49 PM
I used to button link,but not anymore,but I agree with chaos on button links being useless,they waste too much space.

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 1:52 PM
They don't really waste any space at all.

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 9:03 PM
Yes they do,they make pages low slower,and buttons won't really make a website noticable. TCoD's affiliate list reaches the bottom of te page almost,and I doubt DragonFree is accepting any affiliate requests right now,that list is a nightmare for her to edit,and literally.

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 10:44 PM
No she makes a new one like every month I visit it frequently. I seriously don't see how it is a nightmare to edit I have those little topsites and clubs buttons and I have no problem putting a new one on.

BTW I think I've been to every single one of TCoD's affiliates so it DOES help.

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 11:06 PM
No it doesn't,affiliation won't generate hits to your website. Just submit your site to search engines and advertize it. And most sites that allow affiliation requests put up stupid guidelines such as:

1)You must recieve more then 100 unique hits per day
2)200 or more pages of content
3)No freewebs websites

Those are stupid,affiliation isn't some kind of tool to generate hits. I'd be honored to link to a site that's WORTH linking to.

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 11:17 PM
I know but it still helps because people know your site is good if you are affiliated with TCoD or JJH or MH or something.

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 11:19 PM
Being affiliated with the TCoD doesn't mean a site's good/big. It's common sense.

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah but it makes people think that.

(Ever noticed how much you and I argue with each other?)

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah,I'll believe that when Pokemon Element was affiliated with Pokemon Palace and it barely even had content.

(No,you just disagree with my opinions,that's all.)

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 11:26 PM
I know and you disagree with mine.

Well I know but a lot of people have sites that are "just another fansite on the block" but when I go to a site that is affiliated with something like TCoD I think that this site must be really good quality and all so I check it out.

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 11:31 PM
Just because a big site is affiliated with a small site,doesn't make it look,or doesn't make another website seem big,because DragonFree affiliates with sites to "HELP" them,which is very different to what we're relating to right now.

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 11:33 PM
Well still I think it is good.

Offtopic: When I try to go to pokeuniverse it goes to an error 404. Why is this?

Faltzer
26th July 2006, 11:40 PM
Think what you wish. End of discussion

Off-Topic:It's down right now. >_>

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 11:50 PM
Okay. I like your new banner. Now we gotta think of something new to argue about...

Faltzer
27th July 2006, 12:03 AM
It's been going on for 6 days. So it's hard to think of another one.:P

AgentChronon
27th July 2006, 12:30 AM
Ideas:

What color scheme do you like for sites?

Image based or non image based layouts?

FRLG or RSE?

Faltzer
27th July 2006, 12:41 AM
This is irrelivant to the current topic which relates to choosing affiliates.

AgentChronon
27th July 2006, 1:01 AM
I know we would have to make a new thread.

Your-CLONE
29th July 2006, 3:57 AM
I don't even know how to add affiliattes.

AgentChronon
1st August 2006, 1:12 AM
Just put them in the right column of your site.

RevoBlaze
1st August 2006, 3:36 PM
Faltzer, please stop fighting in my thread which was supposed to be helpful. I mean honestly, take it to a PM or something.

Anyways, Affiliates can and WILL give/gain you hits. Not always instantly, but affiliates can a.) help increase your pagerank, which will help you get better noticed by google. b.) will indeed boost your hits

Proof? Look at POL or PokeZam, they increased 100x in hits just by adding numerous affiliates, it is a proven method.

Faltzer
1st August 2006, 3:53 PM
It's an opinion,live with it.

Virtual Headache
1st August 2006, 4:18 PM
AgentChronon and Faltzer, please stop going off topic in almost every thread you are posting in.
Do this again and there will be consequences...

On topic:
I see affiliation more like being in a good relation with a website and its staff.
I don't care about how many hits I get through my affilliates, but a few hits are always nice^^

Mudkipchan
2nd August 2006, 12:58 AM
Yes stop fighting.

And Faltzer, please note that not everyone can buy their own good host. Sp they use freewebs or geocities, which are quite decent hosts compared to the other crappy one's I've seen.

Most other hosts I've seen have rules where you have to get your site to have a certain number of hits just to keep it. Freewebs and geocities ain't like that. But I see you don't care about the people who don't have money or are not allowed from their parents to buy their own host.

Faltzer
2nd August 2006, 2:40 PM
We're not fighting,we're discussing affiliates on how they help,AgentChronon is the only actual one going off-topic.

Yes stop fighting.

And Faltzer, please note that not everyone can buy their own good host. Sp they use freewebs or geocities, which are quite decent hosts compared to the other crappy one's I've seen.

Most other hosts I've seen have rules where you have to get your site to have a certain number of hits just to keep it. Freewebs and geocities ain't like that. But I see you don't care about the people who don't have money or are not allowed from their parents to buy their own host.

you make me laugh,and most good free webhosts don't require you to recieve a certain amount of hits,while some good ones like dx-t.net require forum posting,and it's quite good. Think before you speak.

AgentChronon
2nd August 2006, 6:21 PM
AgentChronon and Faltzer, please stop going off topic in almost every thread you are posting in.
Do this again and there will be consequences...

Sorry... anyway I reccomend affiliating with a lot of sites you like. Even if you don't get hits it can't hurt and you have a better relationship with the webmaster/webmistress.

RevoBlaze
6th August 2006, 4:46 AM
We're not fighting,we're discussing affiliates on how they help,AgentChronon is the only actual one going off-topic.

you make me laugh,and most good free webhosts don't require you to recieve a certain amount of hits,while some good ones like dx-t.net require forum posting,and it's quite good. Think before you speak.

1. This is about affiliating, not about SPAMing your host.
2. I wish you would think before you speak.

On another note, I see Affiliating now more as a unity of Pokemon Webmasters. When I wrote this F.A.Q, which I believe was in 2005 at PokeCommunity was when I was still at Pokemon706 and obsessed with hits.

Now I rather keep the community together, then just not affiliating with people because I make 2-4k a day.

Mudkipchan
6th August 2006, 5:21 AM

Speak for yourself. Many of those "getting certain amount of hits, etc" hosts I've tried turned out to be real crap.

And I DO think before I speak, thank you very much. >.>

chaos on the internet
6th August 2006, 5:55 AM
(image links get you little to no pagerank in google because they dont contain keywords)
(pokezam doesnt get many hits)
(pol has half of what pokezam gets)

AgentChronon
6th August 2006, 4:03 PM
If you're sitting in the middle of a dark room working on your computer, no one can come in, and if they wouldn't even want to if they could. If you smash holes in the side of the room, leading to other rooms filled with light, the light now has a passage into the room.

In case you didn't get the metaphor, light = hits, room = site.

Trainer Rachel
6th August 2006, 7:49 PM
^Tis very true :D

Faltzer
6th August 2006, 10:34 PM
1. This is about affiliating, not about SPAMing your host.
Yes,which is what we're discussing you damn hypocrite,read the whole topic. I was saying that affiliation is pointless to get hits. Now shut up.

If you're sitting in the middle of a dark room working on your computer, no one can come in, and if they wouldn't even want to if they could. If you smash holes in the side of the room, leading to other rooms filled with light, the light now has a passage into the room.

In case you didn't get the metaphor, light = hits, room = site.

That made no sense at all,whatsoever.

Mudkipchan
6th August 2006, 11:05 PM
If you think afflies dosen't give hits, then how come when my other site got two afflies it started getting more hits? I didn't even advertised.

Faltzer
7th August 2006, 12:01 AM
It's rare for people to click links on an affiliate bar for the reason is they don't care. And if they did click your link,they felt sorry for you recieving 1 hit per day. :)

Buttons are the only concern I have,I mean,buttons won't make people notice your site. Search Engines can't read images,not even the link. They don't have keywords like chaos said,so they can't index your pages. A normal link won't affect the many hits you recieve from an affiliate recieving only 1 unique hit per day.

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 12:07 AM
And if they did click your link,they felt sorry for you recieving 1 hit per day. :)

How would they know if they'd never been to your site? This might be just me, but I click affiliate bars ALL THE TIME.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 1:26 AM
It's rare for people to click links on an affiliate bar for the reason is they don't care. And if they did click your link,they felt sorry for you recieving 1 hit per day. :)

Your sarcasm intreasts me. That or you're just trying to rudely insult me. And your insults fail to anger me, fuu fuu.

And yes indeed, some people do only click buttons because they don't care. But I found some pretty intreasting sites by just randomly clicking buttons that seem to tell me what the site's content may have. That's how I found serebii.net I tell you.

Buttons are the only concern I have,I mean,buttons won't make people notice your site. Search Engines can't read images,not even the link. They don't have keywords like chaos said,so they can't index your pages. A normal link won't affect the many hits you recieve from an affiliate recieving only 1 unique hit per day.
If buttons don't work, then you should read this site traffic tutorial I found on a pixel site that I found through affling: http://kawaiiness.com/content/articles/sitetraffic2/

Faltzer
7th August 2006, 9:57 PM
That was a real dumb guide to gaininh traffic through button links. Beautiful buttons don't mean people will click your site,because people don't concentrate on buttons of your affiliates site,they come to see content,and they might accidently click your affiliate link,which is like clicking a google adsense ad. AdSense=Rare to click.

Mudkipchan
8th August 2006, 12:52 AM
Eh well, you'll still be surprised. But you know sometimes the tutorial is true and sometimes it's false. It depends, because people often look for sites in many different ways. They may go around looking for afflies, going on google, going to site listings etc.

AgentChronon
8th August 2006, 1:04 AM
I, for one, and I know Trainer Rachel agrees with me wherever she is, click almost every affiliate that a site has. I love finding new sites. My site has gotten much more hits now that I affilated with Mewstar Island.

Faltzer
8th August 2006, 8:22 PM
Stop bragging AC.

Mudkipchan
8th August 2006, 9:23 PM
Stop bragging AC.

It's true actually, I've just noticed that myself.

AgentChronon
8th August 2006, 9:41 PM
Stop bragging AC.

Wait wait wait explain to me how I'm bragging?

Mudkipchan
8th August 2006, 11:04 PM
My site has gotten much more hits now that I affilated with Mewstar Island.

That was bragging, but still... it is the truth.

AgentChronon
8th August 2006, 11:06 PM
Well I didn't mean to brag I was giving an example. Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Faltzer
9th August 2006, 12:16 AM
http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9958/refferiw8.png

:/

That's the exact stats of how many hits through affiliation I gain,no,not bragging,just showing an example of how affiliation does not help much.

AgentChronon
9th August 2006, 1:06 AM
How did you get one of those thingies? I'm curious.

Uh and like I said a while back that's just the people that found your site. Like I found Eevee's HQ through an affilaite link. I only clicked the link once, after that I visited it by typing eeveeshq.com in the address bar.

Mudkipchan
9th August 2006, 1:57 AM
And what's 'not-so-alot' about 140 visitors or 63.64% of them? :P

Faltzer
9th August 2006, 4:10 PM
I'm obsessed with hits,140 isn't really enough,affiliation hasn't really helped me at all,the only affiliate that HAS helped was the one and only pokecenter.info playground. :/

Trainer Rachel
9th August 2006, 6:54 PM
That was bragging, but still... it is the truth.

I don't mean to change the subject, but I did not find AC's comment in any way to be bragging. He simply stated that affiliating has helped his site become more popular. It's not like he was saying "OOH I GET MEGA LOADZZ HITZZ MOR THN U HAHA"

And Faltzer, I would say affiliation has helped you. If it werent for affiliates, you'd have a couple hundred less hits than you do now.

AgentChronon
9th August 2006, 7:07 PM
My policy is: You don't need to go overboard with affiliating, like Pokezam. Affiliate with about 8 or so sites at first, and word about your site will spread. Then, people will here about it other ways, like "Have you been to that cool site Megapokeplushieland?" "Yes I have do you like Pokeuniverse?" "I like Pokemon Highway (btw awesome name choice Trainer Rachel)." And after that if a really popular sites asks you to affiliate, accept. It can't hurt.

Trainer Rachel
9th August 2006, 7:14 PM
My policy is: You don't need to go overboard with affiliating, like Pokezam. Affiliate with about 8 or so sites at first, and word about your site will spread. Then, people will here about it other ways, like "Have you been to that cool site Megapokeplushieland?" "Yes I have do you like Pokeuniverse?" "I like Pokemon Highway (btw awesome name choice Trainer Rachel)." And after that if a really popular sites asks you to affiliate, accept. It can't hurt.

Thanks for the name compliment ^_^

And I agree with what you're saying. But another word of advice for everyone: don't affiliate with any site just so you can get an affiliate. Still be careful and choose sites that you LIKE and WANT to affiliate with, not ones that you dont and just affiliate with so you can say you're affiliated.

AgentChronon
9th August 2006, 7:23 PM
not ones that you dont and just affiliate with so you can say you're affiliated.

Agreed. =D

Mudkipchan
9th August 2006, 10:55 PM
I'm obsessed with hits,140 isn't really enough,affiliation hasn't really helped me at all,the only affiliate that HAS helped was the one and only pokecenter.info playground. :/

Hah hah, you once said that afflies don't give hits, and then you said that an afflie helped. Hah, you fail. [/end_noobness]

But face it, like the others said. You still wouldn't have alot of hits even today without those afflies.

Faltzer
9th August 2006, 11:23 PM
I never said I would recieve a lot more hits by affiliation,and even with affiliates,my site is doing well. Pokecenter is my most recent one,and I really don't care right now if I do recieve hits from affiliation or not. Unless you actually get a big website such as PPN to affiliate with you,you're going no-where. A plethora of affiliate links isn't good,and won't prove in gaining hits.

And to tell the truth about this topic, people don't need a "How to Pick Affiliates" topic just to know how to choose them. People can use there ways to choose and not some other people's suggestions.

AgentChronon
9th August 2006, 11:23 PM
Mewstar Island has really helped me both in hits and in my confidence (now that Mewstar Island affilated with me I know I can get more affiliates). Pokeball hasn't really, but that's because that site isn't very popular either.

BlueEew
10th August 2006, 1:37 AM
eh, affiliation isn't as helpful as a lot of people make it out to be... image links don't help PageRank on Google that much and nobody clicks the buttons ;/ imo you should only affiliate if the webmaster can help you out with stuff or if a partnership between communities could help more than just a button link

I agree with you chaos, affiliate's should be other sites/boardes that help, or share content with each other.

I have reconised that alot sites/forums don't even ask to become someones affiliate they just add it to there list. Also you see alot of dead forums with like 200 affiliates with 200 other dead forums, whats the point?

AgentChronon
10th August 2006, 2:27 AM
If your affilaite died you usually take it off...

and the first thing is just bad form.

And not every site can share content with each other! Even sister sites don't always do that.