PDA

View Full Version : Channelling the Battle Zone! (458)

Pages : [1] 2

Serebii
29th June 2006, 1:55 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/458.jpgMay VS Drew! The Final Battle!

Into the Quarter Finals, May is up against her long time rival, Drew. In a double battle of Drew's Flygon & Absol against May's Combusken & Squirtle, will May be able to defeat Drew? Will either of them end up competing in the final and who will win the Tournement?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/458.shtml)

Discuss

Serebii
29th June 2006, 1:58 PM
Info obtained so far:

May defeated Drew and lost to Saori who went on to win the tournement.

Ash captured Aipom

Torchic23
29th June 2006, 2:01 PM
So that's confirmed now? Good

I figured something like that would have happened. Heh, I just can't believe Drew lost to a baby Squirtle XD

Still, the full details of the episode will be cool. Like Drew and May's dramatic good-bye, at least, I'm guessing that's what happened, every episode with Drew seems to end like that.......

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the pics tomorrow! (Hopefully)

PkmnBreederLuke
29th June 2006, 2:03 PM
It's about time she beat him imo. Whether she's portrayed as weaker than Drew or not, 4 losses on the bounce would be pretty bad if you ask me.

Not too bothered about Aipom, with me only seeing 2 episodes in this season, all I'm really bothered about is May's contests at the minute, so it doesn't really interest me that part.

What I am interested in is whether or not Combusken learned a new move or used Blaze. And what Drew's reaction was after he lost to May.

Contest Fan
29th June 2006, 2:58 PM
YES MAY WON !!!!
I now want to know what pokemon she used against Saori.
So May came in top 4 in the Kanto GF then good for her I really can't wait to see ep

Serebii
29th June 2006, 2:58 PM
YES MAY WON !!!!
I now want to know what pokemon she used against Saori.
So May came in top 4 in the Kanto GF then good for her I really can't wait to see ep
Munchlax & Combusken

~Flareon~
29th June 2006, 3:04 PM
Yay, May finally won. So Ash did catch an Aipom. That's great. I can't wait to see the episode pictures tomorrow.

Contest Fan
29th June 2006, 3:26 PM
Thanks Serebii
Did Harley do anything?
Did May say if she planned to keep doing contests at Shinou (I'm sorry if I spelt it wrong)

Jo-Jo
29th June 2006, 3:27 PM
Ugh, Ash caught that blasted Aipom? Frick. I hope he gets rid of it in Aipom And The King.

Aaaand May beat Drew. With Squirtle. Double frick. But never mind, maybe he'll stick around anyway.

jolteonjak
29th June 2006, 3:27 PM
Has Combusken's glowing been truly confirmed to be....(wince)....Overheat?

Rizardon
29th June 2006, 3:28 PM
I was secretly hoping Combusken would evolve, but learning
and using Overheat is pretty nice too i guess.

So Ash managed to catch pokemon number six Aipom, wonder if he,ll still keep on snatching his hat.

ZoraJolteon
29th June 2006, 4:21 PM
It was Overheat. Saori battled with Slowbro and Pidgeot. I think this is the first time Featherdance has been used in the anime. Aipom knows Swift.

Chatsy
29th June 2006, 4:23 PM
Well, since Drew did seem to have a mental breakdown because of all the pressure he gave himself, then I guess that could excuse him losing. :/

Aipom better be worth adding to Ash's team. *shakes fist*

vaporeon89
29th June 2006, 4:50 PM
Apart from the new and horrible Overheat, can anyone confirm any new attack??

;134;89

DANdotW
29th June 2006, 4:50 PM
Wow, Ash catching Aipom. When was the last time someone in the main group had a Pokémon with Swift....Was it Cyndaquil and Staryu?

Pidgeot? Well, that'll stop everyone saying she's just like Prima.

Righto, so May is....4th place? Or 2nd? At least she beat Drew I spose :/

Can't wait for pictures. So...Aipom knows Iron Tail and Swift so far?

EDIT: What was happening to Squirtle in the preview? Was it learning/using a new attack, or was it being hit?

Hunter

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 4:56 PM
She beat Drew! I must say I am shocked. Now I can't wait to see this episode.

PkmnBreederLuke
29th June 2006, 4:58 PM
Wow, Ash catching Aipom. When was the last time someone in the main group had a Pokémon with
Righto, so May is....4th place? Or 2nd? At least she beat Drew I spose :/

Hunter

Pretty sure May came top 4 when Saori beat her, then Saori went onto win another match to win the tournament.

Pure
29th June 2006, 4:59 PM
Why would they give Ash an Aipom? I guess it's the same concept as Primeape, with a pokemon that often takes his hat... hope Aipom is released soon.

The Benmeister
29th June 2006, 5:02 PM
Hooray, May actually won. I DIDN'T see that coming. Seriously, I thought it would be another rehash.

Ash...Ash captured Aipom? *Sigh* Guess I've lost 10 quid then.

PkmnBreederLuke
29th June 2006, 5:02 PM
Why would they give Ash an Aipom? I guess it's the same concept as Primeape, with a pokemon that often takes his hat... hope Aipom is released soon.

Buzz is Aipom will get a D/P evolution.

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 5:07 PM
I don't see the problem with Aipom, I'm glad that Ash caught it, hopefully it won't go away in the next episode then.

Pure
29th June 2006, 5:07 PM
That should be good. Then he'll be decently powerful, but still not great.

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th June 2006, 5:08 PM
I have a feeling Ash will get some new D/P hold item in the next episode (anywords on the preview for that?), and a few episodes later (in time for the Pyramid), Aipom will evolve into a Pokemon recently revealed in CoroCoro.

ZoraJolteon
29th June 2006, 5:09 PM
I don't think Aipom knows Iron Tail. Apparantly that was some sort of punch that doesn't have a real name.

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 5:14 PM
I don't think Aipom knows Iron Tail. Apparantly that was some sort of punch that doesn't have a real name.

Focus Punch?

WaterKrystal
29th June 2006, 5:14 PM
Can't say that Haruka beating Shuu was a total surprise, but I wonder what happened with Shuu after the match.

Ash caught the aipom...not really happy about it at all, but this should be interesting.

cold_katanagirl
29th June 2006, 5:32 PM
AHAHA I knew May was going to win. <_<

Well, erm, that's that then.

I can't believe he caught Aipom. Crap.

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 5:36 PM
OMG yes everything that i wanted to come true has happened.Now only if the site i get the episode's from would upload this.

Torkoal Stu
29th June 2006, 5:40 PM
You can't say we 100% saw May winning happening?

I was just hoping for it!

But hurrah! Though i'm not suprised about Saori winning the whole thing, though Pidgeot? Nice.

*waits for pictures*

cold_katanagirl
29th June 2006, 5:41 PM
You can't say we 100% saw May winning happening?

I was just hoping for it!I thought there were people who thought May was going to lose. =/

ZoraJolteon
29th June 2006, 5:42 PM
It is Focus Punch. I was thrown for a second when I couldn't see きあいパンチ anywhere.

Shift
29th June 2006, 5:44 PM
I had the feeling May would win against Drew. But how'd she get into the top 4? She would've been in the top 16 if she had lost to Drew, and in the top 8 after beating him. Did she beat another trainer before Saori?

I'm pretty much okay with Ash having Aipom; it's purple color goes nicely with his team's color scheme. However, I hope it doesn't just become a Pokemon that shares all the screentime with Pikachu and leaves the others with nothing...

S.Suikun
29th June 2006, 5:46 PM
Bah, predictable results. If May was going to lose to Drew for a bloody 4th consecutive time, introducing Saori would have been nearly pointless. Thank God May finally put him in his place after 150+ episodes. Still, cramming two full battles, a capture, and the closing ceremonies doesn't give me a good feeling about the pacing. I kinda wish the capture was held off until the next episode so things wouldn't be rushed.

I had the feeling May would win against Drew. But how'd she get into the top 4? She would've been in the top 16 if she had lost to Drew, and in the top 8 after beating him. Did she beat another trainer before Saori?
She was already in the Top 16 when she went up against Harley.

Shift
29th June 2006, 5:53 PM
Oh, I see. EVeryone was saying how she would have been demoted from the top 8 in Hoenn to the top 16 rank in Kanto if she lost to Drew, but I guess that was a mistake.

CyberCubed
29th June 2006, 5:57 PM
God May finally put him in his place after 150+ episodes. Still, cramming two full battles, a capture, and the closing ceremonies doesn't give me a good feeling about the pacing. I kinda wish the capture was held off until the next episode so things wouldn't be rushed.

The Hoenn GF had May/Harley, May/Drew, and Snorunt evolving into Glalie crammed all into the same episode, and I didn't think it was too rushed.

I hope Flygon didn't go down too quickly though, I have a bad feeling about that.

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 6:01 PM
Why even give Saori a Pidgeot in her last battle we'll never see her again.

Contest Fan
29th June 2006, 6:01 PM
I agree with suikun I don't want this ep to be rushed because we need good character interaction between May and Drew and Drew and Saori (Possibly Harley and May if he appears) They should have left out the capture of Aipom. If they handle this ep right in tems of pacing then it will be a great ending to the GF

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 6:18 PM
Why even give Saori a Pidgeot in her last battle we'll never see her again.

Just an assumption. She might be lucky and come back.

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th June 2006, 6:29 PM
I keep hearing people say Squirlte beat Flygon, is that true? Did it deliver the finishing blow?

Even if it's true, I mean, come on. One good Ice Beam could easily kill a Ground/Dragon type.

Thriller
29th June 2006, 6:48 PM
Dd Cumbuskin evolv?

Lol just joking.

Everyone knew Ash would get that stupid monkey, no suprise.

I thought May would win against Drew but lose to Saori. Things can be so predictable.

And so ends the Kanto GF, on to the Pyramid!

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 6:53 PM
Now onto the new 4th pokemon appearences.Then May Vs Drew again.

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 7:09 PM
Squritle beating Flygon, great, just what everybody wanted!

Flamez
29th June 2006, 7:37 PM
Squritle beating Flygon, great, just what everybody wanted!
I hope thats a joke.

Ok May beat drew went on to lose to Saori, not really surprising. Saori with Pidgeot didn't see that one coming. Good though, maybe it will get Ash thinking about his pidgeot (o who am I kidding that will never happen).
And im with everyone who says "frick" or "damn" or anything bad about squirtle beating flygon. I have to watch this episode to see how it went down.

Damn you people really hate Aipom dont you. Still though I like it and im sure ~.Combusken.~ would agree with me that giving it swift is good indeed. But please as much as i like it i dont want it to take part in the final facility for ash. I want a rematch of Sceptile vs. Regirock.

The Benmeister
29th June 2006, 7:41 PM
For once, I probably won't mind if Squirtle took down Flygon with Ice Beam (after all Flygon has a 4x weakness to ice, and Lance's Gyarados ingame easily fails to my lvl45 Pikachu's Thunderbolt, so no large loss). I would rather see how it happened, though.

Kabuto
29th June 2006, 7:41 PM
MAY WON?! I am happy for change but unhappy for dues ex. A Combusken and a baby Squirtle (which the writers love) beat an Absol and Flygon. How sad.

Aipom better get an evolution or make itself useful.

---Kyogre007---
29th June 2006, 7:58 PM
I'm not going to say anything before I can see everything with my own eyes. And it will be tomorrow.

PokemonTrainerLisa
29th June 2006, 8:00 PM
Yay! ^^

Ash caught Aipom!

That is so awesome!!!!!! :D

And of course, since he has an Aipom now, that would make it very convenient for the writers to plan on giving us another great filler episode. *cough it involves Aipom's tears cough* XD

Hehe, I would love that so much. XD

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 8:00 PM
Aipoms already too useful.I'm happy Squirtle beat Flygon.

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 8:07 PM
I hope thats a joke.

Don't worry, it was.

Is it just me, or does Aipom seem to look a little different then it did in Johto. Different animators maybe?

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th June 2006, 8:21 PM
More like different animation styles, since now we have the clearer, computer animated stuff.

intergalactic platypus
29th June 2006, 8:23 PM
I'm so mad she beat Drew. I can't see any non cheap way she could have defeated two big powerhouses with a friggin Squirtle and Combusken. Something tells me it was a real Deux Ex type win, and that really makes me mad

Jo-Jo
29th June 2006, 8:44 PM
I can buy Combusken being a match for Absol, no problem. But Flygon, if anything, comes across as even more powerful than Absol. It's like the writers wanted a Combusken VS Absol showdown, realised, "oh damn, that big swoopy dragon's in the way... quick, get rid of it!", and made Squirtle zap Flygon out of the sky in one hit. Bah.

Or maybe I should watch the battle first before ranting. :p

Sadly, Combusken learning Overheat (it doesn't learn that move naturally, does it?) sounds as though it might be almost as deus ex-ish as Squirtle learning Ice Beam. I hope that isn't the case.

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 8:52 PM
Uhh Sky Uppercut<<<<Absol
Ice Beam<<<<<<Flygon

TwilightFacade
29th June 2006, 8:55 PM
I am so happy that May FINALLY beat Drew. It doesn't bother me at all that Squirtle (probably) took down Flygon. It is a perfectly plausible win, and I feel bad for the little blue guy.

Overheat??? Jeez just put another spike in poor Torkoal's heart. It should have been Blaze.

I don't see the problem with Aipom. However I'm curious to know how it battles.

Saori has Pidgeot=Awesome. Too bad we'll never see her again.

So May has improved. Top 4 is pretty impressive.

Kabuto
29th June 2006, 8:57 PM
I can buy Combusken being a match for Absol, no problem. But Flygon, if anything, comes across as even more powerful than Absol. It's like the writers wanted a Combusken VS Absol showdown, realised, "oh damn, that big swoopy dragon's in the way... quick, get rid of it!", and made Squirtle zap Flygon out of the sky in one hit. Bah.

If that was the case, you'd think they'd have Masquerain fight instead. Another thing, Combusken against Saori's powerful water arsenal isn't too smart. Oh well, the anime has never had type matter anyway.

Torkoal Stu
29th June 2006, 9:00 PM
Rancid Meat that could be why they gave Saori a Pidgeot in an attempt to make us buy the fact that Combusken was a kinda good choice :/

Judai Yuki
29th June 2006, 9:02 PM
Still waiting to watch it to see why everyone's ******.*EDIT* Uhh mad

The Benmeister
29th June 2006, 9:02 PM
Rancid Meat that could be why they gave Saori a Pidgeot in an attempt to make us buy the fact that Combusken was a kinda good choice :/

But Flying > Fighting.

...meh, let's just pray the writers aren't losing their logic of Pokemon.

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th June 2006, 9:07 PM
Uhh Sky Uppercut<<<<Absol
Ice Beam<<<<<<Flygon

Uh...no! Ice Beam is >>>>>Flygon. It has 4x weakness to it.

And, no offense, but Absol is not that strong of a Pokemon in the games.

Contest Fan
29th June 2006, 9:11 PM
The Game isn't a guide to the anime remember

HoennMaster
29th June 2006, 9:28 PM
I just thought of this:

By looking at the Top 16 Bracket the only way May and Drew would have fought would have been in the Top 4. Then May would have fought Saori in the final match, please someone correct me if I'm wrong because this is bugging me know.

Lupin
29th June 2006, 9:39 PM
So basically they decided to make her better then Ash, finishing in the Top 4 rather then the Top 8 again. Shows favoratisim for her doesn't.

Aipom being caught doesn't surprise me at all, just hope he has something that is being worth being caught for.

CyberCubed
29th June 2006, 9:41 PM
Anyone else kind of wish Saori battled with Lapras instead of Slowbro? I really wanted to see Lapras in a good battle.

Contest Fan
29th June 2006, 11:14 PM
I do Cybercybed, Lapras hasn't been seen in a good battle in a while

CyberCubed
29th June 2006, 11:15 PM
It hasn't had a decent battle "ever" as far as I can remember. O_o

EDIT: May cries!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/MayHaruka/1151594441110.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/MayHaruka/1151583608406.jpg

I have no idea why she cries though, I don't think it's because she lost.

cold_katanagirl
29th June 2006, 11:20 PM

I have no idea why she cries though, I don't think it's because she lost.... Well, her eyes were watery somewhere in the episode. XD

CyberCubed
29th June 2006, 11:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/MayHaruka/1151591140665.gif

^ I'm guessing that's after she beats Drew.

... Well, her eyes were watery somewhere in the episode. XD

Heh, that was in the Drew match though, which she won, so I don't think she'd cry over that! :p

I really hope she doesn't cry after losing to Saori though, she didn't cry when she lost the Hoenn GF. :/

Rufinito18
29th June 2006, 11:31 PM

Heh, that was in the Drew match though, which she won, so I don't think she'd cry over that! :p

I really hope she doesn't cry after losing to Saori though, she didn't cry when she lost the Hoenn GF. :/

CyberCubed, you're so dirty :P

I like it

Black Marauder
29th June 2006, 11:53 PM
YES. Ice Beam rocks and it beat Flygon. Woot! May beating Drew was totally expected, boohoo.

So Aipom was caught... I like him. He better be useful.

DANdotW
30th June 2006, 12:02 AM
Anyone reckon the crying could be at Drews farewell? Its plausable.

Anyone know how long it'll take for this to be on youtube? I watched the previous episode today.

Blech, Focus Punch? I guess that makes it a genuinely useful Pokémon then. And it makes sense that it would use a punch attack with its tail...

I'm really glad with the whole Saouri thing. Lapras. Pidgeot. Great to see those two get some action.

Hunter

PeteDHeat
30th June 2006, 12:04 AM

question:
Where you guys watch the recently released episodes?How serebii gets them?

skarmachild
30th June 2006, 12:12 AM
question:
Where you guys watch the recently released episodes?How serebii gets them?

Please learn how to construct a sentance. Most people on here likely download them, though that is not spoken around these part (good if you checked out SPP's affiliates).

Thriller
30th June 2006, 12:14 AM

Maybe Harley pushed the last button.

Like saying dressed like Haruka "Hey, I'm Haruka! I suck and don't know how to be a coordinator!"

Disclaimer: That was just an idea.

skarmachild
30th June 2006, 12:17 AM

Whered you get them screencapss?

ZoraJolteon
30th June 2006, 12:24 AM
Nah. Harley's ultimate plan would be to wait until the first shinou contest and then when May's battling drop down from the rafters dressed as Zeus and slap her opponent into submission.

PeteDHeat
30th June 2006, 12:29 AM
Please learn how to construct a sentance. Most people on here likely download them, though that is not spoken around these part (good if you checked out SPP's affiliates).
Please keep the comments to yourself.

wobbanut
30th June 2006, 12:32 AM
Hmm, Ash catches a monkey pokemon that was stealing his hat. That sounds so familiar. I wonder if aipom will last longer than six episodes this time. :p At least I liked Primeape, though. And at least Ash finally caught a new pokemon for the first time in ages. I can't wait to see the screencaps for this episode, especially because I like Drew a lot. :)

Kabuto
30th June 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm going to wait patiently and see what Yamato san has to say about this. Especially since Squirtle didn't take the loss in the final round. I do say that all her other pokemon are just as cheap as Squirtle is. But, has it even lost a battle yet, besides the Scizor match which it won shortly after? Thats pretty sad. Oh well, hopefully we'll only see Munchlax and Combusken next season.

.Bambi.
30th June 2006, 12:55 AM

Because it was her first Grand Festival, and I guess beating Anthony and Harley was good enough for her? My guess is that since she finally beat Drew, in the Grand Festival no less, she thought she would be unstoppable. Then came sweet crushing defeat delivered by hott Saori.

On a n00b standpoint: May beat Drew?! OMFGYES! Finally, it only took her 4 frikken seasons [oops, same as Ash D:]. I mean, I know Drew is good, but May has to be given some slack when it comes to him.

Ash caught Aipom. Excellent.
Not only do I like the guy, but I find it satisfying that so many people are freaking out. I say, let him beat Brandon by himself...it'd be hilarious. And hey, if people are going to hate him for something, let it at least be something substantial.

Kabuto
30th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Not only do I like the guy, but I find it satisfying that so many people are freaking out. I say, let him beat Brandon by himself...it'd be hilarious. And hey, if people are going to hate him for something, let it at least be something substantial.

If Aipom beat Brandon, I wouldn't even be able to blame him for a cheap win because I'd be laughing so hard. As cheap as May's victory over Drew probably was, I'm glad she finally beat him since it took about as long as the time until Ash's victory on Gary.

.Bambi.
30th June 2006, 1:05 AM
If Aipom beat Brandon, I wouldn't even be able to blame him for a cheap win because I'd be laughing so hard. As cheap as May's victory over Drew probably was, I'm glad she finally beat him since it took about as long as the time until Ash's victory on Gary.
I hope you know I was joking about the Aipom thing. The point I was trying to get across is that it's funny to not hate the thing [because it's done nothing wrong but live], and watch everyone else do so. To make, oh, an EXTREME analogy, it's like everyone gets their hand chopped off and you're impervious to pain. What do you do? You laugh at everyone else.

And I assume by "cheap win" you mean Squirtle? *sigh* if Squirtle weren't in this battle against Drew, I bet almost everyone would be happy right now. Sure I'm nbot happy that Squirtle helped bring Drew down, but at least May finally won against him...

cryztalwing
30th June 2006, 1:06 AM
To me this make's since. It took Ash to leage's to beat Gary, the Indigo League, and the Johto Leage. Three if you count the Orang Islands, thow Gary was not there . May betting Drew in the Kanto GF can be compare to Ash betting Gary in the Johto Leage, becuse it took 2 GF's for May to beat Drew.

I am happy to see that May finally beat him, I mean she lose to him in every battle befor this one. So ya it was finally time for her to win one. The Kanto GF was the best place for it too.. Also I think it's about time that May get's an electric type PoKeMoN also..

burrut13
30th June 2006, 1:08 AM
Anyone reckon the crying could be at Drews farewell? Its plausable.

Anyone know how long it'll take for this to be on youtube? I watched the previous episode today.

Blech, Focus Punch? I guess that makes it a genuinely useful Pokémon then. And it makes sense that it would use a punch attack with its tail...

I'm really glad with the whole Saouri thing. Lapras. Pidgeot. Great to see those two get some action.

Hunter
how did you find the episode on youtube? i actually like squirtle, though like everyone else thinks, it did pull that ice beam out of its arse
EDIT: new trainer ranking w00t!

Kabuto
30th June 2006, 1:15 AM
I hope you know I was joking about the Aipom thing. The point I was trying to get across is that it's funny to not hate the thing [because it's done nothing wrong but live], and watch everyone else do so. To make, oh, an EXTREME analogy, it's like everyone gets their hand chopped off and you're impervious to pain. What do you do? You laugh at everyone else.

And I assume by "cheap win" you mean Squirtle? *sigh* if Squirtle weren't in this battle against Drew, I bet almost everyone would be happy right now. Sure I'm nbot happy that Squirtle helped bring Drew down, but at least May finally won against him...

By cheap win I mean both of them. Squirtle moreso, but Combusken still isn't in the league of Drew's pokemon. And yes, I knew you were joking. Yuo poepll teak mee 4 a idoit.

CyberCubed
30th June 2006, 1:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Squirtle was knocked out after Flygon went down

The final showdown came between Combusken and Absol, and it ended because time ran out, so May didn't even get to KO Absol.

Almighty Zard
30th June 2006, 2:05 AM
I'm pretty sure Squirtle was knocked out after Flygon went down.
Tell me that Squirtle didn't drop Flygon alone, otherwise Yamato-san is gonna lead an army of Squirtle haters into these boards and you won't be able to go 1 post without somebody bashing the turtle for something every single episode even when it is not even used,seen, or even mentioned.

My take on May crying, i'm betting that Drew yells at her for losing to Saori, and probably blames her for getting in his way for revenge.

Kabuto
30th June 2006, 2:13 AM
May shouldn't be crying. She got top 4 in the grand festival which is an excellent feat for a novice who wins with luck alone. And she still doesn't have it good enough. She beat both Drew and Harley. What if she traveled all that way to lose in the appeals?! I say she should be extremely grateful.

gamefreak5034
30th June 2006, 2:28 AM
ok first i agree with anyone that says may shouldnt have beaten Drew even if squirtle did use ice beam( i understand if an actual strong ice type used it) and i dont think ash capturing aipom isnt that horrible, i mean considering it prob. has a d/p evolution or some hidden power of some kind, i just hope its not the comedy relief of ashs team

GreenKirby
30th June 2006, 4:21 AM
Now that May beat Drew, I can hope for him to leave just like his predecessor gary did. And I'm aware of Drew's next episode.

spacefissure
30th June 2006, 4:22 AM
I never doubted Ash catching Aipom for a second. Although I'm dissapointed because I actually saw this coming, unlike the last Grand Festival when Snorunt evolved.

Mewtwo Champ150
30th June 2006, 5:05 AM
I wish Munchlax was the one who beat Flygon so everyone would hate it instead. What's wrong with May's Sqirtle beating Drew's Flygon?

Almighty Zard
30th June 2006, 5:18 AM
What's wrong with May's Sqirtle beating Drew's Flygon?

Flygon is Drews most powerful pokemon, May's Squirtle is a baby, and it doesn't help Squirtles case when you think that most of the contest battles that it's been in, it's been pulling Dues ex wins out of no where, the most horrible one is deffinitely the saffron contest where it beat an Aridos with ONE out of control Ice beam.

HoennMaster
30th June 2006, 5:25 AM
I doubt Squritle is a baby now. Don't know if any one mentioned it, but some sites are saying that Saori also has a Butterfree.

♥Hana.Hikari♥
30th June 2006, 6:05 AM
Zenigame The Runt. I like it, you know, the cuteness and all, but after being with Haruka for awhile, surely it has gotten even a little bit stronger. Besides, Dragon types are weak against ice attacks.

Haruka beat Shuu...I really wasn't expecting that, unlike others, however I kept myself neutral until it was decided. But by darn, freakin' finally! So now we just have to wait for Shuu's fate. I knew Saori will beat Haruka if (wasn't sure) she won over Shuu.

I can't wait for the pictures to clarify the battle though.

Flamez
30th June 2006, 6:11 AM
Ok so it has an advantage but people you have to remember that the anime and the games are two different things. You also have to take level into account because if you dont then you cant justify Ash's pikachu taking out rock type pokemon using thunder. The same with Grovyle taking out Altaria. Level is important, and no way in hell can any one say that squirtle is at a higher level then Flygon. Im not saying that advantage doesn't matter at all but still Squirtle beating flygon is just plain cheap.

raticatelover
30th June 2006, 7:12 AM
Im really happy with how this battle turned out. May finally defeated Drew and type advantage was at her side. Not going along with the games or not 4x to ice for flygon no brainer. And squirtle has been showing off its skills and improving this whole season. Squirtle was like her starting pokemon in kanto so it has really improved.

About the whole Ash capturing Aipom. I hate it, but they must have a reason. Ya probably D/P evolution. Aipom defeating Brandon was hilarious. Still laughing... Aipom is the ultimate pokemon! Hopefully they do a Primape and leave it somewhere. I actually liked primate too.WHY DID PRIMATE HAVE TO LEAVE?

HoennMaster
30th June 2006, 7:16 AM
For goodness sake people! What is so wrong with Aipom!

AdvanceX
30th June 2006, 8:29 AM
I'm ok with the Aipom capture- hopefully it does have soemthing to do with D/P

Serebii
30th June 2006, 9:00 AM
Ok people...please stop discussing how and where to get the episode...do you want us to get shut down? Thank you

Oh, and please save the speculation on Aipom's future for another thread...this is just for the events IN this episode

Ashy Boy
30th June 2006, 10:30 AM
Somehow I'm not surprised that May finally beat Drew and then lost to someone even better. It's similar to how Ash beat Gary and then lost to Harrison during the Johto League.

Chatsy
30th June 2006, 11:04 AM
WOW!

May actually used one of Tucker's strategies! Cool.
Remmeber the tornado he created by a combination of fire and water to capture Swellow and Corphish?
May used the same strategy to create a powerful attack, it seems.

Aipom looks better in this episodes. That's good.

Squirtle beat Flygon by first using Bubblebeam to then get close enough to use Ice Beam. Flygon would've been considered uber if it managed to handle the Ice Beam so close, so I find it fair it fainted.
Absol did knock Squirtle out almost immediately since Flygon wasn't even called back yet before Squirtle fainted.

It seems Ash is the one to identify Combusken's Overheat. I think it was also him who noticed May used Tucker's strategy.

There are used many still shots that's like pieces of art.

Combusken somehow set Absol on fire with its Overheat but it broke free.
Combusked tried to use Overheat three times but that was simply too much.
It seemed like May was about to lose but Combusked did that claws-running-through-the-ground-and-hit thing. apparently that makes it very powerful or something :/
It hits Absol hard but loses a lot of energy doing so. The time is up and May barely has just a few more points than Drew, making her the winner. Good thing it was so close.

Harley is enraged that May won. Go figure.

Aipom got hyper over it all and celebrated by stealing Ash's hat and run off.
Ash chased it outside where it threw the hat back to him and made a motion to battle.
Ash accepted, used Pikachu, they battled and Aipom seems to be quite powerful. Ash is excited about this and is even more eager to catch it, it seems. I think Pikachu used Thunder, weakening Aipom and Ash caught the thing.
LOL, many people watched the battle. XD
And,... they cheered when he caught it? ROFL! They're glad the thing is caught XDDD

Scott appears.

Saori has a Butterfree, as she is seen battling with that and Lapras against Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.
May is out back and Drew appears and shakes hands with her. Awwww.
Saori wins her battle and May is to battle her up next.
Pidgeot used Screech and Slowbro used yawn on Combusken.
Scott watches the battle with them boys.
Slowbro uses Hyper Beam on Munchlax and Combusked, knocking them out.

May is sad.

May walks out back and meets up with them boys. She cries.
I guess Saori has a thing to make her opponents cry.
Ash and Brock place their hands on May's shoulder to comfort her. SHIPPINGNESS OMG!
*shot*

Saori wins, celebration, May meets up with Drew, holding a rose in her hand (?) they talk, Drew walks away and the gang walks up to May and talk.
May then looks ... glad? at the rose.

The end.

Bah, I'm in a rush so I didn't get it all.

Contest Fan
30th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the info there Chatsy

Ashy Boy
30th June 2006, 11:44 AM
What ever happened to Team Rocket?

Chatsy
30th June 2006, 11:48 AM
What ever happened to Team Rocket?
I actually only saw a total of two screenshots of them filming May and Drew's battle. O.o;;

FireHead Hank
30th June 2006, 11:49 AM
seen the pics.

The battle between May and Drew was very cool and intensive. Though I didnt like the quantity of the "glowing" attacks at the beginning. Too much of it, too exxagerated IMO. May remembering strategies from Frontier Brains is always good.

Saoris "new" Pokemon(Butterfree and Pidgeot) didnt fit her well. I expected more water or Ice Pokemon. But I guess this should show, that she is from Kanto or something like that.

I kind of feel sorry for may...really. She was one step from her dream away and then she fails. I think it's funny though how she didnt talked to Saori at the end. I mean first they were friends and now they even didnt tell eachother goodbye. Someones bit**ing around, huh, May? :rolleyes:

IMO, it was a great episode with a cool battle. Cool battle episodes are my favorite XD.

Contest Fan
30th June 2006, 12:32 PM
I was dissappointed that May didn't even put up a good fight against Saori, May barley took off 10% of Saoris bar

Shigeru-kun
30th June 2006, 12:44 PM
I was dissappointed that May didn't even put up a good fight against Saori, May barley took off 10% of Saoris bar
Putting up a good fight has nothing to do with that. Haruka could've put her whole heart and soul into that battle, but without experience and skill there was no way she was going to beat Saori. I also think that's the reason she cried. I mean, I know if I went into a battle and got knocked out so fast when I was giving it my all...I think I'd be crying too. ._.;

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th June 2006, 1:27 PM
Hmmm....Pidgeot, Lapras, and Butterfree?

Hmm, what character used to own those before he let them roam free? XD

Chatsy
30th June 2006, 1:56 PM
Oh wait, there was also a short pan shot of Team Rocket at the end of the episode.
So there's a total of three screenshots I've seen of them in this episode. Isn't that just nice?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/chatsey/blah/292.jpg
This screenshot made my day. Ash and Max are hugging. Awwwww, certain shippers must have a field day.
Ash and Brock comforting May, May looking dreamily in to a rose and Ash and Max hugging. This episode has it all! XD

And yes, I am purposedly acting like a rapid shipper even though I'm not one myself. Weeee~

Ashy Boy
30th June 2006, 2:44 PM
I don't why Team Rocket (or at least Jessie) didn't bother to either steal the Ribbon Cup or simply cause trouble. After that failed attempt to steal May's ribbons, you think that Jessie would come up with a new scheme to become "a top coordinator" by any means possible.

HoennMaster
30th June 2006, 2:50 PM
I kind of like that they didn't try anything. And I love that Pikachu and Aipom screenshot up above!

Jo-Jo
30th June 2006, 2:50 PM
I don't why Team Rocket (or at least Jessie) didn't bother to either steal the Ribbon Cup or simply cause trouble. After that failed attempt to steal May's ribbons, you think that Jessie would come up with a new scheme to become "a top coordinator" by any means possible.
^ You MUST stop inserting OT jabs at Jessie every time you post.

C&P from BMGF, whoooo.

The battle was awesome, and probably will be even more awesome when seen in motion. It was right down to the wire; May and Drew both had a sliver of their point bars left at the end. Absol and Combusken must both have uber defences, with the attacks they were taking. And was that a return of Drew's roses at the end? ;)

Complaints are:

1. Squirtle should have gone down from the ferocity of those attacks before it got the opportunity to even get close to Flygon. It's still unevolved, no way should its defences be that strong. On the plus side, Absol slapped it down like the little b*tch that it is. :D

2. Harley didn't do anything. *sulks* Though his temper tantrum was hilarious. I love how everyone nearby turned and stared at him.

3. May's victory was rather undercut by her crashing defeat at the hands of Saori immediately afterwards.

4. Given that they went to the trouble of starting the May/Drew battle early just so there'd be enough time left over in this ep, why why why did they only show the last two minutes of the May/Saori match???

5. I still can't figure out what they were trying to do with Drew this GF. He was freaking out about losing to May, but then when he actually lost to her, he was fine? Where was the turning point? And what did Saori have to do with anything, in the end?

6. Overall, Saori kinda disappointed. Her introduction seemed so promising; I thought she'd be heavily involved in whatever was bugging Drew. But in the end, the writers just used her as a plot device to give May some information on Drew, then had her play the standard boring role of wise new friend to May, while she and Drew barely interacted. I can think of so many more interesting things that could have been done with her.

7. Why is Squirtle allowed to live?

I think on the whole, I preferred the last Grand Festival to this one. The animation was considerably poorer and the battles less impressive, but the character stuff was a great deal better. The Drew arc in this GF could have been fantastic, but it ended up only being quite good (which must sound very ungrateful of me, I'm sure :p), because the resolution didn't live up to the excitement of the set-up. (Hmmm, is it me, or does Pokemon do this a lot?)

As for the May VS Drew! Rivals Forever! episode, I'm now wondering why May and Drew are even battling. Drew gets over his loss in the GF and doesn't have any ill-feelings towards May for winning. There's even a handshake, plus the aforementioned rose. It could simply be a farewell battle for nostalgia's sake, I suppose. *sigh*

vaporeon89
30th June 2006, 3:04 PM
May VS Drew: Coolest Battle Ever

It wasfantastic,fantasticFANTASTIC!!!!!

I liked all both May and Drew combinations of attacks.

In my opinion, Squirtle beating Flygon wasn't cheap, because it was damaged before by both May's pokemon.
Wich attack did Flygon used??

Saori with a Butterfree and a Mini Pidgeot. her batle against masy was good,only good.

;134;89

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
30th June 2006, 3:35 PM
Count me in with those who wanted to see more of Saori vs. May.

Eh, I never really found Saori to be all that interesting, figures she lives up(or is it down?) to my expectations =/

I'm disappointed with Squirtle's victory. Beyond that, even =/ Prior damage or not, I have a hard time accepting that Drew's strongest Pokémon can be defeated by an Ice Beam from a tiny little Squirtle. The writers took the Cacturne route with this one by eliminating Flygon for the sake of the new Pokémon. Wigglytuff or Absol, it doesn't matter.

The writers need to give us better battles with the older Pokémon from the main rivals, not just kill them off to put the new ones on a pedestal. Either that, or refrain from just handing out new Pokémon like that. Harley could use a sixth Pokémon(Hypno), but Ariados, and to a lesser extent, Octillery, are falling behind in terms of screentime =/

Aside from that, though, this was a nice finalé to this Grand Festival. Could've been better, but what we got was good. I was happy to know Combusken didn't rely on Overheat to win this. Indeed, its trouble with the attack was even better; Overheat is a bloody powerful attack. Combusken or not, it shouldn't be so easily mastered.

For goodness sake people! What is so wrong with Aipom!

Nothing, people just like having something to complain about :)

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Darkstorm16
30th June 2006, 3:48 PM
Did Scott ever mention where the Battle Pyramid is again? O_o

Pika Hikari KT
30th June 2006, 4:03 PM
I'm disappointed with Squirtle's victory. Beyond that, even =/ Prior damage or not, I have a hard time accepting that Drew's strongest Pokémon can be defeated by an Ice Beam from a tiny little Squirtle.
Stats don't really mean a thing when it comes to type matching. Just accept the fact that if Squirt were a Blastoise, she'd still kill Flygon dead.;) Oh, and let's factor character development into this--Squirtle was a LOT more annoying at the beginning of this journey(but not to me, cause I've heard worse rants from JJ). Remember when Flygon completely killed the little guy? She's a lot braver now.^_^

Judai Yuki
30th June 2006, 4:05 PM
Cool crack monkey.

Ashy Boy
30th June 2006, 4:06 PM
^ You MUST stop inserting OT jabs at Jessie every time you post.

The battle was awesome, and probably will be even more awesome when seen in motion. It was right down to the wire; May and Drew both had a sliver of their point bars left at the end. Absol and Combusken must both have uber defences, with the attacks they were taking. And was that a return of Drew's roses at the end?

I'm just confused that why Team Rocket didn't cause any trouble at this Grand Festival, like how they did at the Hoenn GF.

BTW, Jo-Jo, you don't have to get mad at me, just because I mostly talk about Jessie.

EmbersBackUpSinger
30th June 2006, 4:06 PM
I havent seen this yet, But it looks Sweet! Ya! May used tuckers Stragites!

Magical Leaf
30th June 2006, 4:30 PM
I bet Eni only showed up because he heard that Ash was beating his monkey.
How greatly disappointed he must have been.

From this picture, this looks like a good episode. I wont comment too much until i've actually seen the episode.

w00t for hissy Harley.

Flamez
30th June 2006, 4:52 PM
its[/i] defences be that strong. On the plus side, Absol slapped it down like the little b*tch that it is. :D [/spoil]

That just made my morning start all well Jo-Jo. I agree 100% that stupid little turtle should have no defense and should still be conisdered a baby and especially when going up against a pokemon like flygon it should get slapped around.
I've seen the pics the part i really liked though was when may got both her pokemon to use the strategy as Tuckers. Don't you guys think though that they went easy on the bar points with may Again. It looked liked from the pics that she was clearly hit with Waterpulse from Absol shouldn't that have drained the little energy she had. And then she used overheat, doesn't that drain energy or something. I dunno it seemed to me like her points weren't taken off right. But that is not my final word cuz i will watch the episode first then give my final word.
Anyways its now time to watch Germany vs. Argentina, pe@ce.

jolteonjak
30th June 2006, 5:20 PM
Why was Max checking the Pokenav at the end of the episode?

skarmachild
30th June 2006, 5:23 PM
Please keep the comments to yourself.

No! You asked and I responded.

sCiZoR_2006
30th June 2006, 5:25 PM
I haven't been too enthused with the Contest world since May's 2nd Contest way back in Houen, but I'll say that this episode was a good one, for a number of reasons.

#1 - May VS Drew. Like everyone else has said, May needed to be victorious against her main rival. This battle really showed how May has grown as a Coordinator, and I think Drew saw this as well. That could've been what his anxiety was all about throughout this GF. Glad to see Flash being put into the anime as well.

Even though I'm not a fan of May's Squirtle, its use of Rapid Spin to evade Absol's Flash was clever. Even better was Combusken's use of Fire Spin to block Absol's Slash so Squirtle to get a clear shot at Flygon, which surprised the HELL out of Drew. Don't know about anyone else, but it felt real good to see Absol knock Squirtle out using Iron Tail.

I was hoping Combusken would have used its Blaze ability instead of learning Overheat. I wish she took Absol down with her Sky Uppercut, instead of the time running out.

#2 Ash's battle/capture with Aipom. What made it interesting was that Aipom uses its tail to execute all of its major attacks (Swift, Iron Tail, Focus Punch). It also made a "victory" sign when it first knocked Pikachu back with Focus Punch. It sure has Ash's old cockiness. There was a crowd of people that (I assume) was watch the GF from the big-screens outside. They grouped around Ash while he and Pikachu battled Aipom, and cheered for him when Aipom was caught. Had to love that.

#3 May crying when she lost. Kinda jerked a tear from me as well; I felt her pain. She got a boost of confidence after beating her long-time rival and was dead-set on making it to that Ribbon Cup. It would've hurt anyone to be knocked out, with virtually no effort, in your next match. I agree with CyberCubed - Saori should've used Lapras instead of Slowbro. At the same token, May should've gone with another Pokemon other than Combusken. The evolved Starter seemed to have taken massive damage last round...I know Eevee's Shadow Ball would've came in handy somehow.

----

Anyway, the writers know damn well they could've stretched the Grand Festival for another episode instead of giving us a filler about Aipom and "the king", but whatever.

Almighty Zard
30th June 2006, 5:43 PM
After seeing the pictures i can say that May's win was still cheap, but not as cheap as i first thought it out to be, And more importantly i don't think i ever seen Ash get that excited while battling a prospective capture before, i mean maybe afterwords like he did with Caterpie, but never before, nice having a Tucker reference, and why in the name of heck did Scott show up, does he just like to show up to make people beleive he truly is a stalker, or did he just come to inform Ash of where the pyramid is now, who knows what this guy thinks.

Serebii
30th June 2006, 5:44 PM
He appeared to tell Ash about the Pyramid

Pika Hikari KT
30th June 2006, 5:44 PM
I was hoping Combusken would have used its Blaze ability instead of learning Overheat. I wish she took Absol down with her Sky Uppercut, instead of the time running out.
Ack--Overheat. Too many Fire types learn that these days...Blaze would have been friggin' awesome looking.

#2 Ash's battle/capture with Aipom. What made it interesting was that Aipom uses its tail to execute all of its major attacks (Swift, Iron Tail, Focus Punch). It also made a "victory" sign when it first knocked Pikachu back with Focus Punch. It sure has Ash's old cockiness. There was a crowd of people that (I assume) was watch the GF from the big-screens outside. They grouped around Ash while he and Pikachu battled Aipom, and cheered for him when Aipom was caught. Had to love that.
Heh, that's pretty cool. But I'll have to look at the last eppie's pics again, because Aipom looked really badly drawn this time IMO.

He appeared to tell Ash about the Pyramid
And it is in...?(I'm hoping for Vermillion myself--doesn't seem right for it to be in crowded Celadon City)

MasterJedi
30th June 2006, 5:45 PM
Was Scott telling Ash the location of the Battle Pyramid at the end? It looked like he was talking to Ash, Brock and Max while Max had his Pokenav out at the end so I'm assuming he did but you can't tell that from pictures.

The Big Al
30th June 2006, 5:49 PM
It's be said on BMGf but I'll see it here. Aipom needs to die. It's always been annoying and it's part of the group in Ash's team.

Other than that, some kick butt though cheap fighting for the entire episode. Though they could have put more into the Saori battle.

Pete the Unstoppable
30th June 2006, 5:59 PM
Personally, I am glad Saori (however u spell it) won. Its obvious she's been a cooridinator for a long time, how else can u win with a butterfree. I saw the pictures and May was a SORE LOSER! Who cries over losing a Pokemon contest, she is the only person I have ever seen cry in the anime, she didn't cry in the last Grand Festival and now she cries in this one. I do feel a LITTLE bad for her though, she should've stolen ash's snorlax and said her munchlax evolved, she shoulda acted like harley, except, Ash is a trainer and not a coordinator so if she stole one of Ash's Pokemon, she would've won, then again she doesn't cheat like my friend who turned of the game when I killed his Alakazam, oh well, they are never gonna make May win until she is like 90 years old. At least Drew was defeated suprisingly since he wasn't using the weak Pokemon Roselia.

Jo-Jo
30th June 2006, 6:01 PM
Roselia? Weak?? *has heart attack*

That makes me feel better, actually. May has still never beaten Roselia. ^_^

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
30th June 2006, 6:04 PM
Heh, anyone catch the Magikarp salesman with the group of people watching Ash capture Aipom?

Jo-Jo
30th June 2006, 6:04 PM
Oh, so that's where he was! I heard he was in it. LMAO. I love that guy.

Torkoal Stu
30th June 2006, 6:08 PM
So basically they decided to make her better then Ash, finishing in the Top 4 rather then the Top 8 again. Shows favoratisim for her doesn't.
Nope:

* There are more people in league's than Grand Festivals.

* Contests =/= Battles. So you can't really compare there two.

WOW May got thrashed by Saori, but her battle against Drew looked pretty fair IMO. Since Ice beats Flygon x4 so you can't say it wasn't fair.

And I lol'd when I suddenly saw a picture of Tucker, but then it was clear with the fire and water mix thing.

GOD! Make up your mind, first you said in another thread that Team Rocket should stay out of the way in important battles, and they did now you're saying that Jessie should of stolen the Ribbon Cup.

Well I have news for you, CHARACTERS CAN CHANGE!! Like in the Saffron contest Jessie didn't cheat and actually complimented May I hear. You can't run around letting your hate for Team Rocket fuel your lame reasoning to wha they should do. Jessie and James don't have to steal everything they see, is there anything wrong with them staying out of the battle so May and Drew can fight fairly?

No there isn't. I'm glad Team Rocket were out of the way so we could focus on the battle.

Am I the only one who thought all the strangely coloured screens and the half screens kinda ruined the animation flow in this episode? And they attacks seemed to make explosions a lot o_o;

I'm just confused that why Team Rocket didn't cause any trouble at this Grand Festival, like how they did at the Hoenn GF.

BTW, Jo-Jo, you don't have to get mad at me, just because I mostly talk about Jessie.
Maybe characters can change? >_>

And she's not made cause you always talk about Jessie, its the way you character bash her a lot of the time.

I miss Roselia, how come Drew never uses it anymore? Is she too big for him now? :/

As for Aipom, as long as it does something i'll be ok.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
30th June 2006, 6:11 PM
I seen the pics, and Drew vs. May battle takes about half the episode. I so glad May FINALLY beats Drew, so happy for her. But loses the next one obviously no big surprise there. The battle looked really intense so I'm not going really judge much especially Squirtle beating Flygon??? NOt gonna say much. And May crying??? I wonder either say cried of her loss, or the pressure she was in. I know after beating Drew, I bet she couldn't keep up with Soari, the girl name. Yay for May.

Ash catches an Aipom, wow not big surprise either. Hope it gonna be useful.

Sorry to ask, but where the Grand Festival takes place, I haven't been paying attention lately.

Umi Mizuno
30th June 2006, 6:14 PM
I just saw the episode and it was a bit meh. Absol so kicked that turtle right where I wanted it to. *______* The scene where Drew lost is here ( he took it quite well too ):

http://i3.*******.com/1692qso.gif
http://i3.*******.com/1692qso.gif

May crying was pretty shallow to me. =/ She should've been over crying the first time she entered a contest. I mean she got to the semi-finals and yet the writers decide to make her cry? Disgraceful. >>

I still find May beating Drew this region was kind of unbelievable. =/ If it had been one more region, many people wouldn't be complaining and it would've been much more believable. We didn't even get to see Drew enter in any contest whatsoever besides the GF and he gets beaten already. *sigh*

WHAT HAPPEND TO ROSELIA? >> First it takes steriods now it's in a rehab center? Gosh, I want that thing back so bad. :<

I find it really agrivating that Harley did nothing in that entire episode. O_o What he did this time fails in comparison to what he did last time.

Aipom.... needs... to.. die. >> God that thing is annoying. Do we really want Ash to capture a pokemon with a hand sticking out of it's *** that has a fetish for hats?

Overall the episode was a bit, blunt save for Abol kicking Squirtle and the AbsolCombusken battle. :)

Sorry to ask, but where the Grand Festival takes place, I haven't been paying attention lately.
It takes place at the Indigo Plateau

Kabuto
30th June 2006, 6:22 PM
Good episode. Surprisingly May used a strategy Tucker used, never thought I'd see that. Glad Combusken got the win on Drew's Absol though. I'm also glad Saori won the Festival. As for Aipom, I'm curious on what it can possibly even do besides being there for comedic reasons since I don't see it battling Brandon anytime soon.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
30th June 2006, 6:34 PM
It takes place at the Indigo Plateau
Okay, thanks, I wasn't too sure.

Pete the Unstoppable
30th June 2006, 6:38 PM
The only reason I am happy that May beat Drew is cause she was using Squirtle. If she had used Squirtle against Saori, my feelings about her losing would be different. Overall, she has been through 2 reigons, but I don't think that would be enough to defeat Saori, and where the heck is Robert, OMFG, please tell me he isn't still in Hoenn. (wonders if he went to thin Shinou or Johto Reigon).

Darkstorm16
30th June 2006, 6:55 PM
I wonder where the Battle Pyramid is now.

The Great Butler
30th June 2006, 7:23 PM
Wheeeeeeeee, just saw the pics, looks like it was an AWESOME episode.

May finally bested Drew, after all this time. And it wasn't one of her 00bered out wins either, it was a to-the-wire close one all the way. Nice.

Go Saori :D Here's to her returning in Shinou.

I TOLD YOU ASH WOULD CATCH AIPOM!! And not only that, the little monkey doesn't seem like all that bad a fighter after all. Even as such I think he caught it to set up a new D/P evolution being unveiled.

Scott appearing was delightfully random. As if we needed any more evidence that he is stalking May......

Oh yes, and nice touch with the flashback to the Tucker episode.

All in all, I think it's safe to say this Grand Festival was head and shoulders above the Hoenn one.

The Doctor
30th June 2006, 7:28 PM
I agree with t3h Butler, this Grand Festival r00ls and pwns the Hoenn one. OK, enough of that speak- I feel so dirty. *hurriedly scrubs fingers*

I liked it for so many reasons; Ash catching Aipom; May winning in a tense situation; and Saori. She's easily one of my favourite characters because of her down-to-earth-ness, for lack of better word.

Still, Combusken with Overheat felt like a pointless tack on.

Blazken
30th June 2006, 7:40 PM
I saw the pic look like a good ep but i don't get the hole crying thing she was find in the first one and I think combusk should of take down flygon.
Can't wait to see this one

Chatsy
30th June 2006, 7:44 PM
Wow.

The Magikarp Salesman makes a cameo too!

http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/458/AG260.jpg

This episode keeps getting better and better.

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th June 2006, 7:49 PM
WHOA! A hidden cameo for once, awesome!

Almighty Zard
30th June 2006, 8:18 PM
Wow.

http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/458/AG260.jpg

This episode keeps getting better and better.

he looks kinda stunned in the picture, bet he heard about Aipom stealing hats from people and came to catch it and use it in some way to scam people out of money, but was stunned that Ash caught it.

HoennMaster
30th June 2006, 9:34 PM
Well, according to other people on various sites and forums. May and Drew battled in the Top 4 and May and Saori fought in the final match. By looking at the episode pics and Top 16 bracket, this looks true. Anyone care to correct me on this in case I'm wrong.

Besides that, I would have loved to see May's (full) battle with Saori. What was Drew saying to her after he beat her?

Pika Hikari KT
30th June 2006, 10:08 PM
Wow.

Holy karp, it IS him!XD Now where was he during the last Grand Festival?:D

S.Suikun
1st July 2006, 12:36 AM
Quickfire talkback!
- Iwane = Animation goddess
- Is Flygon raping Absol? 0_o
- Tucker flashback - Victory for continuity.
- Harley’s making a scene.
- Squirtle KO’s Flygon. Great. But Squirtle gets wailed against the wall by Absol, so it’s not too bad.
- Water Pulse is the new Iron Tail. Or is it the new Solar Beam? I forget.
- Another dagger in Torkoal’s coffin!
- May’s points should be gone now.
- Ash and Max hugging? IN BED NOW!
- Is this the first time we’ve heard the vocal Spurt played in an episode?
- These are different lyrics, I swear. Probably from the full version. Say, a bit off-topic, but isn’t the Spurt CD out now in Japan?
- Oh snap! Magikarp salesman cameo!
- Looks like that crappy Giant Slaking filler is no longer a filler.
- Eww! It’s the stalker! And we’re not even at a Battle Frontier facility! Maybe he’s stalking May now?
- They’re only showing the tail end of May vs. Saori? THIS is why the GF needed to be 4 parts long.
- Bigger blowout than Ash vs. Anabel.
- Everyone’s applauding at the ceremony except Harley, who is simply looking down.

PkmnBreederLuke
1st July 2006, 12:51 AM
Well, according to other people on various sites and forums. May and Drew battled in the Top 4 and May and Saori fought in the final match. By looking at the episode pics and Top 16 bracket, this looks true. Anyone care to correct me on this in case I'm wrong.

Besides that, I would have loved to see May's (full) battle with Saori. What was Drew saying to her after he beat her?

May lost in the Semi Finals. If they were fighting in the Finals itself I think they would have made a bigger deal about it all, d'ya not think?

Either way, May lost in semis, not the final.

Umi Mizuno
1st July 2006, 12:53 AM
What was Drew saying to her after he beat her?
Don't you mean what did he say after she beat him? He didn't say anything. Just nodded. In the room he complimented her on the battle.

Blazken
1st July 2006, 1:19 AM
Dose any one know why May was crying because i don't think it was just the lost?

The Big Al
1st July 2006, 1:23 AM
I don't get why they had to have May suddenly burst into tears after losing. She hadn't done that since her second contest loss in Hoenn.

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st July 2006, 1:26 AM
It's that time of the month again......

Time for random speculation of a new ending soon with the end of the GF!
We should get a new one soon!

Flamez
1st July 2006, 1:59 AM
Seen the episode. I wasn't all that thrilled but it was good though.
One thing that was really stupid was that flygon was in the air and squirtle got on top of it. May told squirtle to use bubble, but then drew ordered absol to hit it with Razor wind but may told combusken to hit his attack with firespin, which he did canceling the attack before it could hit squirtle. Now while all this is happening flygon is just standing there waiting for squirtle to hit it. And it does that then it comes in for a close up ice beam attack, while it was charging at flygon, flygon should've use steel wing/wing attack to knock the turtle to mexico or something. Really stupid, flygon was shown to be just an average pokemon while it is actually alot better then that.

I love combusken but i have to say that Gravy was 100% correct. That they would even make combuskens victory look cheap and they most certainly did. May used about 5 overheat attacks and for some reason the second one did more damage then the first judging from the points. Combusken got hit with a Waterpulse and the damage bar hardly moved. Combusken uses i believe his last over heat which gets sucked up by water pulse and then it crashes onto combusken and yet again very little damage is shown. I don't like that at all, dont get me wrong I love combusken and may and despise drew but one thing i said before was that I want may to beat him normally cuz thats how hes beaten her like 4 times or something. But anyways it was still nice to see Combusken being the last one standing.

Feity
1st July 2006, 3:53 AM
haha, I noticed the Magikarp salesmen too. I rofl'd. The battle was absolutely awsome. Btw, what city did the 'Grande Festibol' take place in?

CyberCubed
1st July 2006, 3:53 AM
It was at the Indigo Plateau.

jolteonjak
1st July 2006, 3:59 AM
One thing that was really stupid was that flygon was in the air and squirtle got on top of it. May told squirtle to use bubble, but then drew ordered absol to hit it with Razor wind but may told combusken to hit his attack with firespin, which he did canceling the attack before it could hit squirtle. Now while all this is happening flygon is just standing there waiting for squirtle to hit it. And it does that then it comes in for a close up ice beam attack, while it was charging at flygon, flygon should've use steel wing/wing attack to knock the turtle to mexico or something. Really stupid, flygon was shown to be just an average pokemon while it is actually alot better then that.

Its called, "in the heat of the moment." hmm..

Combusken uses i believe his last over heat which gets sucked up by water pulse and then it crashes onto combusken and yet again very little damage is shown. I don't like that at all, dont get me wrong I love combusken and may and despise drew but one thing i said before was that I want may to beat him normally cuz thats how hes beaten her like 4 times or something.

I'd say that last Overheat used weakened the power of Water Pulse.

Gravy
1st July 2006, 4:01 AM
I held out from looking at the pictures, and surfing the forums for spoilers. I expected to be mildly disappointed with the inevitable lack-luster battle.
But this was really good.
REALLY good. Gravy totemo HAPPII!

First of all, mucho kudos to Masaki Iwane and the motley animation staff that were put in charge of this episode. The animation was, without a doubt, a major contributing factor to the battle. Usually redundant attacks have never looked so freaking impressive (Combusken's Overheat kicked ***. And that's OVERHEAT I'm talking about), and each an every technique really did look as if it packed a wallop. We're talking pokémon moves that you could just feel the intensity from. Looking at static pictures on a website doesn't do this episode justice at all. If you ever get a chance to watch the battle in action, for the love of god, don't pass it up.

Second, the battle at hand.
There were one or two instances that could be considered cheap. Which, I'm assuming would include Flygon just floating there like a complete dope, and Combusken's rather spontaneous new attack. But I'm overlooking them. We've seen Ash have far more noticeable plot devices stuffed into pretty much every single Frontier Brain battle he's had this saga. Sceptile pulling Solarbeam from nowhere. Recalling Corphish and sending it out again instantly to rid itself of confusion. Looking past any silly little niggles involved during episode, because it really was that enjoyable. For pretty much the entirety, I was on the edge of my seat. The pacing was wonderful, the action was thrilling, the music was godly and the often intolerable 'talking parts' managed to keep their distance just enough so as not to distract from the eye-candy.
Honestly, it's stuff like this that makes me glad I sat through all those unbearable fillers of yesteryear.
The ending to the battle was, imo, perfect. Whilst Haruka did indeed gain the victory, it was only down to her quick thinking and impressive strategies. Absol obviously had a little more strength left in there than Combusken, as it recovered considerably quickly from the Sky Uppercut it received. Combusken meanwhile, struggled to gain it's footing and seemed to be rather exhausted as the timer reached zero. Which tells us a lot about just how strong an opponent Shuu really is. Next time, I'm hoping for a final KO, to determine the strength between the two combatants.
I expected Shuu to be a little downhearted at his loss, but it was actually pleasantly surprising to see how well he took it. Especially his acknowledgement of Haruka’s prowess.
And while it may be somewhat irritating that he didn’t get as much closure for the festival as most had hoped, it doesn’t matter. I’m glad they’re saving future interaction between the two characters for the future episode instead of rying to cram everything in here at once.

Third, Aipom. Now, I'm not fond of Aipom's gimmick, but I love the pokémon itself. And, to break up from the fierce battle before-hand, the capture was a nice change of pace. It wasn't too serious, and there wasn't anything on the line. It was just a fun little distraction to wind the episode down. Aipom fought surprisingly well, and it's dance of glee as Pikachu shook off the Focus Punch delived to it's noggin was pretty amusing. If they could make Aipom mischievous in THAT way, instead of just having it steal random garbage, I'll be happy.

-Harley, with the small cameos he had whilst Kamo-chan was occupied, served me that required dose of hilarity. Seeing our flamboyant friend bust an artery over Haruka's slick performance in the match, as well as his occasional fit on the sidelines was great fun.
BUT WHY WASN’T HIS FRILLY PWETTY HANKIE PINK?!

-Shuu’s battle formation idea was really impressive. Having the two attacks merge into one was great to see, and it really should be utilised a lot more often in double battles.
Also, Haruka actually learning from a Frontier Brain was a nice touch.

-Absol knocking out Squirtle swifter than cheese to a mouse's mouth made me grin from ear to ear. Granted, they could have made it better. Perhaps a close-up of Squirtles head as Iron Tail made contact, before zooming out to a full body shot of each pokémon. Squirtle would be seen reeling from the Iron Tail in slow motion, before the speed is quickly upped as Squirtle flys across the stadium at speeds a Ninjask could only dream of, before POW! Wall'd. But it was still good :p

-Combusken's Overheat made Charizard's assault on Articuno look like a crop o' crap. Seriously, I laughed at how it was leagues ahead of the dragon's efforts.

-Haruka luring Shuu into that trap was pure gold. Poor guy expected Haruka to try for one last Overheat, and BAM! The girl chucks in that sweet lookin' Sky Uppercut.

Phew...I'm done!

Pokemon Fan
1st July 2006, 4:20 AM
"sure, May's Eevee, who has had training, beating a pathetic former Gym Leader who never once even entered a contest, neverless, had a real battle since back he was a Gym Leader with a Marshstomp who suddenly evolved out of nowhere, and had little to NO battle experience was wrong, and the plot devices were on May's side (Marshstomp somehow knew Protect..... when it got absolutely NO training or battle experience whatsoever),
I have no problem with May's victory over Brock, but really Marshstomp DID have some battle experience, just nothing of note, and its normal for a pokemon who has just evolved to be able to use a number of new attacks.

yet, Pikachu and Swellow absorbing tons of volts of electricity that should have KILLED them, then becoming shiny and beating Solrock and Lunatone is "AWESOME!"?!.....
They didn't exactly absorb it as much as they made a field of energy around them, "armor" as it was put, Pikachu's natural resistance to electricity and Swellow's unique resistance to electricity making this possible.

Besides, it looked damn cool.

if any, would be the writers actually basing things off of the games for once, because they've shown nothing but blatant disregard for the type advantages since the very beginning (Pikachu beating Ground types and such bull****)
It really makes sense if you think about it. If the attack is strong enough it should be able to overcome even so-called "immunity." The games, by necessity, make attacks and their effects far too absolute. Hence we have Raikou knocking out a Steelix with an Electric attack.

I'm going to wait patiently and see what Yamato san has to say about this. Especially since Squirtle didn't take the loss in the final round. I do say that all her other pokemon are just as cheap as Squirtle is. But, has it even lost a battle yet, besides the Scizor match which it won shortly after? Thats pretty sad. Oh well, hopefully we'll only see Munchlax and Combusken next season.
Actually it lost badly to Flygon in a previous match.

Flygon is Drews most powerful pokemon, May's Squirtle is a baby, and it doesn't help Squirtles case when you think that most of the contest battles that it's been in, it's been pulling Dues ex wins out of no where, the most horrible one is deffinitely the saffron contest where it beat an Aridos with ONE out of control Ice beam.
Was it ever actually said that Flygon was Drew's strongest? Even then, its never displayed uber power on par with other dragons, in fact extreme power seems to be curbed a bit in Contests in favor of control and style.

And its debateable that Squirtle is a baby at this point, seems to me that starter pokemon grow or mature quickly.

And actually, as I recall, Squirtle beat Ariados with a Ice Beam, followed by blasting it out with a Bubble and then hitting it with a Tackle, during which Ariados had no ability to defend itself or strike back as it slipped and slid (not that I liked Squirtle's victory either, it was just not as bad as some make it out to be).

Ok so it has an advantage but people you have to remember that the anime and the games are two different things. You also have to take level into account because if you dont then you cant justify Ash's pikachu taking out rock type pokemon using thunder. The same with Grovyle taking out Altaria. Level is important, and no way in hell can any one say that squirtle is at a higher level then Flygon. Im not saying that advantage doesn't matter at all but still Squirtle beating flygon is just plain cheap.
Except that young pokemon level up faster than older ones (not that Squirtle was near Flygon but it does narrow the gap), and they set up its Ice Beam from the start to be unusually strong. You have to admit, taking an Ice Beam right in the face at point blank range like that would of been enough to make even Lance's Dragonite feel some pain I think. Of course, I know the main contention if Squirtle surviving the battle long enough to deliver that attack, I just like to think it had like 1 HP left in game terms.

WHAT HAPPEND TO ROSELIA? >> First it takes steriods now it's in a rehab center? Gosh, I want that thing back so bad. :<
Wasn't it appealing or battling in one of the previous episodes? I could of sworn I saw it...

One thing that was really stupid was that flygon was in the air and squirtle got on top of it. May told squirtle to use bubble, but then drew ordered absol to hit it with Razor wind but may told combusken to hit his attack with firespin, which he did canceling the attack before it could hit squirtle. Now while all this is happening flygon is just standing there waiting for squirtle to hit it. And it does that then it comes in for a close up ice beam attack, while it was charging at flygon, flygon should've use steel wing/wing attack to knock the turtle to mexico or something.
If you use logic like that in the portrayal of pokemon battles or anime in general than you'll be quite frustrated time and again (I've tried it). You just have to accept that when the scene requires it it will take ages for things to fall or move or an opponent will simply stand there for seemingly forever. Of course, I'm exaggeratting a bit but its amazing the conversations that can occur in split-seconds in anime. ^_^

I love combusken but i have to say that Gravy was 100% correct. That they would even make combuskens victory look cheap and they most certainly did. May used about 5 overheat attacks and for some reason the second one did more damage then the first judging from the points. Combusken got hit with a Waterpulse and the damage bar hardly moved. Combusken uses i believe his last over heat which gets sucked up by water pulse and then it crashes onto combusken and yet again very little damage is shown. I don't like that at all, dont get me wrong I love combusken and may and despise drew but one thing i said before was that I want may to beat him normally cuz thats how hes beaten her like 4 times or something. But anyways it was still nice to see Combusken being the last one standing.
This is the sorest point for me, as Blaze would have been so much more appropriate, doing most everything Overheat did and being more original. However, as for the attacks, I don't know as I've only seen pictures but it looked like Combusken's heated body from the Overheat use may have negated a lot of damage from the Waterpulse, which could be why it lost so few points. I say this because it looks like its body is steaming after its hit with the Waterpulse.

Regardless of such details though, I'm glad May won by a very narrow margin and there was no knockout.

And believe me, its perfectly reasonable for May to be more upset with this loss than her previous Grand Festival. But more than anything I think it was just a reflection of May's very emotional character, she frequently tears up over Max being in danger and stuff. Not to be sexist but it makes sense that a Grand Festival as heated as this one would have put enough pressure on her to cry a little bit at her quite staggering loss.

Indeed that is a point to make, that being in her loss in the Hoenn festival she did fairly well against Drew, getting in a spectacular hit, while against Saori it seems she was hardly able to do anything, thus the loss hit her worse. Its been true throughout the series that such losses hurt characters more than normal ones.

CyberCubed
1st July 2006, 4:24 AM
Don't you people remember that Combusken did a number on Flygon in the Hoenn GF? Not only did it score a direct Sky Uppercut on it, but it also used Fire Spin to completely defend against Flygon's Hyperbeam and Roselia's Solarbeam AT THE SAME TIME. Combusken completely fended off two powerful attacks with only Fire Spin last time.

I'm still inclined to think that Roselia is Drew's strongest Pokemon. May still needs to take that thing down someday.

MidnightScott
1st July 2006, 4:56 AM
Aww, that was a pretty good episode. I downloaded it this morning and just got done. I pisses me off that they made May lose again >_>; - if she returns for Shinou she better win, lol. I'm sure she will since she is gonna be in the 9th Movie, making it her 4th AG movie :D

But yeah, I did notice that - Saori having 3 Ash Pokémon, lol.

I just hope that May continues - I like her alot more now :)

But I just didnt care that Ash caught an Aipom, I think Aipom is kinda pointless...but that's just me.

Now onto the fillers until Ash battles Brandon - watch, I bet the writers will make him win and then make him lose in Shinou -_-;

~Scott;229;

alyssa
1st July 2006, 4:59 AM
i can not belive that may defeated drew! i want to see it right now

Jikkle
1st July 2006, 5:56 AM
She cried because she lost. The first GF you could say she came in determined to win but deep down with no expectations to win so losing while disappointing wasn't really a surpise. This GF your expectations would be much higher and with Drew's defeat giving May a huge personal emotional high and confidence boost to be quickly and completely shattered by easily being dispatched by Saori would cause anyone to feel emotionaly drained and dissapointed. You have to remember she's supposed to be a pre teen girl so they tend to get more emotional about things and cry ;)

Flamez
1st July 2006, 6:17 AM
This is the sorest point for me, as Blaze would have been so much more appropriate, doing most everything Overheat did and being more original. However, as for the attacks, I don't know as I've only seen pictures but it looked like Combusken's heated body from the Overheat use may have negated a lot of damage from the Waterpulse, which could be why it lost so few points. I say this because it looks like its body is steaming after its hit with the Waterpulse.

As you said you've only seen the pictures. She used overheat 5 times, and somehow the second one did more damage then the first, when in reality it gets weaker each turn and this point has been stated several times in the anime. Water Pulse crushed combusken's firespin at first and then nailed it and you saw only a slight of energy drain.
ALSO TO NOTE: is that Drew told absol to use razor wind and it did striking combusken to the floor, at that moment you saw mays energy drain to the last portion (ex: maybe 7%).
Right after that Drew ordered water pulse, Combusken used its 5th and final overheat but the water pulse sucked it up and hit combusken head on. Now you would expect combusken to go down but still i know combusken is tough and it could hang on but what i dont understand at that point is that May's energy was stored to the point when she hadn't been hit with the razorwind. What i mean is that if her life was at 7% you would expect for it to fall at 2 or 3% but her life energy was at about 12% or something and it got into 7% AGAIN, that doesn't make sense its like her energy recovered or didn't move at all. And remember she won the match with only alittle more energy then drew. Right there it shows something is wrong. You have to watch the episode yourself to see what i mean.

Also something to note is that at the end of the last episode I believe May had taken alittle damage already. At the start of this episode combusken was hit with razor wind again and it knocked back into squirtle as well. Now remember Drew still has all his energy. Then he ordered flygon to use flamethrower and combusken used fire spin, both attacks hit. Now that is 3 attacks that hit may and one attack that hit drew. And yet right after that Drews energy is less then May's, wtf.

See im not so worried about it learning overheat, i have no problem with the attack. Its just that well the second one doing more damage then the first is dumb. May's energy at the beginning is more then drews while he hit her with more attacks and those attacks put combusken and squirtle on the floor and they were shivering. And ofcourse as i explained on the top the end where her energy automatically recovers or doesn't move at all is just so cheap. Watch the episode for yourself, and you will see.

CyberCubed
1st July 2006, 6:40 AM
Finally saw the episode myself, it was very good even though the ending of the ep was a bit rushed.

I'm not too annoyed by Squirtle beating Flygon, it certainly didn't go down as bad as I thought it would. Getting in a close-range bubble and Ice beam, (the latter which is 4x against Flygon) would be enough to do it in. And hey, Absol slams Squritle straight into a wall right after, so it gets its payback.

Combusken Vs. Absol was awesome. And I did enjoy the fact that May won only because of time running out and not by a KO. That way it seems like Drew might have still beaten her if they weren't under a time limit.

Ash capturing Aipom was ok, but couldn't they have just saved that over for the next episode? I would have rathered more time be devoted to May Vs. Saori. What I saw of that battle I liked, but it went by too quickly unfortunately. God damnit, we definitely need at least a 4 episode Grand Festival next time to see each battle fully. I honestly don't know why they didn't do it this time.

And hell, Saori sure was phased out quickly at the end. For a character with so much build up in the first two episodes, we just see her beat May, then hold the Ribbon cup, and then aside from a background shot...she's done! WTF? I would have expected more closure regarding Saori, but they just really pushed her out of the way at the end.

Also surprised that Team Rocket didn't do anything either, although I guess that's a good thing for time reasons.

God, the May crying scene was my favorite part of the episode. Does that make me a sadist? I liked the scene where May waved goodbye to Drew too, glad they didn't try to rush his closure into the end of this episode. I'll look foward to "Rivals forever" in 5 weeks and see where Drew's character goes from there.

Torkoal Stu
1st July 2006, 8:33 AM
I don't get why they had to have May suddenly burst into tears after losing. She hadn't done that since her second contest loss in Hoenn.
Maybe because May came so far this time, then lost.

Yamato-san
1st July 2006, 12:02 PM
Actually it lost badly to Flygon in a previous match.

I wouldn't really count that as a loss. Rather than getting its a** kicked in an all-out KO, it goes running off the field after one attack (mind if I borrow this Jo-Jo? ^^) like the little ***** that it is.

Anyway, Zenigame KOing Flygon seemed believable to some extent. Flygon did receive its share of damage throughout the match, and there was a huge elemental advantage (don't know if quadruple-damage weaknesses have been confirmed to exist in the anime or not, but a type advantage's there nontheless). However, as was pointed out, it's friggin bulls*** that Flygon's just standing there like a moron. Absol and Wakashamo's attack manage to cancel out that onslaught of Bubbles. Does it take that opportunity to fly out of Zenigame's range? Nope, it just sits there until an Ice Beam comes at it from a mile away, and it still sits there and takes it (I think Wierd Al Yankovic words it best, "like a cow looks at an oncoming train").

Plus, you know, it's f***in' Haruka's Zenigame. I'm not gonna give this little s*** any sort of leeway, lest of all getting a victory against one of Shuu's most powerful Pokemon (or any victory, for that matter). However, I loved seeing Absol friggin' wail on it immediately afterwards, and my dream of seeing the damn thing get its a** kicked for this Grand Festival had been fulfilled. Hell, it didn't get to have a victory pose, neither ^^ (though, seeing it on the "WINNER" screen for the 5th time in the Battle Frontier was annoying, but at least it didn't get to appear again throughout the episode aside from a scene of it eating with Wakashamo).

On the plus side, Absol slapped it down like the little b*tch that it is. :D

7. Why is Squirtle allowed to live?

Jo-Jo FTF***in'W! ^^

Getting one of my most hateable of hates out of the way, I was let down by Wakashamo learning Overheat. Geez, first Lizardon, now this, are they trying to take away the one thing the poor guy was good for? On the plus side, the writers show that they didn't dump him only to be forgotten. When Satoshi recognizes the attack, he makes a reference to his own Cotoise. The Heath flashback was another nice bit of continuity for this episode, and it's about time we see Haruka taking pointers from Satoshi's gym battles (BTW, did anyone notice Satoshi was doing most of the explaining? Looks like Takeshi's role has further dwindled). Still on continuity, Saori's new additions make her seem like such a nod to Satoshi's former Pokemon, it's kinda creepy. And heh... at first I was afraid Wakashamo was being deus ex in the way it seemed to pull off continual Overheats, but fortunately, Shuu brought up its flaw, and its last usage was just barely enough to help lighten the blow from Water Pulse (though, why use a weakened Overheat? Why not Fire Spin, or that Flamethrower it used in "Deoxys Crisis"? But as I think Gravy mentioned, probably was to lure Shuu into thinking she's purposely abusing the attack).

Other than some of the negative points I already mentioned, lack of Harley (though, his few moments, biting his handkercheif and kinda standing there scowling during the award ceremony, were certainly noteable XD), and the condensing of the Saori battle at the end, and lack of closure with Saori (though, I wouldn't say she was dropped entirely... is it just me, or is she the one who handed Haruka that rose?), it was a pretty great episode. Haruka finally beat Shuu, the Grand Festival didn't end up being a total repeat of last year despite the rival match-ups, Aipom proved its worth in a battle before being caught (though I'll still be p*ssed if it upstages Jukain at all), Haruka moved up to Top Four, and the contest battles for the Grand Festival continue to be well-written (besides that Flygon bit). I also noticed that this episode didn't seem to use much of those damnedable swirly-eyed KOs, if at all (something that all of AG could've used more of). Very worthwhile episode which managed to greatly exceed my expectations from when I first heard the episode title announced.

Gravy
1st July 2006, 12:36 PM
See im not so worried about it learning overheat, i have no problem with the attack. Its just that well the second one doing more damage then the first is dumb.
Combusken fired off that Overheat at point blank range, directly into Absol's face, making it recieve the full force of the attack. Absol blatantly had it's guard down at this point, considering both it and Shuu figured that the prior Flash attack had temporarally blinded Combusken again. Therefore it didn't see that attack coming at all, so it's no surprise that Absol took that third Overheat the way it did.
You also seem to be overlooking the fact that Absol was able to shake off the flames quite quickly after being engulfed by the them. Shuu even made a note of this right afterwards by explaining how Overheat's power decreases each time it's used.

...and while I'm in the mood for some post editing here;

Jo-Jo, I've got to ask. When exactly did you muster up all this hatred towards Haruka's Squirtle? Before now, I always thought you were either indifferent to it, or just didn't care at all ^^;

Rizardon
1st July 2006, 12:59 PM
Did anyone else get all tingly in the battle between Pikachu and
Aipom? Must have been the Intro theme playing and switching over to
instrumental when Ash caught Aipom. (Where o where can i download the instrumental theme.)

Ashy Boy
1st July 2006, 1:41 PM
Jo-Jo, I've got to ask. When exactly did you muster up all this hatred towards Haruka's Squirtle? Before now, I always thought you were either indifferent to it, or just didn't care at all ^^;
Yeah Jo-Jo went at me for always bashing Jessie.

Gravy
1st July 2006, 2:03 PM
Yeah Jo-Jo went at me for always bashing Jessie.
That's because you never shut-up about it and bring it into the fray for no real reason what-so-ever.

Ashy Boy
1st July 2006, 2:52 PM
That's because you never shut-up about it and bring it into the fray for no real reason what-so-ever.
OK, I'm sorry I mentioned that.

CyberCubed
1st July 2006, 5:04 PM
Heh, looks like Jo-Jo hopped aboard the Squirtle hate-train as soon as it took down Flygon. She always seemed indifferent to the guy in the past, even defending it on several occasions. Ah well, if this does not finally condemn Squirtle into the fiery pits of hell, I don't know what will.

I will be astonished if Squirtle continues to Shinou however, I'm pretty certain it'll be left behind because it has nothing to advertise next region. And if May left behind prized Pokemon like Beautifly who she started her Contest quest with, why won't Squirtle suffer the same fate?

Anyone notice that Combusken/Munchlax seem to be May's signature Pokemon in the Grand Festival? Not only do Combusken and Munchlax both do appeals, but they're the only one of her Pokemon that get two matches. Little Eevee only gets one little battle, they really must be saving this guy for Shinou as well.

Torkoal Stu
1st July 2006, 5:07 PM
Yeah Eevee was kinda neglected in the Grand Festival. It only got one contest though so I guess it's being sent to the next region with May.

Rudoku
1st July 2006, 5:24 PM

Yeah, you'd think that they'd ruin another episode like they've been doing since episode 3. Who cares? To be honest, I never cared for Shuu and he annoyed me by just being there, so I'm glad his Flygon was taken out by Squirtle. And I loathe Squirtle.

S.Suikun
1st July 2006, 7:02 PM
Despite being a "baby" Pokemon, I am now willing enough to call Munchlax a powerhouse by this point. Considering both its relation to Snorlax and its relatively extensive training, the thing can really dish out some abuse without it being considered really unfair. Yeah, it's annoying outside of battle, but I really don't mind it being second in line behind Combusken.

And on a somewhat related topic, Pokesho has finally gone back to doing those comic things. This new one's pretty funny (albeit a bit sick), and the blank expression on Aipom's face is priceless:
http://www.pokesho.com/4/doragon.html

CyberCubed
1st July 2006, 7:05 PM
LMAO! Pokesho wins again! :D

You've gotta wonder how the trainers don't get hit by the attacks when they're standing RIGHT THERE too. Ah, good times.

Shining_Espeon
1st July 2006, 7:32 PM
MAY BEAT DREW!

I was hoping for it. I knew she'd lose to Saori, though.

What the helll was going on with Harley when May started to win? That whole public scene in front of the other coordinators?

ReallyOcean
1st July 2006, 7:42 PM
The Game isn't a guide to the anime remember
So it could actually be WEAKER than in the games.

Chatsy
1st July 2006, 7:49 PM
What did Scott say during May's battle against Saori?
They apparently talked about Ash since his named was mentioned a couple of times but I can't make out why they would start talking about him when May had her arse handed to her on a stick :/

I must applaude May's VA - Her crying was so convincing I almost cried too o.o

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
1st July 2006, 8:03 PM
Despite being a "baby" Pokemon, I am now willing enough to call Munchlax a powerhouse by this point. Considering both its relation to Snorlax and its relatively extensive training, the thing can really dish out some abuse without it being considered really unfair. Yeah, it's annoying outside of battle, but I really don't mind it being second in line behind Combusken.

Have to agree with this. Munchlax has been fighting hard for a long time, and it's developed quite well as a character. Munchlax got shot down by Harley, and since then, it's been seen training and such, finally defeating a Harley Pokémon in the end. Nice revenge(though Octillery might've suited it better). I also like how Munchlax has yet to pull a Dues Ex on us. Squirtle doesn't even need explanation, and Eevee's been teetering on the edge just a bit. Munchlax, though, has always came from with fair wins, which is quite an accomplishment. So, congrats to Munchlax, IMO, for being awesome and believable in battle.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

---Kyogre007---
1st July 2006, 8:26 PM
The only thing I would like to mention is that it's the best episode I've ever seen. I would also like to say that I absolutely agree with CyberCubed that the best part of the episode was May crying.

PkmnBreederLuke
1st July 2006, 8:28 PM
Just watched the episode, seeing Zenigame get walled was priceless.

Is that Razord Wind that Absol knows, the one where it uses it's horn thing?

Also it's hard watching it in Japanese, anyone here who knows Japanese, can I just ask how you learned? Was it reading dictionaries and books etc. or do you just pick it up along the way? I don't intend on learning in a day, but just so I can maybe translate bits a little bit more easily if any. Cheers.

Jo-Jo
1st July 2006, 9:34 PM
I didn't use to care enough to hate it. Then it beat Flygon. So now it must die.

(Robert beat Flygon too, but he doesn't need to die because he is Wise and Good, and has pretty hair.)

This GF gives me a new appreciation for the Arcanine ep. It foreshadowed Squirtle beating Flygon and Drew's Absol very nicely. Even though Squirtle sucks, it was good to at least see that match-up followed through. In Hoenn, they made a big deal out of Beautifly VS Roselia in Slateport, and then never bothered letting them battle again.

malfunctionedbob
1st July 2006, 9:43 PM
I cant believe that May would lose to Drew after all this time!

Crimsonmon
1st July 2006, 9:45 PM
I have to say, the attack's animation throughout the whole episode were above the level that we normally get stuck with, especially May's Tucker move and Aipom's fancy CG Swift. In fact, the whole Aipom fight was quite good, if all if his fights are all of this level of quailty I'll grow to like the little guy quite quickly, plus it reminded me to track down Spurt's single that just came out.

And where exactly is the Pyramid now? I can't quite make out where Scott said it was, even after rewinding a few times.

PkmnBreederLuke
1st July 2006, 9:53 PM
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I do have to agree that the animation was spot on for this episode. I also loved it when Wakashamo got planted with Razor Wind in midair, just looked awesome. Then Zenigame getting absolutely walled with Iron Tail was pretty awesome as well.

Just wish I could translate it a bit, but I wouldn't know where to begin with trying to learn any of this stuff.

Kthleen
1st July 2006, 9:56 PM
Is that Razord Wind that Absol knows, the one where it uses it's horn thing?Yes, that was Kamaitachi, aka Razor Wind.

Also it's hard watching it in Japanese, anyone here who knows Japanese, can I just ask how you learned? Was it reading dictionaries and books etc. or do you just pick it up along the way? I don't intend on learning in a day, but just so I can maybe translate bits a little bit more easily if any. Cheers.Two classes and a dictionary for me. Got some kanji cards, too.

As for the new location of the Pyramid, I've found something:

I hear Enishida say something that sounds like "fenneru." I think he says, in total, "Jindai wa ima Fennerudan yo iseki ni iru yo" (iseki means "ruins"), to which Satoshi responds by asking "Fennerudan ni?" Enishida basically says that Jindai's now at this F place which has ruins, and Satoshi is unfamiliar with the name, so he repeats it. Masato then says, "Sekiei kougen no oku da! Koko kara chikai yo" (something like, "It's in the depths of the Indigo Plateau! That's nearby!").
I hope this gives somebody a clue as to what they're talking about.

PkmnBreederLuke
1st July 2006, 10:11 PM
Classes are a bit of an impossibility for me, but I'll have to see about getting in a dictionary. I don't have any money right now because I just spent it all on a DS Lite, Pokemon Emerald and Metroid Prime: Hunters - so meh, will have to give it a bit of a wait.

Hopefully with a little help and encouragement - and a dictionary, I'll be able to translate, who knows, a sentance? ¬_¬

Crimsonmon
1st July 2006, 10:59 PM
As for the new location of the Pyramid, I've found something:

I hear Enishida say something that sounds like "fenneru." I think he says, in total, "Jindai wa ima Fennerudan yo iseki ni iru yo" (iseki means "ruins"), to which Satoshi responds by asking "Fennerudan ni?" Enishida basically says that Jindai's now at this F place which has ruins, and Satoshi is unfamiliar with the name, so he repeats it. Masato then says, "Sekiei kougen no oku da! Koko kara chikai yo" (something like, "It's in the depths of the Indigo Plateau! That's nearby!").

Thanks, I guess I missed him saying 'iseki', and as I didn't know what the hell 'Fennerudan' was, I was thinking that it was talking about one of the many filler towns from the past few episodes.

PkmnBreederLuke
1st July 2006, 11:13 PM
Can anyone give me a translation or idea of what Takeshi was talking about after the battle.

Wakashamo used overheat into the water pulse (?) and Takeshi was saying something about it. Now just from watching I felt it had something to do with using overheat into the water pulse (if thats what it was) weakened it down enough for Wakashamo not to faint from it, or it provided a heat spot of sorts for Wakashamo not to lose to much health from it.

Of course, Takeshi may have just been talking about the match in general and it may have had nothing to do with that overheat into the water pulse, just wanting to know.

I wanted to try and use at least an internet translator to try and get some words - since that's all i can use at the minute - but they talk too fast for me and that means I wouldn't be able to spell the word correctly. :(

Jecko
1st July 2006, 11:25 PM
Just finishes watching it and overall I thought it was great. I thought it interesting how they(the writers) were really milking the whole Drew vs. May with each attack doing a little damage on the bars.

The battle between Aipom and Pikachu was great. I love the little boxer dance it before the battle began and the peace sign it gave to Ash after nailing Pikachu with swift was priceless.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/jecko1/capture.jpg

I can't believe they had the magicarp salesguy there and not have him swindle James out of all Team Rockets' money again.

CyberCubed
2nd July 2006, 1:04 AM
Heh, this is like the only episode where James/Jessie/Meowth only got like one line each. FINALLY! The writers realized they shouldn't be wasting time with TR during league tournaments.

I'm so pleased with the way they kept TR in the background, especially in the last episode, where they got like a single line each and we don't see them otherwise.

Good going, writers!

DrThuganomics
2nd July 2006, 1:11 AM
Heh, this is like the only episode where James/Jessie/Meowth only got like one line each. FINALLY! The writers realized they shouldn't be wasting time with TR during league tournaments.

I'm so pleased with the way they kept TR in the background, especially in the last episode, where they got like a single line each and we don't see them otherwise.

Good going, writers!

That added to the fact that they didn't randomly blast off.

alecsdell100
2nd July 2006, 3:43 AM
may VS. drew the final battle
is much like the old pokemon johto episodes
in the silver confernce.
and why?
think about it
the battle between may and drew
is much like ash vs. gary
and the battle between
may and saroi is
much like ash vs. harrison

may's battle
;007;x;330;

;256;x;359;

Chatsy
2nd July 2006, 4:54 AM
In the depths of the Indigo Plateau?

That makes me think of that tunnel thing you have to go through in the games to battle a lot of trainers before reaching the Plateau.

Ah well. Thanks for translating!

erizibang
2nd July 2006, 5:26 AM
Well as nobody answered this to me in other thread i posted.... here is my question...
first i must say May winning the battle wasn't fair... i saw that by the time combusken tried it's last overheat to the water pulse that absol sent, apart from not doing anything at all, Drew's points went down...
someone tell me why!!! (brock explained it but didn't understand japanese) if it wasn't the case Drew would have win cuz he had more points than her...

Can anyone give me a translation or idea of what Takeshi was talking about after the battle.

Wakashamo used overheat into the water pulse (?) and Takeshi was saying something about it. Now just from watching I felt it had something to do with using overheat into the water pulse (if thats what it was) weakened it down enough for Wakashamo not to faint from it, or it provided a heat spot of sorts for Wakashamo not to lose to much health from it.

Of course, Takeshi may have just been talking about the match in general and it may have had nothing to do with that overheat into the water pulse, just wanting to know
yeah i think that's what i want someone to explain

Shining_Espeon
2nd July 2006, 5:42 AM
What the helll was going on with Harley? The whole public scene thing?

src="/anime/pictures/kanto/458/AG81.jpg
src="/anime/pictures/kanto/458/AG82.jpg

That.

Flamez
2nd July 2006, 6:28 AM
and the battle between may and saroi is
much like ash vs. harrison

Nope that is wrong, only on one level that is right and that is that Ash met Harrison before the league started and he lost to him. May met Saori before the festival started and she lost to her. The results of the match were somewhat different. May got completely destroyed by Saori while Ash put up a damn good fight. He just had a poor choice of line up and possibly a wrong selection or two. Charizard gave Blaziken one heck of a fight, and remember the battle with charizard left blaziken unable to battle for the next match being a big contribution to the fact that Harrison lost the next match.
And also ash didn't cry after his match while may did, im not saying thats wrong or anything. As Jo-Jo pointed out earlier, Saori (my true love) has a thing for making her opponents cry.lol

KuwabaraTheMan
2nd July 2006, 10:05 AM
Amazing episode. Haruka vs. Shuu was a great battle, some awesome and brutal(by Pokemon standards) moments(Zenigame getting rammed into the wall), and a shocking ending. I really thought Shuu was going to win.

I wish Haruka vs. Saori had been longer, though.

However, I get the impression Saori will return. Shuu still has unfinished business with her, and now Haruka as well. She was actually developed, unlike Robert.

Overall, it should have been 4 episodes instead of 3, but they were an awesome 3 episodes.

Crimsonmon
2nd July 2006, 5:30 PM
My friend wanted to know how exactly the May/Saori fight ended, but I can't remember the last move that Saori did myself, and I deleted the episode already so I can't check. So could someone refresh my memory as to what two attacks Saori combined against May that finished her off? All I remember was the feathers falling down.

Gravy
2nd July 2006, 5:48 PM
My friend wanted to know how exactly the May/Saori fight ended, but I can't remember the last move that Saori did myself, and I deleted the episode already so I can't check. So could someone refresh my memory as to what two attacks Saori combined against May that finished her off? All I remember was the feathers falling down.
Slowbro finished off Combusken with a Hyper Beam, while Pidgeot took down Munchlax with an Aerial Ace to the gut.
You're thinking of Feather Dance, which was only used to help Pidgeot break free from a Fire Spin.

Pika Hikari KT
2nd July 2006, 10:58 PM
That was also the debut of the Pidgey line's signature move.^__^ Lookie at all the feathers, nya~*_*

Cloud Strife
3rd July 2006, 5:54 AM
Flygon>Squirtle. That is ALL that needs to be said about this craptacular episode. Ash's Squirtle could beat Drew's Flygon, HOWEVER, May's is still very young, HTH did Bubble hit with the force of the atom bomb. This battle was crap. (and Squirtle is my favorite Pokemon)

CyberCubed
3rd July 2006, 7:14 AM
Flygon>Squirtle. That is ALL that needs to be said about this craptacular episode. Ash's Squirtle could beat Drew's Flygon, HOWEVER, May's is still very young, HTH did Bubble hit with the force of the atom bomb. This battle was crap. (and Squirtle is my favorite Pokemon)

Let's see, Bubble is super effective against Flygon. Ice beam is 4x super effective against Flygon, especially one at close range. Flygon going down was acceptable by implying both game logic and anime logic.

Cloud Strife
3rd July 2006, 7:37 AM
Let's see, Bubble is super effective against Flygon. Ice beam is 4x super effective against Flygon, especially one at close range. Flygon going down was acceptable by implying both game logic and anime logic.

Is it now? I thought that DRAGON would negate ground, that said, it would do NORMAL damage, but it hit with the force of a nuke.

We know they don't matter MUCH, but there still are levels on the show. Squirtle is a very low level, if Flygon is even a normal level it would rape Squirtle. May's Squirtle (even with an ice beam) has no business taking down a fully evolved high level dragon like that.

Geodude
3rd July 2006, 9:03 AM
Water does normal damage to Dragon, but Ice is indeed 4xSE.

And I'll post this for the second time...

Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 49 episodes since May first got it. Do you people have absolutely no sense of time, or what? It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint? This is past the point of annoying.

K0S-M0S
3rd July 2006, 9:39 AM
Amazing episode. Haruka vs. Shuu was a great battle, some awesome and brutal(by Pokemon standards) moments(Zenigame getting rammed into the wall), and a shocking ending. I really thought Shuu was going to win.

I wish Haruka vs. Saori had been longer, though.

However, I get the impression Saori will return. Shuu still has unfinished business with her, and now Haruka as well. She was actually developed, unlike Robert.

Overall, it should have been 4 episodes instead of 3, but they were an awesome 3 episodes.

I agree with your statement completely. Unlike some of the earlier episodes this season, this episode was quite unpredictible. It seems to me that they are setting up Shuu and Haruka to journey together. It will be interesting to see what develops during the Shuu and Haruka Rival Forever episode that airs in August. Saori winning the Grand Festival was predictible though. They did the same thing in the Houen League with Tetsuya. Bring in a new character that is really good so that the main characters have a new rival would be diffiucult to defeat.

All in all, a great episode though. Probably one of my favourite episodes of all time. Haruka crying at the end while Satoshi and Takeshi comforted her was touching. The music was great as well. I hope they release another BMG cd eventually as Advanced Generation has had some great background music.

Gravy
3rd July 2006, 1:27 PM
This battle was crap. (and Squirtle is my favorite Pokemon)
So, did you actually bother to focus on anything that wasn't Squirtle, or were you so busy nitpicking that single element, that you didn't take the time to look at the bigger picture? Because the battle as a whole, and even the episode itself, was far from being crap.

Darkstorm16
3rd July 2006, 2:06 PM
OK, May's Squirtle is young indeed but look how fast it learned Ice Beam, and also by now it should be a about a year older than when May first got him. All that fighting with him I guess payed off.

Crimsonmon
3rd July 2006, 3:59 PM
Slowbro finished off Combusken with a Hyper Beam, while Pidgeot took down Munchlax with an Aerial Ace to the gut.
You're thinking of Feather Dance, which was only used to help Pidgeot break free from a Fire Spin.

Thank you.

CyberCubed
3rd July 2006, 4:10 PM
It seems to me that they are setting up Shuu and Haruka to journey together.

They're rivals, they're not going to travel together. This is almost as bad as the people who wanted Gary to join the main group back in the day.

If anything, the scene at the end of the ep indicates that Drew will continue to be her rival, despite losing to her. He probably won't be able to taunt her as much anymore though, because it'll look really odd now that she's caught up to him.

Cloud Strife
3rd July 2006, 7:12 PM
Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 49 episodes since May first got it. Do you people have absolutely no sense of time, or what? It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint? This is past the point of annoying.

I didn't say newborn, I said very young, which it is, more importantly (before people say Ash's Squirtle was that strong after a year, yeah, it had also had previous trainers and nearly taken over a town) it is at low levels, it has not had nearly the ammount of fights Ash's had in the same ammount of time, nor faced the calibur of opponents Ash's had.

So, did you actually bother to focus on anything that wasn't Squirtle, or were you so busy nitpicking that single element, that you didn't take the time to look at the bigger picture? Because the battle as a whole, and even the episode itself, was far from being crap.

Hey Gravy, did you think the Lisa Tate battle was any good, or were you like the majority of the fans, who thought the battle was crap because of Super Swellow? That is only one little thing in the whole battle, but it was huge, I am not nitpicking, Squirtle beating Flygon happens to be a major part of that battle, IE the episode was crap.

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd July 2006, 7:22 PM
Finnaly saw it....WOW! Awesome animation, great music, and all that jazz.

*Aipom rules, it had a appealing fight.
*Was that the full version of Spurt, as I hope it is, as it ROCKED!
*May's crying was really....fake in my opinion.
*Ash and Max hugging......0.0
*And TR went without doing a scam, they were even partying at the end with anyone (the fact that Ash can't tell who they were even know James was barely disguised, and they had a talking Meowth on top of Wobbuffet, is another issue)

Yamato-san
3rd July 2006, 8:48 PM
(before people say Ash's Squirtle was that strong after a year, yeah, it had also had previous trainers and nearly taken over a town)

not to mention being a leader amongst other Zenigame that had previous trainers.

in my opinion, her crying was actually pretty believable. Besides, the series has had much worse... remember Kasumi and that Nazonokusa way back in the episode where Satoshi got Fushigidane?

CyberCubed
3rd July 2006, 9:20 PM
Methinks someone is bitter because a precious dragon like Flygon bit the dust. Ice beam is enough to finish off a Ground/Dragon type like Flygon in one shot, I don't see how you can argue any other way.

Flamez
3rd July 2006, 9:27 PM
Did anybody pick up what Scott was talking about when May was battling Saori. I know I heard him using Ash's Name a few times. I really wish someone could translate that part.

skarmachild
3rd July 2006, 9:48 PM
Finnaly saw it....WOW! Awesome animation, great music, and all that jazz.

*Aipom rules, it had a appealing fight.
*Was that the full version of Spurt, as I hope it is, as it ROCKED!
*Ash and Max hugging......0.0
*And TR went without doing a scam, they were even partying at the end with anyone (the fact that Ash can't tell who they were even know James was barely disguised, and they had a talking Meowth on top of Wobbuffet, is another issue)

Same opinions here too.

*Aipom vs Pikachu was a quick yet awesome fight, Aipom put up a great show + the music was just right - especially when it was in the Pokeball and the music carried over to the next scene.
*Mays crying was overdone, too high pitched and continous. Still, fitted in.
*Max + Ash hugging. I'm sure that'll please alot of people - I thought it was cute and I'm a guy (no lolicon here)
*TR didn't cause trouble for 3 eps! Hoorah. And the next ep preview looks like it doesn't have TR, but who would the mechanical Fearows be attacking?

One of my favourite episodes ever.

jolteonjak
3rd July 2006, 10:21 PM
If you read any write up about a Flygon, they all say that pretty much anything with Ice Beam can OHKO or 2HKO a Flygon.

Face it, Squirtle had the attack necessary to defeat it; and as all you haters saw, 2 seconds later Absol knocked it out. It wasn't a cheap win this time. (Did people complain this much when Munchlax OHKO'd the Politoed in its battle debut episode?)

Endoplasmic Reticulum
4th July 2006, 12:45 AM
What did scott tell ash about the battle pyramid?

Cloud Strife
4th July 2006, 1:27 AM
Methinks someone is bitter because a precious dragon like Flygon bit the dust. Ice beam is enough to finish off a Ground/Dragon type like Flygon in one shot, I don't see how you can argue any other way.

Ice beam from Ash's Squirtle, or any of Misty's Pokemon except Azumaril, (sp), or even May's Skitty (I know it is Blizzard, but it is an Ice Attack) than Sure, NOT from that young Squirtle. You have to take power into account, you would not say a Magby is taking down a Parasect, would you? Squirtle is far too young to hang with a full powered Dragon. It was rushed crap by the writers so they could have May overcome Drew.

1 If you read any write up about a Flygon, they all say that pretty much anything with Ice Beam can OHKO or 2HKO a Flygon.

Face it, Squirtle had the attack necessary to defeat it; and as all you haters saw, 2 seconds later Absol knocked it out. It wasn't a cheap win this time. (Did people complain this much when Munchlax OHKO'd the Politoed in its battle debut episode?)

1 That is assuming (game anyway, not anime) that they are both at level 100, because everything is in the meta. So that is all nice and irrelavent.

This was FAR cheaper than when we had Super Swellow, or Super Skitty at least Swellow was at the right experience to hang, Squirtle is not near there.

I know I complained when Munchlax ohko'd Politoed

Pika Hikari KT
4th July 2006, 2:04 AM
-I take back my complaint on Overheat. Combusken's version was awesome looking, like a really big fireball!*_*

-First time we've seen Flash and Featherdance, both very nice and carried out as they should.

-Spurt played during Aipom's capture(Rica Matsumoto=<3), but the lyrics at the end were a bit different...

-As was said before, the Magikarp Salesman got a one-second cameo during a scan of the Pokéball.:D

-That has to be some of the worst crying I've ever heard.T_T

-Ouch--May got COMPLETELY pwned in the semis. No wonder she was crying.>_<;

-Yikes, Harley had everyone in the last row looking at him.XD

-Didn't hear a city name during the last few minutes, but that's probably because Scott was talking so fast. The narrator was no help either.:p

Kthleen
4th July 2006, 2:37 AM
What did scott tell ash about the battle pyramid?I hear Enishida (Scott) say something that sounds like "fenneru." I think he says, in total, "Jindai (Brandon) wa ima Fennerudan yo iseki ni iru yo" (iseki means "ruins"), to which Satoshi (Ash) responds by asking "Fennerudan ni?" Enishida basically says that Jindai's now at this F place which has ruins, and Satoshi is unfamiliar with the name, so he repeats it. Masato (Max) then says, "Sekiei kougen no oku da! Koko kara chikai yo" (something like, "It's in the depths of the Indigo Plateau! That's nearby!").

Pete the Unstoppable
4th July 2006, 3:29 AM
Personally, i think the reason why squirtle beat flygon is cause it was well trained plus IB=4x damage=screwing that flygon for what it did to squirtle on the episode cloud arcanine, i like flygon, but in the beggining of the series dragons were legendary then some coordinator who always says he's the best but really actually is not that great gets a flygon, wtf, obviously it is poorly trained. and yeah, absol killing squirtle is bull****, well, may's is still young, but ash's squirtle would kill both of drew's pokemon, anyway, squirtle is by far my fav

other notes:I actually dont think may was a sore loser anymore, i mean, she beat her rival then she gets defeated with no effort, i actually can see why she would be crying, if i had a rival and we entered a Pokemon tournament and i beat him/her then i get beaten with no effort, yeah, i just MIGHT cry, i didnt say i will though

and also squirtle is my fav, BY FAR, i use him in NB

ashnmisty4eva
4th July 2006, 3:33 AM
I have no problem with the Aipom thing. It's all ready fairly strong, so I think Ash will do a good job of training it. I don't think it has anything to do with his old primeape...probably just coincidence and added humor.
Drew gave her another rose *sigh* I knew he wouldn't be upset with his loss. He's come to really respect May, plus their battle was neck in neck the entire time; it could have gone either way.
Does anyone know where I can find a transcript for the last ep?
Is the latest ep up on youtube? All I could find was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V856DLYXqQk&search=grand%20festival%20pokemon

Rufinito18
4th July 2006, 4:05 AM
Ice beam from Ash's Squirtle, or any of Misty's Pokemon except Azumaril, (sp), or even May's Skitty (I know it is Blizzard, but it is an Ice Attack) than Sure, NOT from that young Squirtle. You have to take power into account, you would not say a Magby is taking down a Parasect, would you? Squirtle is far too young to hang with a full powered Dragon. It was rushed crap by the writers so they could have May overcome Drew.

Ok, this is just plain Squirtle bashing. Did you see the episode? It wasn't taken down with one Ice beam.
*Re-watches the battle*

Flygon took

1. Got hit by the fire explosions.
2.Bubblebeam + Flamethrower powered up with sparks.
3.Another Bubblebeam
4. Close-up ice beam
5.Fall factor.

Seriously, this squirtle bashing is dumb.

EDIT: I just wanna add Squirtle isn't young anymore....

Kabuto
4th July 2006, 4:43 AM
Ok, this is just plain Squirtle bashing. Did you see the episode? It wasn't taken down with one Ice beam.
*Re-watches the battle*

Flygon took

3.Another Bubblebeam
4. Close-up ice beam
5.Fall factor.

What he said. If even Yamato-san isn't bashing this, you shouldn't either. Squirtle finally got the beating it deserved from the Ariados match, and hopefully, it'll be off May's roster shortly.

Rizardon
4th July 2006, 8:43 AM
May got rid of Bulbasaur after her first GF, and she used
Squirtle in her second, so it,s possible she will remove Squirtle.

I still think it sucks May and Saori didnt exchange 1 word. (With the
exception of May talking with her at the party, but Jessie was blabbering
through it.)

Yamato-san
4th July 2006, 8:45 AM
What he said. If even Yamato-san isn't bashing this, you shouldn't either. Squirtle finally got the beating it deserved from the Ariados match, and hopefully, it'll be off May's roster shortly.

actually, it deserves a LOT more for all the crap it's done in the past. But anyway, it's true, even I'm not senselessly delving on this because, for the most part, this win actually seemed realistic. Although, Flygon blankly standing there was a load of bulls*** (that and the general idea of Zenigame getting yet another victory displeases me), Absol kicking its a** in the end makes up for it.

Cloud Strife
4th July 2006, 9:56 AM
*Re-watches the battle*

Flygon took

3.Another Bubblebeam
4. Close-up ice beam
5.Fall factor.

I don't bash Squirtle, Blastoise, or Mewtwo. On that note, if a Blastoise takes down a Rayquaza, I AM going to call the writers on it, favorite Pokemon or not. But I am not bashing my precious Squirtle Second, about a year old, not much experience, YOUNG.

Geodude
4th July 2006, 12:51 PM
*Re-watches the battle*

Flygon took

3.Another Bubblebeam
4. Close-up ice beam
5.Fall factor.

Great post, but it was Bubble, not Bubblebeam, and Fire Spin, not Flamethrower.

Jo-Jo
4th July 2006, 1:02 PM
Ok, this is just plain Squirtle bashing.
People are only objecting to that now? :p

It's taken me this long to get hold of the episode. Grrrrrr.

Squirtle-hatred aside, Drew and May's battle was truly spectacular. Best contest battle in the history of the anime so far. I feel very sorry for the Japanese Drew-fans who had to wait until after the ad break to find out who won, though. XD And I cracked up at how long it went on for. Five minutes, my arse.

Magikarp man cameo!!! They should totally do stuff like that more often. Have Mandy the Astounding standing around in a random crowd scene, it'd be great.

Wow, May didn't just cry, she howled! Good acting from her VA. It's one of those moments that remind you how young these characters are. Ash and Brock comforting her was sweet.

ghost master
4th July 2006, 3:07 PM
I don't bash Squirtle, Blastoise, or Mewtwo. On that note, if a Blastoise takes down a Rayquaza, I AM going to call the writers on it, favorite Pokemon or not. But I am not bashing my precious Squirtle Second, about a year old, not much experience, YOUNG. first off we dont know what age it was at. Just around starter level. I dont consider starters babies. Anyway squirtle was in 5/6 contests this saga. I think that is more than enough experience. I think the squirtle bashing is a little much. The only cheap moment was its first contest and even then it wasnt so horrible. We have no idea how experienced ariados was either and Ash has pulled something like that in his kanto/johto days. If May is supposed to be similar to Kanto/Johto ash then it is all right for her to pull once in a while. I think that this battle was realistic Flygon suffered massive damage and then got hit by an ice beam which could be an ohko game wise.

I thought this episode was pretty good. I know however people are mad about aipom but whatever.

Flamez
4th July 2006, 5:59 PM
Although, Flygon blankly standing there was a load of bulls*** (that and the general idea of Zenigame getting yet another victory displeases me).

Yes I agree, I mentioned the same thing a few pages back. I know some people might say that in battles things can happen in the "nick of time". But I believe this was completely different. Let me explain, Flygon is just standing there while squirlte got on top. Now Drew orders absol to use razor wind and may counters with combuskens fire spin both attacks collide and cause alot of smoke. Then squirtle used bubble. Now are you people telling me that absol can use razor wind and combusken can use fire spin and then squirtle uses bubble, and while all this is happening that damn dragon can get the heck out of the way. Drew should've just said "move" while the absol used the attack. But ofcourse drew is not a real life peson, the writers set it up like that so squirtle could knock flygon out.

The attacks however that were used were not cheap i agree with that. Flygon was hit with combuskens fire spin, a combination of bubble and firespin, then bubble and a close ranged ice beam attack. Thats more then enough to knock flygon out. Just dont like the fact that it stood there. Anways did anyone find out what scott was talking about when may was battling saori? (he mentioned ash's name a few times)

Medea
4th July 2006, 7:36 PM
Well, this truly is a Happy 4th of July! I saw the episode this morning!

Besides hating May's little puke bucket Squirtle, that battle kicked some serious butt. It really didn't matter to me who would win that battle, but I am glad that May finally beat Drew (even if it was a super close battle). And I am also glad that I didn't get too much of a Deja Vu trip with the second battle. After watching all three of the episodes of the Grand Festival, I've come to the conclusion that I would so go gay for Saori (Medea has problems). And of course (as some of the other girls in the Drew club) I was a little disappointed by a few things. It would have been really cool (and at the same time sad) to see a flashback of Drew's first contest against Saori. Another thing in this episode, is that damned Aipom. I really can't say more on that matter. But it was cool to see Mr. Big-Pimpin' there (a.k.a. Scott). And of course, I always love any May/Drew action that I can see. I am a sap for things like that and the end of the episode was just my Mardi Gras!

So all in all, friggin cool episode!

Cloud Strife
4th July 2006, 9:41 PM
So some of yall get on me for calling the writers out on the crap that was Squirtle, but TONS of people are complaining about Aipom. Doesn't make much sense here.

ashnmisty4eva
4th July 2006, 10:14 PM
Hey! Where is everyone seeing the episode? I was searching for it on youtube but couldn't find it anywhere!
A link would be fabulous. :)

Cloud Strife
4th July 2006, 10:32 PM
Hey! Where is everyone seeing the episode? I was searching for it on youtube but couldn't find it anywhere!
A link would be fabulous. :)

It would also be against the rules.

Rufinito18
5th July 2006, 2:11 AM
Great post, but it was Bubble, not Bubblebeam, and Fire Spin, not Flamethrower.

First one, I had no idea. Second, I was distracted. lol
Now, not that I adore squirtle or not, but I really feel you're giving it pointless hate-points for this battle, it really is a believable win, specially after all the attacks I pointed out. This is the same hate Aipom is getting. Lay-off Squirtle, it did a good job, and anyways it got owned by iron tail...which may I say, is supossed to be not very effective agaisn't water types. Why don't you whine about that? For all we know, Absol is young too. Yet, nobody is complaining. They're all complaining about the Ice beam, which is 4x super effective, that killed Flygon. Seriously, logic people.

ashnmisty4eva
5th July 2006, 3:04 AM
It would also be against the rules.

Hmm. Didn't know that, sorry!
Regardless, I did find a link, so never mind. :)

ghost master
5th July 2006, 4:48 AM
Now, not that I adore squirtle or not, but I really feel you're giving it pointless hate-points for this battle, it really is a believable win, specially after all the attacks I pointed out. This is the same hate Aipom is getting. Geodude is one of the few that actually defend squirtle. He doesnt go out and give it pointless hate points. Also I agree the aipom hasnt done anything to wrong except be portrayed as being cute and getting a lot of screentime.

Geodude
5th July 2006, 4:53 AM
I don't think he was talking to me, although he should have been clearer.

Bubble = awa
Bubblebeam = baboru kousen
Fire Spin = honoo no uzu
Flamethrower = kaen housha

Rufinito18
5th July 2006, 5:12 AM
I don't think he was talking to me, although he should have been clearer.

Bubble = awa
Bubblebeam = baboru kousen
Fire Spin = honoo no uzu
Flamethrower = kaen housha

I was talking generally to the people who were bashing squirtle, but yea, I should have been clearer. Me and my Uncleareness!!!

And Geodude, ty lots for the Japanese attack names :D

Geodude
5th July 2006, 5:27 AM
If you actually watch the episodes, it shouldn't take long before you figure out the Japanese names of the more often-used attacks, such as Thunderbolt, Pin Missile, Poison Tail, Water Gun, etc.

Rizardon
5th July 2006, 8:21 AM
I cant understand why people want to use the
logic of GBA games and whine about the animé. (Omg omg,
Flygon gets K,Oed by a Squirtle, that shouldnt be.)
Oh well..

Can someone tell me the japanese names for Thunder and
Ice Beam? I hear them but i dont know how to spell it.
Thunder - Jirlbum Bolto or something? :p
Ice Beam - Netto-Beam? :s

ashnmisty4eva
5th July 2006, 8:37 AM

Thank you someone for saying that!
In the video game it's more precise...in the anime they can actually use strategy and crazy combinations to their advantage.
All the power to Squirtle.
And my question (maybe I just didn't understand this since I don't speak a word of Japanese. :P) is why was Combusken able to use overheat so many times, whereas Charizard (in the Arcticuno episode) could only use it once? That didn't make sense to me. Oh well. ;munchlax;

Gravy
5th July 2006, 12:41 PM
And my question (maybe I just didn't understand this since I don't speak a word of Japanese. :P) is why was Combusken able to use overheat so many times, whereas Charizard (in the Arcticuno episode) could only use it once? That didn't make sense to me. Oh well. ;munchlax;

Charizard could use the attack more than once. But Ash knew that Overheat would only really effect Articuno at it's peak. That's why he was so adamant to use it until he got a clear shot at the opponent.
Haruka on the other hand, was just eager to take Absol down with the attack while she had the chance. The first was a direct hit, the second didn't make contact and the third was weaker than the previous, yet because it was so close, managed to do a lot more damage. And of course, the forth Overheat was only a titchy little fire ball, which was smothered by the Water Pulse. By this point, Shuu seemed to be pretty confident that she was going to keep using the move despite it growing steadily weaker by the minute, but was ultimately caught off guard when Haruka opted for Sky Uppercut instead.

Crimsonmon
5th July 2006, 12:48 PM
Oh well..

Can someone tell me the japanese names for Thunder and
Ice Beam? I hear them but i dont know how to spell it.
Thunder - Jirlbum Bolto or something? :p
Ice Beam - Netto-Beam? :s

Thunderbolt: Juman Volt (100,000 Volt)
Ice Beam: Reitou Beam (Freezing Beam)

ashnmisty4eva
5th July 2006, 9:09 PM
Charizard could use the attack more than once. But Ash knew that Overheat would only really effect Articuno at it's peak. That's why he was so adamant to use it until he got a clear shot at the opponent.
Haruka on the other hand, was just eager to take Absol down with the attack while she had the chance. The first was a direct hit, the second didn't make contact and the third was weaker than the previous, yet because it was so close, managed to do a lot more damage. And of course, the forth Overheat was only a titchy little fire ball, which was smothered by the Water Pulse. By this point, Shuu seemed to be pretty confident that she was going to keep using the move despite it growing steadily weaker by the minute, but was ultimately caught off guard when Haruka opted for Sky Uppercut instead.

I see! Thanks for that! :);munchlax;