PDA

View Full Version : MtG CotD June 30, 2006- Brand

Kaizer
30th June 2006, 9:09 PM
http://gatherer.wizards.com/gathererlookup.asp?set=UrzasSaga&name=brand

Due to inactivity, the random CotD is now Brand.

What does it do? Not much? You bet. It can cycle for two though- that's always nice. It also uh.... gives you back your own stuff. Seriously, I don't even know how to rate this card. Should've picked mudhole.

Here's what it actually does:

Name: Brand
Set & Rarity:
Urza's Saga rare
Printings:
Cost: R
Card Type: Instant
P/T:
Rules Text (Oracle): Gain control of all permanents you own. (This effect doesn’t end at end of turn.)
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Flavor Text (Urza's Saga): “By this glyph I affirm your role.”
—Urza, to Karn
Artist Credit: Donato Giancola
Format Legality: Legal in: Legacy, Vintage, Two-Headed Giant, Urza Block

Sky Swallower in Izzet.

Shadow Trainer
30th June 2006, 9:18 PM
Cycling is always nice and it combos with the Hunted creatures. 2/5

chaoslord
2nd July 2006, 3:39 AM
Cycling is always nice and it combos with the Hunted creatures. 2/5

This is exactly what I said to him.

You win the thread

Felix Feral Fezirix
2nd July 2006, 4:17 PM
Cycling is always good. Heard of the dude who totally pwned with a cycling based deck? Apparently he just keeps on cycling till the field is his. End of story.

And this deck is good if your opponent likes to steal your stuff. Get back at them, I say, even if it's for a turn.

Other than that...It's useless.

Ah well. Random is random.

1.5/5.

Rudimentarybrain
3rd July 2006, 5:07 AM
It's an ok card, i mean you could combo it with some huge cards, but some of those arent really worth playing. i guess in RW slide you could use this, but rift/slide is outdated when compared to the ease and flow of gw slide it gets its *** kicked. competitve=1/5 casual=1.5/5.

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th July 2006, 12:41 PM
This would go well with Hunted Horror, since it suffers the most from the creatures it gives. >_<

Shadow the Hedgehog
5th July 2006, 2:00 AM
Cycling is always good. Heard of the dude who totally pwned with a cycling based deck? Apparently he just keeps on cycling till the field is his. End of story.

And this deck is good if your opponent likes to steal your stuff. Get back at them, I say, even if it's for a turn.

Other than that...It's useless.

Ah well. Random is random.

1.5/5.

Do you mean that guy with the Astral Slide deck? Heard it was quite powerful.

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th July 2006, 3:48 PM
It's like he takes a licking, next turn he starts cycling and keeps on ticking...If I remember correctly, he gets to remove something every time he cycles, and the cycled cards themselves give an effect on their own when cycled...

Rudimentarybrain
5th July 2006, 6:56 PM
there are many types of astral slide but two main competitive types, Riftslide using lightning rift and astral slide, and GW slide, using anti artifact cards. Rift slide is RW, and outdated, GW slide is the deck Julien Nuijten used to win 2004 worlds. What rift/slide does is uses lightning rift and astral slide in combination with cards like slice and dice, seige gang commander, and starstorm to deal massive amounts of damage and keep field control while waiting to bring in eternal dragon or exalted angel to finish the opponent off. GW slide is a little different and uses viridian shaman, eternal witness, rampant growth, and other green cards to replace the red cards, and also got rid of exalted angel because its too slow, even though if its a face down morphed creature when its removed from play with astral slide it turns face up, and stays that way. so anyway, You get astral slide out, and cycle to activate its ability removing your opponents creatures from play when they attack, and when they try to kill your creatures you remove them from play so they cant be targeted. also you abuse comes into play abilities, like eternal witness and viridian shaman, you remove the witness and when it comes back you get to return another card from your graveyard, or do the same with the shaman and destroy another artifact, which is good because affinity was a highly played deck at the time. anyway, thats the basics of what an astral slide deck does, if you have anymore questions on competitive play decks just pm me and i'll most likely have the answers, especially for older like decks like tinker or blue fireball and whatnot.

hubbs
7th July 2006, 12:42 AM
there are many types of astral slide but two main competitive types, Riftslide using lightning rift and astral slide, and GW slide, using anti artifact cards. Rift slide is RW, and outdated, GW slide is the deck Julien Nuijten used to win 2004 worlds. What rift/slide does is uses lightning rift and astral slide in combination with cards like slice and dice, seige gang commander, and starstorm to deal massive amounts of damage and keep field control while waiting to bring in eternal dragon or exalted angel to finish the opponent off. GW slide is a little different and uses viridian shaman, eternal witness, rampant growth, and other green cards to replace the red cards, and also got rid of exalted angel because its too slow, even though if its a face down morphed creature when its removed from play with astral slide it turns face up, and stays that way. so anyway, You get astral slide out, and cycle to activate its ability removing your opponents creatures from play when they attack, and when they try to kill your creatures you remove them from play so they cant be targeted. also you abuse comes into play abilities, like eternal witness and viridian shaman, you remove the witness and when it comes back you get to return another card from your graveyard, or do the same with the shaman and destroy another artifact, which is good because affinity was a highly played deck at the time. anyway, thats the basics of what an astral slide deck does, if you have anymore questions on competitive play decks just pm me and i'll most likely have the answers, especially for older like decks like tinker or blue fireball and whatnot.

Juilen's deck, doesn't have rift in it. (My friend bought it). Yes, he won the World's and is the youngest person ever to do so. Anyway, (I am not totally sure about this but) You use astral slide to null attacks. There are also cards like cycle - get token cards , which you use to win. Cycle cards, remove your opponents cards, attack. Now remember, I haven't played it that much.

~hubbs

Rudimentarybrain
7th July 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure i made it clear in my post that rift/slide is the outdated version, and that julien was using GW slide, not rift/slide. Also, the decks strategy is to not only stop attacks, but 1)return cards from the graveyard by removing their own Eternal witness and having it come back to play allowing him to use its come into play ability again, 2) destroying artifacts by removing viridian shaman and using its come into play ability over and over each time it comes back, 3) once you get seven lands you can search your deck for all of its plains over the next turns by plainscycling Eternal Dragon, then putting it into play to finish off your opponent 4) make your creatures unblockable by sliding out your opponents creatures, and 5) the deck is just huge on field control and mana accel with rampant growth and eternal dragon for the mana accel. and then wing shards, wrath of god, plow under, astral slide+all of the cycling cards for incredible field control. Sorry if my first post wasnt too clear on what deck julien nuijten used.