PDA

View Full Version : TokyoPop licenses shoujo manga... from DISNEY.

MegaRob
6th July 2006, 6:24 PM
Kilala Princess (Kirara when they refer to the Japanese version). Main girl is way too cute. I swear to God this is not fake. TokyoPop just announced this at the Anime Expo as one of their newly licensed properties. It's a Disney shoujo manga, but a REAL honest-to-goodness original story originally intended for Japan. It's been released there for over a year now, but it's finally been picked up for U.S. distribution.
This looks like something I'll pick up for my sister when it hits the shelves here, lol. :D
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/eViLeRob/img03.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/eViLeRob/cmc3453456.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/eViLeRob/cmc3453.jpg

It kinda looks like a shoujo version of Kingdom Hearts, lol. :p

Cutiebunny
7th July 2006, 7:16 AM
About friggin time!

I LOVE this manga. I used to subscribe to Nakayoshi and I looked forward to this every month. The plot was really good. I enjoy how Kilala learns something important from each of the princesses she encounters. It's very endearing.

Ridley-X4
7th July 2006, 5:02 PM
*Cue Osaka's "OH MY GAHD!"*

That's some weird stuff ya got there.

OkashiraShinomori
8th July 2006, 6:46 AM
Huh, that does look pretty good, being as I'm an old-time Disney fan. They integrated it well enough in Kingdom Hearts, if this is anything like it I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

MegaRob
8th July 2006, 10:20 AM
lol, yep yep. I'm hoping against hope that TokyoPop doesn't flip the images, ala what they sadly did to the Kingdom Hearts manga. Though they probably will end up repeating the same move over again with Kilala Princess, lol. :p

Flowers of Night
9th July 2006, 4:29 AM
Actually, when they flip a manga, it usually means they have a higher budget for that specific series, as flipping manga and editting usually takes alot out of them. This is good and all, but I prefer cheap un flipped manga!

This series looks pretty good, it's actually the first time I've ever heard of this.

Yamato-san
9th July 2006, 4:39 AM
lol, yep yep. I'm hoping against hope that TokyoPop doesn't flip the images, ala what they sadly did to the Kingdom Hearts manga. Though they probably will end up repeating the same move over again with Kilala Princess, lol. :p

actually, the Kingdom Hearts manga was read in left-to-right format even in the Japanese version, and I've got a fan translation (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/kh01-18.png) to prove it. Apparently, the author was trying to capture the essence of an English book, likely something having to do with Disney I guess (notice that, aside from most Disney movies being based on a book or fairy tale, a number of earlier movies will start off with a book being opened).

Shigeru-kun
9th July 2006, 8:09 AM
actually, the Kingdom Hearts manga was read in left-to-right format even in the Japanese version, and I've got a fan translation to prove it. Apparently, the author was trying to capture the essence of an English book, likely something having to do with Disney I guess (notice that, aside from most Disney movies being based on a book or fairy tale, a number of earlier movies will start off with a book being opened).
Wow, really? I didn't even know that. oO; Then again I never really paid attention to the KH manga despite loving the games, but most of the images I saw I think were flipped. Must've just been whoever translated them...or maybe my mind was on the fritz since I'm so use to reading right-to-left fashion. :p

Anywho though, I'm really happy Kilala Princess is being translated. X3 *huggles her Nakayoshi* It still amazes me how well an anime style looks up against the Disney princess's though. Especially since Kilala Princess portrays even Cinderella in her traditional old style instead of "upgrading" her to look more like she would thanks to today's computers and stuff.

IchigoNeko
9th July 2006, 11:30 PM
It looks kinda fun...The main character looks kind of like Full Moon (from Full Moon wo Sagashite).

That Scary Clefairy
10th July 2006, 12:01 AM
I just read the first chapter and I have a question for those who have read further: Does that girl kirara meet the disney princesses or are they there on the cover for show?
cause so far what i read she hasn't met them yet or whatsoever.

Shigeru-kun
10th July 2006, 1:04 AM
I just read the first chapter and I have a question for those who have read further: Does that girl kirara meet the disney princesses or are they there on the cover for show?
No, she meets them alright. ^^

Yamato-san
10th July 2006, 7:45 PM
Must've just been whoever translated them...

nope. Aku-Tenshi, like most fan scanlators, leave their manga unflipped. Thus, it's more likely that the page I posted was a translation of an actual note by the author, instead of just an inserted note by the translaters.

killerjaw01
10th July 2006, 9:22 PM
So what is this manga actually about?

That Scary Clefairy
10th July 2006, 10:17 PM
So what is this manga actually about?
Well I only read the first chapter and its about this japanese girl who dream of being a princess blah blah blah, her best friend at school got chosen as the school princess but then all of sudden she gets kidnapped. main girl meets a prince with his helper and they are searching for a princess for their kingdom etc. Shigeru kun says the girl meets the disney princess and all. I've haven't seen that myself.

Is this series on going even in Japan or is it only 2 volumes long?

killerjaw01
10th July 2006, 11:07 PM
Sounds rather strange (and also very Disney)
Think I'll pass on this manga...

That Scary Clefairy
11th July 2006, 12:11 AM
Sounds rather strange (and also very Disney)
Think I'll pass on this manga...
lol thought you'll pass on it.

Cutiebunny
13th July 2006, 5:55 AM

Yup. Each Princess has a problem that Kilala must help them with. In return for their help, not only does Kilala learn a valuable lesson about difficult it is to be a princess, but the princesses each give Kilala a stone for her princess tiara.

I really enjoyed the Ariel chapter. The artwork was really good, and Ariel acted almost as Kilala's big sister....really touching since Kilala is an orphan.

WheelerTheViper
13th July 2006, 6:57 AM
This looks rather interesting, although I won't buy it just to save myself from the odd looks freinds and family will get me. So instead I'll read it in public at Barns & Noble >_>

Guess Tokyopop is getting all the Disney manga. I'm surprised Disney diesn't do it themselves.

That Scary Clefairy
13th July 2006, 6:11 PM
Yup. Each Princess has a problem that Kilala must help them with. In return for their help, not only does Kilala learn a valuable lesson about difficult it is to be a princess, but the princesses each give Kilala a stone for her princess tiara.

I really enjoyed the Ariel chapter. The artwork was really good, and Ariel acted almost as Kilala's big sister....really touching since Kilala is an orphan.
Ah I see. is it still ongoing in Japan or has it ended? I only see 2 volumes avalable.

Goth_Guy
15th July 2006, 3:54 AM
interesting, but I have always wounderd what other newer Disney stuff would be like as a manga, sich as "The Proud Family" and Lizzie McGuire" and "That's So Raven".

Cutiebunny
15th July 2006, 5:26 AM
It's still ongoing.

I haven't read it for a while...the last time I did, Kilala and Ariel rescued Rei(Kilala's love interest) from Ursula. Ariel handed over a stone to Kilala and Kilala and Rei returned to their world only to find that Erika, Kilala's best friend, is still in a zombie-like state imposed by the people that have captured her.

Yeah, Kilala Princess has two different plots - There's Kilala's adventures with the princesses and Kilala's adventures in her home world(the buildings have a very old world feel to them).

MayShuufan
20th July 2006, 8:38 PM
Well they have Lizzie McGuire cine-manga but that's not proper manga.

Hmmmm looks interesting, I admit I'm a sucker for disney and shoujo manga so I'll probably pick it up if they start to sell it over here in the UK. It looks pretty cute and cool actually >.<.

MegaRob
23rd July 2006, 10:34 AM
Wow, this manga is sounding awesome. :D
I'm sure Tokyopop's UK division will release Kilala Princess at some point. Though hopefully soon they'll announce a release date for the US version of the manga. Though having worked as an intern at Tokyopop in Los Angeles for a while, I'm pretty sure it'll be quite some time 'till that happens. (Either way, the release date will be a while away. I'm guessing early 2007 for us, if we're lucky...) x_x;

moonstone
23rd July 2006, 11:57 PM
I guess I'd try it if it came out. I really do like Disney stuff. The premise sounds a little babyish at first, but once you get into details it doesn't sound so bad at all.

Cutiebunny
24th July 2006, 3:04 AM
I don't know if it's babyish. The manga does run in Nakayoshi which is a monthly shoujo publication that caters to the 8-15 year old audience in Japan. Some of the stories in Nakayoshi are a tad more childish while some of them, like Jigoku Shoujo(I so want to get the subs for this anime now!), are quite mature.

Part of Kilala's problem is that her best friend, Erika, has been kidnapped by a group of masked men. Apparentely, Kilala's tiara has some nifty magical powers, but it can only be used by someone who is truly a princess. These men believe that Erika is definetely Princess material(Erika wins a princess contest early on in the manga), but they need the crown. Almost every chapter, Kilala returns to her world along with Rei, hoping to save Erika. However, Erika has been hypnotized and is now working for her kidnappers.

I think I hung on to the Ariel chapter of Kilala Princess, so I'll scan some of the artwork up. It's really, REALLY well done stuff....and, as I said earlier, the Ariel chapter was really touching(unlike the Snow White chapter...rather blah in my opinion).

MegaRob
24th July 2006, 9:29 AM
Do any Disney villains show up at all? This would so be an automatic buy for myself if Maleficient or the Evil Queen were in the story at some point. :D

Cutiebunny
24th July 2006, 6:52 PM
Do any Disney villains show up at all? This would so be an automatic buy for myself if Maleficient or the Evil Queen were in the story at some point. :D

Of course they do ;munchlax;

The Snow White Chapter features the Wicked Queen and the Ariel Chapter features Ursula.

In the Ariel Chapter, Ursula captures Rei. Kilala, oddly enough, can breath underwater(along with Tippi, her little mouse). But Ariel realizes that having a human under the sea will scare the wits out of everyone(and demand a lot of explanation to Triton), so she disguises Kilala to look like a mermaid(it's a cute outfit).

In Nakayoshi, certain features receive a color title page every month. More popular ones, such as Kilala, have color pages almost every month. Anywho, here is the title page of Episode 4 with Rei, Tippi, Kilala and the tiara:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-8/40379/kilala.jpg

MegaRob
26th July 2006, 8:48 AM
Wow, thank you for the info. I can't believe it, but I'm excited for a shoujo manga, lol. :D
That's some beautiful artwork. If the manga itself looks as good as the covers/promotional artwork, that'd be awesome. ^_^