PDA

View Full Version : Aipom & Circumstance! (459)

Serebii
6th July 2006, 10:18 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/459.jpgAipom & The King!

On their way to the Battle Pyramid, Ash & Co. come across a town where the locals are looking for a new King to lead them. In doing so they run an event and whoever wins the event gets to be king for a year. However Ash's newly captured Aipom manages to get stuck in the crown. Will Ash be able to retrieve the crown and get the event happening?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/459.shtml)

Discuss

Silent Conversation
6th July 2006, 10:54 PM
First post!

I don't think this is gonna be a good episode. It just doesn't look like it will be so exciting.

Samayowa
6th July 2006, 10:55 PM
I think this'll be a funny filler, which usually makes for a interestingly good filler.

Flamez
6th July 2006, 10:58 PM
So far what i picked up is that Aipom knows double team.
My translation of Japanese is not good at all but i'll still give it a try, this is what i got from pokeani:
It seems like the battle pyramid is around a valley. Ash and the group are eating lunch and i think Aipom is jealous of pikachu for sitting on ash's shoulder, so it takes its hat and runs off. Later it takes the crown and it gets stuck onto its head. TR are also planning to take the crown. I think the character of day is a guy named Hiyoshi. Everyone is pretty much trying to get the crown. As I said before my translation may not be correct so for those who understand alot better then I do, feel free to correct me (no charge today,lol).

skarmachild
6th July 2006, 11:06 PM
First post!

I don't think this is gonna be a good episode. It just doesn't look like it will be so exciting.

Okay, seriousely - real apologies for mini-modding, but the mods seem to have gone AWOL at the mo.

Do not post if you don't know anything about the episode, this is not the speculation thread.

Ash6K
6th July 2006, 11:30 PM
Cool, Aipom learns Double Team...at least we know Aipom's appearance in this filler wasn't just to be the main cause for the conflict. I'm glad this is an episode where Aipom learned a new attack (or had the attack, just used it now).

Eddieursa
7th July 2006, 12:16 AM
Anybody know if the opening change in this episode?. You know, something about Aipom or something lika that.

dannyphantomhott
7th July 2006, 4:53 AM
So far what i picked up is that Aipom knows double team.
My translation of Japanese is not good at all but i'll still give it a try, this is what i got from pokeani:
It seems like the battle pyramid is around a valley. Ash and the group are eating lunch and i think Aipom is jealous of pikachu for sitting on ash's shoulder, so it takes its hat and runs off. Later it takes the crown and it gets stuck onto its head. TR are also planning to take the crown. I think the character of day is a guy named Hiyoshi. Everyone is pretty much trying to get the crown. As I said before my translation may not be correct so for those who understand alot better then I do, feel free to correct me (no charge today,lol).

Of course every Pokemon has to be jealous of Pikachu. Any previews for it after? Err um sounds good.

Sunain
7th July 2006, 7:58 AM
This episode had it's highs and lows. The intro did not change other then the sound effect being removed at the beginning again.

Satoshi uses his Zukan to identify Nosepass. I found this to be very odd considering he battle Tsutsuji's Nosepass near the beginning of Advanced Generation. Team Rocket also had a new words to their name introductions, "Hey Hey Hey Hey", which was odd.. There was also some new CGI effects in the background during the Motto. Aipom uses kagebunshin (Double Team) is random places, not the standard circle. Aipom also used supiidosutaa (Swift) but both of those moves were already know from earlier episodes but are now confirmed as attacks that it can use.

At the end of the episode, the pokemon sunday crew shows up to show a new scene from m9 with Meowth, Jessie and James which is absolutely hilarious! They have Manaphy's egg and it uses its new move, Heart Swap, and they all trade bodies.

HoennMaster
7th July 2006, 9:48 PM
The sound effect has been gone for a couple episodes. I love when Pikachu is trying to get the crown off of Aipom. This should be a good episode.

S.Suikun
8th July 2006, 12:11 AM
It's gone on and off.

Pics are up on filb.de. If you like old men in togas, this episode is for you. TR has a legion of Mecha-Fearows. Aipom gets its crown removed after being fed some sour berry, causing its head to compress. Filler boy gets crowned king. Animation = Ick. Nothing else to say. (unless it has some exceptional BGM, which I doubt)

.Bambi.
8th July 2006, 12:59 AM
It's about fecking time one of Ash's Pokemon did something about Pikachu's favourism. Seriously, they all just lay down and take it, but Aipom won't. From what I can gather from the pictures, he forces himself into Ash for a hug. That just wins right there. Whoever said Aipom is trying to take Pikachu's place is right...but do you see me complaining?

Otherwise, the episode was pretty bad. When the plot consists of getting a stuck crown off a Pokemon's head and defeating the "horribly powerful" mecha Fearows, there isn't much to say.

Quality Ash and Aipom bonding time, though.

Joe
8th July 2006, 1:01 AM
Oh my God, Aipom is so fricking cute!!! It just made my day. xD

.C., I totally agree, it's about time one of the team did something about Pikachu being the main guy, and it being Aipom, his newest capture, that just makes it better. Newcomers jealousy. =P

ghost master
8th July 2006, 1:02 AM
Well it looks like Aipom wants to take pika's place. Since it doesnt like beings in its pokeball and we finally got a picnic scene since what seems forever. Aipom eats with the humans and pikachu while the other pokemon eat on the ground. Aipom gets jealous of pika on Ash's shoulder and takes his hat. It runs around to the crown area. A bunch of girls in bikinis are all over Brock. Nosepass was featured for an incredibly short time. TR tries stealing aipom but only gets ash's hat. Aipom grabs the crown and everyone chases it. It puts the crown on eventually and pikachu catches up with Aipom and tries to remove the crown but its stuck. The two run around from the angry mob for a while. Ash meets up and comes to the same conclusion. Ash is talking with Aipom and it says something that makes Aipom starry eyed. It clings onto Ash for a while and the rest of the gang meets up with them and Tr sends mechanical fearow. They attack for a while and Swellow fight until Ash decides it cant do much more. Eventually TR is defeated the filler character of the day feeds Aipom a berry and removes the crown.

I think Aipom is female because when Ash picked it up and held it around his shoulders it was blushing. I also see where the pokeani people got the pikachu x aipom shipping from after seeing the episode.

Oh but animation was horrible. Especially seeing horribly animated aipom with the crown on.

CyberCubed
8th July 2006, 1:27 AM
Aipom getting jealous of Pikachu is a complete copy of Chikorita getting jealous of Pikachu.

At least back then it was nice because Chikorita was a girl and had a crush on Ash, (lol), and it was kind of cute. Especially what Bayleef had to go through when it evolved and was too "big" to sit on Ash's shoulder.

Meh, I miss Bayleef. :/

ghost master
8th July 2006, 1:46 AM
Aipom getting jealous of Pikachu is a complete copy of Chikorita getting jealous of Pikachu.

At least back then it was nice because Chikorita was a girl and had a crush on Ash, (lol), and it was kind of cute. Especially what Bayleef had to go through when it evolved and was too "big" to sit on Ash's shoulder. Aipom I think is female. It blushed when it was in Ash's arms. I dont know about you but I liked aipom better than what we have seen of it.

CyberCubed
8th July 2006, 1:56 AM
I think the best part of the episode was the whole robot Fearow thing. I really loved that scene for some reason.

Not a bad filler, pretty average with some nice moments here and there, and some decent character development for Aipom. Oh, and Nosepass making his return in over 100 episodes was nice.

The filler character in this episode was...disturbing to say the least. He looked like he was so frail, as if he was victim of some disease or something. Seriously, wtf?

The Great Butler
8th July 2006, 2:20 AM
^^Damn, CC, great minds think alike. When I saw the trailer for this episode I thought "What, does this revolve around Aipom force-feeding a 30-pound man Nanab Berries?!"

Aipom is officially the most adorable thing to come down the street in a long time....(well, OK, it doesn't beat Anabel but it is the cutest Pokémon....;))

Brock's fantasy scene with all the girls looks hilarious, as does Meowth's Boss Fantasy for this episode.

Dreamcoat
8th July 2006, 2:31 AM
Bleh at the writers for using the flower thing again.

Besides that, this episode seems to contain some fairly amusing Aipom moments.

SuperShadow
8th July 2006, 2:58 AM
So Aipom's female. Aipom seems to be the new Bayleef/Chikorita. Is there an AshxAipom or AipomxPikachu shipping?

The Great Butler
8th July 2006, 3:01 AM
Is there an AshxAipom

CapShipping, anyone?

ghost master
8th July 2006, 3:12 AM
CapShipping, anyone? I dunno I see this leading to pikachu X Aipom. They share similarities and have had a few moments together. It would also make a little bit of sense that it came so late in the saga.

Anyway this episode was easily just an excuse to bond with aipom if it wasnt obvious with the lackluster plot.

.Bambi.
8th July 2006, 3:49 AM
I don't know, Aipom just doesn't strike me as Female. I know it blushed, but then...? It could just be happy and appreciative that it's getting the attention from Ash it wanted.

If Aipom were female, I'd be acting A LOT more like Chikorita. Chikorita got REALLY catty and refused to even look at Pikachu, because she saw it as her main competition for Ash's affections. Aipom, on the other hand, spent the entire day with Pikachu with little to no hate. That's because it's not battling for affection, but for acknowledgment of it being apart of the team and deserving the same amount of respect Pikachu gets. As I said before, it's more of a "Aipom's not going to take it".

But that's just me...

CyberCubed
8th July 2006, 3:54 AM
Ash is also blushing in the episode while he's looking at Brock and the filler boy. Do they make fun of him or something?

Brock and Ash seem to be competitive in this episode, because of the whole crown and getting women thing that Brock obviously wants.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th July 2006, 4:03 AM
Aipom rules!

Wha? Beating up Meowth, Boss Fantasy, Giovanni with WINE!

A nice filler.

ashnmisty4eva
8th July 2006, 5:12 AM
Does anyone know why Ash was blushing and why later on Aipom was blushing? There has been some speculation to Aipom, but I was wondering about Ash, lol. Me no espeka japanesa, lol.

Manene!
8th July 2006, 5:31 AM
Aipom is dust damn cute. He's stupidly cute looking. I don't think he's a female. I think he's just gay. It doesn't really come off as female. I'm sticking with it being male and gay. :p Until proven otherwise.

And with the flower thing in the beginning, I'm surprised no one's tried to ship Aipom and Squirtle yet? FlowerShipping?

Flamez
8th July 2006, 6:01 AM
Seen the episode, and for one thing the animation was not good. Pikachus eyes looked really off at times and so did its head.
It was a good episode, I like Aipom so the time it got was good IMO. I like what .Combusken. said that "Aipom is not going to take it".
Brock having a fantasy of the women surrounding him was nice. Ash then just pushes hime aside (he hits the floor). May and Max hardly even talked in this episode. Seeing Nosepass was definetly good but when the guy called him out of his pokeball the music they had was really stupid, it sounded like that pac-man game for supernintendo. Nosepass used its nose to sense where pikachu and aipom were. When the mechanical fearow try to attack Aipom Ash covers him up protecting it. But they keep on pecking ash,lol.
The best thing about this episode was without a doubt Swellow. Watch this episode and you'll see why. It was bit*ch slapping like 50 fearow by itself, Swellow is officialy "GOD". Swellow got hit once but then came back and slapped up 3 more fearow in its path. It got surrounded then ash recalled it back. Make sure you remember that about 50 mechanical fearow could not knock out ash's swellow.
Well the ending is clear, ash and aipom hug, gotta love aipom. The COTD is announded King.
Thats it, overall i give it a 9/10.( Aipom and Swellow are a huge factor to that).

CyberCubed
8th July 2006, 6:14 AM
Ugh, I can't believe the writers finally got me to fall for Aipom. I am now of the crowd who finds it appealing, oddly enough. The amount of expressions Aipom went through in this episode was really fun, he has the perfect chemistry for a cartoon character. Damn, I'm actually starting to like Aipom now. Crazy!

Despite the poor animation, the Swellow Vs. Mecha Fearow scene was really great. I loved seeing it take on all the robo Fearow, it was rcertainly interesting.

Yay for Nosepass even though it didn't really do much. I still think the filler character had some sort of problem though, there was something really disturbing about his appearance. Wtf, he needs to gain some weight or something.

I'm surprised May's ending theme is still here, I thought for sure they'd replace it with something after the Grand Festival ended...

Kabuto
8th July 2006, 6:52 AM
Heh, another one of Ash's Ag pokemon that I instantly like. The writers have been doing great development with the pokemon in AG rather then the stale no-personality Johto pokemon. I still wish he had houndoom instead, but I guess we all need comic relief.

Torkoal Stu
8th July 2006, 8:33 AM
GOD Swellow gets used so much yet it only uses Ariel Ace or Quick Attack, I want some of its old attacks it used as Talliow :/

Aipom just looks kind of scary when it eats the berry and when it smiles at the end oO

Nosepass needed more time, but I hate Pokemon like Nosepass when Ash still looks them up even though he battled one >_>;

I'm starting to like Aipom, but if it pulls a Squirtle it must die...D:

Reece
8th July 2006, 10:27 AM
I must agree with CyberCubed, WTF at that filler character. Aipom was great in this episode, I hope it doesn't get the shaft like some of Ash's other Pokemon.

The Benmeister
8th July 2006, 12:01 PM
I thought I was unique in thinking Aipom was rather cute and cool. Obviously not.

Whilst the episode had a lot of bad points, it had good character development for Aipom, Nosepass, and a massive legion of robotic Fearow (why must they always be portrayed as evil...?) which is TR's greatest invention since...erm, the Giant Slaking. Meh, it was better than most fillers, I suppose.

Anole
8th July 2006, 12:14 PM
Aipom is dust damn cute. He's stupidly cute looking. I don't think he's a female. I think he's just gay. It doesn't really come off as female. I'm sticking with it being male and gay. :p Until proven otherwise.

And with the flower thing in the beginning, I'm surprised no one's tried to ship Aipom and Squirtle yet? FlowerShipping?

I just saw the ep pics and he IS soooo cute!

Haha I also don't see Aipom as female, but then I've always seen him as male since he became my fave G/S Pokemon so I could be biased...but gay Aipom..I'm all for that XD

The Big Al
8th July 2006, 12:42 PM
Toga Toga Toga

Alright. Now that that's out of me. Wait...

Toga

There. I'm now more convinced than ever that Aipom has to die. The hat thing is getting annoying.

So those were Rocket robo Fearows. I wonder who's going to want their head for wasting their robots.

Chatsy
8th July 2006, 12:42 PM
Aipom sure varies in size.

Heehee, Ash pushed Brock aside because his ga-ga mode was annoying. Wheee~
The character of the day looked indeed very ill. Oh my.

Wow, we finally saw a Brock fantasy with being surrounded by girls again. That's been a while. He's so lonely. XD

Not much May and Max in this episode.

Ash blushed.....why?
Awww, lots of hugging scenes. Just don't overdo it.

Aipom's expressions reminds me of that Keroro anime. Bwah.
This episode sure was meh. A little introduction to Aipom in the team, that's pretty much what made it interesting for me. Not to mention we saw a teensy weensy bit more personality apart from "Oh oh, ah ah! HAT OMG *steal*" thing we've seen till now.

ghost master
8th July 2006, 1:28 PM
There. I'm now more convinced than ever that Aipom has to die. The hat thing is getting annoying. Well we know why it did it this time. It doesnt matter because it had an actual excuse as to why it stole Ash's hat.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th July 2006, 3:07 PM
It seems it may rid that habit though.

And why do people think Aipom is gay? I mean, usually I don't think a animal showing love to the same gender is gay, I mean seriously.

SuperShadow
8th July 2006, 3:38 PM
CapShipping, anyone?

Sorry, didn't know it existed. Well we had the many faces of Aipom in this episode, and the female Aipom is the cutest thing. And it knows double team! Let's just hope that Aipom is a girl and would compete with Bayleef on Ash related issues.

Crimsonmon
8th July 2006, 3:53 PM
I've only watched up to Spurt so far, but it was a big shock to see that Forretress is still alive and well.

Manene!
8th July 2006, 6:45 PM
There. I'm now more convinced than ever that Aipom has to die. The hat thing is getting annoying.I think you're just looking for a reason to hate Aipom. If you want to complain about something getting old, how about Cacnea hugging James when he comes out his Pokeball? Or TR blasting off again?

Ash6K
8th July 2006, 7:06 PM
I think Aipom is a girl...I mean if Ash decides to bring Bayleef, Pikachu, and Aipom..think of the possiblities. But I liked this episode, at least we know that Forretress is getting some air. And Swellow is awesome btw, taking out those Fearow makes me think that Swellow is Ash's strongest flying type save Charizard. Aipom's character is quite funny but I'm a little bit annoyed it was like a copy of Baylleef and didn't battle at all.

dannyphantomhott
8th July 2006, 7:26 PM
I think Aipom is a girl...I mean if Ash decides to bring Bayleef, Pikachu, and Aipom..think of the possiblities. But I liked this episode, at least we know that Forretress is getting some air. And Swellow is awesome btw, taking out those Fearow makes me think that Swellow is Ash's strongest flying type save Charizard. Aipom's character is quite funny but I'm a little bit annoyed it was like a copy of Baylleef and didn't battle at all.

Oh man that would be too funny if Ash had all three Aipom/Bayleef/Pikachu on his team, they'd fight over him LOL. Any who I saw the images, it looks like a cute episode. I can't wait to see it over in the US.

Jikkle
8th July 2006, 9:48 PM
Ok after watching the episode and this is my observation from not knowing a lick of Japanese but hearing some English words mixed it this is my whole guess.

The crown makes you some kind of king whoever has the crown by sunset or something so towards the end it seemed like the there was a big rush to get the crown off Aipom so he wouldn't be king and have to stay. I think this because the gang mentions Brandon and the Battle Pyramid and it sounds like Ash says he doesn't care and will stay with Aipom no matter what which makes Aipom teary eye.

It sounded like the gang was praising Ash to give him encouragment which makes him blush. Aipom blushes because of all the nice thing Ash says about it.

Doesn't seem like Aipom is gay to me. Just because you see blushing doesn't instantly mean it's love all it means is embarrassment which can come from a variety of things. Aipom judging from the episode seems more like a brother competeing for a father's (Ash) attention against another sibling (Pikachu) than being in love with someone.

Ash6K
8th July 2006, 10:00 PM
^ Or sister-like. I still think Aipom is a girl, why else would it pick flowers and make it into some kind of head-wear.

Crimsonmon
8th July 2006, 10:02 PM
I forgot to mention it earlier, but this part really made me laugh:

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/5592/bscap22840ks.jpg

It flashed up for a few frames as Aipom was eating the Belue berry, it was a 'blink or you'll miss it moment' and I felt that I had to go back frame by frame to see if it was a subliminal message that just came up.

Harold the Wonder Dog
9th July 2006, 1:06 AM
Wouldn't recalling Aipom into its pokéball been a simple solution in getting the crown off its head? I find it unlikely that the crown would have gone with it inside.

IrkenAdolescent
9th July 2006, 1:45 AM
^ I think I remember seeing in some cases that clothing artciles do travel inside the Pokéball with the Pokémon.

Kthleen
9th July 2006, 5:00 AM
It sounded like the gang was praising Ash to give him encouragment which makes him blush.Actually, the green-haired guy asks if Aipom can do Double Team, then Haruka and Masato say something about it (I can't quite figure it out), Brock says it's a good idea, then Satoshi blushes and says, "If only I'd thought of that sooner...."

Medea
9th July 2006, 5:13 AM
Saw this a couple of hours ago and well...Meh!

Yeah, that's what I have to say. Although, I will say this. The way that Aipom acted when he got jealous of the whole Ash/Pikachu bond, reminded me so much of the Johto episode Chikorita's Big Upset. But that's just me and that's what it reminded me of. Now that one boy who was with Ash and the gang during the episode was kinda cute. Oh, here I am sounding like Phantom_Bugsy. But that's all I'm gonna say!

TheTurquoiseTauros!
9th July 2006, 5:16 AM
I saw Aipom using swift also.

Riva
9th July 2006, 6:48 AM
I think Aipom is a girl...I mean if Ash decides to bring Bayleef, Pikachu, and Aipom..think of the possiblities.
Aipom is a girl, Bulbapedia says so. So, guys, we were right. If Ash isn't careful, another one of his female pokemon may develope a crush on him.

Yamato-san
9th July 2006, 10:43 AM
[checks episode again] it's true... Sakaki was drinking wine. The Japanese version is well on its way to letting loose the shackles of edit-crazy 4kids. ^^

Speaking of dubbers, it seems like the English version's gonna lose a couple puns involving Rocket Dan. During their motto, Musashi's line "Evil flowers that courageously bloom" has CG flowers blooming in the background. Kojirou's line "The sweet-hearted villians have arrived" depicts CG sweets in the background. Considering that the English version changed the new motto quite a bit from the Japanese version... then again, nothing that an occasional motto alteration couldn't help (or, they could just ignore it altogether.... it would be awkward if they have candy float behind James for no good reason 0_0). Guess it's gonna be a wait-and-see type thing.

They also seemed to make some joke about "crown" and "bottle caps" (which are both called "oukan" in Japanese). Musashi complains that they couldn't steal the "oukan", when Kojirou wonders if his "oukan" could be worth anything (only to be thrown away by Musashi afterwards, proclaiming them to be worthless XD). BTW, what was with the wind that blew after Nyaasu said something? Does that indicate a character just said a lame joke or what (I think I saw it used in an anime before)?

Despite the poor animation, the Swellow Vs. Mecha Fearow scene was really great. I loved seeing it take on all the robo Fearow, it was rcertainly interesting.

you got that right. Oosubame f***ing rocks in this episode, and though it was brief, him going against the Mecha Onidrill Army was definitely one of the best parts of the episode. If you're only looking at screenshots of this episode, still shots do not do the guy justice. I mean, look at this and see what you're missing out on.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/d2ae7a46.pnghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/3033313c.png

After bashing one Onidrill out of the way, he then proceeds to grasp another by the neck before tossing it behind him.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/9698595b.pnghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/70f73878.png

Afterwards, he lowers his altitude and goes in to strike another mecha from below...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/3c24a511.pnghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/c878ef76.png

Followed immediately by an aerial sommersault.

GOD Swellow gets used so much yet it only uses Ariel Ace or Quick Attack, I want some of its old attacks it used as Talliow :/

actually, he wasn't commanded to use any attacks the whole time, and judging from the lack of wind swirls and speed lines and glowing wings, the only attack he might've used on his own was Peck. Otherwise, it was just straight-up hitting and bashing.

Torkoal Stu
9th July 2006, 10:46 AM
actually, he wasn't commanded to use any attacks the whole time, and judging from the lack of wind swirls and speed lines and glowing wings, the only attack he might've used on his own was Peck. Otherwise, it was just straight-up hitting and bashing.
Really? Guess its the pictures playing tricks on me, but in the Spencer episode (I believe) when it was used it did nothing but Ariel Ace, you got to admit that attack gets old fast.

Aipom is a girl, Bulbapedia says so. So, guys, we were right. If Ash isn't careful, another one of his female pokemon may develope a crush on him.
Bulbapedia to my knowledge has been wrong time and time again. However it might be, but I wouldn't say since Bulbpedia said it its 100% correct.

Gravy
9th July 2006, 5:29 PM
Really? Guess its the pictures playing tricks on me, but in the Spencer episode (I believe) when it was used it did nothing but Ariel Ace, you got to admit that attack gets old fast.
All of Swellow's attacks are mind numbingly redundant, there's no way around it. But just the way Swellow actually pulls of these techniques and puts them to use is enough reason to overlook that. When planning out a battle scene, the writers of this show have a lot more freedom with a flying pokémon than one that is firmly pegged to the ground. They can throw in barrel-rolls, corkscrews, the works. Swellow may essentially be reduced to smashing into it's opponents, but damn. The bird does it with style, and it never fails to bore.

Kthleen
9th July 2006, 6:10 PM
Yamato-san, do you know what Haruka and Masato were saying about Hiyoshi's Double Team suggestion?

Judai Yuki
9th July 2006, 6:23 PM
Good thing Aipoms a girl.But we'll almost never see Bayleef on Ash's team anyway.

Rufinito18
9th July 2006, 7:30 PM
Yay! Aipom is a girl!
Anyways, I just saw the episode. I love the swift and the CG in this episode, except Nosepass. Sometimes Aipom is crosseyed. It's weird.
I actually was able to undestand most things in this episode, except the TR motto. :)
I officially love Aipom

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th July 2006, 8:48 PM
Their is no proof Aipom was a girl, anyone can edit Bulbapedia (except for the Bulbanews, that is usually trsutworthy), so it could be either gender.

Jikkle
9th July 2006, 9:01 PM
Well in the writers defense Swellow doesn't exactly have a very interesting move set. Most of it's moves are something that would be hard to do in Anime or stuff we've seen a million times already (Hyper Beam, Steel Wing). The only move I would like to see especially since it fits it's personality is Endeavor.

As for the episode Swellow was pretty cool in the episode as it just went bashing and actually doing some true dog fighting which is actually rare in the animie with flying types.

Phantom_Bugsy
10th July 2006, 12:21 AM
Oh my jeebus.

I just saw the screenshot and stuff for that ep.

That guy in the green with the greenish hair?

...I'd totally hit it and not have any regrets about it. I'd hit that HARD. Over and over. *_____* Yep, I'd totally f*ck that.

Damn, he's fine.

Oh, um...and so it doesn't sound like spam... yay Belue Berry.

But still. HOT GUY THAT P_B WOULD HIT. HAAAAAAARD. I'D HIT IT LIKE NO MAN OR WOMAN BUT MORE LIKELY MAN BECAUSE HE TOTALLY LOOKS TEH_GAY HAS EVER HIT IT BEFORE!

Geodude
10th July 2006, 5:31 AM
Indeed, Swellow reminds us all why it is THE most badass Flyer we have ever seen in the anime.

And yeah, Giovanni + real wine = in your FACE, 4Kids! :D

ashnmisty4eva
10th July 2006, 5:31 AM
They also seemed to make some joke about "crown" and "bottle caps" (which are both called "oukan" in Japanese). Musashi complains that they couldn't steal the "oukan", when Kojirou wonders if his "oukan" could be worth anything (only to be thrown away by Musashi afterwards, proclaiming them to be worthless XD).

Haha, I saw the bottle caps, then Musashi throwing them away, and Kojiro's reaction, and I just laughed. Lol. Oh Kojiro and his bottle caps. :);munchlax;

HoennMaster
10th July 2006, 7:36 AM
Indeed, Swellow reminds us all why it is THE most badass Flyer we have ever seen in the anime.

I bet PUSA/TAJ edits that though.

Judai Yuki
10th July 2006, 7:42 AM
They may not,I don't see any reason why.
P_B:That's Soo sig worthy! xP

-Judai

Ashy Boy
10th July 2006, 8:24 AM
Great filler ep, but I didn't like Jessie's dream sequence of her winning a pagent. It was annoying and predictable.

Gravy
10th July 2006, 4:04 PM
Great filler ep, but I didn't like Jessie's dream sequence of her winning a pagent. It was annoying and predictable.
I agree. Infact, if it wasn't for Swellow beating on a bunch of robots, that very random and VERY annoying 5 second shot of Jessie would have rendered this episode totally unwatchable. Perhaps even making it the worst episode in the entire show's history.

Ash6K
10th July 2006, 4:07 PM

I agree, Swellow owns all other flying types as of now. As with Giovanni and the wine thing, PUSA/Taj will have some dialogue that will say Giovanni is sipping sparkling grape juice.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th July 2006, 4:11 PM
I agree. Infact, if it wasn't for Swellow beating on a bunch of robots, that very random and VERY annoying 5 second shot of Jessie would have rendered this episode totally unwatchable. Perhaps even making it the worst episode in the entire show's history.

Are you being sarcastic? This episode was far from being the worse filler even without Swellow kicking butt. In fact, I'd say it ranks very high for a filler on the Tripple Doppler Filler Radar!

Juputoru
10th July 2006, 6:43 PM
Are you being sarcastic?
How anyone can be in Pokemon Anime frequently without knowing that Gravy jokes like that a lot is beyond me.

Anywho...typed-as-I-looked-at-the-pictures commentary! (haven't watched the ep. Yet.)
-COTD-san would look SO less terminally ill if his clothes actually fit him.
-Been a while since Brock got a fantasy scene like that. Heh.
-At this rate Hatless!Ash won't be anything special
-Gio fantasy with him playing...something...with the crown? Odd. not that the Pokemon-centric ones are any better.
-With architecture like that...what is this place, ancient Greece?
-Bii-daa! Haven't seen one of those in a while either!
-Damn the animators need to decide what size Aipom is. I don't pay much attention to animation and even I notice that it seems to be a different size every episode.
-Nosepass!
-Marshtomp is alive!
-Damn Swellow kicks ***. And to think that once upon a time we assumed it'd turn out like Ash's other birds.
-Interesting to see TR use more than one mecha at once, btw. Don't think they've done THAT before...
-Funny how sour foods can cause the structure of one's head to change so radically for 30 seconds. :p
-Aipom's schtick this ep is pretty much a rehash of various Chikorita/Bayleef things, but I don't care. Bayleef was one of Ash's few Johto Pokes that was at all memorable, so all the better. :P

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th July 2006, 6:48 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty gullible, even his sigs are sarcastic, but that honestly sounded like he was serious. XD

Phantom_Bugsy
10th July 2006, 8:46 PM
-COTD-san would look SO less terminally ill if his clothes actually fit him.

But I like his clothes all hot and falling off him! ;0; That and sick boys are the sex. Just look at Joly.

COTD-sama. <333

I'd hit that so hard Kanto would shake.

I'd hit that so hard he'd get pounded into the ground and get his hips broken and won't THAT be an interesting trip to the ER?

Yamato-san
11th July 2006, 12:34 AM
Yamato-san, do you know what Haruka and Masato were saying about Hiyoshi's Double Team suggestion?

They were just talking about how it's a good trick. I think Masato said that it could help draw the enemies together.

-Damn Swellow kicks ***. And to think that once upon a time we assumed it'd turn out like Ash's other birds.

that comment's so true, it made me LOL. XD

Feity
11th July 2006, 4:20 AM
hmm... what exactly was up with the text going across the screen at the part where Aipom and Pikachu leave the cave?

Geodude
11th July 2006, 6:19 AM
Those things happen every now and then in the Japanese eps. They're usually some sort of public service announcement. For example, there was at least one about the earthquakes they had there last year. So that one was probably a storm warning or something.

Yamato-san
11th July 2006, 7:11 AM
actually, from what I recall, I think this one was talking about some kind of Pokemon jungle promotional event or something. I think it mentioned Diamond/Pearl, so maybe it's talking about the playable demos that are gonna be available soon.

Feity
11th July 2006, 4:18 PM
actually, from what I recall, I think this one was talking about some kind of Pokemon jungle promotional event or something. I think it mentioned Diamond/Pearl, so maybe it's talking about the playable demos that are gonna be available soon.
huh, that's cool.

Swellow was mondo badass in this. :O

Ash6K
11th July 2006, 5:19 PM
^ You got to love Swellow. Aipom has the best facial expressions...okay so I really don't approve Aipom as a battling pokemon but I love that monkey as a comic character.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
12th July 2006, 1:28 PM
Takeshi was at his comedic best in this episode!
Aipom reminds me very much of Chikorita/Bayleef when it was jealous of Ash's attention to Pikachu. In the preview that was added onto last week's episode, I thought that kid that 'wins' in the end was Tracy! Totally agree that Swellow is an amazing fighter. I'll never forget that battle against Tate & Liza in 'Solid As A Solrock', where it endured Pikachu's attacks and became gold. Brilliant.

Pika Hikari KT
12th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Those things happen every now and then in the Japanese eps. They're usually some sort of public service announcement. For example, there was at least one about the earthquakes they had there last year. So that one was probably a storm warning or something.
They happen here too, but usually on Saturday mornings. The FoxBox got cut off once when the Colombia shuttle exploded.><;

Sombrero
2nd September 2006, 4:55 PM
I love this episode. Aipom was so cute!

WaterDragon trainer
15th December 2006, 2:24 AM
This episode was pretty good. It was funny when Brock got trampled. Aipom really rocked in this episode. It was really awesome that Aipom was considered part of the family. It was also cool to see that guy become king.

Outlawz
15th December 2006, 2:26 AM
Nice episode, Aipom has a cute voice, I really like it.

ShinyManafi
15th December 2006, 2:27 AM
I like this episode ^_^, Brock was so harlious in this one, and Aipom was so cute and adorable

PrepXCore21
15th December 2006, 2:28 AM
I love Aipom.. just curious is he a monkey-like pokemon

BattleFranky~40
15th December 2006, 2:39 AM
It lacked someone saying "Hail to the king, baby."

chosen_one386
15th December 2006, 2:41 AM
I love Aipom.. just curious is he a monkey-like pokemon

Um, as far as I can gather, he is. -_-

Anyway, here's my three points

1. Aipom's new dub voice sounds EXACTLY like a real life monkey's and it sounds TOTALLY cute.

2. Dude, Hank (was that the guys name) looks like he's 20 pounds... That village is going to have a pretty frail king. And how many of you guessed as soon as he was introduced that he would end up becoming the king?

3. It was so sweet when Ash said that he wouldn't leave Aipom behind if it became king. It made me go Aah...

pokeplayer9100
15th December 2006, 2:49 AM
I liked how they had team rocket blast off in sunset pastels before we saw the clouded sky.

CyroEmerald_Z
15th December 2006, 2:56 AM
This was a great episode. Aipom made itself look so much cuter to me now and i never realized how big it was compared to Pikachu.

.::Cyro::.

CabbyFish
15th December 2006, 2:56 AM
Wait, Aipom had a new dub voice instead of its original voice like it had in the last three episodes?

Darkness Angel
15th December 2006, 5:33 AM
This one was ok I guess.

Nintendo_6444
15th December 2006, 1:43 PM
I liked Aipom in this ep, she was so cute. ^_^

jolteonjak
16th December 2006, 3:00 AM
This was such a cute Crackchildshipper episode (looked that up in the Shipping forum...Ash/Aipom for those not in the know). I was worried that Aipom would become obnoxiously jealous like Chikorita did at first, but it seems to not be happening.

Ash actually showed a better side when he said he'd stay by Aipom's side if it became the king. Last time I saw that side (aside from the normal PotD) was when he rescued his Torkoal from the Steel Valley.

Hopefully now that Hank is king he can get some royal feasts in him...damn that boy needs to eat.

I must admit, this was one of those Crazy Brock moments where I wasn't thoroughly annoyed by his actions. It was actually quite comical.

I know some others were pleased by the appearance of Nosepass.

Greninja VI
16th December 2006, 4:59 AM
I liked Aipom in this ep, she was so cute. ^_^

Aipom.. Is a he... I'm a guy, But this episode.. I don't know... Aipom was... Cute! The way he hugged ash and the way his eyes grew when ash said he'spart of the family... It was almost as if he said, "**** the battle pyramid! I stay here with aipom and you stay here with me and aipom too!" I love aipom now... (Not "love" love...)

Nintendo_6444
16th December 2006, 1:57 PM
I can call Aipom whatever I want okay? -_-#

Ash6K
16th December 2006, 4:38 PM
Aipom is a girl, at least that's what May said in the Japanese version. I don't know if she said it in the dub (considering that I only saw the episode after the opening).

I liked this episode. Aipom was kinda cute with the crown stuck in its head! And Pikachu trying to pull it off- priceless. Also Swellow was awesome and is a reason why it is my favorite flyer.

Jorah
16th December 2006, 11:09 PM
Had a rather odd plot and that town is just crazy, but it was an enjoyable episode anyway. Aipom's growing on me now...oh, I found a funny quote

Ash: My hat's sure been getting around

That made me s******...ah well, I think this episode has made me like Aipom now. Hey, why can't I post s******? It has no double meaning, does it?

s******: a disrespectful laugh

Huh?

Geodude
17th December 2006, 4:13 PM
Just use snicker instead. Means the same thing.

Weavile_Striker
22nd December 2006, 4:01 AM
I wonder why they took out the quote of when May said that Aipom was a girl. I loiked it when Aipomstole Ash's hat(AGAIN), and replaced it with the flower hoop. But boy of boy, that new king needs to EAT! He's like a twig!

mrbrightside69
24th December 2006, 3:57 AM
Ok so this episode was complete crap! I mean come on, how lame. Pokemon had really started going downhill since cartoonnetwork got the series. The plots are complete trash, I mean I wonder how much the writers make. Like a dollar and a half eaten apple? I mean why in the world would an Aipom become king just because it got the crown, what stable villlage or town would let a pokemon make all the decisions, and what was with Ash? "I guess i'll just have to wait here with you for a year, and forget about the battle pyramid."

If you missed this episode, don't bother watching it. 1/10, just because i had to give it something.

Geodude
2nd January 2007, 1:16 PM
Pokemon had really started going downhill since cartoonnetwork got the series.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the plot and you know it. It's still the exact same show from Japan. Stop finding ridiculous things to complain about, you're only making yourself look foolish.

CyberCubed
2nd January 2007, 5:54 PM
^ This is coming from the same person who hates everything from AG onward simply because Misty isn't in it.

Notice his title as "The Water Warrior" and a banner full of water Pokemon, he's made remarks like this in other threads before.

I find it amazing that nearly 5 years later, there are still bitter Misty fans out there. It's amazing that they still cannot get over Misty being gone when it happened way back in 2002 and we're now in 2007. WTF.

Gravy
2nd January 2007, 6:02 PM
I think this episode would have been better if Misty were in it. She'd have made some sort of sarcy comment regarding Ash and Aipom's relationship. Or possibly a pun. Or a combination of both!

Dragon Sire
6th January 2007, 3:29 PM
How would it be better? Misty is just one character and one character does not make a difference. And even then she is mostly a side character that lost her point long before the Battle Frontier episode. I just don't understand fanboys.

Now about this particular episode don't you guys think that Hank looks sick?

asia_catdog_blue
6th January 2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder if the Mecha-Fearow explode? And Giovanni should have ruled both TR and the village.

Medea
6th January 2007, 10:39 PM
Okay, I finally saw this because I didn't feel like staying up past 9pm the last time it aired.

Anywho, didn't care much for this episode and mostly because Aipom is reminding me so much of the whole Chikorita flashback to Johto. Now could you just imagine if Aipom were really king? Well, it'll be like America is now but with more fleas and poo flinging. But beyond my crackpot theory, Hank was such a cuttie and that's the only thing that kept me going through the episode.

wobbanut
9th January 2007, 6:28 AM
Of course Cartoon Network has to skip over a rerun of the last part of the Grand Festival. Grr. Now I have to wait for reruns to see that episode.

At least I got to see this episode. I found it pretty funny, especially when Brock wanted the crown so bad. Aipom's a real cutie, I've warmed up to it pretty quick. :) I was surprised that Ash was actually considering staying behind while his Aipom ruled for a year. I think I see why he would, but it's still kind of odd that he would put his whole journey on hiatus for a year just to be with his new pokemon. It made me relieved when the guest character (what was his name again?) got the crown instead. He was a great guy, too, I liked him.

I also loved Meowth's boss fantasy for this episode. "Nothin' says lovin' like a boss and his crown." "Oh, I could think of a few things." LOL :D I also liked Meowth saying to save it for another cartoon show.

Overall, 7/10.

Dreamcoat
8th May 2007, 6:15 PM
Does anyone remember the name of the COTD, the guy who got to be king?

Kuroshi
12th May 2007, 8:24 AM
His name is Hank.

Knight_Ram
23rd June 2007, 10:36 AM
I didn't really like this episode. Just liked the fact that the guy became king.

4/10 by me.

Rebeccag
12th July 2007, 12:00 AM
Ive never really got to see this in full but Im glad that hank got to be kind. Apart from that I dont really like this episode im not sure why but i dont

HoennMaster
24th October 2008, 11:24 PM
After watching this again today....I still love this episode. Just a random episode.

Tadashi
26th October 2008, 8:59 PM
Aipom with a crown? wee, this is fun... =\

Seriously, this was such a boring episode. At the very least, we established that Aipom could be female. At least the right person was crowned in the end :P

GDE
26th October 2008, 9:02 PM
this episode kind of irritated me, due to the fact that aipom was very irritating and it was too predictable

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:24 PM
This was a cute episode. Aipom was adorable in that crown. The way everyone went crazy for it was laughable.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:31 PM
he he all hail to king aipom is what i said when i first saw that episode with a friend,
itb was a good episode i must say that.

Littlemyuu
13th March 2009, 2:56 AM
It was a cool episode, Aipom with a crown is just cute ^_^

catzisconfus
13th August 2009, 6:08 PM
i dont understand how the berry got the crown of aipom's head ...

Surfer_Dude
26th September 2009, 6:49 AM
This episode is good. Aipom is always awesome. this is one of the episodes that leads up to ash catching aipom :)

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:01 PM
Great filler, my favorite in this season.

I loved how Ash was loyal to Aipon, but eventually everything was fine.

9/10

Lorde
26th December 2009, 6:57 AM
This episode irratated me, because it was another episode that focused on Aipom, which we didn't need. It was purely Filler. Nothing interesting really. Aipom got more character development though, which was obvious. Some people would say that's good since it was new to the group, but too much of a good thing can be bad. I liked that Aipom got that crown stuck on it's head though. Seeing it in agony filled me with pleasure haha. 3/10.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 2:59 PM
What would have happened to the series if Ash had stayed with Aipom?

Painkiller2001
28th January 2011, 11:39 PM
Aipom.. Is a he... I'm a guy, But this episode.. I don't know... Aipom was... Cute! The way he hugged ash and the way his eyes grew when ash said he'spart of the family... It was almost as if he said, "**** the battle pyramid! I stay here with aipom and you stay here with me and aipom too!" I love aipom now... (Not "love" love...)

To me that look said "*gasp* I'm family!!!!"

--

*Looks at his Aipom cuteness meter. Sees that it's broken!*

Aipom officially broke my cuteness meter in this episode!
He looked so adorable with that crown stuck on his head.
I'm really glad Ash caught the little guy!

Also, yeah. That Hank guy was thinner than a pencil!
My god, eat something, man!

G50
27th April 2011, 3:02 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see this episode centered around Aipom. It was odd that winning wasn't neccessarily a good thing in this episode. It was cool to find out that Aipom knows Double Team. It was funny when they had Aipom eat a sour berry to make its head compress so they could get the crown off its head so that Aipom wouldn't be declared the winner.

20/100

Vernikova
27th September 2012, 8:22 PM
Boring episode. Aipom isn't interesting and neither was this episode.

PokemontrainerY
2nd August 2013, 2:11 PM
This was an irritating episode. Aipom was really annoying here, and the COTD was a bland character.
But it's funny when Aipom got the crown stuck on it's head. xD

Painkiller2001
17th November 2014, 11:36 PM
The part where Ash refers to Aipom as part of the family is still super adorable and sweet! :)