PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Phyrexian Etchings (7/9/06)

chaoslord
9th July 2006, 7:11 AM
God, this place is dead. I haven't been here in a bit, and yet, nothing.

Pft.

So, I took it upon myself to pick a random card as opposed to the crap me and Kaizer were going to pick as a joke.

Instead, I present neo-Necropotence that isnt broken like the first time they tried to fix it:

Phyrexian Etchings BBB
Enchantment
Cumulative upkeep {B} (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)
At the end of your turn, draw a card for each age counter on Phyrexian Etchings.
When Phyrexian Etchings is put into a graveyard from play, you lose 2 life for each age counter on it.

Everyone seems to hate this card.

I love it.

Besides the highly intensive B, of course. Still though. In W/B Samurai of the Pale Curtain, or any other way to remove it from the game, and no penalty for you. Or, if you're U/B, bounce to hand. B/R is screwed, and B/G...well....with the mana smoothing in G, if you cant win with insane draw with a half green deck and the fatties in includes, odds are you weren't going to win anyways.

I'm a huge fan of using your life to draw cards. This is such an occurence. And it's only a possibility. After a turn, its BBBB, 2 life, draw 3 cards. May seem expensive, but in the long run, 4 mana and 2 life isnt all THAT bad to get 3 cards. And after three turns, mana, 5 mana, 4 life, 6 cards. Then 6 mana, 6 life, 10 cards. etc etc.

Not as bad as some people make it out to be. They truly nailed down fixed Necropotence this time, as opposed to the first try, which I will not name for reasons of preventing shenanigans.

4/5 sounds good, but since the PR was today, I reserve the right to change my judgment if the card is shown to suck once its turn in T2 comes round.

Felix Feral Fezirix
9th July 2006, 5:15 PM
I just don't like drawing at the end of the turn. It's like the worst thing to do...Since you'll have to discard extras immediately.

Graagh. Sure, you can get some use out of it, but I wouldn't try using it for competitive play.

2/5.

Shadow the Hedgehog
10th July 2006, 1:48 AM
Hmmm..... Not a big fan. By the time you get enough cards to be worth is you have to discard. 2.5/5 I can see it getting play but not much outside of a deck designed to use it. With the discard maybe reanimation.

Rudimentarybrain
10th July 2006, 6:32 AM
I'd rather run phyrexian arena, its faster and has a better cost. Casual 1.75/5 tournament 1/5