PDA

View Full Version : N'cha! It's Dr. Slump!

Ridley-X4
13th July 2006, 2:00 PM
Who reads this manga from Akria Toriyama, the creator of your "DBZ"? I have all the volumes released in the U.S. by now, and when volume 9 comes out in September, I'm going to get it! They say that in this one, Dr. Senbei and Ms. Yamabuki get married, and Senbei builds a brother for Arale!

Chris
14th July 2006, 9:16 AM
Why does everyone feel they have to say "Dr. Slump, from the creator of Dragon Ball Z?" :\ Makes it sound like Dragon Ball wasn't important nor done by him.

Anywho, I love Toriyama's work and Dr. Slump is probably my second favorite of his work. Unfortunately, it's a pain finding some bookstores that keep up with the series as I'm only finding some having either the first three books or upto volume seven. A little miffed about some of the censoring done, but eh.

Sachiko
14th July 2006, 2:24 PM
I like Dr. Slump a lot. It's a really funny manga!! I am now eagerly looking forward to volume 9 thanks to what Ridley-X4 said. That'll be an interesting change.

My favorite story in Dr.Slump is probably the one where Senbei has to appear on TV. What's everyone else's favorite story??

Bye'cha!! ^^

MarcelloF
17th July 2006, 6:49 PM
Dr.Slump was made before Dragon Ball (witch in Japan never had the Z in the Manga)
And Dr.Slump ends by volume 18 (its over in Germany,where I live) so I don't really think that that would happen, but I 've only read the beginning of number 1 at the store so I'm not sure.

Solar Crimson
8th August 2006, 11:20 PM
I bought volumes 1 and 2 last week (as my tendency to buy titles I was introduced to in Jump Superstars), and they're hilarious. I laughed through both of those books. Arale's song in volume 2 was hilarious.

Arale: Hey, Gatchan! I'll teach you a song! One! Two! A-one, two, three, four! *sings* Lit-tle Michi, Michi-Mitcheee! She's all poopy, poopy-poopeee!
Senbei: *falls out of his chair*
Arale: Got no paper! So she'll use her haaaaand...
Senbei: *picks himself up*
Arale: Don't want to waste it! Might as well taste it!
Senbei: *falls again* That's... not... funny!

This manga is even funnier than Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (although, for not, Bo-bobo is a standalone here in the U.S.), and I'm definately gonna be getting the other volumes.

BattleFranky~40
8th August 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm definatly not a fan of the censoring the American version has, but it's a good manga overall. Better than DBZ, atleast.

-SBM12-
15th August 2006, 7:51 PM
Dr. Slump is SOOO funny. I've only read Vol. 1-4 so far, waiting for Vol. 5 to come in a local library. The Michi song is also funny. Y'know, Senbei's a serious pervert -_-;;; Remember the part when Arale is supposed to buy Senbei 10 cups of instant ramen, and ends up buying a bra?!

akane_rose
16th August 2006, 4:17 AM
rose: I like read the first volume and thought it was funny. :)

Erus Black Mage
16th August 2006, 4:19 AM
I read a preview of it on shonen jump, looks good.

akane_rose
16th August 2006, 4:41 AM
rose: I'd say the characters are lovable. :)

Sachiko
22nd August 2006, 9:53 PM
Arale: Hey, Gatchan! I'll teach you a song! One! Two! A-one, two, three, four! *sings* Lit-tle Michi, Michi-Mitcheee! She's all poopy, poopy-poopeee!
Senbei: *falls out of his chair*
Arale: Got no paper! So she'll use her haaaaand...
Senbei: *picks himself up*
Arale: Don't want to waste it! Might as well taste it!
Senbei: *falls again* That's... not... funny!

That was so funny!! Especially the last line in the song.

Chris
23rd August 2006, 5:11 AM
I'm definatly not a fan of the censoring the American version has, but it's a good manga overall. Better than DBZ, atleast.

Better than the censoring done in the DBZ manga. o_o; It's funny how we can see the manga goes from childish to pervish at times, yet they censor all references to alcohol, even when they're told they're not for kids and are punished whenever they drink the "super punch."

Although Peasuke loosing his "Lil' Peasuke" was rather funny.

And then of course you have your blackface edits.

Ridley-X4
2nd September 2006, 5:24 PM
Volume 10 comes out on 11/7/06.

Chris
2nd September 2006, 6:04 PM
I guess that would explain why I haven't seen anything beyond Volume 9 as of recently.

bigboss1022
2nd September 2006, 7:34 PM
Why does everyone feel they have to say "Dr. Slump, from the creator of Dragon Ball Z?" :\ Makes it sound like Dragon Ball wasn't important nor done by him.

Anywho, I love Toriyama's work and Dr. Slump is probably my second favorite of his work. Unfortunately, it's a pain finding some bookstores that keep up with the series as I'm only finding some having either the first three books or upto volume seven. A little miffed about some of the censoring done, but eh.
how censored is it