PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the third generation

JohtoBlaziken
15th July 2006, 6:42 PM
As the title says, what were your opinions on the third generation? For example, did you like the Pokemon design, town design, region of Hoenn, etc.

I'll let other people post before I let my opinions be known....

DragonDance
15th July 2006, 6:43 PM
So far, the best gen yet. But the 4th gen will be better.

Alakazam
15th July 2006, 6:44 PM
The 3rd gen has been the best, so far...

Darth_paul
15th July 2006, 6:46 PM
Yeah. I think it was the best so far too.

PkmnTrainerJ
15th July 2006, 6:54 PM
Yeah, best so far in design & graphics, and the fact that it bought in contests and double battles along with natures and things makes it excellent.

Though I wasn't psyched about the release of R/S at all, now I love 'em.

Pottsie
15th July 2006, 6:58 PM
It is the best Generation I've played.

summnor1201
15th July 2006, 7:37 PM
Liked it but the 2nd gen is still my favorite

Brick Road
15th July 2006, 7:37 PM
I've been playing the pokémon games sonce day one, and this Gen is my favorite

B R ~

Trooper Guy
15th July 2006, 7:40 PM
I liked this generation (my second favourite generation, actually), as this one outstood most for me. The pokemon designs were alot more colourful and tropical, new ideas were being used (ex. contests) and also changed the way we battle (ex. double battles). And also, they had pokemon that change forms depending on the weather (Castform) and depending on what game it was on, (Deoxys), I wasn't a big fan of this idea, but the innovation was there.

Ben Kenobi
15th July 2006, 7:43 PM
It to me, made the previous generations seem redundant since I haven't really played them since the release of Advance Generation with the superior graphics and gameplay.

Infinite Master Sceptile
15th July 2006, 7:50 PM
I like it a lot, though it has many flaws. The Pokemon are excellent. THe problem is one of complexity. They made it so Pokemon could be for hardcore gamers. But Pokemon is not a hardcore gaming game. EVs, Abilities, and Natures were all unnecessary. Though Contests were nice, and the plot of the games was generally good, though Mew is completely unobtainable, and Deoxys almost so.

Comray001
15th July 2006, 8:12 PM
Yeah I did not like EV's but overall it was the best gen yet

Zora
15th July 2006, 8:17 PM
Likable, but falls short to Johto.

Moonlight.
15th July 2006, 8:17 PM
Best generation, IMO, even though my favourite Pokemon games are probably GSC.

Being the latest generation, it's pretty much advanced in every way: choice of Pokemon, graphics, game mechanics, etc. The 3rd gen has greatly expanded competitive battling, with the introduction of natures and EVs. The 3rd gen is also the longest and most varied generation, featuring 3 different regions (as well as Battle Fronteir and Sevii Islands) and 7 main games.

Hoenn was also a very interesting region, full of many different and original towns (pacifidlog and foretree come to mind), as well as arguably the most creative Pokemon so far.

AkariKanzaki
15th July 2006, 8:52 PM
I very much enjoyed the third generation. I got into Pokemon when the first generation games initially were released. However, I think I burnt myself out on Pokemon and the second generation didn't offer me enough to make it worth attempting. I skipped that generation entirely. When Ruby/Sapphire came out, I got back into Pokemon. Here's what I like about it:

- more Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire introduced 135 new Pokemon. Since I personally had skipped second gen, that number was 235 for me. The Hoenn Pokemon were nice additions. I love the Torchic family, Skitty, Zigzagoon/Linoone, the Ralts family, and more.

- 2-2 battling: unfortunately this wasn't taken advantage of more completely until Emerald (even there I think more can be done) but I enjoyed this aspect. Old moves, such as Surf, could affect 2 Pokemon at once. Some of the stat upping moves gained even more usefulness. This added a whole new dimension to battling strategy.

- abilities: 99% of the time, I loved abilities in the game. I think the only time I didn't like them was when I ran into a Trapinch and didn't feel like battling but was forced to defeat it anyway. The abilities made some of the older Pokemon feel a bit more useful in battle, and some abilities made Pokemon useful to have in your party even if you weren't going to use them to battle. Zigzagoon/Linoone's Pickup ability got such useful items for me I had one in my party pretty much the entire game.

- breeding: I know this was introduced in second generation, but third generation's breeding felt more necessary and I liked that. You could breed Pokemon specifically to raise them up for contests or to try to get good IVs and natures. The combination of abilities and breeding (Pokemon Emerald) made breeding even easier as well.

- the first generation remakes: I know some people don't like these but I was happy to see Kanto come back. Kanto felt a lot more enjoyable with the 3rd generation additions of breeding, abilities, double battles, and more. I also liked that, thanks to them, we were able to get the rest of the Kanto Pokemon not available in Hoenn and a bunch of the Johto Pokemon.

- the Gamecube games: One thing that disappointed me about the Stadium games is that they didn't have a storyline. Colosseum and XD introduced a new region, a new Pokemon concept (Shadow Pokemon), and a new way to catch Pokemon (snagging). The fact that there weren't wild Pokemon to catch, the inability to walk from town to town yourself, and no gym leaders or Elite 4 disappointed some people but I still found them very enjoyable. Before Emerald came out, Colosseum was the only way to get the missing Johto Pokemon that were not in FireRed/LeafGreen and even now, the 2 games (plus their pre-order disc) are the only legit ways to get Jirachi, Lugia, and Ho-Oh without an event.

Unlike what happened after first generation, I don't feel burnt out. In fact, I'm more into Pokemon than ever before. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what fourth generation brings us.

Random Ryuu
15th July 2006, 8:54 PM
it's like the best one. i liked it better than the 1st and 2nd generation. the graphics are way better and the pokemon are cooler. plus there are the pokemon contests and battle frontier.

Charizard86
15th July 2006, 9:02 PM
Though the previous 2 sets of pokemon were better, (I mean half the pokemon had ridiculous names that I can't remember how to spell), there were so many improvements to the whole pokemon system that it made the game much more fun, especially the special abilities.

Captain Brain
15th July 2006, 9:13 PM
In comparison to Johto far superior in all ways except for simplicity. Too complex to just pick up and play. You have to spend as much time researching the games as you do playing it or you miss out on a lot of cool features. ;025;

water types rule
15th July 2006, 9:19 PM
I like the 3rd gen best so far(can't say tooo much on the 4th yet). It added in better Pokemon than the other 2 IMO. And I like the designs better too, they seem a little more creative.
The 3rd gen also gave us some really good Pokes, like Salamence,Rayquayza,Swampert,Sceptile,Blaziken(the best starters yet I think),Metagross,Slaking, among others.

FireHead Hank
15th July 2006, 9:26 PM
The 3rd gen is my favorite so far. Especially because of the cool Pokemon designs(like Nosepass). Hoenn, as a region, is awesome too; I love it.

Snow
15th July 2006, 9:31 PM
It's my favorite yet the pokemon have cool colors and shapes like salamance and it wa hard to complete my pokedex I love challendeges so yep it's the best!(so far)

XD375
15th July 2006, 9:45 PM
Wasn't as good as RBYGSC, ColoXD, hopefully DP, and even Bootleg Daimond and the hacks, Brown, Bronze, and Adventures in Rijon. I still liked it, so I voted Other.

Arena Tycoon Slaking
16th July 2006, 1:41 AM
The 3rd generation was Great, FR/LG were harder but easier to train which was good and then E/R/S were even better because of the battle tower and Frontier

Shiny Penny
16th July 2006, 6:49 AM
The 3rd Generation was probably my favourite generation, but its a tough call because i am fond of all 3 generations for different reasons. The first was obviously the one that introduced me to it and make me like it in the first place. The second was great because it expanded on everything that I liked from the first and added even more, but the 3rd is my favourite because it is the first that i have actually played and appreciated how deep the game goes, with the EV training and shinies, it has really drawn me in for hundreds of hours.

BasiltheDragon
16th July 2006, 8:36 AM
It's okayish. But they added too many Legendaries. Only redeeming feature is the 6 extra Dragon Pokemon, and the Battle Froniter, and the reamke of R/B.

Liam-Kun
16th July 2006, 4:09 PM
Liked it but the 2nd gen is still my favorite
same here.

gligirl
16th July 2006, 4:20 PM
i thought it was the best so far, not just because of graphics but the new pokemon and double battles.

ZTcrazy
16th July 2006, 5:06 PM
The 3rd generation is the second best on my chart. The PKMN were some of the most creative and the names were good. The map is good to explore as well, just needed a snowy area and there is too much water routes.

2Percent Miltank
16th July 2006, 8:55 PM
I have adored the 3rd generation since it came out. <3 I like the cities, the Pokemon, the battling sequences (double battles, etc.) - everything, really. n__n

-SI-
16th July 2006, 9:17 PM
It is wonderful.

RPG Maker
16th July 2006, 10:06 PM
The games were nice and was sad to find out the night/day feature was not going to be present. I didn't like the Pokemon designs for the third generation as I did for the first two but it was still alright.

Sneasel
17th July 2006, 2:19 AM
I liked this generation very much, second to the 2nd gen.

Aptenodytes
17th July 2006, 5:24 PM
I loved this generation. Especially since they remade Red and Blue. Although, I was kind of disapointed when Marowak wasn't in the game at first, but they fixed that later on.

DadazMun
17th July 2006, 7:10 PM
sapphire and ruby I was really impressed with. I didn't think LG was that great until I unlocked all the sevii islands. But then I bought emerald and that's the best game ever. The 3rd generation is far better than the other two

Golde
17th July 2006, 11:45 PM
I liked Hoenn for a while, but I quickly grew tired of it because it began to suck hard.

Golden Latios
18th July 2006, 3:46 AM
I loved the tons of new options, graphics and Pokemon in the Third Generation. It's my favorite Generation so far. Contests, Berries, TV, Battle Tower, etc. Awesome! :D

micrec
26th November 2006, 9:40 AM
The 3rd gen. is good, but there could be a game to FR/LG like Emerald to R/S or Crystal to G/S. There are no in-Johto-games :( At least I can get Johto starters in Emerald

Gilgamesh
26th November 2006, 12:59 PM
I liked it alot, but I still think the second gen. is the best one.

Walking Contradiction
26th November 2006, 1:09 PM
3rd gen pwns the rest with contests, berries, natures and proper EV system.
4th gen will be better though.

benhamini
28th July 2007, 3:33 PM
3rd gen is awesome, IMO its better then 4th gen

FireEmblemAddict
28th July 2007, 3:40 PM
I like it a lot. However, not more than the 4th generation. But it introduced so many new things and made the world of Pokemon more expansive.

Anaya
28th July 2007, 5:09 PM
I loved it! And I still do. :D.

Genesis Gackt
6th August 2007, 6:39 AM
I like only Emerald and FR/LG. I don't know why, but i think that emerald is more complete that R/S and FR/LG only 'cause i have the original Red cartridge and i don't like it xDD

Azure Wolf
6th August 2007, 8:25 AM
Hoenn was the best made IMO

xXBloodstainedLieXx
6th August 2007, 6:09 PM
This is one of the best generations in pokemon! I don't know why anyone would hate it

Arceus Master
12th August 2007, 7:35 PM
I like the 3rd generation. It had all of these cool pokemon and all that stuff.

Azure Wolf
13th August 2007, 10:30 AM
I think the 3rd gen was nicely made, especially Hoenn.

mallubear07
13th August 2007, 12:49 PM
ok but rby gsc and dp were all better

Alzi
13th August 2007, 12:56 PM
It was oright ....

That's all i basically can say.

morefirepokemon
13th August 2007, 1:02 PM
im indifferent, it didnt seem to have too much value, it seemed like filler, i didnt really connect to the other gens. other than with wynaut

MysticKenji
15th August 2007, 3:20 PM
The third gen was awesome, but the 2nd gen is still my favorite

Shine
16th August 2007, 8:40 AM
It's my favourite in terms of changes in battling and the idea of the 1st gen remakes, but I think the GSC games were better in that they let you get 16 badges :D

evolutions
16th August 2007, 2:52 PM
pokemon emerald was quite refreshing, with the battle frontier. Overall it was a good gen.

Hakajin
19th August 2007, 5:55 AM
I like them a lot, but they didn't have the same charm as the 1st and 2nd generation had for me. It's not really a flaw with the games though. Except I didn't like the new Pokemon as much as the new ones in 2nd generation, and I really missed the day/night system.

Cifala
19th August 2007, 6:50 AM
If they held some Pokemon back into the 4th gen (mainly Meditete and Medicham, they belong there), and put some into the 3rd (like Probopass and Perap), I'd like both gens more.

ShinyManafi
20th August 2007, 5:42 AM
3rd Gen had a more original feel for me then 4th Gen kind of.

PsychedelicJellyfish
20th August 2007, 10:34 PM
I've always thought that a lot of the Third Gen. Pokémon looked a bit weird, but the region's good and the plot is too.

Ellie
20th August 2007, 10:44 PM
Haha, wow, I'm one of three people who didn't like it .-.

It just didn't feel as much like a Pokemon game to me as RBY, GSC, and DP did. The lack of new evolution lines of old Pokemon put me off (even though a lot of people liked it better, I didn't). A lot of the new Pokemon were just weird and didn't seem to fit in at all with the older ones. Plus, the landscape was totally different too.

Dr Elite
20th September 2007, 6:37 PM
better graphics and so much more stuff. betta!

Azure Wolf
21st September 2007, 4:36 PM
It lived up to its name IMO.

Gazmof
21st September 2007, 5:30 PM
The third generation was awesome and Hoenn remains my favourite region. I happily sink hours into these games without batting an eye. The whole world of Pokemon just became so much more vivid - berries, contests, abilities, natures - everything just seemed to fall into place. Plus I adored pretty much every new Pokemon design there was. It didn't feel like a sequel to GSC, more like a thorough redesign of everything for the better.

My only real complaint was the fact that the day/night system mysteriously disappeared. I didn't really mind the fact that you couldn't transfer over old GB Pokemon - it felt like it was giving you a clean slate, which I think made sense.

Overall I think the generations have definitely improved with each increment, and each one has its own special little magic. Emerald is a great culmination on this generation and a perfect stepping-stone into Diamond and Pearl.

Brave Breloom
22nd September 2007, 1:38 PM
I am (as it says) a huge fan of the 3rd Genaration. It had the best leap in Pokemon so far with a region about twice the size of Johto and 135 new Pokemon over the 2nd gen's 100 new ones. The region is nothing other then perfect, and the new Pokemon were ace. It also introduced one of my favorite things in Pokemon, 2 on 2 battles. The new Nature and Ability effects added more depth as well. I imported Pokemon Ruby from America because I was so excited and WOW it rules! It gives me the most Nostalgia... Pokemon Ruby/Saphire are all time classics and are some of the best games ever made. ;382;;383;