PDA

View Full Version : The Official FRLG vs. RSE Thread

Pure
16th July 2006, 8:29 PM
Since there was a creation of this board, this thread seemed appropriate. I searched and couldn't find anything like this in recent history.

Which do you prefer? Base your decision on graphics, gameplay, etc.

Enix
16th July 2006, 8:43 PM
I prefer Fr/Lg to R/S/E because of the nostalgic feeling I get. And to me, Team Rocket is so much cooler than Magma/Aqua. I also prefer the graphics. Everything in R/S/E seemed futuristic to me I like the graphics in this game because of that.

-SI-
16th July 2006, 9:18 PM
I also love Emerald and Ruby. Much better than FR IMO

Pottsie
16th July 2006, 9:50 PM
At the moment, I prefer my Firered Game to my Sapphire Game. Though I've only recently got Emerald, so my opinion may change.

Sneasel
16th July 2006, 10:09 PM
I like FR/LG better than R/S/E because it has much better graphics than R/S/E.

darkpkmn fan1
16th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Well they say "the first time is always best" so i surpose fr/lg. It seems to take more thought and effort. In kanto the gym and league levels are higher so it is more strategic.

Dark_Force
16th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Without the battle frontier, Fr/Lg wins hands down. Returning to kanto is simply awesome.

~DF~

Kosmo
16th July 2006, 11:07 PM
I like both, but... LG has Kanto! It brings back so many memories of my first Blue version. Based on graphics and gameplay though I think they are equal.

Aptenodytes
16th July 2006, 11:12 PM
I prefer Emerald, but I'd choose FRLG only because the other doesn't have Marowak. Plus, it's Kanto. Who doesn't like the first generation?

Kimori
17th July 2006, 12:36 AM
I prefer R/S/E over FR/LG. In FR/LG, you can't make secret bases, mix records with your friends, and there's no clock so you can't get Umbreon or Espeon without trading. D: And Emerald is more challenging with the Battle Frontier.

Pure
17th July 2006, 2:09 AM
As I haven't made my opinion known yet, I will.

FRLG for me. Sharper graphics, old storyline, doesn't get boring, etc...

water types rule
17th July 2006, 4:07 PM
I like R/S/E better because it has a better region IMO, although the water areas can sometimes be annoying. Also Emerald has the Battle Frontier, which are the only challenging battles in the games really, outside of Orre Colosseum, but that's not in teh GBA games.

toad
17th July 2006, 6:50 PM
On one hand frlg has kant pokemon on the other emerald had more to do (battle fronteir,contests ect) hmm probably equal

Golde
17th July 2006, 11:40 PM
I`d say R/S/E because of the BF.

Pure
17th July 2006, 11:59 PM
But that's only Emerald...

But without the Battle Frontier, would your vote be the same?

Golden Latios
18th July 2006, 3:20 AM
I like R/S/E better than LG/FR because there are more Pokemon in R/S/E. Also, because there is TV, there are Berries, Contests, etc. I have to admit that the graphics in FR/LF are better than the ones in R/S/E in my opnion, though.

WaterDragon trainer
18th July 2006, 3:39 AM
Definitely R/S/E. These games were just simply better.

♪Crystal Mew♪
18th July 2006, 3:45 AM
I have absolutely loved the FR/LG storyline

I like how they made it as close as possible to RBY but still made it really interesting...

I love the font, the way the pokemon look, they don't have those distracting (yet sometimes cool) animations...

The only thing that the RSE games has better than the FRLG games is the bicycle speed, the secret bases, and the battle frontier

still

FR/LG it is for me

ArrEmmDee
18th July 2006, 4:23 AM
FRLG is superior.
The fact I hated RS (the story, the region... bitter taste in my mouth, really) made their coming out really sweet, and I really don't think BF sways my opinion all that much.

Quillz
18th July 2006, 5:49 AM
I think Emerald is the best game of the Advance Generation, but I prefer FR/LG to R/S. I think the Vs. Seeker was an awesome tool to add, and I liked the very strong Elite Four.

Liam-Kun
18th July 2006, 12:37 PM
I prefer rse, 'cause I loke the rse pokemon more than lgfr pokes

battlefrontiertrainer
18th July 2006, 4:12 PM
R/S/E then Fr/Lg I liked the graphics in R/S/E better

Pure
18th July 2006, 8:45 PM
I think Emerald is the best game of the Advance Generation, but I prefer FR/LG to R/S. I think the Vs. Seeker was an awesome tool to add, and I liked the very strong Elite Four.
Agreed. The VS Seeker was one of teh best 3rd gen items ever.

miken park
23rd July 2006, 3:06 AM
FRLG was easier to level up in with the VS seeker

~Bent~
23rd July 2006, 4:39 AM
My view...

Mach Bike > Bike
Ru/Sa Title Screen music > FR/LG Title Screen music
Ru/Sa Elite Four music > FR/LG Elite Four music
Ru/Sa Elite Four < FR/LG Elite Four
Ru/Sa Safari Zone > FR/LG Safari Zone
Battle Tower > Trainer Tower
Sealed Chamber > Tanoby Ruins
May > Green
Ru/Sa Pickup > FR/LG Pickup
Ru/Sa Berry capabilities > FR/LG Berry capabilities
Ru/Sa Multiplayer Battle/Trade < FR/LG Multiplayer Battle/Trade
Ru/Sa Clock > FR/LG Steps (but G/S/C clock owns both)
Ru/Sa Font < FR/LG Font

Plus, Ru/Sa has secret bases, record mixing, and contests.

Trooper Guy
23rd July 2006, 6:12 PM
I think Emerald is the best game of the Advance Generation, but I prefer FR/LG to R/S. I think the Vs. Seeker was an awesome tool to add, and I liked the very strong Elite Four
Same here. I think the Vs. Seeker is a very useful item and should, nay, must appear in more pokemon games.

I prefer R/S/E more than Fr/Lg. I play Lg the most, but i just like R/S/E more, as it has the Battle Frontier (E) and it's pokemon are more vivid and interesting. And Hoenn>>>>Fr/Lg Kanto imo.

Orion-Sama
24th July 2006, 3:52 AM
RSE, for FR/LG was same old with a hawt girl as the only plus. :) Plus, it drags on. Not as much as GSC, but still...

RS are slightly inferior to FR/LG, though. :o

Havoc Houndoom
24th July 2006, 7:01 AM
Bah. The original Red/Blue games always sucked in my mind. My first game was Gold. Never could play the decrepit antique awkward first-gen games.

Great Sage
24th July 2006, 2:24 PM
Emerald graphics are the best.

starterlover1
24th July 2006, 2:35 PM
RSE FTW. I just love all of the features that these games has to offer, and the pokemon are cooler. I think that the starters from the hoenn region are the best out of all three regions, and I love the contests, too. I also like the fact that you can battle gym leaders up to five times in Emerald. The mach bike is way faster, and the secret basees are excellent for EV training.

Powerful_Blaziken88
25th July 2006, 12:53 AM
Definitely R/S/E over FR/LG for me. While I still really like FR/LG, there isn't really much you can do once you've completed the E4 and fixed the network machine. But on Emerald you have loads of things. Contests, rebattling gymleaders, Battle Frontier, a lot of pokémon you can catch and evolve, quite a few legendaries to catch, etc. Even ruby and sapphire have contests, Battle Tower, and things like that. FR/LG only has filling up the pokédex and training to level 100, but with nothing really to train for the second one's almost pointless unless you have a lot of friends who play pokémon around you to battle.

P.S. This should've been a poll IMO.

Swellow_91
25th July 2006, 4:50 PM
I prefer R/S/E over Lg/Fr. R/S/E has more stuff. Contests , secret bases , Battle Frontier etc.

As for the VS Seeker , it's an awesome tool. It made training much more easier. It should appear in more games.

skyler,darkmaster
26th July 2006, 8:16 PM
generally i think r/s/e is better than fr/lg because you dont get johto starters now do you? also like the emerald animations

Darko6
26th July 2006, 11:46 PM
Tough choice. I liked FRLG's font and stats menu way better, and it brings me back to the old days so i'll say FRLG

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
26th July 2006, 11:57 PM
Definitely R/S/E over FR/LG for me. While I still really like FR/LG, there isn't really much you can do once you've completed the E4 and fixed the network machine. But on Emerald you have loads of things. Contests, rebattling gymleaders, Battle Frontier, a lot of pokémon you can catch and evolve, quite a few legendaries to catch, etc. Even ruby and sapphire have contests, Battle Tower, and things like that. FR/LG only has filling up the pokédex and training to level 100, but with nothing really to train for the second one's almost pointless unless you have a lot of friends who play pokémon around you to battle.

P.S. This should've been a poll IMO.
FR/LG Has a trainers Tower at 7 island IIRC.

For me? FR/LG OVer R/S. Emerald is slightly better than the prevous parts. FR/LG Just has an all around more orginized feel with the status screen, the nostaligia...
E>FR/LG>R/S

GeminiDragon
27th July 2006, 12:05 AM
I think that R/S/E is better than Fr/Lg. Although Emerald is the best in my opinion because it has more things to do after you beat the E4 like the battle frontier, while in fire red and leaf green you can only go to the battle tower and fight the same trainers over and over again

Edit: Cool New rank

Havoc Houndoom
27th July 2006, 4:47 AM
Besides, the item bag in F/L was QUITE irritating with the berry pouch and TM case in the key items bag, instead of separate pockets like they should be.

solbreak
27th July 2006, 5:33 AM
I liked FR/LG to RSE because I'm a sentimental fool, and true to that i loved RBY/GSC compared to the GBA-generation games.
I loved the original story the most, and they didn't change it much, so i adored it...I insist GSC was the most fun and i hope for a remake but thats impossible, because Nintendo/GameFreak are bias >.>
~solbreak ;251;

Havoc Houndoom
27th July 2006, 6:03 AM
I still think that they'll remake Gold/Silver as 4th-gen games.

They remade RBY two generations later... why not GSC?

Cena_#1
27th July 2006, 12:48 PM
i prefere my LG then my emerald game

the emerald game delete so much so i can`t just go with t so long

but LG is the best place where U can train your pokemon

chosen_one386
27th July 2006, 1:14 PM
Emerald is the best game of the 3rd gen and here's why:

1. Moving sprites return from Crystal.

2. Both Groudon and Kyogre and Team Magma and Team Aqua.

3. Gym leaders are harder.

4. Elite 4 are slightly easier.

5. BATTLE FRONTIER PEOPLE!

Psychic Overdrive
31st July 2006, 8:22 AM
I'd say R/S/E, it offered a fresh take on the lite-RPG. Your Rival was more friendly which was nice compared to RBYs jerk or GSCs distain. The addition of weather effects outside of a move. Nice way to have the story differ between the 2 games. Serect bases and mixing records. the E-reader thing was a nice touch, would of been nice to see more of it used since I bought one.

FRLG was a been there done that type of thing. Was just a vecihle to get the other 100 or so pokemon into the 3rd gen. Lots of possible stuff left unfulfilled.

Evil Munchlax
31st July 2006, 8:35 AM
I like Fr better than S, R better than Lg, but I prefer E over all 4 of them.

Trooper Guy
31st July 2006, 8:45 AM
1. Moving sprites return from Crystal.
I wish they didn't, they were awful.

I like R/S/E more than Fr/Lg, as Fr/Lg are the same old, same old just with new graphics. R/S/E has a better region, new pokemon and Battle Frontier in Emerald. I like Fr/Lg for the Sevii Islands. I like exploring new regions.

centaur_star
4th August 2006, 10:19 PM
It's kind of a mixed bag for me. Team Rocket is the better team, but Team Aqua/Magma have a better goal.
The old pokemon are better, but the ingame clock features are great.

Ebb
4th August 2006, 11:56 PM
I only own Emerald. It's the first poke game i've ever seriously played. I have played a friends fire version for a while.

They're both very fun, but I am going to have to say r/s/e seems better...i'm mainly taking into account emerald, since to me, the battle frontier is an enormous deal.

But yeah. Battle frontier, secret base collecting, contests and berries...you have a lot to do even after you've beat the game in Emerald. That's neat. Also I am fond of a lot of Hoenn poke, but that's biased.

Walking Contradiction
6th August 2006, 6:33 PM
R/S/E is better than FR/LG for me because of the contests, berries and stuff.
I'm a rambling, gaming dude- type of censoring sucks.

Pure
22nd August 2006, 4:50 PM
Good point, as the berries had potential in FRLG, but were not used to their potential.

Kabuto
22nd August 2006, 5:22 PM
Emerald=FRLG>RS

I like all the games and I am glad firered was introduced to the 3rd generation to obtain all the pokemon. Emerald is vastly superior to RS because of more pokemon and areas to explore. But both Emerald and FRLG were equally enjoyable.

Pure
23rd August 2006, 4:29 PM
Not to mention Emerald destroyed R/S in the graphical sense.

RAVENHEART
23rd August 2006, 7:24 PM
They're all great games in the main story I definatly prefer FR/LG but I do like the Battle frontier of Emerald.

One problem I have is that alot of the Kanto pokémon don't learn some of the newer moves like calm mind and aerial ace naturally.

In all I think FR/LG is much better constructed with more interesting pokémon and gym leaders but they all score 9/10 for me.

And shining alakasam they are pretty much the same in graphics a few moving figurse at the start of the match and a 30 second cut scene hardly destroys FR in graphics.

Sarukarisha
23rd August 2006, 7:44 PM
i prefer emerald over all of them as i have all of them. i have at least 3 times as much play time on emerald as i do with all the rest put together. i've done practically everything on everything but emerald btw. with 5 completed pokedexes. so cause of the bf r/s/e but without it r/s/e = fr/lg

RAVENHEART
23rd August 2006, 7:49 PM
Yeah Battle Frontier is what will tip alot o peoples decisicion to RSE while FRLG only has a watered down Battle Tower.

Lickitung
24th August 2006, 5:06 AM
Without the battle frontier, easily FR/LG. Return to Kanto,no ugly animations, extra sevii islands, overall better graphics,and nostalgia. Though Emerald is awesome because of the Frontier, but without it it loses. I'll say a tie.

legendary pkm master
24th August 2006, 5:41 AM
i saw emerald bcuz its the lastest pokemon game and it is the most updated.
i hate the FR and LG pokedex 2

RAVENHEART
24th August 2006, 6:23 PM
i saw emerald bcuz its the lastest pokemon game and it is the most updated.
i hate the FR and LG pokedex 2

Yeah who wrote some of that stuff e.g.
FR:Kadabra: It happene one morning - a boy wih extrasensory powers awoke in his bed transformed into a Kadabra