PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge Structure

malcolm_n
27th July 2006, 9:45 PM
I have recently begun work on a "league" that will expand out in the future. I am currently trying to structure the gyms so that any player, be it new or veteran, can come in and challenge. As a part of these structures, I need to include some pokemon that cannot be used so as to prevent them from dominating the metagame. Here's an example.

Anybody who wants to be the leader of the first gym must have a team of 5 pokemon meeting these strictures.
- Maximum level 20
- Minimum Level 12
- Total level value = 70

I want to ban the following pokemon from being used by this particular gym. In a match that will potentially include pokemon like geodude and squirtle, these pokemon could be considered too good for the purpose of a challenge held amongst first time players.
- Milotic
- Gyarados
- 3rd stage evolution Pokemon (any pokemon that evolves 2x in a straight line)
--- "trade" pokemon such as Machamp are considered 3rd stage
--- "stone" pokemon such as Ludicolo are considered 3rd stage
--- Exceptions are made for pokemon who are only considered "useful" in their final form. Such pokemon include, but are not limited to Dustox, Beautifly, Beedrill, and Butterfree

Should I include/exclude any other pokemon? Does this seem reasonable enough to attract challengers as well as to diversify potential gym leaders at this stage? Thank you all for your opinions.

----------IF this shouldn't be here, please let me know where to move it so that I can. Thank you.----------------

Reubo
28th July 2006, 2:24 AM
Don't know if this is in the right place but here goes:
Geodude lvl 12 (Come on! All you need is a grass or water type to beat it!)
Geodude lvl 13
Nosepass lvl 13
Rhyhorn lvl 16
Aron lvl 16

Nidogod
28th July 2006, 4:18 AM
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about or trying to do, but whatever it is, I'd like to do a poison gym.

malcolm_n
28th July 2006, 5:36 AM
I was actually just trying to find out if anybody agreed with me on this structure. looking at the pokemon available at level 20, the listed pokemon really stood out to me. Thinking under the guidelines I've set, does anybody have other ideas of pokemon that would be too powerful at this level, or maybe any pokemon that're so weak they could be used regardless?

Nidogod
29th July 2006, 12:29 AM
Possibly also ban happiness Pokemon such as Blissey, Espeon, and Umbreon.

zeppelin
29th July 2006, 7:16 PM
ban pokemon by stone evos e.g. jolteon.

malcolm_n
30th July 2006, 7:47 PM
Jolteon isn't so bad, stats-wise. I don't think it's necessary to ban any of the eeveelutions. Blissey, however, I agree with.

Raito
30th July 2006, 10:57 PM
The Eveelutions are deadly when played right. If you will ban Garde and Zam, you might as well ban Espy. If you are banning Maggie, ban Jolty. Ban Dusclops, ban Umbreon. Ban Milotic/Lapras, Ban Vappy. Flareon sucks.

shadowashura
2nd August 2006, 6:40 AM
OMG XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I wanna do this :3

I would want an 'earth' gym... water and grass types :D
*my favorites XD*

elecman001
2nd August 2006, 6:23 PM
are you making an rp, or using the online pokemon game (ive never used it so this is why i ask). and also i was just thinking ahead but with d/p's wireless you could have an onlline rp and then wen you want to battle or fight registered gym leaders you connect to wifi.

malcolm_n
3rd August 2006, 2:56 AM
The Eveelutions are deadly when played right. If you will ban Garde and Zam, you might as well ban Espy. If you are banning Maggie, ban Jolty. Ban Dusclops, ban Umbreon. Ban Milotic/Lapras, Ban Vappy. Flareon sucks.
I can agree with this. My official stance on it is that pokemon with higher than base 535 total stats cannot be used in such battles. Obviously, because the level limit is 20 to start, most 3rd stage pokemon cannot come in anyway.

As to those who've mentioned interest in this, it is an online pokemon league that has gotten off of the ground. We already have several members. Please feel free to PM me with questions/requests.

So, 535 stat base here, I'm thinking the next tier could allow for 555 cap total with a level limit at 50. Many new pokemon available.

the last tier would include any stat base, but no one-of pokemon like Zapdos, Entei, Regice, or Lugia, level cap 65.

Pranz
3rd August 2006, 1:53 PM
umm...i think i would like a fire gym
love fire so i guess it would be fun.
is the fire gym slot empty??

Kinrah
3rd August 2006, 2:07 PM
I like the sound of this... I might try it.

Cucco-Cojiro
4th August 2006, 2:22 AM
Watch out for pokes with no evolution, like snorlax.

I suggest instead of banning 3rd stage evolution Pokemon, you should just set a limit for the total base stats of the pokemon.

Examles:

Geodude - 300
Beautifly - 385
Grovyle - 405
Plusle - 405
Noctowl - 442
Manectric - 472

You get the idea.

I would go with 450 or so.

Jolteonmaster2
4th August 2006, 4:33 AM
Snorlax, Blissey, any ledgendaries, Gengar, Salamence and Tyrannitar.

~*Pearl*~
4th August 2006, 5:28 PM
Water please! If not, electric!