PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Power ...

Shiny_Milotic
28th July 2006, 5:39 AM
Basically, in real life, ( in-game/competitively) it is pointless to use Hidden Power. I just found out that when a Pokemon Evolves, its IV's change, making it even harder to get the right ones. Is it pointless to waste the time for no reason at all? Does this still stand for Pokemon that evolve with Stones?

I am mainly saying this because I have about 2-4 Pokemon that I would like to have Hidden Power. First of all, it would be hard to get a good base power for the move, and it would be hard to get the right type.

For Hidden Power, is attack or special attack applied, or does the new move type affect this question? I ask this because if someone uses Hidden Power Ice, and the opponent uses Mirror Coat, nothing will happen. Counter will always work. Does this mean it is always applied to the attack stat?

On NetBattle I give my Pokemon Hidden Power, but it is really really hard to get it in real life. Trying to get Hidden Power Grass on an Arcanine is just impossible for me ...

TogeticTheRuler
28th July 2006, 5:48 AM
no,it says its a normal type move,but its really another type,so mirror coat will work against sp.atk type hidden power

malcolm_n
28th July 2006, 6:05 AM
Basically, in real life, ( in-game/competitively) it is pointless to use Hidden Power. I just found out that when a Pokemon Evolves, its IV's change, making it even harder to get the right ones. Is it pointless to waste the time for no reason at all? Does this still stand for Pokemon that evolve with Stones?

I am mainly saying this because I have about 2-4 Pokemon that I would like to have Hidden Power. First of all, it would be hard to get a good base power for the move, and it would be hard to get the right type.

For Hidden Power, is attack or special attack applied, or does the new move type affect this question? I ask this because if someone uses Hidden Power Ice, and the opponent uses Mirror Coat, nothing will happen. Counter will always work. Does this mean it is always applied to the attack stat?

On NetBattle I give my Pokemon Hidden Power, but it is really really hard to get it in real life. Trying to get Hidden Power Grass on an Arcanine is just impossible for me ...
IV's don't change. Base Stats change when the pokemon evolves. IV's remain the same.

That's why IV training is good, because you can breed your pokemon that you've trained with Effort and it's child has a better chance of getting improved IV's. If what you heard was true, there'd be WAY too many level 100 Bulbasaurs around because they have 31 Sp Def and can't risk evolving for losing the 31 IV.

Aquarelle
28th July 2006, 6:13 AM

WTF? A pokemon's IVs don't change when it evolves! Its IVs are always going to be the same, no matter what, so its hidden power is ALWAYS going to be the same type, same base power. And it's not pointless to use hidden power, it can really come in handy if you need STAB or a move to cover a certain type. And when a pokemon evolves via a stone, its IVs are the same, like I said above.

Hidden powers are random, as are the pokemon's IVs, so you'll just have to keep breeding (I reccomend you breed in emerald) until you get the right one. And I wouldn't worry too much about base power ingame, since it's hard enough just trying to get the right hidden power type.

Hidden power will run of either the attack or sp.attack stat, depending on the type. So if your pokemon uses HP ice, it'll run off its sp.attack power, since ice is a special type. Now, when it comes to counter/mirror coat, counter will ALWAYS counter a hidden power attack, while mirror coat fails, because hidden power is classified as a normal type, and normal is a physical type. So if your hidden power is a special type, it will run off your special attack power, but counter will still counter it, since HP is always shown as a normal type attack.

Yeah, it is, it took me soooooooooo long to get hp darkon my Horsea. But what I did was on emerald, I bred until I got a female offspring with the right nature, then I gave it an everstone and put it in the day care. Then, I hatched eggs and most of them came out the right nature. Then, I just tested out their hidden powers until I found one with the right type.

So, just keep trying, and eventually you should succeed in finding the right one. :)

EDIT : Damn, got beat to it...

Shiny_Milotic
28th July 2006, 6:23 AM
According to what all of you said .. a couple posters on Smogon don't know what they are talking about .. they said that IV's change when they evolve .. making it hard to get a Salamence with the right HP .... ????

malcolm_n
28th July 2006, 6:32 AM
Hidden powers are random, as are the pokemon's IVs, so you'll just have to keep breeding (I reccomend you breed in emerald) until you get the right one. And I wouldn't worry too much about base power ingame, since it's hard enough just trying to get the right hidden power type.

It's not as hard to get Power, actually. On average, if you're raising a pokemon with better IV's to begin with, you'll get a stronger HP (try it on netbattle. 31 in all is better power than 0). So, the easiest way would be to raise the pokemon for the stats you want first, then work on the HP type.

For example,
I bred 2 3rd family generation Blaziken that i'd raised for IV's from the beginning. When I was ready to breed my 4th generation (read family tree), Blaziken, I bred until I could get HP Flying onto him for choice band.

In emerald, is there a chance you'll keep HP type with the Everstone? Or is it only Nature?

Shiny_Milotic
28th July 2006, 6:37 AM
I am getting confused now..

Aren't IV's independant of the Pokemon in every way, and are completely random?

Can't IV's not be changed?

Aren't IV's just numbers that don't matter other than for Hidden Power, and maybe some other technical mechanics of the game?

Does a Pokemon that have 0's across the board for IV's mean that it is a bad Pokemon?

TRJessie579
28th July 2006, 6:50 AM
Here:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=105223

Everything you ever wanted to know about IVs and Hidden Power.

IVs in normally caught Pokemon are completely random, but IVs ARE influenced by the parents when breeding. The link I gave you explains how that works, but you can breed for good IVs.

No, IVs can NEVER be changed on a Pokemon. Hidden Power is based solely on your Pokemon's IVs, which is why that never changes as well.

Aren't IV's just numbers that don't matter other than for Hidden Power, and maybe some other technical mechanics of the game?

IVs help determine how high your Pokemon's stats can get (also explained in the link).

Does a Pokemon that have 0's across the board for IV's mean that it is a bad Pokemon?

Yeah, you wouldn't want to use a Pokemon with 0 IVs in every stat, but actually, all 0s in all IVs would be just as hard to get as all 31s in all IVs!

Aquarelle
28th July 2006, 6:57 AM

IVs are COMPLETELY random, and each pokemon has one IV for each stat, ranging from 0-31. And I don't get what you mean by 'independant' of the pokemon.

Ivs are NOT changeable. The IVs that your pokemon gets, are the ones that it is going to have FOREVER.

IVs not only effect hidden power, but also your stats. The higher IVs you have the higher your stats will be at level 100. So a Rhydon with an IV of 31 in attack would have thirty-one more points in attack than a Rhydon with an IV of 0 in its attack stat. That is, presuming the two have the same amount of EVs in their attack stat. So basically, the closer your Individual Valuea re to 31, the better overall stats you'll get.

Well, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 'bad' pokemon, just that it'll have lower stats at level 100. It will have roughly thirty-one less points in all its stats than a pokemon with an IV of 31 in all six stats. (Of course, effort values also contribute to their stats)

Oh, and breeding with an everstone increases your chances of hatching an offspring with the same nature, not hidden power, but it's more convient than hatching a million eggs to get the right nature, then find out that the one with the good nature has a bad hidden power... :/

Edit : Grr... got beat to it again! I type either too slow, or too much...

starterlover1
28th July 2006, 6:24 PM
IV's are random and can range between 0-31. They do not change, unless you get a different pokemon of teh same species. Base stats change upon evolution.