PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon: Perganyx (PG-13)

CHeSHiRe-CaT
30th July 2006, 7:51 PM
Well, after some tough thinking and salvaging material from Rolling Away, I've decided to toss at you a Trainer fic I've been wanting to do for a while. This story takes place in an alternate Johto, in the not-too-distant future. I've added my own originality to it, so if you see unfamiliarity between it and G/S/C, I am glad to say that that is exactly what I want :O Blood, gore, some violence, yada yada yada...and that's about iiiit. The following prologue, by the way, takes place in the past, so don't expect this featured character to be going on a Trainer journey :p I'll add a table of contents eventually, and zat vill be all D:

Prologue: Still and Silent

Fifteen years before our tale begins...

“Keep up, Elm. We don’t have all day.”

The mousy man tripped behind the group, falling into a pile of dusty rubble. Sweat was dripping onto his glasses as the lenses magnified the blistering summer sun that was just beginning to set over the peaking mountains on which they climbed. The field crew stopped at the raised hand of Dr. Sodoco, whose eyes rolled with impatience. The man passed staring eyes to the back of the group, where he glared at the scrawny, thin-haired man sprawled on the orange pebbles.

“You’ve been nothing but trouble,” the doctor stated. “Were you born with no dexterity? If you expect to pass your final exam, you might as well be prepared for the physical part of your training.”

“I-I’m sorry, doctor,” Elm replied, quickly scrambling to his feet. “I’m more of the…indoor type. I haven’t been on a hike…since I was nine.”

Sodoco scrunched up his graying mustache and pulled the sun hat over his head.

“Well, I suppose that’s a disadvantage, now isn’t it?”

The professor went back in the front of the line, waved his hand with a great sigh, and they were off once again, treading down the side of Mount Verda. The poor researcher wiped the sweat from his face on the shoulder of his vest and continued to walk with the group. He felt so inferior to all of the others in the team. He made himself stand out for sure, but in the worst possible ways. To think that he even got into the academy was a rather extraordinary feat alone. So clumsy and dangerous, it was as though Elm had pins sticking out of his skin.

Reeling over a film of thoughts while they descended into the forest growth below, Elm wished there was somebody who sympathized for him. Maybe Dr. Sodoco was right. First, he had started a fire by lighting a candle during a power outage in the presence of a rather gaseous Weezing and blew up the entire chemistry lab. Then there was the time when they were developing their communication skills between Pokémon, and he had accidentally insulted a Granbull by saying “Your mother’s hereditary features makes me howl,” instead of, “You had your mother’s hereditary jowl.”

“One day I’ll create a translation device,” the tawny-haired man muttered, crushing some toadstools beneath his feet.

Through this muddle, however, he had somehow managed to survive. The homework was quickly-managed, the assessments were easily reviewed, but no matter how well he excelled in the paperwork, being a Pokémon professor required on-the-field skills, which as his own professor said, he lacked. The man bowed his head solemnly, feeling inevitably lower than he possibly could. All his life, he had been fascinated with Pokémon, read all of Professor Oak’s books, and had written so many fan letters to him as a boy. All of his dreams of gazing upon the horizon of mankind and Pokémon seemed to falter. But would he give up those dreams just because he was a child in a chinaware shop?

No. It was out of the question.

Elm raised his eyes once more and stared past the dozen or so heads in front of him. He gazed out at the man in the sun hat, marching proudly and with dignity through the luscious woods. Elm narrowed his eyes and clenched his fists, determination filling him with steam and endurance. He would make it through this, and never fail. He could not fail. He would never let his parents down for paying for his schooling, and abandon all of those who had helped him to get this far. He grasped for all of the abilities he had learned and attributed, and took them all into thought.

He would be better than Dr. Sodoco. He would show them.

“Now,” said the researcher ahead, halting the group and lifting a finger. “Ahead lies a vegetative habitat for many species of Pokémon, several that we do not know of. This area is unclassified and is not shown on the Johto map.”

Elm gulped.

“Your task,” said the doctor, eyeing them all with a challenging look, “is to find a brand new species of Pokémon here in these woods, capture it, and bring it to me for examination within twenty-four hours.”

“But sir!” one of the students cried. “That’s impossible! What if we all find the same Pokémon?”

“You will still earn credit,” stated the professor, closing his eyes and nodding thoughtfully. “I don’t care if Spinarak was a brand new specie and you all brought it to me. I would still give you your markings; it isn’t your fault you would have discovered something at the same time as another. This is another principle on the study of Pokémon: somebody could easily beat you to the prize, or in this case, the discovery.”

“But how do we know if this place has any new classification of Pokémon for sure?” another remarked. “What if we never find a new Pokémon?”

“My class, have I taught you nothing?” the man said in a toughened tone. “This is your final exam.”

The group suddenly erupted in whispers and gasps. Surprise was certainly in the air, but it was not a pleasant thing to Elm, whose spine shivered with grief and unworthiness.

“Yes, you heard me well,” said the doctor. “This is your last study to commit to. This is the ultimate test to show me who is and who is not capable of running their own facility, and broadening the world of Pokémon for all. This test will separate those who don’t try, and those with severe dedication for their work. Those who pass have the opportunity to become legends in the field of science, and to work alongside even greater researchers, such as assisting Professor Oak in Pallet.”

Elm’s heart leapt. Dr. Sodoco took a few steps into the wilderness, standing with his back facing the students. He took in the atmosphere, and breathed in the serene greenness, feeling the life-force pouring from the forest as the dew frosted the leaves of foliage blooming from the ground. Slowly, he turned around and faced them once more, seeming to give each and every one of them a nod of assertiveness. When his eyes crossed Elm’s, far in the back, the doctor hesitated, and nodded sternly. He then turned his attention to them all.

“I am looking for someone to replace me,” he stated, weakly and staring down at his feet with a little remorse. “I will be leaving Newbark Town and my laboratory in order to take a job position in Hoenn, working with the Mossdeep Space Center, and their rocket launch projects.”

The students were silenced, and watched their respected mentor with weary and sorrowful eyes. No matter how strict, hard, and firm a person you know may be, there is always a deep feeling of admiration for them, and their brazenness actually makes you want their higher opinion. He was like a father to them for the past few years…and to think he was giving up his legacy in Johto to start another in a new land. Dr. Sodoco lifted a finger to his eye and wiped a spot of wetness from his skin. He surveyed them all, with a tight jaw.

“This is it,” he said. “This is your final exam. Bring me a new Pokémon within twenty-four hours. You cannot make pacts, or teams. You will be given no camping equipment of the sort. Only a bag of Pokéballs will be your allies in this test of strength, willpower, and dedication.”

Elm swallowed his fears for a moment, and nodded. The professor lifted his head.

“Twenty-four hours. Go.”

The students quickly rushed up to the man as he passed out the shoulder bags full of Pokéballs. One by one, he gave them each his blessing in the form of strapping the bags to their arms and giving them each a pat on the back. After the student in front of Elm (who appeared to have wet himself) had left running with his legs pushed together, the clumsy boy walked up to the old man, averting his gaze for humiliation.

But Dr. Sodoco merely smiled at Elm, and pressed the boy’s chin up. The professor saddled a slightly heavy bag full of spherical contents onto Elm’s shoulder, and looked straight at him.

“Now’s your chance,” the doctor said quietly, watching as other students disappeared into the forest. “Make me proud, and make yourself proud.”

The boy looked at the man for a moment, and with the first amount of courage he had in a long time, took the professor’s hand and shook it. The doctor patted him on the back, and pushed him away from the first stage. Elm turned his head away from his teacher, and looked far beyond into the great thicket of vertical bars of wood springing into the air. The sun was no longer present and only left remnants of yellow tinted with an overcoming blue, making the surrounding area calm, but lonely. The boy adjusted his glasses, and took a deep breath. Setting off into the woods, he did not look back, for shame of hesitance of the task they were dealt.

~*~

It had only been an hour and darkness fell over the forest. The moonlight was strained weakly through the branches and leaves, and it was getting terribly dark. Elm smacked the dreadful mosquitoes draining his will and blood with every bite, cringing and grunting as his skin was massaged by thorns, twigs, and ivy. He had not found a single Pokémon yet, nor found a trace of one (with the exception of the scat he had stepped in). He could not tell where the return site was anymore, nor did he know where his fellow peers could be. Perhaps they had come ahead of him already even while he marched in the shadows, stealing what chances he had at becoming something great.

The boy felt like crying, and just when he thought things could get no worse, his toe met a very large log fallen onto the ground, and with no clue of it being there, was caught by surprise. The moment his foot pressed into the crevice beneath the log, he felt a shock of grief and dark astonishment shoot through his veins, right before the second he tripped and fell over. As he fell over the log, he slipped his arms over his head to protect it from possibly more wood or rocks that would meet him on the ground.

However, that moment never came. After he fell past what would have been the top layer of soil and into an open space, it was then that a sickly feeling overwhelmed the student as he tumbled head-first into a gaping hole, and landed right onto his back, cracking his neck and punching him with a blunt blast of dirt into unconsciousness.

~*~

Swirling. Rushing waves of different colors.

The boy cringed in pain from the blow he had suffered to his spine, and rubbed the back of his neck, which stung greatly. He was covered in soot and roots, and felt dirtier than he ever had in his life. Darkness was dwelling all around him, and the hole was barely large enough for him to crawl through. The air in the pit was limited and scarce, and Elm knew that it could cave on him at any time. Memories started flooding back to his mind.

When he saw Dr. Sodoco’s face appear among them, his heart stopped.

“Make me proud.”

Elm opened his eyes, but shut them immediately from the immense pressure building in his forehead. Tears began streaming down his dusty and soiled face, carrying the sediment along with it. Everything felt as though it were burning. Here he was, once again, making a mistake. Except this time, there we no second chances. He had no more wild cards in his hand, and everything he had done was final. He wanted to bang his forehead against the ceiling of the cramped hole and abuse and punish himself. His one chance…his single chance to do something right, and he had blown it. The only options he had left were to return to the doctor, empty-handed and without pride, or to perish in the hole and have no one mourn him.

What was the point of living? He would only bring eternal embarrassment to himself for his klutzy freak accidents, and be shamed most of all by this ultimate undoing. How could he face everyone? More memories came back…ones from his childhood, of doing something wrong and being punished for it by his parents. He recalled those moments carefully, feeling exactly how he did then, but in a more radically important way. But…he remembered that acceptance, no matter if he had flooded their basement, burned the carpet with the vacuum, or put the cat in the washer…acceptance had always come to him, even when he made the biggest mistakes.

It was difficult for himself to accept what he had done, but knew that there could be more than just this. Sure, he may have made a big mistake…but he could always make up for it. Or try something new…even if he would waste something he had his heart set on. That was the point of life, to move on and enjoy what you like to do. Maybe there was more…maybe there was not.

Elm would never know until he searched for it.

With his last ounce of ambition left seeping from each breath he let out, Elm pushed himself onto his legs, pressing his back against the ceiling of the hole. He would have to crawl backwards if he needed to get out, where the mouth of the space would be larger and easier to get out of—he opened his eyes and began to scrunch his legs back, but stopped abruptly.

What…could it be?

The moment his eyelids had flapped open, he thought he saw a dim light ahead of him. A tunnel? Was he hallucinating? Elm blinked, and realized he had lost his glasses. The light remained as he patted the ground with his palms, feeling for them until cold metal touched his skin. He wiped the dirt from the left and only lens left in the frames, and put them on. His vision distorted, he closed his right eye and opened his left, looking ahead. Indeed, he saw a tunnel shaping in the dark, but somewhere further on…there was a faint, orangey light that wavered against the shape of the hole.

With a burning curiosity inside of him, Elm took no note of how he would manage to get out if he went in too deep, nor the danger of the tunnel collapsing and killing him. He panted heavily as sweat rolled with his dried, cracked tears all over his frail body. The boy crawled forward, and with every few inches gained, the more light he would see. In fact, the more he crawled, he could feel the air become more wholesome and open, and soon, he was no longer crawling, but walking with his back hunched, and later, standing up in the tunnel.

Around a corner, the student passed out of the tunnel, and instead of stepping on more soil, he felt his boots meet a hard surface with a clop. He looked down and could actually see his foot, illuminated, unlike his venture in the dark, groping the tunnel walls. He appeared to be standing on a rough floor made of tiled clay bricks…but how was he able to see everything? Slowly, he lifted his head to find the source of the light. Soon, he realized that he had come out of the tunnel.

He was standing in a room, or a chamber of sorts. He could barely see all of it, but everything in this room was square and rowed with the old clay bricks. However, Elm could also see some sort of hieroglyphics printed on the walls…just looking at them made his insides crawl as each symbol carried an eye-like shape in their cores. It was all empty except for the eyes staring back at him from the walls.

Or so he thought.

Following the shadows and the form of light creeping out against the floor, the young man saw three tiny silhouettes crowded against the wall. Fear dripped from his temples, and he glanced over his shoulder at the tunnel entrance. He then returned his view to the tiny figures against the wall, and took a step closer.

Soon, he began taking more steps and quietly moved toward the source of the light. It was not long before he could soon see, with some distinct squinting and effort, a small creature of a sort, with two other shapes, huddled together in a pack. The student narrowed his eyes as he stood only a several feet away from them, hearing soft whimpers emanating from their forms.

His eyes fell upon a petite echidna-like animal, coated in a creamy fur. Upon further inspection, he could also see that its eyes on the sides of its long snout were clamped tightly shut, or appeared to be very thin slits. It was then that the boy was astonished to see a teal jet of fur lining the animal’s short back…and something amazing that was causing the light.

A golden fire blazed from spouts on its spine.

Elm realized that it was a Pokémon of sorts. Intrigued, he took another step forward, and saw two more Pokémon lying against it. One of the figures looked like a miniature blue-scaled crocodile with closed eyes, and a ridge of red spikes running down its back and tail. Elm also noticed a “V” arch on its chest, and a few dagger-like teeth protruding from its muzzle. The boy looked on the other side of the fire-inducing Pokémon and spotted a greenish tuatara creature with stubby legs, but most notably, a collar of foliage with small horns of leaves folded tightly together, and upon its round head, a long leaf that extended from its forward, back.

At the discovery, Elm was startled, amazed. Three Pokémon he had not seen before. The thrill blinded him from his surroundings and situation completely, and without reluctance, reached across his shoulder toward the bag full of Pokéballs.

But nothing was there.

Elm gaped down at his arm and saw that the sack was missing. Taking a step back, he realized that he must have dropped it above ground when he fell into the hole. Now dazed and confused and heart-broken, he shook his head, trying to rid himself of his negative loss. But then, he had nearly forgotten the Pokémon themselves. They had not moved one single bit in his ignorant observation. Elm blinked at the three creatures, staring at the fire crackling from the echidna’s back.

He sized each of them up and down, and analyzed them. Their mouths were not parted, nor did they appear flexibly loose. In fact, their expressions looked as though they were pained, with their brow lines furrowing, as if having a nightmare. The tuatara Pokémon with the leaf on its head whimpered, and Elm felt a wave of shame and sorrow for these poor forgotten creatures. Why were they underground, in such awful conditions? What…what was this place? What were all of the symbols on the walls? What did they mean?

The student stood there for what seemed like an eternity, simply staring at the group of Pokémon lying there. Were they injured? Were they just sleeping? Elm dared to take a step forward, and another. He took a few more, and soon, he was so close that his boots could have touched the Pokémon in the center. He could smell a lovely scent floating from the greenish Pokémon…immediately, he suspected that it had come from its leaf. Carefully and silently, he kneeled down onto the floor and looked back and forth at each of them. Strangely, they all appeared to bet wet…curious, Elm reached out steadily, his fingers drifting through the air, making contact with the Pokémon with the blazing back.

The Pokémon shivered at his touch, but calmed quite fast. Elm waited a moment for it to be comfortable, and then he ran his hand along its silky, cream fur. His fingers were instantly met with the sensation of a sticky moistness, and not sweat, but a sort of congealed liquid that had covered the creature’s body. Lifting his hand away, the student observed the tuatara and the crocodile Pokémon, and they too had the same clammy coating on their skins.

Suddenly, the young man heard a low grunt. He looked to the greenish creature, but it was not the one who had responded with this noise. Elm heard another grunt, and swiveled his head around. Staring into the darkness at the tips of the fire lit chamber, the student could see the dark outline of a body, somewhere off in the corner, huddled in a clump. Glistening in the light near its form was a trail of wet substance, and although dark and close to invisible, the young man could make out the sight of a pool of blood. Elm sat there on his knees, still and silent, watching the form. At that moment, the body lying in the shadows rapidly heaved upwards, and with a low, dying growl, fell to the floor.

Still and silent.

For a few minutes, Elm kept his eyes closely fixed on the body, even if he could only see it well enough through one lens. Soon, however, his nose was met with the rancid smell of decaying flesh and warm blood, which made his stomach churn and his intestines squirm in disgust.

Whatever was in that corner was dead.

Elm’s eyes deterred from the bitter sight and fell upon the three younglings once more. He looked at the veil of sticky matter on their hides, and then glanced at the trail of water that had dripped along the floor over to the body. Elm returned to the Pokémon before him, and a perplexed look crossed his face. Their eyes were closed…they were covered in some sort of slimy material…the trail…and they huddled together to the blazing Pokémon.

To warmth.

Shocked and distraught, Elm placed his cleaner hand over his mouth. These three were…newborns? But…if the creature hidden in the dark was their mother…how would it be possible? These three Pokémon were of completely different genetic make-up. Yet…they shared a strange, indescribable entity lurking about them, as though they were one of a kind. But the question returned: was it possible? Why had the mother come here to make birth? Why…why…why were there writings? Why was this place hidden?

Where were they?

Glancing back over to the darkened body in the corner, then back to the orphaned Pokémon, Elm’s eyes scrunched up. What sort of terrible fate had befallen these poor, defenseless creatures? What had caused these newborns to have such frightened features? What had killed the mother? So many questions ran through his mind, and already, he felt emotion and a tragic story pouring from these three creatures. He gazed at them and wondered, and thought how uniquely remarkable they appeared to be. A sort of affection for these three infant Pokémon emerged, and pursing his lips with tears twinkling in his eyes, Elm laid down on the ground, right next to their tiny forms.

He thought about what it would have been like to lose a parent, and thought about no matter how much Pokémon and humans differed, how such young ones could cope with the loss. It was heart-wrenching and afflicted his sensitivity. Elm rolled over and looked at them, all cuddled together in the warmth of the natural embers sprouting from the echidna’s back. Each still appeared to be frightened…but they had each other.

And…they had him.

Out of the silence except for the crackle of the fire, a tired, weak smile broke out onto Elm’s face.

“Don’t worry,” he croaked, his throat hoarse and dry. “I’ll take care of you.”

The student then inched closer to them, and softly and gently, wrapped each one of the Pokémon in his arms, holding them with care and warmth. Suddenly, the echidna Pokémon’s fire went out. All became dark…even the eyes against the wall were no longer onlookers at the fate of the litter. The feeling of the cold darkness was foreboding, but with these three, he somehow felt less frightened, despite the dead body lying in the corner. He shunned the crippled image of a mangled creature out of his mind, and felt instead, a drowsy wave of euphoria weigh down on his eyelids from the excessive crying.

The human gave a yawn, caring less if he slept on a pile of thumbtacks than a hard, dirty floor. Soon, his thoughts about the mysteries that troubled him seemed to fade away, as did his consciousness. In no time, he had fallen asleep in the chamber from fatigue, clutching the three Pokémon as he did so.

Though he could not see it, each of their expressions relaxed, and became calm and tranquil.

~*~

“ELM! Christopher Elm! Are you down there?”

The booming echoes of voices and a small light emerging from the tunnel brightened the chamber slightly. Elm bolted upright in his sleep, with the three creatures huddled around his dirt-covered body, still slumbering. Instinctively, his eyes flashed to the corner. Suddenly, the boy gasped.

There was no body to be found, but only bloodstained bricks where he…he had thought he had seen it.

“Christopher?”

Shaking his head and furrowing his brows, Elm tossed his head over toward the tunnel.

“No one’s called me Christopher in three years!”

“OH MY GOD, HE’S ALIVE! Don’t worry, Elm! We’ll get you out!”

A few fits of laughter erupted up in the tunnel, and the boy blushed slightly. They probably thought he had tripped into this hole and was stuck in it—oh, well…he actually did do that… But his eyes flashed to the sleeping, peaceful bodies of the three Pokémon. He…he had done it! He had done exactly as Dr. Sodoco told him to, and found a brand new species of Pokémon—no wait! Not only one, but three! A beaming grin came onto his face as he forgot all about the missing body, and smiled at the three creatures. Swiftly, he wrapped them in his skinny arms, and stood up, shaking and wobbling and regaining his balance. Soon enough, he nearly ran straight through the tunnel, holding tight to the three Pokémon.

In a few minutes, he was crawling through the tight space of the tunnel, ascending to the top, where several hands reached down into the mouth. Elm grasped one of them, and it heaved him out into the cool, misty air, bright with morning daylight. Elm coughed bitterly from the dust escaping his lungs, and felt someone smack his back as he let out the coughs. Staring and blinking, Elm looked out and saw that all of his peers had gathered around the hole, some chuckling and giggling here and there.

However, noises ceased immediately as they laid eyes on the echidna, tuatara, and crocodile Pokémon. Not a word ran through the crowd, and Elm’s gaze fell to the creatures as well. They had not stirred one bit, and still continued to breathe. Then, a thought that maybe they needed medical attention came to his mind. However…he was baffled.

“How…how did you all find me?” the boy asked, peering at them all.

“Simple.”

“Christopher” wheeled around and came face to face with the one who had patted him on the back: Dr. Sodoco. The man tossed his head back with laughter and handed him the sack of Pokéballs he had dropped.

“You were the only one missing from the class!” he snorted loudly.” The students were wandering around, looking for you and found your sack instead! Ha, and to think, they had all got the same species of Pokémon, just as I said, as did y—”

The doctor stopped abruptly. His eyes widened as he stared at Elm’s little discoveries. The professor looked into Elm’s eyes, back to the Pokémon, and then back to Elm. The boy smiled politely.

“You…you found…those?” he stuttered, gesturing to the hole. “In…there?”

Elm nodded excitedly, but suddenly his smile turned to a frown, recalling the sight of the chamber and the hieroglyphics. While he stood and waded in his thoughts and the other students stood silently behind Elm, Dr. Sodoco paced around, back and forth, putting a hand over his mouth with a puzzled and nervously ecstatic expression.

“Doctor,” said Elm, snapping Sodoco out of his thoughts, “I saw something down there.”

“What?”

“There was…a chamber down there. It was a room…it looked ancient, or old. There were symbols written on the walls. It looked like it might have been some place that was buried beneath the dirt and never been touched for thousands of years.”

“But you say you found these ones inside it?”

Elm hesitated. Should he tell him of the body…?

“I…they were there, but…I don’t know why they were there. But I have a feeling they were connected to it somehow…I just…don’t know.”

The professor stepped forward and placed his hand on Elm’s shoulder.

“My boy, you’ve done something extraordinary. A chamber you say?” he asked, looking down at the Pokémon again.

“Yes,” Elm replied, “But I think these things need to be rushed to a Pokémon Center immediately.

“No.”

Elm’s eyes widened and looked at the professor. The older man was wearing a bright grin on his face.

“No,” he said. “You’re coming with me to my lab, and we will heal them there. My boy, if you are not lying to me, you might have uncovered something you would have never dreamed about in your whole life—you aren’t lying, are you?”

“Why would I lie?”

The professor breathed in heavily, smiling with a contained joy. He placed his hand on the boy’s shoulder, rattled Elm for a moment, and then stepped out in front of the class.

“There’s been a great change of plans,” said the doctor proudly. “I’m going to contact several other researchers and tell them of this discovery. If you all want your name in this, I suggest you all get to Violet City—you, Johnson! Lead them on to Violet, and get some pick-axes and shovels. We’ve got excavating to do.”

“Sir, I’m…dumbfounded,” Elm said, blushing as the students ran off through the forest in a hurry. “I just can’t believe I—”

“It’s not a matter of believing anymore,” Dr. Sodoco replied, offering a warm smirk. “You’ve done it my boy! You’ve proved yourself! This is spectacular!”

The doctor pushed him right along a different direction through the forest, going eastward instead of north. To think that he…a simpleton nothing…was going back to Newbark Town with a world-renowned professor to call countless other Pokémon researchers to let them know of the news. Thoughts of Professor Oak made his heart leap again, and he himself could not stop grinning. He looked down into his arms, and saw the fire Pokémon’s snout lying over the blue Pokémon’s upper jaw. The greenish Pokémon’s single leaf extended back over the boy’s shoulder as its head tucked into his arm.

“Well, what are you going to do now, my colleague?” the older man asked as they strolled over moss. “Are you going to tell me more about this chamber? How did you manage to catch these Pokémon without Pokéballs? What…do you intend to name them?”

“Huh?”

The doctor stopped him and smiled.

“They’re your findings,” replied the professor. “It would be only fit for you to name them.”

The Doctor
30th July 2006, 7:59 PM
Ah Chesh. Your professional writing style never ceases to amaze me. You write truly like a professional; but with your works, that's hardly surprising!

The description and detail in this story is pitch perfect yet again, the plot is original for an OT fic...I could go on. I eagerly await your next chapter.

Timid Kyogre
30th July 2006, 9:04 PM
The whole KELLY LIMITED EDITION thing made me so hyper, I read it all quickly XD woohoo.

Everything you write gets me interested quicky. It's all awe-err, cool...must. not. say. the. A. word. I know I've said this before, and I'll say it again: You're seriously talented, and real good at writing.

That made me laugh...for...some...reason XD

“It’s not a matter of believing anymore,” Dr. Sodoco replied, offering a warm smirk.

I thought that part was cool, seriously don't know why XD

And er, g'luck writing the next chapter!

~Timid Kyogre

CHeSHiRe-CaT
30th July 2006, 9:51 PM
I must mention that so far, this prologue takes place in the past, so you need not worry about Professor Elm becoming a Pokemon Trainer anytime soon ><; Second of all, thank you guys for the reviews. I've been trying to write that ending better, but I just can't think very well today @_@

TheTurquoiseTauros!
30th July 2006, 10:00 PM
Wow!! That is a very interesting and refreashing style of writing there! I can not wait for the next exciting enstalment!

Sike Saner
30th July 2006, 11:00 PM
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen Elm presented so directly in the spotlight, so that right there is pretty cool. The discovery of the Johto starters as presented here is wonderfully original, with a nice hint of tragedy, too...Poor orphaned things. ;-; The writing style is of a high quality - I can always count on that from you, it would certainly seem. So, all in all, a solid, enjoyable story, right from the start. ^^

And now, a couple of random highlights:

Then there was the time when they were developing their communication skills between Pokémon, and he had accidentally insulted a Granbull by saying “Your mother’s hereditary features makes me howl,” instead of, “You had your mother’s hereditary jowl.”

Ouch, talk about a faux pas on Elm's part there. XD I'd imagine that inadvertently angering a Granbull is a very dangerous thing to do... XD

After the student in front of Elm (who appeared to have wet himself) had left running with his legs pushed together, the clumsy boy walked up to the old man, averting his gaze for humiliation.

Oh, dear...poor Elm. *stifles giggle*

Oh, and you know I just had to pick the brukky option on your poll, too. XPPPPP

CHeSHiRe-CaT
30th July 2006, 11:13 PM
*hugs Sike and TurquoiseTauros* DANKOOOO ^^

And yeah, I dunno, that Wiggles song was going through my head O_o; I may also edit that prologue just a bit, for overused words and stuffs.

Hahahabvc87
31st July 2006, 6:17 AM
4RU17 $@L@D!1one YUMMEH YUMMEH!
Er... what? Okay, running D31337.exe...
"Fruit salad! Yummy Yummy!"
o_0"
I'm definitely going for that one!
Eh? My D31337.exe just deleted itself... Faulty coding I guess! XDD

Well, back to the story:
I haven't read any fic from a pokemon professor's POV before, and to think it would be a bumbling young Elm making a tremendous discovery at his final examination in Pokemon Professor School!

So clumsy and dangerous, it was as though Elm had pins sticking out of his skin.

o.o" Now that IS dangerous...

“Now’s your chance,” the doctor said quietly, watching as other students disappeared into the forest. “Make me proud, and make yourself proud.”

The spark to light the flame! I didn't expect he would say that to Elm of all people...

Elm smacked the dreadful mosquitoes draining his will and blood with every bite, cringing and grunting as his skin was massaged by thorns, twigs, and ivy.

Massaged... o.o" Very cool mental image there, but you have warped my view of massages!!! Now I'm going to fear the massage chair in my room! XD

But…he remembered that acceptance, no matter if he had flooded their basement, burned the carpet with the vacuum, or put the cat in the washer…acceptance had always come to him, even when he made the biggest mistakes.

Now that's what I call "caring people"! Today's society desperately needs more tolerance, even more so with the war on terrorism, religion clashes and all those politics gnawing at our senses after every turn...

“Yes,” Elm replied, “But I think these things need to be rushed to a Pokémon Center immediately.

“No.”

OMG, What are you saying Mr. Sodoco!!??!!!??

Elm’s eyes widened and looked at the professor. The older man was wearing a bright grin on his face.

“No,” he said. “You’re coming with me to my lab, and we will heal them there. My boy, if you are not lying to me, you might have uncovered something you would have never dreamed about in your whole life—you aren’t lying, are you?”

Oh...oh okay... Heheheh... sorry for the misundersanding there... ^_^"

Please, do continue to mystify us with the Unown Hieroglyphs and Elm's life!

CHeSHiRe-CaT
31st July 2006, 6:32 AM
Er... what? Okay, running D31337.exe...
"Fruit salad! Yummy Yummy!"
o_0"
I'm definitely going for that one!
Eh? My D31337.exe just deleted itself... Faulty coding I guess! XDD

Well, back to the story:
I haven't read any fic from a pokemon professor's POV before, and to think it would be a bumbling young Elm making a tremendous discovery at his final examination in Pokemon Professor School!

o.o" Now that IS dangerous...

The spark to light the flame! I didn't expect he would say that to Elm of all people...

Massaged... o.o" Very cool mental image there, but you have warped my view of massages!!! Now I'm going to fear the massage chair in my room! XD

Now that's what I call "caring people"! Today's society desperately needs more tolerance, even more so with the war on terrorism, religion clashes and all those politics gnawing at our senses after every turn...

OMG, What are you saying Mr. Sodoco!!??!!!??

Oh...oh okay... Heheheh... sorry for the misundersanding there... ^_^"

Please, do continue to mystify us with the Unown Hieroglyphs and Elm's life!
You will not be seein' dee life uv Elm ageen, mon D: Maybe two or tree glimpses, but nutting more D:

But expect dee Unown.

Tank you for dee review, and please excuse me from testing out my Jamaican accent. I was going for that last minute WTF thing with Dr. Sodoco denying Elm healing for the Pokemon :p I looked over the whole "massaged" part several times before posting it, too XD I said, "Heh, anything can give you massage...but it doesn't necessarily have to be a good one" :(

blackemerald
1st August 2006, 2:45 PM
Very original way to explain how the ruins of alph and the three starters came into being. I wonder what the dying mother could be, my first thought would be Mew seeing as she does hold the genes of every pokemon. Not many fics dwell too much into the past lives of pokemon Professors, so that's a bounus. Not to mention the beautiful description planted all over this fic.

But…he remembered that acceptance, no matter if he had flooded their basement, burned the carpet with the vacuum, or put the cat in the washer…acceptance had always come to him, even when he made the biggest mistakes.

If his parents put up with all that, they deserve a medal.

He sized each of them up and down, and analyzed them. Their mouths were not parted, nor did they appear flexibly loose. In fact, their expressions looked as though they were pained, with their brow lines furrowing, as if having a nightmare. The tuatara Pokémon with the leaf on its head whimpered, and Elm felt a wave of shame and sorrow for these poor forgotten creatures. Why were they underground, in such awful conditions? What…what was this place? What were all of the symbols on the walls? What did they mean?

Aww, makes me want to take them from Prof. Elm and give them a hug.

He appeared to standing on a rough floor made of tiled clay bricks…but how was he able to see everything.

Found two mistakes in this passage. Firstly, I think you meant 'He appeared to be standing' in that part. Not so sure about this one, but shoudn't the full mark be a question mark since it's asking a question?

~B.E

Praxiteles
2nd August 2006, 5:17 PM
And here comes another of Cheshire's startlingly original fanfictions. Make way, make way...

Great idea. I never thought about the Professors' pasts and how interesting they could be. Especially with the Unown playing a factor. Though, if I heard right, this is all we'll see of Elm?

And by the way, how did you come across the title?

“I am looking for someone to replace me,” he stated, weakly and staring down at his feet with a little remorse. “I will be leaving Newbark Town and my laboratory in order to take a job position in Hoenn, working with the Mossdeep Space Center, and their rocket launch projects.”

Oh, so that's who that scientist was! Nice way to fill in stuff there...

“It’s not a matter of believing anymore,” Dr. Sodoco replied, offering a warm smirk.

I don't know why but I keep thinking of how odd an expression that would be. Good mix and match with the expressions, though. Along with this one:

Elm smacked the dreadful mosquitoes draining his will and blood with every bite, cringing and grunting as his skin was massaged by thorns, twigs, and ivy.

And I can completely relate to Elm, both here:

And here:

The tuatara Pokémon with the leaf on its head whimpered, and Elm felt a wave of shame and sorrow for these poor forgotten creatures. Why were they underground, in such awful conditions? What…what was this place? What were all of the symbols on the walls? What did they mean?

There's not much to review, really, since very little of the plot is revealed in this prologue, other than the Unown around which this thing revolves and the possibility that this may have something to do with the starters. And the banner gives a bit of a clue.

For the poll:

I believe in certain laws of nature that affect every single thing in existence, even fate. One of them: Everything is all right in the end. And another: Happenings happen evenly. If misfortune befalls you, fortune of equivalent intensity will grace you. So, yeah, I do believe in destiny.

Equiva isr luminahavio...
Pyroken Serafoculus

EDIT: 9 people chose the last poll option... *bursts out laughing*

Naruto Uzumaki
4th August 2006, 2:28 AM
Chesh This is one of the best fanfics I've read!I can't wait for the next chapter! ^___^

CHeSHiRe-CaT
4th August 2006, 2:35 AM
I was actually one of those now 10 people who voted the last option :p I actually believe in fate a bit more than destiny, as I think we determine our own by making even the smallest decisions that could affect our lives in countless ways. Then again, sometimes I believe that we are destined to do certain things. I suppose we'll never be sure.

Perganyx is an invention of my own; I opened the Bible to the Book of Revelation and found a world similar to such, but gave it a sufficient ending suffix to my desire, and gave it a meaning...which is yet to be revealed.

Thank you for spotting the mistakes T_T I really need to reread more carefully. And no, this is not the last you will see of Professor Elm, but the only close glimpse into his life you will see for some time. In fact, you could say the professor will make several appearances throughout the story, but only reprising his canon role.

And thanks for reading, FireTyranitar ^^ Hope I can help you out soon!

Kiyohime
4th August 2006, 3:23 AM
Oooh, Bible of Revelations? XDDD That's where I picked out my "gobbledegook" words for Aeon. What was Perganyx in its original context?

I can't say much, because you know I'm always in awe of your writing, dear friend--however, I promise I'll have more to comment on when the story kicks off. ^^

CHeSHiRe-CaT
4th August 2006, 3:35 AM
Tanks, Kiyohime D: I'm graced by your presence *bows* And as for Perganyx, I'll have to go back and look for it XD Like I said, it's a portmanteu of the original root word and a suffix I just conjured up, so it might be a while before I actually read Revelations and recognize the real word XD

Bay
5th August 2006, 5:10 AM
Hey Ches!

Hehe, liked everyone said, good idea that you put Elm in this story. We get to know a little more about him. Yeah, glad the spotlight is on him! XD (I always thought of him as the less known professor :( )

So more Unown will be featured? Cool! I love those weird Pokemon! XD

Also, I am interested as how big of the role those three Johto Pokemon starters will play in this story.

Well, can't wait for the next chapter!

EDIT: Opps! That review sounded as if Elm will be the star in this story! ^^; Well, even though too bad Elm won't be the big star in this story, it is still nice that Elm is spolighted in this prologue. Sorry about this Ches. Still, I really liked this great prologue! ^^
;134;~Good night, and good luck~

Yami Ryu
5th August 2006, 6:38 AM
How did I miss this wonderful story? ;;

<< >> I'll blame the noobs, yes, it's their fault

Anyways, was gonna review sooner but Eddie Izzard came on, so reviewing quickly while it's comercial XD

Ok: This story is just, awesome, Chesh, I don't know where to begin- the detail, the emotion, the plot/depth, it's just, omg awsome. Right up their with the fabulous works of people that publish books. I mean it, you've got talent Chesh, and I hope you go far with it.

“Christopher?”

Shaking his head and furrowing his brows, Elm tossed his head over toward the tunnel.

“No one’s called me Christopher in three years!”

This for some reason was one of my fave scenes in the fic, I dunno why, it just was XD I love how you had Elm discover the three starters, also. And the chamber and etc. Just, awesome.

And now I flee for Eddie is back on.

CHeSHiRe-CaT
5th August 2006, 8:10 AM
Thank you, you two. I'm glad I have reviewers like ya'll ^^ Chesh is a very luckeh kitty, yisssssss.

I'm sorry I'm so lazy around the Fan Fiction forum lately. Anyway, the next Chapter of Perganyx should conjure itself up tomorrow, or later. In the meantime, enjoy your day, everyone!

Rani Fernleaf
16th August 2006, 4:37 AM
Could that be 'Pergamum'?

I don't go to church, which is funny, actually, since I'm supposed to be Christian. But recently I was roped in by the vicar, who's a friend's dad, to help out at this Sunday School project that they have for summer vacation. So, much reading Scripture to do, to teach the little kiddies. XD

I always thought Elm looked nerdy. Professor Oak never did. Maybe it's the glasses. Or the hair color. He's all..mousy. But yay for him, discovering the Johto starters!

Chaos Rush
16th August 2006, 5:01 AM
I lurves the fic! This and PR: CoF make me understand why my bad attempts to make fics, were bad. I lacked description. You don't. Awesome job! Next time I try, I will make sure description is okay, before I even show it to SPPf.