PDA

View Full Version : Battle Formula and EV Question

Shattered Rift
31st July 2006, 9:37 PM
Before I ask my question, I want to point out that I'm playing casually, rather than competatively, and while I appreciate the more detailed competative answers, I'm mostly looking for a general answer.

Question: Is it more advantageous (as a general rule of thumb) to put EVs into Defense (or Special Defense) or HP?

Logically, HP would cover both, allowing it to (in one sense of thought) "double" the use of those EV Points. However, after realizing that certain PokeMon with high HP (or even standard HP) are running low base Defense (or Special Defense), and get pwned with ease, having more HP might not really help them.

I've been trying to find the Battle Formula (or Damage Formula, if you'd like to think of it that way), but either I'm blind or it's not sitting around to be easily spotted. What I'm curious to see is if Defense (or Special Defense) makes a significant enough difference with each point to be more advantageous (even without the other form of defense) than HP, and to what degree.

If someone could post or direct me to the Battle Formula (which would hopefully offer a proper explanation of each variable and the like), that would be appreciated. If someone's already ran the figures on this, and could offer the detailed explanation, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

starterlover1
31st July 2006, 9:50 PM
Put the EVs into defenses. They will take less damage, so hp wouldn't be as problem.

Snaggron
31st July 2006, 10:07 PM
Depends on the purpose of the pokemon and what their stats already are.

If you've got high HP, you want to raise your defenses, so you're stronger overall.
If you have good defenses, to use 'em well, jack up your HP.

But if you have a Blissey (having nigh infinite HP, great special defense, and terrible, TERRIBLE defense), always max your defense, then put into HP. You don't need to raise that excellent SDef anymore, so put it into your Hp.

Basically it all depends on what your stats already are.

Shattered Rift
31st July 2006, 10:15 PM
I'm still looking for a more... exact... comparison. I'm already falling under the assumption that Defense (or Special Defense) would nullify a significantly greater amount of damage than a hit to HP could take, but I'd like to see the Battle Formula to have some actual evidence to back up that theory.

Like I said before: I'm playing casually rather than competatively. I do take each PokeMon's situation into consideration, but I'm for some concrete proof that HP would not be the more advantageous option for EV points.