PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd generation...The worst generation yet?

Moeteimasu Umi
1st August 2006, 4:29 AM
well all my friends used to love pokemon then when R/S/FR/LG came out thye all hated it....it became boring.Cowincedence?(I THINK NOT!)

So what do you rate it i rate it a 91 (a-)

9voltdude
1st August 2006, 4:53 AM
*sits and waits for people to start flaming you*

Golden_Latias
1st August 2006, 5:06 AM
That's because your friends probably got tired of Pokemon and "grew out of it".

Personally, I think the 3rd gen. added strategy, what with natures and stuff. IMO, R/B/Y had no strategy at all, while G/S/C had a little strategy, since they introduced IVs and stuff.

Also, the Pokemon are more creative. Some, like Nosepass and Glalie, don't look like anything at all. They have all-around better designs than the Kanto Pokemon, most of which resemble animals and have boring designs. The Johto Pokemon had better designs than Hoenn Pokemon, but the Johto Pokemon were all looks IMO. The only strong Johto Pokemon I can think of off the top of my head are Espeon, Umbreon, the legendaries, and Tyranitar.

So IMO, Hoenn is the best. I give it a 9/10.

Just my opinion, I don't want to flame you.

Torchic23
1st August 2006, 5:08 AM
I'd give it a 100/100

A lot of my favorite Pokemon are in the 3rd generation, including my top favorite, Torchic. The graphics of the game are really awesome, the anime series brought even more awesomness.

3rd generation is my favorite so far, the only complaint I have is Snoraunt (The snow hat Pokemon) -_-

Charizard Lord
1st August 2006, 5:09 AM
I like the 3rd gen. I just didn't like that some of the 1st gen pokes and 3rd gen pokes are admittably similar. Edit: Woot! Thunder Trainer!

Shattered Rift
1st August 2006, 5:53 AM
The original versions created a franchise, but by the time Gold and Silver hit the States, it was suddenly just a game that gamers picked up, rather than everyone. About a year later it was just another game.

The third-generation is fine. It adds in several fun new things, but to someone that gets bored easily, it's no surprise that a remake of an old favorite is falling short (in the case of FireRed and LeafGreen). Ruby and Sapphire (and Emerald, even) were just another game in a series that many people overlook now.

shiny manafi
1st August 2006, 6:10 AM
I don't understand your friends. I rate it 95/100

Cloud Strife
1st August 2006, 7:06 AM
Worst, I give it a 73. RBY was original, GSC brought better things to the table.

Aquarelle
1st August 2006, 7:21 AM
Your friends must be crazy!
The third generation is like the best yet! It's much more sophisticated than the first and second, so how can anybody say it's 'boring' or 'bad'?

I'd rate it 95/100.

Gilbertman
1st August 2006, 7:25 AM
well i can't speak for everyone else but i started playing pokemon during the 3rd generation, and then went back later and played the old stuff, so i *personally* liked the newer games over the older ones, but hey thats just me, BUT i can see how someone who played since the beginning could enjoy the older versions better

Cloud Strife
1st August 2006, 7:27 AM
Your friends must be crazy!
The third generation is like the best yet! It's much more sophisticated than the first and second, so how can anybody say it's 'boring' or 'bad'?

I'd rate it 95/100.

Because that is what most of the major video game publications said. It is critically by far the worst. Emerald (the supposed "gem" of all Pokemon games) was getting scores as low as 2's (out of five) and 5.5 (out of 10) Only Pokemon fans think the series is improving, gaming publications think (and they are right RBY>>>GSC>>>>>>>RSE) that is is declining.

pikachu146
1st August 2006, 7:40 AM
The 3rd generation is the best now.It features more,like EVs,IVs and stuff like that.The 3rd generation's graphics are awesome.The battling needs strategy.And I prefer the 3rd gen starters. Well,it's not a worst generation.The 3rd generation games are more improved.FR/LG was a remake of R/B.

Sapphire Phoenix
1st August 2006, 8:26 AM
73/100 Ruby (my first 3rd Gen game) was really fun, but then I started to get bored with Sapphire, then FireRed come and was fun. LeafGreen sorta killed it for me cause it was boring after playing FR. Emerald sorta helped me a litte but after playing the Japanese versiom, the English version wasn't as fun, excepit acually KNOWING what they were talking about. Besides, EV's and etc take the fun away, (IMO) and trying to get the perfect pokemon w/ perfect stats just hurt my head so I ignore it all together. I rather catch ther pokemon the way it is and leave it be.

edit: New Rank! w00t!!!

~Water Lucario~
1st August 2006, 8:34 AM
The starters of the 3rd gen are probably my least favorite out of all of them.

CassSept
1st August 2006, 8:56 AM
R/B/Y started it all, and G/S/C are best.
Main problem with 3rd generation is that to complete pokedex, if you don`t have anybody to trade with, over 5 games and go to few conventions.
Overall, this game introduced a lot of good things to franchise, and it`s way better then popular opinion states.

Btw, your friends opinion is just that pokemon became way more kiddy then they started with. Fame killed pokemon a bit.

killerjaw01
1st August 2006, 9:16 AM
The 3rd Generation are cool! The games are designed to be played for longer, and you can try and be the best with EV trained pokemon. Maybe your friends stopped liking pokemon because it got too complicated for them?
My rating 90/100

Shattered Rift
1st August 2006, 9:55 AM
Because that is what most of the major video game publications said. It is critically by far the worst. Emerald (the supposed "gem" of all Pokemon games) was getting scores as low as 2's (out of five) and 5.5 (out of 10) Only Pokemon fans think the series is improving, gaming publications think (and they are right RBY>>>GSC>>>>>>>RSE) that is is declining.
Because ratings base it off of new aspects. PokeMon has remained (fairly) consistent in its style, and brings little that's "new" to the series. Therefore, it's a, "been there, seen that," in the eyes of critics. It doesn't mean they're bad games, though because of the large following they had when they started, it can't help but go downhill since the majority "grew out" of PokeMon.

Liam-Kun
1st August 2006, 10:02 AM
I'd say it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst

zeppelin
1st August 2006, 10:05 AM
8/10

i prefereed kanto more.

Frost Nova
1st August 2006, 10:16 AM
9/10

I got tired of pokemon after the 2nd generation: things sort of got repetitive ingame but the 3rd generation really got me interested again. Training pokemon for the perfect IVs and natures is hard, but it's really worth it.

If I had the choice I would have prefered a Johto remake, with the 3rd generation game mechanics in it. I loved the Johto series so much.

Cloud Strife
1st August 2006, 10:23 AM
I'd say it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst

So are you Kanto Hoenn Johto
or Johto Hoenn Kanto?

SudovVoOdO
1st August 2006, 10:27 AM
*sits and waits for people to start flaming you*

Indeed I think 3rd generation is
1° best game: better graphics new pokemon, nice gameplay
2° red, bleu, gold, silver .. are old fashioned u can't even run there
3° The pokemon's are lively they are better colored and the whole game is better colored there is more life in the game then the rest I played last night pkmn crystal and one week before I played emerald and there's BIG difference...

Cloud Strife
1st August 2006, 10:31 AM
Indeed I think 3rd generation is
1° best game: better graphics new pokemon, nice gameplay
2° red, bleu, gold, silver .. are old fashioned u can't even run there
3° The pokemon's are lively they are better colored and the whole game is better colored there is more life in the game then the rest I played last night pkmn crystal and one week before I played emerald and there's BIG difference...

Yeah, generations of consoles tend to do that. That said, it is not about graphics, but about gameplay and enjoyment. I personally still get the most enjoyment walking through Kanto with only a bike and 20 item slots on a 3 inch black and white screen.

UberSorcerer
1st August 2006, 11:28 AM
FR/LG>GSC>RBY>RSE

just opinion, I dislike Hoenn.

spareux
1st August 2006, 1:09 PM
I'd say Hoenn's the best, and I swore I'd never like anything better than my Crystal. Basically Crystal was my best team ever, but then Ruby came along and thrashed that record.

I'd say that I didn't enjoy Fr/Lg as much as the other gens. I didn't DISLIKE it, you know, I just thought I enjoyed the others more.

IMO,

1. R/S/E/ 2. R/B/Y 3. G/S/C 4.Fr/LG

help
2nd August 2006, 5:51 AM
I agree with your friends. worst so far. the new pkmn were just boring. even the starters weren't that good.

Zinimi
2nd August 2006, 6:21 AM
The Hoenn Pokemon just plain suck, that's what I think. No Pokemon that I actually like come from it.
Johto was the best in my opinion, by a far, in fact. G/S/C had the best gameplay of them all.
Kanto's a close second. Best originality and the most "new" Pokemon.
Hoenn... though i admit it had the best storyline yet... the Pokemon sucked. And why do they need their own dex? It's just stupid. >.>

Cain
2nd August 2006, 6:28 AM
I give it an 89/100. Sure, Natures and stuff are great, but I missed the Pokegear and Night and Day. Oh well, were getting it all back in D/P :)

Sir Devious
2nd August 2006, 7:06 AM
Well, they are all good. I just like Torchic, Deoxys and Metagross from the third. So all the other Pokemon can burn in Chary Jones locker! *Laughs really hard*

Nick Mckenzie
2nd August 2006, 7:08 AM
Lots of the Hoenn Pokemon were stupid clones of others, and that's why I think Kanto is better than it, but not Johto. So it's average for me.

Sir Devious
2nd August 2006, 7:19 AM
^Pretty much... you go girl....boy... transvesitte.....unique person...induvidual.... importati- I am just going to stop.... ^-^

Trooper Guy
2nd August 2006, 7:34 AM
The Hoenn pokemon weren't all that bad. Dunno where all this "Dey wher jus clones of da previous genewation" came from. http://www.rwdmag.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif I honestly don't see what's so wrong with Hoenn and it's pokemon. The 3rd generation is the most expansive and expensive generation, imo.

In my opinion:
G/S/C>R/G/B/Y>>R/S/E>>>>>>>Fr/Lg.

Spanish Machop
2nd August 2006, 8:03 AM
R/S/E weren't the worst at all. No generation is bad. I think it as on of my favorites actually.

Shattered Rift
2nd August 2006, 8:36 AM
The Hoenn pokemon were good. Dunno where all this "Dey wher jus clones of da previous genewation" came from. http://www.rwdmag.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif I honestly don't see what's so wrong with Hoenn and it's pokemon.
Plusle and Minun being Pikachu rip-offs about ten years too late. I think part of it might also come with the fact that "similar" PokeMon appear in locations that we'd typically expect something comparable from Kanto or Johto. Glancing through my guide (in reverse Hoenn PokeDex order), Feebas reminds me of Magickarp, Corphish of Krabby, Meditate of Tyrogue, both Tailow and Pelipper (only together, for some reason) of Pidgey, and Wurmple is in every way a mixture of Caterpie and Weedle.

I think it's inevitable, by this point, though. You've got a lot of the same artists working on more images where there was previously 251 images. It's no wonder that the Hoenn PokeMon "look" familiar and "feel" familiar (and in a few cases, such as Plusle/Minun, and Wurmple, are familiar).

CassSept
2nd August 2006, 8:53 AM
Actually, critics rated Ru/Sa better then most pokemon fans :|
And btw, FR/LG is best, perfect remakes of Red and Blue, trully awesome.

Puffs
2nd August 2006, 9:17 AM
the pokemon series made handheld multiplayer what we know it today, 3rd generation games took it miles further with four-player, wireless, record mixing, and lots of other stuff

drone_8@hotmail.com
2nd August 2006, 9:19 AM
i thought that the 3rd generation pokemon were good in design and seemed pretty original with a few execptions. the most original of the 3rd generation pokemon were probaly sharpedo cacturn shedinja and other pokemon beside thoughs ones. also given the fact that most speices of animals have already been used as insperation for pokemon and there runnig out of animmals to pick from.

Trooper Guy
2nd August 2006, 9:26 AM
Plusle and Minun being Pikachu rip-offs about ten years too late. I think part of it might also come with the fact that "similar" PokeMon appear in locations that we'd typically expect something comparable from Kanto or Johto. Glancing through my guide (in reverse Hoenn PokeDex order), Feebas reminds me of Magickarp, Corphish of Krabby, Meditate of Tyrogue, both Tailow and Pelipper (only together, for some reason) of Pidgey, and Wurmple is in every way a mixture of Caterpie and Weedle.
I tend to think of those as pokemon counterparts. True, Plusle and Minun are "Pika clones", and Wurmple falls under the "clone" category, but i think some of those others mentioned aren't really clones of anything, just counterparts, or happen to be based on the same animal. This is just my view:

Feebas isn't really clone, because it can actually learn TMs, Magikarp can't. It's Magikarp's counterpart, as they are both weedy-looking fish, who evolve into something outstandingly different and stronger.

Corphish isn't a clone of Krabby, as Lobsters and Crabs aren't the same thing. Sure, they may be related (part of the Crustacean Family), but they aren't based on the same animal. I think they just happen to be counterparts.

Personally it seems to me that, most people say most of the pokemon from the 3rd generation are "clones", just because they are based on the same type of animal which was used before.

drone_8@hotmail.com
2nd August 2006, 9:55 AM
that makes alot of sense that is a good way to think of it

Walking Contradiction
2nd August 2006, 11:02 AM
The 3rd gen is the best gen yet, 98/100. 2nd gen was excellent, but in a different way. It's true that some of 3rd gen pokemon are ''clones'' but there are major improvements like contests, box system, graphics...

Kosmo
2nd August 2006, 1:41 PM
I like the third gen. FR/LG and all the Kanto pokemon make up for all the new Poke' Abominations. I think all the generations are equal or almost equal but I would rate the games like this:

RR/LG/ > R/B/ > G/S/C > R/S/E

Charizard_Millky
2nd August 2006, 1:43 PM
your friends are spastic i like it alot

water types rule
2nd August 2006, 6:24 PM
I like the 3rd gen best, it was more original than the the 1st gen and kinda the 2nd too. Besides that theres a lot of good Pokemon in the 3rd like Salamence,Metagross,Gardevior,most legendaries, all 3 starters.

The 3rd gen added Natures,Abilities and although I'm not a big fan of them, Contests too. Atleast these changes are for the better, and make things more fun unlike the ridiculous idea implemented in D/P.

I'd score the 3rd gen 9/10

Shattered Rift
2nd August 2006, 7:40 PM
I tend to think of those as pokemon counterparts. True, Plusle and Minun are "Pika clones", and Wurmple falls under the "clone" category, but i think some of those others mentioned aren't really clones of anything, just counterparts, or happen to be based on the same animal.
I never said I thought they were clones (excluding Plusle, Minum, and Wurmple). I agree with the counter-part theory, and I was just going through the list with my personal opinion of PokeMon that seemed to have a definite similarity (or a loose similarity) to some of the older PokeMon. You'll notice I never compared any of the Hoenn PokeMon to Johto PokeMon, too. (I'm nowhere near as familiar with Hoenn or Johto PokeMon as I am with Kanto PokeMon... though, that probably applies to most of us.)

4 8 15 16 23 42
2nd August 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think it was better than the 2nd, I loved Johto, but i'd rate it 96, it has good graphics and it has the greatest number of games in a generation so far, but it idn't have Johto in it!!
Also I think the new Pokemon are rubbish, espessially Sharpedo (half shark half torpedo!?!?! WTF?!?!?)

Jiggy37
3rd August 2006, 12:11 AM
R/S were the worst, sure (that's not necessarily saying much; I still rate them 9.6/10), but FR/LG saved the third generation and then Emerald propelled it to new heights.

The thing about R/S was that they introduced great new strategic concepts--traits, natures, the new EV system, and double battling--but the Pokemon designs mostly sucked compared to Kanto and Johto. Even then, it would have been okay if only they'd had the Kanto and Johto Pokemon to fall back on--but they didn't. They took out all but 66 of the first 251 Pokemon, and when you basically toss that many fantastic character designs into the trashcan, there's going to be a problem. If nobody wants to play as the ugly characters, who's going to notice the fact that the strategy improved three times over?

FR/LG had to step in and redeem the series by restoring the more original Pokemon along with all the strategy that R/S added but couldn't take full advantage of on their own. From there, though, it was all great news for the third gen. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty handily overtaken R/B/Y, and I wasn't sure until 2004 that that would ever be possible.

_Goats_
3rd August 2006, 1:24 AM
In my opinion, G/S/C were the best games followed by fr/lg, then emerald, then b/r, r/s, and yellow. I really didn't like any of the hoenn pokemon or the natures very much.

i_amtrunks
3rd August 2006, 5:43 AM
I really loved my old red game, and Silver was an excellent game that was alot of fun to play (even the 2nd half).

R/S/E have tried to do too much, I like the whole breeding and IV/Ev training stuff, but the actual gameplay itself of Ruby bored me to death, I found it to hard to try and stay interested, and the pokemon themselves for a large part seemed ridiculous and un-needed.

So half of my problem with R/S is that the Hoenn region bores me to tears
the other half is that Hoenn pokemon are crappier than their Kanto and Johto counterparts.

Trooper Guy
3rd August 2006, 6:16 AM
I never said I thought they were clones (excluding Plusle, Minum, and Wurmple). I agree with the counter-part theory, and I was just going through the list with my personal opinion of PokeMon that seemed to have a definite similarity (or a loose similarity) to some of the older PokeMon.
I never said you did, as i was trying to make a point, and i just happened to use the pokemon you mentioned as examples. You'll notice that a few people earlier in this thread said things like:
Lots of the Hoenn Pokemon were stupid clones of others Which kinda goes back to what i already said in my earlier post:

"Personally it seems to me that, people say most of the pokemon from the 3rd generation are "clones", just because they are based on the same type of animal which was used before".

I think that they are using better ideas as the generations go on, using more interesting designs, rather than just grabbing a random animal/object, giving it some add-ons and calling it a pokemon like they did in the 1st gen. But that's probably why the Kanto pokemon are more popular: They are more plain and simplistic in terms of design and have a mature appeal to them.

My Ł0.02 worth, anyways.

Needs a Deoxys
3rd August 2006, 10:37 AM
The 3rd generation was the best. I give it a 110/100 (Can I do that? lol)

Kabuto
3rd August 2006, 4:29 PM
3rd generation is the best generation yet. It added so many ideas to the metagame and introduced many new gameplay mechanics. We can only hope the 4th generation adds this much.

SucKa XD
3rd August 2006, 4:57 PM
i give r/s/e a 9/10 because i enjoyed it
but g/s/c i found to be the best because of all the badges you had to get
and i found it to be more fun

sam_h12
3rd August 2006, 8:44 PM
game-wise, 3rd gen sucked. i hated the fact you could only have 200 pokemon until trading with col/frlg. are we counting FRLG as 3rd gen? that was my fav game out of RSE and FRLG.

pokemon-wise, it wasnt so bad. i didnt like the fact we had no evos of 2nd gen pokemon though. but the pokemon, i think, were much more useful than 2nd gen, which were pretty pathetic. 3rd gen brought along big pokemon, like swampert, aggron, hariyama, wailord etc. 2nd gen just had whimps like sneasel, delibird, aipom and co which i think was like an "experimental" addition, and just a few pokemon to add to the previous 151. they probably didnt think at the time about having a 3rd gen, so they came up with some more pokemon, crappy ones, to 'shut us up'

The Power of Pika
4th August 2006, 10:50 AM
After reading this thread I'm convinced I'm very strange.=P

I loved Emerald version the best out of all the versions I have (which is every version to date).

My opinion of the 3rd generation was, that it is the best. I actually was disappointed with 2nd gen and my 1st gen cartridges never really lasted out there whole life on 1 save.

My opinions and ratings on the games I own:

1st gen.
Red: my first one and will always have an attachment for it. It's been through alot (these include getting wet and seeing Missingno) and it still works. Only problem is I never grew attached to the team. I had restarted it so many times that I've lost count. 7/10

Blue: Alright but I never play it much. I got bored after Red version. It's still good to play on occasions.=P
5/10

Yellow: I grew attached to this and have played through many times. Became a Pikachu fan when I got this and ever since then Pikachu ended up being in my team from then on. Good memory and great to go back to for that.
9/10

The first generation games are my 2nd favourite today.=)

2nd gen

I remember being excited about it and buying Silver version after seeing the second Pokemon movie. I remember planning to capture ONLY new Pokemon (except for Pikachu that is)that I LIKED and that was it. Then the dissappointment struck. HootHoot despite being able to learn confusion (which I found out later) reminded me of Pidgey for some reason. I trained one anyway and ditched it. Togepi was a dissapointment since it evolved into a bird aswell. (I think at the time I was getting really sick of birds.=P)

When I caught Sentret I kept thinking of Ratatta when it came to type and the early attacks. When I finally found one slightly different that I actually liked it was a Mareep from memory. I'm not 100% sure. All I know is the first Pokemon I took an interest in was after the first gym. So practically I had Totodile only focused on for most of the first part of the game. The thing that really bugged me is I still remember that dissapointment and how peaved I was about the amount of old Pokemon in the early parts of the game. My aim to only own new Pokemon was destroyed when Mareep evolved into Flaafy that I despised the look of.=(

I have hardly any good memories of the second gen and really thinking about it I never got to my goal in owning a team of new Pokemon except for Pikachu.

My silver team had Pikachu (obvious), Lugia, Umbreon, Charizard, Snorlax and HoOh.4/10

My Gold team recieved Celebi at the tour (which is in the team), Pikachu, Bayleef, Charmeleon, Pidgeot and Mantine (believe it or not I forced myself to have it in the team). The game was never completed. I have never got to the Pokemon League in Gold. 2/10 It bored me to a point I haven't gone back to it in over a year.:()

My Crystal on the other hand pretty much saved it for me when it came to the second gen. I do actually go back to it from time to time. It doesn't consist of a full team of new Pokemon either but it is my first team of 6 of level 100's. Though believe it or not none of them were my first level 100. They consist of legendaries which drags it done a bit and I'm not proud of it. I'm happy I have Mew as part of the team though and a shiny Charizard (yet the colour of it in these versions dissappionted. Grey is not my favourite colour for a Charizard). Though it was my best team for the second gen and it did bring it up a bit. 5/10

2nd gen was not my favourite but itwasn't all lost though I still have to say that I didn't like the Johto Pokemon much. I only liked a few which tended to get repetitious teams in the those versions. Umbreon being one of my liked ones.=P

3rd gen
3rd gen I loved the best though like everyone said it did have a rough start. I was one of the few that liked the fact that there were hardly any old Pokemon in it. I started with Mudkip and still use it as my beginner. Unlike the 2nd gen where I ditched Feraligatr, I can't ditch Swampert. Of course I didn't like Swellow and Linoone. So they never made it to my team. Though I got a decent team of NEW Pokemon by the first gym. Short of 6 but better than what I had for 2nd gen.

It was these versions I made it to the aim of having a team of 5 new Pokemon with Pikachu.

My first level 100 was rayquaza in sapphire. First time I actually trained a Pokemon that high. It was when I got bored of apphire I went to Crystal and trained the team. As said the beginning wasn't the greatest. Sapphire would be 6/10

Ruby version I've played through a few times but haven't really gotten around to starting it up again. It's on new file right now and I will be getting to it when I complete the rest. Had fun with it on my other files before starting agian though.5/10

Leaf Green was a remake and I love it as much as the original versions though I still would like a reamke of Yellow.=P
Leaf Green. 7/10

Fire Red I haven't really started so I can't rate it. It's sitting there waiting. I'm soft reseting for a shiny Charmander.=)

Emerald to me is by far the best one I've played. I keep getting the urge to keep on playing and I did IV's and EV's on the team I've got. I keep training up different teams. I have 4 shiny Pokemon in it. I've got a Pikachu with great IV's and EV trained with hidden Power grass that has a power in the 60's (hard to remember exactly where now.) No legendaries in team and I have to say it's the best team I have ever trained. I have never restarted Emerald at all before. 10/10

In my opinion 3rd gen was the best of the lot. I don't really regret not going back to second gen these days. Though it would be nice for a remake of 2nd gen. I'm only saying this because even though I despised the Pokemon I loved the area.=)

swimmercyndaquil
4th August 2006, 5:03 PM
Meh... good sprites, cool pokemon, i like the battle fronteir, but i still think johto was the best. Please don't flame me!

Mudkip3
4th August 2006, 5:14 PM
I love new, so I like the third generation. Sure the first started it all, but it still could of had improvements.

Cucco-Cojiro
5th August 2006, 3:05 PM
I didn't like the storyline for the 3rd gen. I mean, a team that wants to make more land/water? That doesn't really say 'evil villan' to me. Team Rocket at least did some villany things (cut off slowpoke tails). I wasn't really motivated to go stop team Magma/Aqua. That's what killed the 3rd gen for me.

The only good part was the Battle Frontier.

The 1st gen had a much better storyline. Team Rocket takes over a company, you have to stop them, and then you find out their leader is a gym leader! Now that's a storyline!

The second gen wasn't as good, but I still liked it. You beat Team Rocket at slowpoke well, you help Lance get rid of them at Lake of Rage, and then they take over the radio tower! And it's all to get their leader back.

So I think they go like this:

1st gen>2nd gen>3rd gen.

SneazzL.com
5th August 2006, 3:31 PM
I love the 1e generation,
I love the 2e generation,
I love the 3e generaton

If you think one of them is worse dont play pokemon.....
Tough the second is still the best IMO

K-os
5th August 2006, 4:08 PM
Id say 90/100.
Though GSC was more adventure, the quality and pokemon have increased in the 3d Gen.

~K-os~

gregjammer
6th August 2006, 2:50 AM
In my opinion:

G/S/C > R/B/Y = Fr/Lg = Em = XD > R/S

Why do I hold this opinion?

Because from what I think, the only pros, in my opinion, are:

1. The changes from G/S/C to R/S:
The changes are:

1a. In the Stats system,

1b. The pokemon,

1c. the battles, and

1d. changing a simple-to-understand system to a more complex one,

1e. A lighter stance on cheaters than older games: In R/B/Y/G/S/C, if you cheat, your game crashes instantly after a battle w/ Missingno/egg that makes your game crash upon encounter, a battle that's triggered if you type the wrong code on a R/B/Y/G/S/C game, but before I go into a cross-generation discussion on glitches that occured in the older games, let me just say that if you type the wrong code in R/S, you will regret it, but unlike the older games, your game won't crash instantly, but rather slowly, as you will get a bad egg that hatches into Missingno., and in the process, gives you some breathing room, but don't think that your game can keep Missingno. out of your sight forever, as the bad egg will eventually hatch, but it will take a lot of steps to hatch it. And I mean A LOT. But you don't want it to hatch for the sake of your data, but if you don't have that much steps remaining before the bad egg hatches into the game-crashing Missingno., then you probably waited for too long to take advantage of the light stance and get rid of the bad egg in Pokemon Box, and once you wait too long to do that, you can never turn back from losing your most precious data to Missingno... The ability to get rid of the possibility of your data being lost to you cheating? That's why I call it a "lighter stance on cheaters..."

... and the lack of pros are some of the root causes for the turning off of gamers before R/S was released, and what irks me is that people listing their excuse of not buying R/S as "the changes made the given already-used ideas, or the ideas that pokemon is not pokemon without, harder to understand than older pokemon games", when really, they are missing the "No pain, no gain." rule, and missing that rule's a bad no-no to your self-esteem... Face it, people these days should think: "What will others think of that statement? I shouldn't make that excuse if I don't want a blow to my self-esteem..." and just accept the fact that they are the ones that need to clean up what they show to others. Nintendo is trying the hardest to sell their product, but do they think they can interfere with a good product that effectively puts the "No pain, no gain." rule into good practice, or do they want to tolerate the changes to the battling system from G/S/C to R/S??? You don't have to have Level 100s to satisfy your wants or your needs. You can always use it as toleration practice instead of dedicating your days training high-leveled pokemon to the max if you want to... There's no need for what you think is a quick fix that, in reality, isn't really a quick fix at all...

Now:

2. The cons, in my opinion:

2a. No non-multiplayer resource to train your high-leveled pokemon, thus increasing the possibility of you getting bored. But the boredom is necessary for the "No pain, no gain." rule that applies to self-esteem. If you don't like that rule, then it's likely that you're not going to last in this world w/o getting some psychological help. Fast...

2b. No way to catch most of the more powerful pokemon w/o multiplayer intervention, because most of the pokemon that make a team complete are Kanto-or-Johto-or-Colosseum-XD-or-Emerald-Safari-Zone-exclusive pokemon and are not catchable w/o multiplayer intervention...

2c. The gameplay in R/S is gameplay that is already used in the older pokemon games...

2d. The things that made G/S/C more interesting are gone in R/S but made a return in a later incarnation of R/S called Pokemon Emerald... Including the phone, but excluding the radio and the custom Poke Balls, meaning you can't trigger an event w/o going into a house that is otherwise a waste of your time, and you can't use the specialty Poke Balls that made Raikou/Entei/Suicune easier to catch anymore...

2e. You can't make "roaming" Legendaries not run away from battle by inflicting the sleep condition on them anymore, and that makes them impossible to catch on the first try w/o a Master Ball...

All in all, the value of the cons outweigh the value of the pros in R/S but not in Fr/Lg/Em's case, in which the value of the pros outweigh the value of the cons...

In my opinion, Pros in Pokemon Fr/Lg/Em/XD:

1. Trainer Tower.

2. Battle Frontier(in Emerald, not Fr/Lg)

3. Kept the changes that occured from G/S/C to R/S but in Emerald, the Stat system change has improved from R/S, and...

4. Now there's more ways in-game w/o multiplayer intervention to train high-leveled pokemon to get them to level-up, thus decreasing the possibility of getting bored, and the ways to train high-level pokemon are: Fr/Lg E4 2nd Wave and Mt.Battle in XD, and that's why I think Fr/Lg/XD = Em...

5. More intruging storylines than that of their R/S counterparts...

In my opinion, The cons in Pokemon Fr/Lg/Em/XD:

1. No radio...

2. The possibility of your save game getting deleted if you try the Emerald cloning glitch, which Nintendo tries to discourage...

3. There is still some repetitive elements, but occur less often than their occurrence rate in R/S...

4. You still can't catch "roaming" legendaries on the first try w/o a Master Ball...

5. You still can't use custom Pokeballs...

The "roaming" legendaries are:

Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Latias
Latios

Pikachu
7th August 2006, 1:17 AM
The 3rd started out slow, but only got better. The release of Colosseum, FR, LG, Emerald, and XD, it made thew 3rd gen better and better until it outdid R/G/B/Y/G/S/C.

Conflagration
7th August 2006, 2:48 AM
I'd say that the starters were boring but there are some cool Pokemon in the 3rd gen. The bad thing about RSE was that there was too many watery locations, with too much diving and braille. GSC's towns and story just had a much better theme and feeling to it. And let's not forget that the legendary beasts and legendary dogs were a lot better than the regis. Oh and they completely removed night and day which sucked.

dabattousai
8th August 2006, 7:32 PM
I'm not to fond of the 3rd Generation. I like the mechanics and the improved AI, but I just didn't like the Hoenn region mainly because of the water areas and the Pokemon just don't seem to have that Poketouch that I liked from the previous generation. Don't get me wrong, I am currently playing Emerald, but I rarely use any of the 3rd generation.

All in all, I give the 3rd Generation a 7/10.

Wartortle 2000
9th August 2006, 3:04 AM
Well, obviously RSE were the worst Pokémon games yet. RBY were the originals and GSC were the best. Not only that, but RSE almost completely ignored the previous generations, something GSC did not do.

I give RSE 80% and the third generation 95%.

Jerre
7th September 2006, 6:07 PM
The 3rd Generation have the best Pokémon for me. 2nd too.

enemy_field_zero
7th September 2006, 6:20 PM
the 2nd generation was the best and then comes 1st gen for me the worst is 3rd gen but i think when d/p comes it'll be the worst
3rd gen wasn't that bad but wasn't super too it had some great pokes that is needed for battling so i think i'll give 7/10

Olivier!
7th September 2006, 7:02 PM
I would give it about 95/100... good game, you can use tactics and yeah... its a hell lot-o-fun