PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Ohran Viper

klducks
1st August 2006, 5:04 PM
http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/CSP/en-us/Card121266.jpg
Ohran Viper - Coldsnap. Rare
1GG: Snow Creature - Snake
Whenever Ohran Viper deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature at end of combat
Whenever Ohran Viper deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
The ohran viper is not cold-blooded. Its veins course with the same antigelid venom used to kill its prey.
1/3

Pretty cool card. Being able to either trade for a creature or getting a pseudo cantrip is a very nice combination during combat. Most likely, you would be able to draw a card because it's a meesly 1 damage and your opponent wouldn't want to lose board control, letting the snake do it's job. Could be a great blocker as well, 3 toughness ain't half bad and could trade for a much bigger creature anyway

The Duck's Rating: 3.5/5

Shadow the Hedgehog
1st August 2006, 8:34 PM
I can't think of much to say on this. It's basically useful for little mana. The only thing that would suck is if they kept chump blocking with tokens or something. But getting either effect off is pretty good. 3/5

skiboydoggy
5th August 2006, 9:28 AM
There was a similar card in Fifth Dawn, some other Viper I think...
I was owning the pre-release with that card.

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th August 2006, 1:44 PM
Pretty neat. Slap on Slagworm armour and you're pretty much set.

3/5

klducks
5th August 2006, 8:27 PM
There was a similar card in Fifth Dawn, some other Viper I think...
I was owning the pre-release with that card.

Tangle Asp?

The_Darkness_Incarnate
7th August 2006, 4:57 AM
I personally like this card a lot. Probably more than it deserves, but all basilisk-offshoots will always hold a special place in my heart.

It kills whatever it touches, which is always a cool ability to have. If they only have useful creatures out, then attack and see if they'll trade. If they've played a fatty, hold it back to block and you're likely all set until they can rush you. Always a cool ability to have no matter the situation.

And the second ability is not quite as cool, but still pretty nice. It lets you play chicken with the opponent. Which is more valuable to you, me not getting a card or your creature?

And the main thing that probably makes this card is the fact that it costs only three mana, which makes it quite the quality card.
The only weaknesses I would see are the fact that you could keep chump-blocking it with a Selesnya Evangel or something of that sort, but that's a problem every creature has unless they have trample or a Thorn Elemental-esque ablility. And the fact that it only has one attack. But they're relatively minor compared to it's powers.

4/5

~RaikouRider243~
7th August 2006, 5:27 AM
This is a great card...if you could give it first strike, it would be downright SCARY. Well not THAT scary on second thought...Stinkweed Imp is scarier with first strike.

4/5

klducks
8th August 2006, 6:40 AM
haha, think how scary Voracious Cobra is.

The_Darkness_Incarnate
9th August 2006, 4:01 AM
haha, think how scary Voracious Cobra is.

I hate that card. It brings bad bad memories... >_<.

Thank god I had a Feeding Frenzy in hand. :X

skiboydoggy
12th August 2006, 1:36 PM
Ahh... Yes, Tangle Asp. Love that card.
Anyway, did I say I love this card as well?