PDA

View Full Version : Nature Or IV's

Munchlax Master
6th August 2006, 2:55 AM
Which gives more of a boost to the stat natures or IV's I've been wondering because most people dont care about IV's but they care a lot for natures?

;munchlax; Munchlax Master;munchlax;

starterlover1
6th August 2006, 3:13 AM
I think it is IV's. Natures only affect somewhere around 10%

Raito
6th August 2006, 4:04 AM
IVs can raise a stat by 31, so it depends.

Xtra
6th August 2006, 4:23 AM
I think the reasons for that is because it's easier to find the right nature, and the fact taht you can know the nature just by glancing at the summary

Warri0r
6th August 2006, 4:50 AM
It's optimal if you can find a Pokemon with a good nature AND good IV's...which can be an extremely time consuming process.

Munchlax Master
6th August 2006, 3:34 PM
so which one should i do Ivs or natures for my pokes?

DarkSpectrum
6th August 2006, 4:17 PM
so which one should i do Ivs or natures for my pokes?

natures are easier to recognize and give a 1.1x boost to that stat. This, on certain pokemon can be a significant raise to that Single stat. This however has an opposite along with it. The stat that has the hindering nature to it causes it to raise at .9x its normal rate which, unless it is a completely unused stat... can be bad.
IV's give a 1-31 point boost to whatever stat you are lookin at. All in all you would want to raise for both but you HAVE to watch for natures seeing as the can be detrimental. IV's however are only beneficial if they are higher and have no negative effect that can't be countered by ev training that will result in upto 63 points in whatever 2 stats you train in.
Did i confuse you yet?

Munchlax Master
6th August 2006, 5:17 PM
Yah so which one should I go for high IV's or natures?

DarkSpectrum
6th August 2006, 5:36 PM
Yah so which one should I go for high IV's or natures?

LOL..... I woulda thought my point was at least semi-clear but oh well.
Go for natures and then EV train. IV's are too unpredictable and can be easily replaced by ev training.

Scorpion1386
6th August 2006, 5:45 PM
IVs aren't too unpredictable if you know what you're doing and have dedication to hatching eggs and taking a look at the IVs.

Munchlax Master
6th August 2006, 5:49 PM
I have emerald would that Help?

DarkSpectrum
6th August 2006, 5:57 PM
IVs aren't too unpredictable if you know what you're doing and have dedication to hatching eggs and taking a look at the IVs.
You can't "look" at IV's. You can only calculate them to a certain extent.
And dedication is something that few people have which is the reasoning behind my reason.
And emerald is the best game for any kind of breeding because u can use everstone inheiritence for the right nature. There is also the flame body/magma armor hatching that cuts hatching down to about 2/3. Also there is the Breeding master who can give you an idea of what IV range you have.

Scorpion1386
6th August 2006, 6:24 PM
If you want to take a look at your IVs, take a look at this IV calc. If you use 10 Rare Candies on your Pokemon, you can enter its' stats at level 15 and calculate and see what you get. If the IVs' aren't good, then you can always reset and try again on another Pokemon.

Here's the calc: http://www.metalkid.org/PokemonTools/Calculate/CalculateIVs.aspx

WhiteWizard42
6th August 2006, 9:47 PM
nature gives a maximum bonus of 55 to a stat (shuckle's defense), but only one stat. IVs give up to 186 extra points, divided among all your stats.

if i had to pick between a pokemon with a neutral nature and straight 31 IVs, and a pokemon with the right nature and 0 IVs, i'd pick the neutral nature almost every time.

Munchlax Master
6th August 2006, 10:54 PM
Thank you

Cuiv
7th August 2006, 2:04 AM
That said, IVs are really not worth wasting your time for. Getting good IVs on a Pokemon can take days and days of breeding, but getting a good nature shouldn't take more than an hour or so, much less using an Everstone. Plus, in-game, IVs really don't matter.

Olivier!
7th August 2006, 1:24 PM
I have a question.. What does Sirious nature do? My Lugia has it...

TogeticTheRuler
7th August 2006, 1:45 PM
Serious does NOTHING AT ALL!!!!:D Raises and lowers the same stat so it doens treally do anything

Question-So evs effect the ivs? How does it effecT?

DarkSpectrum
7th August 2006, 2:37 PM
Serious does NOTHING AT ALL!!!!:D Raises and lowers the same stat so it doens treally do anything

Question-So evs effect the ivs? How does it effecT?

Evs don't affect IVs..... Both add a certain amount of points to each respective stat. IV's are a range of 0-31 and give so many extra points to that stat. EV training adds so many points to each stat... up to 63 points.

Slim
8th August 2006, 5:28 AM
I ran a few tests in my own stat calculator, and I can tell you this much:
As far as I could tell, having a 31 IV and a neutral nature gave you better stats than a 0 IV and a beneficial nature. However, if either the base value and/or EV training is high, they become even. If they are very high, then the nature makes more of a difference.

So, in most cases, IVs seem to be better at raising your stats. But, then, if you have the know-how and the patience to get good IVs, then you might as well get a good nature, too.

WhiteWizard42
8th August 2006, 6:28 AM
slim makes a good point, but i'd like to elaborate on it.

assuming 252 EVs in the stat, any base stat below 121 will be higher with a 31 IV and neutral nature than with a 0 IV and +Stat nature, and anything with a base stat of 126 or higher will be better off with a +nature and 0 IVs. anything with a base stat between 122 and 126 will have the same stat with either scenario.

of course, it's always better if you can get good IVs and the right nature.