PDA

View Full Version : TM-o-phobia

drew_the_poo
7th August 2006, 4:51 AM
I have a HUGE problem on all the pokemon games... I have this, thing with using TM's. I thinks it may be because they break after use, but I need somebody to convince me that it's okay to use them...
(It may also have to do that I've heard that TM attacks do less damage than naturally learned attacks.

Staryu
7th August 2006, 4:59 AM
I have the same thing, I rarely teach them, because I want the whole collection XD

But in the end, only you can decide weather or not you'd like to use one.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 5:24 AM
Here's an idea, save before teaching a pokemon a TM then go test it out on trainers or wild pokemon. If it dosen't work out for you, then just countiue from your saved place, the place n' time when you didn't taught the pokemon the TM.

drew_the_poo
7th August 2006, 6:04 AM
Thanks for the help, doctor. ha! That, should work for me.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 6:06 AM
Thanks for the help, doctor. ha! That, should work for me.

Docter? Lol, just call me Mudkipchan. ;P

Nipissing
7th August 2006, 7:45 AM
I get that problem too. I rarely use them except for the ones that you can refill (ie game corner, that big shopping mall at celadon). It's not that big of a deal for me yet, because all I needed from the TMs is Ice Beam.

razr
7th August 2006, 12:25 PM
a tm does the amount of damage it states before you use it, i dunno why you thought different? and most people don't use them, as they like the whole collection, personaly i went throught my sapphire/fire red and XD a few times, got all the tm's off there and put them in2 my green, so i've got lk 6 or 7 of the same tm's now :)

Brady09
7th August 2006, 3:50 PM
(It may also have to do that I've heard that TM attacks do less damage than naturally learned attacks.

Don't worry about that. If a Charizard learned Flamethrower by leveling up, it'd do the same amount of damage it would have had you taught it Flamethrower using a TM.

drew_the_poo
7th August 2006, 8:56 PM
I'm so glad the TM moves don't do less. I usually teach TM's only if it is asolutely nessesary. For example, I had nobody to trade my Kadabra to so, I had to teach it Calm Mind instead of it learning it... And when I got the Lapras on LeafGreen, I had to teach it Water Pulse because it wasn't going to learn any water attacks for some time.

Manly Blissey
9th August 2006, 4:22 AM
I try not to use them. I try to collect them.

Watermaniac
9th August 2006, 6:11 AM
whew, i thought i was crazy for not using them, but now i see i'm not the only one with this idea, the only one i use is shock wave wtih zapdos, that's the only TM i have spent besides the one you can buy(that ice beam is great!)

Dratini927
9th August 2006, 10:29 AM
I'm going to move this to the General 3rd Generation section, as this would fit better in there.

*Moves*

BasiltheDragon
9th August 2006, 12:22 PM
Good grief, people believe some really stupid things...

Ancient Chaos
9th August 2006, 4:11 PM
Here's an idea, save before teaching a pokemon a TM then go test it out on trainers or wild pokemon. If it dosen't work out for you, then just countiue from your saved place, the place n' time when you didn't taught the pokemon the TM.

i'm afraid of that to because there's a chance a shiny might show up

Escheria
9th August 2006, 4:33 PM
I am not afraid to use TM's, but I want to be 100% sure that this TM is the best for that pokemon. And I am not going to use any TM's before I get a good team made up, and tested in NetBattle. After that I will do the same in my LG

Dark Light
9th August 2006, 4:45 PM
I have the same problem as Drew, only backwards. I use all of my TM's right away. Otherwise, my brothers might teach my Pokemon a move I dont want them to learn.
;249-d;

DaMewFan
9th August 2006, 5:42 PM
I have the same problem as Drew, only backwards. I use all of my TM's right away. Otherwise, my brothers might teach my Pokemon a move I dont want them to learn.
;249-d;

Then why don't you just store them in the PC?

you
10th August 2006, 12:41 AM
i tend to not use mine, not because i want the whole set, but because if i use the TM i cant use it again and what if i change my mind later and would have prefered to teach it to a diferent pokemon...

Vycksta
10th August 2006, 7:11 PM
Seems that I don't have that problem. I often restart my Ruby game and trade all the TMs over, hence why I have a lot of Sneasels with Shadow Ball.

emeraldsalamance
10th August 2006, 7:39 PM
well, if you do this: use bullet seed on a octillery, use flamethrower on a slowbro, that will make the pokemon make a weaker attack because of the stab bonus that he wont get thats because almost all pokemons learn attacks of its own time

Seth_X_of_Fortree
10th August 2006, 8:22 PM
Only TM i've used is Shock wave on my LG Zapdos. With the STAB boost, it worked smoother than a baby's bottom. I have the same problem.

"Hi, I'm Seth,"
"Hi, Seth!"
"...and I'm afraid of using TM's."
"Seth, this is a picknickers meeting!"
"Is it? Or are you girls afraid to use them?"

Naraku_Diabolos
10th August 2006, 9:09 PM
Seems that I don't have that problem. I often restart my Ruby game and trade all the TMs over, hence why I have a lot of Sneasels with Shadow Ball.

I believe you can get the Shadow Ball TM from the Mauville Game Corner.

Charmy_Charm
10th August 2006, 10:17 PM
I actually sell the useless TMs that aren't worth being taught to my Pokemon, I only keep the good ones, or at least the ones that will help in a tight situation :p

Vycksta
11th August 2006, 1:03 AM
I believe you can get the Shadow Ball TM from the Mauville Game Corner.To be blunt, I don't like to play Leaf Green. Once I got two Sneasels to trade over it stayed in a corner and gathered dust.

Naraku_Diabolos
11th August 2006, 3:23 AM
Mauville City is in Emerald, not LeafGreen.

Vycksta
11th August 2006, 6:51 PM
Mauville City is in Emerald, not LeafGreen.... and I misread the word Mauville for Celadon, because the Celadon Game Corner is where the Shadow Ball TM is.

RyouChan
11th August 2006, 8:39 PM
I only teach TMs to male pokemon, that way I can always breed it on to something else later if I need to.

DragoniteMaster
12th August 2006, 2:34 AM
If youre afraid to use TMs because you cant reuse them sometime later or because you change your mind and want to use them on another poke just clone the Entire Collection you can have 50 of each!(only on emerald, so if you dont have it...)

ElQuinn
12th August 2006, 4:02 AM
If youre afraid to use TMs because you cant reuse them sometime later or because you change your mind and want to use them on another poke just clone the Entire Collection you can have 50 of each!(only on emerald, so if you dont have it...)

Some people consider cloning to be cheating so i suggesting that isn't the smartest of ideas.

I only use TM's on male pokemon or pokemon i want in my party that don't learn anything good for a while.

John's Knight
12th August 2006, 9:24 AM
I hate using TMs, except those we can buy again. I want the whole collection :O
But in Emerald, I might have to use some TMs, such as Earthquake and Focus Punch. Or do a lot of breeding :O

WhiteWizard42
12th August 2006, 10:14 AM
i can generally avoid using TMs through breeding, and i always do when it's possible, even though i have no shortage of TMs thanks to restarting games and cloning. i do have to use EQ TMs for metagross/salamence and such, because their earlier evos can't learn it. i use them when i need to, though.

if i didn't have a bunch of spares (like way back when when all i had was sapphire), i probably wouldn't use them much either, just in case i picked the wrong thing to teach it to. i'd still use it for things i'm sure are the best choice, though, like EQ for meta.

NinjaKoriku
12th August 2006, 10:36 AM
Haha...I have the same phobia. I NEVER use my TMs unless I think that Pokemon's going to have a permament place in my party.

Myzou
12th August 2006, 10:48 AM
I never use TMs unless I know I can replace them xD, I have a problem :(

Cell
12th August 2006, 11:13 AM
I hardly ever use them exept on my fav pokemon who will stay in my team

also , I never teach HM moves to the starterpokemon , i use hmslave for that (mostly linoon's)

spareux
12th August 2006, 12:01 PM
I never used to use them but nowadays I don't care because I want a stronger team and being a breeder I can always just chain breed them onto other Pokemon anyway.

K-os
12th August 2006, 5:53 PM
Lol. I dont see the point of TMs if you dont use them.

Mr. 1= Ive got 7 TMs of each!
Mr. 2= Cool
Mr. 1= I know
Mr. 2= Who will you use them on?
Mr. 1= Im not gonna use them!
Mr. 2= errr... all right.........and whats the point of them?

Not to be rude, but i think collecting TMs is kind of weird. (unless youve got nothing to do.)

~K-os~