PDA

View Full Version : color vs. black & white

Yamato-san
8th August 2006, 7:53 AM
which style do you prefer? Do you prefer to see your manga in color, or not? Personally, I like the black & white style.... not only because I'm more used to seeing it in manga, but also because I love how, in spite of the lack of color, it tends to present a very large amount of detail in shading and stuff through the usage of ink alone.

Hakuryuu
8th August 2006, 4:03 PM
Rarely, do I find colored manga.

I'm gonna be biased and say black and white. As Yamato-san stated, it shows incredible detail with inking. Colored manga just reminds me of (if the manga has a series) the anime series, without the sounds and vocals.

With that said, I prefer black and white. I'm not used to colored manga, and plus, black and white I believe shows the artists' effort in shading and coloring with ink.

Kirsty_
8th August 2006, 6:46 PM
I like Black and White much better.
There is more detail, and I like the shading.
The writter's words and your imagination should paint the colours IMO.

Eternity Absol
8th August 2006, 11:10 PM
I've never seen a manga in color, but it sounds pretty cool! <3 I like the black and white a lot, though, so I voted for both.

Sheik
9th August 2006, 1:54 AM
I like black & white and some manga have like one color page in the front or at the last manga which I like too.

That Scary Clefairy
9th August 2006, 2:21 AM
there are manga btw that are full color. Fist of the North Star special edition collection is in full cover and is a big tanboukan size format.

Me, I personally like both. both has it's up's and down's but both give me a wide range of interest in the caterglory.

Crystal Clair
9th August 2006, 2:49 AM
I like both. I have an Inuyasha full color and the pictures are beautiful! It's like having a book of high quality anime pictures. But then there's the whole color overload problem.
I like black and white because screentones are really cool. However, I'm always paranoid that I'll get black on my fingers when I read, just like what happens when I read newspapers.

Evan Turner
9th August 2006, 2:53 AM
Hello.

Quite frankly, I prefer the black and white. If the manga was in color, it would be harder to show certain things. And more people would just flip through it, just to see the pictures. Also, I prefer the black and white because I like how it looks.

G'day,
Evander

BattleFranky~40
9th August 2006, 3:07 AM
It depends on the manga, but both are good.

Flame Haze SnS
9th August 2006, 5:34 AM
Both are fine as long as black & white are for mangas and colors are for doujin! ^_^

HK
9th August 2006, 6:07 AM
I'm going to just state the ol' black and white simply due to the fact that Samura and Miura's artwork (among others) would loose a lot of its impact and appeal if it was in full color. The detail in Blade of the Immortal and Berserk is simply fitting for black and white, though types like Inoue with Vagabond actually works quite well in color.

Catalyst
9th August 2006, 12:54 PM
Both are fine, with or without color isn't really important, it's the manga that serves the purpose.

CassSept
9th August 2006, 3:08 PM
Manga - only black & white

Staryu
9th August 2006, 4:20 PM
B&W. Color is too American and ruins it.

Sachiko
10th August 2006, 2:53 PM
Yeah, you're right. Even though I wish the color pages in graphic novels were still in color (and not black-and-white color, as my bro calls it), I pickedd black and white. It makes color spreads and pages look really good.

blackice2
10th August 2006, 4:46 PM
Black and white, nuff said.

Cipher
10th August 2006, 5:52 PM
Black and white. With truly stylish drawing, often times the transition to color ruins the art. You can't go wrong with ink alone.

That Scary Clefairy
10th August 2006, 8:53 PM
I'm going to just state the ol' black and white simply due to the fact that Samura and Miura's artwork (among others) would loose a lot of its impact and appeal if it was in full color. The detail in Blade of the Immortal and Berserk is simply fitting for black and white, though types like Inoue with Vagabond actually works quite well in color.

Well I'm not sure on Berserk cause if you ever seen his artwork(which i'm sure you have) It really look great and excellent for color. That's just me though.

Color is too American and ruins it.

You are a moron. Color is not "Too American"(plus that sounds like you hate America), In fact manga/anime artist love experimenting color even more so than comics. They tend to vibriate the colors better to stand out well akin to how disney does it.

In fact American comic actually work alot better in black and white than manga does.

HK
10th August 2006, 11:15 PM
Well I'm not sure on Berserk cause if you ever seen his artwork(which i'm sure you have) It really look great and excellent for color. That's just me though.

While I will admit to the covers of Berserk volumes to being absolutely beautiful for some, a lot of what impressed me was his black and white artwork. I mean, hell, in the latest chapter, I was completely blown away by...

... the two page spread of Guts and Zodd, the riders through the storm.

Points if you catch the reference.

Also, what's with the hatin' on U.S. comics?

wcgold
13th August 2006, 2:11 AM
"I'm not racist, I own a color TV!"

Color.

Zinimi
13th August 2006, 6:43 AM
Black and white is my preference. I like guessing on all the colors. I was so shocked when I learned Momoka Nishizawa's hair was blue =O. I'm also used to black and white, it's like the traditional way manga should be. Tradition has a lot to be said about.

Spookz
13th August 2006, 6:49 AM
Black and White ftw.

Honestly, I think a lot of manga would loose character if it were to be in full out color, as opposed to a black and white.

Besides, the black and white format seems more traditional.