PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose what titles to read?

Asrialys
9th August 2006, 6:25 PM
Just curious. Some people may mostly read manga that their friends are reading or recommending. Some may read a title after seeing the anime. Some may choose something that looks interesting or something completely at random. Some may read a title created by certain authors, or manga-ka.

As for me, most of the manga I've read were random, even from some random anime that I came across. One of the first I read was Cardcaptor Sakura and only because of the Cardcaptors dub. Didn't even know what CLAMP was back then. I probably started reading Chobits because it happened to be by the same people. I think the only titles that sort of had outside influence were Love Hina and Fruits Basket. Everyone seemed to be reading those. But as I said at first, most of what I've read was random, knowing nothing about them prior to picking them up. I just pulled it off the shelf and took a look, and often found myself wanting to read more. This was mainly the case with Steel Angel Kurumi (finish it ADV!), Chrono Crusade, Mahoromatic, Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, Scrapped Princess, Sakura Taisen, and several others.

Desert Flower
9th August 2006, 6:51 PM
I read everything I can by CLAMP. I read others too, like Ah My Goddess and Ragnarok, and I have a volume of Tenchi, but most of the books I have are by CLAMP. My most recent that I'm currently reading is XXXHolic. It's quite good.

BattleFranky~40
9th August 2006, 8:23 PM
I read reviews and other people's opinions. Then I find one volume of it and decide for myself wheter to stick with it or not.

Satoshi
9th August 2006, 9:05 PM
I check out some recommendations, or what I see someone mention and then check out reviews to see what other people think of it. The final verdict is getting it and see if I enjoy it.

I also check out manga titles after I see the anime (if it has an anime, of course) and I ALWAYS give a manga created by CLAMP a chance.

That Scary Clefairy
9th August 2006, 10:30 PM
I read reviews and other people's opinions. Then I find one volume of it and decide for myself wheter to stick with it or not.

same here, although sometimes I just go out looking for new interesting titles and/or series.

Most of the series Hellkorn got into were from my recommendation.

Yellow Bommen
9th August 2006, 11:06 PM
'Tis mostly by just scavenging a bookstore/scanlation site and then reading through a fair amount of a series to see how 'tis like. I don't really go on other people's opinions though, since people's tastes in manga can vary as easily as their own personality. They do tend to pique my interest, however.

Cutiebunny
9th August 2006, 11:44 PM
Huzzah for XXXholic!

I'll head down to a bookstore that caters to my anime fetish and look around all the new titles. I'll read a few chapters and see if the plot interests me. If it does, I'll read it. However, I tend to pick up mahou shoujo animes since that's my favorite genre.

However, due to the prices that these places charge(in some cases $12/book), it's not worth it for me to buy everything I enjoy. And while my local library has a lot of manga(generally older titles like Ranma), I prefer to save my money for something a tad more tangible....like anime cels ^_^V

Flame Haze SnS
10th August 2006, 12:05 AM
I just checked for those titles along with the cover and skimmed through first few pages and if it's good, then I buy it.

Staryu
10th August 2006, 2:54 AM
Well, what kicked off my whole manga obsession was my friend lending me book 1 of Fruits Basket. I was hooked. I read just that for a while.

The other titles, I chose because I watch some of the anime on youtube, just a little bit, not to spoil -- I prefer to read, then watch, not the other way around.

Catalyst
10th August 2006, 11:00 AM
^ That or I try and find myself some underground anime titles, which have yet to reach popularity, like Death Note a while ago.

Zinimi
13th August 2006, 7:42 AM
I like to buy ones that I haven't heard of/haven't heard much of and have an art style I can bare. (That is how I accidently bought Fake #1 >.<)
I do enjoy the more popular ones as well, but I won't get too many different uber popular manga. Naruto, one Piece and yu-Gi-Oh are about the most popular I'll get in buying manga.

Spookz
13th August 2006, 7:52 AM
I'll read something if it's what my friends are reading, mostly out of curiosity. Most of the time I'll read a manga if I learn there's a manga version of an anime, just because I like to compare the two and decide which I like best. Then again, sometimes I'll just look through a list or a bookshelf and see what title or cover seems appealing or interesting. It just depends.

Silver Dragonair
13th August 2006, 10:26 AM
One very simple word:
Synopsis

I read the Syonpsis, on every manga before I read it. If it doesnt sound like a load of bullcrap, I'll give it a try. If I like what I read, I will continue to read the series.

Vycksta
21st August 2006, 7:53 PM
Basically what Silver Dragonair said.

I always read the synposis of the manga. If i'm drawn to it I read a few chapters of a volume. If I liked what I read I then buy it and other volumes too. When it comes to manga I like to think that i'm fairly open.

zonic the hedgehog
21st August 2006, 9:12 PM
Usually from recommendations or going through genres I might enjoy.

I don't buy manga all that much, though, unless it's not availabe on the internet or hard-to-find (like Keroro Gunso and Narutaru).

For immensely popular manga like Naruto and such, I'll just download it to read on my PSP or DS (using Supercard SD) for later.

But yeah, I heavily rely on recommendations. =P

SamsGFX
22nd August 2006, 10:25 AM
If my friend says that a Manga is good, I trust her opinion, we more or less like the same kinda Manga. That's how I heard about Demon Diaries and King Of Hell

neo_senku
23rd August 2006, 8:12 AM
its usually a good idea to find the manga of an anime you've seen as often they have diffrences, and you should also go by mangas simular to ones like

for example if you read a samurai themed manga you hould try other samurai themed manga

HK
23rd August 2006, 9:55 PM
Most of the series Hellkorn got into were from my recommendation.

Uh-dey-wha? You must elaborate, as only a handful of titles have been recommended from you to me, and I can safely say that I've read more than a "handful" of manga.

I mostly go off recommendations by genre at first if I'm looking for something to read. Then, after looking at the titles and seeing if the premise of whatever series I'm checking out catches my interest, I ask around and/or look for others thoughts on them -- I tend to trust people I know whose tastes are diverse and knowledgeable versus someone who knows little to nothing about the medium. Then, I take my chance and go into the manga.

That Scary Clefairy
24th August 2006, 3:38 AM
Uh-dey-wha? You must elaborate, as only a handful of titles have been recommended from you to me, and I can safely say that I've read more than a "handful" of manga.

I mostly go off recommendations by genre at first if I'm looking for something to read. Then, after looking at the titles and seeing if the premise of whatever series I'm checking out catches my interest, I ask around and/or look for others thoughts on them -- I tend to trust people I know whose tastes are diverse and knowledgeable versus someone who knows little to nothing about the medium. Then, I take my chance and go into the manga.

well the majority of ones i've HAVE mention to you, you start to look into. Anyway.....WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU ALL THIS TIME???????

HK
24th August 2006, 9:59 PM
well the majority of ones i've HAVE mention to you, you start to look into.

Right... that's because I trust your tastes and evaluations when it comes to manga and anime. If you say something is worthwhile to check out, then I'll take your advice. Trusting someone who knows what they talk about is an almosted guranteed way to check out the better parts of the medium. Just simple logic, my friend.

Anyway.....WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU ALL THIS TIME???????

My computer got a virus when I downloaded a program to easily search for mp3s online -- the most ironic event in the history of irony considering what else I download off the Internet -- and due to various complications we had to dump the old computer and go for a new one. By luck I was able to write the files that I wanted to save onto a bunch of CD-RWs, so I'm still good to go (my only current problems with this one is that the Internet speed is lacking in comparison to the prior one and I forgot how to make icons go from large to small -- laugh and I'll e-kill you). I'm somewhat satisfied though as I have... uhh... around thirteen times the amount of space on my hard drive than before, but I digress.

That Scary Clefairy
25th August 2006, 12:37 AM
Right... that's because I trust your tastes and evaluations when it comes to manga and anime. If you say something is worthwhile to check out, then I'll take your advice. Trusting someone who knows what they talk about is an almosted guranteed way to check out the better parts of the medium. Just simple logic, my friend.

Yep so true.

My computer got a virus when I downloaded a program to easily search for mp3s online -- the most ironic event in the history of irony considering what else I download off the Internet -- and due to various complications we had to dump the old computer and go for a new one. By luck I was able to write the files that I wanted to save onto a bunch of CD-RWs, so I'm still good to go (my only current problems with this one is that the Internet speed is lacking in comparison to the prior one and I forgot how to make icons go from large to small -- laugh and I'll e-kill you). I'm somewhat satisfied though as I have... uhh... around thirteen times the amount of space on my hard drive than before, but I digress.

Ah I see. lately alot of people i'm coming across(including myself) have been getting viruses. anyway come on AIM at 11:00pm or something.

ShadowCloud62
25th August 2006, 8:13 PM
Me? Eh, I look for titles, I guess. Full Metal Alchemist was interesting to me, so I read it and liked it. No, no, scratch liked, I LOVED it. Still do.

It's either I look for titles or a friend recommends it. Or I read reviews online and find out the manga's good/bad. But I mostly look for titles. If the storyline seems good, I'll read it and see what I think.

Locke-Kefka
27th August 2006, 12:36 AM
I just look for titles of Animes I've already seen or watched before, like my Gundam Seed Manga (which I just bought today and (off-topic)not to mention that it's the first manga I've ever gotten)