PDA

View Full Version : The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing! (463)

Serebii
11th August 2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/463.jpgMay VS Drew! Rivals Forever!

Travelling through the Kanto region in preperation for his rematch against Brandon, Ash & Co. meet up with May's Rival Drew. May, eager to battle her long time rival, challenges Drew to a Contest Match. However in mid-match, Harley appears. Will the Rivals have an all out battle? Meanwhile, Ash learns about the land of Shinou from Gary and Prof. Oak

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/463.shtml)

Discuss

Heracross
11th August 2006, 12:51 PM
God, did this episode rock.

First off, Shuu does mention Jouto, and it looks as though Harley is going there too, which isn't too surprising. Harley also seemed to want Musashi to come along and participate in contests, but she turned him down because of her obligation to the Rocket-dan, after which he blasts all three of them of for some reason. He also calls her Musa-chan throughout the episode. It's so cute. XD

It seems to me that Haruka will indeed be following both of them, but you should take that with a grain of salt since I don't understand Japanese, and thus 95% of their conversation. From what I did understand, however, Haruka wishes Satoshi luck at the battle pyramid, which would be sort of random if she were going to be there. But that's just my thought. Don't want to be blamed for starting rumors. :x

Also, other highlights include:

-Joi going fangirly over Ookido, Shuu, and Harley and asking them to autograph things.
-We get to see Enishida's eyes... sort of.
-Kasumi special lure - continuity for the ultra-win. Even if it's just a lure. XP
-Joi acting as Lilian for the conest.
-Return of Ookido's haikus. (Not the lectures, mind you.)
-Beautiful instrumental version of Chiisaki Mono.

Overall, it was just awesome. Much more than I expected from this ep. I would type more, but I feel terrible, so I'll leave you guys with some screenshots~

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Enishida_eyes.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Joi_Lilian.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/RocketDan_Audience.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Haruka_Shuu_sunset.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Haruka_Shuu_sunset2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Harley_Haruka_Shuu.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Satoshi_Haruka.jpg

CyberCubed
11th August 2006, 2:04 PM
From what I did understand, however, Haruka wishes Satoshi luck at the battle pyramid, which would be sort of random if she were going to be there.

Heh, but she is going to be there until the Ash Vs. May episode at any rate, so she will be watching Ash's Pyramid match.

Can anyone translate May's lines when Drew mentions Johto? From the pics it looked more like she was wishing Drew farewell rather than wanting to travel along with him.

Dark Cacturne
11th August 2006, 2:06 PM
Yeah!! This episode will be the best ever made! With harley, drew and may!
AWESOME!!

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 2:17 PM
Meowth dressed up as Sukizo...XD

And we saw Scott's eyes in his first episode.

ChaosMage
11th August 2006, 2:19 PM
So who won the May VS Drew battle? Was there a third judge? Did Gary actually appear?

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 2:21 PM
Drew won, I think their was no third judge (it was Scott, Oak, and Nurse Joy as Lillian)

Gary sent a postcard of Shinou to Ash it seems, and Ash had a flashback we never saw.

~Flareon~
11th August 2006, 2:48 PM
I watched the episode already. It was exciting. So Gary sent a postcard of Shinou to Ash, that's great. I know the judges are only Scott and Oak.
And Drew won the battle, I know May has done her best. So Drew, Harley and Saori are going to Johto, am I right? Maybe Jessie and May will follow them.

The Big Al
11th August 2006, 2:50 PM
What eyes?

I'll wait to see more pictures until I go in further.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 2:53 PM
Scott's eyes, we saw them in his debut episode.

ghost master
11th August 2006, 3:03 PM
Harley also seemed to want Musashi to come along and participate in contests, but she turned him down because of her obligation to the Rocket-dan, after which he blasts all three of them of for some reason. He also calls her Musa-chan throughout the episode. That's cute. Does anyone have a shipping for Harley x Jessie. Its also good that Jessie recognizes her obligation to TR because that lots of the time doesnt stop her from doing what she wants.

The Big Al
11th August 2006, 3:06 PM
Scott's eyes, we saw them in his debut episode.

I know but their always closed like Brocks or something. Actually, I never saw his debut episode because the airheads at the NBC station had screwed up.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 3:13 PM
No, he had them opened at one point. They were very small though.

Umi Mizuno
11th August 2006, 3:49 PM
Holy cheese!, did I just see Harley with no hat? Never noticed how shiny his hair was without his hat. XD

Uh, great episode. Rofl at Nurse Joy going fangirl all over this episode. XD She definately has multiple personalities, I mean look how fast she can change from fangirl to Lillian. TR, Harley, and Ash & co. all sitting next to each other in the crowd? That was really unexpected. Drew's/May's battle was awesome but shorter then I expected. Butterfree is definately a lot stronger then I expected. O_o

Bah, Harley didn't act as flamboyant as he usually does in this episode. (maybe expect near the end of the episode where he said he was going to Johto) ._. Actually turned out nice for once and actually helped without 'evil' intensions. D:

Ash6K
11th August 2006, 3:58 PM
This episode looks cool. I don't know really know the attacks Butterfree and Beautifly were using but they looked cool. Well, if Jessie did say that she'd rather stick with TR than go to Johto then it seems like TR has a chance of staying then huh. I liked the poster for Ash. Glalie's print was definitely noticible, hehe. And Nurse Joy being all fan girlish, got to love it. Overall...good episode, but I'm still wondering about May's choice, leaving or staying?

CyberCubed
11th August 2006, 4:02 PM
Am I the only one seeing this ep as just a way to write out May's rivals for next region?

May didn't say anything about wanting to compete with them in Johto. The end of the ep also puts a lot of focus on Ash and May when Oak speaks. Considering there are Super Contests in Shinou, maybe May is staying after all?

The Big Al
11th August 2006, 4:07 PM
We'll know in three weeks.

As for the episode itself, why are there contests after the GF? Are they just killing time before the next region?

Ash6K
11th August 2006, 4:09 PM
If May didn't say anything about going to Johto then I guess the Johto reference was so that May can get new rivals when they get to Shinou (especially since Super Contests are slightly different than regular Contests). So hopefully this episode can prove that May and TR have a chance of staying. Anyway, I like the Misty lure and the FIGHT poster. At least we get to see how all of Ash's old pokemon really care for him and how Misty is still remembered in the show. Also, because the title says "rival's forever," maybe it's like how Gary and Ash were rivals but they're paths became different. This could be the same with May and her two important rivals, even if they're paths are different, they'll still be rivals. Again, good episode.

CyberCubed
11th August 2006, 4:12 PM
May needs to find out there are Contests in Shinou though, and so far she doesn't know that. Hopefully somehow Ash finds out so May has an incentive to stick with him.

Oh, and Team Rocket is staying. Harley blasted TR off because Jessie said she had to stay as part of the organization rather than become a coordinator. Plus, I think she still wants to capture Pikachu. :rolleyes:

Onijon
11th August 2006, 4:23 PM
Butterfree stopped Combusken's Overheat was fun

Juputoru
11th August 2006, 5:11 PM
It took me an hour and a half to get through this. Blaaaaagh.

-The ep opens with those hot springs we saw last ep, Ash being in the water and Max & Pikachu just waiting by the side. Suddenly, a scream is heard in the distance and they rush to the scene. Someone they just met is dead! Max makes sure nobody touches the crime scene while the incompetent detective Mo...wait, wrong series.
-Ash looks up at some splotches of white paint that are supposed to be clouds.
-We're treated to an overhead view of the hot springs as the narrator narrates.
-The scene cuts over to Beautifly...wait, Beautifly?! The butterfly is back!
-And Skitty too! Aw, isn't it kee-uuuuuuuuuuute?
-But May ignores the scene of adorability behind her as she practices her emo face.
-May's Pokemon notice that she's being emo and try to cheer her up by being cute. She pretends that she feels a bit better, and the camera shifts to Brock and Scott, who were watching May(dare I ask?). Brock says something, possibly about May being emo, and Scott says something about Ash, Jindai, the Battle Pyramid, and the Grand Festivial, which I take to mean that he's saying something about Ash still having a goal but May doesn't. Brock and Scott say some more things.
-May decides to practice a new combination of Skitty's Blizzard and Beautifly's Psychic, which goes decently, when Max's voice is heard!
-Max and Ash are surprised to see Skitty and Beautifly, and Pikachu jumps right over to talk to the two again. May talks about the new combination, and Max and Ash comment about Psychic(I guess Beautifly knowing it is new to them?). May makes another comment about the combination, and then asks Ash something. Ash responds, and May says "I see" in a depressed sounding voice. Max suggest that Ash and May battle, and Ash seems to like that idea, but...May doesn't! After her initial "DAME YO!", she goes back into her quiet, depressed voice again, and mentions something about Ash's power.
-But wait! There's...Professor Oak! Carrying a sack of something! Said sack having a Pokeball logo on it!
-Back in the...Pokemon Center?...Oak starts to open the sack as Ash(and Brock, and May, and Max) wonders what's in there and a crowd chatters among themselves about Oak being there(I spy:A Bellsprout, an Ampharos, a Tyranitar(!), a guy with the beginnings of a goatee, and a girl with what looks like a pink cell phone). Oak poses for a bunch of people taking pictures, then gets out what's in the sack as he mentions a message from Ash's Pokemon.
-It's a picture with the word FIGHT! on it, with various paw/claw/foot/hand/wing/fin/vine/tail/leaf prints from Ash's Pokemon. I can make out twenty things that might be prints, and out of those at least 11 colors that may or may not mean that there were only 11 Pokemon(although the one who used the yellow paint seemed to make its own littles set of tracks). Ash is mightily impressed, as is Pikachu, and they start matching the prints. (here's the pic for reference purposes (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Juputoru/AGpics/FIGHT.jpg))
-From what I could gather:The two little red prints are from Cyndaquil, the big blue one next to that is from Snorlax, the purple clawprint is Kingler's, the orange whispy prints are from Bulbasaur, Brock mentions Bayleef's, Tauros', and Muk's prints but no handy identification is given for the viewers although it's fairly obvious that the brown prints near the top are from Tauros' tails, the red print near the bottom is from Bayleef's leaf, and the teal hand-shaped blob right near it is from Muk. The pink face-like mark must be from Glalie, the green print seems to be from Torkoal aside from how LARGE it is, I think the yellow prints are from Totodile, and I have no clue what the purple zig-zag is from. And that's that. Ash thanks Oak, and we get on with the ep.
-Oak also brought a bento lunch for Ash, made with love and kisses and cute puppies and flowers by his mom, and a Misty Lure which Brock recognizes as the Misty Special.
-But that's not all! Oak has a card from Gary from Shinou, with a picture of pine trees, a river, and a mountain on it.
-Thus begins the odd flashbackillusionimaginationhallucination thing, which ends with Gary giving an AWESOME laugh. ...I don't get what happened either.
-Ash is quiet for a moment, then goes back into I'LLWINJUSTYOUWATCH mode.
-Scott happens upon this little gathering and Oak recognizes him(and I THINK mentioned something about Ash mentioning him a lot)
-THERRRRRRRRRE'S JOY! She goes all fangirly over Oak, catching the professor so off-guard he can't do anything but stand there and blink. She then shows him a copy of his Pokemon Senryuu book, which he's all too happy to sign.
-May makes a brief comment about rivals, when a random Roselia walks up to her! It's quite short, so it obviously can't be Drew's. Yup yup.
-BUT IT IS!
-May's surprise at seeing Drew is cut off by Happy Nurse Fangirl Joy, who targets Drew for an obsessive moment(she has pictures of him, too!). Drew's taken aback("There are Joys with personalities?!"), but no book-signing is seen for once.
-We get another neat piece of music this ep(am I just paying more attention than normal or are we getting a lot of new/rarely seen pieces?) as May and Drew talk and Roselia eats lots of Pokeblocks(wow, it looks ADORABLE. Been giving it Pokeblocks that boost Cuteness and remove Steriods, eh Drew?). Drew mentions something about Saori's match and hurting/wounds, so I guess May's still emo over losing to Saori? O_o
-Drew then offers to battle May, which surprises her(again!). May's not too sure about that, but...Ash butts in! Max and Brock follow suit, and under the influence of peer pressure and a camera that keeps switching between her and Drew, she finally agrees to battle. And it must be either perspective, the animators being inconsistant, or me just not having paid attention before, but May seems to be TALLER than Drew here. o_O
-Max runs off to get Joy, Oak, and Scott to fufill roles, but suddenly a muffled-sounding Joy and and odd-looking Orangesuitedblackandgreyhairedguy(what IS his name, anyway?) appear, along with a very very short and yellow Ah, Suki Desu Ne guy with a tail. I WONDER WHO THEY COULD BE?
-It turns out that Cacturne from the ep preview was just appearing to reveal these three for the Team Rocket(OMG NO WAI) they were with a bullet seed. May and co are angry for no reason(TR didn't do anything yet beyond impersonation!), TR notes that if Cacturne is here, that must mean...
-HARLEY! He slams his palms on the judge's stands and chews them out about something(his hair seems oddly light today), TR runs away but Harley decides that just having them leave him and the others alone ain't good enough as Cacturne blocks their escape route. Harley appears behind them(his hair seems normal now) and whispers something to Jessie(so he IS planning something?).
-Harley wanders back towards the main group, but Max is suspicious of him(smart boy!). May just seems resigned about the whole thing.
-Joy's back, and...she has Harley pics too! Including Hatless!Harley! Which looks awesome! *insert fangirlish "EEEEEEEE" here* HIS HAIR IS SHINY UNDER THAT HAT! Harley goes all "OMIGAWSH A FAN" before signing the book.
-Oak has no clue what's going on? Didn't anyone tell the man before he got there?!
-Joy apparently didn't know either, because she goes starry-eyed about the battle.
-Scott puts on a small smile, lifts his glasses revealing slitty eyes, and says "Suki desu ne". XD! Oak and Joy laugh at that too. IF YOU DIDN'T LAUGH TOO, YOU HAVE NO SOUL!
-Joy appoints herself as the Lilian, getting out a handless mic she conveniently had on her.
-A small crowd decided that this impromptu contest would be interesting, hence there being an audience of more than ten people.
-TR manages to be in the audience with no disguises whatsoever. Guess the twerps aren't THAT mean?
-May and Drew release their Pokemon(you know what they are by now, I hope), and Joy does the time honored "HIYAA WII GO!"
-May leads with a Psychic/Flamethrower combo, but Drew isn't worried at all about this swirl of firey death heading straight for him, and calmly orders a...Petal Dance?...from Roselia, which somehow doesn't get burnt up but instead manages to blow back the flames. But May gets an idea and has Beautifly use Psychic to move the remaining embers of the fire towards Roselia and Butterfree.
-Roselia somehow combats THAT with Magical Leaf(them plants be fire-resistant!), and Combusken rushes at them for a ...something...attack! But Butterfree ain't letting that happen, as it uses...something that LOOKS like Psychic but doesn't bear its name...to hit Combusken with the PsychicFireGrass thing that the derbis has become, and the kung-fu chicken ends up hitting Beautifly as well, prompting Joy to comment that what Drew did was excelent! Albiet with more Engrish. Butterfree fires off a Psybeam, but Combusken dodges and hits it with a Sky Uppercut! Roselia uses Petal Dance, Beautifly counters with Silver Wind but...The petals absorb the energy and fly towards May's Pokemon, with more strength than they started with!
-EVERYONE'S impressed. Including TR! May's not giving up though, and has Combusken use Overheat. But Drew goes the annoying route and has Butterfree use Protect. Drew then has Roselia use Solarbeam(which takes all of two seconds to charge) and Butterfree use Psybeam, blowing May's Pokemon the hell up and KOing them both.
-The scene shifts to May and Drew talking about something while looking at the sunset. The background music is once again wonderful. It seems May has her will to keep going towards her goal back, and Drew mentions Johto contests(and possibly that Saori's there too). Harley pops up from nowhere as he so loves to do, and judging from May's reaction he was poking fun at the two being together in what Drew/May shippers are undoubtedly latching onto as an "OMG ROMANTIC!!!!!1111" scene. Of course he says that he was just joking after that.
-It seems Harley's going to Johto too. He invites Jessie to come along, but she refuses because she just can't leave Team Rocket. Harley gets angry at this and challenges her to a battle, and of course Jessie gets ready to battle, but not before Cacturne blasts them off. Jessie keeps frantically looking for a good Pokemon to battle with even as they sail through the air.
-Harley says something, then runs off, exaggerated style! Cloud of dust and all. May finally seems to be used to the dramatic ways Harley acts since she just puts on an "ah, typical -_-" face.
-Ash and co arrive, and Ash asks if she's okay(guess they noticed the explosion and flying Rockets?).
-Drew starts heading off too, and May waves goodbye, thanking him and saying all that other obligatory stuff.
-The rest of the ep can be summed up like so:"Do your best!" "I will!" (insert Oak's poem here) *sunset* *narration*

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 5:14 PM
OMFG! Glalie did imprint his face!!!

Dreamcoat
11th August 2006, 5:17 PM
An amusing thing to notice was that Ash's PKMN had each left a mark of their feets/claws on the banner Oak had with him.

Perapmanta_017
11th August 2006, 6:08 PM
Did May keep Skitty and Beautifly after the battle or did she give them back to her parents? i hope she kept them in her team.

Umi Mizuno
11th August 2006, 6:16 PM
-May's Pokemon notice that she's being emo and try to cheer her up by being cute. She pretends that she feels a bit better, and the camera shifts to Brock and Scott, who were watching May(dare I ask?). Brock says something, possibly about May being emo, and Scott says something about Ash, Jindai, the Battle Pyramid, and the Grand Festivial, which I take to mean that he's saying something about Ash still having a goal but May doesn't. Brock and Scott say some more things.
They were talking about how she battles. They said that she battles too much like Ash and it really isn't a very good thing since co-ordinators should defend and attack with gracefulness, but May doesn't defend much beacuse she pratices with Ash a lot and her defence skills isn't really good.

S.Suikun
11th August 2006, 6:58 PM
Meowth dressed up as Sukizo...XD
Did he get a chance to say "Suki desu ne"? That would make the episode for me.

EDIT: Reading Juputuru's diatribe, Scott did. XD XD XD XD

Man, Harley looks like a woman without his hat. Moreso. I'll have more thoughts later after I've seen the episode.

Zoramon089
11th August 2006, 7:01 PM
Oh crap, could there be a chance May leaves the team for the Johto contests? I mean, both her rivals are going there and it seems kind of a waste to give her all new ones...And Gary in Shinou? Is he researching or getting back into the trainer game?

CyberCubed
11th August 2006, 7:09 PM
If they want to market the Super Contests in Shinou then May would obviously have to stay.

For all we know just Drew/Harley are being written out for the time being. She's beaten them both already, so it's not like she's never caught up to them. Drew will probably come back after Shinou though.

Umi Mizuno
11th August 2006, 7:28 PM
For all we know just Drew/Harley are being written out for the time being. She's beaten them both already, so it's not like she's never caught up to them. Drew will probably come back after Shinou though.
No we don't. All it seems right now is that they look like they're going to be gone like how they normally do and until I hear from either of their VAs, I'm not convinced. Speaking of which, Saiga-san has said absolutely nothing about Pokemon this past month. Johto is pretty far away so there's a chance May might run into them again if she's heading there.

Juputoru
11th August 2006, 7:38 PM
They were talking about how she battles. They said that she battles too much like Ash and it really isn't a very good thing since co-ordinators should defend and attack with gracefulness, but May doesn't defend much beacuse she pratices with Ash a lot and her defence skills isn't really good.
Ah. I suppose she DOES seem to rely on offense a lot, and it would explain why the attempts May and Drew made at avoiding hits later on seemed more frequent this time(if May herself ever noticed what Scott and Brock mentioned).

After some thinking...I think that purple zig-zag on the poster is from Heracross' horn. So that accounts for all his Oaked Pokemon other than Noctowl. Hmm. ...yes, I have nothing better to wonder about than the poster, at least not until we get translations of the odder bits of the ep(such as the scene with Gary). DX

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 7:40 PM
I think Noctowl could of used psychic powers to write fight...

Or perhaps that small blue dot above Cyndauil's paws is it's beak.

Just to remind everyone, Scott doesn't have slits for eyes. he was impersonating Sukizo. He has opened eyes.

intergalactic platypus
11th August 2006, 8:53 PM
Well Cyber seems to be in denial, but this ep is a strong blow towards May staying on the main series. A combination of her battling abilities being impaired by being around Ash, her being very unhappy as of late over this little fact, and suspicious contests in Johto do not bode well for her character at all

Umi Mizuno
11th August 2006, 9:02 PM
Just to remind everyone, Scott doesn't have slits for eyes. he was impersonating Sukizo. He has opened eyes.
He makes a perfect impersonation of Sukizo-san doesn't he? XD

Harley seems to be on friendlier terms with Drew and May in this episode. o.o; Meh, I'll just rewatch all his old eps. 8P

http://images.cjb.net/096e9.gif

I couldn't resist making a .gif of this scene. xD

Chris 2.0
11th August 2006, 9:04 PM
I for one am glad May is staying and also that Drew and Harley are leaving. Both rivals were excellent in Hoenn and the latter even in Kanto (although Drews fleeting appearences are little participating irked me). I think they both left at the right time - I wouldnt be happy if they were used again and again until they became stale.

Hopefully we'll get some funky new rivals in Shinou. I'm wondering, though, if the contest format will change at all.

Bliksem
11th August 2006, 9:21 PM
I am SO very pleased with this episode.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 9:25 PM

Harley's Japanese VA' is Sonic the Hedgehog. XD

Flamez
11th August 2006, 9:37 PM
^^ May staying is still not confirmed. After watching the episode it really does look that they are setting up for May to leave. As IP mentioned comparing her style to Ash, losing to drew again (badly) and she used her best pokemon, Combusken. Harley is also leaving and they mention SAORI being there as well. Harley's character seems to be done with, hes turned good from what I can tell.
Other points:
- May does know about Shinou too, Oak mentioned shinou in front of everyone. But theres no mention of contests there.
- This Nurse Joy is my favorite one, her personality is just amusing. Harley's reaction to Joy being a fan is really funny when she asks him to "sign" her book.
- SAORI (love her) is mentioned a couple of times by Drew. Shes also in Johto, this may be the reason why Drew has decided to go there.
- The battle was good but Combusken couldn't do anything against drew's pokemon. Roselia yet again beat May, Beautifly and Combusken couldn't even land a single blow on Roselia. With all the hype combusken was getting and its definetly strong it should've knocked some sense into roselia. Combuskens overheat is not a big fireball anymore. Bottom line May got pwned by Drew. Im actually more mad about combusken getting owned like that.
- Ash and Brock seem to be excited when they hear Drew is going to Johto.
- May telling Ash to win is sweet.

raticatelover
11th August 2006, 10:16 PM
Pretty cool episode. Was there any explanation though as when/why he caught Butterfree? Oh well, goodbye Drew and Harley. We will always remember you. Just hope they dont end up in a mountain together...

May leaving...probably not, but who knows? Hopefully she stops being emo though before she goes.

GreenKirby
11th August 2006, 10:19 PM
Pros:

+ Combusken gets another well deserved loss (current record 11-4)
+ Drew/May might leave (although I wouldn't count on it)
+ Cacturne got to defeat something besides Azurill

Cons:

- Harley might leave
- Why is Harley desparate for Jessie to compete in contests?

Lil Brother
11th August 2006, 10:20 PM
Harley's Japanese VA' is Sonic the Hedgehog. XD...bwhaha. XD

This episode is great. We got two random fillers about Pokémon who aren't avaliable for capture yet... then we get two episodes in a row that involve a Nurse Joy with personality, Brandon, Professor Oak, Drew, Harley, and tons of awesome moments from those characters. Huh.

I really hope that FIGHT! poster is held up at the final Brandon vs. Ash match.

Of course Cyber's saying May will go to Shinou.

The impersonations of the Contest judges and Lillian were awesome. XD

I wonder why Scott's hanging around here? Doesn't he have other trainers to stalk/rape?

-We get another neat piece of music this ep(am I just paying more attention than normal or are we getting a lot of new/rarely seen pieces?) It's a version of Advance Adventure. I think a karaoke version of the acoustic version from the Jirachi movie CD... Fitting, since AG is ending.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2006, 10:21 PM
Their was a nice BGM of movie 8 when Drew and May were talking on the cliff at the end (first time a 8 movie BGM has played in the show)

The Benmeister
11th August 2006, 10:25 PM
Rofl at Harley the Hedgehog.

Shoot me if you must, but I think this episode was another stretched out one. Don't get me wrong, the ideas and the plot were great but it seemed to be...missing something.

It's a shame that Drew and Harley will be leaving, as they're two of my favourite characters (and I may even be as crazy as to say they are my favourite characters). Oh well, I guess we have to move on. And if May leaves, we'll have to move on with that as well. We've got a lot to watch out for as this saga comes to a close, and with some excellent episodes also.

Ashy Boy
11th August 2006, 10:50 PM
That episode was mostly confusing. I was a bit annoyed that Gary hasn't changed a bit when he talked to Ash. So much for him turning over a new leaf.

Still, it was great to see May's Skitty and Beautifly again, although I'm not sure if they will stay on May's team.

WaterKrystal
11th August 2006, 11:02 PM
I liked this episode, it was pretty entertaining.

- Just seeing/hearing a mention of Misty made me happy in this episode.
- Gary seemed a bit more mature than before, but I guess it was nice seeing Gary again.
- First off, Roselia back to normal, I almost forgot that it was/used to be supersized, lol.
- Shuu's face when Nurse Joy came up to him was hilarious/cute, IMO.
- Nurse Joy, she was crazy, like a fangirl...but even though I didn't know what they were saying, Nurse Joy made me laugh anyways.
- Totally liked the Haruka/Shuu talking on stage part, Shuu trying to assist/help her was nice.
- Harley was cool/surprising in this ep. His movements when Nurse Joy went up to him was hilarious. The little Harley/TR parts were cool.
- Haruka/Shuu battle was so awesome, I think that battle was the one that really kept me entertained, almost more than the GF ones. Butterfree was strong, for some reason ( i don't know why) I wasn't really expecting it to be that strong. It was a great battle for both Shuu and Haruka.
- *squels* I just love that sunset setting, it was so cute. The entire scene with them was nice.
- Harley wanting Jessie to come to Johto was surprising, I wonder why he wanted her to come.

Harley seems to be on friendlier terms with Drew and May in this episode. o.o; Meh, I'll just rewatch all his old eps. 8P
Yeah, I noticed that too, it kinda shocked me...I mean they didn't seem as suspious ( except for Max) atleast I don't think they did as they normally did.

As soon as I saw that, I first thought of Airbender Harley, lol.

Jikkle
11th August 2006, 11:26 PM
Overall the epsiode was entertaining but this is one with a lot of dialogue that would've been nice to know what everyone was saying. One of the question if someone could answer it is if Max suggests that Ash and May battle, with Ash repsonding with his usual enthusiasim but May flat out saying no?

The Drew and May battle was kinda silly imo just do to the fact that she comes off an epic victory against Drew in the GF but flat out gets worked over in this exhibition bout. The combo attacks where nice to see though and at least made the battle interesting.

May staying or going is a 50/50 chance imo. Drew and Harley are gone, if you where going to keep them around you would not even bother mentioning Johto in the first place so thinking otherwise is basically wishful thinking unless the writers are offically crazy. Johto contests could very easily be an excuse to give May new rivals in Shinou. It doesn't mean May herself has to follow them there. So I see really nothing in this episode that makes me say that May is definatly gone. It's just really hard for me to see the writers dumping her character at the peak of her popularity. She got a bigger role in movie 9 and her own ending so it's for me to see the writers replacing her with Hikari rather than just creating something for Hikari to do. Also this episode's placement is kinda off for this to lead to her departure. It would've made more sense to put this after Ash wins the Battle Pyramid when your setting up your character for there next saga whatever that may be. Of course I wouldn't argue with people that May could be going either since there is a lot of good points for that arguement too. I'm leaning on May staying for now though.

Flamez
11th August 2006, 11:45 PM
One of the question if someone could answer it is if Max suggests that Ash and May battle, with Ash repsonding with his usual enthusiasim but May flat out saying no?
Yeah Max did suggest that and May did say No. I believe she also said something about Ash's Strength, probably being too good for her and stuff. Ash just says "Haruka" cuz he also notices how disturbed she is and she shouldnt say that.

CyberCubed
11th August 2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah Max did suggest that and May did say No. I believe she also said something about Ash's Strength, probably being too good for her and stuff. Ash just says "Haruka" cuz he also notices how disturbed she is and she shouldnt say that.

Kind of makes you wonder why they agree to have a battle with each other a few weeks from now.

Medea
12th August 2006, 12:07 AM
Well, well, well...*dead silence*

12:00am: Read some synopsis.
4:00am: Looked at screenshots.
5:30am: Watch episode.

You know what, I looked forward to this episode for more than just the great Contestshipping and Harley. I had high friggin' expectations about a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, I love Harley and Drew. But when I see Professor Oak, Scott, a mini-Misty lure, and even a flashback of Gary...What do you think comes through Medea's mind. I WANTED TRACEY! That would have been so cool if Tracey was in the same episode as Harley and Drew. *Medea's dreams are shattered again*...Ah life sucks!

Well other than that crap, good episode overall. And now things I would love to point out...

-Great seeing Beautifly and Skitty again.
-In that photo album of Joy's, I finally get to see Harley in a couple of her pictures without his hat. I'm loving that.
-Scott doing a tiny impression of Sukizo...that was funny!
-Thank the great, good Lord that Drew won and that May's baby puke-bucket wasn't in this battle.
-CONTESTSHIPPING! I am a fan and don't make fun. There were just so many cute scenes like when Drew and May were watching the sunset. I hate it when someone has to ruin that for me.

Well that's all for now...toodles!

ghost master
12th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Kind of makes you wonder why they agree to have a battle with each other a few weeks from now.
Maybe because the battle with Drew and meeting Harley cheered her up. That or she will battle him one last time before leaving. Hence "Ash vs. May! The Last Battle!!" I would prefer May to stay but this episode did nothing but hint towards her leaving.
However CC you shouldnt be mad that May leaves(if she does). You shouldnt be mad because they are making a decision to make the character happier. Everytime a Misty fan groans about Misty gone you point out that she is happy and is fine being a gym leader which is true. If May leaves it should be just as understandable since May mimicks Ash's battle strategy too much for it to be good for a coordinator and her rivals are all setting off to Johto.

Umi Mizuno
12th August 2006, 1:07 AM
And it turns out to be a contest too. Maybe a final battle until good-bye?

Satoshi
12th August 2006, 1:40 AM
But when I see Professor Oak, Scott, a mini-Misty lure, and even a flashback of Gary...What do you think comes through Medea's mind. I WANTED TRACEY! That would have been so cool if Tracey was in the same episode as Harley and Drew. *Medea's dreams are shattered again*...Ah life sucks!I recall Kenji being mentioned. In one sentence.

Just for reference, Agehunt was using Psychic (saiko kineshisu) and Butterfree used Psybeam (saike kousen), Protect (mamoru) and Razor Wind (kamai tachi). Wakashamo used Fire Spin (honoo nouzu), Sky Uppercut (sukai appaa), and Overheat (ooba hiito) and Roselia was using Petal Dance (hana biranomai), Magical Leaf (majikaru rifu) and Solarbeam (sooraa biimu).

The Great Butler
12th August 2006, 1:55 AM
I think this is May's swan song, now I'm certain of it. People were joking she'd go to Johto and disappear to the ages, and now look---Drew, Harley AND Saori are all going there. Considering that the latter is the coordinator who destroyed May in the final battle of the Grand Festival, and that anyone suffering that kind of defeat would want to even the score, she's gonna follow them.

Might Gary be making a comeback, though? It's pretty certain now Ash is staying. Since Gary sent Ash a postcard of Shinou, it's reasonable to assume he might be there already.

So many possibilities, all to be answered in such short order.....

EDIT: That Nurse Joy is SCARY.

EDIT 2: WTF happened to Harley's hair?

ハルカ and ゴンベ
12th August 2006, 1:58 AM
However CC you shouldnt be mad that May leaves(if she does). You shouldnt be mad because they are making a decision to make the character happier. Everytime a Misty fan groans about Misty gone you point out that she is happy and is fine being a gym leader which is true. If May leaves it should be just as understandable since May mimicks Ash's battle strategy too much for it to be good for a coordinator and her rivals are all setting off to Johto.

Trust me when I say that Haruka will be happier with Satoshi-tachi.

I have a question anyways, Has Masato even thought about what he's gonna be doing at all?

Double_Edge
12th August 2006, 2:00 AM
Hye, I might be missing out alot of information but please, dont flame me, could someone pleas ejust answer a question of mine? i watched a raw of the episode and when Oak gave Ash the picture it sounde dlike they were talking about Shinou. So does this confirm Ash is going to Shinou?

Sorry, if this is a question i should already know the answer too, its just that I havent been keeping up with the anime news. And last I heard, the series has a possibility of Ash and friends leaving and starting over with the new girl.

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 2:15 AM
Gary invited Ash to go to Shinou to see something.

As for Max, no, he hasn't said anything about what he's doing. Most of us imagine he'll just be with May wherever he goes.

The Great Butler
12th August 2006, 2:28 AM
Trust me when I say that Haruka will be happier with Satoshi-tachi.

Happier than being able to explore a new region on her own, bogged down by no one, with the chance to compete with her two long time rivals (and new third if Saori WAS mentioned) and become famous on her own?

You're sounding as if your being an AdvancedShipper is clouding your judgment.

Heracross
12th August 2006, 2:50 AM
That episode was mostly confusing. I was a bit annoyed that Gary hasn't changed a bit when he talked to Ash. So much for him turning over a new leaf.
I was glad to see him acting like his old self. Post-Kanto Shigeru was boring.

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 2:51 AM
May certainly isn't doing poorly while traveling with Ash.

She came in the Top 4 in the GF, she almost won the entire damn thing! Saori was just an elite, she was very experienced so it's no surprise May lost. Pretty much the same way Robert took down Drew in the Hoenn GF.

Heracross
12th August 2006, 2:54 AM
(and new third if Saori WAS mentioned)
Which she was. It sounded as if she was Shuu's reason for going there in the first place.

Kiori
12th August 2006, 2:54 AM
I thought with Robert, Drew was able to take his points down to a half. With Saori, May only damaged a fraction of her bar.

And if you can remember, she's depressed because her battling skills uses more brute force than style. No matter how far May had come on this GF, she's depressed because she's influenced towards Ash's battling skills rather than going on her own skills.

And you were indeed the one who said that May beating Drew that time might not have been a clean victory for her coz Absol was still alive and kicking.

ghost master
12th August 2006, 2:58 AM
Maybe or maybe not. However Scott and Brock both had a conversation about Ash affecting her too much and that her battle style mimicks Ash's style and isnt good for a coordinator to be so offensive. She also lost to Drew in the very same episode and she was using her two best pokemon.

I dont want her to leave but they are leaving alot of hints that could lead to her leaving.

Kabuto
12th August 2006, 3:40 AM
This episode is good. We finally get some confirmation Ash is staying because they mentioned him going to Shinou. I really hope Gary plays a bigger part next season (I doubt he'd revert back to his old position as one of the main characters though). May might be going to Johto, which wouldn't bother me too much. Same goes for Drew and Harley. Great characters while they lasted, but we need change. Same thing that happened with Pocket Monsters has to happen to AG. But anyway, I'm hoping the Pyramid is coming soon.

Zoramon089
12th August 2006, 3:47 AM
Come on May fans!
1. May depressed battling style is too much like Ash's
2. Both rivals going to Johto
3. New girl shown to be in Shinou
All these point to her leaving the group, or the group dismantling and Ash starting alone in Shinou...

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 3:52 AM
Actually, Drew said that she lost so easily because she got too "confident" with her win at the GF and let herself slide.

Rivals going to Johto means little, they can simply be written out. Hikari is also only involved with the legends, so she doesn't interfere with May.

Super Contests + Munchlax + Eevee + popularity implies that May will continue. You cannot forget KAORI's positive remarks about how she wants to work with the show for a long time, either.

KuwabaraTheMan
12th August 2006, 3:58 AM
Shuu and Harley maybe getting a break. It allows Haruka to have new, fresh rivals and Shinou, and the two of them to return later and be very fresh.

Shigeru in Shinou is awesome news. Pretty much confirms Satoshi going there, and Haruka by extension.

The battle was pretty good, although one sided. I really loved the music used in the Haruka/Shuu scene later in the episode, too. And Fangirl Joi-san is awesome, as was Enishida's "Suki desu ne".

charizard trainer #1
12th August 2006, 4:32 AM
I was glad to see him acting like his old self. Post-Kanto Shigeru was boring.

Agreed. Gary had flair and a hell of a lot of girls back then.
Anway, Gary in Shinou means he'll have some appearances...

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 4:59 AM
Indeed. This is the best example of a stale character taking a break and becoming "good" again.

Misty became a better character as a Cerulean Gym leader, and Gary (according to that one scene) has his edge back. For god sakes, writers, save Brock's character!

S.Suikun
12th August 2006, 5:36 AM
I thought with Robert, Drew was able to take his points down to a half. With Saori, May only damaged a fraction of her bar.
Technically Saori's should have gone farther down, since the hit with Fire Spin that Combusken made against Pidgeot did absolutely nothing to the bar. Then again, May has had some score rigging in her favor in the past...

intergalactic platypus
12th August 2006, 5:56 AM

She came in the Top 4 in the GF, she almost won the entire damn thing! Saori was just an elite, she was very experienced so it's no surprise May lost. Pretty much the same way Robert took down Drew in the Hoenn GF.
Funny because the conversation in the ep was all about how Ashes influence is bringing her down as a coordinator. One of the main reasons she looks so depressed I presume

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 6:16 AM
Funny because the conversation in the ep was all about how Ashes influence is bringing her down as a coordinator. One of the main reasons she looks so depressed I presume

ONE conversation, shared between Brock/Scott for less than a minute.

May is depressed because she lost to Saori and doesn't know what to do next about her goal. Losing to Drew again didn't help matters.

intergalactic platypus
12th August 2006, 6:20 AM
All because it was one convo doesn't mean it wasn't a heavy handed attempt on the part of the writers to suggest Ashes mentoring of May didn't pay off well

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 6:21 AM
Which is BS because coming in the Top 4 is a hell of an accomplishment.

Maybe losing to Drew was another learning experience so now she knows better. Problem solved.

intergalactic platypus
12th August 2006, 6:42 AM
Ooh Cyber's getting angry. I really don't see why your scoffing the idea of her leaving so much. Its not like its confirmed but your acting like its not a distinct possibility

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 6:49 AM
Please, I'm not angry. :p

I watched the episode again and after Drew leaves and is presumedly heading off to Johto, May simply waves goodbye to him and says she'll get as strong as him again.

Also, when Drew says he's going to Johto when they're staring at the sunset, May looks really sad. That doesn't give me the impression of someone who is jumping first chance she gets to run off to Johto with Drew.

I don't know, her body language and sadness did not seem to imply she's going to follow them.

Umi Mizuno
12th August 2006, 6:54 AM
I don't know, her body language and sadness did not seem to imply she's going to follow them.
Didn't really seem like she was going to stay much longer if she wants to pursue a goal. Remember in the previous epsiode her reason for being so sad was because she had no goal, but now since Drew beat her and she's heard of Johto hosting contests she actually has something to pursue.

Blue_Lightning8
12th August 2006, 7:03 AM
Wow, i've heard nothing about Brock. Though i didn't care about Ash staying or not. Ehhh, whatever. I hope that since Gary introduced Shinou to Ash means he'll be there...probably not. Whatever, again. I have nothing to say about May and i extremely don't care bout' Max

S.Suikun
12th August 2006, 7:05 AM
Is this the first time Movie 8 BGM has been used in the anime?

Even if Saori didn't make an appearance, it's good to know that the writers aren't completely abandoning her like they did with Ash's posse of Hoenn League rivals. Animation was great in this episode, though Harley looked a little off in a few poses. Speaking of Harley...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4787/vlcsnap391761wl4.png

Heracross
12th August 2006, 7:44 AM
She also could have reacted that way because it put her with such a tough choice to make, knowing that either way she chooses to go, she won't be seeing some of her friends for quite a while. It works both ways.

HoennMaster
12th August 2006, 8:31 AM
I think May is staying, she didn't seem to jump at the chance of the Johto contests.

Yamato-san
12th August 2006, 10:18 AM
But Butterfree ain't letting that happen, as it uses...something that LOOKS like Psychic but doesn't bear its name...to hit Combusken with the PsychicFireGrass thing that the derbis has become

it was Nenriki (Confusion). And yes, a Butterfree finally used it! ^^ We already saw it in the trailer, but still..... 10 friggin' years for the anime to showcase this Pokemon using this move. And it wasn't even a TM or some unusual, high-level move. This is a friggin' low-damage attack that Butterfree learns shortly after evolving (and in later games, immediately after evolving), why couldn't it be used as a staple move? Probably the same reason Satoshi's Hinoarashi never learned Flame Wheel (IOW the writers just suck that way :P). Well, with Butterfree's psychic attacks down, I guess all that's left for me to see is an anime portrayal of Sketch... and maybe one or two other attacks.

at least not until we get translations of the odder bits of the ep(such as the scene with Gary). DX

Shigeru: "Get a hold of yourself, Satoshi-kun!"

Satoshi: "Shi... Shigeru..."

Shigeru: "You won against me. You shouldn't admit defeat."

Satoshi: "I know that."

Shigeru: "That so? So what are you going to do?"

Satoshi: "I'll win. This next time, I'll be sure to..."

Shigeru: "Because you won't choose to stop associating with me, am I right?" [laughs]

I couldn't make out a couple of lines, but this was translated to the best of my ability. Anway, it seems as though the scene in question isn't a flashback. Satoshi and Shigeru never met after their wardrobe change, and I don't recall Satoshi being so distraught over his loss against Hadzuki in the Shirogane Tournament, so it's doubtful Satoshi's looking back on Shigeru giving a pep talk at the time (though, to be fair, the show's riddled with inconsistencies, and it could be easy to overlook such details). Judging from the scenery matching exactly what was in the postcard, I'd say Shigeru and his encouragement was just a figment of Satoshi's imagination.

And if such is the case, then sadly, what was said about Shigeru improving after being gone so long can't exactly be confirmed (and being Satoshi's imagination, he's bound to portray him in a certain way). Nontheless, it was good to see Shigeru not act like his dull Jouto self. Stuff like that makes it sad to see him go. On another note, we have no clue on the Jouto contest situation (god damn, they are really throwing us for a loop until the last minute, aren't they?), but if Haruka's rivals really are leaving the show, then.... god, I'm gonna miss both of them. It's obvious I'd miss Harley (though, I guess people have a point that he could grow stale), and Shuu was actually starting to grow interesting with the Grand Festival (some people say the same thing said about Harley: this would keep him from staling. However, if anything, Shuu was stale when he first appeared, nothing but some monosexual Jouto Shigeru knock-off. He's only begun to grow out of that crap T_T).

I think Noctowl could of used psychic powers to write fight...

Or perhaps that small blue dot above Cyndauil's paws is it's beak.

no, Ookido specifically mentions that he wrote "FIGHT!!" But the blue dot sounds reasonable. Speaking of the sign, I friggin' loved how I noticed Waninoko's prints right off the bat. XD Sadly, those are probably the only prints that show off a Pokemon's personality. Also, about that big green print.... I agree with Juputoru, it looks like Cotoise, but it's too friggin' huge. Also, does this mean he traded back Cotoise for Aipom? Or was this sign, perhaps, made before he fought Jindai's Registeel (and thus, Ookido undermines his pupil's abilities... though, perhaps rightfully so, given that taking down a legendary's certainly no easy task)?

- Ash and Brock seem to be excited when they hear Drew is going to Johto.

they just bring up how nostalgic it is, having been in Jouto before.

...bwhaha. XD

it's true, you know. Kanemaru Jun'ichi does indeed voice both Harley and Sonic the Hedgehog. I wonder if Harley's dash really was a reference to that like Kojiro makes it out to be (I already have a suspicious feeling that this is also why Harley enjoys the usage of Engrish ^^).

The Big Al
12th August 2006, 12:31 PM
Drew strike back with a vengence. And yes, I'm one happy TBA for the writers finally realizing that Butterfree can use Psychic Powers (if only they had remembered back in the first episode with Bulbasaur). Not to mention Butterfree got down its clone.

Okay, this Nurse is starting to scare me. She goes bonkers whenever her hat is off (which we wonder what happens when she sleeps) and is a bit too hyper for my tastes. I wonder if someone accidently put expresso in her blood surrogate. [/Brave New World reference]

Marg, a perfect chance to get rid of TR wasted. Damn Jessie's blind loyalty (she'd probably fare better in life if she quit and did contests).

Jikkle
12th August 2006, 1:18 PM
All that is established in this episode is that Drew and Harley are gone. We won't know if this episode is a setup for May being leaving the group and going to Johto or this episode is a setup for new Rivals in Shinou. Arguements are strong on both sides so might as well wait for Ash vs May episode to get the final answers. I must say no matter what happens the writers have sure done a good job to hook everyone so kudos to them for that :p

Gravy
12th August 2006, 1:22 PM
I'll get the negative's out of the way first~

-Yeah...now that I've watched this, I can side with Sushi in saying that they maybe should have saved Iwane for another episode. Don't get me wrong, Shuu and Harley at least deserved to go out in style and you can't complain about any episode animated by this dude. But...there just wasn't any need for him this time around. It was more talky-talk than walky-walk, which meant a lot of scenes where the animation was limited. Methinks it would have been more preferable to have him work on 'Ash vs. Haruka! The Last Battle'.

-The battle between Shuu and Haruka was ...well, I didn't like it as much as I should have. It was a good fight and all, but 'Syamo and Beautifly went down way too easily for my tastes. Especially when you take into account the amount of abuse 'Syamo had been taking from Absol back in the Grand Festival. It seemed rather awkward to have it fall victim to a double beam blast. Yeah, yeah, I know it's to set Shuu up as a more prominent rival for Haruka, but still. There was something disatisfying about it all. Bah,I'll get over it.

That's really all I have to complain about though. this episode wasn't about beating the crap out of each other and crud like that. It was all character interaction, and thankfully this episode was chock full o' meaty ineractive goodness.
Nurse Joy is hearby officially classed as 'The Best Nurse Joy since the last Best Nurse Joy, who is currently unknown'. She's awesome wrapped in a shell of pink, nursey goodness. And when I think back to all the crappy Joy's we have put up with in the past, it makes me wonder why it's taken so long for this gal to show up. "It's a Joyful...world".
Harley was as good as ever, and I for one liked the fact that he seems to have developed this strange friendship (if you can call it that) towards Jessie. If this is indeed his final hurrah for the moment, it's a shame this will never be developed any further. It would have nice to witness more Team Harley antics :p
The rest I'm far too lazy to talk about, but rest assured, I did like it.
How's that for closure?

it's true, you know. Kanemaru Jun'ichi does indeed voice both Harley and Sonic the Hedgehog. I wonder if Harley's dash really was a reference to that like Kojiro makes it out to be (I already have a suspicious feeling that this is also why Harley enjoys the usage of Engrish ^^).
It had damn well better be. Though I would have killed to see Harley leap into a foward roll and perform a Spin Dash~
As much as I LOVE Jun-ichi's voice acting, I'm yet to read into any other voices he's done besides the Blue Blur and the Camp Coordinator. So I'm wondering if the whole engrish angle is his trademark in the VA biz or something. I wouldn't be surprised, as he seems to put a lot of enthusiasm into his acting XP

Marg, a perfect chance to get rid of TR wasted. Damn Jessie's blind loyalty (she'd probably fare better in life if she quit and did contests).
I guess this is one of those instances where 'The Power of Friendship' ain't too powerful. Oh, the complete and utter irony :p

What's next: pokemon contests in the Orange League

*cough*THE NIDORAN EPISODE*cough*

*ahem*

Yamato-san
12th August 2006, 1:40 PM
As much as I LOVE Jun-ichi's voice acting, I'm yet to read into any other voices he's done besides the Blue Blur and the Camp Coordinator. So I'm wondering if the whole engrish angle is his trademark in the VA biz or something. I wouldn't be surprised, as he seems to put a lot of enthusiasm into his acting XP

the only other role I'm familiar with is Akiyama Ryou from Digimon Tamers. And no, Ryou is not an Engrish nut (hell, I don't recall Ryou speaking Engrish at all outside the standard Digimon and item names). I doubt Engrish is his trademark, however, Pokemon does seem to built seiyuu references from time to time (Takeshi and Fushigi Yuugi's Suboshi, Adan and FMA's Frank Archer), and Sonic is arguably his most famous role.

.::Lynee::.
12th August 2006, 2:16 PM
A episode that satisfies me

The battle between Shuu & Haruka was so awesome. Many impressive performances apart-from Butterfree's appearance >< I don't mean it made the battle worse but why did Butterfree have to be Drew's ? >< God! Many characters got it.

I love the music in this Es: sad & slow ^_^ Very beautiful

Nurse Joy ^^ Everybody is her idols, including Harley :D

Jikkle
12th August 2006, 3:13 PM
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that there ARE now suddenly contests in the Johto region. I mean it was one thing for them to be suddenly placed in the Kanto region (and I know the anime doesn't specifically go by the games), but this is just getting plain ridiculous now! IMO pokemon contests (along with double battles) should've stayed where they belonged which is in the HOENN REGION! These two aspects are a huge part of the reason as to why the Hoenn region (and the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald games) were unique from the past generations! What's next: pokemon contests in the Orange League :@!

Edit: Actually now that I think about it there was a mention of a pokemon contest in the episode "Wherefore Art Thou, Nidoran?", and a double battle was first featured in "Pokemon Double Trouble" which is proof that there WERE other regions that had it prior to Hoenn, but still the Orange League isn't technically an offical league (and plus it never had a game based off of it) so it doesn't count :p!

In terms of the anime plot it would be safe to assume that Kanto and Johto have had contests the whole time but obviously Ash, Misty, and Brock had no interest in them so they where never shown. I mean we all know that's because they weren't created in the games but I'm speaking in terms of the plot :p. It would be silly for the anime for those regions not to have them really. It would be like going California having baseball than going to Washington and them never hearing about or playing baseball if that analogy makes sense hehe.

CyberCubed
12th August 2006, 3:39 PM
She also could have reacted that way because it put her with such a tough choice to make, knowing that either way she chooses to go, she won't be seeing some of her friends for quite a while. It works both ways.

True, but I think it was more because she won't be seeing Drew for a while. She knows Ash is going to Shinou now, and if she hears about Contests there she'll have to make a choice.

Don't forget about Max. The little kid idolizes Ash, and he was with him in the beginning of the episode in the hot springs. Since May/Max are a set, I can't see one being here without the other.

I doubt Max wants to leave Ash, at all. He loves watching his battles and would probably love to see Ash battle Gym leaders in the Shinou region. We know May loves her little brother more than anything, and if he wants to stay with Ash, she probably will too.

I'd like to think the writers aren't going to throw away a story arc they've been writing for 4+ years and 200 episodes. Drew/Harley can simply come back after Shinou, since neither rivalry is resolved.

kaibachaoschampion
12th August 2006, 5:59 PM
Sorry, but this is the first time I've seen Shiguru in the Japanese version. Since I switched near the end of Hoenn to watch it...not done collecting all the old episodes to watch yet lol. But was that his original VA?

If it was, maybe the next region could be Satoshi, Shiguru and Hikari...just a thought.

Briememory
12th August 2006, 6:38 PM
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that there ARE now suddenly contests in the Johto region. I mean it was one thing for them to be suddenly placed in the Kanto region (and I know the anime doesn't specifically go by the games), but this is just getting plain ridiculous now! IMO pokemon contests (along with double battles) should've stayed where they belonged which is in the HOENN REGION! These two aspects are a huge part of the reason as to why the Hoenn region (and the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald games) were unique from the past generations! What's next: pokemon contests in the Orange League :@!

Actually, in the episode where Brock returned Vulpix, although it was not specifically stated to be a contest, it defenetely was a gathering of coordinators, although again they weren't called that.

True, but I think it was more because she won't be seeing Drew for a while. She knows Ash is going to Shinou now, and if she hears about Contests there she'll have to make a choice.

Don't forget about Max. The little kid idolizes Ash, and he was with him in the beginning of the episode in the hot springs. Since May/Max are a set, I can't see one being here without the other.

I doubt Max wants to leave Ash, at all. He loves watching his battles and would probably love to see Ash battle Gym leaders in the Shinou region. We know May loves her little brother more than anything, and if he wants to stay with Ash, she probably will too.

[RANDOM SPECULATION] I think that May will at least start out by going to Shinou with Ash and Max (kinda hoping that Brock will stay with this Joy or somewhere else in Kanto). I agree Max wants to go with Ash, and that may be a deciding factor. Besides, other factors are that May isn't ready to travel on her own, and getting a new battling influence would require her to travel with another coordinator, and that wouldn't work out if May would constantly loose to him/her, so I would think she would start out by going to Shinou, similar to Brock in the Orange Islands.

If Gary has something to show Ash, (something that will either present a new feature of Diamond/Pearl or tie into the plot thread involving Hikari), then I would hope that May learns from Gary's battling style. After all, he was complemented heavily on the beauty and strength of his Eevee and he did create several tactics that would be considered "beautiful" by contest standards, such as turning his Magmar into a living Fire Blast. If Gary joins them in the journey (it could happen), that would be good for May.

As for Max, isn't he ten by now? [/RANDOM SPECULATION]

Satoshi
12th August 2006, 7:43 PM
But was that his original VA?
Yes, it was.

Fofa
13th August 2006, 4:55 AM
As for Max, isn't he ten by now?

I read that, in the first AG episode, he was seven. And if a year has passed between the Kanto and Hoenn GFs, he should be eight by now. (It would be nice to know the characters' birthdays, but they don't say anything! Argh!)

Musapion
13th August 2006, 10:23 AM
>>>South America doesn't exist!

What about the Miyamoto/Mew thing?
/off-topic

Yeah, I always thought he was eight here. ^^;

CyberCubed
14th August 2006, 3:37 AM
The episode was fantastic, but I wanted to see Beautifly do more! We haven't see it since Hoenn and it didn't get much battle screentime.

I hope it sticks around!

SuperShadow
14th August 2006, 4:17 AM
So Drew and everyone(but May) goes to Jhoto. The reason I don't say that she goes is that, Super pokemon contests had to be leaked for a reason, and when you think about it, With all the May leaving speculation, they leaked it, that's simple.

HoennMaster
14th August 2006, 8:49 AM
You make it sound like Drew, Harley, and Saori are a lot of people. As for Beautifly, I think it will be around for a while. When Ash and May battle in a couple episodes I'm sure she'll use it.

Torkoal Stu
14th August 2006, 2:12 PM
IMO Drew and Harley getting written out by going to Johto is rather cheap, I mean they've been in the show for a while now but aren't given a real good bye really, I mean the battle was good, Drew winning (May still hasn't beaten the ever changing size Roseila) was good, you know getting his revenge before he goes but I mean they could of at least of been given a proper good bye if this is their last episode. That might just be my opinion.

Whoot Beautifly. But what is it with Butterfree and coordinators? Saori had one, we saw one as a cameo in a contest and now Drew has one. Nothing against Butterfree though, this one seemed kind of uber.

Okay, this Nurse is starting to scare me. She goes bonkers whenever her hat is off (which we wonder what happens when she sleeps) and is a bit too hyper for my tastes. I wonder if someone accidently put expresso in her blood surrogate. [/Brave New World reference]
Ditto, this new Nurse Joy does seem a bit hyperactive compared to the others.

HoennMaster
14th August 2006, 9:35 PM
Drew's Butterfree isn't uber, were just seeing how powerful all Butterfree can be.

Cbotronv2
15th August 2006, 1:01 AM
Man I wish I could understand japanese.Anyhow great episode :)

Maddie Carr
15th August 2006, 7:57 PM
I've seen the episode. Little boring, but the battle between Drew and May was really interesting. Drew is a good battler. Now Contestshippers have a lot to talk because we could see Drew and May together. Red sun + cute couple. Nice, nice. What a pity, I can't speak japanese. I couldn't understand what they say.

Neoriceisgood
16th August 2006, 2:25 PM
It's quite obviously that Harley is going to join Ash's gang of twits, and May will become a reoccuring rival, because everyone loves Harley.

I see the messages nobody sees!

npdargy312
20th August 2006, 10:34 PM
I personally hate Harley, anyway. I hope May stays w/ Ash but i have a feeling after this episode that wont happen, i thought it was a good episode:-D

Nyami
26th August 2006, 4:44 PM
I've seen the pictures a while ago and I just saw most of this ep. It's really great. I love the Jp. voices except for Takeshi and Scott (dunno his name). The moments between Haruka and Shuu are really sweet. I'm definately a contestshipper because of this ep.

deathseer
31st August 2006, 10:27 PM
it was kinda cool that gary showed up.ash and him look so cool ever since they got older

pokemaster95
31st December 2006, 3:38 AM
Im mad at my self for missing the episode were ash and gary making each other mad because they had a flash back in this episode.

Ash finaly got idol by someone in the show a nurse joy who idols everybody well at least he is idol.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
3rd January 2007, 10:42 PM
I Cried watchin this episode :( as it felt sad and i didnt want shuu to leave but romantic between may and drew

WaterDragon trainer
27th January 2007, 3:55 PM
This episode was pretty good. It was good to see Beautifly and Skitty again as well as Beautifly’s new move, Psychic. It was also cool to see Professor Oak again as well as references from most of Ash’s pokemon, Misty, Delia, Gary and Sinnoh. It was good to see Drew with a Butterfree.

LilTorchic
27th January 2007, 4:03 PM
God, this episode rings back memories.

Kuroshi
27th January 2007, 4:07 PM
This was an exellent episode. May and Drew's battle was pretty awesome. And with the gifts from Ash's friends and family there was some good nostalgia. I think if one more famous person had show up, Nurse Joy would've exploded.

And Sukizo imatations FTW.

CyberCubed
27th January 2007, 4:15 PM
Beautifly and Skitty kept their voices, their Japanese voices, right?

Nice episode. I like the way PUSA handled all the dialouge and everything. May and Drew had some well acted lines. I like the fact that Drew was talking nicely and May's "Thank you for everything!" at the end really sounded like she meant it.

Also nice to see Ash's old Pokes with the footprints, the Misty lure, and of course Gary.

I'll find it hilarious if anyone complains about Gary's voice...haha.

PANCAKE
27th January 2007, 4:21 PM
Harley: "You have my Solemn word. Man to man. Though I use the term loosely"

Makes me wonder if it was the "Solemn word" he was reffering to or the "MAN to MAN".

Pretty solid episode in my opinion. Sinnoh has finally been introduced which is getting me geared up. A nice friendly battle between May and Drew partook. Also, this is really leaving me to believe that there will be an episode or two spin-off featuring May. Scott mentioned that her battle style was a lot like Ash's, as did she. So it feels like unfinished business if they don't elaborate on it anymore. I'd like to see her create her own.

I'm a happy camper with this one.

8/10 on the translation from me.

-PANCAKE-

Ed Phoenix
27th January 2007, 4:24 PM
Woohoo! Return of Gary's voice!

Another great episode. The battle wasn't that either (May got pwned). ;012;

The psychic, fire spining, magical leaf, gust attack was one of the coolest combos i've seen, it was way cooler than 'thunder armor'.

Kuroshi
27th January 2007, 4:26 PM
Beautifly and Skitty kept their voices, their Japanese voices, right?

Nice episode. I like the way PUSA handled all the dialouge and everything. May and Drew had some well acted lines. I like the fact that Drew was talking nicely and May's "Thank you for everything!" at the end really sounded like she meant it.

Also nice to see Ash's old Pokes with the footprints, the Misty lure, and of course Gary.

I'll find it hilarious if anyone complains about Gary's voice...haha.

Yep, Beautifly and Skitty kept thier Japanese voices.

I agree about the dialouge, May and Drew have had exellent interactions throughout this season.

LilTorchic
27th January 2007, 6:38 PM
I hate the way they prounounce Shinnoh. Lol. The last we ever saw of harley was when he dashed off. What city in Kanto are they in anyway?

old guard truthseeker
27th January 2007, 7:05 PM
I hate the way they prounounce Shinnoh. Lol. The last we ever saw of harley was when he dashed off. What city in Kanto are they in anyway?

It's Sinnoh, which would explain why you wouldn't like it if you were waiting for an 'h' in there!

chosen_one386
27th January 2007, 9:50 PM
My three points of the episode return...

1. The pronunciation of Shinnoh is finally revealed! Well, I always learn how to say new Poke names and places from the anime... I have been pronouncing it with an H for so long, it will be hard to kick the habit.

2. Harley and his... Harleyness returns once again...Very weird and creeped me out...

3. Did I mention how hot Drew was in this episode? Contestshipping all the way...

Final verdict: 10/10 VERY GOOD EPISODE! ^_^!

Darkness Angel
27th January 2007, 10:52 PM
It was nice to see Gary again after not seeing him for so long.

S.Suikun
27th January 2007, 11:26 PM
1. The pronunciation of Shinnoh is finally revealed! Well, I always learn how to say new Poke names and places from the anime... I have been pronouncing it with an H for so long, it will be hard to kick the habit.
Maybe because you've been spelling it wrong, as OGT pointed out?

Ashy Boy
27th January 2007, 11:30 PM
What did Gary say to Ash in the dub version?

Pokemon Fan
27th January 2007, 11:42 PM
Though it seemed to be just a symbolic fantasy based on what Ash thought Gary was saying in the picture he sent. Since it seemed to me that the dialogue never actually happened (I mean when could it have?), Ash was just imagining what Gary would say.

Misty lure was precious, and I didn't know till now that Tracey put his marks along with Ash's pokemon. That banner has to be one of the best ideas the anime did for this story arc, I love how it showed that Ash's pokemon are kept up to date regarding where their master is and how he's doing. It would have been fun to see just how they "insisted" to Oak that they make this banner.

Lots of great dialogue too, May and Drew seem so much more comfortable with each other now, and definately have feelings for each other. Its nice to see a pairing in the anime that is more cannon than the millions of others fans have made up.

May: "I was just thinking about you."
Drew: "Good thoughts I hope."

Harley: "You know its dangerous, two kids like yourself alone."
May: "But we weren't doing anything!"

And Jessie, really... just how hard can it be to find your pokeballs in those tiny clothes you wear?

PANCAKE
28th January 2007, 1:47 AM
That banner has to be one of the best ideas the anime did for this story arc, I love how it showed that Ash's pokemon are kept up to date regarding where their master is and how he's doing. It would have been fun to see just how they "insisted" to Oak that they make this banner.

Yeah, I thought it was a fantastic touch! I loved the Glalie face imprint. My only gripe was that God forsaken Xiaolin Showndown marathon ad. The damn thing kept popping up when I was trying to look at the banner.

(Spell check me PF) :p

CaptainBrain
28th January 2007, 1:49 AM
I don't get the title...Could someone please explain it?

It was such a wonderful episode. A fine goodbye to ContestShipping.

CyberCubed
28th January 2007, 1:51 AM
Indeed, I always thought the Pokemon poster was a nice touch.

If every episode was as well done as this one, nobody would doubt the writers talent with characterisation, dialouge, animation, and battle sequences.

When the writers find characters that play off each other well, (I LOVE the way Harley interacts with Jessie throughout all of BF), they strike gold.

Medea
28th January 2007, 2:28 AM
SPLEE!!!

-Contestshipping! So much shoved down my throat today and I'm happy!
-Harley! You know what I always say! He's just so gay!
-May vs Drew! Not one of May's best battles with Drew, but it was a good one.
-Scott's impression of Sukizo...Funny!
-Misty lure! Cute little lure, I wanted to see Misty for real dammit! Oh well.
-Gary's voice...Pretty good. Better than Professor Oak's.
-TRACEY IS MENTIONED...but not seen. Damn the friggin writers!
-Harley confronting May and Drew like that...Tee-hee, funny!
-Beautifly and Skitty returning *sigh* memories!

Dear lord, please bless us with more Harley, Drew, and May episodes/moments!

And that's all I need to comment on.

The Great Butler
28th January 2007, 2:45 AM
Meh......I was disappointed a bit after how awesome "Overjoyed!" turned out to be last week.

The battle was a letdown, I was really expecting more than a quick Drew-crushes-May-again thing.

Harley's return, however brief, did salvage parts.

Other good parts:
-Gary, with a better voice!
-The banner, which proves Bayleef, Muk and Kingler ain't dead
-Funny dialogue
-Scott posing as Sukizo
-Misty cameo of sorts

Well, at least we've got a good lineup coming. After "Pinch Healing!" is the final two Battle Pyramid episodes (if you didn't see the raws, these two are great, especially "Pace - The Final Frontier!"), Ash vs. May, then Gary, Elekible, and the end of AG. Only one more filler to go...

EDIT: Is it just me, or did Oak's eyebrows keep changing color during the banner scene? I know, it's an odd thing to notice, but this is coming from the person who caught Dr. Yung's hair changing sides AND Mirage Master leaving the castle twice.

old guard truthseeker
28th January 2007, 2:48 AM
Indeed, I always thought the Pokemon poster was a nice touch.

If every episode was as well done as this one, nobody would doubt the writers talent with characterisation, dialouge, animation, and battle sequences.

When the writers find characters that play off each other well, (I LOVE the way Harley interacts with Jessie throughout all of BF), they strike gold.

If I may, I think that there are certain episodes that inherently rich in character interaction and plot. And there are others...but PUSA is charged to do whatever it can with what it has, and I think this was a great example of the good stuff.

Lil Brother
28th January 2007, 3:09 AM
If I may, I think that there are certain episodes that inherently rich in character interaction and plot. And there are others...but PUSA is charged to do whatever it can with what it has, and I think this was a great example of the good stuff....huh?

What does the dub have anything to do with what CyberCubed said? o.O

Paradise Sky
28th January 2007, 5:10 AM
I think I heard that was the old Gary doing the voice. 0_o

ShinyManafi
28th January 2007, 5:14 AM
Forgot to post earlier...

Anyway, this was a good episode with cameos and such, Kingler, Muk, Misty..
And the mention of Sinnoh, I forgot that it was in this one.

Gary had a good voice, with the new actor?

CyberCubed
28th January 2007, 6:18 AM
^ Gary's voice is the same as always.

...huh?

What does the dub have anything to do with what CyberCubed said? o.O

I assume he means if an episode sucks, its the original Japanese writers fault, and PUSA can't really do much to make it better besides add some good dialouge.

Of course with an episode like this which was already great in Japan, PUSA could enrich it as well.

What I meant was it's a shame that Pokemon can't always be as awesome as this. We always get the filler between the good stuff.

Cobalt_Latios
28th January 2007, 7:01 AM
What a great episode. If im keeping track on this, then they remain at that same location for 5 episodes. The last time something like that has ever happened(besides the contest/leagues) is the three parter Lugia episode.

Well, Sinnoh is pronounced: See-no. Much easier to pronounce than: Psy-no.

Gary's voice was unchanged(if that one guy in "from cradle to save" had Gary's voice, then Gary would obviously keep his voice).

Team Rocket staying to watch then being blasted off by Harley was great. Though when Jessie says she's sticking with Team Rocket, it obviously means that they still are after Pikachu. Oh well, it keeps the comedy in the show.

Great Battle, although May only got a single actual hit(odd how when Beautifly and Roselia are there, May loses, when not, she wins. The writers are seriously strange).

Anyhow:

9/10

~C_L~

CyberCubed
28th January 2007, 7:03 AM
Great Battle, although May didnt get a single actual hit

Combusken got a direct Sky Uppercut on Butterfree.

uber gon
28th January 2007, 7:04 AM

Anyone find it weird that his whole body goes through a change in the end.

Mandi.
28th January 2007, 7:20 AM
I absolutely loved this episode...well DUH.

My Contestshipping mind went squealing while watching this. Drew was so sweet in this, helping May get over her loss with Saori. And I didn't really care for the battle, but it was nice to see Beautifly again, and Drew with Butterfree. And I loved seeing Skitty again <3.

Harley's lines in here were awesome. My favorite would have to be when he popped up with May and Drew and said, "Its dan-ger-ous. Two kids alone like this." And I loved how he referred him, May and Drew as a 'happy family.' x3 Very cute.

Its sad knowing that this is Drew and Harley's last episode. I'll miss those guys. Very awesome characters there.

Tbone2356
28th January 2007, 7:50 AM
Wow this is one of the best epsiodes I have seen so far.

Except for when Ash was in the springs his voice was pretty good.
(I still laughed when Ash said "Hey, proffesor, wha'da ya got in that bag?")

When Meowth said "Here comes little miss sunshine" when Harley confronted them at the judging tables I laughed.

And the only thing I find funnier than the two above is that the advertisment pop-up always comes up when Max is on the screen (you can barley see him anymore) lol.

Most of the dialouge was pretty excellent.
Especially the focous of May and Drew's (dare I say it) relationship.

I don't mind the contestshipping because it is a good paring and it is canon, but I will always prefer AshxMay.

The whole episode seemed to flow.
9/10 for the dub

R_N
28th January 2007, 5:40 PM
IT was pretty darn good.
I finally got to see it today(Tivo), and, title aside, it was "Remarkable".

Let's see here:
-Good disguise for TR(well, James at least)
-BUTTERFREE!!!!111!!1!!!!!!!!1111111shift+1lolcopte r(and with PSYCHIC)
-Pokemon Banner+Misty lure!
-Harley
-A good contest battle
-CAH-RAZY Joy returns, I'm glad they gave this one personality and kept her around for a while.
-The Gary scene
On that note, did Gary keep his voice? It's been a while & I'm not sure....
-Skitty was a nice site too. I didn't think I liked it, but it was nice seeing it. Even though May didn't use it(WHAT WAS THE POINT OF BRINGING IT OVER!).

On the negative:
-Harley(His personality is a plus & minus)

aipom_fan
29th January 2007, 4:05 AM
This episode was very good yet the title is hard to get

there some contestshipping
professor oak comes
the banner by the pokemon it was cool
the misty lure yeah
harley
skitty and beautifly is back ad beautifly learns phsyic
a battle not a good battle for may
disguse from team rocket

i give it 9.5 oout of 10

Pokemon Fan
29th January 2007, 4:51 AM
EDIT: Is it just me, or did Oak's eyebrows keep changing color during the banner scene? I know, it's an odd thing to notice, but this is coming from the person who caught Dr. Yung's hair changing sides AND Mirage Master leaving the castle twice.
The anime seems to have always had trouble with Oak's eyebrows, and hetre yet again they forgot to color them black in several scenes. I wonder what the process is, I mean Oak isn't exactly a character with hard to remember colors. Done not once but twice in the same episode it sadly looked sloppy of them in an otherwise great episode.

Cobalt_Latios
29th January 2007, 7:26 AM
Combusken got a direct Sky Uppercut on Butterfree.

Oh... forgot that one. Perhaps i should rephrase that sentence a little.

One little thing i want to point out: every time Meowth is in disguise, how is it that no one is able to figure out that it isnt who it is when Meowth's height is so damn short?!?! Jessie, maybe. James, a little. But Meowth? Like in that one episode before they get to Petalburg city where Meowth dresses up like May, how could that guy of thought he was the real thing when he is practically a third of May's actual height(maybe half, im not sure).

Anyway, i'll go and fix something tout-de-suite.

~C_L~

Hunter_RuLe
29th January 2007, 2:04 PM
This was really a cool episode, gets you ready to see a new start all over again. I like Drew and Harley becoming May's friends instead of only rivals, just the way Ash and Gary became friends after the first two leagues, its really a pity they're leaving the main show for now though :(

old guard truthseeker
29th January 2007, 2:20 PM
Oh... forgot that one. Perhaps i should rephrase that sentence a little.

One little thing i want to point out: every time Meowth is in disguise, how is it that no one is able to figure out that it isnt who it is when Meowth's height is so damn short?!?! Jessie, maybe. James, a little. But Meowth? Like in that one episode before they get to Petalburg city where Meowth dresses up like May, how could that guy of thought he was the real thing when he is practically a third of May's actual height(maybe half, im not sure).

Anyway, i'll go and fix something tout-de-suite.

~C_L~

I like the episode when Meowth and James all dressed up like Jessie and were running around yelling Ninja screams. I doubt very much Ash and buddies will ever recognize any of Team Rocket in disguise. Imagine if they did!

Hunter_RuLe
29th January 2007, 2:29 PM
I like the episode when Meowth and James all dressed up like Jessie and were running around yelling Ninja screams. I doubt very much Ash and buddies will ever recognize any of Team Rocket in disguise. Imagine if they did!

Well actually, Misty did reconise Team Rocket in 'Electric Shock Showdown'

Pokemon Fan
29th January 2007, 4:46 PM
Well in the Meowth-disguised-as-May part, the guy supposedly had not seen her since she was small, but then he was an obsessed Norman fanboy and thus his judgement is severely impaired.

As for Meowth's human disguises in general, true it is realistically odd no one tends to notice. However, there are real people in the anime world that are about Meowth's height (mostly the really old hag/man stereotypes the group run into occasionally, like Old Man Shuckle whom Brock mistook for a troll). And judging by the comments Brock's brother made about one of Meowth's human disguises (saying he looked "wierd") its possible a lot of people notice but just are too polite to say anything.

wobbanut
30th January 2007, 5:35 AM
Wow, I LOVED this episode. Contestshipping moments by the handful, Harley continues to grow on me, Team Rocket go almost a whole episode with nothing bad happening to them (darn Harley :p ) and I loved them in the judges' disguises, and we get an awesome May/Drew battle. Too bad that Drew handed May's *** to her on a stick with the battle, but at least Beautifly now knows psychic. And yay, I loved seeing Skitty again. :D I liked when May said she had another one of her Harley headaches again. LOL

Overall, 10/10.

Leona
9th February 2007, 6:44 PM
This is my most favourite episode ever!!, Harley & Drew made the most of themselves, and since it was the last episode we see them :(. i loved it so much.

Ashy Boy
24th March 2007, 11:27 AM
What did Team Rocket say when they got blasted off?

Nyami
30th March 2007, 3:32 AM
Yay! I FINALLY got to see this episode in English!

It still stands that I am a Contestshipper because of this episode. Even when I couldn't understand a word May and Drew said (except for basic things), when I first saw Rivals Forever! (I like the Jp. episode name far better than the dub one) I became one.

Harley creeps me out to a new extent after the whole scene where he uncovers TR's contest judges disguises. The way he was right up in their faces and everything he said...ew. Just ew.

I missed the second half of the battle and the first part of May and Drew's conversation during the sunset because my mom called me and asked me to start prepping things for dinner. Dammit. Of all episodes.

EDIT: I love the fangirl Nurse Joy, too. :)

Rebeccag
20th April 2007, 12:44 PM
The nure joy is brilliant I know what you mean and drews face when she says can you autograph my book is priceless. I also like Rosela coming on her own too ^_^
The poster is cool as well i like the idea of professor oak coming with things to cheer ash up

Knight_Ram
23rd June 2007, 10:33 AM
This episodes has got to of been one of my favorites in the series.

May, Drew & Harley all show up and have some battle time.

Ash learned about the Sinnoh Region, nice foreshadow of what to come.
And May then told Ash that she was going to do her own journey in Johto because her rivals were both going to Johto.

The battle between May and Drew made up for what had happened in the Quarter finals against each other. With May losing.

In conclusion, this has got to of been one of my personal favorites in the series showing the audience more information from the new region and May explaining her reasons for wanting to move on to Johto and not joining Ash to Sinnoh.

8.9/10

HelloKitty17
18th July 2007, 9:10 AM
Sweetest episode, ever. It proves that people come a long way and that in May and Drew's "relationship" they started where they could hardly stand each other, and ended on good terms. Cute. =3 I also like how Harley showed up. xD He just has to take away from the sappy moments and make them his. Gonna miss that trio <3

zeno48
18th July 2007, 9:12 AM
I agree with hello kitty 17! great episode and great closure to the best trio and contestshipping.

DRAGONITEEEEEE
18th July 2007, 10:55 AM
I think this ep is the best!!

Treecko Girl
14th August 2007, 2:45 PM
Why didn't Drew give May a rose?
Mabye 'cause he knows he's fully captured her attention and he doesn't need to give her anymore.
I dunno...

*Contestshipping 4ever!!!!*

Pikustrite
9th January 2008, 11:07 AM
Contestshippy and Harley moments xDD Harley ruining the mood for everything is just my favorite!! <33 Kewl Battle, and Harley Headaches :] Love this episode!! Some random comments from TR and Harley about May being toast is kinda funny ( My friends laughed at the "All buttered up and burned ... on both sides" part ^^;; )

RxZ
11th January 2008, 4:55 AM
I loved the battle in this episode... despite the fact that petal dance somehow pwned a firespin doesn't make sense to me. Anyway-
Harley was pretty funny in this. He's such a cool character~
and I liked the shippy moments between D & M.
:]

RxZ
11th January 2008, 4:59 AM
I loved the battle in this episode... despite the fact that petal dance somehow pwned a firespin doesn't make sense to me. Anyway-
Harley was pretty funny in this. He's such a cool character~
and I liked the shippy moments between D & M.
:]

Snoaz
25th June 2008, 2:59 PM
This is my favourite episode all time, it just got everything. The moments between May and Drew were cute, the disguise of Team Rocket was fabulous, the battle was good, and the gifts Ash got were really nice. Best of all was the post card from Shigeru! The scene where Ash thinks about Gary's reaction is really good, and Gary looks amazing as always in his lab coat ^^

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:34 PM
I am really getting sick of contests. And I hate how they act like Drew was gone for multiple seasons or something. I don't like this episode.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:29 PM
I am really getting sick of contests. And I hate how they act like Drew was gone for multiple seasons or something. I don't like this episode.

stop complaining it's better than nothing-_-
i did enjoy this episode, i want to give it a 8/10.

Littlemyuu
13th March 2009, 2:58 AM
Nice episode, im not a big fan of contests but this episode was ok

the1stpkmnfan
15th March 2009, 7:38 AM
Yeah I enjoyed this episode, and even though Misty wasnt in it, I still liked that she got mentioned. :D That was good, and we saw the same present she got for Ash in a future episode.

Such a good start at seeing the birth of May and her Rivals traveling to Johto. I'd love to see more on that in the future.

Champion Jared 14
22nd May 2009, 4:06 AM
This episode was great, and about time that May learns things for herself.....But I just think this episode's title...it's just too much....playing too many games...

cg_25
24th June 2009, 8:39 PM
This episode was a 10/10

e: This episode proves how much of a huge spoiler the theme song of this season was.

catzisconfus
15th August 2009, 3:18 PM
how everyone was together and professor oak also being there was fun to see, this was a good episode, 9/10

⊱✿RedAshEntropy
16th October 2009, 11:01 AM
I Love This Episode!!!!

Surfer_Dude
25th October 2009, 12:04 PM
This was the episode that just gave away that May was going to johto.
Since Drew AND Harley were going she had to, too!

Ash-kid
26th October 2009, 11:53 AM
Good ep, but i hated that May lost again to Drew.

Combusken-94
26th October 2009, 5:34 PM
This is one of my favourite episodes - a good close to Harley and Drew's time on the show.

Lorde
28th January 2010, 7:32 AM
Wow, Ash all by himself in a hot spring? I liked that May was preparing her Pokemon (Skitty and Beautifly) by training them a little. We hadn't seen them since Hoenn.

To be honest, I found the battle between May and Drew to be unnecessary. She already beat him before at the GF. Though I guess May's loss proves she needs to train harder if she wants to be a great Coordinator.

Watching Harley running off to Johto was sad, I don't want him to leave yet but I guess this marks the end of AG ;_; 6/10

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 1:03 AM
Very good episode, it was nice for people in May's and Ash's lives to support them, although I would have liked to see Misty and all of Ash's Pokemon I guess they couldn't do that (And Oak would have a sore back carrying all those pokeballs).

Last time we see Drew/Harley (Unless you include seeing two seconds of them during the Wallace Cup when May returned), they were the better rivals then May's (I can't comment on Ursula since I haven't seen episode, just Zoey and Kenny)

saar
27th June 2010, 11:38 AM
May battling again with her old Beautifly was great to watch, her Combusken + Beautifly were a good combination. Drew again proved he is a skilled coordinator and even after his loss to May in the Kanto Grand Festival, he managed to win. Well done on the professionalism. The main coordinator still have a lot to learn from him.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 3:04 PM
It kind of suited that Drew beat May.... so that May could look forward to more training and get rid of the hollow feeling she had

Painkiller2001
29th January 2011, 3:01 AM
Professor Oak and Ashes Oak'd Pokemon made him a banner! Awwww! That show's you how much Ashs Pokemon (even the one's that got Oak'd) care about him!

G50
27th April 2011, 3:49 AM
This episode was interesting. It was cool to see May and Drew have a rematch. It was great to find out that Beautifly learned Psychic Attack while it was in Petalburg City. I was not surprised Drew won this rematch. It was great to see Beautifly and Skitty back for this episode. The picture with all of Ash's Pokemon's prints looked so cool.

30/100

Blessed
29th January 2012, 2:14 PM
I love this episode!!! Drew & May are so cute and I LOVED how Misty sent her lure to prof oak to give to Ash hehehe.

CyberCubed
29th January 2012, 10:24 PM
I love this episode!!! Drew & May are so cute and I LOVED how Misty sent her lure to prof oak to give to Ash hehehe.

Makes you wonder why she didn't show up in person.

Vernikova
2nd October 2012, 8:13 PM
An enjoyable episode. The contest battle wasn't bad and it was nice to see Drew battle with Roselia. I still don't understand why they didn't allow him to use it the Grand Festival but whatever.

TheSirPeras
2nd November 2012, 10:55 AM
This episode was cool. I loved seeing Harley and Drew come back and to help May as it seemed. Harley was really cool in this episode, it was good seeing him be a good guy, kinda. May and Drew's battle was cool, and it was good seeing Beautifly battle again!

LolUrbad
24th June 2013, 2:59 PM
Most favourite episode, It was funny when Nurse Joy went gaga over getting autographs :p

PokemontrainerY
22nd July 2013, 1:28 PM
Meh, This episode was boring. May losing to Drew again was unnecessary, it just made me dislike him more. But I'm glad this was Drew's last episode, he was so annoying throughout the Hoenn saga. It's great that Ash got confidence sprit back.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2014, 1:15 AM
Interesting how the match between May and Drew was turned in to a full-fledged contest battle. :)