PDA

View Full Version : Originality

David's Return
14th August 2006, 5:07 AM
I think original and creative teams are a waste of time and will get you nowhere.

Discuss.

.:Suicune:.
14th August 2006, 5:09 AM
I think are the perfect way to express what kind of Pokemon Trainer you are :)

lego2will
14th August 2006, 5:10 AM
I think it's fun to think up of new combos and tactics... Sometimes, they can be stronger than reg. teams... You never know.

Lickitung
14th August 2006, 6:52 AM
You want proof that original and creative teams get you places? This is my current Ruby team(I'm just using the game to get Latios and a few other exclusives to send to my FireRed, so I figured I'd make a crazy team and see how it worked.) Keep in mind I've easily beaten five gyms with these guys.

Lickitung lv30
Spinda lv32
Seel lv15(just started training, had to get one with a modest nature first)
Solrock lv33
Ampahros lv30
Chimecho lv32

Most of these pokemon, stat-wise, blow horribly(namely my Lickitung and Spinda). But guess what? Wattson fell easily, Flannery fell easily, this might be the easiest I've ever gone through a game. And for once, it's been fun. Oh, and before Seel came I had a Linoone. And I had no problems with it.

Kyaku
14th August 2006, 7:52 PM
They aren't a waste of time. For example:

In my FR non ledgendary team, I have the following:
Charizard
Lapras
Dragonite
Crobat
Jolteon
Bayleef

That team is creative. It isn't a waste of time at all. People can use whatever Pokemon they want in a team.

-Spikey-

Nipissing
14th August 2006, 8:24 PM
I think my team is rather original too:

Dragonite
Snorlax
Raichu
Alakazam
Blastoise
Primeape

It was hard at first, but hey, it's fun.

Raito
14th August 2006, 8:26 PM
Please don't tell me you are DavidUm? PLEASE.

People can use what they want to. You have no right to say what and what not to use.

Gilgamesh
14th August 2006, 8:38 PM
I think my team is rather original too:

Dragonite
Snorlax
Raichu
Alakazam
Blastoise
Primeape

It was hard at first, but hey, it's fun.

Are you saying that a team containing Dragonite, Snorlax and Alakazam is original? >_>

Maddie Carr
14th August 2006, 8:40 PM
I don't understand you. If you don't like games, don't play them. Making Teams isn't only for fun. If you wanna have good team, you must think up of new combos and tactics. You must have good movesets + stats + EVs + natures etc. everything is important. You must think, dear, THINK! Some people create teams and they battle with each other, they wanna chack how good they are and what mistakes they do. So as you see, its not only wasting of time but a great fun and hobby for every poke fan.

Moonlight.
14th August 2006, 9:06 PM
Original teams are actually the teams I have trouble with. 'Boah and Skarmbliss are good and all, but everyone is armed ready for them. With original teams you can get people completely off-guard.

Prince_PJ
14th August 2006, 9:13 PM
Yeah, it's fun to play with the movesets told to you by smogon, and to use Dragonite/Tyranitar/Salamence/Metagross/Blissey/Milotic and whatever

(What people see in Blissey, I'll never understand)

So yeah, play with whatever team of Pokemon you like. I don't plan to be told how to play Pokemon by smogon

Saiffy
14th August 2006, 9:16 PM
I think original and creative teams are a waste of time and will get you nowhere.

Discuss.
If I wasn't so lazy, I'd teach you how to troll properly.

I can't remember when I stopped caring what other people though about my teams, hm...

Aquarelle
15th August 2006, 6:29 AM

You're joking, right?

Creative teams are fun to make, and they can make the game more enjoyable, 'cause you can use whatever pokemon you want, and give them any moveset. I am kinda picky about the pokemon I use sometimes, I don't use them if their stats are absolutely horrible, and I don't like big type weaknesses. But I usually end up using my favourites. The movesets I give them are often suggested ones off Smogon, but I tend to make changes to them to suit my team. (Like my Kingdra with HP dark, or my brick-breaking Swampert, and a mix sweeping Charizard I used to use)

An using uncreative, standard pokemon and movesets gets lame and predictable after a while, but being original with your pokemon and their moves can make the game more interesting, and can catch a lot of people off guard sometimes, too.

TeamPez2
15th August 2006, 6:38 AM
Creative teams arent a waste of time and they can actually proave to be quite fun. I myself like to keep a "commpetitive team" and a "fun team". I remeber one of the funnes times i had playing through the game was using pokemon that supposedly suck. I belive my team was Lickitung, Farfetch'd, Kingler, Xatu, Ampharos and Noespass. So no i think creative teams can be really fun and a worhtwile experience

Nyaa-Neko
15th August 2006, 7:12 AM
Since I never get to play anybody but NPCs, then I love making creative teams! ^_^;; Of course, recently, I've been trying not to use any Pokemon I've used before on my teams...so far, my Emerald team is one of my favorites, and I think it's one of my most original.
My Emerald team:
Swampert (Kai)
Seviper (Kurohebi)
Altaria (Wata)
Linoone (Araiguma)
Breloom (Kinoko)
Aggron (Koutetsu)

I dunno if y'all think it's original...but I like 'em...^_^ Seviper became one of my favorite Pokemon because of it. X3

you
15th August 2006, 12:53 PM
creative teams are so fun and often they can become surprisingly strong!!

coolcobra77
15th August 2006, 3:41 PM
Creative teams are NOT a waste of time... hell its cool when I see a friend with this out of wack team with like a Dunsparce and I'm like "that team is pretty bad..."

We battle and hell sometimes I either lose 5 to 0... or maybe win 1 to 0. Win or lose its fun to see what wierd combinations you can make.

My team: It may not be original, may have a couple of popular choices for competitive competitions... but I only choose my favorites... if they weak as hell or strong as Ubers I don't give a F*CK... as long as I like em.

My team:
Volcana/Typhlosion (How many ppl even use Typhlosion anymore?)
Bluewater/ Blastoise
Rocky2/ Steelix (named him after the Boxer)
Scizoria/ Scizor
Dragy/Dragonite
Tyranno/ Tyranitar

Some popular choices possibly: Tyranitar,Dragonite,Blastoise... but i only chose them becuase I like em... not becuase with the right moveset they could pwn an army of each other.

Gumbyx84
15th August 2006, 4:14 PM
This is exactly why I started the Underused Pokemon Project. Why is it so hard to be creative, and why do people who think like you (orignial poster) have to be jerks and tell everyone they are wrong since they dont follow your idea? GRRRR..........

Anyway, I make creative teams whenever I get bored with the current team I am working on. No they are not as strong as the smoggon teams, and probadly dont have the "best"/Smoggon recomended movesets, but they are fun to make. I have actually become a Pokemon Breeder with all the combinations that I have been using just to get that elusive move on a specific Pokemon. Its just plan fun to do stuff like that in my book.

And lastly, I really want to take on some of these competative teams that seem to be ruling the RMT fourms (which I take it you are from) with one of my new UUPP teams, and we will see what happens.

Pikachu1125
16th August 2006, 2:04 AM
Being a copycat gets you nowhere.

Devilrose
16th August 2006, 2:35 AM
You know, for a while, I was using the same pokemon as everyone else. Agiligross, Calmcune, etc.

And then I decided, just for kicks, to give Pikachu a shot. Pikachu with a Light Ball and knew Thunderbolt, Surf, and a Hidden Power I kept changing. Fourth move was mostly filler. Naturally, that wouldn't KO a lot. So I paired it up with an Espeon/Celebi (never could decide on a pokemon that seemed to be perfect for this) with Calm Mind, Endure/Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic (so its not useless if it has to fight). Use Calm Mind at least twice, Endure/Sub for Salac Boost, Baton Pass to Pikachu. At first, I thought it was crazy and was mostly just screwing around. But this set up got me a few 10th/11th turn wins and was almost unstoppable once set up.

No one really knew what hit them when the Pikachu came out. They'd figure it to be a joke, send out their Dugtrio which would switch safely into the Thunderbolt...and then get outspeeded and Surfed for the KO. Every pokemon after that was a lemming. Even took down a Rayquaza and a Deoxys-E with this thing once. Best OU counters for it were probably Blissey and Snorlax, but that depends on how many calm minds its running on.

Two CM's meant that Pikachu in question had over 1000 S.Atk if I'm not mistaken >.>
Personally, I think more people should experiment on their own instead of doing what smogon tells them to. Or at least pay attention to the 'other options' section.

Pikachu1125
16th August 2006, 6:23 AM
You know, for a while, I was using the same pokemon as everyone else. Agiligross, Calmcune, etc.

And then I decided, just for kicks, to give Pikachu a shot. Pikachu with a Light Ball and knew Thunderbolt, Surf, and a Hidden Power I kept changing. Fourth move was mostly filler. Naturally, that wouldn't KO a lot. So I paired it up with an Espeon/Celebi (never could decide on a pokemon that seemed to be perfect for this) with Calm Mind, Endure/Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic (so its not useless if it has to fight). Use Calm Mind at least twice, Endure/Sub for Salac Boost, Baton Pass to Pikachu. At first, I thought it was crazy and was mostly just screwing around. But this set up got me a few 10th/11th turn wins and was almost unstoppable once set up.

No one really knew what hit them when the Pikachu came out. They'd figure it to be a joke, send out their Dugtrio which would switch safely into the Thunderbolt...and then get outspeeded and Surfed for the KO. Every pokemon after that was a lemming. Even took down a Rayquaza and a Deoxys-E with this thing once. Best OU counters for it were probably Blissey and Snorlax, but that depends on how many calm minds its running on.

Two CM's meant that Pikachu in question had over 1000 S.Atk if I'm not mistaken >.>
Personally, I think more people should experiment on their own instead of doing what smogon tells them to. Or at least pay attention to the 'other options' section.

I like it, another example of a person realizing Pikachu is good. :)

btw except t-bolt and surf, I use attract and protect, heck I got a female pika just for attract since people mostly uses male pkmns.

slivling
11th November 2006, 7:01 PM
there is a diffrence between creative teams and teams that are just plain dumb.

i use my defensive salamence with great pride. you might say salamence is unoriginal, but i got a different moveset that works pretty good.

on the other hand, no level of creativity will make some pokemon or moves usable for battle.

this is the point made by smogon. as much as many would hate to admit it, smogon is pretty much the competitive battling bible. creativity is fine, just dont do something stupid and expect to win. or worseyet, dont do something stupid, expect to win, lose, then insult your foe because he didint do something stupid.

im going to enjoy my slightly less "original" movesets more then you could ever enjoy your special sweeping beedrill that is oh so "creative".

creativity was when a person invented the gun, not when somebody thought using a knife in a gunfightwas more original.

innovation works forwards not backwords. this is why true creativity is your ability to define what will be called standard tommarow. look at the discovery of boah, now THAT was creative.

ShinyManafi
11th November 2006, 7:04 PM
Of course you need teams with originality, think of how boring it would be if everyone used ubers teams composed of Mewtwo, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, Lugia -_-

slivling
11th November 2006, 7:09 PM
Of course you need teams with originality, think of how boring it would be if everyone used ubers teams composed of Mewtwo, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, Lugia -_-

pokemon like that are not used, not because of the fact that they are "uncreative", but because they destroy compettitve battling. creativity has nothing to do with it, those pokemon are just flat out banned.

ShinyManafi
11th November 2006, 7:13 PM
It's still boring to see them -_-, there's no sense of originality in relying on ubers

Mono789
12th November 2006, 2:18 AM
The point of creativity is to think out of the box, but still have a moveset that works with the Pokémon. My first level 100's weren't original, except maybe for Espeon, but that's beyond the point. I really would like to train something to lv 100 that is out of the ordinary.

trouble440
12th November 2006, 4:35 AM
my Ruby team is pretty creative.
it is
manetric
torkoal
ampharos
chimecho
abra
crawdaunt
EDIT: new rank!11111oneone11

Goldliop
13th November 2006, 4:18 AM
lol
im starting a ruby version with:
treecko
larvitar
Bagon
Charmander
Pichu
Heracross...
and im sure it's gonna be useful:)

Absol!
13th November 2006, 7:13 AM
Volcana/Typhlosion (How many ppl even use Typhlosion anymore?)

I do xD I Love 'Phlosion. He's one of my favourite Pokemon.

My Emerald team isn't very original at the moment... but I do like using 'wierd' and UU Pokemon, like Beautifly.