PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist Manga

SamsGFX
15th August 2006, 10:04 PM
I don't know if anyones read and watched FMA, but have you noticed that many things are different? Like the battle on the train, in the Anime [episode 5 methinks], Ed isn't a State Alchemist when that happens. However, in the manga he is.
Does anyone know why bits were changed for the Anime? [I assume the anime came out after the manga, correct me if im wrong]

Edit: LIKE ZOMG! NEW RANK CHANGE!!!!!!111oneone

lmao, tis my n00b side coming out there

BattleFranky~40
15th August 2006, 10:21 PM
The anime always had small things to set it apart from the manga at first. This includes things such as Barry the Chopper and Tucker. Then, of course, the anime went on a completely different route.

Penguin
15th August 2006, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know why bits were changed for the Anime? [I assume the anime came out after the manga, correct me if im wrong]

Arakawa, the mangaka, directly talked to the anime production staff, and she told them that she wanted the anime ending to be different from the manga ending. She believes that watching the show and reading the manga should be two different, yet enjoyable experiences.

That Scary Clefairy
15th August 2006, 11:36 PM
Arakawa, the mangaka, directly talked to the anime production staff, and she told them that she wanted the anime ending to be different from the manga ending. She believes that watching the show and reading the manga should be two different, yet enjoyable experiences.

which is what I like about the the two.

kawaii*ninja
19th August 2006, 8:41 PM
I have three manga's of fullmetal Alchemast! I think one of the saddest ones i have read, is when Alfonse runs away!

BattleFranky~40
19th August 2006, 9:56 PM
OMG I haves 14 manga's of fullmetal Alchemast!11

And the saddest part would have to be the fact that they made Sloth a mentally challenged giant slob who works in a mine

Catalyst
20th August 2006, 1:36 AM
OMG I haves 14 manga's of fullmetal Alchemast!11

And the saddest part would have to be the fact that they made Sloth a mentally challenged giant slob who works in a mine

I have all of the FMA manga released by Viz. >_>

I find Sloth LOL-worthy, he needs some real appearence, I want to some he owning some people.

SamsGFX
20th August 2006, 6:45 PM
And some of the Homunculi in the Manga are named differnt in the Anime.
For example, Sloth in the manga is the wierd dude in the mine, but Sloth in the Anime is their mother.
And Homunculi are made different in the Anime then the Manga. It was wierd going straight from the Anime to the Manga

BattleFranky~40
20th August 2006, 6:56 PM
Indeed. The Fuhrer (who kicks much more *** in the manga. Tropical Shirt FTMFW) is Wrath instead of Pride, so thankfully we don't get that annoying **** Anime Wrath; we don't know who the hell Pride is, Lust acted like a complete **** in the manga; Gluttony's jaw comes off and becomes a giant black hole of no escape; Envy's true form is a giant chimera thing instead of a gimpy looking guy; ect.

Catalyst
21st August 2006, 3:02 AM
Manga Envy's true form kicks ***. Manga Wrath is like... god.

That Scary Clefairy
21st August 2006, 6:24 AM
Indeed. The Fuhrer (who kicks much more *** in the manga. Tropical Shirt FTMFW) is Wrath instead of Pride, so thankfully we don't get that annoying **** Anime Wrath; we don't know who the hell Pride is, Lust acted like a complete **** in the manga; Gluttony's jaw comes off and becomes a giant black hole of no escape; Envy's true form is a giant chimera thing instead of a gimpy looking guy; ect.

Envy's true form in the anime is a Serpent of some sort (see movie)

BattleFranky~40
21st August 2006, 6:35 AM
Envy's true form in the anime is a Serpent of some sort (see movie)
Oh right, forgot about that. My mistake.

Catalyst
21st August 2006, 7:50 AM
But yeah, in the movie his true form is the Serpent of the Ouroborus

SamsGFX
21st August 2006, 10:15 AM
Manga Envy's true form kicks ***. Manga Wrath is like... god.

Manga Wratch is cool yeah, but Anime Wrath isn't. The only good thing I can see is when he:
Sacrificed himself in the Movie to help Al

BattleFranky~40
21st August 2006, 9:58 PM
Manga Wratch is cool yeah, but Anime Wrath isn't. The only good thing I can see is when he:
Sacrificed himself in the Movie to help Al
I would have prefered that he just died before the series was over. No need to keep him alive.

HK
23rd August 2006, 9:33 PM
For those who don't know (which might just be everyone but me and TSC, but I've been wrong before), Viz did actually alter some artwork in volume eight of their editions of the manga. For what it specifically was...

...check out the slab of rock that Greed is hung from after he is captured. In the original it is something akin to a cross, but Viz changed it to resemble a rough, mundane boulder.

What really irks me about this is that they didn't put any information about the artwork being different from the original Japanese editions -- false advertising, which is truly criminal.

"Thought I'd just stir up the pot here."

SuperShadow the Hedgehog
24th August 2006, 12:28 AM
The manga is pretty good. Just got volume 2 (the store didn't have volume 1) and I've completely read through it all today.

BattleFranky~40
24th August 2006, 12:32 AM
The manga is pretty good. Just got volume 2 (the store didn't have volume 1) and I've completely read through it all today.Wait until it actually gets good. You'll be amazed.

AJ kinova the psychic
26th August 2006, 5:46 AM
I'm not big on the manga as much as I am with the anime

BattleFranky~40
26th August 2006, 5:48 AM
I'm not big on the manga as much as I am with the anime
Are you joking? Sure, the anime may have been better when they were relatively the same, but then they split off, and the manga became immensly better, especially when compared to mediocre last 1/3 of the show and the horrid ending.

Chris
26th August 2006, 6:21 AM
For those who don't know (which might just be everyone but me and TSC, but I've been wrong before), Viz did actually alter some artwork in volume eight of their editions of the manga. For what it specifically was...

...check out the slab of rock that Greed is hung from after he is captured. In the original it is something akin to a cross, but Viz changed it to resemble a rough, mundane boulder.

What really irks me about this is that they didn't put any information about the artwork being different from the original Japanese editions -- false advertising, which is truly criminal.

"Thought I'd just stir up the pot here."

I never noticed that 'til you brought it up. o_O That's actually the first artwork edit to the manga. Geez, Viz. You kept everything else intact, including Barry cutting someone right in between their head. Even Dragon Ball kept the fact that Upa hold himself out in the shape of a cross. What made this so different?

HK
28th August 2006, 11:30 PM
I never noticed that 'til you brought it up. o_O That's actually the first artwork edit to the manga. Geez, Viz. You kept everything else intact, including Barry cutting someone right in between their head. Even Dragon Ball kept the fact that Upa hold himself out in the shape of a cross. What made this so different?

Because it has probably the most recognizable religious overtone in the United States (which is bull considering crucification has been around way before Jesus was supposedly alive and then killed), Viz believed that they should "play it safe" and change it to look like a hideously drawn rock, because obviously Greed talking about power and sex is nowhere near as awful as there being something that resembles a cross... Ugh...

Of course, Fullmetal Alchemist is part of Viz's mainstream titles, and when it comes to consistancy... you'll find it to be lacking in some areas.

BattleFranky~40
29th August 2006, 2:44 AM
Ishval/Ishbal
Jean/Jan
Ling/Lin
Riza Hawkeye/Liza Hawkeye
Lior/Riole

And soon Lan Fan and Foo will most likely become Ran Fan and Fu

That Scary Clefairy
29th August 2006, 2:47 AM
Ishval/Ishbal
Jean/Jan
Ling/Lin
Riza Hawkeye/Liza Hawkeye
Lior/Riole

these aren't "incorrect" either as in japan, b/v and r/l are interchangible

BattleFranky~40
29th August 2006, 2:49 AM
these aren't "incorrect" either as in japan, b/v and r/l are interchangible
It's Lior, Riza, and Ishval in the anime. Why can't Viz understand that they are ENGLISH names and are meant to be the way they are?

That Scary Clefairy
30th August 2006, 1:03 AM
It's Lior, Riza, and Ishval in the anime. Why can't Viz understand that they are ENGLISH names and are meant to be the way they are?

I'm just telling you that they aren't exactly incorrect. Don't ask me why they keep the other equilvilent. EE might know that answer as he knows more about FMA anime than I do.

HK
1st September 2006, 10:57 PM
Lior/Riole

... "Riole"? HellKorn doesn't have a memory of such a term.

Unless they change it to something else later, just by looking at my copy of volume nine Viz seems to keep it as Lan Fan and Foo.

Can't really think of anything that Viz would find "offensive" in volume nine, so I'm just going to assume that the only edit that they made was to that rock that Greed was hung from in volume eight... which still makes me ask "Why?" repeatedly.

Rufinito18
3rd September 2006, 9:29 PM
I just got the first two books. Kinda follows the anime

And I'm happy anime and manga are 2 different things.

Elessar Cuthalion
4th September 2006, 11:52 PM
Hmmm... Has anyone read Volume 9 yet? I just got it today. Woah!

I can't believe Mustang killed Ross. Oh my God. That was crazy. I think 8 and 9 together were the huge anime-manga breakoff points. I do wonder whether everyone actually believes that Ross killed Hughes... Riza better be alright, or I'm gonna stop reading the manga or something.

Crazy.

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah.... keep believing that.

The Red Butterfly
6th September 2006, 1:54 AM
Alright, well since I really couldn't follow the anime since I saw a later episodes rather than the first few XP. I decided I should read the manga instead (so it could make some sense XD), I'm still reading volume one and it's really good!

Also I was wondering how many volumes are out so far?

BattleFranky~40
6th September 2006, 2:10 AM
Alright, well since I really couldn't follow the anime since I saw a later episodes rather than the first few XP. I decided I should read the manga instead (so it could make some sense XD), I'm still reading volume one and it's really good!

Also I was wondering how many volumes are out so far?
14 volumes in Japan, with 9 released in America.