PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon that made the jump, but shouldn't have.

The Benmeister
19th August 2006, 11:22 AM
What Pokemon that existed within the first and second generation of games shouldn't have been added into the Hoenn Dex lineup, but for some reason did?

I'll have to go with Jigglypuff's line, Psyduck's line and Corsola. Jigglypuff because it mainly got added through mascot reasons and it's rarely found and used, Psyduck for the same reason, and Corsola because...well, there just seemed like no point since Relicanth already made the Rock/Water slot.

So, which Pokemon do you think shouldn't have 'made the jump'?

rubberduck
19th August 2006, 11:41 AM
i have a problem with the pikachu line, rhyhorn line, and girafarig.

Pikachu line is just mascot, rhyhorn replaced with aron line, and girafarig just annoy me.

cool, first post

Crystal Mewtwo
19th August 2006, 1:10 PM
I would go with Zubats and Tentacools. They are everywhere and are trully annoying. I know, some people like Crobat and they use it but I feel mad when I meet Zubat on every step. Geodude line isn't needed too because in R/S/E we have other rock type pokemon.
Another pokemon is Jigglypuff. I have played a lot but I've never found this dude. I don't know where it is and why it is.

BasiltheDragon
19th August 2006, 2:45 PM
The Pikachu line.

Pika needs to die, painfully and slowly.

CaptainBrain
19th August 2006, 3:09 PM
I didn't think that Psyduck should have made it. I just don't like him.

I like Zubat. I don't get why everyone hates him. Crobat is the coolest.

4 8 15 16 23 42
19th August 2006, 3:15 PM
I don't think Corsola should have, or the Horsea line, espesially since in Fr/Lg they are quite common but in Hoenn they are really rare. I hate the Geodude line anyway, I don't think they should be in Hoenn.

Vycksta
19th August 2006, 3:15 PM
The Pikachu line like it or not will not be going... simply put, Pikachu is the Pokemon mascot. If any other Pokemon was Pokemon's mascot it would be the same situation.

On topic... Tentacool I guess. Not all the waters of the world are filled with jellyfish. :/

Xanatos
19th August 2006, 3:27 PM
Zubat,Tenticool,Magickarp

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
19th August 2006, 3:27 PM
Goldeen didn't make a lot of sense to me when we already had Magikarp and Feebas.

Machop just seemed really out of place in Hoenn =/ Same with Sandshrew, though I supposed they needed some fitting Pokémon for the Desert that weren't Hoennians.

Chinchou is sorta the same as Slugma, not much of a point, but obviously good to emphasize the new area(Underwater, in this case).

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Epyon
19th August 2006, 3:36 PM
Corsola fits because of the underwater reefs and grass.

Imo, Machop doesnt fit anywhere in the wild... not even Kanto.

Theneedleman
19th August 2006, 3:41 PM
Yeah I don't like the Pika line at all, it shouldn't have been in there. Tenticool either since we have Wingull in the sea...

Mudkip3
19th August 2006, 5:46 PM
Since I see the Oddish line everywhere I go on land and the Tentacool line everywhere I go on the sea, I'd say those two.

PolarisJunkie
19th August 2006, 6:13 PM
Machop and Pikachu's lines wholeheartedly. Pikachu mainly for the I'm sick of it factor and Machop in the...Why? factor.

They took a huge risk in Ruby/Sapphire getting rid of the majority of the Pokemon we all know and used. I don't think they gave us the best except for maybe Marill. ^_^ Can't help but loving the Aqua Rabbit.

I mean c'mon...NOSEPASS beat out Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur in appearing in a game? That's just wrong. ><

♪Crystal Mew♪
19th August 2006, 6:16 PM
koffing and grimer were a bit awkward in fiery path or whatever it is...

Pelipy
19th August 2006, 6:37 PM
The Tentacool, Oddish and Geodude line. 3 evo lines that appear in every game. 3 evo lines that are as useless as an inflatable dart board. Seriously, I know these Pokémon will appear in Diamond and Pearl, and nobody's gonna want them. I'm also surprised that the Voltorb line made it through.

Johto
19th August 2006, 7:00 PM
The Tentacool, Oddish and Geodude line. 3 evo lines that appear in every game. 3 evo lines that are as useless as an inflatable dart board. Seriously, I know these Pokémon will appear in Diamond and Pearl, and nobody's gonna want them. I'm also surprised that the Voltorb line made it through.

o.o The Oddish and Geodude line is very strong. Oddish is a very good grass type to have and its evolutions...you can even breed it Razor Leaf and it will eventually learn Magical Leaf if you evolve your Gloom to a Bellossom. And Geodude has helped me in alot of situations. You probably haven't even given these guys a chance. Tentacool is also cool, ^^. ;043;

Yukikaze
19th August 2006, 7:09 PM
Tentacool. You can't get far surfing without having one popping up. Would've been awesome if Eevee was in R/S.

Imaketoilets
19th August 2006, 7:25 PM
I would go with Zubats and Tentacools. They are everywhere and are trully annoying. I know, some people like Crobat and they use it but I feel mad when I meet Zubat on every step. Geodude line isn't needed too because in R/S/E we have other rock type pokemon.
Another pokemon is Jigglypuff. I have played a lot but I've never found this dude. I don't know where it is and why it is.

Zubat and Golbat are good for Ev training :)

Kosmo
19th August 2006, 8:29 PM
None of them should have been left out. The Kanto and Johto pokemon greatly improved the third generation.

chrombot
19th August 2006, 10:35 PM

Might as well hate tentacool and zubat, other than wingull and say makuhita.

Geodude is one I'll fight and say, I am glad they left it. It's in one of the smallest breeding pools.

slugma was an odd choice for a fire type to bring over. Would have been ncie to get growlithe, , ponyta or even a chance at an eevee.

Aquarelle
19th August 2006, 10:40 PM
None of them should have been left out. The Kanto and Johto pokemon greatly improved the third generation.

But if they made all pokemon available in one game, then there would've been no point in Colosseum, FR/LG, or XD! And Nintendo wants to make money, so it wouldn't make much sense if they made the game like that.

Anyway, Geodude's line shouldn't have made it IMO, as I find them boring, and the Rhyhorn line is better. :p

Goldeen's line doesn't seem to fit either, Hoenn brought in a bunch of new water/fish pokemon, the majority of which are much better than Goldeen and Seaking.

I don't see why Voltorb and Electrode should've made it, they were pretty p*ss poor electrics. I guess they included them because of the shortage of electric pokes, but why couldn't they put in better electrics, like the Elekid line or Jolteon? In that case, the whole Eevee line should have been included.
And I'm getting sick of PIKACHU, I don't care if it's the mascot pokemon, I hoped that it didn't make it to Hoenn, but the stupid yellow rat and its evos did! Come on, why couldn't they put the Mareep line in? Ampharos is cooler than Raichu...

Why was Vulpix and Nineales in this game? Where's Growlithe? Arcanine? Magmar? Why did they only include the foxes with multiple tails? I like Vulpix and Ninetales, but I think they should've included at least one more R/B/Y fire type. They could've put in the Growlithe line over the Slugma one, and made it version exclusive again, or they just could've added Magmar or even Ponyta to make it better! Seriously, Slugma sucks and so does Magcargo. >.>

Also, I've found Abra and evos to be a tad useless, like what's the point in them if we have the Ralts line now? Alakazam might have higher special attack and speed than Gardevoir, but Gard has much better HP and defenses, so at least it can actually take a hit! And with the Ralts line, it's easy to fully evolve them, as Ralts evolves at 20, and Kirlia at 30. Some people don't have the ability to trade, so they're unable to obtain Alakazam leagally.

Jolteonmaster2
19th August 2006, 11:26 PM
Crobat is good, but Zubat should die a slow death.

The Dean of Suds
20th August 2006, 3:59 AM
pikachu and abra are rather worthless, overall.
Over and out,;198;

Munchlax Master
20th August 2006, 4:02 AM
zubat; its the most anoying thing in the world *grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

mewfanforlife
20th August 2006, 4:40 AM
I don't think Girafarig, Rhyhorn or Goldeen should have made the jump.

Vaporeon8
20th August 2006, 6:16 AM
The only ones I approve of making the jump were:
Staryu/Starmie - I love Starmie.
Phanpy/Donphan
Chinchou/Lanturn
Pinsir and Heracross
Skarmory
Tentacool/Tentacruel - For my first 280 hours of playing Sapphire I hated Tentacool in the game. That changed when I caught my shiny Tentacool (so I'm kind of biased).
Marill/Azumarill and Wobbuffet - Only because they had pre-evolutions that were in the game.

I don't get why they put them in the game:
Psyduck/Golduck
Corsola
Slugma/Magcargo
Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
Machop/Machamp
Rhyhorn/Rhydon
Girafarig
Natu/Xatu
Goldeen/Seaking
Vulpix/Ninetales
Doduo/Dodrio
Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra

Only used as "fillers" for missing types:
Grimer/Muk
Koffing/Weezing
Sandshrew/Sandslash
Voltorb/Electrode
Magnemite/Magneton
Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume/Bellossom

They're always going to be there:
Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Magikarp/Gyarados
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat

Rukaria
20th August 2006, 8:27 AM
zubat line needs to die and that even includes crobat
this is why crobut knows bad moves and has bad stats apart from that it gets he thumbs up from me
zubat is in d/p i saw it in one of the d/p videos...noooooooooooooooooo!!!

Lickitung
20th August 2006, 9:10 AM
To those complaining about tentacool: please try using a tentacruel. It is in every sense awesome and has two very useful traits. One of the best water types in the game.

As for me, I'd probably go with the goldeen line. Seaking has never been usful and there are much better water types to choose from.

DGCatAniSiri
20th August 2006, 9:16 AM
I know he's the mascot, but I FRIGGIN' HATE THAT GORRAM PIKACHU! I box it as soon as I can and forget it exists.

Crobat is cool, though I don't really use it, but if it meant getting rid of Zubat, I'd be the first (and not the last) to kick him out.

Why did Vulpix get brought to Hoenn but not Growlithe? Those two have always been taking the other's spots in the games. (Not to mention, Growlithe is, admittedly, my favorite. :D)

The Horsea line also wasn't a line I'm enthusiastic about, but Dragon has little representation in any game, so I'll grant it.

Doduo/Dodrio seemed out of place in Hoenn for me.

Ridi
20th August 2006, 3:25 PM
I don't see why Voltorb and Electrode should've made it, they were pretty p*ss poor electrics. I guess they included them because of the shortage of electric pokes, but why couldn't they put in better electrics, like the Elekid line or Jolteon?.
WELL, there's a power plant in Hoenn, and power plants aren't the same without the cartoony bomb balls. I don't think it would have made much sense for Jolteon to be there as Eevee is considered a very rare Pokemon. As for Electabuzz and company... they probably didn't make it because they're much harder to find in the wild than Magnemite and Voltorb.

I think mediocre stats is a pretty stupid reason to leave a Pokemon behind.

Munchlax Master
20th August 2006, 3:28 PM
know when d/p comes out, evry zubat, unless its shiny, im going to kill it!!!
raaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwrrrrrr

Frost Nova
20th August 2006, 3:57 PM
The Slugma line. Gotta love that 4x weakness to water and ground. Instead of having Growlithe or Magmar we're stuck with a superheated lump of snot.

flannery lover
20th August 2006, 8:00 PM
i hate zubat

Crystal Mewtwo
20th August 2006, 9:06 PM
I don't get why they put them in the game:
Psyduck/Golduck
Corsola
Slugma/Magcargo
Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
Machop/Machamp
Rhyhorn/Rhydon
Girafarig
Natu/Xatu
Goldeen/Seaking
Vulpix/Ninetales
Doduo/Dodrio
Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
1. Ninetales and Vulpix are very good fire-type pokemon. I would ask them; they did they put Slugma, but Vulpix is okay.
2. Dodrio is a very good flying pokemon. Better than Swellow or Pidgeot
3. Seadra is the best dragon-pokemon^^

They're always going to be there:
Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Magikarp/Gyarados
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
You forgot about Tentacool/Tentacruel :)

MADHATTER
20th August 2006, 9:06 PM
I like the horsea line. Easy to train, and Kingdra is flipping awesome.

Anyway, I approve of:
-Donphan line
-Zubat line
-Oddish line
-Ryhorn line

I don't approve of:
-Xatu/Natu
-Girafarig
-Magikarp (Feebas, anyone?)
-Vulpix/Ninetales (NO defense whatsoever. Arcanine is WAY better)
-Geodude/Graveler/Golem

Yeah...

Pottsie
20th August 2006, 9:28 PM
I approve:

- Pikachu line
- Magikarp line
- Geodude line
- Oddish line
- Zubat line

I don't approve:

- Tentacool line
- Vulpix line
- Slugma line
- Voltorb line
- Most of the Water Pokémon

The others are okay.

Skinwalker
20th August 2006, 10:35 PM
Pikachu has to be there just because it's THE pokemon, and the kiddies need it.

Zubats are extremely annoying to encounter over and over in caves, but it's become a bit of a tradition to have them whenever there's a big cave.

Geodude line I don't like. Geodude was cool, graveler is ridiculously ugly, and for golem, well I just don't like trade evo pokemon.

Golduck? Golduck is great, and its trait is useful and more or less exclusive.

Tentacools? Again sometimes they get annoying in the wild, but it's a decent pokemon.

Goldeen... Yeah. Since RBY it's just been waiting for years for D/P and physical waterfall.

Vulpix is one of the cutest.

Magikarp is another tradition and Gyarados is a popular pokemon.

Rhydon is cool.

Vycksta
20th August 2006, 10:57 PM
Crobat is good, but Zubat should die a slow death.But without Zubat...

2Percent Miltank
21st August 2006, 12:45 AM
Marill. <__< I understand it was because of Azurill, but I just can't stand Marill for some reason. D:

Then there's Tentacool. I have only used a Tentacool once and that was a long time ago in my Silver Version. Since then I haven't cared for one and it's simply a matter of personal distaste.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
21st August 2006, 2:56 AM
Punisher speaks the truth, Tentacruel is a bloody amazing Water Type. Try actually raising a Tentacool next time, imo.

lucario rox, Crobat has great Stats and a pretty good movepool. It's a very good Pokémon, in my eyes =/

I'd say Vulpix if it weren't for the fact that Hoenn had few Fire Types. And even so, Ninetales is one of the worst Fire Types; surely we could've have Magmar or Arcanine?

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Walking Contradiction
22nd August 2006, 7:52 AM
Why was Wobbuffet in R/S/E?
Now Wobba is too good 'Counter-it-all' guy with Encore from Wynaut.
Rhyhorn line makes no sense either.

Hsiao-Chai
22nd August 2006, 8:13 AM
Zubat and Golbat. Mainly because they're so annoying.

JONNO.FRESH
22nd August 2006, 8:39 AM
Why was Wobbuffet in R/S/E?

Wobba was in there for Wynat(sp)
Anyway Goldeen and Horsea i didnt think needed to be in there as they where outclassed by other water pokemon like Tentacruel and milotic

Deokishisu
22nd August 2006, 11:30 PM
magikarp, goldeen, and slugma.

Feebas should have been as common as magikarp.

Goldeen is outclassed and can easily be replaced by 3rd gen water pokemon.

There was no point in Slugma being there at all. Except maybe for flame body, which I doubt Nintendo thought about in R/S.

Jiggy37
23rd August 2006, 1:39 AM
Approve:

Gyarados line - Showcases Intimidate and Dragon Dance, two important new features of the third gen.

Azumarill line - Gained a pre-evolution, and showcased a pretty sick trait. (Huge Power, of course, not Thick Fat... although 4x resistance to both Fire and Ice can be pretty decent on its own terms, it's certainly no Huge Power.)

Golem line - Others do have Rock Head and Sturdy, but there had to be something or other that kept the "trade to evolve" mechanic with no items attached, and Golem is more believable than Alakazam or Machamp since rocks are everywhere in the world. Does get Rock Blast, too.

Crobat line - I forgive it because it has Crobat, basically. And it's a unique type combo.

Muk line - Stench and Sticky Hold are good abilities to display. Plus, it's slime and slime, like rocks, is everywhere.

Weezing line - Skirts in due to Levitate.

Sandslash line - Mascot value, and they had to fill in the desert somehow.

Skarmory - Spikes and Metal Sound work.

Wigglytuff line - My name comes from this line. I'm biased. Plus, mascot value.

Starmie line - Illuminate, Natural Cure, Camouflage, Cosmic Power, general coolness and popularity--this is one of the most justified inclusions of all due to how much it changed.

Ninetales line - A drastically-changed Pokemon from before due to Will-O-Wisp, Imprison, and Grudge. It was finally set apart from its rival, Arcanine, more distinctly, and it's also a well-liked Pokemon.

Raichu line - Because I know it has to be in there for the series to be successful.

Wobbuffet line - Gained a pre-evolution.

Donphan line - Mascot value, even though it offers nothing new.

Pinsir - Revenge, Brick Break, the only good pure Bug type, and the big one: Hyper Cutter to offset Intimidate.

Heracross - Good Guts user, the only good Swarm user, and Brick Break without needing the TM. And it's a unique type combo, as well as being a Pokemon that makes sense to live in numerous regions.

Rhydon line - Geographically, it makes no sense whatsoever, and it's overshadowing the Aggron line because being a physical wall with 4x weaknesses to Water and Grass is far superior to being a physical wall with 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground... But in spite of all that, Lightningrod needed to be there, Rock Head makes more sense for this than most, and there's still Rock Blast and Megahorn as moves.

Lanturn line - Unique type and a showcase for Volt Absorb, providing the new Boltbeam counter.

Disapprove:

Alakazam line - There are enough Psychic types, and Abra seems like a Pokemon that would be very difficult to find anywhere in the world because of its teleporting abilities. I don't buy that they live in every single region.

Seaking line - It's weak and it has no new attacks, and its trait is shared by a ton of Water-types. A redundant Pokemon.

Tentacruel line - I love them as fighters, but wow had they gotten old by then. And it's not even one of those situations like Golem where, yeah, it makes sense that they're everywhere in the Pokemon world. Rocks are everywhere; jellyfish aren't.

Machamp line - No new attacks, and a great trait but one that's seen on other Pokemon. I don't even understand why this line of Pokemon lives in the wild anyway; wouldn't they hang around urban areas?

Oddish line - Oddish is cute, yet the others are ugly--so, unlike Raichu and so on, I can't even say this is okay because of mascot value.

Dodrio line - Great fighter, but I have no idea why it's in this game. It's based on an ostrich, which isn't exactly a common animal, and it doesn't contribute anything new to the series.

Magcargo line - Almost nobody likes this Pokemon aesthetically, it's horrible in battle, it didn't contribute any new moves, and the abilities sucked until Emerald, where they're still only good for breeding and could have been done with Numel anyway.

Golduck line - Cloud Nine can't save it.

Xatu - Nothing new, really, and it's among the most ignored Pokemon ever.

Girafarig - See Xatu.

Kingdra line - Dragon Dance alone isn't enough, primarily because unlike Gyarados, it can't actually do anything with physical attacks.

Accept (because by now I've realized they're never going away):

Magneton line - I guess they need something generic to stick in the power plant areas.

Electrode line - See Magneton.

AJ kinova the psychic
23rd August 2006, 1:55 AM
Tentacool,zubat,oddish must die painfully,slowly and grossly

folgore
25th August 2006, 4:44 PM
Tentacool, Koffing, Grimer, and Zubat, mainly for annoyance purposes. I like Tentacruel, Weezing, Muk, and Crobat though, so I guess I really just like is as is, except for tentacool and zubat should be less common.

Pure
25th August 2006, 5:23 PM
Disapprove:

Alakazam line - There are enough Psychic types, and Abra seems like a Pokemon that would be very difficult to find anywhere in the world because of its teleporting abilities. I don't buy that they live in every single region.

Tentacruel line - I love them as fighters, but wow had they gotten old by then. And it's not even one of those situations like Golem where, yeah, it makes sense that they're everywhere in the Pokemon world. Rocks are everywhere; jellyfish aren't.

Alakazam: You don't buy it? How can you not buy it? They've been in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. The Abra line was the FIRST Psychic line, so why do you say there are ENOUGH? I could just as easily say that to Spoink! I don't even understand your point here. It was difficult to find, yes, but Abra is a humanlike pokemon who lives in or near cities. This includes Hoenn. It's not like they got old, and they are powerful as hell. (well, Alakazam at least, and Kadabra's no pushover either) If you had given a real reason why he shouldn't be in hoenn, this wouldn't be here.

Tentacruel: As many have said, Tentacruel's an awesome battler. Jellyfish are damn common in most parts of the world. Plus, Kanto, Johto and Hoenn aren't the whole world. You see the same or similar fish in nearby places, and Hoenn isn't TOO far away from Kanto or Johto. It makes sense that the Tentacool species would migrate to Hoenn as well. I guess Gyarados is useless, too.

As for me,

Accept: All but the not accepted.

Do not accept:

Rhydon: There is a pokemon incredibly similar to and more powerful than Rhydon. It's Aggron. Aggron is Hoenn's Rhydon, so why are there two pokemon fulfilling the same purpose, while this one is the weaker of the two?

Additionally

Alakazam should not be in Hoenn because of the same reason as Rhydon. Gardevoir fulfills the Alakazam purpose, even though they differ slightly and can be used for different purposes in some situations.

-SI-
25th August 2006, 5:48 PM
I don't see Koffing, Rhyhorn, or Psyduck lines.

In face, I think that Kanto Pokemon should stay in Kanto, and Hoenn Pokemon should be the only ones available in Hoenn.

Goodbreath
25th August 2006, 6:20 PM
Swap out the vulpix line for the growlite line and i am happy.

I aprove for the rest and about Rhydon he only appears in the Safari zone (exotic pokemon annyone?) So its a great choice of them putting him there...

DarkPyro
25th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Pikachu line. I know it's a mascot, i know it's popular, but I hate the yellow rat! Can't go through one game without seeing it. And it's not even in teh wild so I can messily slaughter every one I find...yeah...

Slugma line. Seriously, their only use is as an incubator for eggs, and Camerupt can do that too, and at least Camerupt gets STABed EQ...

Zubat line. Don't get me wrong, Crobat owns, but I get a little sick of seeing Zubat pop up everywhere

Tentacool line. Again, Tentacruel owns, but still, I get tired of them, Wingull is enough annoyance on the seas, thank you

Abra line. Why add it when you have Ralts and it's evos, eh?

Ones that should have made the jump:

Growlithe-I had to import one from P-Col, which I had to get from XD, one shouldn't have to go through that much trouble people... 3rd Gen needs more fires anyway

Magmar line- Again, more fire types needed people...

PolarisJunkie
5th November 2009, 7:31 AM
Machop needs to leave as well as Pikachu. I actually am fond of Zubat as I like Crobat a heck of a lot.

bobandbill
5th November 2009, 8:06 AM
Don't bump threads that are over a month old - it's against the rules. Especially if the thread's over 3 years old...

Closed.