PDA

View Full Version : D.Gray-man

-Sonansu!-
19th August 2006, 3:46 PM
Has anyone else read this series?

Basically, it revolves around a boy named Allen Walker with a deformed left hand. However, it turns out that the hand in question is a powerful Akuma-slaying weapon, which can turn into a lot of different kinds of weapons.

His left eye is actually cursed (his foster father cursed it after Allen turned him into an Akuma), and he is able to tell the difference between humans and Akuma by using it.

What appeals to me in this series is the art style and the way the story is laid out. It doesn't really feel like any shonen series I've read before. So far, my favorite characters are Allen and Yu Kanda.

The latest chapter (85) was pretty cool as well, for those of you on here who keep up with the series. I can't wait to see how chapter 86 turns out. In the US, the manga is licensed by Viz and is on Volume 3, while in Japan it's up to volume 9. Also, the anime premieres in Japan sometimes in October, so that's something else I look forward to.

bigboss1022
19th August 2006, 7:32 PM
Yeah its a good series. i have volume 1 and i plan to pick up 2. has a really good story and i cant wait to see what happens next

BattleFranky~40
19th August 2006, 7:43 PM
Personally, it's one of my least favorite Jump series. Though it seems to be getting slightly better.

kawaii*ninja
19th August 2006, 8:37 PM
I onley read the first manga episode, when i baught shonen jump, but i really love it! What was your favorite thing about it?

Catalyst
20th August 2006, 1:37 AM
It's enjoyable from what I've read, the artwork is nice. Though I sort of feel displeased after reading volume 2 for some reason. =|

Chaozaru
21st August 2006, 7:13 AM
Been a pretty big fan of it since I read it a while back... I'm really looking forwards to the anime, one of the main problems I've tended to have with the manga is that it's pacing tends to be a bit weird sometimes, but an anime would give it a chance to fix this.

Also I really like the art style for the anime, especially the Earl.

WheelerTheViper
22nd August 2006, 5:02 AM
I love this series. Nothing to complain about, the art is great, the story is pretty good, the Akuma are pretty cool looking and interesting. Though I wish the Earl didn't look so lame. I can't wait for the anime. (Or maybe I can? It will probablly be dubbed by Viz....-_-)

HK
23rd August 2006, 9:49 PM
It's enjoyable from what I've read, the artwork is nice. Though I sort of feel displeased after reading volume 2 for some reason. =|

It picks up in volume three and goes off quite well from there. The first volume is simply an exhibition of sorts while I consider volume two to just boil down to interactions between Allen and Kanda that would only excite fangirls who get off on that "HAWT RIVALRY ACTION" crap. Volume three's story is an interesting one (I wonder if Hoshino has seen Groundhog Day?) and it actually has some solid characterization.

Personally it is my highest regarded Weekly Jump manga out right now. There are of course some typical clichés that remind me of Fullmetal Alchemist, but other than that it actually does a lot of things right that so many other shounen series do wrong. The characters are diverse, there is a straightforward but still focused plot, the artwork is pretty damn good for a weekly shounen series, and the action is actually detailed and doesn't meander to the likes of "MY C*CK IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOURS!" that you see in Naruto and Bleach.

Oh, and of course...

CHARACTERS CAN ACTUALLY DIE! WTHEUHSDJTSEB!!!11111

BattleFranky~40
23rd August 2006, 11:32 PM
Hey, characters in One Piece can die too >_>

Like Bell-Mere, Mr. 11 (or so), everybody except Nico Robin in Ohara, Tom, Kuina, Higuma the Bear, most likely the crew of the ship Sanji worked on along with Zeff's crew, the guys who took steroids in Alabasta, Usopp's mom, Kaya's parents, Dr. Hiriluk, Gol D. Roger, Jaguar D. Saul most likely, alot of the people from Cocoyashi village, the guy from Baroque works who asked Zoro to join BW, Nico Olvia, Spandam could have, a lot of Baroque Works, including Crocodile, Mr. 1, and Mr. 2, will probably be dead soon, Bellamy the Hyena, everybody who died from disease while Skypeaia was still a part of Jaya, Norland, Calgara, Satori of the Trial of Balls, Gin, all 23 or so people CP9 killed, the 500 soldiers and so many pirates Lucci killed, ect.

The point is, people die in other Shounen as well.

HK
24th August 2006, 1:04 AM
Hey, characters in One Piece can die too >_>

Like Bell-Mere, Mr. 11 (or so), everybody except Nico Robin in Ohara, Tom, Kuina, Higuma the Bear, most likely the crew of the ship Sanji worked on along with Zeff's crew, the guys who took steroids in Alabasta, Usopp's mom, Kaya's parents, Dr. Hiriluk, Gol D. Roger, Jaguar D. Saul most likely, alot of the people from Cocoyashi village, the guy from Baroque works who asked Zoro to join BW, Nico Olvia, Spandam could have, a lot of Baroque Works, including Crocodile, Mr. 1, and Mr. 2, will probably be dead soon, Bellamy the Hyena, everybody who died from disease while Skypeaia was still a part of Jaya, Norland, Calgara, Satori of the Trial of Balls, Gin, all 23 or so people CP9 killed, the 500 soldiers and so many pirates Lucci killed, ect.

The point is, people die in other Shounen as well.

Y HALO THAR FLASHBACK!

Really, the majority of the deaths that come about in One Piece where characters are shown to be outright are in flashbacks. Occasionally we're lucky enough to get something otherwise, but then it's only minor characters that nobody cares about. The suspense of seeing characters that we've come to know possibly get killed off just makes me yawn. If death were more of a likelihood in One Piece then I would regard it as being one of the best shounen series out there, but that factor taken out of it brings its marks down for me, personally.

One name: Pell.

D.Gray-man at least gets that aspect right, and even then when you don't have that case...

... the characters don't suddenly become better and able to accomplish anything, and they don't always win in the end. Hell, most of the fights so far have resulted either in it being a loss or massive casualties for the protagonists. I admire Hoshino having the balls to do so (which is ironic, considering that the manga-ka is female).

BattleFranky~40
24th August 2006, 1:15 AM
Y HALO THAR FLASHBACK!

Really, the majority of the deaths that come about in One Piece where characters are shown to be outright are in flashbacks. Occasionally we're lucky enough to get something otherwise, but then it's only minor characters that nobody cares about. The suspense of seeing characters that we've come to know possibly get killed off just makes me yawn. If death were more of a likelihood in One Piece then I would regard it as being one of the best shounen series out there, but that factor taken out of it brings its marks down for me, personally.

One name: Pell.

At this point in the story, the only arc in which I really think more characters should have died in was Skypeia, which was filled with a bunch of crazy ****. Though, I understand where you are coming from, and yes, I realize the majority of the deaths are from flashbacks.

Oh, and I forgot the guy shot by one of the Vice Admirals and the people on the ship they Buster Call'd

And currently, winning fights seems to come at a price, along with losses in general. Yes, Chopper defeated Kumadori, but to do it he had to go Monster Point, which ended up being bad for him, leading to him getting punched by Franky into the water. Sanji was defeated by Califa, and was out for a while before a bathtub falling on him. Usopp pretty much got his *** kicked by Jyabora until Sanji got there. While Luffy defeat Blueno, and is on his way to defeating Lucci, the use of Gear 2 shortens his lifespan with each use, and is therefore quite negative.

Kecleon Freak
24th August 2006, 1:45 AM
Other shonen series have things like Pell's "death", like in Naruto when Neji and Chouji should both have died (And even had scenes that lead you to believe that they were going to die) but didn't for no real reason.

However, I do agree that in One Piece there isn't enough death. Doesn't feel as 'dangerous" as series that do have death. That's one of the only things I don't like about the series.

BattleFranky~40
24th August 2006, 1:47 AM
Oda has already mentioned that in the world of One Piece, losing the chance to reach your dreams is worse than death, which is a reason why he has nobody die, I guess.

-Sonansu!-
24th August 2006, 3:10 AM
Man, when the hell did this turn into a One Piece/Naruto death discussion thread? :P

You know, one thing I noticed about Allen is that he's not really like other shonen heroes. Sometimes he can be quite serious, sometimes naive, and sometimes, just plain crazy. And then there's the whole thing about him being "15.....ish."

BattleFranky~40
24th August 2006, 3:25 AM
Man, when the hell did this turn into a One Piece/Naruto death discussion thread? :P

You know, one thing I noticed about Allen is that he's not really like other shonen heroes. Sometimes he can be quite serious, sometimes naive, and sometimes, just plain crazy. And then there's the whole thing about him being "15.....ish."
Luffy is 17, and is exactly how you described Allen.

Spectre
24th August 2006, 5:44 AM
Wow, stop going off topic. One piece is not in anyway related to D.Gray-Man except that they are both jump serieses and are shonen. This topic is about D.Gray-Man and not about how One Piece is similar to it. Get it straight. [/rant]

Hoshino has done pretty well with this series and created a beautiful plot right now. However, during the first few volumes, everything was kinda crappy because it was really slow paced and there seemed no actual plot until we saw the Noahs. *hint* Also, when Allen got to the Exorcist tower thing, it was an explosion of information because of the sudden introduction of characters. It just seemed kinda rushed and could have been better if it was laid out more. However, after that, everything was put into place.

I think people aren't very interested in this series because nothing is really explained and it requires brains to figure out what happened. During the Suman arc, I had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on and it took me a couple of rereads to understand why everything happened. You need to be able to think and comprehend little bits of information that Hoshino gives you. Also, the beginning is slow, so that could cause people to walk away from it.

Lastly, it seems that it doesn't have an anime base for people to get hooked on to. Most popular serieses get a large portion of advertising through its anime so once the D.Gray-Man anime debuts, hopefully the fanbase will be larger.

Kanda just seems like the fangirl/yaoi girls magnet. I liked Fui. x3

BattleFranky~40
24th August 2006, 5:45 AM
Wow, stop going off topic. One piece is not in anyway related to D.Gray-Man except that they are both jump serieses and are shonen. This topic is about D.Gray-Man and not about how One Piece is similar to it. Get it straight. [/rant]

Thanks for the mini-modding. You sure did contribute by telling us that.

Catalyst
24th August 2006, 10:20 AM
Whoa, BattleFranky be cool. D:

Anyway, HellKorn, I'll be taking your advice, I'm not going to give up on the series as it seems to be promising, but when you say people die you mean main characters or just side characters? No spoilers of who is so please. =<

HK
24th August 2006, 10:46 PM
At this point in the story, the only arc in which I really think more characters should have died in was Skypeia, which was filled with a bunch of crazy ****. Though, I understand where you are coming from, and yes, I realize the majority of the deaths are from flashbacks.

Relatedly Skypeia is my favorite arc in One Piece so far. Water 7 didn't have the area expanded on enough, and the current one Enies Lobby is a bit too tedious, even for standards of One Piece. The Alabasta arc was strong for the most part, but it didn't have the grandeur and spirit that was in Skypeia. Plus, I'll admit to the ending of Skypeia being quite fitting and possibly my favorite ending to any arc in any shounen manga.

And currently, winning fights seems to come at a price, along with losses in general. Yes, Chopper defeated Kumadori, but to do it he had to go Monster Point, which ended up being bad for him, leading to him getting punched by Franky into the water. Sanji was defeated by Califa, and was out for a while before a bathtub falling on him. Usopp pretty much got his *** kicked by Jyabora until Sanji got there. While Luffy defeat Blueno, and is on his way to defeating Lucci, the use of Gear 2 shortens his lifespan with each use, and is therefore quite negative.

My problem with that, though...

I still see them easily recovering afterwards and having little to no reprocussions. Luffy's recent actions and Zoro from time to time are exceptions, but for the most part there is this lack of urgency that I have with the fate of the characters. I know that this is the type of series where you can expect things to straighten themselves out and be right in the end, but I stil expect some expectations for things to be incredibly harsh and some losses by the end of certain events.

Allen shares some similarities with Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist, but his overall persona is still quite different from the latter. His is more aloof while the blonde one's is more determined.

Lastly, it seems that it doesn't have an anime base for people to get hooked on to. Most popular serieses get a large portion of advertising through its anime so once the D.Gray-Man anime debuts, hopefully the fanbase will be larger.

Great, a flood of n00bs to spout nonsense and fangirls who want "AllenxKandaxLavi SMEX!!11" going about forums proclaiming their love for the anime. That's just... wonderful...

Kanda just seems like the fangirl/yaoi girls magnet. I liked Fui. x3

Kanda's one of the few characters in D.Gray-man I'm just not interested because I've come across his type more than I care for, and Hoshino hasn't developed him much, though this is slightly good as...

...he doesn't get hardly much in for appearances after volume two, though from the looks of the recent chapter it seems he's going to enter and stay in the picture for a while.

Anyway, HellKorn, I'll be taking your advice, I'm not going to give up on the series as it seems to be promising, but when you say people die you mean main characters or just side characters? No spoilers of who is so please. =<

It isn't as black and white as it may seem (pun not intended)... To answer your question simply, yes, it is the side characters, however, I will gladly explain things a bit further. I do caution you to not read if you do not want to be spoiled at all, which is certainly a good thing.

While there haven't been any main character deaths yet, the side characters tend to take as much attention as the front cast do. D.Gray-man does what Naruto and Bleach fail to do -- handle a large cast of characters without any being underwhelmed and/or overwhelmed in development. While Allen is clearly the main character, Kanda is the main rival of sorts, Linali is the main heroine, the Earl of the Millennium is the main antagonist, etc. they don't have the focus constantly on them and sometimes won't appear for a fair length of time. There are "main characters" in that sense but they don't take much importance than others aside from the fact that they do survive, save for the fact that most of the time the protagonists come out of it incredibly weakened and with casualties.

Edit: Catalyst, I approve of every choice of your "want to read" manga list except for the last one, 666 Satan. There are a lot better shounen series out there than that (or light-hearted series in general), and I fully encourage you to check out Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, Monster, and (from what I've heard) Mushi-shi as soon as you can.

Chaozaru
25th August 2006, 12:59 AM
Agreed fully on both of Hellkorn's points about it picking up at Volume 3 (things really do pick up a lot once the Noahs and the main side characters start appearing) and the side character focus.

Some of them have only maybe gotten one or two points where they actually got the complete focus in the plot and one of them hasn't really yet, but they're all still important regardless.

Also, the Noah Family is one of the more interesting groups of villians you'll find, IMO.

BattleFranky~40
25th August 2006, 1:01 AM
Also, the Noah Family is one of the more interesting groups of villians you'll find, IMO.

How would they compare to, say, the Genei Ryodan

Chaozaru
25th August 2006, 1:14 AM
I like the Ryodan better, but that's largely my Hunter x Hunter fanboy-ism speaking. That, and they have a lot more interesting abilities, since Hunter x Hunter powers in general tend to be kinda crazy.

BattleFranky~40
25th August 2006, 1:18 AM
So then, where would you place the Noah Family on a list of top manga villian groups?

Chaozaru
25th August 2006, 2:43 AM
Hmm... probably third. Behind the Ryodan, and the Faudo grom from Konjiki no Gash Bell. (Well that isn't really their official name, but they don't have one to begin with so I'm going with that XD)