PDA

View Full Version : Catching pokemon random?

mattm0220
21st August 2006, 8:29 PM
Has anyone noticed that a lot of times catching pokemon is random, regardless of the ball you are using. For instance, I caught my Articuno with a great ball, and my Registeel with a regular pokeball. It was barely in the red, and broke out of the ultra ball I had just used before it even shook. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Moeteimasu Umi
21st August 2006, 8:31 PM
i was batling a registeel and it wasnt weekened at all and i had a level 7 zigzagoone half dead so i threw my last pokeball and i caught it =^_^=

Veggie
21st August 2006, 8:31 PM
Heheh. As a matter of fact, I managed to catch Latias with aGreat Ball in the yellow's. Weird, huh? And for me, great balls are better than ultra balls when catching a ditto.

Carnation the Pink Mew
21st August 2006, 8:45 PM
I've captured Groudon and Rayquaza with a Pokeball, but they were in the low red.

Mitja
21st August 2006, 9:13 PM
i always use pokeballs cause great/ultraball sux
pokeball 200pokedolar 1xchance
ultraball 1200pd 2x chance
u can have 1xchance 6 times
or 2xchance 1time for the same money
the legends arent a big problem to catch
i just used my high lvled zangoose with false swipe when their hp r low
and then put it to sleep
1-30 pokeballs and u should have it xD
o___O
so most of my legends are in a regular pokeball
except a rayquaza for who i used some diveballs xDDDDDDD
DIVEBALL RULZ0RXZ
ehm...yeah xP

Pika Egg
21st August 2006, 10:02 PM
If you're really that concerned with your money in the game, I suppose only using pokeballs does work out to be cheaper...
but if you want to catch it faster, Ultra Balls will significantly cut down the time it takes to catch it in general.

Just a bit of math to support this (assuming I remember my probability hehe):
Let's say you're facing a pokemon which you have a 10% chance of catching.

Using pokeballs, your chances of catching it in 6 turns is
.1 + (.9 * .1) + ((.9^2) * .1) + ((.9^3) * .1) + ((.9^4) * .1) + ((.9^5) * .1) = 46.9%

However, using ultra balls, your chances increase to
.2 + (.8 * .2) + ((.8^2) * .2) + ((.8^3) * .2) + ((.8^4) * .2) + ((.8^5) * .2) = 73.8%

For legendaries however, their catch rates are so low that the 2x Ultra ball multiplier or getting its HP in the red might only increase your chances of catching it from 5% to 10%...which still isn't a very large chance. So then luck comes into play and it all depends on what random number the game generates each turn and what ball you decide to use that turn. If the game generates a 1 and you use any ball, it will catch it. But if it generates a 250, not even an ultra ball will help you catch that legendary...

AJ kinova the psychic
22nd August 2006, 2:52 PM
caught mewtwo with pokeball in yellow

4 8 15 16 23 42
22nd August 2006, 5:15 PM
I caught Latias in a Net Ball ^_^

Shiny Ho-Oh
22nd August 2006, 5:20 PM
I caught Rayquaza with a great ball.

Jaster
22nd August 2006, 9:09 PM
Caught a mewtwo with a greatball without weekening it.

dpfinest
22nd August 2006, 9:56 PM
i caught my groudon and kyorge with 3quarters of there life left with a ultra ball

i caught my rayquaza with a timer ball

Shiny Metagross
23rd August 2006, 4:44 PM
I caught my regice with a pokeball.

My Rayquaza (Lv. 100 finally!) I caught it with a great ball.

Seth_X_of_Fortree
23rd August 2006, 5:02 PM
caught an unweakend snorlax with a great ball.

i do all legendaries/ one offs with ultraballs to start with.

folgore
25th August 2006, 4:46 AM
Ive caught Moltres in a Great Ball, Suicune in a Net Ball, and Registeel in a pokeball.

Water master
25th August 2006, 5:12 AM
I caught groudon with a net ball

Mega Trickster
25th August 2006, 5:13 AM
I threw a Pokeball at an Articuno for kicks, it was still the first turn.

I caught it.

DoaJ
25th August 2006, 5:47 AM
Jeez, thats sweet. The most incredible thing I did (along these lines anyway) was catch Lunatone with a netball....lol. I feel pathetic. I suppose Ill try to catch my Rayquaza with a Great ball or something then, lol.

Walking Contradiction
28th August 2006, 1:47 PM
I aways trust the awesome power of Great Ball.
My best catch is cathing Rayquaza in a Premier Ball.

2Percent Miltank
29th August 2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, that's pretty odd. o-o My neighbor said he caught a Suicune with a Pokeball and I think I once caught a legendary with a Pokeball too, although I can't remember if it was in my Ruby Version or one of the older ones. ^^;