PDA

View Full Version : Emerald or XD?

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 11:59 AM
Ok, so i have enough money for either Emerald or XD but not both. I am about to go into town and possibly buy one.

Thing is:

-I have copies of R/S/LG/FR.
-I have Colosseum.

Now, bearing this in mind, the benefits of emerald would be extra legendaries to trade once D/P come out. However, i have played the same game in R/S and it doesn't offer me any new pokemon.

However, XD does give me a guaranteed Lugia which will be handy if i can't make it to the 10th anniversary event here in the UK.

So my question is, in your opinion, which game will be more worthwhile?

-Garbs

4 8 15 16 23 42
22nd August 2006, 12:40 PM
If you really want Lugia, get XD but personally, if I had neither I'd buy Emerald because it offers so much more. You could rent a copy of XD, get Lugia and give it back.

ScorpionX
22nd August 2006, 12:46 PM
However, XD does give me a guaranteed Lugia which will be handy if i can't make it to the 10th anniversary event here in the UK.
-Garbs

Personally i'd get emerald, but if you want a lugia then get XD, besides you can see bonsly in XD, and mucnhlax( hate that thing, keeps stealing my food )
And off topic i know, but whats this 10th anniversary thing you're talking about?

Prince_PJ
22nd August 2006, 2:35 PM
You've GOT Ruby/Sapphire, XD definately offers way more than Emerald does oO

I mean, I love Battle Frontier, but clearly XD has more to do, and it this point you've probably played through Hoenn a million times

DarkSpectrum
22nd August 2006, 2:42 PM
Since you already have ruby/saphire colosseum and FR/LG then emerald will not offer you any pokemon you do not have. XD offers you lugia.
On the emerald side, you get the advanced batle frontier as well as increased breeding help. It has the increase hatch time from flamebody/magmaarmor, The IV expert, everstone breeding.

Which is more important....
lugia
breeding pokemon.
answer that and you'll know which to get.

Black Marauder
22nd August 2006, 2:45 PM
Emerald. It offers more than XD does. Do what the other person said, rent XD, get Lugia over to Emerald.

Emerald has nice sprites [the animations suck though :P ], enjoyable gameplay, the battle frontier.

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 3:52 PM
Which is more important....
lugia
breeding pokemon.
answer that and you'll know which to get.

Defo the Lugia. I only ever breed to fill up the pokedex and i really don't understand IV/EV stuff at the moment. If i did get into it, it'll be once D/P are out.

Plus there's only so often i can play through a game without getting bored of the same locations.

However, in regards to the renting idea, how long does it take to catch Lugia? Bearing in mind that i have no idea how much it costs to rent a game and will have to snag/purify all the other pokemon in XD to obtain a Lugia on my LG cart, it may be more cost efficient to buy the game rather than rent.

Luckily i now have friday to decide seeing as i didn't have the time to buy either today.

Also, to those who say emerald is worth it, why? I have all the Hoenn pokemon across my R/S carts and pokemon breeding doesn't excite me much. Is the Battle Frontier really worth paying Ł35 for?

Kabuto
22nd August 2006, 3:57 PM
The battle frontier is definitely a nice addition, but if you're sick of Hoenn, XD might be a better choice. However, there are other small additions in Emerald, such as more Team Magma and Aqua invasions, and new caves. Also the cloning glitch. But, XD does have Lugia which is essential to any team. And pokemon with good moves and the lucky egg. Unfortunately, XD's storyline isn't too interesting and is also basically a rehash of Colosseum. Its up to you really.

Tbone2356
22nd August 2006, 3:59 PM
Well I dont think the battle frontier is worth the game because before hand you must complete aalot of tasks and then at the battle frontier battle each thing like 20 or 50 times just to get a symbol that doesnt mean anything or offers any advantage to you...

XD is more fun if you have already played through hoenn.
And It offers some pokemon that you may not have so buy a link cable that links your gamecube to your gameboy adv. and trade away.

Get emerald after you explore Diamond/Pearl if you really want to collect all of the pokemon. But remember there will be Wi-fi on it and most likley a pokemon that you want will always be up for trade...

So get XD, emerald isnt worth the buy...

besides if your not in Japan then D/P will probably come out later for you and you'll probably have them both by then...

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 4:11 PM
besides if your not in Japan then D/P will probably come out later for you and you'll probably have them both by then...

Too true. We get things soooo late in Europe.

Jaster
22nd August 2006, 8:11 PM
there both good games but it is your money why dont you choose?

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 8:17 PM
Because having people help me makes deciding easier.

Sarukarisha
22nd August 2006, 8:28 PM
you should have both by the time they come out wherever you live unless you live in japan

Concrete
22nd August 2006, 8:39 PM
Buy Emerald. XD is a waste of money. Emerald has tons of extras and new features plus you can capture Lugia, Ho-Oh, Deoxys, and Mew in it with special tickets.

Lucas!
22nd August 2006, 8:42 PM
Emerald it has all sorts of stuff XD does not have

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 8:44 PM
I don't have access to special tickets :(

Evan1203
22nd August 2006, 8:52 PM
XD gives acsess to Lugia, as well as many rarer Pokemon, like Chansey, and saves you trouble of evolving some. (It also came in handy for me since I don't have a few version-exclusives in FR/LG, as my sister isn't far in Fire Red)

Emerald, however, has the cloning, which'll help for D/P, and if you have all the versions already and are willing to put in a little elbow grease, you'll get Pokemon like Chansey. As for Lugia, I'm sure you'll find one in D/P online. D: Emerald also saves you the trouble of breeding evolved Pokemon from Colosseum.

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 9:00 PM
Hmm...i guess so.

I spose having legendaries may help in D/P when trading but there will be lots of tem floating around in places. Argh! I'm still in two minds about which to get. I may end up gettign both but im also trying to save up for a Wii and Zelda.

Grr....i guess if i get emerald then i'll be at a point in it where i can trade things over to D/P once theyre out. And i can always get a Lugia over wi-fi or at the 10th anniversary event if i can make it.

chrombot
22nd August 2006, 9:35 PM
Buy Emerald. XD is a waste of money. Emerald has tons of extras and new features plus you can capture Lugia, Ho-Oh, Deoxys, and Mew in it with special tickets.

Tickets which do not come included in the game.

chrombot
22nd August 2006, 9:40 PM
Hmm...i guess so.

I spose having legendaries may help in D/P when trading but there will be lots of tem floating around in places. Argh! I'm still in two minds about which to get. I may end up gettign both but im also trying to save up for a Wii and Zelda.

Grr....i guess if i get emerald then i'll be at a point in it where i can trade things over to D/P once theyre out. And i can always get a Lugia over wi-fi or at the 10th anniversary event if i can make it.

For me, it's Emerald > XD, I may rent XD some time soon too.
I just recently ordered emerald.
XD does have some nice rewards, like lugia, pokemon with unique moves and lucky egg, but I'd rather be able to have the battle fronteir move tutors, the breeding and extended safari zone. It will also allow me to soft reset for shinies whenever I am bored.

Garbs
22nd August 2006, 9:45 PM
It will also allow me to soft reset for shinies whenever I am bored.

That's exactly what i'm thinking at the moment.

TogeticTheRuler
23rd August 2006, 1:53 AM
XD cuz it has these pokemon with special moves,an elekid that has 3 egg moves in its set,psycho boost lugia,extrasensory bird trio,that cool music that plays when Miror B comes,really cool music in the boss battle,
The Orre coloseum which is also very hard to do and doesnt rely on that uber hax of the battle fronteir<_<

~Water Lucario~
23rd August 2006, 6:26 AM
I would get Emerald since I played Emerald alot more then XD. Emerald also has the Battle Frontier which contains a Sodowodo while XD just has Lugia which you can get with the ticket thing.

Judai Yuki
23rd August 2006, 6:29 AM
I didn't like XD one bit.I liked Colosseum more than it.But I like Emerald out of all three.

-Judai

trumpet_crobat
23rd August 2006, 7:49 AM
well you can clone in colloseum too just follow this link http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=33596&page=51 its post 1012

Garbs
23rd August 2006, 1:33 PM
Emerald also has the Battle Frontier which contains a Sodowodo.

I have a Sudowoodo from Colosseum anyway.

while XD just has Lugia which you can get with the ticket thing.

I don't have access to tickets. The only way i'll be able to get a legit Lugia is either XD or making sure i go to the UK event which i can't guarantee atm.

KingBattlus
23rd August 2006, 2:53 PM
the breeding thing is what it came down to for me... in the amount of time that it takes to hatch a starter in my leafgreen i could've hatched a dratini or a chansey. and the natures are completley random in lg too, there's so much luck involved that it's not even worth it. if you want to breed at any point in time, get emerald. you can beat XD in a weekend if you rent it on a thursday/friday you'll be fine, and you don't have to snag any of the pokemon if you don't want to, you just to have to get to the end of the game and use your masterball. i enjoyed playing xd and the hold items are very useful (held, TMs, move tutors, and the lucky egg) but most of the moves that are exclusive to XD are hardly worth it and the odds of you can't even soft reset for good natures/IVs because you have to purify the pokemon almost half way to find out what its nature is!
-kb

Garbs
23rd August 2006, 2:55 PM
So it's easy to snag Lugia, but don't you need to do some special purification chamber thing with every snagged pokemon in it?

folgore
25th August 2006, 3:48 PM
You should definately get XD. There's no new pokemon for you to get in emerald and XD offers not just the Lugia, but a whole host of over 80 pokemon with hard to get EGG moves and attacks they arn't supposed to learn, including the three johto starters with the three elemental Hyper Beams.

You wanted to know about the "special purify" way to purify lugia? Its a piece of cake. Just have the purify machine at maximum power in all nine chambers.

KingBattlus
25th August 2006, 3:53 PM
no, you don't have to have all the pokemon purified (or any of them) to purify lugia, you simply need to have max tempo in all of the chambers (which can be achieved with only hoppips and no shadow pokemon/purified pokemon at all). you can choose one of the johto starters in emerald and the elemental hyper beams suck anyways, so what's the selling point there? typhlosion has a crap movepool, so it's difficult to put him to use, feraligatr is outdone by swampert, so really that only leaves one that's actually worth using, which you could grab in emerald. the only perk XD has is that it gives out pokemon at a high enough level so when you start breeding for egg moves you don't have level up some of those pokemon because they already have alot of the moves you want.

Garbs
26th August 2006, 3:43 PM
Well, i bought XD today because the need for my very own Lugia was overwhelming. That and i felt like the story may be fairly interesting seeing as it's relatively new.

I may however get Emerald on in time.

So, seeing as i have made my choice, i guess this topic can be closed now.

Thanks guys!

Theneedleman
26th August 2006, 3:46 PM
Emerald has the cloning glitch....which is like THE BEST THING EVAR. But it's up to you, Lugia is pretty sweet.

Edit: Dang already bought XD........................