PDA

View Full Version : Why no Shadows?

RaikouSpecialLover
23rd August 2006, 10:49 PM
Everybody seems to be ranting about having no Shadow Pokemon in this game. Post here some reasons why.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
23rd August 2006, 11:22 PM
From my understanding People didnt like the Shadow plot because, it was, and I quote form a hand full of memories
"Running around all that time is boring"
"Battles are too long"
"Boring Plot"
Yeah... Thats what I know, witch I find strange seeing as all those are in the Game Boy games o0

TogeticTheRuler
24th August 2006, 12:44 AM
Yea and there was lack of wild pokemon and a horrible place to ev train pokemon since most pokes are shadows and no/lack of wild pokemon=bad ev training

~Bent~
24th August 2006, 2:52 AM
I have nothing to add other than that Purifying takes too long.

Theneedleman
24th August 2006, 3:27 AM
Yeah and it's bad when you kill a shadow....and then you have to go back to Mirror B. or whatever. And there is no ev training whatsoever...which is pretty bad...

Rhonin the wizard
24th August 2006, 7:38 AM
For ev training you could use hp up, protein, etc.

Acheront
24th August 2006, 7:57 AM
Even by using 10 Proteins (which is max), you can only get 100 Atk EVs. You'll have to EV train for more if you want more.

tomdotcom4
24th August 2006, 8:05 AM
i dont like shadows, i just want this games plot to be like the gba games only 3D.

24th August 2006, 2:07 PM
There are berries in Emerald that whipe EVs, so aslong as you dont Max your Pokemon's level during the main Story, just trade them to emerald, so I sorta see that point as Moot.

I have nothing to add other than that Purifying takes too long.
Takes far less time in GoD then in Colo becasue of the Purification center

i dont like shadows, i just want this games plot to be like the gba games only 3D.
No... just no. The Councol games were made by a diffrent company and took a diffrent path, I doubt it would happen

Spencer
26th August 2006, 7:26 PM
I'd rather not have shadow pokemon. Battle Revolution is based on the D/P characters. The only point of shadow pokemon was for the snag machine and for something different. But that fad has died out.

AdvanceX
26th August 2006, 8:20 PM
I'd rather not have shadow pokemon. Battle Revolution is based on the D/P characters. The only point of shadow pokemon was for the snag machine and for something different. But that fad has died out.

Fad? I guess you could say that meaning within the production of the game itself. I just hope Battle Revolution won't have any Shadows and its story will be a bit more interesting. I'm not hoping for much though.

Purifying got tiring a bit too quick in XD if you ask me. Especially after playing/beating Colo.

Infinite
27th August 2006, 6:33 AM
I kinda dont like shadow pokemons too.. cant EV train >.<

Pikalika55
27th August 2006, 3:55 PM
It got soooo boring in my XD and collos. it was a reapeateve cycle, Walk, fight, snag, Walk, fight, snag, ugghhhg boring.... I wonder though...

27th August 2006, 5:50 PM
It got soooo boring in my XD and collos. it was a reapeateve cycle, Walk, fight, snag, Walk, fight, snag, ugghhhg boring.... I wonder though...

Like the game boy games "Walk battle catch Gym walk battle catch gym

cody67
27th August 2006, 6:59 PM
xd and colos was nothing like the gba ones cause in the gba and gbc you could acuttly stop and ev train

27th August 2006, 7:13 PM
xd and colos was nothing like the gba ones cause in the gba and gbc you could acuttly stop and ev train

;-; EV Training being the only excuse people can come up with makes me EMO.

If you dont like the EV Chancesw in Colo/GOD, trade the pokemon to emerald and WHIPE THE EVS THERE.

Kikas123
27th August 2006, 7:59 PM
I found that Shadow Pokemon got very stale after say 80% of XD, I find them very unorigional.

CassSept
27th August 2006, 9:10 PM
Shadow were just annoying, snagging, purifying, also no wild pokemons in games they appear. So no, no more shadows

Mitja
27th August 2006, 10:48 PM
i didnt like that u could only make a team out of the pokes that seem like someones other pokes <___<

mewfanforlife
28th August 2006, 12:09 AM
I though purifying was too hard in Colosseum, but I actually liked the shadow Pokemon for the most part.

Validus
28th August 2006, 12:26 AM
in was the only alternitive to Wild pokemon they had. though after much thought wild pokemon would not have been That much harder to make. memory would not be an issue cause if you think about it, All the pokemon are already programed in anyway. They should try to follow the gameboy games a little more closer. imagine contest in 3d! now that could be a fun feature.

pokefan
28th August 2006, 12:30 AM
i just don't like them . i want this game to be a stadium remake/uptate

Darkstorm16
28th August 2006, 12:59 AM
Honestly I would like a RPG style to it. I mean it gives you somethings to do and a sense of accomplishements everytime you beat a boss or a gym leader or something. It's better than just sitting there just selecting an attack over and over and beat the opponent and immediately without moving the directional pad you go onto round 2. I don't know about you guys but I like atleast some movement of your characters where you control them atleast for a minute on pokemon games...........especially the big console systems. ^_^ I have no problem with the plot either. It was actually clever and something that was never done before but they can this time leave out the Shadow Pokemon and just make it where you capture pokemon.

Silent orange L.V.12
28th August 2006, 1:30 AM
i hated the shadows and no wild pokes except for pokespots. it gets annyoing to purify after a while.and no ev traning,becuase you cant trade to emarled untill you beat story mode,which dosent matter anyway because you don't have to ev train for bosses because you already beat it!

28th August 2006, 1:37 AM
i hated the shadows and no wild pokes except for pokespots. it gets annyoing to purify after a while.and no ev traning,becuase you cant trade to emarled untill you beat story mode,which dosent matter anyway because you don't have to ev train for bosses because you already beat it!

Orre Colosseum and Mt. Battle Lul@U

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
28th August 2006, 3:18 AM
I love the shadow pokemon idea, and i hope BR continues the shadow pokemon plan. Who cares about EVs and all that jazz? If I want perfect warriors, I will play FE8(looks at Gilliam and his maxed stasts :p).

~Bent~
28th August 2006, 4:42 AM
Actually, I like the idea of Shadow Pokemon -- I never said that Shadow Pokemon are bad. I do wish that Purifying took less time, but if what Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix said is true, that point is moot. And theoretically, one could get a large amount of money and use scents to purify, thus negating the need for EV berries in Emerald.

I would prefer a non-Shadow storyline, but that's merely personal preference, and I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Battle Revolution had them. Really, the only "major" addition to a Shadow game would need to be more Pokemon. But the special moves and the like in Colo/XD make up for it enough. (Can you say, "Lucky Egg"?)

Aquarelle
28th August 2006, 5:18 AM
I don't care if they put shadows in this game or not.
Shadows were a good idea, you would be guaranteed to run into one when you battled a trainer with one, unlike in the wild where you could be looking for hours to find the pokemon you want.

Though on the other hand, shadow pokes got extremely annoying. It took FOREVER to purify them, hyper mode was annoying, they replaced wild pokes, (And too bad XD didn't allow you to catch very many in the wild...) and they extremely limited your options for an ingame team, especially if you couldn't trade. If they put shadows in this game, they BETTER make pruifying much faster, add more, and ensure that we can still find a variety of wild pokemon, so our options for a team isn't so limted.

A non-shadow pokemon game would probably be best, but like I said before, I really don't care, I'll still play the game no matter what they put into it.

Pika Egg
28th August 2006, 6:20 AM
I rather liked the whole Shadow Pokemon idea, especially how they did it in XD. True, purification was a bit slow in Colo, but I don't think I had any problems with purification in XD thanks to the purification chamber. Having a limited choice of pokemon, no breeding, no EV training, etc made the game that much more interesting for me since it forced creativity and experimentation while making it difficult to take the "easy way out" (i.e. breed up and EV train a team equipped with 'standard' movesets).

That having been said, I don't think Shadow pokemon should return in BR unless they can come up with some other creative storyline. XD was more or less just a remake of Colo, but it had enough pretty side features (special moves, pokespots, Lugia, the Lucky Egg, etc) to keep me interested.
Hopefully, they'll try something different without losing originality or quality..

[AceAussie]
28th August 2006, 1:31 PM
shadows aren't that bad i could cope with it to get a good/rare pokemon like deoxy's or manafi...

Elementman-Novapoke
28th August 2006, 4:32 PM
I think I actually know the reason why, the game is supposedly meant to be like stadium+stadium 2 for the n64 and that is purely battle instead of the boring storyline in XD and colloseum(spelling?).

mehh619
30th August 2006, 5:55 PM
it sucked that the only thing you could capture were shadow pokemon. it sucked that you had to snag it from a trainer and then open its heart. it was better when there were wild normal pokemon.

mehh619
30th August 2006, 6:00 PM
i dont want it like it is on gameboy because they're already coming out with one like that called diamond and pearl as you all know. i want it to be an RPG but not like the gameboy ones OR the gamecube ones. i just want an RPG with a new plot that has nothing to do with shadow pokemon or snagging pokemon. snagging sucks, it needs wild pokemon

TIMO
30th August 2006, 6:33 PM
It better be a stadium game, *blinks* otherwise itll suck

CrimsonX
30th August 2006, 7:40 PM
it doesnt matter to me b/c i probably wont buy the WII for awhile if i even want one. I have anx-box 360 and im getting a PS3.

ebil joey
30th August 2006, 9:15 PM
the shdws were better in xd.but if they do make another rpg with snagin.they should make you a team galaxie member etc.to steal non shdws(any pkmn you see lol)

Bulbatordile
30th August 2006, 9:23 PM
I like shadow pokemon and the story that goes with them. But that has happened in two games now. So I hope there is something new in the next game, not just shadow's being repeated. I know the hand held games repeat the same basic plot (beging trainer, 1st pokemon...champion) but the consol games are more story centered.

I would like something fresh.

mehh619
31st August 2006, 9:12 PM
it may be true that you could look for the pokemon you want for hours but if there are wild pokemon youll atleast be sure you can get. if all we do is catch the shadows then were missing out on catching most of the pokemon.

the_fifth_horseman
1st September 2006, 2:49 PM
i'm a fan of the gba games, i really didnt like col and GoD at all

HERLS
1st September 2006, 5:55 PM
Well, this is meh first post here, and I'm not gonna scuff it up like I do on every other forum. But anyway:

I personally don't see the problem with Shadow 'mon. Sure, they sucked donkey testacles on Colloseum, but they also fixed up everything bad about the Shadow system on XD. If they perfect the system completely for PBR, I'll personally be the first one to buy it. Of course, there was always one problem with the system - The limitations of what you can or can't catch. Colloseum and XD restricted catching many pokemon, due to the lack of Tall grass. Which presents an interestiong problem, since, if someone was to attempt to build a PBR/Col/XD exclusive team, they would have a hard time and a very limited range of beasts. I don't know how they'd fix the system, but perhaps trainers could have random shadow pokemon (So that, If you go against someone, the shadow pokemon they have is entirely random, unless it is improtant to the story, like Lugia was in XD).

So yeah, that be my two cents on the matter. Whilst I don't have anything against Shadow pokemon, I'd prefer the normal system instead.

~Jack~
1st September 2006, 10:03 PM
Shadow pokemon made the game hard, but cool with all of the attacks and stuff.I also like all of the characters. But for this game, Nintendo should do something a little more tradtional. Just like a GBA game. The battles need to be shorter and gameplay needs to be longer that 20-40 hours.

Sam The Ham6
2nd September 2006, 4:42 AM
I absolutely hated the console pokemon games.
I would buy Pokemon Battle Revolution if it was like stadium though....

Kingdra
3rd September 2006, 2:54 AM
yeah, i'd actually rather have more shadow pokemon rather than a Stadium like game that everybody else wants. I liked the Shadow Pokemon idea.

Kingdra
3rd September 2006, 2:56 AM
yeah, i'd actually rather have more shadow pokemon rather than a Stadium like game that everybody else wants. I liked the Shadow Pokemon idea.

Hao Kaiser
3rd September 2006, 3:28 AM
Shadow Pokemon were a neat novelty for a while, but they got really old.

Fast.

It got really iritating being restricted to certain Pokemon too, it was to much like a standard RPG, while having your own, custamized team is what makes Pokemon stand out in the first place.

Ryoku
3rd September 2006, 4:41 AM
i hated colosseum for the longness, i still have all caught, but not purified, however, XD was a great game, the story was better, you had a sweet sister, the 100 battle thing was great for training pokemon (after you did ev training on your gameboy) when you were trying to get the 3 jhotto (sp?) starters. and to top it off, got my fav. item in XD, the lucky egg, and i cant think of one that has made me happier
also, i believe that the game taking place in orre, with now complete wild pokemon (the spots you cought them in xd have expanded), and maybe some shadows, would be nice for a story line

Th4x
3rd September 2006, 6:31 PM
i had XD but i completed it snagged em all purified em and returned it, i got my Ł30 back and loads of pokes for my emerald dex so really if you played 2 hours XD each day for 7 days you could just return it, what a boring 7 boys of XD that was anyway ¬_¬

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:18 PM
XD was awesome but i wanted more wild pokemon instead of all the shadow pokemon i still like shadow pokemon its just theres more of them then any wild pokemon and junk

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:22 PM
XD was awesome but i wanted more wild pokemon instead of all the shadow pokemon i still like shadow pokemon its just theres more of them then any wild pokemon

b_m
4th September 2006, 8:17 PM
Guys, they're shadow Pokemon. SHADOW.

Shadow is Japanese for "awesome".

Therefore everyone who doesn't like tedium and unnecessary effort for the sake of it is wrong. Shadow FTW!

Rudoku
4th September 2006, 8:41 PM
Dark/Shadow pokemon were worthless, and the teams that created them should be killed. "DURR I'll close the heart of this level 10 Shroomish so it can't do anything but suck and take over the world with legions of pokemon like that, Hyuk!" XD01 was the only one that was worth anything, and it was stupid too. But they just had to make the game tedius and boring somehow, and breeding was out of the question.

Ballade
5th September 2006, 12:51 AM
I hate the games mainly because of the Shadow Moves. Yeah, they're SE against non-shadows, but the thing is, they have only 1 use, and I mean that quite literally, they can only use each move once. Meaning, if you're on your last pokemon and they used up all of their moves (this pokemon being a Shadow pokemon), then you're basically gonna lose unless they KO themselves.

I'd prefer if PBR was just like the Stadium games, nothing but battling with a bunch of mini games thrown in to keep you occupied if you want to do something different. Plus, they sort of tested your skill, like being able to think on your feet, and to increase your timing.

5th September 2006, 3:07 AM
Guys, they're shadow Pokemon. SHADOW.

Shadow is Japanese for "awesome".

Therefore everyone who doesn't like tedium and unnecessary effort for the sake of it is wrong. Shadow FTW!

In Japanese Shadow means NOTHING >> Dont Post about Japanese unless you KNOW Japanese.

"DURR I'll close the heart of this level 10 Shroomish so it can't do anything but suck and take over the world with legions of pokemon like that, Hyuk!"
They Stole the pokemon, and shadowed them. The Programers used Pokemon they beleived would be useful to people.

I hate the games mainly because of the Shadow Moves. Yeah, they're SE against non-shadows, but the thing is, they have only 1 use, and I mean that quite literally, they can only use each move once. Meaning, if you're on your last pokemon and they used up all of their moves (this pokemon being a Shadow pokemon), then you're basically gonna lose unless they KO themselves.
YOu can use Shadow attacks as many times as you want o0

i dont know 2 A.K.A. quilava lover
5th September 2006, 4:35 AM
The length of purifying.

Topaz Archer
5th September 2006, 5:16 AM
how would they recycle the shadow pokes?

"OzMg i'M An OlD MaN i fOUnd some SHadOWs! ilL RuLE tHE wORLD. i pWN jOO." it cant be recycled.

okay?

yoshi
6th September 2006, 3:54 AM
becase shdow pokeon suck
like 5 wild pokemon
too many battles in one place

cybermew
6th September 2006, 9:14 PM
Have wild shadows if your gonna do anything but let Gamefreak make it.

boguschild2
6th September 2006, 11:34 PM
the shadow plot was probably the stupidest thing pokemons done, it kinda killed my whole pokemon experience, on nonhandhelds anyway

gsmz28
7th September 2006, 12:36 AM
Shadow Pokemon suck. I don't care about EVs except for my Emerald team which I use for tournaments, and everything else, I raise them however the heck I want. Even without EVs, it's annoying to go to Miror B. or in Colosseum, resetting.

Waterup
7th September 2006, 1:49 AM
The RPG element idea was good but, shadow are too annoying. Stadium=Endless fun Battles. Just combine the two and boom you get a tourny game with a guy trying to do something in the Master Cup. Customize your team or use them from D&P and get your rank high enough to win. Also, make your own tourny and help D&P level (EV. Lovers) and stuff like that.

Just ideas I threw out. :P

yutss
7th September 2006, 7:50 AM
3 words

stupid
repetitive
plot

7th September 2006, 8:50 PM
3 words

stupid
repetitive
plot
It HAS a plot though, not like the gameboy games. Hell, the STADIUM games dont offer a plot, making the "Plot" of the gameboy games look like its emmy award material

b_m
8th September 2006, 12:50 AM
(Words)
In Internet sarcasm means NOTHING >> Dont Post about anything unless you KNOW sarcasm.

Face it. No Pokemon game will EVER have a truly compelling plot. If you want to sacrifice gameplay for some semblance of a storyline, go play Final Fantasy X or something.

PikamasterADV
13th September 2006, 6:19 PM
While I loved XD and the Shadow Pokemon, I'd really prefer a Stadium Game, complete with 4 Generations worth of a Gym Leader Castle.

Seriously, the Gym Leader Castle was the funnest thing in those games for me.

eklips3
13th September 2006, 6:46 PM
i hated te shadow pokemon cleansing thing.

~Water Lucario~
14th September 2006, 9:35 AM
because Shadows suck, case closed.

They were just annoying, pointless and stupid, not being able to trade them to the GBA games until they were purified made them even worst.

Bliksem
14th September 2006, 9:57 AM
My qualms with Shadow Pokemon lie only with the selection of Pokemon. There were simply not enough of them. In a GBA, I would have a plethora of Water Pokemon to choose from, and had the more-than-decent Surf HM to make them powerful. In XD you had to be content with the Water Pulse TM or the occassional Waterfall/Hydro Pump. You also couldn't catch multiples of a Pokemon, so imagine my distress when I find out that my Starmie is Adamant. Do I really want to save and restart? What about people with multiple Pokemon on his team. What are the odds of me finding a Timid Zapdos, a Calm Articuno and an Adamant Tauros in the last battle?

woot21
14th September 2006, 5:32 PM
I found that Shadow Pokemon got very stale after say 80% of XD, I find them very unorigional.

10 years of get your first Poke, then go beat the gym leaders and the 1337 4, and two Shadow games, now which is unorigional, I just love the hypocryts. They claim that the Shadow thing is old and repeatitive yet they want a 3d hand held game pretty much, 2 games=old yet 3 gens=/=old? :confused: I don't understand you people, you want them to be more creative, yet you want them to rehash the same idea they have been using for 10 years now. ROFLMAO. The above quote just helps make my point even more, personally I enjoy the Shadow Pokemon, the games are more challenging since you can't go out and have your pick of Poemon to make your team, GBA games are easier for that reason, that's why the Scramble challenges are so popular, they give you a challenge.

woot21 out dawgs

TIMO
14th September 2006, 11:38 PM
The very nature of the GBA games makes them un-repetitive, plot centric games like this get really frustrating when after the concept is re used alot.

jk102393
21st September 2006, 12:47 AM
Shadow pokemon were the worst thing to happen to pokemon and im glad they are gone

Xanatos
21st September 2006, 1:56 AM
They were not that bad But Nintendo would be overusing them if they put them in this game.

Drummerdude
21st September 2006, 2:33 AM
If they had different ones and they had that special move than it wouldn't bother me.

Waterup
21st September 2006, 2:35 AM
Hoping the idiots of Nintendo are reading this.

MAKE THIS A SIMPLE TOURNY OR SCHOOL TYPE GAME WITH A LEGEND PLOT LINE, THAT WORKS!

Overall, no shadow :) Shadows :(

Eerie Fuwante
21st September 2006, 2:47 AM
The worst thing about shadow pokemon was that is Colosseum, your choice of training 386 pokemon was transformed in only 51 species(counting the 48 shadow pokemon, Umbreon, Espeon and Ho-oh)

fosterfossil
21st September 2006, 3:45 AM
maybe they r doing a different storyline? thats how shadow pokemon came into existence

Arbok
21st September 2006, 7:19 AM
3 words

stupid
repetitive
plot

And the time, too. Anyway it's stupid.

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
22nd September 2006, 5:28 AM
They were not that bad But Nintendo would be overusing them if they put them in this game.

Oh yes, two or three games of shadow pokemon make the plot over used even though we have 11 plotless "Wait till I'm ten to get my first monster then beat 8 uber dudes then beat 4 uberer dudes with da uberest dude at the end all in one day" kind of games. Nobody complains about them, but many complain about the games with shadow pokemon.

At least you think shadows are not that bad.

Ash's Pika Pal
24th September 2006, 11:53 PM
Shadow Pokemon means you go back to Orre(sp). Which means it doesn't have wild Pokemon in the grass. Biggest letdown in the game.

Reizero90
25th September 2006, 12:48 AM
Look at it this way: If they make another game in Orre they'd have to be plenty of wild pokemon as they were starting to flourish in XD. I liked shadow pokemon, it made a change from the usual gym thing. The only thing that 3D RPG's lacked was breeding, if they impliment it this time it'll be as good as they can make it.

ninetales catcher
25th September 2006, 1:17 AM

me too, i hate the shadow pokemon, makes game not as fun
;038;

SproutKing
25th September 2006, 3:40 AM
I don't know why, but I simply disliked the shadow Pokemon. It was an interesting change for awhile, but in the end I just found them gimmicky. I hope they think up some new interesting twists (if the game has a rpg element) to replace them.

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
25th September 2006, 4:34 AM
me too, i hate the shadow pokemon, makes game not as fun
;038;

Why are the games not fun if they have shadow pokemon?

fenix287
25th September 2006, 4:45 AM
i didn't like the shadow PKMN because it took too long to purify......i'm hoping this game will be more like pokemon stadium

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
25th September 2006, 5:04 AM
i didn't like the shadow PKMN because it took too long to purify......i'm hoping this game will be more like pokemon stadium

All that time it took to purify them was a lot of fun IMO.

robotwind
25th September 2006, 5:23 AM
I might get crushed for this but, what is Ev training

Ludicolo von Nosepass
25th September 2006, 7:50 AM
I think it is that you train up you Ev´s(you know attack, speed and so on) by battling a pokemon that gives an extra boost of that Ev for example zubat gives 2 ev points in speed i think... Theres an Ev guide on serebii check it out instead!

pkemn master#1
25th September 2006, 11:05 PM
I guess shadow pokemon where getting kinda boring but, you have to addmit the shadow moves in XD where cool

Sammi
25th September 2006, 11:13 PM
I'd be happy if there weren't Shadow Pokemon.

Seriously... Purifying is gawd d%^& annoying.

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
26th September 2006, 4:10 AM
I'd be happy if there weren't Shadow Pokemon.

Seriously... Purifying is gawd d%^& annoying.

Purifying was awsome and a lot of fun dawg.

dark_murasame
27th September 2006, 3:35 AM
Yea. the purification process was pretty annoying,boring and hard. It got worse especially with the stronger pokeon like the legendaries and also pokemon like tyranitar and metagross. So its better that the shadows are gone.

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
27th September 2006, 4:27 AM
Yea. the purification process was pretty annoying,boring and hard. It got worse especially with the stronger pokeon like the legendaries and also pokemon like tyranitar and metagross. So its better that the shadows are gone.

That is all your opinion >_> Purifying them was fun and not ennoying. It wasn't that hard either. The game wouldn't be as good if there weren't any shadow pokemon.

Now that is my opinion. ^_^

h0tsh0tz
27th September 2006, 5:06 PM
Finally no more shadows, Purifing takes too long, and Story is short, So Pokemon Battle Revolution will be like GBA / DS but in 3D.