PDA

View Full Version : Gathering the Gang of Four! (465)

Serebii
25th August 2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/465.jpgFirst Pokémon! Last Battle!

It's time for Ash's 2nd Rematch against Brandon, a full 4 VS 4 Pokémon Battle. Calling upon his oldest Pokémon; Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard & Squirtle, Ash trains the four and prepares for the battle. However when he gets into the battle, the battle appears to be tougher than anticipated...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/465.shtml)

Discuss

Akaba
25th August 2006, 10:41 AM
Wha'...I was hoping for some detail on the episode...

Anyays, how is it a bad title?

When you think 'First Pokemon' the Kanto trio comes to mind. Pidgeot and Butterfree have long been forgotten by MANY fans across the Kanto and Kansai regions of Japan.

Torkoal Stu
25th August 2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah but Butterfree and Pidgeot may have been his first Pokemon but really his first four main Pokemon that stayed on and did important things where Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard and Pikachu.

Well also this Dusclops seems to take out Charizard, good on Brandon.

The Missing Number
25th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah. So, after that, Charizard and the others come...I think a good thing that could happen is that they get caught by team Rocket, and then Pidgeot and Butterfree come to help...that could bring the entire oldest team together...^_^

Akaba
25th August 2006, 11:06 AM
Butterfree and Pidgeot won't show up...

They probably forgot Satoshi. Butterfree is with his breeding partner somewhere with their thousand babies and Pidgeot is still probably protecting those weak Pidgey...

For the last...3 years...or 6 years...or since Satoshi doens't seem to age, Pidgeot could of just been there for an hour.

MechaBulba
25th August 2006, 2:10 PM
Butterfree and Pidgeot won't show up...

They probably forgot Satoshi. Butterfree is with his breeding partner somewhere with their thousand babies and Pidgeot is still probably protecting those weak Pidgey...

For the last...3 years...or 6 years...or since Satoshi doens't seem to age, Pidgeot could of just been there for an hour.

That would be strange yet funny.

I don;t get that whole Pidgeot thing. Since he left it on the boarders of Pallet town so surly he must still see it araound. Or he could have left it at Oaks and let it fly off and check on the Pidgey once in a while. Strange.

Anyways back on topic if its a 4 on 4 battle whats all this stuff about Ninijasks and Solrocks? I thought It was the 3 Regis and Dusclops vs Ash "1RST BY Deafult" team.

Serebii
25th August 2006, 2:58 PM
That was people guessing. Brandon only uses one Regi in this battle, but we don't see those until the next episode

Akaba
25th August 2006, 3:00 PM
The Regi thing was total speculation.

You know, as the Regi's were shown, it just seemed like a no-brainer that Jindai would use his strongest monsters...

Guessed the writers actually made something unpredictable...and then having Charizard lose?

Wow, now that is what I call some crazy mojo from the writers. We really might have Satoshi and Haruka leaving...letting Takeshi be the lead star.

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 3:11 PM
This episode looks like it's going to be my favorate episode. I've seen some screenshots and it is just incredible. This is the trio I wanted to see return in Advanced Generation. Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle together again.

CyberCubed
25th August 2006, 4:52 PM
Charizard going down to Dusclops was both unpredictable and great writing. After seeing Charizard come back as the main Pokemon in the Clair, Gary, Harrison, and Noland battles, it was FANTASTIC to see the writers have Ash's trump card go down first.

I love you writers, it is stuff like this which is truly good writing. Plus it gives more time for Squirtle to shine, dammit!

I am very pleased with how the final battle is turning out so far, I hope the next part is very good!

Flamez
25th August 2006, 5:06 PM
Havent seen the episode yet but after seeing the pics I can honestly say this looks to be a great episode. Ash, Pikachu, and the kanto trio getting to spend some time together is awesome. The flashbacks of how ash met them seems to be really nice. Cant wait to see the episode.

Charizard going down was really unexpected, I was thinking it would get destiny bonded but that didnt happen. O well that doesnt make charizard weak or anything, dusclops was just stronger.

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 5:08 PM
Charizard going down to Dusclops was both unpredictable and great writing. After seeing Charizard come back as the main Pokemon in the Clair, Gary, Harrison, and Noland battles, it was FANTASTIC to see the writers have Ash's trump card go down first.

I love you writers, it is stuff like this which is truly good writing. Plus it gives more time for Squirtle to shine, dammit!

I am very pleased with how the final battle is turning out so far, I hope the next part is very good!
It seems Bulbasaur and Squirtle have surpassed Charizard.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
25th August 2006, 5:14 PM
Wow, I saw the pics and this is an amazing episode. Had some nice comedy moments and some good flashbacks.

I found it funny where Charizard couldn't control his flames. Seems like kind of an emotional episode. I'm gonna have to watch this one for sure. The way Charizard went down, kinda hard to see after all he did.

The animation kinda irked me though. Poor Charizard he just didnn't look right and same with Ash.

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 6:48 PM
Seeing Bulbasaur standing on two legs was kinda cool.

Flamez
25th August 2006, 7:42 PM
It seems Bulbasaur and Squirtle have surpassed Charizard.
How the hell do you come to that logic?

Torkoal Stu
25th August 2006, 7:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks these flashbacks of old episodes drawn like in new style look sort of out of place? Apart from the fact they risk continuity if they mess something up but whatever, not like the writters care abou contunity.

Charizard did well though, but it has been asking for a loss for a while after taking down Articuno, you know, its just like make me lose because I beat a legendary. Well thats how I see it.

Torkoal kicking a football was cooler than Bulbsaur standing [/bias]

Korobooshi Kojiro
25th August 2006, 7:52 PM
Anyone notice the error in the one flashback.

Charizard battled Articuno in an open, barren field?

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 9:37 PM
How the hell do you come to that logic?
Charizard loses to Dusclops
Bulbasaur is most likely going to beat Dusclops
Squirtle will defeat whatever beats Bulbasaur

I also said seems

hustenapfel
25th August 2006, 10:19 PM
Charizard looks weird,doesn´t it?

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 10:55 PM
Nah, Charizard looks great.

Rizardon
25th August 2006, 11:03 PM

He,s never looked better. He,s just 'hot'.

Sorry for the bad pun. :p

hustenapfel
25th August 2006, 11:10 PM
the eyes look creepy...

Blaziken Trainer
25th August 2006, 11:24 PM
Wow. I hate the animation. It looks so cheap. Did they get new animation director or something?

robotwind
25th August 2006, 11:29 PM
Havent seen the episode yet but after seeing the pics I can honestly say this looks to be a great episode. Ash, Pikachu, and the kanto trio getting to spend some time together is awesome. The flashbacks of how ash met them seems to be really nice. Cant wait to see the episode.

Charizard going down was really unexpected, I was thinking it would get destiny bonded but that didnt happen. O well that doesnt make charizard weak or anything, dusclops was just stronger.
episode Pics where do you see them at?

Jikkle
25th August 2006, 11:32 PM
I usually don't notice things like animation but the animation just felt off the entire episode. All and all it's was a good episode for some of us old timers who remember the good old times in Indigo Saga :)

It was quick but May's Squirtle playing with Ash's Squirtle was pretty cool. Also Ash's Squirtle is acutally a lot bigger than May's but that's probably due more to May's still being a younger Squirlte than it being a runt.

For some reason they made wing attack out to be this awesome new attack for Charizard. Brandon by far is the best opponent to date in this show. His counters and strategy is just plain smart and logical unlike some "strategy" that his been in this show *cough* golden Swellow and Pikachu *cough*.

Looking forward to the finale even though once again it will fall on Pikachu to win the thing but the Bulbasaur and Squirte scenes look like they will be good.

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 11:39 PM
Wow. I hate the animation. It looks so cheap. Did they get new animation director or something?
Most shots looked fantastic. There were the occational times when they changed art style (Good art but not the same style) but I love the whole thing.

Some of my favorate things about this episode:
Seeing Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle together again. A sight not seen since Johto.
Bulbasaur standing on two legs.
Ash and Mays Squirtle's meeting each other.
Backwards cap for Ash, a rare sight in Advanced Generation.
Reanimated flashbacks.
Ash in his Kanto clothes in the Advanced Generation art style during the flashbacks.
Team Rockets metal ballon that by all logical standards shouldn't beable to take flight.
The training.
The fact that next episode Bulbasaur will most likely beat a Pokemon that Charizard lost to.

Dreamer
25th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Anyone notice the error in the one flashback.

Charizard battled Articuno in an open, barren field?

yeah, and in that same shot, ash was wearing his old outfit...well, those are details of course, but still...

and Charizard looked a bit weird...

I just finished watching it, and I love it. it's a great episode, and I can't wait for the next one, which seems awesome...

I liked the somewhat slower version of 'battle frontier' played in the background during the flashback scene (I think it's the best pokémon theme ever), which made this scene even better

only 3 episodes left...if I'm correct...I hope we'll have more info on the cast for the next season soon...

Dreamcoat
25th August 2006, 11:46 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Dreamcoat/wtf-1.jpg

Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who have noticed how screwed up the animation is starting to be at certain points =/.

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 11:49 PM

Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who have noticed how screwed up the animation is starting to be at certain points =/.
Those aren't screw ups. Just another art style. Its good but its just too different from the main style.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
25th August 2006, 11:54 PM
Those aren't screw ups. Just another art style. Its good but its just too different from the main style.

That ain't style, it's a messed up ugly drawing and the episode is full of it.

Dreamer
25th August 2006, 11:56 PM
yeah, it was different...didn't think it was ugly, but didn't really like it either. some shots just were weird...especially the charizard shot posted above...

Gaiash
25th August 2006, 11:57 PM
That ain't style, it's a messed up ugly drawing and the episode is full of it.
Its not ugly. Its just very different from the main animation.

Gravy
26th August 2006, 12:05 AM
What 'main animation'? Every episode is animated and drawn differently.
This one in particular was is ugly. The characters are out of proportion (barring one or two close-up shots) and the animation sucked. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
'It's their art style' isn't a decent enough excuse for sloppy work I'm afraid.

Dreamcoat
26th August 2006, 12:07 AM
People are entitled to have opinions, honey.

Flamez
26th August 2006, 12:12 AM
Charizard loses to Dusclops
Bulbasaur is most likely going to beat Dusclops
Squirtle will defeat whatever beats Bulbasaur

I also said seems
After watching the episode dusclops and charizard BOTH were breathing heavy, meaning both were worn out. So if bulbasaur beats it that doesn't make it better then charizard. You cant use that logic, i'll give a few examples: Pikachu lost to masamunes steelix but Grovyle beats it now that DOESNT mean grovyle is better cuz grovyle loses to tysons metagross and pikachu beats it. You see torkoal and pikachu battled and weakened steelix for grovyle to finish it off. The same thing with Swellow and grovyle when they weakened metagross for pikachu to win.
Charizard has battled dusclops and has drained alittle bit of its eneregy and dusclops IS tired. Therefore bulbasaur comes in fresh and can win. I know you said it SEEMS like that but get that idea out of your mind,lol.

Okay so after watching the episode I can honestly say it was an awesome episode. Gave me alot of laughs.
Charizard meeting Ash in the regular way by frying him but this time pikachu gets caught in it to.
When there all catching the logs it seems like squirtle gets ahead of himself and misses the catch, lol. (the turtle is damn good, unlike some OTHER turtle we know).
They make alittle bed (I think) and charizard gets in first only to have squirtle blast a water gun at it face. Charizard then gets up ready to strike but squirtles runs away then bulbasaur uses vine whip. Charizard dodges it and Oppps its slap pikachu in the face, ROFL.
Bulbasaur appologizes though but pikachu tries to iron tail charizard but it misses. Charizard is mad and fries Ash and pikachu as well, now pikachu is Pi**ed off, Ash tells it to calm down but it just Zaps them all including squirtle and bulbasaur.
When they all gater up the berries, its funny how pikachu uses quick attack and then stops and catchs two while on one foot, mad cute.
The flashback of how Ash got them was really sweet it had me crying. *shot*
Lol at Manene when it has its tounge sticking out while blasting off.

The battle was good IMO.
When charizard is confused or i dont know what happens to it cuz I have no clue what the attack is that leaves charizard immoblized. But we see Ash trying to snap him out of it, we get flashbacks of blaziken and articuno and charizard hears ash calling out to it and then snaps out of it ready to battle.
Charizard and Dusclops exchange hits and then we see them BOTH breathing Heavy, while charizard had taken more hits until that point. Clearly that shows charizard packs quite the punch.
Ash tells charizard to use steel wing which hits but then goes for seismic toss. My japanese is very limited but Im sure brock mentions at that point that dusclops is a ghost type and a fighting type attack wont effect it cuz dusclops just disappears. Brandon then uses shadowpunch and dusclops win.
Overall a good battle Ash made a mistake by using seismic toss cuz thats what ended up screwing him over.
Anyways the animation wasn't the greatest but still all the laughs I got and bonding with his trio again was rather nice. The charizard vs. dusclops battle was also good, overall i give it a 10/10.

greatfire
26th August 2006, 12:12 AM
Yes, the main animation team is currently working in the new D/P series, and it seems they took with them most of the budget.

Anyway, for those who didn't see the episode or don't understand enough japanese:

Brandon vs Ash: 4 vs 4. No time limit. Brandon cannot change pokemon, Ash can.

Dusclops vs Charizard:
Charizard uses Flamethrower, Dusclops uses Will-o-Wisp and both attacks cancel each other.
Charizard uses Steel Wing but Dusclops uses Shadow Punch and it hits first, stopping Charizard's attack.
Charizard uses Dragonbreath and it hits Dusclops.
Dusclops uses Mean Look and it hits Charizard but does not make any damage.
Charizard uses Steel Wing again but Dusclops uses Detect and clings to Charizard's wing so it can use Confuse Ray eye to face ensuring a hit.
Ash's Charizard is now too confused to move so Ash tries to retrieve it but Mean Look's effect prevents it.
Dusclops hits Charizard with Shadow Punch and Will-o-Wisp before Ash manages to make Charizard shake off its Confusion and hit Dusclops with another Dragonbreath.
Dusclops launches another Will-o-Wisp and hits, Charizard starts to show its tiredeness now, but Blaze is not triggered yet.
Charizard uses Steel Wing again so Dusclops uses Detect and again cling to the wing.
Ash commands a Seismic Toss at that moment, but Dusclops easily slips out of it because, as Brock points out, Ghost types are unaffected by Fighting moves.
Before Charizard recovers, Dusclops uses a Shadow Punch and Charizard faints.

Brandon 4 - Ash 3.

EDIT: Flamez is right, is Dragonbreath (ryu no ibuki) not Dragon Rage (ryu no ikari) my mistake.

Kabuto
26th August 2006, 12:16 AM
Poor Ash can still be a rookie sometimes. Using seismic toss on a ghost type is stupid :p. Anyway, I hope Regice is the only Regi used. Because i don't want Charizard to look inferior. its been training for too dam long for that to happen. Can't wait for the next episode. This was very interesting.

EDIT: Saw the preview glad none of them are used.

Flamez
26th August 2006, 12:21 AM
^^ I think the attack is Dragon Breath not Dragon Rage.
When Charizard snaps out of the confusion and hits dusclops with dragon breath and gets hit with will-o-wisp Im almost certain that both pokemon are breathing heavy. They both show there tiredness.

Kabuto
26th August 2006, 12:22 AM
You know come to think of it, if brandon used all 3 regis, Ash would not be able to win.

MAYBE with Sceptile and Charizard he'd come close.

Rizardon
26th August 2006, 12:22 AM
Dusclops >> Charizard
Bulbasaur >> Dusclops
Ninjask >> Bulbasaur
Squirtle >> Ninjask
Squirtle >> Solrock
Pikachu - Regice

Is this how the battle goes?
(Downloading the epi right now, a bit slow and i,m a bit impatient)

vappy
26th August 2006, 12:31 AM
It was a good ep. And some of you are being way too whiney about the animation.

greatfire
26th August 2006, 12:35 AM
^^ I think the attack is Dragon Breath not Dragon Rage.
When Charizard snaps out of the confusion and hits dusclops with dragon breath and gets hit with will-o-wisp Im almost certain that both pokemon are breathing heavy. They both show there tiredness.

You are right, is Dragonbreath (ryu no ibuki) not Dragon Rage (ryu no ikari) my mistake.
And yes, both were tired at that point, but what is relevant is that Blaze was not triggered.
It is the same as to point when Charizard is Flying and when it is not, it is not relevant because Dusclops never used a Ground move.

Flamez
26th August 2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah but Blaze has never been triggered before. The only thing we've seen so far is grovyle using Over grow which was back in the petalburg gym battle. If Charizard has used blaze then probably it would've won and the writers wanted it to lose. I've seen the episode and honestly charizard could've won and trust me I dont say that because charizard is one of my favorite pokemon. Brandon had a very good strategy, using mean look and confusing charizard were great, not to mention using detect. But still with all of that being used Charizard snapped out of confusion and was ready for more. I see it like this two attacks from charizard left dusclops breathing heavy while it took dusclops 4 attacks to get charizard breathin heavy.

S.Suikun
26th August 2006, 12:56 AM
Quickfire talkback!

- Okay, this newbie animation team totally fails with facial expressions.
- Finally, some Squirtle/Squirtle action. Classic Squirtle meets Loathed Squirtle.
- Ash: "Let's go build a fort!"
- Ow, poor Squirtle. BTW, we don't hear the Elite 4 theme enough in this series.
- It's like Pikachu just magically floated into the air.
- Yay, Battle Frontier Ballad.
- That's not the Battle Factory!
- This cooling-metal technique would be neat if it weren't done so many damn times before.
- TR's appearance alone justifies the need to fire this animation team.
- The mural's back. Victory for continuity.
- This is Dusclops' redemption for the Verdanturf contest.
- Is that Curse?
- Wow, flashback to Harrison battle?
- Thanks for reminding me how much I hated the Advance Adventure theme.

Gaiash
26th August 2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for reminding me how much I hated the Advance Adventure theme.
I love that theme personaly. *Still searching for MP3 of vertion used in battles*

Thriller
26th August 2006, 1:02 AM
I wanted to see this episode but I don't know anymore.

The animation is sick...

CassSept
26th August 2006, 1:40 AM
Animation was horrible, even since preview i was like "WTF, whats with charizard`s eyes".
Anyway, battle was excellent. Even tough i knew charizard lost, i still was very surprised by HOW Jindai defeated him... and well, that was real class :)

Akaba
26th August 2006, 1:47 AM
Horrible Animation? Well, eh - is the art team new or is it one of the low on the scale teams?

And I haven't seen it yet...Sadly.

Gaiash
26th August 2006, 1:56 AM
I don't think the animation was horrible though it did look like fanart colored by the animators. Good fanart though, despite what some might think.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
26th August 2006, 1:57 AM

Uh...Okay...Theres not much I can say about this...besides....=/
The animation is getting weirder and weirder..

Akaba
26th August 2006, 1:59 AM
Hahahahahaha, Charizard looks like he came from the Godfather in that pic. His eyes and brow just make it look like it. And the Squirtle...one isn't THAT bad...

I need to see this episode, but I can't find this one this week. Ah, too bad for Akaba.

Feity
26th August 2006, 2:52 AM
blech, the characters were drawn teribly. But this episode redeemed itself with its kickass plot and battles, plus the ballad version of Battle Frontier. What the heck was that music in the latter part of their battle with Team Rocket? I liked how they hung up Ash's FIGHT poster during his battle with Brendon. Will add more to my post as I finish watching. <_<

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
26th August 2006, 3:56 AM
Charizard says,

"The animation in this episode sucks." (http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images/ag188/000258.jpg)

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Akaba
26th August 2006, 3:58 AM
In that picture he looks totally Chinese drawn, kinda like if Takeshi opened his eyes, all slitty and stuff.

Still, the animation must be hilarious.

rocky505
26th August 2006, 4:00 AM
well i wish they would put the pictures on anyway im betting charizard might bearly win and then he faints and so on.

Geodude
26th August 2006, 4:03 AM
No, Charizard lost to Dusclops.

Terrible animation in every part of the episode, except for the battle at the end, at least that was my first impression. The battle at the end had average animation, the rest was just pathetic. Getting past that (which we should be by now, repeated whining and complaining just gets annoying), the rest of the ep was great. Ash seeing the need to bond with his Pokemon again, especially since he brought back three this time instead of just one, was great. And seeing them get into a bit of a fight was fun too. I knew it wouldn't last though, those Pokemon have known each other for too long.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
26th August 2006, 4:04 AM
I have to give Charizard credit where it's due; that was a good fight. It fought hard and nearly beat Dusclops, and the both of them were exhausted anyhow. Dusclops didn't thrash Charizard completely, they both duked it out impressively.

If we had writing like this all the time, Charizard would be so so so much more tolerable =/ As it stands, though, this is a nice change, and it keeps Charizard from being overly-showcased. Congrats to the writers =)

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Akaba
26th August 2006, 4:07 AM
Yeah, good job by the writers. They have actually surprised the Pokemon community. Not all three Regi's in one battle...Charizard losing to...Wha'? A DUSCLOPS?! And now,

We all wait for it...

Bulbasaur kills Dusclops and shows us,

Bulbasaur > Charizard.

The end of nothingness
26th August 2006, 5:08 AM
were can i watch the video!!

.Bambi.
26th August 2006, 5:40 AM
Azami falling for Brock/Pewter Gym in peril
May's two main rivals heading off to Johto
And now Ash being offered a Brain position?

Man, if the writers wanted to totally get rid of the main cast, they REALLY could right now.

Other than that, the peisode was actually very good. The training was hilarious. Not to mention I did find myself getting a little choked up when Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle had a little group hug. Awwww. Charizard being beaten was amazing. Loves it. What I didn't love was the animation. Honestly, it was just shameful this episode. Who did it?

BattleFranky~40
26th August 2006, 5:57 AM
were can i watch the video!!
TV Tokyo maybe

Akaba
26th August 2006, 6:35 AM
There ya' go. Hope there isn't too little. It was a really good episode...I will post more thoughts later.

Mod Edit: Sorry, Discussion Rules prohibit pointing more than 2 pictures unless you're proving a point

Ashy Boy
26th August 2006, 8:23 AM
It was great to see Bulbsaur, Charizard and Squirtle back again, although I didn't like Team Rocket's overconfidence.

As for the battle against Brandon, I'm beginning to wonder if Ash has any chance at all at winning.

The Big Al
26th August 2006, 12:15 PM
Poor Charizard got owned. ST doesn't work on the ghosties. Oh well, we should have known the tiny titans would get the spotlight.

Jikkle
26th August 2006, 12:45 PM
Geez how many times will we have to watch Ash screw up against Ghost Pokemon :p

Akaba
26th August 2006, 1:20 PM
Grah, sorry about the mass screenshots; just wanted to give the people who beg for shots, get you know - the shots. Anyways, the episode was fun, fun, fun. It was hilarious.

I wish...I TOTALLY WISH Satoshi's Squirtle killed Haruka's. Just plain out killed it instead of playing with it. Dangit. The Charizard fun with him still burning Satoshi was a good ole' humor moment.

The Rocket scheme....?

Yeah, bored me.

The match was good, though. Dusclops is really strong; controlled the whole match except for getting banged up really once. It destroyed Charizard's Sesmic Toss.

Great stuff and surprising.

Good job writers...

BAD job animating team.

Rizardon
26th August 2006, 1:27 PM
Just when you thought Ash was a really experienced wise trainer.....he goes and let Charizard use a fighting type move against a Ghost-type.

Of course, since we are talking about Ash, he,ll win using his non-evolved pokemon against a Ninjask, Solrock and a bloody Regice.

Oh well, still looking forward to next week.

Crystal Mewtwo
26th August 2006, 3:16 PM
I have seen the episode and I must admit, it was good^^

Ash met his old mates again, it was sweet. They trained together.

Its bad, Charizard lost so fast but I must say, Brandon is really good. He is the strongest Gym Leader i have ever seen, he is VERY smart, kind and knows how to train pokemon. His pokemon are so strong and cool. He has great strategies. He is so damn sexy yay^^ I would like to battle against him.
Me: Oh no! I lost! I should get a punishment for this ;>
Brandon: Ok, no sex today
Me: ;_;

I'm worring about Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu. They are strong but I don't see Ash as a winner :/

gamefreak5034
26th August 2006, 3:37 PM
At first i wass pisse d that charizard lost, not only because hes ym favorite on Ashs team but mostly because i knew that he was gonna win his basic pokemon, but now seeing that hes using a ninjask and solrock, its possible and having actually seen the ep, charizard actually lost reasonablely, it was ash who was stupid using all the wrong moves

Ash6K
26th August 2006, 3:44 PM
It was great to see the Kanto trio once again. Ash remembering the good old days was a touching moment. But after seeing this episode and hearing about the next...I realized that it was disappointing to not have a 6 vs. 6 battle when there could've been one.

Akaba
26th August 2006, 3:49 PM
No, there couldn't...

They only had two episodes for Jindai.

To fit SIX matches in there...yeah, they only got one and flashbacks/building houses/Team Rocket scheme in this one. So yeah,

4 vs. 4 is too much...

Shiny Ho-Oh
26th August 2006, 3:52 PM
The episode was cool

Ash6K
26th August 2006, 3:53 PM
No, there couldn't...

They only had two episodes for Jindai.

To fit SIX matches in there...yeah, they only got one and flashbacks/building houses/Team Rocket scheme in this one. So yeah,

4 vs. 4 is too much...

But with episode AG 191 being the last episode, I was thinking that the slot for episode AG 192 could've been taken if the writers made a 6 vs. 6 battle in 3 episodes. But they didn't, so it's still okay to watch the Kanto trio again. So nostalgic imo.

Akaba
26th August 2006, 4:02 PM
That week may be a non-pokemon week for all we know.

Probably will be a non-pokemon week, as they gear up for a week off going into Shinou the next week over.

Kaasuti
26th August 2006, 4:18 PM
Weeee i watched this episode today....feel sorry for charizard :(.....and i hope pika does not defeat regice

Akaba
26th August 2006, 4:24 PM
Pikachu will.

Why?

Because Satoshi is not getting Haruka'ed and lose again.

Pika Hikari KT
26th August 2006, 4:57 PM
O_O *pukes at the terrible artwork*

At least it wasn't Destiny Bond. Mean Look/Confuse Ray/Shadow Punch...yeah, that's a surefire way to win against such a powerful Pokémon!(I'm not being sarcastic) I'm sure seeing Char, Squirtle, and Bulba again will balance it out somewhat.:)

EmbersBackUpSinger
26th August 2006, 4:58 PM
Yes! I cant wait to See this in the USA!

Shift
26th August 2006, 5:19 PM
I have a question: did they observe continuity and have Jenny with the same symbol on her hat tat she had in the Squirtle Squad ep?

Gaiash
26th August 2006, 5:38 PM
I have a question: did they observe continuity and have Jenny with the same symbol on her hat tat she had in the Squirtle Squad ep?
They did. I just checked the Johto episode "Love Pokemon Style" where Squirtle returns for the Johto League and yep Jenny has the same star.

Juputoru
26th August 2006, 5:53 PM
Weekly commentary crap, away!

-The ep opens with Prof Oak giving Ash his Bulbasaur, since Ash is apparently too lazy to get it himself(or perhaps the transfer system needs Oak around for some reason?).
-Bulbasaur then greets Pikachu, standing on its hind legs as it apparently has developed a sudden tendency to do throughout the ep.
-Then comes Squirtle riding along with Jenny(on a motorcycle, for those who are highly forgetful or need everything spelled out for them), who meets up with Bulbasaur(still on its hind legs - is that a trick Oak taught it or what?) and Pikachu and the old "hey how you doing have the humans given you any good Pokefood lately" stuff happens.
-After Brock gets the obligatory ear-pull, Oak looks to the sky. Is it a bird? A plane? A meteor crashing down to destroy them all? No, it's...
-Charizard! Oddly drawn at that(you know it's bad when *I* notice it!). Ash asks if it's doing well, and then it nods and we get the obligatory Flamethrower.
-You all saw it coming...the meeting of the Squirtle! They Water Gun each other since that's apparently what Squirtle do upon meeting each other(May's Squirtle does double-duty and practices its levitation technique), and we get a clear shot showing that yes, May's Squirtle IS smaller than Ash's. (gasp! shock! horror! revelation! exlaimation marks!)
-Ash apparently decided to go camping with only himself and his Pokemon. Why? I have no clue! Go find someone who understands Japanese for that, eh? Well, Oak said a bunch of crap about trainers and Pokemon and feelings so I'm guess that the reason's an exceptionally corny one. Which promps Max to mimic Jindai for some reason(at least I got a good chuckle out of his facial expression!).
-Joy gives Ash some cookies(crack...er, I mean...okay, fine. I'll steal from Chatsy's pic commentary AND I WON'T BE ASHAMED! >O). This makes Ash's Pokemon happy, and when 'zard's happy, it FLAMETHROWERS. Resulting in Ash cursi...er, being unhappy.
-Out in the middle of nowhere, Ash finds some conveniently placed logs and has Charizard throw them into the air and Bulbasaur cut them into more manageable pieces with Razor Leaf(them leaves be STRONG) while oddly dramatic music plays. The Pokemon catch them(aside from Squirtle who was too smug to catch its one correctly. Remember kiddies, if you're smug, YOU LOSE!), make them into a square border, and then collect bedding(aka "leaves") uplifted by Squirtle's Rapid Spin.
-Once the bed's made, Charizard can't help but PILE DIVE INTO THE LEAVES, resulting in a fair number of them forcibly leaving the bed. This pisses Squirtle off, who Water Guns the Zard, who angrily goes over to the Irtle(...hmm, doesn't work that well does it?), who along with the Saur jump back, who with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin and the RAH RAH RAH. Bulbasaur sends a Vine Whip Charizard's way despite Ash's protests, but the Zard ain't taking that and it jumps out of the way, resulting in a grave mistake. Pikachu is hit with the Vine Whip. Pikachu Iron Tails the Zard, resulting in a stand-off and Ash telling them to CUT THAT THE **** OUT, which earns him nary but a Flamethrower. Which of course hits Pikachu too, and this time it's REALLY ****ING ******. Hunching its back in a catlike manner, it gets REALLY SPARKY before SHOCKING THE **** OUT OF EVERYONE ELSE.
-With the bed re-made and everybody not trying to kill each other, they decide to find some FOOD! Ash starts to tell Bulbasaur to get the fruit down from a fruit tree they found, when...THE ZARD HAS WINGS OF STEEL! They work quite well for getting fruit down, and Ash is impressed with them even aside from that.
-With their food collected and the sun setting, Ash has Charizard light a fire(since when do berries need cooking?), and after the obligatory "oops too much fire heh D:" incident(Bulbasaur's standing on its hind legs again for some reason), Charizard gets a nice fire going by sending out the puniest ember possible. Which also prompts the ballad version of Battle Frontier to start playing.
-We then get a series of flashbacks showing how Ash got these Pogeymans, with a bit of artistic license since they reanimated them - Charmander's leaf used to be one leaf but is now four, Charizard fought Articuno in a building but is shown fighting it on an open patch of dirt(and with Ash in his Kanto clothes?!), most notably.
-We then get a brief series of shots showing what Ash did over a span of two days. Nothing terribly interesting.
-TR find Ash, and blah blah blah plot to get Pikachu yadda yadda...traveling ramen stand? Ash takes this in stide(hey, apparently trucks with ramen stands in the back are the hip new thing!) and goes to order something. TR feigns not having the electricity to power their ramen stand or something, which...well, YOU KNOW. They then back up(in a foresty mountainous area? Isn't that dangerous?) and we go through the OMG TR thing we all know. And possibly love.
-TR's truck transforms into...a metal Meowth balloon? ...**** PHYSICS!
-Ash and Po.(pun is both intended and horrifyingly awful) give chase, and...omg Razor Leaves don't work! Flamethrower heats up the metal but not much else, and Water gun does all of jack ****. But Ash remembers something he(or rather, his Pokemon under the guidance of Noctowl) did once upon a Johto filler and has Charizard and Squirtle heat up and cool down the balloon in rapid succession, evenetually weakening the metal enough for it to crack and be destroyed by a Razor Leaf. Thems got TEAMWORK!
-Pikachu jumps out of the balloon(why didn't it try that before?) and Ash catches it. Then Ash orders the dreaded COMBO ATTACK against TR, which gives us more amusing expressions(sure have a lot of those today!) and a random explosion(EVERYTHING EXPLODES PEOPLE!). TR blasts off, with the only notable thing being Manene's "¦P" expression. Idn't et KOOT? Oh, and Jessie eating ramen. THEY ACTUALLY HAD SOME ZOMG?
-Ash and Po. celebrate, but...Charizard SENSES something! It's...it's...
-Mr. I Need a Hug! He compliments Ash on his Pokemon's combinations, Ash tells Jindai that these critters are his first Pokemon(other than Pigetotto and Butterfree, of course!), and Jindai tells Ash that their next match will be a four on four!
-Ash and Jindai arrive back at the Pokemon Center where everyone's waiting for them(was someone looking out for them via binoculars or did they just stand there for three days?).
-Inside the center, Ash find out that if he wins HI KAN B A BREIN 2!!!111 And...Ash and Co had no idea that Scott owns the Battle Frontier?! Who did they THINK he was, a random peon of the owner?
-After all this information, Ash settles into a ":O" face, before blocking it all out with "I HAVE TO BEAT JINDAI N E WEI!". Oak offers a haiku(with Max butting in at the end), and the scene shifts to the Pyramid, whose top opens BECAUSE IT CAN.
-Ash has gotten himself a small audience of eight by now, and the FIGHT! poster is hung below them(yay for continuity!).
-Jindai sends out Dusclops, Ash sends out Charizard, Joy and Jenny comment on their types, and Brock pops up behind them before realizing that he can't decide which one to hit on.
-We're treated to a rendition of one of the games' battle themes as the match starts and blows are traded. First a clash of firey moves, then a Steel Wing thwarted by Zard getting SHADOW PUNCHED IN THE FACE.
-Charizard finally connects with a Dragonbreath, but Brandon orders a Mean Look, which doesn't do anything...for now. and when Charizard goes in for another Steel Wing...bam! Confuse Ray! (or in this case, Confuse Sphere. Oh heck, let's call it Suspicious Light since that's what makes sense to the people making this series)
-ASh tries to cure that by recalling Charizard, but...it dun work! The audience comments on this(Brock's still behind Jenny and Joy despite having been pulled away by Max earlier)
-Charizard keeps getting the smackdown, but after Ash shouts at it enough times it comes to its senses and a tune I haven't heard in quite a while plays - the orchestral version of Advance Adventure!
-More blows traded, Zard goes for the Steel Wing again and Dusclop tries the old hang-onto-the-wing-and-attack trick again, but...NUH-UH! Charizard goes into a Seismic Toss...but Dusclops vanishes from its grip! Brock brings up the issue of Fighting attacks not working on Ghosts(since Ash apparently forgot). Dusclops Shadow Punches Charizard, resulting in the latter landing on its head and thus being KOed and receiving the undignified treatment of SWIRLY EYES.

Gaiash
26th August 2006, 6:55 PM
Juputoru, that is probably the funiest guide I'ver ever read.

CyberCubed
26th August 2006, 7:05 PM
This was a great episode.

The Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard scenes were both nostalgic and heartwarming. Ha, this episode felt like blatant fanservice to the fans who started watching back in 1998 and I loved it.

The animation could have been a little better but the music and the story made up for it. I loved how they actually made it look like Charizard was going to win, giving us flashbacks of its battles against Blaziken and Charizard, only to have the shocker of it losing to Dusclops.

That was truly my favorite part of the episode, the writers threw a perfect plot twist at us. Nice to see them break away from the tradition of Charizard winning the match for him EVERY time he shows up.

I've been waiting since the beginning of Battle Frontier to see Ash's Squirtle again, and I finally got my wish! :D The scene with it playing with May's Squirtle was also something I was hoping for, thank you, writers! :D

Brandon is truly the strongest opponent Ash has ever faced, and the Pokemon he showcases are great.

If this is the end, this is a fantastic way to go out. Although I hope to keep watching in the future, this is at least a great way to end AG and the series in general.

Let's just hope the writers don't screw themselves over in the future.

Origamigryphon
26th August 2006, 8:57 PM
What. The. Heck.

Seriously, browsing through the pictures of this episode, I was asking myself this many times. In some pictures, Pikachu looks freaky, as does Charizard. When did Bulbasaur start standing on its hind legs so much? Why didn't it use its vines to carry the logs? Have the regular pokemon animators been fired for cheaper animators? Because this episode looks like serious crap. Maybe when I actually watch it and see the nostalgia in it, I'll like it better, but man, I wish they would kick it back into gear and make the pokemon look how they're SUPPOSED to.

S.Suikun
26th August 2006, 10:39 PM
Different episodes have different animation teams. This episode introduced a new team that had not previously done an episode. Needless to say, they did not prove too competent.

Honestly, I thought the training segment was really boring. I didn't find the antics between the Pokemon very funny, and the TR battle totally sucked (and I mean more than usual).

Geodude
27th August 2006, 1:56 AM
Nobody's mentioned this one funny scene yet...when Ash and Brandon sent out Charizard and Dusclops, Jenny and Joy commented on them being Fire-type and Ghost-type. Then Brock popped up and said something about Jenny and Joy being Beautiful-types. XD XD

GreatLiver
27th August 2006, 3:46 AM
I just wish the flashback animations could have actually been the real animation because they didn't serve as sentimental this way and they were also just wrong. Charizard didn't battle Arcticuno in a field

Night Avenger
27th August 2006, 4:00 AM
I know why Bulbasaur stands on his hind legs! Its simply a complex of being the only Kanto Starter walking on its fours :D

S.Suikun
27th August 2006, 4:09 AM
What I want to know is how Bulbasaur was able to catch the log with his walking hands, but Squirtle wasn't able to do it with his regular hands. Would've made far more sense the other way around.

The Great Butler
27th August 2006, 4:18 AM
I rather liked the way Dusclops was drawn in this episode, actually (/random)

CaptainBrain
27th August 2006, 4:59 AM
What's with the Bulbasaur standing on his hind legs? Anyway, I loved the Ep guide, Juputoru.

CyberCubed
27th August 2006, 5:10 AM
Is there some law that states Bulbasaur can't stand on his hind legs?

Bwuh?

Almighty Zard
27th August 2006, 7:14 AM
i swear the more i look at the pics and next weeks preview it reminds me of the 8th gym battle from Hoenn against Jaun, heck we even had a similar occurance with someone being unexpectedly taken down that was thought to pick up a win. Look at it.

Grovyle vs Luvdisc
Charizard vs Dusclops

In both fights Ash's pokemon got beaten when they were expected to either win or be called back, but did anyone see their losses coming, no they didnt, and for the record with Charizard people had either expected it to be DB'd or called back, not lose directly.

KuwabaraTheMan
27th August 2006, 9:11 AM
Lizardon losing was a huge shock. Overall, it was a good episode, with great musical scores.

Next week is the payoff, and without Lizardon around, it will be different for sure.

Gaiash
27th August 2006, 11:26 AM

Bwuh?
Still looks cool, and I'm not just saying that because Bulbasaur is my favorate Pokemon.

What I want to know is how Bulbasaur was able to catch the log with his walking hands, but Squirtle wasn't able to do it with his regular hands. Would've made far more sense the other way around.
Because Squirtle closed its eyes so he had no idea the log would land on the back of his head.

Ash's Charizard
27th August 2006, 12:52 PM
if you face facts ash could change pokemon anytime he wanted, if he had any sense he would of withdrawn charizard for some rest before dusclops finished him. Charizard has taken on a ****** clone of itself, a fire blasting magmar, an aerodactyl, a pidgeot,fought an undefeatable entei, fryed an articuno, taken down half of garys team including a blastoise and a golem and has fought a dragonite or two as well as 24/7 training with the strongest of its species.
So for the writers to take him out of the equation so quickly like that was extremely weird and not really much of a testament to its expierence and power. Despite charizard being out i still have some sort of feeling hell have a part to play before this saga with brandon is over, or is it just wishful thinking.
oh and i wouldnt be suprised now if squirtle evolves in this match, think about why they showed squirtle as being far bigger than may's possibly an indication for something or again is this just wishful thinking?????

Gravy
27th August 2006, 1:13 PM
if you face facts ash could change pokemon anytime he wanted, if he had any sense he would of withdrawn charizard for some rest before dusclops finished him.
Charizard was afflicted by the effects of Mean Look, meaning it couldn't be returned to it's pokéball.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
27th August 2006, 3:57 PM
There are times at a crisis when you call upon skills in which you never knew you had.

..Or something like that. I guess this was a crisis for Bulbasaur since it's been a king at Oaks having everyone obey him, he had to do something that would make him look good in front of Ash at a time like this. :p

BattleFranky~40
27th August 2006, 4:15 PM
I personally enjoyed the episode, if for nothing more than a huge nostalgia trip.

Juputoru
27th August 2006, 4:37 PM
Nobody's mentioned this one funny scene yet...when Ash and Brandon sent out Charizard and Dusclops, Jenny and Joy commented on them being Fire-type and Ghost-type. Then Brock popped up and said something about Jenny and Joy being Beautiful-types. XD XD
So THAT'S what he said? XD Makes sense since Brock says those sorts of things to female Beautiful-types.

My main issue with it is that this is the first time Bulbasaur has done that in TEN YEARS. Why show it like that now when every other time it's shown up it's ALWAYS been on all fours? I suppose there's some vague precident for it from Ivysaur's RB sprite, but isn't it a TAD late for that? It'd be like Squirtle going around on all fours - sure it's possible, but it'd be strange since it never did that before.

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th August 2006, 4:39 PM
Atleast this episode proves Ash's bulbasaur is a girl....

no wait, we have to check the DP sprite first....XD

Michael Lewis
27th August 2006, 9:46 PM
Hey great episode summary from Juputoru.

By the way any summary on what happens in the next episode.

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th August 2006, 9:47 PM
The battle continues, and Pikachu is frozen. We have a preview of it now, you know...

Judai Yuki
27th August 2006, 11:14 PM
Thats some strange training they got there.

-Judai

Pika Hikari KT
28th August 2006, 7:08 AM
My main issue with it is that this is the first time Bulbasaur has done that in TEN YEARS. Why show it like that now when every other time it's shown up it's ALWAYS been on all fours? I suppose there's some vague precident for it from Ivysaur's RB sprite, but isn't it a TAD late for that? It'd be like Squirtle going around on all fours - sure it's possible, but it'd be strange since it never did that before.
It is possible for Bulbasaur to do that according to Ivysaur's R/B dex entry; but ironically, Ivysaur's sprite in the same generation has it doing just that even though it's supposed to lose that ability to go biped!XD Besides, Bulbasaur's first animé design had really stubby hind legs.:p

And if Squirtle suddenly went quadraped, it'd be even more like a Koopa than it is now! ...Well, the Troopas of old anyway.XD

S.Suikun
28th August 2006, 7:33 AM
Technically, aside from a crappy filler in mid-Hoenn, we haven't even seen Bulbasaur do anything in over four years. It could have very well been practicing a balancing act at Oak's. Ya know, so Heracross wouldn't notice him as easily.

GSC Trainer
28th August 2006, 5:29 PM
Everyone who said Charizard got owned is either lying about having seen the episode, or is a close-minded anti-Charizard fanboy >.>
He definitely put a good fight, and lost in part due of Ash's screw up. Who uses a fighting-type mode against a ghost Pokémon? -_-

And to those who complain about Charizard being "overused and overpowered": He is Ash's most powerful Pokémon, so the writers decide that he should participate in the big battles. We got awesome battles during with fights against Blastoise, Blaziken and Articuno. They wanted to give us awesome fights, and there wasn't other way around to do it unless they used Charizard (not to mention that he didn't win all of its fights). These wasn't other way to defeat an Articuno! He is a legendary Pokémon, for pity's sake! They needed to use Ash's stronger Pokémon, and also it had to have advantage of type! Who else could have won against it? Pikachu? That would make Pikachu even more anonnying. Also it is seems too forced that a unevolved Pokémon such as Pikachu would defeat strong opponents such as Dragonite (as he did in the Orange League finale). I don't see you complaining about Pikachu. Oh, I guess I know the answer. You guys are probably some of those childly Pikachu fanboys who think Charizard steals all the glory -_- Still I liked how sometimes the writers come up with shocks like this one of Charizard losing to a Dusclops.

CyberCubed
28th August 2006, 5:37 PM
Sometimes physical attacks can hurt ghosts. Didn't you see Glalie headbutting Misdreavous in the Hoenn league?

GSC Trainer
28th August 2006, 5:50 PM
True, but sometimes the anime doesn't make sense. And Ash still screwed it up. He already should know that such moves don't affect ghosts, especially after his match against Agatha. Then again, we have seen electric attacks knocking rock-type Pokémon so you may be right about it not being entirely Ash's fault to not know it.

Dreamcoat
28th August 2006, 6:32 PM
Then again, we have seen electric attacks knocking rock-type Pokémon so you may be right about it not being entirely Ash's fault to not know it.

It's Ground PKMN an electric attack has got problems with, not a Rock PKMN.

Just so you know ;)

Gravy
28th August 2006, 6:50 PM
These wasn't other way to defeat an Articuno! He is a legendary Pokémon, for pity's sake! They needed to use Ash's stronger Pokémon, and also it had to have advantage of type!
And what, exactly, was stopping them from using the proper battle factory rules in the first place? We didn't need to have that Charizard vs. Articuno match at all.

Also it is seems too forced that a unevolved Pokémon such as Pikachu would defeat strong opponents such as Dragonite (as he did in the Orange League finale).
TOTALLY ignoring the fact that Dragonite was weakened by a combination of Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros' onslaughts beforehand, of course.
Pikachu defeating a severely weakened Dragonite (which was pointed out numerous times in the episode itself) is hardly unbelievable. I don't get why so many people seem to have a problem with that match. It's like they all ignore the events before Pikachu finished it off.

I don't see you complaining about Pikachu.
Where have you been? People ALWAYS complain about Pikachu hogging the glory :/

Geodude
28th August 2006, 11:33 PM
C&Ped from Bulbagarden:

The Seismic Toss thing wasn't "retarded" or a "rookie mistake". Dusclops had been in a solid state the whole time for one thing, so it hadn't even demonstrated an ability to go transparent yet, and for another, Ash has never even used a Fighting attack against a Ghost type before.

Rizardon
29th August 2006, 3:29 PM
Ash probably didn't even know Seismic Toss was a Fighting move...
He just considered it a move to finish off every enemy when using Charizard.

I was sorta dissapointed in Ash making a mistake like that just when i started
considering him to be a excellent trainer..

Ash and the writers suck!

Gaiash
29th August 2006, 6:06 PM
Ash probably didn't even know Seismic Toss was a Fighting move...
He just considered it a move to finish off every enemy when using Charizard.

I was sorta dissapointed in Ash making a mistake like that just when i started
considering him to be a excellent trainer..

Ash and the writers suck!
Makes sence. For one thing there isn't a bar saying "Seismic Toss. Type: Fighting"

He is a good trainer but hes so used to having Charizard finish its challenging apponents with that attack.

Absol_utely
31st August 2006, 10:33 PM
This has to be the prelude to one of the best episodes ever!
I loved the fact that Ash's powerhouse was beaten by dusclops - and i agree he was asking for a loss after articuno, but i wanna know exactly what attack charizard used? It looked like dragon rage but i dunno.
Also what did dusclops use to defeat him? Mean look/Destiny bond?

Can't wait for squirtle and bulbasuar to kick butt!!!
Have you seen the preview? Pikachu gets frozen solid by regice...:o

Flamez
31st August 2006, 11:23 PM
That was Dragonbreath by charizard.
Dusclops finished charizard off with Shadow Punch.

Pretty much everyone has seen the preview for the episode as a matter of fact it aired today and Ash won the match. Here's the results:
Bulbasaur vs. Dusclops- Bulbasaur wins
Squirtle vs. Ninjask- Squirtle Wins
Squirtle vs. Solrock- Solrock Wins
Bulbasaur vs. Solrock- A draw
Pikachu vs. Regice- Pikachu wins.
Ash gets the final symbol and refuses to become a brain and is entered in the Hall of Fame.

Geodude
1st September 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm surprised nobody's made a "Ha! Ash refused a brain!" joke yet. :p

Ash6K
1st September 2006, 3:10 AM
Too bad the writers didn't make this a three parter with six on six battle...that seems more "grander" imo but the Kanto trio and Pika winning the Kanto BF makes sense. Overall, this episode and the one after this had really good battles.

Akaba
1st September 2006, 4:20 AM
They couldn't, they have to get D/P on the road before the game, so yeah - they had no choice to create a two-parter.

Aldrius
1st September 2006, 6:48 AM
How did Pikachu beat Regice?

If it's not one wuber, it's another...

Serebii
1st September 2006, 10:38 AM
Could you PLEASE not discuss episodes which are released later than this episode in this thread

Come on...its a simple bloody rule thats always existed. FFS

GSC Trainer
5th September 2006, 4:30 PM
And what, exactly, was stopping them from using the proper battle factory rules in the first place? We didn't need to have that Charizard vs. Articuno match at all.
Geez. Some people just love to complain -_- We got a awesome battle. How many times do you see one of Ash's Pokemons beating a legenday??? And yet, instead of being sattified by getting such an awesome battle, some people just whine about Charizard stealing all the glory _-_

Where have you been? People ALWAYS complain about Pikachu hogging the glory :/
I mean, I have never seen any of the Charizard flamers complain about Pikachu. So I guess they must be all Pikachu fans who can't stand Ash winning battle with any Pokémon besides Pikachu, and also hate non-cute Pokémons _-_

C&Ped from Bulbagarden:

The Seismic Toss thing wasn't "retarded" or a "rookie mistake". Dusclops had been in a solid state the whole time for one thing, so it hadn't even demonstrated an ability to go transparent yet, and for another, Ash has never even used a Fighting attack against a Ghost type before.
You're right. But if you want to become a Pokémon Master, you should study a lot about Pokémon, their weaknesses and ressistances. So I still blame Ash for making that mistake.

battlemaster123
10th February 2007, 2:08 PM
i hate Pikachu winning all the good battles

HoennMaster
10th February 2007, 3:37 PM
Now Officer Jenny has a new voice, again.

weavile/perap eater
10th February 2007, 3:56 PM
it kinda seems like team rocket knew they were on tv because they stole pikachu and they knew they were in the 9th season

WaterDragon trainer
10th February 2007, 3:57 PM
This episode was great. It was awesome to see Ash’s Squirtle again as well as his other old pokemon. It was funny when Ash’s pokemon were all fighting each other in the beginning. It was cool to see Charizard having already known Steel Wing. I thought the whole “flashback” thing was cool, but Team Rocket spying REALLY killed the moment. Also, Team Rocket blasting off was one of the funnier ones (notably the attack combo and Jessie having the noodles all to herself). It was cool to see a Mean Look in the anime as well as the Mean Look/Confuse Ray combo. The battle so far is awesome.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th February 2007, 3:58 PM
I liked the song, and TR mentioning it's been 9 seasons (and mentionining the tenth!)

And Charizard getting pwned by a normal dude like Dusclops made this battle so much better.

Blah animation though.

TheBuddyBud
10th February 2007, 4:12 PM
dragonbreath is white
music is good

i believe 4 kids should have done these anniversary episodes.
PUSA could have done the rest

CaptainBrain
10th February 2007, 4:16 PM
The animation was very blah. However, the episode was good. The song was all right, and Charizard losing is pure gold.

I just have to wonder, why was Bulbasaur standing on his hind legs the entire episode?

CharizardMaster
10th February 2007, 4:17 PM
Dragon breath seems to change color in episodes it appears in. I could've sworn it was green. Nice episode, I was wondering how Ash thought he could get a win with seismic toss.

HoennMaster
10th February 2007, 4:38 PM
it kinda seems like team rocket knew they were on tv because they stole pikachu and they knew they were in the 9th season

They have done that many times before. Great battle.

Kuroshi
10th February 2007, 5:15 PM
This episode was a great watch. So Ash did forget his attack types, in the heat of battle again. (Classic Ash) I am looking forward to seeing the battle finish next week.

CyberCubed
10th February 2007, 5:34 PM
I thought the animation got better in the second half. The first half looked screwy, but when the battle started everything seemed to get better.

- Liked seeing Ash's Kanto trio return and play off each other

- Ash and May's Squirtle meet, however briefly it was

- TR broke the 4th wall, ha. I also liked how Ash said how many years its been, I always like when they mention the passage of time in the show. Flashbacks were nice except Charizard Vs. Articuno had Ash in his Kanto clothes! WTF! He just had that battle at the beginning of BF against Noland!

- I loved how they played the AG theme music, all the old Charizard flashbacks and Ash's shouting to make it seem like Charizard would save the day yet again...and then it gets completely owned by Dusclops. :D That was great how they did the exact opposite everyone expected, and Charizard returns to not even get a single win. Man, Brandon is brutal.

- Bulbasaurs voice was good. A little off, but still good. But man, I LOVED the new Jenny. Remember how horrible she sounded at the end of Advanced Battle when her old VA quit 4kids? Oh god that was awful!

Thank god the PUSA Jenny sounds more like the original Jenny from seasons 1-7. I couldn't stand the horrible "manly voice" of Season 8 Jenny.

All in all good episode and nice beginning to the end of Advanced Generation.

DarkWobbuffet
10th February 2007, 5:42 PM
The animation was very blah. However, the episode was good. The song was all right, and Charizard losing is pure gold.

I just have to wonder, why was Bulbasaur standing on his hind legs the entire episode?

Maybe it's gonna evolve into a Fushigisou like the ones in R/B/Y- *shot*

Isn't it nice to see Satoshi choosing his old starters is paying off? I'm sure glad he went through the trouble of calling them back for the umpteenth time instead of using his current team who took down almost all the Frontier Brains' Pokemon. :P

And dosen't Satoshi know only Haruka can use normal/fighting attacks on ghost types like Samayooru?

Almighty Zard
10th February 2007, 6:25 PM
I loved how they played the AG theme music, all the old Charizard flashbacks and Ash's shouting to make it seem like Charizard would save the day yet again...and then it gets completely owned by Dusclops. :D That was great how they did the exact opposite everyone expected, and Charizard returns to not even get a single win. Man, Brandon is brutal.

Why do people still treat his loss as a big deal, and please he was hardly owned, you want to see someone get "completely" owned go watch the Grovyle vs Luvdisc fight from hoenn again, that was an owning that can doned with being a "complete" one, Charizard at least got off some attacks before it went down, and thats good enough, sides i can see why they made it lose to begin with, it had already gotten a facility and legendary battle to itself so they obviously wanted to let the other two have thier time in the limelight, Bulbasaur proves this by taking down two guys next episode.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th February 2007, 6:38 PM
dragonbreath is white
music is good

i believe 4 kids should have done these anniversary episodes.
PUSA could have done the rest
.....anniversary episode would come on April first 2007.

CabbyFish
10th February 2007, 6:39 PM
I thought the animation got better in the second half. The first half looked screwy, but when the battle started everything seemed to get better.

- Liked seeing Ash's Kanto trio return and play off each other

- Ash and May's Squirtle meet, however briefly it was

- TR broke the 4th wall, ha. I also liked how Ash said how many years its been, I always like when they mention the passage of time in the show. Flashbacks were nice except Charizard Vs. Articuno had Ash in his Kanto clothes! WTF! He just had that battle at the beginning of BF against Noland!

- I loved how they played the AG theme music, all the old Charizard flashbacks and Ash's shouting to make it seem like Charizard would save the day yet again...and then it gets completely owned by Dusclops. :D That was great how they did the exact opposite everyone expected, and Charizard returns to not even get a single win. Man, Brandon is brutal.

- Bulbasaurs voice was good. A little off, but still good. But man, I LOVED the new Jenny. Remember how horrible she sounded at the end of Advanced Battle when her old VA quit 4kids? Oh god that was awful!

Thank god the PUSA Jenny sounds more like the original Jenny from seasons 1-7. I couldn't stand the horrible "manly voice" of Season 8 Jenny.

All in all good episode and nice beginning to the end of Advanced Generation.

I loved all the nostalgia stuff too. It really brought back memories.

It's always funny when Team Rocket brake the 4th wall (even a mention of them being in production season 10).

I liked how they played the wild Ruby and Sapphire music again. We havent heard that in a while. One thing that partially ruins the episode is the less than steller animation and heavily inacurate photo flashbacks. Darn animaters.

Bulbasaur's new voice was all right as well as Squirtle's (in some scenes, not all of them). I like Tara Jayne's performence of Bulbasaur better though. Didn't anybody notice that Jenny's new voice actress is the same as that of Siara from Pokemon Learning League? Can't remember her name though.

There was one more problem with the episode too: Sarah Natochenny. How long did she practice as Ash for this episode? Her performace as Ash was better than all previous episodes combined (no joke). She really buckled down, and tried as best as she could to act just like his old voice actress, and I think she did an amazing job bringing the character to life; he was like really living! From hanging out in the woods to Charizard's defeat, she really sounded like Ash, and I commend her to a job well done! She even gets the "scream" screaming right, a first for all of Battle Frontier. Well done!

All in all, great episode!

If I had to guess for Dusclop's new voice, it would either be Bill Rogers or Craig Blair.

I realized somthing. Bulbasaur standing on two legs is perfectly normal for its species. In its dex entry in some games (or somtimes its evolutions), it states that Bulbasaur and Ivysaur have the ability to stand on their hind legs.

jolteonjak
10th February 2007, 9:22 PM
I have to admit the Charizard/Dusclops battle was pretty good. I was hoping for more of Dusclops raping Charizard, but this'll do. So the mighty beast has fallen!

Ash should have used May's Skitty. Only Skitty can hurt a ghost with its "Mega-Super-Duper-Giga-Ghost-Hurting" Doubleslap.

It was cute to see the two Squirtles meeting up.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
10th February 2007, 9:43 PM
this episode looks pretty good and i cant wait to watch it

Almighty Zard
10th February 2007, 9:48 PM
I have to admit the Charizard/Dusclops battle was pretty good. I was hoping for more of Dusclops raping Charizard, but this'll do. So the mighty beast has fallen!

Charizard has already fallen a couple of times, but of course i knew an SBS was going to run in here and act like a five year old sooner or later.

Ash should have used May's Skitty. Only Skitty can hurt a ghost with its "Mega-Super-Duper-Giga-Ghost-Hurting" Doubleslap.

This battle does help prove that the writers were abit to lieniant to May on that account, hopefully Hikari never has that happen to her.

CyberCubed
10th February 2007, 9:54 PM
Bulbasaur standing on its hind legs bothered me when I saw this ep in Japanese, but now I didn't seem to care much.

Gaiash
10th February 2007, 9:57 PM
Maybe it's gonna evolve into a Fushigisou like the ones in R/B/Y- *shot*
*Puts away gun* What?

Isn't it nice to see Satoshi choosing his old starters is paying off? I'm sure glad he went through the trouble of calling them back for the umpteenth time instead of using his current team who took down almost all the Frontier Brains' Pokemon. :P
Actually this is only the 2nd time hes called back all 3. Charizard was called back quite alot but poor Squirtle has only been called back twice.

Also over half the Frontier Brains faced one of Ash's Oak'd Pokemon.

And dosen't Satoshi know only Haruka can use normal/fighting attacks on ghost types like Samayooru?
But its Charizards finishing move, I don't think Ash knew what type of attack it is.

Leona
10th February 2007, 10:17 PM
WOW i loved this episode

flyboy1308
10th February 2007, 10:17 PM
THis looks like a good episode. I saw the pictures and it looks good.

CabbyFish
10th February 2007, 10:22 PM
Well he must've considering:

(can't remember who said this, but I think it was Brandon)-"Fighting attacks have no effect on ghost types! (or something like that)"
Ash-"Oops, I forgot."

In conclusion, he must have knew it was a fighting attack since he didn't say something like, "Seismic Toss is a fighting attack?"

Lil Brother
10th February 2007, 10:57 PM
When I was watching the dub, I had completely forgotten everything that happened in the oriignal version aside from the basics for some reason so this was like a new episode to me. Dunno why.

When Ash commanded Charizard to use Seismic Toss, I actually said "Good call!" to the screen. It seemed like a fine way to take Dusclops's constant clinging to Charizard's wings as an advantage. I was taken aback when it was pointed out that Fighting attacks did nothing on Ghost-types; it just completely slipped my mind in the heat of battle (even though I was just watching TV). So, yeah, Ash wasn't really being an idiot here as much as realistic and actually pretty tactical. Seismic Toss is one of Charizard's signature moves, after all.

Brock really seemed to over-do it with the flirting in this episode during the battle. If I ever Jenny or Joy, I would have shouted "Shut up, you little perv!" and slapped him across the face a few dozen times. That really should happen sometime. :P

Aaaaack, Bulbasaur, stay on all fours. o.o It's so unnatural to see him on two legs.

The battle was brilliant. As already said, Charizard appearantly about to win everything then being PWNed was classic.

Also classic: Team Rocket breaking the fourth wall. Funny stuff.

Charizard really seemed to be a friendly bully during the camp-out half of the episode. Works well, Charizard should always be like that.

When Ash, Brandon, and the Pokémon got back to the Pokémon Center, everyone was standing in a single line and said something in unison. o.o Okaaaaay...

With that many people at the Pokémon Center, you would think they would watch the battle at the Battle Pyramid. It probably would have given this a much more epic feeling.

Everyone being surprised at Scott being in charge of the Battle Frontier was stupid.

I reeeeeaaaally like the dub's insert song.

Hooray for single-image flashbacks, even if some of them were inaccurate as I don't know what!

Great episode, aside from a couple odd things here and there. A 9/10.

jolteonjak
11th February 2007, 1:14 AM
Charizard has already fallen a couple of times, but of course i knew an SBS was going to run in here and act like a five year old sooner or later.

What's a SBS?

Anabel
11th February 2007, 2:35 AM
I liked this episode, for the most part. I'm so glad they brought back the original starters (kind of nostalgic, isn't it? XD). Only comments on the dub was Bulbasaur's voice. 'Dunno why, but it just sort of bothered me a little (can't beat Tara Jayne's Bulba, that's for sure). Still, this episode was refreshing, I suppose, compared to the last few.

DarkWobbuffet
11th February 2007, 3:32 AM
Actually this is only the 2nd time hes called back all 3. Charizard was called back quite alot but poor Squirtle has only been called back twice.

True but this should had been his Houen team's time to shine. We got enough of the Kanto three in season 1, 2, early 3, and late 3. It would had been more preferable to see Jukain, Heigani and Cortoise bounce back after all suffering losses by Jindai and Joi.

Also over half the Frontier Brains faced one of Ash's Oak'd Pokemon.

Exactly, over half is enough.

But its Charizards finishing move, I don't think Ash knew what type of attack it is.

Considering it makes physical contact with the Pokemon, and the fact that he's used it in almost every battle Lizardon has been in, I would think he'd know how it works.

I suppose that loss was what we call, a "plot contravance" battle. where Satoshi conveinently forgets how a move, Pokemon or technique works. It's a common practice done by the writers when they can't come up with a creative way for him to lose a fight.

ShinyLucario
11th February 2007, 4:03 AM
This episode was good. I'm happy to see Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard again.

chosen_one386
11th February 2007, 4:26 AM
My three points...

1. TR broke the fourth wall! Yay!!!

2. Charizard got pawned... Not yay, but still, really creative, writers.

3. COME ON GUYS, YOU SERIOUSLY DIDN'T KNOW SCOTT OWNED THE FREAKIN BATTLE FRONTIER?!

Final verdict: Very good episode. Can't wait till next week!!! 10/10

Knight_Ram
11th February 2007, 5:01 AM
This episode was a descent reunion. Nice and cheesy! Just the way I like it.

Seeing all of the Kanto starters was pretty cool! Brock was pretty crack up, since he wouldn't give up on trying to get Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny to be his, pretty funny! And Charizard owning Ash in the face, well worth it!

The walking through the mountain thing was a little...diffrent. But seeing Brandon was cool, but when he happened to want to have a four on four battle was a little on the coincidence don't you think? Funny how all of Ash's Pokémon tried taking each other down! Would have been nice to see who would have won. It was a great thing to see Charizard having a new move in its arsenal, its about time it had Steel Wing.

The good cheesy moment when Ash tried talking to his Pokémon and his Pokémon pretending like they understand him was a good in site for the people that haven't seen the original series.

I liked the scene were Ash and Scott had that little talk about the Frontier Brains, it was pretty cool! And then Scott telling Ash that he was the owner of the Frontier was really cool! Max saying that smart*** comment to Scott about the suit thing was funny but then May came along and put him in his place, which was good!

This episode had a good half way through episode battle with Dusclops and Charizard going at it with each other. I don't understand how Ash went up to the mountain to learn to be a better trainer but still never learned that Steel wing was his downfall in that battle! Even though there are those random explosions, it was an OK excuse to say that they were both powerful. But back to Ash being a stupid trainer, He learned what Mean Look does in the Johto series, yet he still tried to get his Charizard back to his Pokeball. And then to make it worse, he comes along trying to do a really good combo with the Steel Wing/Seismic Toss (Which was a good combo) and still fails to beat that Dusclops, oh well... his loss!

It was great to see through Charizards eyes and have Ash and Charizard "Become one" And Charizard stop being confused was good.

9/10 Good luck Ash!

Shift
11th February 2007, 5:35 AM
Jessie: We've been at it for 9 whole seasons!
Ash: Hey, you're Team Rocket!
Meowth: Yeah, and we will be 'true season 10!

Couldn't help grinning at that.

Ah, what can I say that you guys haven't; wonky animation but good story, nice VA work all around, Ash losing his trump card in round one. Plenty of stuff to think about. It really is the gang of 4; the last 4 eps of Advanced Generation, and I think it's done alright.

RageKaiser
11th February 2007, 5:35 AM
I haven't watched the dub episode yet(It's waiting in my DVR), But I've seen the japanese version.
I just have one question, Did TR use "Ramen" in the episode or did they switch it to "noodles" or something like that?

HoennMaster
11th February 2007, 7:03 AM
I don't see what the big deal is about TR breaking the fourth wall.

At least the broke it with a good line though.

Seviper009
11th February 2007, 1:43 PM
Wow, i loved this episode. It was great to see Ash's Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard again. Too bad for Charizard that he loses to Dusclops. I looking forward for the next episode.

Also the new voice of Jenny was the same voice as that of Cassidy from The Ole Berate & Switch...

~Battle Frontier~
11th February 2007, 2:29 PM
This was a great episode. It was nice to see Bulbasaur, Charizard, and Squirtle again. It really brung back memories from 1998-1999 and also memories from the Johto League. The only thing I didn't like about this episode were the artists. They had terrible art work in this episode, especially the beginning of the episode.

Ashy Boy
11th February 2007, 3:23 PM
How did Charizard, Squirtle and Bulbasaur sound during this ep?

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th February 2007, 3:24 PM
Charizard had the same voice as always, the Japanese one.

Squirtle and Bulba sounded about the same.

uber gon
11th February 2007, 10:06 PM
True but this should had been his Houen team's time to shine. We got enough of the Kanto three in season 1, 2, early 3, and late 3. It would had been more preferable to see Jukain, Heigani and Cortoise bounce back after all suffering losses by Jindai and Joi.

Exactly, over half is enough.

Considering it makes physical contact with the Pokemon, and the fact that he's used it in almost every battle Lizardon has been in, I would think he'd know how it works.

I suppose that loss was what we call, a "plot contravance" battle. where Satoshi conveinently forgets how a move, Pokemon or technique works. It's a common practice done by the writers when they can't come up with a creative way for him to lose a fight.

I'm still surprised that not a lot of people have the same view about the starters as you.

Yeah, I something get a weird feeling in my stomache when the writers make Ash STUPID when it comes to pokémon basics.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
11th February 2007, 10:13 PM
I Loved This So Much The Best Ever Episode Of Bf!

uncutpokemon
11th February 2007, 11:44 PM
I haven't watched the dub episode yet(It's waiting in my DVR), But I've seen the japanese version.
I just have one question, Did TR use "Ramen" in the episode or did they switch it to "noodles" or something like that?

they sadly called them noodles, but they didn't paint over them or anything, so it's not all bad.

oh it's now offical, PUSA has awsome vocal songs. did anyone else like that vocal song they chose during the flashback scene? i realy thought they gave us another great vocal song, just like the one in sweet baby james (although it was kind of hard to hear while Ash was talking) this settles it, PUSA has better vocal song choices then 4kids by far (i'll bet if it was 4kids, they would have used that "together forever" song from the 2BA master soundtrack, and mess with the scenes) and almost (but not quite) as good as the japanese song choices. good job PUSA keep it up. or better yet, just give us english vocals of the japanese songs in the future!

Dark Star
11th February 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't see why people are complaing about Ash using Seismic Toss...it was a good idea at the time since Dusclops was clipped onto Charizard's wing. If you just use the move and not look into its details, Seismic Toss really doesn't come to your mind as a Fighting Type attack...espescially the way Charizard uses it.

I liked seeing the Kanto trio again and how they handled them. The flashback was nice although some of it was...off. The vocal song was very nice and fit very well but did anyone actually understand any of the words to it?

ImJessieTR
12th February 2007, 12:02 AM
I was kinda surprised that Ash didn't tell Charizard to pull up when Dusclops disappeared. Surely Char can handle evasive maneuvers. It's not like he was only a foot off the ground or something. If all that valley did was teach him to power up flamethrower and give him steel wing, I would be really depressed. Ash can be a great improvisational fighter ... when the writers allow him to be.

Almighty Zard
12th February 2007, 7:59 AM

Many of the "AG team fans" were annoying around the time the episode was coming, never shutting up about "precious" Sceptile(no one ever brought up the team and if they did they were full of it, it was only Sceptile they cared about) getting vengence on Regirock and thinking it would give him some kind of holy greatness and allow him to surpass a certain other pokemon, (Yamato-san even admitted it to me) but as soon as the Kanto triad was announced to come back everyone changed thier tune and didn't want Ash to fight the regi's anymore.

I'm glad they did come back cause it shut everyone up.

I liked seeing the Kanto trio again and how they handled them. The flashback was nice although some of it was...off. The vocal song was very nice and fit very well but did anyone actually understand any of the words to it?

Yes for it is always nice to see pain inflicted on Ash, that's one of the reasons Neatoru is growing on me at the moment.

I was kinda surprised that Ash didn't tell Charizard to pull up when Dusclops disappeared. Surely Char can handle evasive maneuvers. It's not like he was only a foot off the ground or something.

It's called being shocked, it happens sometimes and the hesitation caused hurts in the end for whoever it is.

Overall i'm actually happy Charizard did lose, cause it shows he still has areas to improve , after all seeing him come back and only winning all the time would get stale, though once again he wasn't owned.

Korobooshi Kojiro
12th February 2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry for getting tired of a dude who has fought the final battle of two Leagues, helped win a couple of gyms, beat a ledgendary, and has appeared randomly from the sky just to save Ash and appeal the fans 0.o

Besides, Sceptile > Charizard, design wise. Sceptile just has a neater way of battling then ol' Charrie.

wobbanut
14th February 2007, 4:48 AM
This was a pretty good episode. It was awesome seeing Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard again, and of course I loved seeing Charizard flamethrower Ash in the face again (at least it's been funny since after his jerk period ended). Seeing May's Squirtle and Ash's Squirtle meet for the first time was just plain cute. :) The new voice on Bulbasaur was okay. It was also awesome seeing Charizard use another new attack. Too bad the episode had to end on such a bad note with Charizard losing, but least I know how this rematch with Brandon turns out. It was also nice seeing all the flashbacks to previous episodes too.

It was also interesting to see the twerps' reaction to learning that Scott is the owner of the Battle Frontier. I loved when Max asks if he's supposed to wear a suit and tie, and May says the owner can wear whatever he wants. LOL I also loved when Brock tells Officer Jenny that she's stolen his heart and he's making a citizen's arrest for larceny. :D I also did a double take when Team Rocket broke the fourth wall once again by saying they've been at this for nine seasons and will be around for season 10 yet. Gotta love those moments.

Overall, 8/10. Next week's episode should be AWESOME.

09Murphym
17th February 2007, 3:34 PM
Good episode! The moment i saw charizard use flamethrower and squirtle use watergun on the metal, i knew what ash was up to!

Sir Devious
18th February 2007, 5:55 AM
Charizard looked a bit weired at the begining, but he looked great twards the end. :) I thought it was cool how he stepped up and used steel wing to get the berrys, and it was very sad when he lost to Dusclops. It was pretty funny how Charizard started this huge fight between everyone. ^-^

Cobalt_Latios
19th February 2007, 6:35 AM
A pretty good episode IMO.

Some points:

- TR breaking the fourth with the following quote:

Jessie and James: After 9 seasons we finally caught Pikachu!
Ash: It's Team Rocket.
Meowth: And we'll still be in season 10.

- The animators doing a poor job on Charizard's face.
- Charizard being beat by a Dusclops.
- Team Rocket's balloon made of lead(lol, how can that even float)
- Charizard knowing Steel Wing(Overheat would have been much more effective against Dusclops. Nice job...)
- Great VA work.
- Technically, it should be Gathering the gang of three, because Pikachu is always with Ash, so he's already "gathered".

~C_L~

Medea
20th February 2007, 12:18 AM

I found that pretty interesting when I heard that. But for the most part, this was an okay episode. TRACEY WAS MENTIONED! Got to see Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard in action again. TRACEY WAS MENTIONED! And the first part of Brandon and Ash's battle was so cool (Charizard vs. Dusclops). And did I mention that they MENTIONED TRACEY!

One thing that drove me nuts (and it did in the Japanese version of course) was in the flashback of Ash's with Charizard, they showed Charizard fighting Articuno and Ash was wearing his OLD outfit. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ash in his AG outfit in that one?

Well, that's about it.

Darkness Angel
6th March 2007, 12:04 AM
It was good to see the original gang back together again, and if I was Ash I would have saved Charizard for later.

RedJirachi
18th August 2007, 10:26 AM
Team Rocket broke the fourth wall AGAIN.
They are this close to having a thread entitled:Instances where Team Rocket break the fourth wall

Where can I find a website containing every 4th wall breaking instance?

pipersgirl™
21st August 2007, 1:23 AM
This ep was a loving reunion.

Homsar36
25th January 2008, 5:20 AM
Am I the only one who noticed that for the first, and hopefull last, time Bulbasaur stands on his hind legs. It was like they were completely new Pokemon, not the one's Ash trained. I doubt Bulbasaur would be "excited" to see anyone except Squirtle because those two were the only one's who were really good friends.

Vilya
25th July 2008, 9:02 PM
Would anyone know what is the song played in the English dub when Ash and his Pokémon are around the fire and there are flashbacks?

piplup_777
25th July 2008, 9:19 PM
i liked seeing bulbasaur squirtle and charmander together again

and i loved the dance bulbsaur and pikachu danced

Torpoleon
5th October 2008, 3:19 PM
This was a great episode!If Charizard stayed in longer the outcome would have been different.

Tadashi
10th October 2008, 1:40 AM
Oh man, I was totally stoked to see Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle again. It was a total hugfest reunion! ^-^ It was also really funny to see them bicker, but working together again was much more rewarding. And seeing Ash's Squirtle with May's Squirtle? TOO CUTE!

I was actually kinda sad that they reanimated Ash's first encounter with each of them. Not that I don't appreciate how much better the art is now, it would've looked so much better with real, old skool flashbacks. But it was worth it to see everyone rallying together to save Pikachu.

Charizard vs Dusclops was kind of unexpected. It was great seeing Charizard battle again, but I just can't believe it lost to that ugly ghost D:

Blue Snover
11th October 2008, 2:41 PM
This was definetley the best Battle Frontier epsiode, i liked that he used his original pokemon for his final re-match.

It was nice to see Ash's Squirtle and Bulbasaur in the anime again.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
31st October 2008, 10:42 AM
nice to see some old friends again. Good episode!

pokefriend17
16th December 2008, 11:16 PM
Whats the song that plays in this episode?

TurtwigFan1
1st January 2009, 9:56 PM
I'm not sure.

This episode was awesome! Seeing Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard together again was just awesome and the episode was just fantastic. I loved this entire episode and always rewatch it!

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 5:28 PM
Why didn't he get Pidgeot? That made me so sad. It was his 2nd capture. :/

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:50 PM
it was good to see all those oldies again, i really liked this episode.

Blue Snover
10th March 2009, 1:56 PM
It was good to see how far they'd come since they all parted ways with Ash, Charizard seemed to have gotten stronger, since its battle with Articuno.

Ash-kid
10th March 2009, 2:00 PM
It was good to see how far they'd come since they all parted ways with Ash, Charizard seemed to have gotten stronger, since its battle with Articuno.

mabey Charizrd will return in sinnoh league,who knows!!

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 2:03 PM

i havn't seen that one yet, he might occur there maybe who knows.

Blue Snover
10th March 2009, 2:04 PM

I think if he gets a Monferno or Infernape, he may not need it.

I'd like to see some of the Johto team make a re-appearance, the last one that did if i remember right was Heracross.

The Black Ninja
10th March 2009, 2:05 PM
This were a great episode , Charizard had learned steel wing and bulbasaur and squirtel had become much stronger then they were last time. I still think that in this episode they could have brought back pidgeot since it were ash 2 pokemon

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 2:06 PM
I think if he gets a Monferno or Infernape, he may not need it.

it's a big possibility that might happen then, afterall they are the new starters.

Littlemyuu
3rd April 2009, 7:45 PM
Its always great to see Ash's old Pokemon back,
Bulbasuar, Charizard and Squirtle...i liked the battle ^_^

cg_25
24th June 2009, 10:13 PM
This contained everything I love about pokemon. I loved team rockets season 9/10 comment.

catzisconfus
15th August 2009, 6:46 PM
seeing bulbasaur, squirtle and charizard again really made me happy, it made the episode good.
i did notice the speech was wrong with the movements of their mouths sometimes...

i nostalgiad a lot !!

Surfer_Dude
20th October 2009, 10:53 AM
Good episode. It was good to see squirtle again.
But how could charizard get KOd by dusclops... :S

Shadow XD001
1st December 2009, 12:03 AM
This was a good episode. It was nice to see the Kanto Starters again. I wish Charizard, being the strongest (or second to Pikachu), would have gotten more battle team. It didn't even beat one Pok&#233;mon......

Lorde
2nd February 2010, 1:37 AM
I didn't particularly like seeing Ash's old Starters return just to compete against Brandon. I thought it ruined the purpose of having Ash travel with his Hoenn team to begin with.

I liked that they all (Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard) got their time on screen. I thought that if they had to appear, they might as well have had some time to bond with Ash before returning to their duties/training.

Kind of Filler since nothing big happened. This was most prep for Regice versus Pikachu I think. 6/10

john A.K.A. young LJ
30th May 2010, 3:20 AM
very cool to see those kanto starters together again. bulbasaur, charizard, squirtle and pikachu.....i hope they get involved in the sinnoh league

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 1:55 AM
I am glad to see Charizard, Bulbasaur and Squirtle again wanting to help Ash in the final BF. I think it makes sense for them to appear since the Johto/Kanto team had appeared in the Battle Frontier as well.

Although I don't think they should be in the Sinnoh League, his Sinnoh team should actually get to battle (Much like his Hoenn team got to. I think that's why the Kanto/Johto team appeared in BF or half of them because they did get to shine in Hoenn which is what Ash wanted, and I think it will be the same for Sinnoh).

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 2:33 PM
Charizard has gotten so strong now... hope it will do a great job in the upcoming battle

Painkiller2001
25th January 2011, 7:20 AM
Well, now this was certainly a treat!
We get appearances from three of Ash's old Pokemon.

Charizard is still it's same old awesome Flamthrowing self! (with a Steel Wing bonus!)

Bulbasaur likes to walk on it's hind legs a lot.

Ashs Squirtle is bigger than Mays. (no surprise. Seeings how Ash has had his longer.)

Max: I've always wanted to try that!
Me: o_o. (sarcastically) hahahahahahahahaha!!!

What was that piece of music that played when *game ref start* CHARIZARD snapped out of Confusion! *game ref end* ? I think I recognize it

G50
27th April 2011, 4:05 AM
This episode was cool. It was great to see Ash bring back Bulbasaur, Charizard, and Squirtle for a bonding/hiking experience to relive moments together. The momemnts together were awesome to see and at times very funny. It was cool to see that Charizard had learned Steel Wing attack. It was odd to see Ash forget that Dusclops cannot be hit with Seismic Toss, and Charizard paid the price for it. It was cool to see that Ash's Squirtle was bigger than May's Squirtle, which isn't surprising.

98/100

Swagga09
3rd May 2011, 5:58 AM
I loved that the original team came back but it still didn't feel "complete" without Butterfree and Pigeotto/Pigeot.... Just not the same..

Oh and Charizard losing was TOTALLY Ash's fault btw

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 4:45 PM
The most epic episode ever. The original team is back. I loved everything about this episode mostly in the mountains where they were making camp and Ash shared some memorie. 9001/10

TheSirPeras
7th January 2012, 12:51 PM
so good to see to see them 3 starters together again :)

Vernikova
3rd October 2012, 10:47 PM
I didn't expect Charizard to get knocked out of the fight so early. I guess that happens when plot comes into play.

thenightmareinducer16
4th October 2012, 1:51 AM
I agree that Charizard went down too easily. I also think Pikachu vs Regice could have been handled a bit better.

Still, this was a great battle!

Caseydia
18th December 2012, 6:26 PM
I loved that the original team came back but it still didn't feel "complete" without Butterfree and Pigeotto/Pigeot.... Just not the same..

Oh and Charizard losing was TOTALLY Ash's fault btw

Yes because Lord knows that if Charizard were to ever lose one single match that it will cause the end of life as we know it.:rolleyes:

diakyu
18th March 2013, 7:06 AM
So I was re-watching this episode and is it just me, or is there something wrong with the way the characters look in this episode?

Rohanator
28th March 2013, 1:45 PM
So I was re-watching this episode and is it just me, or is there something wrong with the way the characters look in this episode?

Just a relatively bad animation team, nothing more to it. I wish they would try to assign all important episodes to the best animators, the amount of fillers animated by the likes of Iwane is so annoying. But I guess it makes them more worth watching.

PokemontrainerY
9th August 2013, 3:03 PM
I LOVED the first half of this episode ...... It was a treat to see Ash’s Kanto Pokemon trio(Charizard, Bulbasaur, Squirtle) again, it really brought back the nostalgia of the Kanto saga. It's funny when Ash’s pokemon were all fighting each other at the beginning, I was surprised when Charizard was reaveled to learn Steel Wing.
It's a nice moment when Ash and his Pokemon are remembering their past experiences in Kanto, but Team Rocket spying ruined the moment. :(
Team Rocket managed to get Pikachu, but it's cool when Ash followed them on his Charizard.
Heating and Cooling the balloon by using Flamethrower and Water gun was a smart move, it worked very well and the Balloon crashed.
The combined attack of Charizard, Pikachu, Bulbasaur and Squirtle was awesome, Team Rocket really had to pay for what they did. xD
The second half of this episode was disappointing, Dusclops's Mean Look/Confuse Ray gave Charizard some trouble ..... and then Ash gave Charizard a stupid command of using Seismic Toss on Dusclops, which didn't work. :(
Dusclops uses Shadow Punch on Charizard and defeats him, then the episode ends with a cliffhanger.
Ash shouldn't have forgotten that Dusclops is a Ghost Pokemon.

zhixun
20th May 2014, 9:40 AM
Nice battle with Jindai although sometimes Satoshi's strategy has quite major flaws in my opinion. Lizardon should not have been taken out that easily. It is good that Jindai did not use all three legendary rocks into a 4 on 4 battle. Otherwise I think Satoshi has no chance to win because one is already quite enough trouble.

PokemonNation2000
23rd May 2014, 2:00 PM
Poor episode, honestly: one of the worst to come out of AG-- 67.5/100.

Animation is horrendous and off, so that's one thing.

As for the English dub, well, Sarah Natochenny as Ash in this one is just beyond horrible, and some of the lines they give her made it that much worse: literally the worst English voice Ash has had to date, tied with the one in "Gettin' Twiggy with It!" for me.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2014, 3:09 AM
It was a really nice moment when Ash is recalling how he met his old friends.
Yet, technically, two of his first Pokemon were Pidgeot and Butterfree, if we're going by final evos

Lorde
1st December 2014, 3:39 AM
I loved seeing Oak again and May's Squirtle's minor interaction with Ash's Squirtle was cute. I liked that Ash had a flashback to how he ended up with his Kanto Starters and TR was so naive to mess with Ash when he had Charizard with him tbh. I both screamed and giggled when Ash's Charizard lost to Brandon's Dusclops though. I blame Ash for that mistake.