PDA

View Full Version : Webmaster Discussion Suggestions

Mystical-Lugia
30th May 2004, 3:50 PM
Hey everyone, hope your enjoying the Webmasters discussion. It's so far proving to be a great place - with the odd advertising forum topic out of the way, we're doing well to make this place great :)

As you've already seen - we've had a "Website Hosts" sticky which has proved to be very successful. But there may be a few more stickies on the way. Delivering top notch help and fun. But before they're posted - I want YOUR verdict..

PiPikachu recently suggested having a "Free Online Gaming" sticky where users can post free gameing websites, and I could select "Great Games of the Week!" It sounds like a great idea, but I'll need your opinions on whether it'll work.

There may also be a free image host topic coming soon - but whether it happens is up to you. If you have any further ideas on what you'd like to see, post them here. Approve or just hate the above ideas? Make sure you let me know.

Suggestions are welcomed with open arms - so get posting ;)
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies I get.

Sankyuu LancET
30th May 2004, 4:01 PM
"Free Online Gaming" Sticky Rating:
This I highly agree on. This would be a great idea... I have a whole plethora of free gaming websites...and even an MMORPG...
8.5/10

"Image Host Topic" Sticky Rating:
This is absolutely necessary...with all the n0-*ahem*, newbs asking for image hosts, this'll be their saviour. Of course, I don't think I would be able to provide the best, but eh...
9/10

Carlos
31st May 2004, 1:47 AM
Sounds nice, specialy the image one. I have no suggestions on which other topics to add but this is a nice forum.

Nook29
3rd June 2004, 4:53 PM
Those sound like good ideas! I don't think much needs to be done here, but a few extras would be nice! ;)

Simone
4th June 2004, 2:52 PM
I like all those ideas, i'm the mod for Webmaster Discussion on PC. And so far ML, you are doing a fan bloody tastic Job ^^'.. Don't worry i won't steal your ideas :P. But the image hosting i think would be a great idea since alot of people like to host pictures on the website, but don't know the place to do it.

On the free gaming site of things, are you talking about like RPG game across the internet?

Drei Ikkagura
6th June 2004, 3:48 AM
We could have a thread that you can ask other people to affliate with other people of websites.That would spread the people that look at your website because with someone that has a good reputation affliates with a person who isn't popular,the person without popularity would have more people than usual viewing their site...

The online game:http://www.runescape.com/

Simone
6th June 2004, 12:04 PM
My little brother plays that game XD. Also, i think that would be a good idea. But i can't accept anymore affys. I already have enough. But to affy with me you have to get the same ammounts as hits as i do (about 600 unique a day).

The Admiral
6th June 2004, 2:17 PM
"Free Online Gaming" Sticky Rating:
This I highly agree on. This would be a great idea... I have a whole plethora of free gaming websites...and even an MMORPG...
8.5/10

You mean... you own them, or jsut know about them. I like both ideas, but the image-host topic will be a real lifesaver once my Walagata and Photobucket accounts fill up...

Sankyuu LancET
6th June 2004, 3:25 PM
Arashi, you misunderstood. I have a whole LIST of them XD

Mystical-Lugia
7th June 2004, 5:57 PM
Thanks for all your comments everyone, keep them coming! They're greatly appreicated :)

Due to popular demand, I'm going to open up an "Image Hoster" sticky any second now. Chances are by the time your reading this, it'll up. Remember - at the moment, you influence what comes up and what doesn't. If you have any other ideas that'll get the popularity of the Webby forum even higher. Post them here, I read all of the comments that are made.

Thanks again, and feel free to make as many suggestions as you wish.

Sobear FC3S
10th June 2004, 2:49 AM
I love the games sticky idea. I used to play a lot of them. Widdled down to like, two or three now, and that's even on an on-off basis. Sucks only having the internet at work, and trying to maintain a site as well as a job. XD

Nightwing
27th July 2004, 8:13 PM
i got a website www.bdome.net but it don't work i need a layout, background, button, banner, and something else i like the layout metel like vroad but different and i need it for free somebody help me

azngirlLH
31st July 2004, 12:19 AM
I was wondering, should there be a thread for search engines? 'Cause I really want to add mines to some few search engines... I added my site to google and yahoo, but I doubt they'll ever put it on.

Kamairie
16th December 2004, 3:49 AM
Maybe there could be a sticky thread for all the different websites of Serebii members. Don't have to be Pokemon . . .
It would save some of the 'Check out my site!' threads popping up. Also, one for staff requests may be helpful too.

Mr.DrSunnysock
21st December 2004, 2:51 AM
Hey everyone, hope your enjoying the Webmasters discussion. It's so far proving to be a great place - with the odd advertising forum topic out of the way, we're doing well to make this place great :)

As you've already seen - we've had a "Website Hosts" sticky which has proved to be very successful. But there may be a few more stickies on the way. Delivering top notch help and fun. But before they're posted - I want YOUR verdict..

PiPikachu recently suggested having a "Free Online Gaming" sticky where users can post free gameing websites, and I could select "Great Games of the Week!" It sounds like a great idea, but I'll need your opinions on whether it'll work.

There may also be a free image host topic coming soon - but whether it happens is up to you. If you have any further ideas on what you'd like to see, post them here. Approve or just hate the above ideas? Make sure you let me know.

Suggestions are welcomed with open arms - so get posting ;)
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies I get.

I myself don't understand why we can't post forums....

Kamairie
21st December 2004, 4:51 AM
I myself don't understand why we can't post forums....
Probably because THIS is a forum . . . T.T;

Virtual Headache
25th January 2005, 11:08 PM
huh, this thread is old but I have another suggestion:
what about a "tips on promoting your website/forum" sticky?

JKaizer
14th March 2005, 9:49 PM
How about we get a mod in here to actually trim down the useless stickies?

smiley
15th March 2005, 5:29 PM
Maybe there could be a sticky thread for all the different websites of Serebii members. Don't have to be Pokemon . . .
It would save some of the 'Check out my site!' threads popping up. Also, one for staff requests may be helpful too.
There would be no need for this board to exsixst if the Check out my site posts wern't here

Virtual Headache
23rd March 2005, 5:59 PM
I have anther suggestion:
What about an active mod? o_0

JKaizer
24th March 2005, 3:38 AM
I have anther suggestion:
What about an active mod? o_0
I couldn't agree more. This place is horridly modless. <_<

Drake
2nd April 2005, 7:59 PM
Not to mention during the purge, the mod is now a guest. >_>

JKaizer
2nd April 2005, 10:59 PM
Someone should go bump my thread in Site Discussion. >_>

JKaizer
8th June 2005, 6:27 AM
Hey, Dragonfree, you gonna rewrite the rules?

If so, reclarify the no forum links rule, and perhaps add forum portals to it? (Sites that just link to forums)

Virtual Headache
4th September 2005, 12:05 AM
Well, what about going through the free hosts and free image hosts threads and put all of them into one post, so members can find them more quickly.

A sticky with free scripts (newsscripts, CMS, forums, topsites..) would also be nice.

Jake Dragon
16th December 2005, 6:15 AM
There should be a thread where people who can free host others can post there services and people who want free hosting can find them.

Virtual Headache
16th December 2005, 12:53 PM
There should be a thread where people who can free host others can post there services and people who want free hosting can find them.
http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=9215
There is already a free hosts thread.
If people would offer hosting, they could just post it there.

Jake Dragon
16th December 2005, 1:36 PM
I have checked it, there are free hosts but no one has offered theirs.

Virtual Headache
16th December 2005, 1:42 PM
I have checked it, there are free hosts but no one has offered theirs.
There was actually someone offering free hosting, but it's closed now (http://serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=1415238&postcount=73).
From what I've seen most people here are only hosted on free hosts themselves and if they are not, they proably just can't afford hosting other people.

Guitar dude bill
23rd December 2005, 8:56 PM
If this is suggestions for the forum. I suggest a site check thread. So you can check if your site is ok. Like the signature check. Because my friend thinks our site isn't ok. But Could you make a site check please?

Dragonfree
24th December 2005, 2:14 AM
What's the point? o.o The sig test thread is there to ask so your sig won't get deleted and you'd lose your tags and everything. Here it won't hurt to just try and post it, and it may or may not end up closed.

Jetx
24th December 2005, 7:01 PM
However dragonfree, we're only allowed one thread a month, so if we post one and it isn't good enough and improves over the month we can't make a new one. So if we think it's good enough and it isn't, even if we improve it we have another month to wait. That goes to you both, that's why I'm not letting Bling make a thread about our site yet...

Guitar dude bill
7th April 2006, 9:28 PM
How about some webmaster contest/awards?

AgentChronon
26th July 2006, 7:10 PM
Um why in the world is post count off???

Mudkipchan
6th August 2006, 1:20 AM
This is the webmaster discussion thread right? For anything webmaster related?

Yeah well, is there a site with the name "Vermillion City" taken? I figured that would be a swell name for a poke site I'm making. Or how about "Raichu's Vermillion City"?

Trainer Rachel
6th August 2006, 3:23 AM
I would think that "Vermillion City" is taken, but I could be wrong...

AgentChronon
6th August 2006, 4:20 AM
If you want to make sure you have a name that no one else has, pick a name like Megapokeplushieland XD

Mudkipchan
6th August 2006, 5:18 AM
That name is waaay long, Agent. But it is a good choice.....

Yeah, Vermillion City DOES seem obivous that it could have been taken....

Some more ideas:
1. Pika Clan's Habitat
2. Raichu's Habitat
3. Raichu City

I suck at names......

AgentChronon
6th August 2006, 4:00 PM
Raichu City >>>>>>>>>>> all the other ideas you had.

The name Megapokeplushieland is supposed to be long dude... it captures the essence of the site.

Actually it was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Mudkipchan
6th August 2006, 6:10 PM
I don't see what theme the name gives it actually, but it's your choice.

Edit: Your site name, that is.

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 12:10 AM
It stands out from the crowd. No one else has a 19-letter long site name.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 1:33 AM
I see, well that's fine.

Hmmm, my site is underway. But what should my pokemon game guide section have?

In my G/B/R/Y section, I have the ideas for Walkthrough, Wild pokemon area's and Q&A pages for it's section. What other kind of guides shall I add-on?

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 1:58 AM
Gym leader battles? I dunno.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 2:02 AM
Those would be in the walkthrough section, but nice.

A few more freewebs question, since it only allowes 200 MB... does pages count as MB... and will has each banwidth resetting month starts, does that mean I get more MB or somethin?*duuur*

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 2:07 AM
Um... I don't know. What I do know is the 100 file limit only applies to stuff you upload, not web pages

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 2:19 AM
...So it's like I can have like... 50 pages' worth and it won't take up MB space... like that?

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 5:41 PM
No... it will.

Just if anyone talks about a 50 or 100 file limit, ignore them.

Mudkipchan
7th August 2006, 9:00 PM
Really nice?

Ok, now I just have about 200 million layout coding problems to fix now... x.x

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 9:14 PM
Have you seen the skeleton layout at the cave of dragonflies? Click here. (http://www.dragonflycave.com/freelayout.aspx)

Virtual Headache
7th August 2006, 9:53 PM
I think you didn't get the idea of this thread.
It's purpose is to post suggestions for this forum, whether you think there should be a new sticky or something else.

Please go back to topic now ;)

AgentChronon
7th August 2006, 11:02 PM
Again I say, why is post count off!?!?!?!

If it was on, I'd have like 200 posts...

Mudkipchan
8th August 2006, 12:57 AM
Have you seen the skeleton layout at the cave of dragonflies? Click here. (http://www.dragonflycave.com/freelayout.aspx)

I already have a template, but since I can't feature out how to put my own backgrounds on there.. then I used a different template.

Ok, back on topic.

AgentChronon
8th August 2006, 1:02 AM
I really want to know why post count isn't on!

Pokemon Element
9th August 2006, 5:44 AM
yeah, the post count thing is screwing with my head, i dont know how many posts i have, and it pisses me off :(

Deathborn_606
9th August 2006, 10:15 AM
Click on your user name and your post count should be above your profile.

AgentChronon
9th August 2006, 7:08 PM
I mean your post count doesn't raise in the Webmasters thing.

BlueEew
10th August 2006, 11:32 PM
It dosen't really matter about post count, I cannot see the point of blocking it on certain forums.

AgentChronon
10th August 2006, 11:48 PM
Me neither! >= (

It makes me look like a newbie!!!

Rufinito18
27th August 2006, 2:44 AM
My website is well under way (www.moogle-enix.webs.com)
You know, i'l give this little suggestion to every1. Something that helped me build a website. You obviously can't do it alone o.0. It's usually a whole lot of work. What I did, is I attached a forum to my website (something all website should do) and from there, we plan stuff for the website itself. For example, people who want to send me guides and stuff, post it in the forum. Really cool and it works. + its a great place to give feedback. If you want a forumhost, check out www.forumer.com
I suggest IPB but that's IMO. Unless u want vBulletin (But that cost money :( )

-JP
8th September 2006, 11:11 PM
To return to Space discussion, Free (French webspace system) allowed 10000Mo / FTP

It's very great for us, but if you've got more than 1600 each day, it's going to be difficult.. But it's the best service in France I think. :)

davidla
16th November 2006, 10:20 AM
Where could i learn about flash script, i'm have been search for hourss and couldn't find anything

RGdude
4th January 2007, 7:21 AM
Is it a good idea to make a Pokemon RPG now? I mean there are quite many on the internet, I am half way done with mine but it still needs some work (I am not talking about those Forum RPGs Reals ones like PokeCrater etc...).
Also is it a good idea (* wow again) to have a BitTorrent Tracker on a server with 10gb b/w and 200mb sace, I installed 1 but wanted to know. Thanks if you help me.

Lugia Tamer
17th February 2007, 1:55 AM
http://w3schools.com/flash/default.asp

davidla, is that what you meant?

Expert Evan
9th March 2007, 8:37 PM
Where could i learn about flash script, i'm have been search for hourss and couldn't find anything

Do you mean Flash ActionScripts? I just recently purchased a book since I need to make a website using Flash ActionScripts as a final non-thesis project for my master's degree.

Crepuscular
24th October 2007, 8:14 AM
While the moderators in this forum do a fine job purging threads that advertise forums, it seems to be all they do these days. There have been some excellent ideas in the form of discussion topics, free resources for webmasters that have been the products of this forum's moderation, yet they seem to have lost interest in these extras.

For example, the free resources for webmasters thread, the main list in the title was last updated in 5-23-2006. However, the most recent post in that thread that provides links to resources was posted on 10-3-2007. I'd just like the concept of extras to be revived and new ones to be made to flare this place up a little.

Nightwing
24th October 2009, 2:44 AM
Does anyone here have experience with PHP and MySQL, if so can you IM me on MSN legend23k@hotmail.dom or AIM rlegend23 or PM me.

An00bis
24th October 2009, 12:11 PM
I'd have to agree with Crepuscular. The section is pretty dead outside of the occasional good website to rate. Since the information presented is several years old a complete rewrite of the majority of the threads may be needed.

One Sticky in particular that's been bothering me is this one (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=101079). Outside of the extremely harsh air that the article has it does give some sound advice. I just can't relate to an article that repeatedly refers to a website as a " Stupid Site " and at one point blanantly states that they make better certain content then the reader ever possibly could.

Aside from that I feel that it doesn't really cater towards webmasters that are absolutely new at the trade which is what the majority of websites that are posted here are. A nice solid beginner's guide with the fundamentals would be extremely useful.

RedStarWarrior
24th October 2009, 5:17 PM
I'd have to agree with Crepuscular. The section is pretty dead outside of the occasional good website to rate. Since the information presented is several years old a complete rewrite of the majority of the threads may be needed.

One Sticky in particular that's been bothering me is this one (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=101079). Outside of the extremely harsh air that the article has it does give some sound advice. I just can't relate to an article that repeatedly refers to a website as a " Stupid Site " and at one point blanantly states that they make better certain content then the reader ever possibly could.

Aside from that I feel that it doesn't really cater towards webmasters that are absolutely new at the trade which is what the majority of websites that are posted here are. A nice solid beginner's guide with the fundamentals would be extremely useful.
I haven't had time to do anything to that effect, but if you'd like to work on one, I'd definitely sticky it.

nickthomos
12th March 2010, 5:34 PM
for better ranking good webmaster strategies is necessary..............

gerdonhanry
8th April 2010, 6:22 AM
Yes, I have already seen Website Hosting, It provides a short list of honest web hosting companies, to help you save valuable time that you'd otherwise spend on investigating companies that are... how should I put this... not entirely honest. These hosts deserve relevant notes of interest are present on the pages dedicated to each of them.

Disgruntled Goat
14th December 2010, 11:59 AM
I think there should be less sticky threads, cos there are loads right now. All you need are:
- Rules ("hold it right there" or "what you can't post here" merged into one)
- General tips/advice (merge chaos thread and other help threads)

And I guess this thread. If people need help they can start a new thread, that's what the forum's for, right?

quilava1
21st December 2010, 2:28 AM
lately, i've been seeing in the signitures of many members a picture of a woman with whipped cream bottles strapped to her chest area, spraying them in every direction. I see these as:
offensive
disgusting
perverted
weird
gross
odd
stupid
crazy
insane
odd
ect...
I would really like it if all the pictures were removed and banned because quite frankly, they're just wrong. I don't know if they are some prize for entering in a tournament or somthing but whether they're a trophy or not, I want them off the site!!! You're help would be most appriciated, but
I'm not sure i'll get it because SOME SITE REPS ( yes blue harvest, blue moon, harvest moon, whatever your name is, YOU!!!) actully have it IN their signitures. but regardless, I would love to see the serebii forums a whipped cream lady fee site.

robartking
23rd April 2011, 1:07 PM
Your work is really great. It is awesome. I like your information because It will be good for my work. Really I enjoy with your company. Some days ago my friends told me that your work is excellent so I prefer your work.

legend_trainer
6th August 2011, 3:43 AM
I think we should make a thread for all sorts of things a website should have in code, and then when it is done it could be merged and made into one thread that could be a sticky

ex:

site should have a 2-column layout with an external css file, a banner message (js) on main page, forum, and frame tags to left-side nav column, header, footer and a dropdown menu (made with js)

Mega Geranium
7th August 2011, 1:16 AM
I think we should make a thread for all sorts of things a website should have in code, and then when it is done it could be merged and made into one thread that could be a sticky

ex:

site should have a 2-column layout with an external css file, a banner message (js) on main page, forum, and frame tags to left-side nav column, header, footer and a dropdown menu (made with js)

Wait, so basically we give a description of something we like in layouts and say layouts should have it? o_O

legend_trainer
9th August 2011, 2:21 AM
not exactly, i was reffering to a final product (kinda). in the end is would be like (for example):

Serebii Webmasters' guide to a successful website v1:

To make a successful site you should have all of your logos, js files, css files, and includes in marked folders at the top public level of your domain. These files should be .htaccess protected to keep others from stealing your code. They should also have generic names to keep others from knowing what templates you might have used, ex: dropdown_menus.css, logo.png/logo.jpg/logo.gif, header.html, footer.html.

Your URL's should be labeled well. ex:
Instead of page2.html use aboutus.html

Use .htaccess to keep your site organized. Have mod_rewrite send people who type in .htm or .phtml or .shtml get sent to the .html file. Use file access rights to deny people from seeing files on their browser in file viewing mode (so they can only see the file when you use it on your site).

legend_trainer
9th August 2011, 2:32 AM
(Sorry for double posting, i can't put the entire thing in one post on my phone)

Don't use more that one script (js, php, vbs, etc.) per page, it takes forever to load.

Put all of your formatting into ONE external css file (css files that came with something that you got (like a dropdown menu) somewhere else and put on your site are an exception). It makes everyone elses life easier.

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Basically the intent was to make ONE 'ultimate guidelines in building a site' thing. Everyone's opinion put into it ONE big guide on SPPf. Compile everyone's opinion into the ultimate guidelines to post. Sort of like what W3C does with web standards, but as something on a MUCH smaller scale, smaller audience, smaller value (it is for SPPf general purposes in this case, not for the world).

Are you getting what i'm saying now? Did this help?