PDA

View Full Version : Pace - The Final Frontier! (466)

Serebii
1st September 2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/466.jpgDecisive Match! VS Regice!

After Charizard's loss to Dusclops, Ash is faced with being at a disadvantage in his rematch with Brandon. With only Pikachu, Squirtle & Bulbasaur left, he has to face Brandon's Ninjask & Solrock. However after they have been subdued, Brandon reveals his trump card...the legendary Golem Regice. Will Ash manage to defeat Regice or will he suffer his 3rd loss against Brandon?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/466.shtml)

Discuss

weeman342
1st September 2006, 1:24 PM
I dont think he'll loose since theres only like 3 eps left..its gunna be close though..

The Benmeister
1st September 2006, 1:29 PM

For the sake of Serebii not having to do it, these threads are for people who have already seen the episode.

Absol_utely
1st September 2006, 2:45 PM
Thank Blissey Ash won! 'Bout time too, Brandon smells... where'd u watch it Benmeister? I guess Leeds!

sCiZoR_2006
1st September 2006, 5:46 PM
We see a return of Bulbasaur's Leech Seed (which it used against both Dusclops and Solrock). After Charizard was beat by Dusclops, Bulbasaur mashed it up with a Solarbeam to the face.

Ash showed his innovative thinking when Squirtle went up against Ninjask. Brandon commanded Ninjask to whip some dust into Squirtle's eyes. Ash had Squirtle use Hydro Pump to drench itself (and dissolve the sand out its eyes), fainting Ninjask with a Skull Bash.

Brandon's Solrock had a nice entourage of psychic attacks (Psybeam/Confusion), finally knocking Squirtle out with Solarbeam. Ash summoned Bulbasaur again, but both it and Solrock knocked each other out with their clashing Solarbeams.

Regice VS Pikachu was an interesting battle to see. One would think that a Focus Punch from a Legendary Pokemon would knock out (or severly damage) any Pikachu, but we all know better.

This has to be the first time we've ever seen Pikachu use Iron Tail twice in one attack (that was impressive). Pikachu's final dash using Volt Tackle was real tight to watch, as it ran through and broke blocks of ice to pieces. The sheer force of the attack knocked Regice back into the wall, and it was all over.

Blazing Charmander
1st September 2006, 5:57 PM
Wow. It sounds like it was one pretty physical battle from both sides. Ash's strategies certainly sound interesting and it's nice to hear that Pikachu had a tough ride (Regice is a legendary after all, so it wouldn't be practical to have a battle, to that degree rushed). I can't wait to see how that double Iron Tail move was executed.

It will be interesting to see the scenes away from the battle, ie: Hall of Fame, Frontier Symbol scene. It certainly sounds like an episode to remember.

Kabuto
1st September 2006, 6:10 PM
It seems like an interesting battle, (I have yet to see the episode) though it seems like Ash got spared, if the three Regis had been used at once, he might not have won. Do you think Dusclops, Solrock, and Ninjask are on equal level with Brandon's Regi's or not?

Serebii
1st September 2006, 8:54 PM
We have pics

http://www.serebii.net/466.jpg (http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/466.shtml)

First person to point out the errors in flashbacks gets a cookie

The Benmeister
1st September 2006, 8:58 PM
Is it, by any chance, that May and Max are in the background as Bulbasaur is facing Arbok despite the fact that they obviously wouldn't have even existed at the time?

Torkoal Stu
1st September 2006, 9:00 PM
Or that Ash is wearing his Advanced Gear and in a closed Stadium fighting a Meganium, when he fought Jackson's one it was open arena and he was wearing Johto gear.

~Battle Frontier~
1st September 2006, 9:00 PM
I know one error in the flashback

-In the flashback, it shows Ash and his Hoenn outfit. It also shows that he is fighting a Meganium using Bulbasaur. But Ash never battled a Meganium in Hoenn and Bulbasaur only battled Team Rocket when Bulbasaur was transported to Hoenn, and Team Rocket doesn't even have a Meganium
Edit: Beaten :(

Serebii
1st September 2006, 9:01 PM
Theres more :p

~Battle Frontier~
1st September 2006, 9:04 PM
I know! In the other scene, it shows Ash's Bulbasaur battling Arbok ( and May in the side of the image ) but when Ash's Bulbasaur was transported to Hoenn, Jessie did NOT have Arbok, instead, she had a Seviper. You can tell this image is from the Hoenn saga cause May's in it.

Torkoal Stu
1st September 2006, 9:04 PM
Since from pictures you can't see every pic of the scene, i'll have to watch the episode somewhere to spot every single error.

The Benmeister
1st September 2006, 9:06 PM
Likewise, but I'm assuming it has something to do with Pikachu using Volt Tackle on something it has fought prior to it actually learning Volt Tackle.

Savvao
1st September 2006, 9:07 PM
Gonna take a looooooooooooooong time to bring it on US.

John's Knight
1st September 2006, 9:16 PM
Seen the pictures... Awesome fight.
I can't remember of any more flashback errors... =/

Simply loved this ep, can't wait for the dubbed version :O

Lord wackruntlje
1st September 2006, 9:28 PM
Now no one can say that Ash is a n00b. He has beaten Brandon, one of, if not the strongest, trainer in Kanto.
Noteworthy things:
*Ash seems to overuse Leech seed during the battle, and thank goodness it's not like in the Indigo leuge were it took a Beedril out with just one of this over-power full attack in the Anime.
*Almighty Psychic rock Solrock enter the stage, and goes flashy with all it's psychic attacks. Come on, it has already had a big battle with Tate&Liza vs. Ash. And it goes back to the start of the series, where nothing could hit Psychic becuase they just send the attacks back.
*TR digging? AGAIN? They have done it already during almost all of Ash biggest battles since Hoen, yet this time it was a little batter when they meet some real guards. Though I would really wanted to see them in the battle rather than just blasting of TR...
*Does the writers know any other ice attack than Ice beam? Just that and Focus Punch, big movepool for a legendary...
*LOTS of faulty flashbacks, these new animators has propably never seen a pokemon episode before.

Overall, a big disapointment. In my opinon

Darkstorm16
1st September 2006, 9:30 PM
So did Ash turn down the chance of being a battle head or is the offer still habging for anytime in the future?

Serebii
1st September 2006, 9:32 PM
He declined it

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st September 2006, 9:43 PM
How come Squirtle doesn't get any flashbacks?

HoennMaster
1st September 2006, 10:06 PM
The battle with Ninjask seemed a little too short to me. The Regice battle looked cool, can't wait to watch it.

Ashy Boy
1st September 2006, 10:14 PM
Where was Wobbuffet in this ep?

dannyphantomhott
1st September 2006, 10:26 PM
Its awesome how Ash won, I saw the images so cool! Ash is def turning pro, I mean he's even having a tie with May in a contest ^_^

Pika Hikari KT
1st September 2006, 11:16 PM
I've got one--the flashback with Bulba and Meganium has Ash in his Hoenn garb when they should be Kanto. Also, that fight(I believe that was the only Bulbasaur vs. Meganium fight--Johto League tourney) was a tie(the shot has Bulbasaur clearly pwning Meganium).^^

Looks like Ash has a new shiny plaque to show his mom!^_^

hustenapfel
1st September 2006, 11:36 PM

Well,Bulbasaur has never battled a Zangoose.

John Ray
2nd September 2006, 12:08 AM
Thats it! No trophy. No medals. No money. No Final ultimate frontier badge of somekind. Just a plaque!

Anyways i think its one of the best epi yet in my opinion.

I wonder what would happen if he agreed to the offer of becoming a frontier brain. What symbol would he get? If he agreed he will be the youngest and the strongest in all the frontier brains.

But i guess his journey is not over. I hope he will be a frontier brain in the future. I am quite sure that he will be on the DP episode. Maybe he will start again from only taking Pikachu like on Hoenn.

Does anyone know if Ash is the first trainer who has beaten all the frontier brains?

Ash6K
2nd September 2006, 12:48 AM
At least this episode shows that Ash won't leave. Why else would he decline being a brain. Overall this episode was pretty good. I am disappointed that the writers (or animators??) had continuity issues (like Bulbasaur battling Arbok while May's around, or battling Meganium in a non open area). I'm glad to see Leech Seed and Skull Bash back...so classic and nostalgic. But as I always say...the former possiblity of having a 6 vs. 6 battle should've been used for a more grander ending to the Battle Frontier...

S.Suikun
2nd September 2006, 1:03 AM
So, what happened to the hall of fame rumor? Hmm...?

I agree that merely a plaque is pretty lame, though I think the key problem was wasting so much time in the previous episode. No time for a big send-off. Could this be the end of Scott, by any chance?

CyberCubed
2nd September 2006, 1:05 AM
^ Scott could still appear in the final AG episode.

But yeah, I think Scott's done when AG ends. He has no reason to return unless D/P has another Battle Frontier.

Akaba
2nd September 2006, 1:36 AM
Seems like a really good episode,

I'm not checking pics until I get the episode online - whenever that is.

Anyways, yeah - Enishida is done.

He is the man of Frontier. There is no reason for him to go millions of miles to Shinou and do what? Stalk Satoshi some more?

The Benmeister
2nd September 2006, 1:41 AM
Mleh, it was good with Scott around. Who knows, we may seem more of him again.

Yeah, I'm upset about the continuity errors as many of us are. It's like the animators just decided 'Oh, to save the effort of recreating every scene as it was, let's just paste images on top of scenes originally from Hoenn and no one will notice!'

Of course, we did notice.

Aside from that, despite the fact that I was originally moaning about the episode and its unrealisticness, the battle was very good. And of course, it's always good to see my little Bulby wulby in action. This will definately be an episode to remember when the time comes and we start to reflect on the Battle Frontier saga. Then again, you could say that with many episodes of this saga.

Judai Yuki
2nd September 2006, 1:48 AM
Did Bulbasaur use Frenzy Plant?

-Judai

Umi Mizuno
2nd September 2006, 1:48 AM
The episode was pretty good, at least I finally glued my eyes to the screen because of a battle.

Hmm, a plaque? A PLAQUE? Well better then getting just a handshake and getting a congrats.

W00t for flying Pyramids. :O

Akaba
2nd September 2006, 1:50 AM
Wait, how have half of you watched the epiosde. Pocketmonsters tracker is down and the other raw place doesn't have it as well.

Am I mising something, or you just saying you watched the pictures?

Yeah, stupid question.

Kabuto
2nd September 2006, 1:52 AM
A plaque is better then a berry so I wouldn't complain.

Judai Yuki
2nd September 2006, 1:56 AM
How dare you doubt the almighty berry?!

-Judai

Pika Hikari KT
2nd September 2006, 3:03 AM
Did Bulbasaur use Frenzy Plant?
No. That was Leech Seed, which it hasn't used in a while.:p

S.Suikun
2nd September 2006, 3:30 AM
Pics from filb.de show more flashback blunders such as Ash in AG clothes sending Bulbasaur against an Exeggutor. I mean, as cruddy as the animation team was last week, at least they used Ash's original clothes in the retouched flashbacks. This team was a fair bit more competent, so the extreme disregard of continuity is surprising. Glad we got to see the other two Regis again, though. Lock-On is an attack that makes me very glad 4Kids is outta here.

For those who have seen the episode in motion, how was Regice's voice in comparison to his Movie 8 one?

EDIT: Now that I've seen the episode, I can confirm that it was completely different. That makes me sad. Solrock's voice was also a whole lot different than his appearances in Hoenn. It sounded like Noctowl.

Another thing I noticed - Unlike in the past when Leech Seed was shown, this actually showed the gradual sapping of a Pokemon's energy over time instead of all at once.

EDIT2: Just realized they used the Regi's BGM theme from Movie 8. Bout time they used that. Aaron's theme was also used again at the end. Now if only we could get "Retaliate" to play.

Nyami
2nd September 2006, 6:31 AM
Ash turned the offer down? Did he give a specific reason why he didn't take it? I'm just suprised.

Almighty Zard
2nd September 2006, 6:50 AM
Ash turned the offer down? Did he give a specific reason why he didn't take it? I'm just suprised.

Were you really expecting Ash to take the offer, seriously it's not in his character to accept something like that.

Flamez
2nd September 2006, 7:27 AM
Saw the episode and have to say it was really good.
Both Bulbasaur and Squirtle were great. When Squirtle used Hydro Pump in the air and then let the water splash on itself to get the dirt out of its eyes Nurse Joy was very impressed by the strategy and took notes (literally).
Squirtle and Ash flexing was funny and awesome.

Bulbasaur showed again why it doesnt need to evolve.
Solrock was impressive, it had psy wave (when was the last time we saw that).

The spotlight and the greatness obviously goes to Pikachu, really this battle is just one of the many reasons why pikachu is my FAVORITE pokemon. The little rat is god there is no question about it. I have to say the double Iron Tail was mad nice, really you have to see it to believe how great it looked.
Regice knew Rest, I really liked the music they had playing when regice was battling pikachu.
Pikachu got trapped in the ice and then Ash had the flashbacks and ordered a Thunderbolt. Pikachu doesnt respond and the referee is about to declare brandon the winner but THEN pikachu starts to gather up electricy and breaks through the ice and the attack hits regice and we get the 1st battle frontier intro song playing (my favorite). Now someone has to confirm this but it looked like the attack paralyzes regice. Regice still uses focus punch and pikachu goes bouncing around the ring (covered with ice so its obvious) and then it bounces of the wall and uses the double iron tail attack which was awesome. Regice uses Ice beam pikachu dodges but the attack just traps pikachu, and regice is uses rest.
Pikachu breaks through using iron tail and uses volt tackle, now while its running it breaks a pillar of ice in the way which looks great. Regice uses Ice beam but pikachu moves away to the side and gets back on track sending regice blasting into the wall. Pikachu wins and Ash leaps with happiness.

Ash refuses the brain position and then says bye to his trio. Everyone just waves bye to them and thats that.
Overall an excellent episode, Pikachu's best battle so far. It deserved to win its been with Ash forever and has more then enough experience to win battles like this. I give it a 10/10.

Ashy Boy
2nd September 2006, 9:49 AM
Even if Ash accepted the offer, he would have his work cut out of being a Frontier Brain.

Torkoal Stu
2nd September 2006, 10:03 AM
Look at all the contunity errors in the flashbacks.

I find that so funny...

Too bad Ninjask didn't win a round, at least Squirtle and Bulbasaur each got a win.

Irene
2nd September 2006, 3:21 PM
Anyone else has already complained about the flashbacks mistakes, so I won't add into that. Awesome battles, yeah, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that Pikachu has only slipped ONCE while RUNNING ON A FIELD COVERED IN ICE during the WHOLE battle. I mean, it was OBVIOUS that Jindai's strategy included making the battlefield completely icy and slippery to stop the little rat from running and such.

Still, Satoshi's almighty electric rodent can apparently levitate while running on ice, being able to perform Volt Tackle to destroy Regice. This is what disappointed me most. Everything else was ok, but this one thing just doesn't go past me. Sorry.

By the way, who was the newly got Pokémon of Jindai's that was mentioned before? Regice? This would explain why the poor thing lost. It's probably not able to create slippery ice yet XD

By the way, Ice type legendaries have the worst luck in the anime. At least this one wasn't owned by Lizardon D:

gamefreak5034
2nd September 2006, 4:24 PM
Saw the ep but i was wondering, what that recover that regice was using everytime pikachu was stuck between ice, cause no one seemed to mention it

Bliksem
2nd September 2006, 7:05 PM
Anyone else has already complained about the flashbacks mistakes, so I won't add into that. Awesome battles, yeah, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed that Pikachu has only slipped ONCE while RUNNING ON A FIELD COVERED IN ICE during the WHOLE battle. I mean, it was OBVIOUS that Jindai's strategy included making the battlefield completely icy and slippery to stop the little rat from running and such.

Still, Satoshi's almighty electric rodent can apparently levitate while running on ice, being able to perform Volt Tackle to destroy Regice. This is what disappointed me most. Everything else was ok, but this one thing just doesn't go past me. Sorry.

By the way, who was the newly got Pokémon of Jindai's that was mentioned before? Regice? This would explain why the poor thing lost. It's probably not able to create slippery ice yet XD

By the way, Ice type legendaries have the worst luck in the anime. At least this one wasn't owned by Lizardon D:
I was just about to mention all of that XD. Wow, you beat me to the punch. Poor Regice.

Rizardon
2nd September 2006, 7:30 PM
Where do people watch the new episodes?
I always wait till it comes out on pocketmonsters but they,re
having...difficulties.

Kabuto
2nd September 2006, 7:36 PM
That was a good episode. Besides the fact that Regice lost to pikachu by itself (thought Charizard should've weakened it a little first), the battle was good. Bulbasaur and Squirtle had the spotlight I wanted them to get, the battles were intense. Quite honestly, I thought they should've combined this battle with the other two fights with Brandon and made it a 6 on 6 battle. Thought Pikachu's victory was a little cheap, but I can't say we haven't seen worse in the anime. Anyway, good battle and good ending to the Frontier. The plaque was as nice as the tiny orange league trophy anyway, so its not a big deal that that was all he got.

Almighty Zard
2nd September 2006, 7:37 PM
I just saw this and i gotta say that while the battle itself is great there are a few things i've got to call foul on, and no Charizard losing to Dusclops is not one of them.
First of all why do they always have to load up every Solarock with Solarbeam it made the outcome of it's match with Bulbasaur way to predictable, (come on you know the writers love thier Solarbeam shootouts)
and second while Pikachu did do incredibly good against Reigice, there is no way in heck you can convince me that how he won wasn't cheap, if that was Rest that Regice was using, then i fail to see how Pikachu could possibly knock Regice out with one Volt Tackle considering all the attacks it had to inflict after the previous rest, i find that retarded, i also don't like the fact that Regice never made the effort to get to it's feet, i mean come on they could of least made it try to get up, but no it just lies there like it has a hangover, basically Regice got screwed over and while it was high time Brandon lost, they could've handled that alot better. In conclusion, the battle was one of the best in the series, but the ending completely sucked.
Kabuto i actually wouldn't have minded a six on six now anyway cause then Donphan and Snorlax could've joined the party.

S.Suikun
2nd September 2006, 7:56 PM
Saw the ep but i was wondering, what that recover that regice was using everytime pikachu was stuck between ice, cause no one seemed to mention it
Rest, if I'm not mistaken.

Eerie Fuwante
2nd September 2006, 8:27 PM
They HAD to make Ninjask lose his first fight.

They HAD to make Pikachu defeat Regice.

I wish Bulbasaur could've defeated it.

BTW, the flashback errors happened even in the episode before!(It appeared Ash with his original clothes in the battle againts Noland)

Magician_Ruwla
2nd September 2006, 10:01 PM
But is may going to johto now?

Flamez
2nd September 2006, 11:18 PM
We still dont know anything about that and THIS EPISODE had nothing to do with May or her choice. This was about Ash battling Brandon and winning the final symbol, which he did. May's future may be revealed within a week or two I think. There are signs pointing towards her staying but also signs of her leaving. we just have to relax and WAIT for confirmation.

Nyami
3rd September 2006, 12:02 AM
Were you really expecting Ash to take the offer, seriously it's not in his character to accept something like that.

Ok, yeah. He's humble, but I was just thinking about how big an honor it is for him and his dreams. But also I went back and editted my message. My original included something like 'then again he would want to go to Shinou to get more experience'

John Ray
3rd September 2006, 1:55 AM
Maybe in time when he is older he will take the offer.

a thought:Do you think now that he defeated Brandon(Who is one of the strongest trainer in Kanto)...now do you think Ash is strong enough to beat the elite 4?

Kabuto
3rd September 2006, 2:15 AM
I never even thought about that... maybe ash can take on the elite 4. Anyway Brandon didn't use lock on this time, he should've since ice beam kept on missing.

Shego
3rd September 2006, 3:43 AM
I heard that Ash finally defeated Brandon,and his Regice,a legendary pokemon with his pikachu. Now that's incredible. And now that's done, he conquered the Battle Frontiers.

Almighty Zard
3rd September 2006, 3:46 AM
I never even thought about that... maybe ash can take on the elite 4. Anyway Brandon didn't use lock on this time, he should've since ice beam kept on missing.

If none of his pokemon had fainted then he would have been ready but come on, Charizard was beaten Bulbasaur and Squirtle barely won thier fights and as far as i'm concerned Pikachu (while fighting impressively) pulled a cheap win against Regice so i seriously don't think Ash is ready for the E4 yet.

Kabuto
3rd September 2006, 3:48 AM
Yes, but remember Brandon is tougher then the average gym leader, and I think Scott said each brain is as powerful as an elite 4 member.

Shego
3rd September 2006, 3:55 AM
Yes, but remember Brandon is tougher then the average gym leader, and I think Scott said each brain is as powerful as an elite 4 member.

He's right. A Frontier brain is powerful than a Gym Leader.

Rufinito18
3rd September 2006, 5:23 AM
Zenigame's battle was too short, but Fudishidane got alot of battle time. I love leech seed. I love his Kanto pokemon, and this is why I loved this episode, and the one before it. It makes me somuch happier that his Kanto pkm are shown as being his strongest pokemon.

CyberCubed
3rd September 2006, 6:00 AM
An excellent episode in general, and a fantastic way to end his Battle Frontier quest.

But damn, if it ain't Charizard then it's Bulbasaur. :rolleyes: Can't Squirtle ever be glorifed for once? It is always Pikachu/Bulbasaur/Charizard getting the glory.

Hell, I should be happy Squirtle took out Ninjask at all. I know Squirtle has never been shown to be as strong as the other three, but I kinda wish it took out Solrock instead of Bulbasaur.

Overall though, fantastic.

Ash's Charizard
3rd September 2006, 12:33 PM
i just watched the episode on youtube now, it was fantastic, if the animation hadnt been so screwd up in places it could have been a little better. It definately pleased me to see that ash's original 4 pokemon were the final combination to take down brandon and the bit where they go camping and take down team rocket just like the old days i think was awesome to see. I would definately rate this up there in the top 10 pokemon episodes of all time.

John Ray
3rd September 2006, 3:36 PM
He's right. A Frontier brain is powerful than a Gym Leader.

Thats right. Charizard already beaten a legendary and pikachu has beaten a legendary and

If Brandon used all his 3 legendary do you think ash could have lost?

Gravy
3rd September 2006, 4:26 PM
Bah. I didn't think this was as great as people are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I thought the battling was decent and all, but it was hardly one of the best fights in the series. The Dome and Palace battles were far better in my humble opinion, and they both raised the bar for any future bouts. I guess thats where part of my dissapointment stems from. I expected the big finalé to kick both of them out of the water :/

-Squirtle and Ninjask's battle was definately the best of the lot, and the strategies employed were pretty interesting. Like Squirtle using Hydro Pump to cure it's temporary visual imparement for example. I thought that was a decent highlight.

-There's one thing that really punched my pretty pickle pale about the battle; What's with Ash being allowed to dive in front of his pokémon, protecting them from harm? I mean, that's all well and good outside of the battlefield where a pokémon could be in some real danger, but this was an official match. What Dusclops did, sending Bulba hurtling towards the wall like that, was a totally legal move, and I don't see why Ash shouldn't be penalised for preventing the attack going all the way :/
And yes, I'm well aware he did the exact same thing during the tower match. But that doesn't make it any less stupid.

HEY ASH, WHY DIDN'T YOU EVER DO THAT FOR TORKOAL WHEN IT WAS FIGHTING REGISTEEL! OR TREEKO WHEN IT WAS FIGHTING MAKUHITA!
Thar be Favouritism in them thar hills!

-I also agree with Almighty Zard's opinion concerning Pikachu's victory. Regice used Rest and awoke before[/b] the Volt Tackle hit, meaning all it's energy should have been replenished. So how the snapcracklepop did Pika manage to destroy that thing with a single Volt Tackle?
I was willing to state that perhaps Rest doesn't completely heal a pokémon in the show, but then realised that such an argument would be ridiculous when you take Regice's overall strength into account and the fact that we've seen Rest fully replenish pokémon before.
Then I went on to speculate that maybe Regice snapped out of the Rest prematurely, with it's energy having recovered to about half of it's maximum. But still, that shouldn't justify a Volt Tackle taking it out in one hit.
Unless anyone can think of a decent enough reason as to why it worked, I call bullsh!t. Hey, if people can b!tch about Haruka's wins 'till the cows come home, I don't see why Ash can't be an exception. ;)

-Bulbasaur hogging the spotlight always sucks, and I can only imagine the rage poor Yamato-san felt as it whipped Dusclops and then went on to tie with Solrock. But complaints aside, I [i]did like how Leech Seed was finally portrayed as an attack that gradually weakens the opponent, as opposesed to just outright imoblising them.

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd September 2006, 4:34 PM
Regice drank too much cofee that morning, thus weakening it's rest abilites, and the hot liquid melted it's body some into water which made it more succeptible to a Mouse slamming into it while electrocuted.

I always noticed, Regice? Reg-ice?

Geodude
3rd September 2006, 4:37 PM
-There's one thing that really punched my pretty pickle pale about the battle; What's with Ash being allowed to dive in front of his pokémon, protecting them from harm? I mean, that's all well and good outside of the battlefield where a pokémon could be in some real danger, but this was an official match. What Dusclops did, sending Bulba hurtling towards the wall like that, was a totally legal move, and I don't see why Ash shouldn't be penalised for preventing the attack going all the way :/
And yes, I'm well aware he did the exact same thing during the tower match. But that doesn't make it any less stupid.
Since neither Brandon nor the ref objected, my guess is that it's legal as long as it's well outside the boundaries of the battlefield.

Water Master David
3rd September 2006, 6:03 PM
Bulbasaur getting the spotlight, now THAT is crappy.

CyberCubed
3rd September 2006, 6:23 PM
Not really, Bulbasaur IS strong.

Squirtle should have done more though.

Ash6K
3rd September 2006, 6:36 PM
^ I agree, I wished Squirtle had more spotlight. It would've made this episode better if we saw some flashbacks for it like Charizard and Bulbasaur.

Kabuto
3rd September 2006, 6:55 PM
Yes, Squirtle deserves the spotlight, but it put up a good fight against ninjask. Compared to May's Squirtle though, it gets squat. :( Are you sure Regices move was rest and not iron defense or curse?

Gravy
3rd September 2006, 7:01 PM
Are you sure Regices move was rest and not iron defense or curse?
Jindai ordered Regice to use 'Nemuru'. Which, of course, is the move Rest in english. Though the fact that it just sat there, surrounded by pulsating energy whilst Pikachu was trapped in the ice should be proof enough :p

S.Suikun
3rd September 2006, 7:36 PM
I think I'll just give the cop-out answer for Regice's falling and Squirtle's limited spotlight - Rush job. I mean, it wasn't anywhere close to being on the level of the Tyson and Harrison battles, but cramming 3 vs. 4 into one episode is still difficult.

Personally, I thought Bulbasaur vs. Solrock was the best match of the lot.

Bulba the Great!
3rd September 2006, 8:49 PM
My two cents on the Bulby-hogging stuff...only Squirtle and Pikachu got real wins in the match. Bulby took down Dusclops...after it was weakened by Charizard. It tied with Solrock...after it was weakened by Squirtle. Not much to write home about, but it's wins weren't as cheaply and blatantly Bulby-service wins as people are making them out to be.

Nah, my only complaint about the match was that Brock suddenly shifted down next to May after being with his Beautiful-typed Pokemon last episode...and Solrock is now a Noctowl morph. Brilliant.

Oh...and the animation was thankfully better this time.

Cheers!
~Bulbs ;001;

Rizardon
3rd September 2006, 10:44 PM
I didnt really expect that i would like the final battle
between Pikachu and Regice, but i did. ^^
I feel bad for Regice though, he,s my favorite Regi of the 3 and
he was the one that just had to be beaten...

Shego
3rd September 2006, 10:54 PM
Thats right. Charizard already beaten a legendary and pikachu has beaten a legendary and

If Brandon used all his 3 legendary do you think ash could have lost?

Well. I know that Charizard defeated Articuno,and Pikachu beaten Regice,and all. If Brandon used all 3 legendary pokemon, Ash's chances are pretty slim. Without any legendary pokemon, it will be all over for Ashy.I'm sorry.

S_P
4th September 2006, 5:13 AM
Mmm Fushigidane spotlight again. Reasonable enough. Zenigame was slightly shafted, but the loss seemed reasonable, as it already creatively defeated Ninjask. That Sawamooru is like as powerful as those Regis!

I thought the battle was pretty good until Fushigidane and Solrock cancelled out (well that was expected). If Pikachu beat a weakened Regice, then that would be reasonable.

I don't understand why Regice didn't use Lock-On (don't Rest, Lock-On!) and then fire that energy ball thing (I'm not sure of the name of it, but the other Regi's used it, and it also OVERRIDED several elemental attacks such as a Flamethrower or a Thunderbolt. ... thunderbolt being overriden by Anabel's Espeon that is). It's supposed to be Lock-On, then fire that energy ball (or a Hyper Beam), then pull a Pryce ice sliding tactic when locked on, let Regice fire, then run underneath it and have it's own power weaken it!

^-- I thought something like that would have happened. Since Lock-On is homing, use speed to get behind the opponent to make an interception, haha.

Focus Punch did practically nothing (Hm I guess all those Iron Tails raised Pikachu's defense!) Though yes, Regice is physically weaker (if it weren't, I don't see why the heck it never bothered firing a Hyper Beam).

Pikachu didn't seem to have many struggles (a shruggable Blizzard ... cold thing ... and being frozen once). Seemed like the Ice Beam was only for the freezing effect. Didn't seem to have much power at all. Not a single Thunderbolt cancelled with an Ice Beam. Heck, Regice had no Thunderbolt (but that's too much into the game, but like the Houen League ... a Nyasu with Thunderbolt cancelled Pikachu's Thunderbolt, and it could have been implemented here as a "shock" factor and "a problem to overcome").

At first I thought Regice was using Curse, not Rest. That would make more sense in it "not moving so much", though none of the Regi's were very mobile anyways. Well, I suppose Regice losing was due to a "big hit". I'm sure if Regirock were hit by a Solarbeam by Jukain or Registeel hit by an Overheat from Cotoise, it would seem reasonable enough.

As far as the other starters' battles, they seemed reasonable enough. Some creativity here and there. Solarbeam oddly consistent, and Leech Seed being useful (though it used to be much stronger). It didn't really feel like Sawamooru or Solrock were that much weakened (more like periodically sapped ... which ironically is consistent with what it actually is as opposed to instant winner in Kantou days).

I forgot how ice and electricity correlate when mixed around. I'm sure that battle had several defiances of realism. Pikachu didn't even look worn down (though Jukain and Cotoise were both beaten by Lock-On'd one hit wonders). Regice didn't even have a "finisher" attack. Freezing the opponent only knocks out the ability to battle, but doesn't knock out the opponent. (And when that theme music plays, Satoshi will automatically win with several Pikachu consecutive attacks almost ALL SUCCEEDING, whether it's Thunderbolt or Iron Tail on a poor victim.)

Now how many Brain victories ended in Volt Tackle? Practically half? The writers probably amplified the damage and removed the "double-edged" effect of it.

Though I suppose the intent was a victory, so they reduced Regice's movepool (but seriously, taking out Lock-On and that energy ball ... and Hyper Beam was weird, because that was the Regi pattern.)

Regice was also half-invincible in movie eight (or had an invincible complex). I understand these are supposedly lesser Regi's, but this Regice was way lesser'd. The other Regis didn't even use a single move it had. Ignorance of Ice anyways, one slip! Probably some high static was implemented, so Pikachu can zoom a lot and Regice can't move a lot.

Shrug, all the battles up to the Pikachu battle had some drama, but Pikachu's was predictable (awesomely animated and very cool looking, but predictable. Heck, Iron Tail being strong against Ice types was predictable too.). However, I suppose the writers were slightly consistent with the Regi's intaking many many hits, it's just that Pikachu's had side effects called ... paralysis. I suppose beating the Regis previously lacked the big hit (which is why I didn't get why Jukain didn't fire Solarbeam or Cotoise not firing Overheat). I guess all those Thunderbolts, Iron Tails, and Volt Tackle were all like "critical hits", "hitting the weak spot", and "on the mark". Must have been the speed thing neutralising the slowness of Ice and being advantageous to the slow Regis (since against Regirock and Registeel, the pace was much slower. Perhaps the third time was a charm.)

Honestly I would have preferred a Shedinja instead of a Ninjask, as Ninjask was beaten a bit too easily (one Skull Bash, when it's charging with it's most offensively oriented attack? Must have been hit by surprise, because usually Skull Bash only finishes as a follow up move from say, a Hydro Pump.). A Shedinja would have forced Satoshi to figure out that only Leech Seed will work on it to win, hahaha (but then you'd get Solarbeam favouritism again). Well, they were Ninjask consistent too ... fast but very fragile (except that Kage Bunshin didn't do much at all! I expected a Hydro Pump clearing, not a Water Gun clearing. And um, where did Hyper Beam go?).

Leech Seed was good, it certainly was (though again I would have preferred it on all of the opponents. If it were on Regice, the Pikachu victory would be far more convincing. But no, Solrock didn't get interrupted by Leech Seed, so it got to shoot its Solarbeam.)

Actually beating the three Regis, based on the three Regi battles, seem possible (with the exact same matchups that is). Well, Regice wasn't up to par as the other two anyways (this might be a D/P thing where they make Volt Tackle a "physical hit").

But seriously, where did Hyper Beam go?

I just think a lot of things were left out. Good battle, but several inconsistencies (and using the opponent's Lock-On as a counter would have been a better idea than Pikachu at full power). Seriously, this is a Pikachu consistent with its performances against Brains, but not tournaments. It just ran over Regice! Oh well, based on a big hit concept, would this only make sense. Volt Tackle = Big Hit = lots of power = win. Regice's attacks were not big hits. Like others said, good battle, bad ending. It would have seemed less cheesy if it was Pikachu + Fushigidane/Zenigame > Regice. Regice was seriously like ... nerfed compared to the other Regis.

Magician_Ruwla
4th September 2006, 12:53 PM
I've seen the episode and that little preview of the next episode...
and mayb i saw it wrong but in the next episode, then combusken is gonna evolve!!

Yamato-san
5th September 2006, 5:12 AM
Bah. I didn't think this was as great as people are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I thought the battling was decent and all, but it was hardly one of the best fights in the series. The Dome and Palace battles were far better in my humble opinion, and they both raised the bar for any future bouts. I guess thats where part of my dissapointment stems from. I expected the big finalé to kick both of them out of the water :/

-Squirtle and Ninjask's battle was definately the best of the lot, and the strategies employed were pretty interesting. Like Squirtle using Hydro Pump to cure it's temporary visual imparement for example. I thought that was a decent highlight.

-Bulbasaur hogging the spotlight always sucks, and I can only imagine the rage poor Yamato-san felt as it whipped Dusclops and then went on to tie with Solrock. But complaints aside, I did like how Leech Seed was finally portrayed as an attack that gradually weakens the opponent, as opposesed to just outright imoblising them.

[twitch] indeed... you know, it seems as though every time Satoshi's 1st gen Pokemon battle, it's just some lame excuse for them to have a battle that's simply trading blows between one another rather than the elaborate strategies we love, because the Kantou starters are "uber powerful" just for staying at some valley/fire squad/being a guardian (and being that before Satoshi got them for that matter, sans the valley... more reason the Kantou battle writing sucked). As you said, Gravy, this battle's really not as great as people make it, and sans Zenigame's Hydro Pump curing its blindness and Pikachu using Iron Tail to escape its icy prison, there was nothing interesting here. It's as I said from the beginning, this was just a sad, last-minute attempt at even more 1st generation fan-service, but to make things worse, Pikachu's been uberfied like it was in the early sagas, rather than fighting on the level of the powerful-but-not-that-much fighter it's been in AG (particularly after learning Volt Tackle).

We really had to get rid of Jukain and Cotoise's revenge matches for.... THIS!? MOTHER F***ER!!! Maybe this was also done because the writers were cheap and didn't wanna show Satoshi find a way around Lock-on... honestly, I could come up with a better scenario than copping out with "look, it's the 1st gen starters that everyone loves and worships! Love and worship them again and ignore our crappy writing!" What if, after Regirock fired Hyper Beam at Jukain and it curved to target him due to Lock-on, he ran towards Regirock, jumped over and behind it to fire a Solar Beam at its back, thus launching it into its own Hyper Beam and getting caught between two very powerful attacks, resulting in an instant KO? Sadly, that can never be... only possible within the realm of fanfiction/doujinshi now. T_T

I guess I can look at some of the positives here, though... Lizardon's proven not to be invincible against Pokemon supposedly below the tier of fully-evolved starters, and as Gravy pointed out, Leech Seed finally works the way it does in the games (minus Fushigidane recovering, assumedly). Plus, my prediction that Pikachu could be the one to take on Regice came true, and... well, that's pretty much it. After those few positives, I'm still very much crying inside. And so, after the negatives and the positives of this BS finale, I may as well mention the in-betweens. I was kinda expecting Spurt! to play for the final Frontier battle, to make it seem all the more climactic (Spurt! for that matter, doesn't sound quite as peppy as Battle Frontier, not that I'm complaining about its useage in the climax). And finally, Satoshi gets a plaque and is a candidate for becoming a Frontier Brain... yeah, his reason for turning it down was pretty damn predictable ("I wanna go on more journeys, fight in more battles, etc."), leaving him with just the plaque, which seems to be as crappy an award as completing the Pokedex (though, at least when you do that, you're left with 151-386 nifty allies in your fighting reserves). I hope to god that Satoshi's conquering the Battle Frontier is looked back upon at least some day in the far, far future.

Kabuto
5th September 2006, 5:27 AM
Its true I fully agree, not only was the battle of Pikachu and Regice flawed but there are other problems. Looking back on the episode, it was worse then I thought at first.

Ash has been training with his Battle Frontier team all this time and ends up winning with starters he hasn't used in years. If Sceptile and Torkoal were mixed into the battle along with ashs original team, it would be good because it'd be a mix like the other facilities. But all of ashs original pokemon get all the credit for the win. Luckily they didn't beat the Regis or it would've humiliated ashs bf team even more. At the same time, why the hell didn't Brandon use the other two regis. If ash had faced the three regis instead of dusclops, ninjask and solrock with his original team, I DOUBT he'd win. Bulbasaur and Squirtle won their matches fairly though so that was a plus (except like gravy said ash dove in to save bulbasaur). Pikachu versus Regice was the cop out. As I mentioned earlier, Regice didn't use lock on hence why ice beam kept on missing. The only hits Regice seemed to use on pikachu was freezing it, trapping it (which it escaped easily), and hitting it with ice punch. The other move was rest (which turned out pointless in the end), since pikachus double iron tail and volt tackle knocked it out after it fully recovered. Regice is known for its massive hp and sp defense and even after two consecutive super effective iron tails and a volt tackle, it should still be able to put up a fight. Regirock got up coutless times after Sceptile used leaf blade. Also in DP pikachu is bound to lose to something weaker, likely a baby pokemon so this causes another problem. Well thats it for my rant, carry on.

Yamato-san
5th September 2006, 5:45 AM
Regice is known for its massive hp and sp defense and even after two consecutive super effective iron tails and a volt tackle, it should still be able to put up a fight. Regirock got up coutless times after Sceptile used leaf blade.

usually, I'd say special defense means squat because the anime never seems to follow the rules about Pokemon stats, but for once, I thought the anime was actually showcasing this with the way it sustained Pikachu's Thunderbolt so well (Volt Tackle's more of a physical attack, so I would let that slide if not for the Rest). Those consecutive Iron Tails were cool, though.

Almighty Zard
5th September 2006, 7:23 AM
Kabuto you may want to go look at the pics again or find a way to watch the episode cause if my memory serves me right, Regirock never fell over at all when fighting Sceptile it was only forced to it's knees. Seriously i don't think i'm ever going to grasp the concept of how Pikachu won with one blow afer Regice used Rest, it does not make sense.

Kabuto
5th September 2006, 5:17 PM
I know I meant Regirock got up for more. I saw the episode.

Magician_Ruwla
6th September 2006, 2:57 PM
Yea, it would be impossible to own Regice with one volt tackle after regice's rest ..

diablohuman
6th September 2006, 5:31 PM
I've just seen the episode (finally!) I thought the Pikachu and Regice battle was flawed but still very enjoyable. I reakon Regice should of used curse instead of rest to make it more believable.

GonbeTR
10th September 2006, 12:17 AM
Even if everyone thinks that the reurn of Kanto starters tkaes unfairly the role and good effort of his Ag taem, I am glad to see the original trio because I love nostalgia. I think watching again the old starters is enjoying. For instance, I have missed Bulbasaur's "leech seed". Charizard's loss at the previous episode shows the importance of strategy, so they don't always make Kanto starters overpowered.

In my opinon, the match is one of the best of the Battle Frontier. It could be better if it were 6vs6. I think attacks and the action of the episode are excellent too. I like think these 2 episodes of Pyramid battle are awesome.

Bliksem
10th September 2006, 6:56 PM
For those of you who say that only Pikachu and Zenigame got legitamite wins, watch the Solrock battle again. Zenigame didn't land a single hit, thus what Fushigidane did was from its own strength.

deathseer
16th September 2006, 3:53 AM
it was a pretty good battle.nice to see ash's kanto starters in action.finally he beat brandon

Juputoru
18th September 2006, 2:20 AM
My summary is here...only two weeks late! 8D

-Blah blah blah RECAP blah blah.
-The Saur is up against The Clops. The Clops Shadow Punches The Saur. The Saur is pushed back a lot but it simply scowls and gives off its best "YOU'LL HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT *****!" face. The Saur attempts to get revenge with a Razor Leaf, but The Clops uses Detect like a sissy little coward. And...oh****! The Saur is at the recieving end of a Confuse Ray! But...OUR ***** AIN'T TAKING THAT! It snaps out of it in 1/1,000,000th of the time it took The Zard to, and sends out a Vine Whip of JUSTICE! The Clops stops the Vine Whip by Shadow Punching The Saur, resulting in a Saur flying off the battlefield, but...it gets back into Badass Mode in midair and lands safely. And...The Clops gets a Leech Seed! The Clops sends out (Will o Wisp?), and
The Saur counters with Razor Leaf. Oddly enough, the leaves don't catch on fire but rather cause the Blue Fireball Thing to explode, shocking both The Clops and The Saur(apparently they haven't learned that everything explodes yet). Then...here comes the OUlar-beam...I mean, Solar Beam! But The Clops ain't taking that, and it stops The Saur dead in its tracks with a Confuse Ray.
-The Saur doesn't use the Power of the Badass to break out of its confusion this time, so it just stands there, wobbling...still gathering light for Solarbeam...and eventually firing the beam in an upward direction...exploding against something and blasting off TR...
-Dusclops takes this opportunity to fire off a Will-o-Wisp(since I still don't know if that's something else) at The Saur. The Saur takes the hit, and gets back up(on its hind legs. It must have been practicing that, I swear), and...It's confused, but it's a confused BADASS now! Ash orders a Vine Whip, and Bulbasaur complies, and...
-BULBASAUR has hurt itself in its confusion!
-Another Blue Fireball heads Bulbsaur's way, which almost hurls it against a wall, but...Ash ain't allowing that! He acts as an organic cushion to its blow, although The Saur is still being a masochist after all this.
-It's flashback time! The scenes for today are:Bulbasaur VS Exceggutor, with a KOed Pika in the background, The Saur kicking a Meganium's ***, and The Saur VS a Zangoose...er, okay...,and an Arbok...while Max and May are watching...er...well, all these (mostly fake) memories were enough to snap The Saur out of it. Horrah!
-OU Beam starts charging up again, The Clops tries to stop it with a Generic Blue Fireball, but The Saur dodges and finally knocks The Clops out with the beam. Scott mentions something about Seed Damage shortly after this, probably commenting on either Leech Seed's effects or male reproductive damage.
-Mr. Ineed A. Hug sends out Ninjask(note for the unaware:Its voice rocks.), and Ash recalls The Saur so that he can send out...Generic Blue Turtle! Ninjask speeds at GBT with a Quick Attack, but GBT deflects it with...Rapid Spin! And then...
-OH **** SANDSTORM!
-GBT is knocked onto its back(while spinning a few times, which I find amusing for some reason), and Ninjask takes advantege of GBT's helplessness to get a Double(...triple...quadruple...quintuple...) Team going. But GBT uses the time honored "attack all the clones in a row, thus destroying the fakes and revealing the real one which never took the chance to attack or even move" techinique to utilize a continous Water Gun to attack all the clones in a row, thus destroying the fakes and revealing the real one which never took the chance to attack or even move.
-GBT Water Guns the Real One(breaking the continous Water Gun from before for some reason), but The Real 'Jask dodges with ease and Quick Attacks the GBT, knocking it into the air, where it...uses Hydro Pump! Ninjask counters with a Sandstorm, and...the two meet producing sparks(?!?!?!) and then an explosion(everything expl...ah, forget it.)!
-Oak says something(possibly about the blatent defial of chemical laws?).
-The Jask Sand Attacks GBT, rendering GBT blind. Sorry Ash, but no amount of inaccurate flashbacks can cure a purely physical affliction.
-Jask takes the opportunity to use Not-So-Quick Attack, and Ash uses the obligatory strategy when combating a foe your Pokemon can't see...listening! This allows GBT to hear the buzzing of Ninjask's wings(presumably not heard otherwise to avoid insane viewers), dodge the Not-So-Quick Attack, and Hydro Pump its ***. But The Jask dodges and comes in for another NSQ Attack, and...the water from the Hydro Pump falls onto GBT and washes the sand out of its eyes(apparently its skin is very water-permiable, since some sand undoubtedly got into areas the water shouldn't be able to reach)! Nurse Joy eagerly writes something down about that in her notebook.
-Bam! Skull Bash! (on a somewhat amusing note, I heard the "ROKETTO"(of Rocket whatever the other word is of the attack's JP name) and immediately expected it to be followed by a "-DAN!")
-Well, The Jask is a great attacker but it can't take a hit worth beans, and it's down and out!
-Jindai brings out his next punching bag Pokemon...Solrock! Ash doesn't recall his Pokemon this time, and has GBT get thigns off to a fast start with a Hydro Pump(it's the new Water Gun!).
-Solrock counters this with...Psywave, I think...
-GBT immediately goes into a Skull Bash, but is stopped short by a Psychic, and is thrown against the wall with said Psychic shortly thereafter. Solrock uses Shadow Bal...AHAHAHA! Sorry, its voice is TOO amusing...l, but GBT spins out of the way with Hydro Pump(one trick pony alert!), and keeps flying towards Solrock while changing to a Rapid Spin(which is only different from Hydro Pump in that it requires no water).
-Jindai orders an OU Beam, shocking Ash("OMG ur pkman cant use the same moves as mine?!"), which conveniently starts charging as the Rapid Spinning Turtle hits a wall and falls onto its back again. We're then treated to a still shot of the MOMENT OF IMPACT(saves on animation costs and all).
-And the turtle's DOWN!
-Underground, TR's building an oddly familiar tunnel(seriously, it looks just like the one from the Symphonic Medly opening), but sadly there are no random Pokemon to randomly run at them here.
-Ash sends The Saur back out, and is immediately assulted by a PSYCHO WAVE! ...er, Psywave. But admit it, Psycho Wave's cooler. The Saur dodges the oddly beam-like wave and fires off a Razor Leaf(it was either that or Vine Whip. Yep). But the leaves are stopped short by a Psychic(this pattern's looking familiar...), and sent back to bruise The Saur before they magically disappear(apparently Razor Leaves aren't normal matter? Or they sublime REALLY fast?).
-The Saur goes in for a Vine Whip(it was either that or Razor Leaf. Yep). But the vines and The Saur are stopped short by a Psychic(this pattern's looking familiar...), and are thrown towards a wall. But The Saur is a badass, and it lands on and jumps off of the wall no worse for the wear. Solrock launches a Generic Dark Ball and The Saur dodges with ease and then proceeds to Leech Seed the 'Rock.
-The next Psycho Wave(cooler than Psywave I tells ya!) hits The Saur, pushing it back a fair deal while it keeps trying to mantain its most important thing:being badass.
-The Saur uses Solarbeam, and I think you all know what HAS to happen because of that so I won't say it. (hint:Solrock has the same attack)
-This clashing of the beams results in both Pokes being KOed at the same time. Der Gasp!
-TR finally reaches a room, but...REGIROCK AND REGISTEEL ARE THERE. Ohsnap! TR wind up being the targets of a Lock On, and despite them running like hell back into the tunnel, they're blasted off. And...hey wait a minute, they didn't say "yana kanji!" BLASPHEMY!
-The next match is Pikachu VS Regice(how unforseen!). The Chu uses T-bolt, but...what happen? NICHTS, THAT'S WHAT! The Ice uses Icy Wind(?), chilling everyone in its general direction. Even Scott and Chansey, despite their layers of blubber.
-Pikachu goes in for an Iron Tail, but The Ice forces it to dodge an Ice Beam, which...FREEZES HALF OF THE BATTLE FIELD. Ash is screwed...is what I would say if AG wasn't going to end soon and this is Ash's THIRD match against Jindai.
-Pikachu goes in for a Quick Attack, but The Ice brings that ol' Ice Beam into play again and freezes the other half of the battle field. Well, damn. Better not aim that thing where it could hit the bleachers now, eh?
-Instead of having The Ice use its ice powers to freeze its opponents or at least make it a pain to get around, Jindai instead orders a Dynamicpunch, which The Chu tries to dodge, but...nobody taught IT how to move around on ice! The Chu tries a T-bolt instead, which seems to paralyze The Ice(and makes it make some cool robot sounds!). Pikachu then uses more of its Move In Midair For No Good Reason powers to Iron Tail The Ice, which fights back with another Ice Beam, which Pikachu dodges(can the thing move well on ice or not?! MAKE UP YER MINDS!), but...MORE of the building freezes over(you'd think the audience would be running for their lives about now, along with the referree) and trapping The Chu between some ice blocks!
-The Ice takes this opportunity to...sleep. LAZY BUM.
-Pikachu somehow breaks out of the ice by making its tail all glowy and irony, and runs towards The Ice, but...The Ice wakes up and uses Ice Beam for a direct hit!
-The Chu is now frozen and would be dead within minutes due to hypothermia or at least lack of oxygen if this wasn't an anime.
-Time for the flashbacks(ASH, INACCURATE FLASHBACKS ONLY WORK AGAINST NON-PHYSICAL THINGS), which all involve Pikachu zapping the crap out of something aside from the first one where Pikachu's helping Ash up a cliff for some reason.
-Ash orders a T-bolt, but NOTHING HAPPENS. The ref starts to declare KAAAAA-sama the winner, but...The Chu starts to spark?
-Pikachu breaks free with a Thunderbolt! Said bolt hits The Ice as Battle Frontier begins to play, but The Ice isn't taking that and Dynamic Punches The Chu, resulting in an amusing pinball-like series of bounces. The Chu strikes back with two consecutive Iron Tails, the second one actually chipping some of the ice off of Regice. The Ice uses Ice Beam again and The Chu dodges(Ash's voice is oddly high right here. Perhaps he's been yelling a tad too much?); The Chu gets trapped between ice blocks again; The Ice dozes off again; The Chu breaks free with Iron Tail again and races at The Ice with a Volt Tackle, and...it's a hit! And The Ice is down!
-Ash is ecstatic at FINALLY beating the man who really only needed a hug, so much in fact that he jumps VERY high into the air, as does Pikachu(magically teleported to the other side of the battlefield again).
-Ash finally gets his Symbol, and Jindai finally gets a hug...wait, the only part of that that happened was the Symbol part, Jindai's still hugless. :(
-Later, Ash gets a plaque to hold his symbols(and that says other crap we'll never be able to read 'cuz IT'S IN TAIJIRIN 8D), and...Ash turns down the Brain position! Since it'd be kind of wrong to hold one when he has no bra*carted away in a mysterious Ash-decorated van*.
-The Pyramid flies away(THAT must be an interesting sight for passerbys), Jindai hopefully getting a hug from the referee at least, Ash parts from his three glory stealers Kanto Starters(Charizard barely says goodbye before flying off! Hah!), and it's finally over with.
-I miss Jindai already.

Bliksem
18th September 2006, 6:13 AM
Wonderful summary. I enjoyed it greatly.

Irene
18th September 2006, 2:41 PM
*wipes tears away after reading Juputoru's summary"

I need a hug too, now :C

rune the 1st
4th November 2006, 5:27 AM
i'm still numb that he could beat a legendary but couldn't even beat elekible or for the matter of fact not even his baby form

squirtleking
8th November 2006, 6:44 PM
AWRIGHT! TAKE THAT, BRENDAN! You just got pwned by a bunch of midget pokemon!

Once again, Bulbasaur shows us why it is the mon by bringing down Solrock and that accursed Dusclops, Squirtle gets a few brief uber moments in one of the best matches in the BF, this is shaping up to be a great match, so long as Regice requires a team effort-

Enter Solrock.

The cheap b*stard pulls a Solarbeam out of nowhere to beat Squirtle before nearly bringing down Bulbasaur-

BUT OUR ***** AIN'T GOING OUT LIKE THAT!

Insert one "solarbeam duel" here, knocking both pokemon senseless. Oh no, that means...

Glory to the French rat.

Now that Bulbasaur and Squirtle have dealt with the lv70+ pokemon, Pikachu picks a fight with the lv5 Regice, which just happens to burst out of the ball when Brandon was OBVIOUSLY planning to release a lv80 Golem or something similar. Grr.

In short, go Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Curses to the Evil Rat of Inexplicable Uberness.

Lishus13
8th November 2006, 11:43 PM
GOD, I absolutely despise Pikachu. For once, I want to see Regice freeze Pikachu with Liquid Nitrogen, then use Superpower, laugh in his face and say "What the **** man? Did you REALLY think you could win against a pokemon like me? Screw it!"

>_> But NO, Pikachu has to be the big hero.

Pokemon Pikachu has beaten that are WAY to strong for a volt mouse:
-Milotic (Juan + Lucy)
-Solrock + Lunatone (Liza + Tate)
-Freaking Slaking (Norman)
-Regice (Brandon)

I mean, the list goes ON AND ON!

squirtleking
9th November 2006, 11:57 AM
I know - don't forget:

Geodude (Brock/Roxanne)
Onix (Brock)
Raichu (Surge)
Rhydon (Blaine)
Miltank (Whitney)
Piloswine (Pryce)
Nosepass (Roxanne)
Wattson's entire team
Metagross (Tyson)

There's just no stopping the Evil Rat of Inexplicable Uberness.

Then again, it did get beaten by a MEOWTH for goodness sake!

crawdauntpro
9th November 2006, 8:18 PM
GOD, I absolutely despise Pikachu. For once, I want to see Regice freeze Pikachu with Liquid Nitrogen, then use Superpower, laugh in his face and say "What the **** man? Did you REALLY think you could win against a pokemon like me? Screw it!"

>_> But NO, Pikachu has to be the big hero.

Pokemon Pikachu has beaten that are WAY to strong for a volt mouse:
-Milotic (Juan + Lucy)
-Solrock + Lunatone (Liza + Tate)
-Freaking Slaking (Norman)
-Regice (Brandon)

I mean, the list goes ON AND ON!
I thought Grovyle beat Slaking? No offense, of course.

Lishus13
10th November 2006, 2:18 AM
Oh...Right. Yep, with Overgrow. Sorry, but he still has some pretty lame comebacks...such as "Aim for the Horn" Rhydon!

chaos_Ep3
10th November 2006, 3:58 AM
I don't know if this was pointed out already, but another error in the flashbacks is the fact that we see ash in the advance clothes while remembering his battle against Lt. Surge. (Or at least I think that scene is).
Also, what attacks used Regice after the Ice coffin? He used what punch: dynamic, ice or focus. And what attack was the one when Regice started to glow in circles?

Ashy Boy
27th January 2007, 6:16 PM
I don't know if I asked this once before but where was Wobbuffet in this ep?

CabbyFish
13th February 2007, 1:54 AM
This was a wonderful episode, and a great comeback for Ash. Bulbasaur beats Dusclops thanks to the aid of Leech Seed. It gets Solrock this way too. Squirtle gets its fair share of battling with Ninjask and wins. With Bulbasaur and Squirtle down for the count, it's up to Pikachu to beat the powerful Regice. I have something to say about its "urbishness":

1. Pikachu's disire to win and its spirit were strongest when landing down Volt Tackle thus providing extra strangh.

2. Regice slapped into the wall hard giving way all the energy it recovered with rest.

3. ...not to mention how hard it hit the ground resulting in its defeat...

For those asking, Regice used Ice Punch, Ice Beam, Icy Wind (I think, or was it Blizzard?), and Rest.

I know this one's going to be great dubbed, except for more animation errors. As far as I know, Regice keeps its original voice. I wonder if Solrock will. Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

Knight_Ram
17th February 2007, 10:42 AM
Awesome! I cant wait until I see this episode! its going to be so pro! The one battle i have been waiting for, for? Um, ever since I heard of it! Yay! Hope its as good as it looks from the pictures! :D

Leona
17th February 2007, 2:47 PM
i badly wanna see it :( but i have to wait until tonight to download it

Korobooshi Kojiro
17th February 2007, 3:50 PM
They said Reg-ice....

Well, even know Regi-ice sounds better, Regice is how it's spelled...and how it would look to be prounounced.

WaterDragon trainer
17th February 2007, 3:56 PM
This episode was really awesome. The battle between Bulbasaur and Dusclops was awesome. The battle between Squirtle and Ninjask was pretty good. It was also kind of cool to see Squirtle use Hydro Pump to clean its eyes from the Sand Attack. The battle with Solrock was cool, although it was kind of weird that Solrock sounded like a Noctowl. It was funny when TR got blasted off by Regirock and Registeel. It was cool to see Regice since the Lucario movie and I must say that Regice sounds A LOT cooler than the one in the movie. The battle between Pikachu and Regice was amazing.

CharizardMaster
17th February 2007, 3:57 PM
When pikachu was frozened, it sounded like Ash said "Thunder Pulse" but he really said thunder bolt. Other than that, it was a great episode!

RandomCharizard
17th February 2007, 4:00 PM
Oh god what a horrible episode.
And the animation didnt even help.
Except for the Squirtle battle, every battle had something to do with the pokemon is in trouble either confused or trapped and they need to remember all the good ol times they had with Ash. Its also pisses me off how bad the pacing was. 2 episodes? At least a three parter.

...What am I complaining about..this is pokemon. -_-

Rex Kamex
17th February 2007, 4:28 PM
I'm soooooo glad the dubbers kept that piece of Japanese music that played during the beginning of the Bulbasaur VS Dusclops match.

Munchlax66
17th February 2007, 4:37 PM
I think when Regice crashed into the wall, it caused even more damage.

CyberCubed
17th February 2007, 6:05 PM
Ash's Bulbasaur is probably the strongest Bulbasaur on the planet. I thought Bulbasaur Vs. Dusclops was the best battle of the episode, there was some really good strategy there and we saw Bulbasaur use nearly all its moves.

Ninjask Vs. Squirtle was alright, hell, I'm glad Squirtle took down at least one Pokemon. Of course Squirtle never gets to be glorified like Bulbasaur and Charizard do. :rolleyes:

Bulbasaur Vs. Solrock was ok, nothing special. I liked how we saw Regirock and Registeel one last time as they blew TR away.

Pikachu vs. Regice had some problems, but it feels more like nitpicking than anything. Volt Tackle smashed it hard at least.

I like how quickly the departures were, oddly enough. Brandon awards Ash the last symbol, Ash finally conquers the Battle Frontier, and then Brandon and his assitant take off in the Pyramid.

Scott drives Oak and Joy back to where they need to do, along with Bulbasaur to the lab. Charizard flies back to the valley, and Squirtle returns with Jenny to the Squirtle squad.

I also really liked that last group profile shot for some reason, it signals the end of AG quite nicely.

pokemonelite4leader
17th February 2007, 6:07 PM
You americans have nooooo idea how lucky you've got it we have to wait ages for sinnoh saga in uk/eu battle frontier only just started.

CabbyFish
17th February 2007, 8:51 PM
This episode is making me wonder if it's really pronounced Reg-ice or Regi-ice like it was in the 8th movie.

Anyways great battle. Bulbasaur vs. Dusclops, Squirtle vs. Ninjask, both vs. Solrock (which kept its original voice), and Pikachu vs. Regice (same). Pikachu really hits with one hard volt tackle let me tell you, and Sarah Natochenny was great just like before. Great work.

Zabi
17th February 2007, 8:56 PM
Reg-ice? I thought it was Regi-ice.

Good episode. I am glad they had Duslcops own in this episode. He doesn't get enough attention he deserves, except for that 1 contest. I am glad Squirtle got some attention as well, we don't get to see it as much as Bulbasaur and Charizard. If that Volt Tackle didn't send Regice into the wall, obviously Pikachu would have gotten owned. Only 1 shot to defeat a Legendary is a litle hard to believe, but, it did hit hard.

EDIT: Beaten about Regice, xD

S.Suikun
17th February 2007, 8:58 PM
As I've said before, Brandon's VA tries way too hard to be serious and nothing but.

I haven't really been discussing the music in the dub lately, because quite frankly, there hasn't been anything worth discussing. However, in this episode, I noticed much more Japanese music being used than usual. Heck, they even kept the Movie 8 piece when Regice battles. They still cut the Movie 8 piece at the end, but overall, it was more than I'm used to hearing for this dub.

I've actually always pronounced it "REJ-ICE". I haven't seen the dub of Movie 8, so i wouldn't know if it was different there. "REJ-EE-ICE" just doesn't suit the spelling in English, even though I believe it's pronounced that way in the Japanese version.

And the animation didnt even help.
The animation wasn't that bad. Granted, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.

Its also pisses me off how bad the pacing was. 2 episodes? At least a three parter.
Which makes the dub title incredibly ironic.

Although, I believe I said it when this ep first aired in Japan - This probably would have been paced better had the writers not wasted so much time in Part 1.

You americans have nooooo idea how lucky you've got it we have to wait ages for sinnoh saga in uk/eu battle frontier only just started.
Oh, quit whining. At least you have a non-screwy system of measuring units.

This episode is making me wonder if it's really pronounced Reg-ice or Regi-ice like it was in the 8th movie.
I'd trust the PUSA pronunciation, considering how they got Bonsly correct unlike 4Kids. Makes me want another Raikou appearance soon so we can clear that one up also.

EDIT: God, this thing took nearly 2 hours to go through. Damn you, forum lag. Damn you to hell.

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
17th February 2007, 9:08 PM
Okay...there was something wrong with that ep...when brandon's ninjask does aireal ace, squirtle dodges it, and it wasn' in the middle of dive or something either, ash just yelled DODGE IT SQUIRTLE! and it did...literely impossible. and pikachu can't even learn volt tackle unless you breed with a light ball, and he just got his pikachu from oak, he didn't breed it. Also when pikachu was frozen in a block of ice, and he used T-bolt...pokemon can't use moves when they are frozen solid!!! Even if the move could thaw/break them out...

chosen_one386
17th February 2007, 9:14 PM
Good episode...

1. Ninjask's voice was obvioulsy done by the same VA as Professor Oak's. At times, I thought Professor Oak was shouting "NINJASK!!!"

2. I like the invert effects they did with the animation when Solrock used Confusion. REALLY cool.

3. I like the 8th movie song that they put in during the Pikachu vs. Regice match, but nobody's mentioned that it's actually originally the Regi song from R/S/E when you battle the Regi...

10/10 Only two epidsodes left!!

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
17th February 2007, 9:16 PM
I don't like that ep. ash shouldn't have won...

S.Suikun
17th February 2007, 9:17 PM
Okay...there was something wrong with that ep...when brandon's ninjask does aireal ace, squirtle dodges it, and it wasn' in the middle of dive or something either, ash just yelled DODGE IT SQUIRTLE! and it did...literely impossible. and pikachu can't even learn volt tackle unless you breed with a light ball, and he just got his pikachu from oak, he didn't breed it. Also when pikachu was frozen in a block of ice, and he used T-bolt...pokemon can't use moves when they are frozen solid!!! Even if the move could thaw/break them out...
Game "Logic" =/= Anime Logic

Seriously, that Light Ball/Breed crap doesn't even make sense if you think about it logically.

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
17th February 2007, 9:33 PM
Well, i think it does, and remember when they were talking about shadow punch, and how it never misses? Well, what about aireal ace? The writers cheat for ash, i tell you, and i hate it.

Dax
17th February 2007, 9:48 PM
The animation was super crappy and it's sad because it was an important episode. It was good to see old team back in battle with Ash. I never found the battle exciting or epic, it was just a battle.

Max is really annoying me, sure he didn't talk that much but everytime he opens his mouth I want to punch him.

The repetitive strategy of Brandon in the Pikachu/ Regice battle was good but I wanted more of him. He froze Pikachu and used rest like 3 times. I wanted more strategy from him.

Bulbasaur is just awesome. He battles well and he looked scary when he was confused. His attacks really helped Ash and he proved how amazing he is and how much he can handle himself in a battle.

They gave flashbacks of Bulbasaur, Charizard and Pikachu but. no Squirtle? They cheated on me!

It was a good episode, I was expecting more but I enjoyed it a lot.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
17th February 2007, 9:50 PM
i am going to watch this episode now :) and it looks totally amazing

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
17th February 2007, 9:55 PM
It was totally luck that ash won. like i said, he shouldn't have. that ep really made me angry. i'd like to see ash try to beat me with that team.

S.Suikun
18th February 2007, 1:11 AM
Well, i think it does, and remember when they were talking about shadow punch, and how it never misses? Well, what about aireal ace? The writers cheat for ash, i tell you, and i hate it.
You're sounding a lot like an obnoxious games elitist. It makes absolutely no sense logically (Note - The games don't use actual logic. They use an imaginary numbering system to mark stats and such.) for the only way for a Pikachu to learn Volt Tackle being by having the daddy Pikachu hold some white sphere thing while having "intimate time" with mommy Pikachu. And if you watched the previous episode, Charizard's Seismic Toss was cancelled out because fighting moves have no effect on Dusclops. Right after that, Charizard was KO'd without a single victory. Cheating for Ash? Hardly.

The animation was super crappy and it's sad because it was an important episode.
Umm...for this series, the animation in this episode was adequate. Not superb in any way, but far from "super crappy".

They gave flashbacks of Bulbasaur, Charizard and Pikachu but. no Squirtle? They cheated on me!
Chances are they would have made errors with his flashbacks also. Like they did with Bulba and Charizard.

It was totally luck that ash won. like i said, he shouldn't have. that ep really made me angry. i'd like to see ash try to beat me with that team.
Thank you for confirming my above statement about RPG elitism. Yes, I'm sure your Lv. 100 Rayquaza and your hacked Shiny Arseus could crush everyone in the anime. Now position yourself in the anime realisitically. You think you can take on a Rayquaza, capture it, and tame it?

CyberCubed
18th February 2007, 1:14 AM

Didn't he lose to Brandon enough? Losing to him three times would be overkill.

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
18th February 2007, 1:21 AM
Okay, it is not just in that ep, they cheat for ash ALL THE TIME. And if you ask me, i don't think ash should ever win. i hate him no offense to anyone.

RandomCharizard
18th February 2007, 1:22 AM
The animation wasn't that bad. Granted, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.

The animation was sub-par at best, actually.

They also screwed up flashbacks... AGAIN.
They also reused move animations a lot. Like ash commanding his pokemon. Dusclop's will-o-wisp..etc. They did that whole "To be continued art" before every commercial break so they didnt have to animate it. Lazy artist. :(

I'll say it again, it seems like the animators were mad at their low salary and took the piss out on the episode.
They did that whole "To be continued art" before every commercial break so they didnt have to animate it. Lazy artist. :(
Why did the writers hire people like this for one of the most important battles in this saga?
Why? Pokemon is a RICH franchise and I'm pretty sure they have enough money to get some GOOD artist.

Oh wow...I'm ranting about a kid's show..new low RC.

Zabi
18th February 2007, 1:26 AM

If he didn't win, he would never be able to beat him. It said it was his last chance, so he HAD to win. Besides like many people said, the Anime is a whole different thing from the games.

Besides, if he lost to all 3 Regi's, and he had more ubers on his team (even though he wouldn't), how would he win then?

-BoF

R_N
18th February 2007, 1:51 AM
Meh, it was a good episode. Not great, but not horrid.
What bugged me the most was that they pronounce Regice "Reg ice". I thought it was pronounced Regi Ice.

Also, the flashbacks of stuff that never actually happened. & Wil-o-wisp as an actual attack. Thats just stupid.

As a side note: I can't belive that PUSA kept not only the bullseyes on TR's FORHEADS, but also the japanese text on teh Battle Frontier Plaque. Purists must be happy(u).

Almighty Zard
18th February 2007, 2:02 AM
Why are people complainging about the pronouncing of Regice's name, for it to be Regi-ice there would have to be two I's instead of one.

I still hold firm that Pikachu's win was rather cheap, but the rest of the battle was great.

S.Suikun
18th February 2007, 2:13 AM
Okay, it is not just in that ep, they cheat for ash ALL THE TIME. And if you ask me, i don't think ash should ever win. i hate him no offense to anyone.
I'd chalk that one up as blatant character bashing.

The animation was sub-par at best, actually.
Especially when compared to the previous episode (which may rank as one of the Top 5 most hideous episodes in the history of the anime.), this show has certainly done worse in the past. And they've certainly done better also. Hiromi Funantsu is completely middle-of-the-road.

They also reused move animations a lot. Like ash commanding his pokemon. Dusclop's will-o-wisp..etc.
Stock footage. Money-saving tactic that's nothing new for this series. Especially when a Steelix is involved.

They did that whole "To be continued art" before every commercial break so they didnt have to animate it. Lazy artist. :(
Assuming you're referring to that "sketchy" freeze frame style, then again, happens all the time, even when not "To be continued". It's more of a style method than "laziness".

Why did the writers hire people like this for one of the most important battles in this saga?
Why? Pokemon is a RICH franchise and I'm pretty sure they have enough money to get some GOOD artist.
Honestly, I think it's just where the cards happen to fall. There's numerous important episodes that have been really well-animated, like the Battle Dome and Kanto GF Part 3, and those same directors also get pegged for some totally pointless fillers. Works that way with the mediocre teams also.

What bugged me the most was that they pronounce Regice "Reg ice". I thought it was pronounced Regi Ice.
Well, it makes more sense in a way, considering the spelling and all.

Also, the flashbacks of stuff that never actually happened. & Wil-o-wisp as an actual attack. Thats just stupid.
Eh, not the first or last time an attack that's normally non-damage-dealing has dealt damage. I'd imagine that flames would hurt, anyways. As for the flashbacks, yeah...

As a side note: I can't belive that PUSA kept not only the bullseyes on TR's FORHEADS, but also the japanese text on teh Battle Frontier Plaque. Purists must be happy(u).
I don't believe that was real Japanese text, but rather random scribbles. The kind 4Kids always confused for foreign text. PUSA hasn't painted away any text or bull's-eyes (see Regirock and Registeel battles, and the bull's-eye was on Torkoal's forehead) this season.

The Great Butler
18th February 2007, 2:19 AM
DAMMIT!

dammitdammitdammitdammitDAMMIT!!!!

I f*&#ing HATE my goddamn VCR. Just like last week, it taped WITH NO FRIGGING SOUND AGAIN!!

Now I've lost the Charizard/Dusclops part of the battle, and have to hope and pray that the damn VCR works next week...

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
18th February 2007, 3:58 AM
It's not character bashing. I was simply stating my opinion.

cassius335
18th February 2007, 4:25 AM

I'll go along with one part of that, at least. Aerial Ace isn't supposed to miss. Maybe Ninjask only just learned it?

But of course the writers cheat for Ash when convinient. He's the main character after all.

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
18th February 2007, 4:32 AM
That's my point. I hate it when they do that. I think i will e-mail nintendo and complain.>:D

Jonouchi
18th February 2007, 4:36 AM
That's my point. I hate it when they do that. I think i will e-mail nintendo and complain.>:D

Complaining is nothing but wasting your time. Blame the writers, not nintendo. And he gets a decent losing streak once he faces Gary anyway.

Seriously, that's nothing but character bashing and you know it.

Ok episode for the most part. Except Solrock. SOLROCK ISN'T A BIRD!!!

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in that head of theirs?

Rocket_Kitty_Umbreon
18th February 2007, 4:43 AM
Oh, i don't care if i am wasting my time. It's not like i have anything better to do.

Cobalt_Latios
18th February 2007, 5:30 AM
Wow, just a great episode. One that truly marks a grand finale for Ash's Frontier quest.

A few things I want to say.

Bulbasaur vs. Dusclops. Very good. It was great of how the battle was done, and it seems like forever that we have yet to see Ash actually beat anything Brandon uses. I also liked that when Bulbasaur was confused, it actually hurt itself, just like the game. Even if it was something minor, im still glad. Makes it that more gamelike. Leech Seed having a similar "ingame" effect was also great. Granted they made it fair by not having it give Bulbasaur extra energy. Nice to see this kind of stuff being used like so and yet have a "realistic" approach.

Ninjask vs. Squirtle. Pretty good. I want to know this, is it possible that they got the guy who voices Munchlax to voice Ninjask aswell. Listen carefully. Anyway, a well done fight. I would have preferred Ash telling Squirtle to use Hydro Pump for Double Team, but as long a Water Gun worked well, then I'm satisfied. I also forgot that it knew Skull Bash, probably because I'm so used to May's Squirtle's moveset. Sand Attack, actually did what it was supposed to. Yes, it blinded it, but that still sorta goes with Accuracy. Even if only a little bit. I found it funny that Joy wrote down the use of Hydro Pump to clean the sand, neat.

Solrock vs. Bulbasaur. Why did PUSA think a meteorite should sound like an owl. Not that it's a problem, but it doesnt fit Solrock. Yes we probably wont be seeing it for a long time, but that doesnt mean we can do this to it.
The battle itself was quite good, and it was neat that Psywave's varying effect actually happened. Solarbeam taking out both was sort of a weird idea, but it makes it more worthwhile so that Pikachu can finish it off(not that Bulbasaur could of taken out Regice, but...).

Regice vs. Pikachu. Again with the robotic voice, and it's pronounced Regis(i suppose i high voice for Regice in Pokemon: LatMoM doesnt really fit it that well anyway). Now, IMO the only reason Ash was able to beat Regice was for the fact that it was the only Regi not to have Lock-On. If it did, part three(yeah I think it's a semi-cheap attack).
Dual Iron Tail was quite cool to see, but did anyone else notice this: when Pikachu used Volt Tackle, it gives you the impression that the stage is at least 4x the size than what it really is. And apparently, Pikachu gave it everything it had when it slammed into Regice. Having Regice know Focus Punch was a bit overused, but Rest was a nice change.

Overall, this episode did what it had to do, and presented us with the kind of showdown your expecting from something like this. I enjoyed it, and I think this really does give us the real "Johto League-esque" ending we were all wanting to see. IMO, the next episode: Once more, with Reeling will be the equivalent of "Gotta Catch ya later!" and the last AG episode will be the equivalent of "Hoenn Alone".

2 episodes left till you guys are faced with dreaded reruns. By that time, AB here in Canada should be about near the Hoenn League, if not passed there. Unless us Canadians do infact get BF, which i somewhat doubt at this time(and despite this, i was still able to watch it).

~C_L~

R_N
18th February 2007, 5:37 AM
Oh, you'll love DP if you want Ash to lose. A lot. A lot, a lot.

S.Suikun
18th February 2007, 5:40 AM
I'll go along with one part of that, at least. Aerial Ace isn't supposed to miss. Maybe Ninjask only just learned it?

But of course the writers cheat for Ash when convinient. He's the main character after all.
I'm pretty sure Swellow's Aerial Ace has missed in the past. Did the anime ever establish it as a guarantee-hit attack in the first place?

Yeah, good luck with that. Especially since Nintendo has next to nothing to do with writing the show.

Solrock vs. Bulbasaur. Why did PUSA think a meteorite should sound like an owl. Not that it's a problem, but it doesnt fit Solrock. Yes we probably wont be seeing it for a long time, but that doesnt mean we can do this to it
Solrock had the exact same voice it had in the Japanese version. PUSA did nothing to it. Lemme cue you in on something - If a Pokemon doesn't say its English name and just uses some grunt or noise, chances are it's not a dubbed voice.

Besides, Solrock sounded like Electabuzz in its previous appearances.

IMO, the next episode: Once more, with Reeling will be the equivalent of "Gotta Catch ya later!" and the last AG episode will be the equivalent of "Hoenn Alone".
Not really. "Hoenn Alone" was basically a pointless and dreadfully boring filler that served no purpose other than setting up Pikachu's illness for AG01. "Home is Where the Start is" is more the equivalent of "Gotta Catch Ya Later", with the whole goodbyes taking place and all.

Sir Devious
18th February 2007, 6:01 AM
It was pretty weired at the end. How does ONE volt tackle from Pikachu take down Regice? He just got out of the rest... I thought that was weired. I also thought Brandon would turn into one of those Confuse Ray spammers... and you guys know the assistant? Yeah his hat reminds me of Wobbafet (sp?) at times and sometimes it reminds me of > _<

Sir Devious
18th February 2007, 6:07 AM

Me two!!! But I get used to Pokemon names really fast, so it is already in my vocabulary as that. I hated it for about 5 minutes then I got used to it. Same with Turtwig. When the episode aired I tryed to pay attention because I was confused on how it was pernounced.

Cobalt_Latios
18th February 2007, 8:10 AM
Solrock had the exact same voice it had in the Japanese version. PUSA did nothing to it. Lemme cue you in on something - If a Pokemon doesn't say its English name and just uses some grunt or noise, chances are it's not a dubbed voice.

Didnt see the Japanese version. Okay that solves that.

Not really. "Hoenn Alone" was basically a pointless and dreadfully boring filler that served no purpose other than setting up Pikachu's illness for AG01. "Home is Where the Start is" is more the equivalent of "Gotta Catch Ya Later", with the whole goodbyes taking place and all.

I meant in the fact of content/concept and of basic idea. I did not mean it by plot. If so i would not have mentioned it. Timeline wise also fits.

Perhaps this will work better: "Pace the Final Frontier" is more similar to "Jhoto Photo Finish", whereas "Once More With Reeling", and the episode that follows, will be the equivalent of "Gotta Catch Ya Later!". Because in P-TFF, Ash has the second part of his Final Frontier battle. JPF is the same basic idea except Ash loses. Also in both, Ash decides to do something after he heads home(not sure about JPF).
Hopefully it makes more sense now.

~C_L~

133tSneasel
18th February 2007, 8:07 PM
Bulbasaur was one of Ash's favorites. I feel that Ash would have been a grass trainer, that's why he got some much stop light. Besides Gary had a squirtle as a starter, so they need to do something else. And Charizard already had is moment in the sun. ANd Pikachu had to be last.

CabbyFish
18th February 2007, 8:48 PM

Yep, Solrock did indeed keep its original voice. I watched the Japanese version of the episode earlier that week so I should know. Regice also kept its original voice just like the other regis.

Deception
18th February 2007, 8:57 PM
Is it just me,or do all the regis sound the same?Anyway,the episode was a bit of a letdown IMO.

Kaasuti
18th February 2007, 9:35 PM
i liked tyhis episode alot, seeing charizard get beaten for once was quite amusing.I also liked how pikachu won the match :)

go pika!

Leona
18th February 2007, 9:49 PM
this episode rocked!, i liked the fact that we saw Regirock and Registeel again :P in that scene with team rocket, that was funny lol

cassius335
19th February 2007, 5:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Swellow's Aerial Ace has missed in the past. Did the anime ever establish it as a guarantee-hit attack in the first place?

I hope so, other wise what does it do?

RageKaiser
19th February 2007, 7:18 PM
I'm sorry, But when Solrock was sent out, Did anyone else think "Pidgeotto?"

Professor Oak was obviously inside a Ninjask Costume during that battle :(

But uh, This was a good episode, Another good job by PUSA

It's sad that TR didn't get to do much besides dig and climb in this episode.

But, I did like this episode.

Jonouchi
19th February 2007, 8:45 PM
I'm sorry, But when Solrock was sent out, Did anyone else think "Pidgeotto?"

I believe I heard someone say that Solrock kept it's original voice. If anyone can confirm this for me....?

RageKaiser
19th February 2007, 9:38 PM
I believe I heard someone say that Solrock kept it's original voice. If anyone can confirm this for me....?

Just saw the japanese clip, and yes, It kept it's japanese voice.

Medea
20th February 2007, 12:23 AM
That was one sweet battle...It's a damn shame that Ash won it.

Just kidding, I'm glad that he finally beat Brandon. Very close. Something I didn't mention in the episode before this, was that Bulbasaur's new voice bugged me more so. Great to hear that Solrock kept it's original voice.

And that's about all I want to say here.

wobbanut
20th February 2007, 5:14 AM
Terrific end to the Battle Frontier Brains battles. Ash did some good strategizing against Brendan, the battles were awesome, and it was a big relief that Ash finally beat Brendan (I already saw the pictures a year ago and knew he won, but the episode still had me on the edge of my seat the entire way). Great episode, and I can't wait for the next two weeks with the conclusion to season nine.

9/10.

flyboy1308
20th February 2007, 5:39 PM
They pronounced Regice pretty weirdlike...

TheBuddyBud
20th February 2007, 7:04 PM
Well, what the fck can they do..... They take literal translations over common sense....

Almighty Zard
20th February 2007, 7:08 PM
They pronounced Regice pretty weirdlike...

I thought it was prenounced right for a change, if it was Regi-ice then there would need to be two i's in it's name.

TheBuddyBud
20th February 2007, 7:20 PM
I just wanted to point out again, that Ninjask's dub voice is pathetic

SheWhoLovesPineapples
21st February 2007, 6:22 AM
Is this the second-to-last episode of dub season to nine? Or what? (Sorry I sound like a n00b...)

S.Suikun
21st February 2007, 6:31 AM
Third-to-last of Battle frontier. Season 9 actually goes a few episodes into Diamond/Pearl.

CabbyFish
22nd February 2007, 3:43 AM
I just wanted to point out again, that Ninjask's dub voice is pathetic

All I can say is that Zoppi did the voice differently than the way he did in the Bonsly episode.

starterlover1
22nd February 2007, 3:48 AM
I loved the episode. A good match between Ash and Brandon, and of course Pikachu won in the last bit. I believe Season 9 goes into DP a bit. If it does, then I can't wait to hear the voices for Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup.

Rizadon
23rd February 2007, 3:37 AM
this was the best episode, BAR-NONE!

Darkness Angel
7th March 2007, 2:14 AM
if Brandon had used Regirock and registeel he would have won.

Voltrex
29th March 2007, 10:25 PM
I hate that they made Charizard look like a wimp in this episode.

bhrettzerda053
26th March 2008, 12:47 PM
Ash here lost 2 matches from Brandon. First, he lost to his Regirock, then his Torkoal lost to Registeel, and finally, he won the last match by using his Pikachu against his Regice. Not bad, a Pokemon could sometimes manage to defeat a legendary Pokemon. Well. it could be possible, but they sport powerful attacks to stun others out. I didn't know when did Ash's Pikachu learn Iron Tail, yet it's dealing Regice's double damage because it's a Steel-type attack. Pikachu got frozen at first in the battle (according to other threads), but good thing it used 2 Iron Tails in one attack, where Regice fainted in the last match.

dman_dustin
4th April 2008, 2:12 PM
as far as i'm concerned Pikachu (while fighting impressively) pulled a cheap win against Regice.

Not really. It was the first Volt Tackle Pikachu could pull off, thus it would've mean had Pikachu used Volt tackle (or had Volt tackle beeen allowed to hit in the beginning of the match Ash would've won.

It's kind of like saying that a Gyrados wouldn't be knocked out by a strong electric after using rest when Pikachu used his other attacks.

The writers wanted the match to last a long time, how stupid would it have been if Pikachu used Volt tackle in the beginning and won the match right then and there.

Also let's also consider that if this was game like, Pikachu could've struck Regice with a critical hit, even doubling the damage, add the wall and the hell with Rest.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
31st October 2008, 10:51 AM
i lilked the strategy brandon used.trapping pikachu and then using rest so that pikachu cant attack it. Aswome episode.

Tadashi
1st November 2008, 12:37 AM
Great battle! I was happy to see Bulbasaur and Squirtle back in action again! ^^

I was especially happy to see Pikachu defeat Regice. I swear, I was half expecting another loss. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed this time!

I'm also glad Ash declined the offer to be a Frontier Brain. I like him better as a Trainer. I don't think he's ready to be a Frontier Brain. I mean, he lost to Roark, WTF? A Frontier Brain he is not, but I'm still proud of him & his Pok&#233;mon ^^

Torpoleon
9th November 2008, 1:16 AM
How does Pikachu's Volt tackle knock out Regice in one hit when Regice just finished rest?

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 6:58 PM
Great battle. I loved seeing Bulbasaur and Squirtle battle again. I wish he had used some of his Johto team but oh well. Terrific episode.

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 4:20 PM
I think they did Ash proud, and he finally managed to beat Brandon.

I'm glad he turned down Scott's offer, because that would be an end to the series.

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 9:24 PM
it has been some time ago since i saw bulbasaur & squirtle so it was good to see them again, i'd say 8/10.

TorterraGuy
5th June 2009, 10:31 PM
I was shocked to see Pikachu take down Regice. I thought that Pikachu was going to lose. Honest.

Littlemyuu
10th June 2009, 2:46 PM
Love it, also that Ash's old Pokemon return to beat the final Frontier...good memories ^^

Splitzman
27th June 2009, 2:40 AM
This was quite the good episode. After seeing Charizard lose to Dusclops was quite the shock considering the outcome of Charizard vs. Articuno. Have Ninjask and Solrock gave them screen time that they haven't received much and put them in the spotlight. The battle with those two vs. their opponents were well-played and a bit suspensful. It was nice to see the Confusion impairment and returning them, a common strategy seen in the game. Regice got screentime and put up a good battle against Pikachu, freezing the field, and utilizing Rest. However, Pikachu winning was a bit cheap after Regice's Rest. Outside of that, the battles were good and the episode was a good way to almost close the Battle Frontier.

9/10 (Pikachu's win took it down one point).

Shadow XD001
27th June 2009, 2:09 PM
This was great. It was nice seeing all of Ash's old Pokemon again, but I will Charizard had some more Screen Time in the battle. Otherwise, it was great!

Ash-kid
25th July 2009, 1:00 PM
Bulbasaur was great here, actually it was the strongest pokemon here, beating 2 of Brandon's pokemon.
I've noticed that they showed how Bulbasaur has battled Jackson's Meganium, but Ash's clothes were from Hoenn...

catzisconfus
15th August 2009, 6:49 PM
brandon used regice as i predicted ^^
but pikachu beat regice in 1 attack because regice used rest and was completely healed ...

firestar319
8th October 2009, 1:48 AM
One of the best battles in the Battle Frontier (another being Charizard vs Articuno). It was awesome seeing Bulbasaur and Squirtle together again, with them both kickin butt. A great battle overall, but I will never understand how Pikachu's Volt Tackle took out Regice in one hit after it used rest...

Surfer_Dude
25th October 2009, 12:07 PM
Good episode! 10/10

Love these kind of episodes with important battles. If ash would've lost again...well...then it would've ran into D/P

Lorde
20th November 2009, 8:56 AM
I love the title and how it relates to the Battle Frontier.

Regice versus Pikachu was the only good part I think. Seeing Ash finally get the last symbol gave me goosebumps. 6/10

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 2:27 AM
Great episode, Ash had to win sometime I think this is the most time he had rematched anyone besides Gary but he's not a gym leader/BF Brain, three times while all the others were two times (I think right?).

Shame Charizard lost so soon but good that Pikachu defeated Regice just in time (I am surprised he didn't use the other two either but I guess Brendon thought that might be a little unfair, three legendaries). I am also glad he declined to be a Battle Frontier Brain otherwise the series might have to end (Well maybe not but how would they run the series with him as a brain I wonder?), he is better to be an Pokemon trainer.
I would have declined too wanting to explore more places, battle more Leagues and catch Pokemon.

saar
23rd June 2010, 5:36 PM
It's not a shame, Charziard is a pokemon and it might lose, but yeah I was hoping for him to defeat Brandon's Rejice.
I have to say that Bulbasaur's wins against Brandon (and one draw) have opened the door for Ash to get the win VS. Brandon, without him Ash would have lost. And I liked Squirtle although it lost.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 2:32 PM
Awesome battle..... the battle between Pikachu and Regice was amazing... Defeating a legendary pokemon is no easy job but that volt tackle did a critical hit it looked like....So that completes all seven symbols

Painkiller2001
27th January 2011, 6:40 AM
So, Ash now has all seven Frontier symbols and is induted into the BF Hall od Fame. Good for him!

Thus endeth his BF adventure!.... in two more episodes.

SatanJr
27th January 2011, 10:06 AM
Although it would've been bad for Ash to take a spot as a frontier brain, I would've liked to see him as a brain. It would've been kinda awesome to see the one trainer that'd come and beat Ash.

Fortunato
26th February 2011, 6:26 AM
i liked the episode and yeah it woulda been cool to see ash become a frontier brain but then who would become our new forever 10 years old protagonist? just wouldnt be the same without ash

thousand pokemon
10th March 2011, 6:07 PM
I wonder how he got regice if it was non anime Pikachu would only have lasted
one second.

G50
27th April 2011, 4:12 AM
This episode was cool. It was great to see them show how Shadow Punch cannot be avoided. It was cool to see Bulbasaur use its seldom-used Leech Seed attack on Solrock and Dusclops. It made both much easier to defeat. It was very clever for Ash to have Squirtle to use Hydro Pump to clear its eyes. It was cool to see Squirtle use Skull Bash to defeat Ninjask. It wasn't too surprising that Solrock and Bulbasaur knocked each other out with Solarbeam. It was cool to see Regice in this episode. Regice was a tough Pokemon for Pikachu, it kept using Rest which kept giving it back its energy. It was cool that Pikachu used Volt Tackle to finish off Regice and the battle. I'm glad Ash won the Battle Frontier

99/100

Vernikova
4th October 2012, 8:37 PM
One Volt Tackle and down goes Regice. The battle wasn't really the best to be honest.

Caseydia
4th October 2012, 11:09 PM
The best battle in the history of battles! I was rooting for Squirtle in this fight. I wish it could have took out the retarded looking sun but oh well. Nice job though. Charizard does get on my nerves sometimes. And even though if Ash rejected the Brain offer, he could still ask for Brandon's pramid ship to ride around with everywhere. That would have been awesome.9/10

PokemontrainerY
9th August 2013, 4:56 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes, one of the Best battles of Pokemon Anime occurred in this episode.

Ash and Brandan's battle continiues ...... Ash sent out Bulbasaur to battle Dusclops. Dusclops uses Mean Look and hits him with two Shadow Punch,
But Bulbasaur still managed to defeat Dusclops by hitting it with a powerful Solarbeam.
Next, Brandan sent out a Ninjask and Ash swapped for Sqiurtle. Sqiurtle puts up a great battle and defeats Ninjask .... but sadly it loses to Solrock, who knocks it out by using Solarbeam.
Bulbasaur and Solrock's battle was great too, it ends in a draw.
The final battle between Regice and Pikachu was the best part of this episode, I liked how Pikachu shattered the Ice around him and also parlyzed Regice by using Thunderbolt. It was awesome when Pikachu knocked Regice out with Volt Tackle and won the battle.
Ash finally defeats the frontier brain Brandan and gets the Brave Symbol ..... And he also gets postitioned in the Hall of Fame of Battle Frontier.
I'm glad he finally won something big after the Orange League.
This episode nicely made up for the last episode, where Charizard had to lose terribly.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2014, 3:34 AM
That was one awsome battle! :)
Glad Ash conquered and beat the Battle Frontier!

Mean Look and then Confuse Ray?
What a scary, yet unique move combo. :)

Lorde
1st December 2014, 3:51 AM
I cheered when Bulbasaur beat Brandon's Dusclops; his Leech Seed strategy was a surprise tbh. Seeing Ash's Squirtle slay Ninjask was cool as well since I didn't think a fast Pokemon like Ninjask would be beaten so easily. Team Rocket digging and encountering Regirock and Registeel at the Battle Pyramid and getting blasted away made me cackle.