PDA

View Full Version : Side pokemon

Ballade
4th September 2006, 5:35 AM
Ok, I want to add a couple of side pokemon to my team so that I can adapt to situations more easily

Metagross
(calm nature)-----his attack is high enough already that it wouldn't affect him by much and he could stand to use some Sp. def
Meteor Mash
Psychic
EQ
Shadow Ball

Sceptile
(Mild/quirky nature)----tell me which one to use, I have two lv. 5 Treeckos that have those natures
Leaf Blade
Dragon Claw
EQ-----in case of emergancy
Thunder Punch

Zangoose
(need a new nature, it has quiet >.<)
Crush Claw
Slash
Swords Dance
Shadow Ball
-----------filler, but if I can, Aerial Ace

Electabuzz
(-----don't have one yet)
Thunderbolt
Crosschop/brick break
Ice Punch
Thunderwave

So, what do you guys think?

blaziken05
4th September 2006, 5:45 AM
Ok, I want to add a couple of side pokemon to my team so that I can adapt to situations more easily

Metagross@Choice Band
(calm nature)-----his attack is high enough already that it wouldn't affect him by much and he could stand to use some Sp. def
Meteor Mash
Explosion
EQ
Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb

Sceptile@Leftovers
(Mild/quirky nature)----tell me which one to use, I have two lv. 5 Treeckos that have those natures Timid
Leaf Blade
Substitute
Leech Seed
Thunder Punch

So, what do you guys think?

10charlimit

Ballade
4th September 2006, 6:01 AM
1. I hate hate hate HATE explosion, I'm in the Frontier and if it gets to a point where Metagross is on the verge of being KOd, I don't want some sort of ray of hope having the attack miss and yet he still gets KOd since he used Explosion. Yeah, I could use it against the next one, but then again, odds are it'll die before it can use it since it's so slow. Sludge Bomb? what's that good against? just grass and bug types, if the later is weak against it. If I'm going to have a poison attack, Toxic would've been a better choice since the damage increases over time.

2. Not too fond of Leech Seed, since even though it saps off health, I had horrible luck with that move before (I used it almost countless times before and I only managed to get it to hit the opponent ONCE, in many different fights). Subsitute I'll work with, but only if another move is used with it (some sort of sub combo). btw, wouldn't it be better to increase Sp. Atk or the Defenses over Atk?

blaziken05
4th September 2006, 7:22 AM
You could always go with Agiligross:

Metagross@Leftovers
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Rock Slide

Sludge Bomb is there more because it's more effective than Shadow Ball. Since a STAB Meteor Mash does about as much as a SE Shadow Ball. Sludge Bomb does significantly more damage to grass and bugs than Meteor Mash.

Well, in that case, you could go with the special sweeping variation:

Sceptile@ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrowth
Modest Nature (+Sp.Att, -Spd)
-Leaf Blade
-ThunderPunch
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw

Earthquake isn't there because it's not going to do much with Sceptile's attack.

Timid is +Spd -Att. More useful

Shadow Tyranitar
4th September 2006, 7:55 AM
sludge bomb isn't for bug types........................

leech seed?bad luck?what does it say ----- evaded the attack??? you can't give up on it because it says that a few times..................

Frost Nova
4th September 2006, 9:39 AM
Sceptile needs speed, so Timid.

Sceptile@lefties / Petaya Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sub
- Endeavor
- T-Punch

Endeavor's from Swampert.

howdodo
4th September 2006, 6:17 PM
yeah but sceptiles already fast enough as it is

Rudibaker
4th September 2006, 6:30 PM
The more speed the better you want to make sure it goes first most of the time. There are fast pokes that are almost as fast as Sceptile that could KO it doesnt go first...like Dugtrio for example.

Ballade
4th September 2006, 6:39 PM
You could always go with Agiligross:

Metagross@Leftovers
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Rock Slide

Sludge Bomb is there more because it's more effective than Shadow Ball. Since a STAB Meteor Mash does about as much as a SE Shadow Ball. Sludge Bomb does significantly more damage to grass and bugs than Meteor Mash.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'll see what Metagross' stats are when it evolves. I think agility > another attack would work since it's so slow and since it's only weak against two types, it's could survive against alot of attacks. I'll see what it's stats are and then decide so that I can use it alot better. If all else fails, I'll just clone it two or three times to get the best of them all.

Well, in that case, you could go with the special sweeping variation:

Sceptile@ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrowth
Modest Nature (+Sp.Att, -Spd)
-Leaf Blade
-ThunderPunch
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw

Earthquake isn't there because it's not going to do much with Sceptile's attack.

I only put EQ so that he wouldn't be caught off guard by a Fire or Electric type. I do like the fact that it's sp. atk is really good, but what about a Calm nature or a bold nature? Since it's attack is completely useless with that set, wouldn't the nature that increases it's defenses work better (since it's sp. def is greater than it's def. and it's sp. atk is higher than it's sp. def)?

read bold print

@ Shadow Tyranitar:
Yes it does, my luck absolutly sucks with that move. I went to the Battle Factory and used Leech Seed with an Ivysaur and everytime I used LS, it missed (and I didn't use it on a grass type, in fact it was a water type I tried to hit the first time, a rock the second, and a fighting the third)

@ Frost Nova:
It's as fast as a lightning bolt, why bother increasing a very high stat and decreasing something useful when you could increase the stat and decrease the useless stat.

The more speed the better you want to make sure it goes first most of the time. There are fast pokes that are almost as fast as Sceptile that could KO it doesnt go first...like Dugtrio for example.

Ummmm, point to me a Dugtrio that knows Flamethrower/Fire Blast or Ice Beam/Blizzard and can use it well. Dugtrio gets PWNED by a Sceptile badly since Grass-types are resistant to ground and, even though Dugtrio can learn Aerial Ace, Sceptile's defenses make it able to withstand at least one Aerial Ace before it finishes Dugtrio off with a Leaf Blade. Plus, not many people teach Dugtrio Aerial Ace unless they're confident that it will work. Even HP flying would have trouble hitting since there's the chance it can miss.

Oh yeah, what about the other pokemon? What about them?

blaziken05
4th September 2006, 8:38 PM
Rudibaker is possibly thinking of HP Bug Dugtrio competitively. Which would kill Sceptile, but there's none of those around ingame.

WhiteWizard42
4th September 2006, 8:45 PM
um, duggy in non-NB battles should still have sludge bomb, which OHKOs sceppy.

Ballade
5th September 2006, 12:16 AM
um, duggy in non-NB battles should still have sludge bomb, which OHKOs sceppy.

I don't have "duggy" and don't plan to. Plus, it's not like it would matter anyway since there isn't many Dugtrio running around the Frontier, nor do I know anyone with a Dugtrio in their main party.

@ blaziken05
That would make more since, but like I said before, not many Dugtrio are in the Frontier and even then they probably wouldn't have Hidden Power. Even if they did, there's a good chance of it being something else other than bug.

I would still like to know what I should do with the other Pokemon.

chubb-o-wub
5th September 2006, 1:43 PM
Metagross
(calm nature)-----his attack is high enough already that it wouldn't affect
WHAT?It's Adamant, not Calm.
If you're SO worried about it, try this.

Metagross@Scope Lens
Adamant
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-EQ
-Shadow Ball

Frost Nova
5th September 2006, 4:03 PM
lefties. It's always lefties, except with Choice Banders and the BF.

Ballade
5th September 2006, 11:38 PM
lefties. It's always lefties, except with Choice Banders and the BF.

The Frontier is where I'm at. The whole point in my team is to combat against anything I meet in the Frontier so that I have a wide range of attacks. If I go to the pyramids and find out that there's going to be alot of poisoning types, I can get my 3 steel pokemon to skip on through. If I'm going to be fighitng the Regi pokemon, I can have a strong fighting, a strong fire, and a strong water pokemon with me.

Shadow Tyranitar
8th September 2006, 8:14 AM
registeel knows eq,so sending out a fire type is dumb.(unless you send out a charizard)Don't do that.The rest of your plan to have a fire,water,and a fighting type to fight brandon in the pyramid may be ok.............

dragontamer_blake
8th September 2006, 9:13 AM
this moveset is also an option on metagross
metagross@cb(i think)
rockslide
eq
explosion/agility/sludge bomb/shadow ball
meteor mash

K-os
8th September 2006, 9:35 AM
This set works fine for metagross:

EQ
Sludge Bomb
Meteor Mash
Agility

If you don't have EQ, go with psychic or rock slide

~K-os~;249-d;

Shadow Tyranitar
8th September 2006, 7:51 PM
My metagross had this after emerald came out...............

Metagross@leftovers
hardy nature(i wanted max control of his stats)

rockslide
eq
ice punch
psychic

don't pay any atttention to the nature or anything,but the moves work very well with proper ev training.......................................... ..........

Mysticalman Luigi
8th September 2006, 8:28 PM
Yeah !

Just ev train and you don't have to pay attention to the nature or anything !

Ballade
9th September 2006, 6:50 AM
How about these pokemon and stats?
Slaking
careful nature
EQ
Return
Hyper Beam
Shadow ball

Zangoose
careful nature
Slash
Swords Dance
Shadow Ball
thunder wave

Metagross
calm nature
Shadow ball/Agility
EQ
Psychic
Meteor Mash

Sceptile
bold nature
Leaf Blade
Thunder Punch
Dragon Claw
Crunch

Electabuzz
bold nature
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Barrier
Ice Punch

Scizor/scyther
@scope lens
jolly/adamant nature
steel wing/slash
silver wind
swords dance
agility/aerial ace

I have a friend with FireRed, so I can trade with him to get alot of the pokemon needed to make the team. I want a Scizor and a Scyther so I can adjust my team if i need to. I want Electabuzz with Barrier since it can use it's speed to help get in a Barrier before a physical attack is used and then it will be a serious powerhouse once it's used Barrier 3 times. Sceptile is there so I can have a powerful grass-type pokemon in reserve. Slaking and Zangoose are there just for power-houses; Slaking as a tank and smasher, while Zangoose is a haymaker.

Shadow Tyranitar
9th September 2006, 7:15 AM
Sceptile@leftovers
modest nature

t-punch
leaf blade
crunch
hp rock/aa/bb/dragon claw

Scizor@leftovers
adamant nature

hp ground
silver wind
aa
swords dance

Electabuzz is good.
slaking should be adamant,otherwise he is good.
Zangoose nature should be adamant.

Sorry for being out-of order......

there are a few more things wrong,but.................................

Ballade
9th September 2006, 6:40 PM
Well, I picked out the worst stats for them, and then the stats that are more useful and picked out a nature that worked best for them (for example, I picked calm for Slaking and Zangoose because their sp. def stat is one of their lower stats and since they don't have any sp. atk-types, I figured why not boost sp. def and decrease sp. atk so they can take on a sp. atk and live)

I know that Slaking could have a greater moveset, but the thing is, Focus Punch is only useful in-game if you can paralyze/sleep the enemy, or if you increase your evasion/lower their accuracy so that you can hit them without being hit. Very few pokemon in the Frontier use non-attacking moves.

Oh yeah, would Jolteon be a good Electric type? and what's a powerful Dark-type that uses dark moves well? (Oh yes, just to let you know, my friend who traded me many of the pokemon on my side team has R/S/E and only FireRed. If his GC was working he could use his Colloseum (sp?) game to trade some other pokemon)

Shadow Tyranitar
9th September 2006, 6:53 PM
competitive, that first focus punch strategy is worthless.No one,not even the computer,is stupid enough to sit there and let you fp them just because they are asleep or paralyzed.The second one works but it waste too many moveslots.This isn't necessarily for slaking,it sucks because it pours everything mostly into 1 move,but here it is:

sub
fp
d-team
filler

there aren't many dark types that use dark type moves well.tyranitar does.Arcanine and manectric aren't dark types,but their eg move crunch,with there good sp atk can really leave a dent.jolteon with hp dark is awesome,since he is the only eevee evo that can't learn bite..........

Ballade
10th September 2006, 7:12 PM
Ok, how about:

Arcanine:
Extremespeed
Flamethrower
Crunch
Iron Tail

Houndoom:
Crunch
Flamethrower
Faint Attack
Shadow Ball

Jolteon:
HP-Water-----If I decide to get this, then tell me how to freakin' calculate the values needed to get it. Too much effort in getting this, so help me find an easier way.
Thunderwave
Thunderbolt
Return/double team

Nidoking:
Sludgebomb
EQ
Megahorn
Rock Slide