PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

Solar Crimson
4th September 2006, 6:12 PM
How many people here read this manga? I own all 7 volumes released here in English, and, according to Wikipedia, there's only 5 more to go.

Oh, yeah, when discussing the plot, especially after volume 1, use the spoiler tags.

Now, I can't believe that L died. He was as much the main character as Light is. And the way Light's expression constantly changes to the "evil" face makes me question who the real "good guy" of this manga really is. And it's too bad that he really doesn't care about Misa either, as she made the Shinigami eye trade twice, and I doubt that she'll make it to the end of the series, especially after that 4 year time jump they pulled.

BattleFranky~40
4th September 2006, 7:50 PM
Don't bother reading the rest.

Usagi
4th September 2006, 8:38 PM
I've only read the part that was in a Shonen Jump,but it does look interesting.

Everytime I want to get a volume,I always end up getting something else though. ^^;

littlestchristian13
4th September 2006, 8:50 PM
never heard of it...

kogawolfman
5th September 2006, 2:05 AM
I have 1-7 but only bought 7 two days ago and havent read it yet. Probably will tonight or tomorrow. It's definitely one of my favorites.

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 2:16 AM
never heard of it...

I suggest not reading, considering how ignorant you were of things in the past, and how this isn't exactly "Christian" material.

kogawolfman
5th September 2006, 2:21 AM
I suggest not reading, considering how ignorant you were of things in the past, and how this isn't exactly "Christian" material.

True, if you're a little soft-hearted or have strict religious views it probably isnt for you. It's essentially about a high school/college student that gets a notebook that when writing someone's name in it, they will die. There's other rules/restrictions but that's essentially the idea. The main character kills criminals in the world but gets a little bit out of hand.

Spectre
5th September 2006, 4:32 AM
i agree though. don't read past the part L dies. the rest is crap, all seeming forced and not thought out. However, i loved the cat-mouse game that L and Light had between each other. it was all geniusly planned and everything.

Akaba
5th September 2006, 5:26 AM
Near is awesome.

Read the rest.

The end is pretty wide open and basically,

The characters are actually torn to see if Ratio was wrong or right in his journey.

Really,

They actually have more crime and ect, ect when he dies, so it isn't a 'Ratio die, all good!' thing. The world is just like it was before, with more crime and now a Ratio cult with a mysterious chick...on...the last page.

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 5:29 AM
Near, IMO, is a cheap L clone who wants to sex up Mello.

Akaba
5th September 2006, 5:53 AM
Well, Near plays with toys and wears the greatest mask ever created.

Mello was cheap bUUTTSsexxors for Chocolate.

bigboss1022
9th September 2006, 4:06 AM
i cant believe L dies. i was mad he did but im gonna read the best and i no its good. Lights face when L dies and Light is on the ground over L... so freakin cool best moment. Mello's cool and Near is alright. Can someone give me a spoiler free summary of what happens through the rest? the last volume has gotta be good.

Galatica Phantom
9th September 2006, 5:23 AM
Spoiler much BigBoss? Damn, I hope fans don't see that.

Catalyst
10th September 2006, 2:18 AM
The series went downhill when it suddenly became mainstream, full of n00bs and fangirls, ugh.

Roxius
11th September 2006, 12:14 AM
I liked Death Note so much, I read every chapter on BCAM (A MSN group)! I'm also collecting the English graphic novels, too!

Oh yeah, did you know that Death Note is going to be made into anime too?!

BattleFranky~40
11th September 2006, 12:54 AM
I liked Death Note so much, I read every chapter on BCAM (A MSN group)! I'm also collecting the English graphic novels, too!

Oh yeah, did you know that Death Note is going to be made into anime too?!

OKMGRLY~!?!?
That definatly wasn't known months ago!?!?!

Fullmetal_Alchemist
11th September 2006, 8:41 AM
I love Death Note, though I've only got up to volume 5 (so yeah big thanks for the spoilers you guys)

Especially considering how L is my favourite character in it :(

Burning Effigy
13th September 2006, 5:14 AM
I have 1-6 and I like where it is going but I didnt like volume 5.

shinigami13
13th September 2006, 6:12 AM
I've read the whole story it's definetly the best manga I've read it proves manga don't have to have all those fights to be good

zonic the hedgehog
13th September 2006, 8:54 PM
I have 1-6 and I like where it is going but I didnt like volume 5.

That volume probably had some of the most text I've read in any manga. @_@ (Well, actually, I have read a few other manga that are rather text-filled, but they're mature manga, so it makes sense)

You get used to the amount of text, though. It also adds some depth to the story.

I can only hope the anime will have more of a focus on other characters, though, since they were shunned a bit at the beginning of the manga.

uncutpokemon
14th September 2006, 10:29 AM
even though "L" died the plot has just gotten more interesting, so i wouldn't stop buying the books if i were you!

jakepwnsjoo
14th September 2006, 10:24 PM
I already know the ending, mwahahahaha.

HK
14th September 2006, 11:09 PM
DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL SPOILER TAGS ARE, OR DO YOU JUST WANT TO SPOIL IT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE MANGA YET?!

Don't bother reading the rest.

What this d00d said.

Near is awesome.

Read the rest.

The end is pretty wide open and basically,

The characters are actually torn to see if Ratio was wrong or right in his journey.

Really,

They actually have more crime and ect, ect when he dies, so it isn't a 'Ratio die, all good!' thing. The world is just like it was before, with more crime and now a Ratio cult with a mysterious chick...on...the last page.

Mello was a fairly interesting character, Near was not.

As for the ending... oh lawd, was it awful.

Everything resorting back to how it was, with a tyrannical ruler that no ones knows about hindering any violent and/or heinous act that they commit, constantly watching them for years, only to say "Hey, nothin's happened for a while, LET'S PARTY HARD." Oh, and let's not forget that Light and Near had such idiotic plans that any dimwit with half a brain could've outsmarted them.

The series went downhill when it suddenly became mainstream, full of n00bs and fangirls, ugh.

It was mainstream to begin with, not to mention that there were (and still are) plenty of fangirls wanting precious Light/L yaoi.

I've read the whole story it's definetly the best manga I've read it

Uh, Death Note, the best manga? How about hell no?

The first few volumes (well, part one in general, I suppose) certainly ranks among the better shounen manga seen nowadays, but compared to countless other manga out there it is rather weak and eventually collapses in on itself.

proves manga don't have to have all those fights to be good

O RLY?

The majority of the better manga (that I personally have and have not read) are not solely reliant on those mundane and repetetive fights you get with generic shounen series, as, surprise, surprise, they really on things called "characteriation," "story," "themes," "develoment," etc. Amazing, no?

Sheesh, people get introduced to something that even deviates from the norm from a little bit, and suddenly they get the impression that it's "t3h b3st3st thing EVAR!!!11" -- I've encountered that all too often.

jakepwnsjoo
15th September 2006, 12:11 AM
Uh, Death Note, the best manga? How about hell no?

The first few volumes (well, part one in general, I suppose) certainly ranks among the better shounen manga seen nowadays, but compared to countless other manga out there it is rather weak and eventually collapses in on itself.

It's the best strategy/detective manga I've ever read. It's a great story. If you didn't like the ending, it's because you didn't get the symbolism of it. Oh, and I'm not gonna post it in a spoiler, because then it would STILL ruin it for people.

HK
15th September 2006, 12:40 AM
*WARNING: There can and will be moments when I come off as an elitist prick of sorts. Pay no mind to the arrogance and just accept it.*

It's the best strategy/detective manga I've ever read. It's a great story.

It's YOUR most favorite detective manga, and I have my doubts that you have come across that many. Have you ever encountered something like Monster? Sexy Voice and Robo? Jiraishin (known as Ice Blade in Tokyopop's mangled and dropped adaption)? No? Then don't make opiniated statements like that come across as facts.

If you didn't like the ending, it's because you didn't get the symbolism of it.

"I didn't get the symbolism, so I didn't like the ending"? Bullsh*t. Your supposed symbolism cannot make up for awful characterization, unrealistic progression for humanity, and ultimately rushed cop-out of an finale that was the final chapters of Death Note.

Burning Effigy
15th September 2006, 1:49 AM
The first couple are interesting but it slacks off after that but I still like Death Note.

jakepwnsjoo
16th September 2006, 2:35 AM
It's YOUR most favorite detective manga, and I have my doubts that you have come across that many. Have you ever encountered something like Monster? Sexy Voice and Robo? Jiraishin (known as Ice Blade in Tokyopop's mangled and dropped adaption)? No? Then don't make opiniated statements like that come across as facts.

How can you answer for me? O_o Wow, someone who can read minds, I'm impressed. First of all, I have read Sexy Voice and Robo and Monster both (never heard of jiraishin though) and I didn't really care for SVAR. Monster's pretty good, but Deathnote is better. So why don't you shut up about things you don't understand, before posting what you think you know, idiot.

"I didn't get the symbolism, so I didn't like the ending"? Bullsh*t. Your supposed symbolism cannot make up for awful characterization, unrealistic progression for humanity, and ultimately rushed cop-out of an finale that was the final chapters of Death Note.

Awful characterization? Near is an awesome character, and Raito is arguably one of the most complex characters I've ever read about in a manga. As for the progression of humanity, all humans are wicked creatures, read Hobbes' Leviathan. I never really liked Mello, though. The ending was rushed, but did you read the last chapter, and see what Misa was doing? Hm?

HK
16th September 2006, 3:14 AM
First of all, I have read Sexy Voice and Robo and Monster both (never heard of jiraishin though) and I didn't really care for SVAR.

Why? Because it's so short? That's really the only critical flaw in Sexy Voice and Robo, and if you didn't like it, fine, but to undermine the characterization and themes that was presented is inane.

Monster's pretty good, but Deathnote is better.

"You're arguement and reasoning is sound so that I cannot even begin to approach it!"

Death Note is more sophisticated than the typical shounen manga. It's better than typical shounen manga by far (well, the first half, at the very least). However, the issues that Monster deals with are dwelt upon much less in-your-face and more subtlely powerful than Death Note ever accomplished. The characters in Monster hold realism about them that Death Note only gives brief glimpses of. The plot of Monster is by far more intricate, deep, and involving than any point that Death Note had. Monster has a set pacing and does not deviate from that speed while Death Note switches back and forth between quick time to some of the most monotonous and pointless dialogue that I've seen in the manga (the majority of this is encountered in the second half). Finally, Monster does not pull a cop-out ending and leaves you thinking up until the last page while Death Note gives little thought and doesn't try to close the curtain properly at all.

So why don't you shut up about things you don't understand, before posting what you think you know, idiot.

So I have to put it in obvious wording such as "If you have not, then don't make such opiniated statements sound as facts"? Ridiculous. Posing a question is just that, A QUESTION.

Oh, and you're calling me an idiot? That's the epitome of intelligence right there, buddy.

Awful characterization?

Yes, and you'd have to be blind not to see it.

Near is an awesome character,

Once again, I'm overwhelmed by your ability to present such reasoning and sound arguements.

and Raito is arguably one of the most complex characters I've ever read about in a manga.

... If an intelligent male being corrupted by power in a mainstream shounen manga were one of the most complex characters in manga, then I would've chucked the medium and moved on a while ago.

As for the progression of humanity, all humans are wicked creatures, read Hobbes' Leviathan.

"All humans are wicked?" ... Wow, just wow...

I'm talking about how suddenly everything went right by the end of the manga and there was NO EFFECT of what Kira had done to the world for such a long time.

I never really liked Mello, though.

He (and Ryuk in chapter one hundred seven) were one of the few reasons to just read Part 2.

The ending was rushed, but did you read the last chapter, and see what Misa was doing? Hm?

Uh, yeah, I read the last chapter, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining about how bad the ending was. As for what you're referring to...

Aside from the fact that it was never rightfully stated that it was Misa (though common sense tells me it was), what we get is that Kira "still lives on" and people follow his ideals/were grateful for what he did.

THAT'S SO BRILLIANT AND/OR EXECUTED UNCONVENTIONALLY.

Is it so hard to admit that while the first half of the manga was good, the latter half was abysmal?

jakepwnsjoo
16th September 2006, 6:29 PM
I would argue, but seeing as I can't post spoilers for something... yeah.

It's not like I'm saying the second half was better, though.

HK
17th September 2006, 9:10 PM
I would argue, but seeing as I can't post spoilers for something... yeah.

They're called spoiler tags. Use them.

It's not like I'm saying the second half was better, though.

You're implying that the ending was well done with brilliant characterization, and that the story is one of the best ones out there. Sure, it's all subject, but how about being more reasonable here.

Solar Crimson
17th September 2006, 11:33 PM
DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL SPOILER TAGS ARE, OR DO YOU JUST WANT TO SPOIL IT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE MANGA YET?!

Thank you. I don't see why they didn't do that even after I said to do so in the initial post. Although, it's probably my fault for not saying anything sooner.

Anyway, some people were dissatified with the ending, so they decided to make their own ending.

Possible spoilers, so click the links at your own risk.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3605/dnending016oo.png
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/497/dnending028ao.png
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6079/dnending032yc.png
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9761/dnending044oy.png
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/846/dnending051xr.png
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7686/dnending068xa.png
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9072/dnending077ku.png