PDA

View Full Version : Once More With Reeling! (467)

Serebii
8th September 2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/467.jpgAsh VS May! The Last Battle!

On their way back home, Ash and May decide to enter into a contest. Appealing with Pikachu & Eevee, Ash & May both get past the appeal stage and end up having to battle eachother. Ash using Sceptile and May using Combusken, the battle is fierce. However despite the type advantage, Ash gains an upper hand. But will May's Combusken have a trump card up its sleeve?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/467.shtml)

Discuss

dark trainer
8th September 2006, 12:54 PM
when are the pics comin

Prime Wolf
8th September 2006, 1:02 PM
Has anyone seen this yet, i saw that Mays combusken evolves.......Did her Blaziken beat ashs sceptile? And who won im interested.

youssef20138
8th September 2006, 1:05 PM
why does it take so long to get the episode pictures done

Saga_Darklight
8th September 2006, 2:28 PM
Clam down my friend, in a few hours the mistery is going to be resolved...

Lupin
8th September 2006, 2:31 PM
Just one question.

What made Ash decide to enter this contest?

Rizardon
8th September 2006, 2:38 PM
Wasnt it to kill time while waiting for the boat or
something?

KuwabaraTheMan
8th September 2006, 5:21 PM
Just finished watching it. It was really good.

At the start they say Haruka and Masato are going back to Houen, Takeshi is going to Nibi Gym, and Satoshi is going to Masara Town. So that will happen next week, and then they reunite.

Eievui's Appeal involved Digging many holes and then shooting Shadow Balls out to create fire works. Pikachu used Quick Attack and 100,000 Volts to create an electric ring, then smacked it around with Iron Tail. Most of the other appeals sucked, only Satoshi and Haruka advanced. Lillian wasn't here, just a random Joi-san.

Rocket Gang captured Random Pokemon and Pikachu, Wakashamo and Jukain freed them, Wakashamo evolves and sends them flying with Blaze Kick.

In the fight, Satoshi loses points for ungraceful fighting(tying back to what Enishida and Takeshi were talking about, and indicating that plot is resolved).

And the end of the episode Overheat and Solarbeam clash, smoke covers up the screen as everyone wonders who won.

Very good episode. During Haruka's appeal "Watashi Makenai" played, during Satoshi's "Spurt" played. I thought it was a nice touch. The fight was really good, imho.

John's Knight
8th September 2006, 5:24 PM
So, the winner isn't revealed? Pity...

Must see this ep.

Saga_Darklight
8th September 2006, 5:49 PM
;026; So... that means everyone is going to Shinou, but the preview for D/P said that Hikari only meet with three people. Maybe Masato starts his own Pokemon Journey? And Gary, was he boring in the LAB and now wants to retake old steps...

John's Knight
8th September 2006, 7:37 PM
Just saw the pics.

No winner announced, big clash between Blaziken and Sceptile...TR stealing pokemons... meh, JK doesn't like this ep much =/

The Benmeister
8th September 2006, 7:38 PM
What's with the Magikarp love in this episode? Viewing the pictures, it seemed TR had a Magikarp cannon, and there was a guy appealing with a Magikarp, for god's sake!

Hope it looks as funny as it first appeared when I'm watching the episode.

dannyphantomhott
8th September 2006, 7:42 PM
;026; So... that means everyone is going to Shinou, but the preview for D/P said that Hikari only meet with three people. Maybe Masato starts his own Pokemon Journey? And Gary, was he boring in the LAB and now wants to retake old steps...

Na its just speculation is all we don't know who's going besides Ash and Hikari every one else is still up in the air so far. Ask for the episode itself saw the images, pretty cool, I love seeing Ash do different things in other episodes.

Shiny Ho-Oh
8th September 2006, 7:46 PM
I wonder who will win, Ash or May? Sceptile or Blaziken?
I can't wait when the full guide comes out and the pics.

GreenKirby
8th September 2006, 7:56 PM
Wow.... May has one weak Blaziken. I mean, Blaze Kick getting deflected by Slam. I also like the fact that Sceptile got more hits in than Blaziken (Unlike Charizard vs Blaziken where Blaziken got more hits than Charizard).

Saga_Darklight
8th September 2006, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the correction...

;097; Yes, finally a good battle between 3 stage (if you know what I'm talking about) after to many episodes... I doesn't matter who wins this time, I want to see a good battle... Like Charizard vrs. Blaziken over Hoenn

Aero
8th September 2006, 8:04 PM
May best not win this match. Not after Ash beat Brandon.

teko_men
8th September 2006, 8:06 PM
ps...... n.n I don't know you but I love may
n.n

Jikkle
8th September 2006, 8:06 PM
Sceptile pretty much had control of the whole match and Blaziken only stayed in it because of the type difference. The points where equal at the end merely by the fact Ash was over aggressive at the begining and had quite a bit of wiffs on Sceptile's part which cost him style points. Other than that it the only attack Blaziken landed that I can think of was flame thrower all it's other attackes where avoided or deflected. Though Sceptile was in control he didn't land any huge hits or anything but I'm going to say Sceptile will probably come out on top since it was clearly the stronger of the two and since this ribbon means absoultely nothing it would be a perfect chance to give it to Ash.

Cyndaquil
8th September 2006, 8:11 PM
Am i the only one that thinks Sceptile vs Blaziken reminds me of Blastoise vs Charizard. the battles class, anytime they let the power players fight off really delivers. a solid episode here.

Bliksem
8th September 2006, 8:14 PM
I really need to see this episode in motion. The pictures look phenomenal. Ash's Sceptile finally started using that big bush of his. I've been waiting for that.

MidnightScott
8th September 2006, 8:34 PM
Hehe, I just started downloading it and I already have 50MB of it :D

40 Minutes left!

~Scott;229;

Torkoal Stu
8th September 2006, 8:50 PM
Was that Blaze and Overgrow I see o.O;

I still hate May with a Blaziken, just doesn't seem to fit yet :/

Gah and Combusken evolving against Sceptile would be soooo much cooler.

Bliksem
8th September 2006, 8:57 PM
I swear, the thing is SO TALL ><; It just doesn't fit with May at all. Ash, I can see with Pokemon larger than him, but not May. I don't particularly LIKE Blaziken, but it's alright.

~Ero Oyagi~
8th September 2006, 9:03 PM
I swear, the thing is SO TALL ><;

Blaziken is actually the same height as me :P
What is the ep actually called in Japanese? I cant find it in the guide on the main site. I was just curious :)

Origamigryphon
8th September 2006, 9:05 PM
Aw, come on, six foot three isn't THAT tall. Can you imagine her having a Wailord?

*sighs dreamily* I have been WAITING for the episode Combusken evolves in for sooo long, and here it is! But it sucks that she might leave the gang right away; I want to see more of Blaziken before she leaves ;_; That giant fire chicken is one of the few reasons I still watch the show, and I was hanging on the fact that I could see it at least once an episode.

I'll tell you, May hugging her Blaziken around the waist is so adorable because that's what I want to do. ;_;

Does anyone else think that the full body shot of Blaziken has slightly effeminate features?

My only consolation if May leaves is the hope that Hikari chooses Pocchama as her starter. <3

Lupin
8th September 2006, 9:15 PM
Well it is upsetting that we don't know who the victor is. I personally am going for Ash as May needs another loss in a contest. The writers don't give her enough losses. even with a new evolution.

So the only reason Ash entered this contest was to waste time?

~Ero Oyagi~
8th September 2006, 9:19 PM
I agree with what Origamigryphon said, and I think Blaziken is effeminate in those shots. Is it specified whether it is male or female? And if Blaziken is 6'3" then how tall is may? Like 4 feet? That's pretty short IMO. I can't wait to actually watch the episode, the pics on the main site are pretty small :(

dannyphantomhott
8th September 2006, 9:20 PM
Well it is upsetting that we don't know who the victor is. I personally am going for Ash as May needs another loss in a contest. The writers don't give her enough losses. even with a new evolution.

So the only reason Ash entered this contest was to waste time?

I heard it ends in a tie so no one's going to win. And I guess that's the reason for Ash to enter, still fun to watch any ways.

Sharpedo Boy
8th September 2006, 9:22 PM
Meowth(or little Moe)is still playing on his funday set for two yearolds like maggie simpson

Addydo
8th September 2006, 9:39 PM
I just saw the pics, I can't wait to see this episode, It looks awesome!
for some of you that asked if Blaziken was male of female, I think it's Female, cause Torchic sounded female, so did Combusken a little, so it's got to be female. :)

jolteonjak
8th September 2006, 9:43 PM
Ok, so we see the return of Overgrow and the debut of Blaze.

Blaziken learns Blaze Kick and what appears to be Fire Punch and either Mega Punch or Focus Punch.

I need to see this episode. It looks like it was a great battle.

To whomever...The reason the points are even (aside from plot) is because Sceptile is much more experienced than the newly evolved Blaziken despite type differences. I would almost be positive that if Ash hadn't lost points for battle style or whatever that he would win.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th September 2006, 9:48 PM
Compared to Harrisons, this Blaziken has a higher voice. Not very "feminime" though.

Why does everyone in this episode wanna "Bash a homo?"

CyberCubed
8th September 2006, 9:48 PM
May's Blaziken deserves to be put to the test with a better animation team. I want to see this thing in Shinou, dammit!

Kabuto
8th September 2006, 10:06 PM
Agreed, although I won't mind too much if may is kicked off, i want to see Blaziken in action. About to watch it now, looks good in the pics.

cassius335
8th September 2006, 10:16 PM
I'll tell you, May hugging her Blaziken around the waist is so adorable because that's what I want to do. ;_;

Hmm. Though maybe it's just the very noticable extra growth of feathers, but I couldn't help thinking that she gets dangerously close to Blazikens groin at that point.

S.Suikun
8th September 2006, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry, but this thing was lamer than May vs. Brock. Probably the worst contest since Saffron, actually. May's appeal was good, Ash's appeal was okay other than the fact that he clearly should have been hit by those electric rings, but quite frankly, this episode just didn't feel right. It's not as exciting without Vivian or Lilan's enthusiasm. It's not a true contest without Sukizo repeatedly saying "Suki desu ne!" And honestly, Combusken evolved in the absolute lamest method possible. I would have even rather seen Jessie enter again than witness another lame scheme that takes up valuable contest time, and for Combusken to evolve just for breaking a friggin' net. And for the love of God, who the hell appeals with a Magikarp?

The battle itself was merely okay. It felt quite strange that we hardly even saw May giving commands or responding to Blaziken getting hit, even though Ash was shown plenty. The animation left a lot to be desired. And my God, that has to be the absolute lamest cliffhanger in the history of the series.

Wow, I used the word "lame" a lot in that.

Gravy
8th September 2006, 10:44 PM
....and there goes my favourite pokémon animé character ever.
You know, it's actually quite a depressing feeling once that fact really hits home. Wakasyamo collapses to it's feet. 1,2, 3and poof! It's gone from the show forever. That scene choked me up, and I think I can finally understand how all those Misty, Tracey and Randomcharacter fans felt after their favourite fictional personalities packed their bags and set sail for either complete obscurity or a few recurring appearances.
And it ain't a nice feeling at all. God damn it, Wakasyamo may not have been a human character, and she couldn't speak coherent english, but she was still a character never the less. And she was my fave~
I guess I can't complain though. It's evolution may have been one of the weakest attempts these writers have ever put an iota of thought into, but Wakasyamo got some really good battling time during it's stay, and single handedly provided one of the best pokémon battles the series has ever had the fortune to churn out. Not too bad for an ugly, worthless, middle evolution pokémon, is it sports fans? ?

But, anyways. Episode at hand I suppose.
Eh, I didn't find it all that enjoyable actually. Though there were one or two decent highlights thrown in for good measure. Team Rocket in Japanese garb, waving rising sun flags with Mt. Fuji plastered all over 'em, was pretty cool for example. They don't do seemingly random things like that nearly enough these days~

-THAT PARAS WAS HUGE.

- Those two inept coordinators were awesome. The Magikarp dude in particular. You've gotta have guts to send out a Magikarp to do an app...ahh hell, anything.
And speaking of appeals. Man, I love how they usually make no logical sense. I mean, just look at what Eevee managed to accomplish. Making pretty fireworks from a bunch of Shadow Ball attacks that don't make any contact with each other. Why doesn't Haruka use crap like that in actual battles? Blind the opponent for life with colourful fireworks I say! Get sued for letting her pokémon play with explosives! Get sent to a federal jail for life!

-The battle had some pretty interesting things going on. I for one, loved all the over-the-top jumping around and bouncing of the roof of the stadium. I also like how this match, for the most part, relied more on the pokémon's physical abilities as opposed to their usual burp-a-beam moves. Sceptile using it's tail to swat Blaziken away, and Blaziken back flipping to avoid Bullet Seed onslaughts were some of the highlights~

-Ugghh...hearing 'Shamo, Shamo, Shamo Shamo!' coming out of that thing as it geared up for a special delivery of Sky Uppercut was pretty painful. It just isn't the same...gaah, please, just get me a Kleenex before I start weeping~

ghost master
8th September 2006, 11:07 PM
I thought it wasnt as exciting mainly because everyone knew two weeks in advance that Combusken would evolve. Anyway What annoyed me was that the plot was so lame. There shouldnt even be a pokemon contest so quickly after the end of the GF.

One highlight was that this pokemon episode actually felt like Kanto. This entiresaga we could've just been in Hoenn for all we knew. On this episode the second to last episode of the series they finally show off a lot of kanto pokemon that would've been nice to have some more spotlight through this entire saga like Charmeleon, Venomat, Oddish, Seel, Paras etc. Seriously I never felt kanto until this episode which is sad and annoys me.

Flamez
8th September 2006, 11:08 PM
~Jolteonjak~ blaziken didnt learn any of those attacks it was just sky uppercut.
Seen the episode.

I agree with S. Suikun, Combusken did evolve in the lamest way possible. Combusken used mega kick to free the pokemon and after Ash had pikachu thunderbolt TR may ordered an attack and combusken just fell on its knees and evolved. It wasnt even hurt or anything so why does it fall on its knee?

The appeals were funny, the girl had gloom use sleep powder and nurse joy and the other judge fell asleep. She gets eliminated and starts to cry.
A magikarp trying to do an appeal its trainer just looks at it and puts his head down. lol
May's appeal was rather boring, Just dig and then a few shadow balls which gave some firework type affect.
Ash's appeal was nice IMO better then May's, Pikachu using quick attack to leave a little trail of its attack and using thunderbolt at the same time to form the Electric Rings (kind of like krillin's destructo disk from dbz). Pikachu used Iron tail to knock it around the stage.

The battle was good. At first Sceptile trying to hit Blaziken and it dodged using matrix moves. Ash's points were deducted cuz he wasnt landing hits in. He realized it and I believe told sceptile to increase its speed or something. Sceptile used Pound ( I think) quite a few times in the match. Sceptile also dodged blaziken's move and May's points were also deducted.

Great to see Overgrow again, Sceptile looked mad cool using it. Blaze made its debut and it was good to see Blaziken using it. Sceptile is bad a** pokemon it had a disadvantage against blaziken but still matched it evenly (some might say better) and also made it use its Blaze ability.
The match ended with Blaziken's overheat and Sceptile's solarbeam colliding and whole bunch of smoke covering the stage. We all know that the match will end in a tie though.
Guess my prediction was right about it being a showdown of overheat and solarbeam.
Overall it was good episode. Blaziken in May's team is okay I guess, I liked Combusken better though. Blaziken is damn ugly, lol. It's animation was very wierd, blaze kick just didnt look right.

Kabuto
8th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Combusken was in pain for missing TR and hitting the boat. I thought its evolution was pretty good actually. Blaziken vs. Sceptile is the best contest battle ever, whats all this complaining coming from -__-.

CyberCubed
8th September 2006, 11:41 PM
I thought the episode was great, but of course...the animation.

I severely hope this wasn't May's final battle in the series, because she deserves to go out with a win.

After losing miserably to Saori, losing miserably to Drew, and presumedly tying with Ash, it is a pretty lame way to end a leading protagonist.

It makes her look like a rookie instead of an experienced coordinator.

I'm sure Blaziken will look great if it gets done by one of the better animation teams, and I'm anxious to see her use it in future Contests, if the writers make it happen.

Flamez
9th September 2006, 12:00 AM
Blaziken vs. Sceptile is the best contest battle ever, whats all this complaining coming from -__-.
I strongly disagree with that, I would say Munchlax vs Octillery was the best contest battle ever. The animation, music, battle and Harley getting his first and probably only win on may was the best.

In this episode, Blaziken evolving still seems very cheap to me. Its like May needed an evolution to put up a fight against Ash's sceptile and she got it. If blaziken is having such a hard time beating scepitle then I doubt combusken could've done anything. No offense to combusken I love the chicken. :D

spacefissure
9th September 2006, 12:02 AM
Ah, there's nothing like the dreaded cliffhanger to make a person feel dissapointed. I hope Sceptile beats Blaziken. We've never seen a Blaziken lose before in the history of this show.

Ninetalesuk
9th September 2006, 12:06 AM
Judging from the screenshots, Eevee went cute again and dug holes... heheh. How sweet...

Let's hope we see May again in the future with her Blaziken and maybe an evolved Eevee or not.

Ash6K
9th September 2006, 12:08 AM
I really love this contest! The Blaziken and Sceptile match is awesome! Mega Punch vs. Leaf Blade, Blaze Kick vs. Slam, Overheat vs. Solarbeam! I love it...especially since we see Blaze and Overgrow...one of my favorite contest matchs ever!!

Saga_Darklight
9th September 2006, 12:19 AM
The writers are really lame if they let May go after Blaziken evolve. We wait to long to see that... and then...

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 12:35 AM
BASH A HOMO!

Actually, May getting Blaziken sounds like a good way to end her stay (yes, I miss Combushken some too. But she lives on in Blaziken and her bizarre feathery crotch)

Dragonking
9th September 2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah good end for May. Torchic evolved throughout the Hoenn/Battle Frontier Saga and finished before her leave. Who won? next episode.

Flamez
9th September 2006, 12:46 AM
I really love this contest! The Blaziken and Sceptile match is awesome! Mega Punch vs. Leaf Blade, Blaze Kick vs. Slam, Overheat vs. Solarbeam! I love it...especially since we see Blaze and Overgrow...one of my favorite contest matchs ever!!
Blaziken doesnt know mega punch and Sceptile doesnt know slam. The attacks were sky uppercut and Pound.

The match will end in a draw it's been confirmed for the past couple of day's now.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 12:49 AM
Sceptile does know Slam now, irc.

Ash6K
9th September 2006, 1:06 AM
Blaziken doesnt know mega punch and Sceptile doesnt know slam. The attacks were sky uppercut and Pound.

The match will end in a draw it's been confirmed for the past couple of day's now.

The attack was Sky Uppercut...oops. Anyway, whatever the attacks were, they were dead even with eachother, I know that it's a tie but still I liked the battle :).

The Big Al
9th September 2006, 1:31 AM
CLIFFHANGER LOL! Though we'll know which starter proves to be the stronger. I hope it's Sceptile. Considering Ash was screwed over by a Blaziken and defeating him it would be the best way for AG to end if he defeated one.

And more blatant Japanese culture references. You know the animators know 4Kids has left the building. (Let's hope PUSA is kinder.)

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 1:31 AM
It's a tie TBA.

Knight_Ram
9th September 2006, 2:26 AM
Come on people, give a little bit of faith with May! Im not a big fan of hers but im sure she will win it! Because usually the newly evolved pokemon win the matches!

Flamez
9th September 2006, 2:30 AM
Knight Ram we're not speculating or anything, IT IS CONFIRMED THAT THE MATCH WILL BE A DRAW. The manga adaptation of the episode reveals that the match will be a draw.

jolteonjak
9th September 2006, 2:48 AM
~Jolteonjak~ blaziken didnt learn any of those attacks it was just sky uppercut.

Thanks a lot. I completely forgot about that attack. Yes, and Sceptile was major bad arse using Overgrow.

Saga_Darklight
9th September 2006, 2:54 AM
A Draw! What an awful way fo finish it! Well, in the past, Ash has lossed a couple of matches that were promising....

Who cares anyway... a good battle, an evolution, the end of a Journey, and... who knows... the beginning of another?

BTW, only 40 episodes more and Pokemon will be the longest anime series in all history... (Dragon Ball Sage has the record with 506; Dragon ball (153), Dragon ball Z (291) and Dragon ball GT (64))

Geodude
9th September 2006, 3:41 AM
No, Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile has never used Slam. Its moves are:

Pound
Quick Attack
Bullet Seed
Leaf Blade
Solarbeam

If you've seen the episode, how can you possibly mistake Sky Uppercut for anything else, considering that the Japanese name for it, called out clearly whenever the attack is used, is "Sky Upper"?

Akaba
9th September 2006, 3:48 AM
Great episode.

The appeals were nice, the Rocket scheme wasn't that bad and the Sceptile/Blaziken battle was pretty neat-o. Blaziken is a mighty weak, though - it should really be beating Sceptile...and it got less hits on Sceptile.

Ah, still - it will be a tie - everyone will be happy.

Kinda sad.

The one pokemon that Haruka has that SHOULD be super over-powered...isn't.

Almighty Zard
9th September 2006, 4:21 AM
But wasn't this tie that people were talking about supossed to be in this episode...something is up.

And either Blaziken is weak or Sceptile's tail is really tough cause it is sad that Blaze Kick did next to nothing on it.

gamefreak5034
9th September 2006, 5:05 AM
I just saw the ep, the usual dumb team rocket stealing pokemon from trainers but were there really only 5 competitors in this contest cause obviously there was only one battle for the winner.I gotta say i still dont completely understand contests does the bar go by health or by style points, there were many times in this ep(and many others) where a pokemon lost health and didnt get hit, and o ya and the anime doesnt neccesarily always follow the manga adaption

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 5:06 AM
All the past times they have.

Almighty Zard
9th September 2006, 5:09 AM
All the past times they have.

but according to the manga version the "Tie" was supossed to happen this episode, Combusken evolved during the fight with Sceptile, and Pikachu and Blaziken sent TR flying of something to that extent...something is up we might actually have a winner after all.

Geodude
9th September 2006, 5:17 AM
At first I disliked May's lack of commands in the first few minutes of the battle. But now that I think about it, Blaziken had just evolved. May had not yet had a chance to see what it could do in battle, to gauge its strength and power, get used to its reaction times, and so on. She kind of had to do that on the fly in this battle. She was used to dealing with Combusken, but the more powerful Blaziken was another matter entirely. So she spent the first few minutes getting a feel for what Blaziken could do, while it naturally dodged attacks, lowering Sceptile's points in the process. That's a sign of a good coordinator right there.

dannyphantomhott
9th September 2006, 5:28 AM
I think it will still end in a tie, I bet that explosion is Team Rocket again. Than Ash will lead Team Rocket away from the contest area and fall down a rocky area and run into Gary who is on a cliff than Gary helps Ash defeat Team Rocket. Ash challanges Gary to a battle but his Pokemon might be too tired and weak. Than they go back to the contest and Ash finds out the battle ended in a tie and he gets some thing along with May. And tells every one what his plans are and is with Gary or Gary went some where else to pack. May tells Ash the contest gave her inspiration to go to the Jhoto contests and defeat her rivals. Max cries about leaving and May tells them they will meet up agian some day and Max stops crying. They all split up, Ash stops by his house and says good bye agian. Gary is there and goes with him, it ends there. That's how I see it happening next week, huzzah I'm bored.

Manene!
9th September 2006, 5:34 AM
I think that may have been the end of the contest. I'd be surprised if they actually finish the battle in the next episode.

CyberCubed
9th September 2006, 5:40 AM
^ That is true. The smoke may clear with them both on the ground.

After all, there's a lot to fit into the next episode.

gamefreak5034
9th September 2006, 6:01 AM
but according to the manga version the "Tie" was supossed to happen this episode, Combusken evolved during the fight with Sceptile, and Pikachu and Blaziken sent TR flying of something to that extent...something is up we might actually have a winner after all.

Exactly, thats why its wrong to always base the anime off the manga

Jikkle
9th September 2006, 8:26 AM
I think that may have been the end of the contest. I'd be surprised if they actually finish the battle in the next episode.

I agree. The outcome will be decided when the smoke clears weather it's a tie or somebody wins. They could give May a win and make it not look out of place since she was given a big type advantage and a big advantage in it being a contest battle.

Flamez
9th September 2006, 8:34 AM
No, Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile has never used Slam. Its moves are:

Pound
Quick Attack
Bullet Seed
Leaf Blade
Solarbeam

If you've seen the episode, how can you possibly mistake Sky Uppercut for anything else, considering that the Japanese name for it, called out clearly whenever the attack is used, is "Sky Upper"?
The people confusing the attack were probably judging by the pics. In the pics sky uppercut, mega punch, and focus punch pretty much look the same.

Esperon
9th September 2006, 10:03 AM
I hope that Ash wins. Sceptile is MUCH cooler than Blaziken...fraid i have never been a Torchic/Combuskin/Blaziken fan, just always looked like an overgrown chicken!

I like the fact that Ash lost points at the beginning for ungraceful battling. It's to be expected as this is his first contest. He's used to just hitting and knocking out as fast as possible. It also shows how quick he is to adapt his and his pokemon's battle strategy and style. Illustrates that he's grown up a LOT when you compare it to his battle style and strategies when he was younger.

I recon it would be nice for Ash to have this win because it won't mean anything really, just that he can excel at all ways of pokemon battling!

Rudoku
9th September 2006, 12:31 PM
BTW, only 40 episodes more and Pokemon will be the longest anime series in all history... (Dragon Ball Sage has the record with 506; Dragon ball (153), Dragon ball Z (291) and Dragon ball GT (64))

You know that's a lie. Detective Conan beats Dragon Ball, Doraemon beats Dragon Ball badly, and there's a series that has over 1000 episodes (I forgot the title).

cassius335
9th September 2006, 1:08 PM
You know that's a lie. Detective Conan beats Dragon Ball, Doraemon beats Dragon Ball badly, and there's a series that has over 1000 episodes (I forgot the title).

As for as I can find, Detective Conan only ever had 452 eps. Doraemon, on the other hand, has over 2000 eps and counting, therefore pretty conclusively kicking Dragonballl Saga's head in (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1317)

EDIT: Koga Rank!

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 1:26 PM
Exactly, thats why its wrong to always base the anime off the manga

It's not the manga as in Special.

It's the manga based off the Anime episode. The past ones were all correct, so I see this one being too.

FireHead Hank
9th September 2006, 2:11 PM
This episode made Blaziken go up in my favorites list. It looks awesome.

But I dont like the fact they have overpowered Sceptile. Blaziken should be able to kick it's green a** in no time.

NateDawg161992
9th September 2006, 3:30 PM
SO I just watched it and I think that blaziken looks to red also Sceptile was murdering blaziken and now they have the same Points. And does anyone know where I can watch it with english subs?

Geodude
9th September 2006, 3:40 PM
It only just came out, how can you expect it to be subbed already?

NateDawg161992
9th September 2006, 4:03 PM
I didn't mean now I meant in general where can I find the newer japanese episodes subbed, since I don't want to wait for a year until the episodes come out in english (with crap voices)

Red
9th September 2006, 4:53 PM
Just watched it, that was a great episode, can't wait to see who wins!

gamefreak5034
9th September 2006, 5:00 PM
It's not the manga as in Special.

It's the manga based off the Anime episode. The past ones were all correct, so I see this one being too.

Im a long time anime watcher, and know little about the manga honestly, but does this mean that all anime episodes are always 100% like the manga, they have changed things like combusken evolving before the fight with scep

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 5:01 PM
It's not a continuative series of manga, it is manga adaptions based directly off the Anime.

CyberCubed
9th September 2006, 5:04 PM
I think this proves that even though May has a Blaziken, she's still not terribly overpowered with it.

This ain't Harrison's Blaziken, for sure.

I can see May entering Blaziken into Contests and still losing, against evolved forms anyway.

Gravy
9th September 2006, 5:26 PM
Combusken was in pain for missing TR and hitting the boat. I thought its evolution was pretty good actually.
Combusken didn't hit the boat at all. While it's true that Team Rocket ducked out of the way and avoided the kick, Combusken was in complete control of the move and managed to rip through the rope holding the net. It didn't crash to the ground or collide with anything in it's path, it was a clean cut attack with perfect execution :/

Blaziken vs. Sceptile is the best contest battle ever, whats all this complaining coming from -__-.
Oh come on Kabuto, you can't be serious. It wasn't a bad battle by any means, but it certainly doesn't rank as the best of the best. What about vs. Grace, Harley's Octillery or Shuu's Absol? I don't think I could say this episode's fight even came close to matching those three without feeling awkward about it.

Eh, I've got a question I'd like to ask actually; Who the snap voiced Haruka's Bursyamo? There's no way in hell Chinami Nishimura provided that one, surely? Needless to say, I'd be pretty surprised if she did.

Also, I thought it was pretty cool that we finally got presented with a face to match up with the battle commentator we've been hearing for all these years.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 5:28 PM
Oh...so that's who the guy was!

Zoramon089
9th September 2006, 5:37 PM
This episode made Blaziken go up in my favorites list. It looks awesome.

But I dont like the fact they have overpowered Sceptile. Blaziken should be able to kick it's green a** in no time.

Why? Because pokemon can INSTANTLY adapt to their new stages? Ash has had Sceptile for a number of eps, Blaziken is just now evolving. There's no way it should be crushing Sceptile who is faster and more experienced. Not to mention May doesn't know how Blaziken moves and attacks as much as Ash with Sceptile. The battle so far makes perfect sense. I know going by levels is no good but if it was ingame Blaziken would only be at 36 while Sceptile at around, I dunno 45-50 I'd say considering who he's battled since evolving

Almighty Zard
9th September 2006, 6:21 PM
Why? Because pokemon can INSTANTLY adapt to their new stages? Ash has had Sceptile for a number of eps, Blaziken is just now evolving. There's no way it should be crushing Sceptile who is faster and more experienced. Not to mention May doesn't know how Blaziken moves and attacks as much as Ash with Sceptile. The battle so far makes perfect sense. I know going by levels is no good but if it was ingame Blaziken would only be at 36 while Sceptile at around, I dunno 45-50 I'd say considering who he's battled since evolving

I agree as much as i like fire pokemon, i do kinda hate Blaziken as being one of the few pokemon that has yet to taste defeat in the show, it's right up thier with Glalie and i know there are others, and no i don't consider ties to be losses.

Perapmanta_017
9th September 2006, 8:14 PM
That battle between Blaziken and Sceptile was awsome and so were Blaziken's Dynamic Punch,Overheat, and Blaze Kick. I think this battle wil either end in a tie or May will win( since she lost to Drew in her last contest).

BattleFranky~40
9th September 2006, 8:43 PM
I just watched it.

Damn cliffhangers.

CyberCubed
9th September 2006, 8:50 PM
So now that Blaziken has Blaze kick does it mean it won't use Mega Kick anymore?

I still find it lame to waste Blaziken on May if we're only going to see it in one Contest. Combusken should have gone up against Pikachu instead, and have them battle with their starters.

Flamez
9th September 2006, 8:51 PM
That battle between Blaziken and Sceptile was awsome and so were Blaziken's Dynamic Punch,Overheat, and Blaze Kick. I think this battle wil either end in a tie or May will win( since she lost to Drew in her last contest).
Do you people even pay attention to some of the other posts?
This is like my third time saying this, Blaziken used SKY UPPERCUT. It doesnt know dynamic punch, focus punch, or mega punch.
If you guys have seen the episode how could you mistake sky uppercut for something else, the attack in japanese is the pretty much the same damn thing may says "sky upper".

Zoramon089
9th September 2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious what it is when May says "SKY UPPA!" or something sounding like that

Knight_Ram
10th September 2006, 12:55 AM
IMO, May will win or its a tie but if May wins its only because she just got a newly evolved pokemon. Because usually the newly evolved pokemon win! But thats IMO.

Rufinito18
10th September 2006, 1:50 AM
Huh @ ^

Anyways. I didn't like the choice of Combusken's evo. It just fell and evolved. Is it me, or Haruka barely ordered anything at the beggining of the battle?

Cedric's_Memory
10th September 2006, 2:04 AM
Great episode but I hate cliffhangers. Grr... It's like they probably tied but you never know. If someone won though it was probably Blaziken. I don't think it should've ended with Overheat and Solar Beam. It could've been Blast Burn and Frenzy Plant. grr...

Blazken
10th September 2006, 2:17 AM
one of the best ep becase of blazken and he betty not loss in the next ep.

with blazken gowing at the end and the same with scepitile was that a attcak or that x1.5 thing i can't tell from the pic.

Yamato-san
10th September 2006, 3:31 AM
hey, is it just me, or did Pauwau's appeal involve it creating an ice sculpture of Dialga? DP foreshadowing may come off as no surprise this close to release.

Eh, I've got a question I'd like to ask actually; Who the snap voiced Haruka's Bursyamo? There's no way in hell Chinami Nishimura provided that one, surely? Needless to say, I'd be pretty surprised if she did.

Katsuyuki Konishi, who also does the voice of Satoshi's Heigani, Kojirou's Sabonea, and several others.

It only just came out, how can you expect it to be subbed already?

to add to that, Pocket Monsters fansubbing is really, really behind. With 400+ episodes (and growing), several specials, movies, etc., only select projects out of all those have been translated by various groups so far. And I speak from personal experience, even when an episode is translated, it takes a good while for the encoding and stuff, as well as the actual release, to get done with. At least, that's the case with #Pocketmonsters (which is probably the most well-known Pokemon subbing group out there).

There's also a huge problem in that there're few people within the fan community that actually knows Japanese (at least more Japanese than the average otaku knows, so anyone that knows what "baka" and "kawaii" means doesn't count). Hell, how many people on these forums know Japanese so far as you're aware? Within #PM, I'm the only translator out of about 3 or 4 other people (so far as I'm aware).

So, don't expect a sub anytime soon. Your best bet is to wait for the dub to be released (that may be another problem with Pokemon subbing. The localization is, for the most part, decent, so there isn't a huge demand to see the original version. Should the script have been utterly mutilated like several of 4kids's other dubs, there's likely to be more subbers working on this series).

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th September 2006, 3:33 AM
That was Diaruga? Pic please, I knew it looked familliar!

Geodude
10th September 2006, 4:47 AM
READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING, PEOPLE! Not only is it plain freakin' common sense, it saves you the effort of asking a question that's probably already been answered, and prevents other people getting annoyed at you.

Is it me, or Haruka barely ordered anything at the beggining of the battle?
Already talked about.

At first I disliked May's lack of commands in the first few minutes of the battle. But now that I think about it, Blaziken had just evolved. May had not yet had a chance to see what it could do in battle, to gauge its strength and power, get used to its reaction times, and so on. She kind of had to do that on the fly in this battle. She was used to dealing with Combusken, but the more powerful Blaziken was another matter entirely. So she spent the first few minutes getting a feel for what Blaziken could do, while it naturally dodged attacks, lowering Sceptile's points in the process. That's a sign of a good coordinator right there.

I don't think it should've ended with Overheat and Solar Beam. It could've been Blast Burn and Frenzy Plant. grr...
And the point of that would be...? This obsessive Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon/Frenzy Plant love on these forums is extremely annoying. Can people please just not mention them when they have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand?

Pika Hikari KT
10th September 2006, 5:14 AM
And the point of that would be...? This obsessive Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon/Frenzy Plant love on these forums is extremely annoying. Can people please just not mention them when they have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand?
Besides, the Hoenn starters can't learn the elemental Hyper Beam attacks.XD Attacking with their strongest attacks at the moment(Overheat and Solarbeam) was fine.

Bliksem
10th September 2006, 6:19 PM
Now that I got to see the episode in action, I can't really say I'm impressed. The battle could have been so much better, but all the action seemed... off. Perhaps it was this episode's animation team, but my god. Everything seemed slightly misshapened, not enough to be blantantly obvious, but still enough to see... not right. I do enjoy the fact that Sceptile kicked that fire chicken's butt, and I will insist that only plot forced it into Overgrow. That, or those Blaze Kicks hurt a lot more than it seemed.

Like I said before, I'm glad Sceptile started using that bush of his, but it just seemed so rigid.

Pikafan
10th September 2006, 6:55 PM
I think May will win because overheat has more base power attack and Solarbeam has less. Maybe not but let's see where this goes next week

Flamez
10th September 2006, 7:18 PM
^^ That doesnt matter in the damn ANIME Pikafan. If you go by base power then how was it that May's skitty in the last Hoenn contest used Fire spin to completely overpower a Hyperbeam attack from Jynx.
Besides in one of the hoenn league matches, Ash used Torkoals Overheat and his opponent used Tropius' Solarbeam and the result was BOTH pokemon being knocked out.
How many times does this have to be said, the match will be a DRAW. This is not speculation, its already been CONFIRMED. So its not going to be something like Blaziken standing tall after the smoke settles, no thats not going to happen.

Lee-san
10th September 2006, 8:07 PM
meh, I don't know, Blaziken doesn't really suit May..but other than that, the episode was alright.

CyberCubed
10th September 2006, 8:25 PM
The battle should have been much longer too.

It's a shame that when the smoke clears they're both likely to just fall to the ground KO'd. I would have liked the battle to continue in the next episode but I realize there's not enough time to squeeze it in.

DANdotW
11th September 2006, 1:32 AM
They were both moving a little fast after Blaze and Overgrow kicked in, and that could have been made a little longer rather than the two-minute stare into the smoke, which both Pokémon managed to float in rather than fall straight out.

Overall though, I did enjoy this battle. If it is indeed Haruka's end, then this was fitting. She had a final battle with Musashi, Shuu and Harley, and now Satoshi. It really shows how strong she is too, since she won a fair few, and already beat Shuu before the final battle episode.

Iota

shadowmon
11th September 2006, 1:43 AM
i just saw the epi but i have one question:

why did ash lose points at the begining of the battle?

KuwabaraTheMan
11th September 2006, 6:29 AM

He was fighting in an overly aggressive and ungraceful manner. He just launched a bunch of attacks that didn't do anything to Bashamo.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
11th September 2006, 6:54 AM
I saw this episode somehow and it wasn't much what I expected. I thought there was gonna be a winner, and make us wait for a week. But the looks of the contest, it seems like an ameatur like. Many participants were idiotic people who don't what there doing aside of Ash and May.

The parts that kept me entertained was Ash's and May's appeal and the battle. I thought May's Cobusken would envloved during the battle, but nope around Team Rocket.

Ash looks like he could do pretty well in a Contest since it was highly appealing of the combination of thunderbolt, quick attack, n' Iron Tail could do. But too bad, he's too aggressive with the battling which makes me think he not good battling gracefully. What ya expect?

Before I seen the episode, I had more chances with May to win the whole thing, but I gonna bet Ash is gonna it in her own game, if anyone seen the scoreboard, it looked liked that Ash was in the lead by a 1/8 of inch. But hard to say. Its just me!

Almighty Zard
11th September 2006, 7:54 AM
Besides in one of the hoenn league matches, Ash used Torkoals Overheat and his opponent used Tropius' Solarbeam and the result was BOTH pokemon being knocked out.

Don't know what your tring to point out but i have to say that in that match that was the second time Torkoal used overheat, if it had been at full power Tropius would've been anhilated, but in this match, the fact that Sceptile had evolved earlier and been used in some high caliber matches more so than Combusken before it evolved, i would say this is even.

How many times does this have to be said, the match will be a DRAW. This is not speculation, its already been CONFIRMED. So its not going to be something like Blaziken standing tall after the smoke settles, no thats not going to happen.

No offense, but i'm starting to think otherwise as certain events in this episode happened at different times than the comic speicfied, we could very well have a winner.

BattleFranky~40
11th September 2006, 7:56 AM

Sceptile attacked. Blaziken dodged. Satoshi loses points. That's just how contests work.

Crimsonmon
11th September 2006, 8:41 PM
Those Diamond-Pearl Promotion Boys are really starting to annoy me, even more so than the Triva Quizzes. Luckily they should only be appearing in one more episode, unless they stick around to advertise the game some more.

Geodude
14th September 2006, 4:16 AM
Sceptile attacked. Blaziken dodged. Satoshi loses points. That's just how contests work.
Indeed. In contests you not only lose points if your Pokemon takes a hit, but also if your Pokemon's attack misses or is dodged. This not only forced Ash to think about the battle differently, it makes coordinators in general maintain a good balance between offense and defense.

PiPikachu
14th September 2006, 7:59 PM
one thing i really enjoyed from the ep was the remixed GS battle music which just happens to be my favourite score from the anime :>

deathseer
16th September 2006, 3:56 AM
it was messed up.how did sceptile tie with blaziken.anyways it was a good battle between ash and may

pokemaster95
22nd November 2006, 3:53 PM
ash is good at contests man is there anything he cant do.

BattleFranky~40
22nd November 2006, 8:13 PM
ash is good at contests man is there anything he cant do.

Satoshi is the main character, and therefore has magic DEM powers. So no.

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd November 2006, 8:24 PM
DEM means Deus Ex Machina, btw.

WaterDragon trainer
24th February 2007, 4:00 PM
This episode was great. It was actually funny when Brock hit on Nurse Joy in the beginning. I kind of thought it was weird how May’s Eevee could make fireworks from Shadow Ball. I though the trainers with the Magikarp and Gloom were horrible so it was so surprise that Ash and May would move on. It was awesome to see May’s Combusken evolve. It was cool to see Overgrow again as well as the Blaze ability.

ShinyLucario
24th February 2007, 4:50 PM
This was a good episode. I liked how Ash appealed with Pikachu. Those Thunder Rings as I'll call them were interesting to see. Very unique, sticks to the whole "his own battling style" that Brandon taught him to use.

And May using Eevee in the beginning with Dig and then Shadow Ball was very nice and cute. I like how they put May in the first position because she does have more Contest experience than Ash does so it only makes sense really.

And with May having a Blaziken now it was a good fight, but I felt that Blaziken was getting kicked around way too much. It was getting beat up by a grass-type which Blaziken should've been able to defeat easily (Flamethrower would be my ideal move in this scenario).

I just don't think May is used to having a fully-evolved Blaziken to fight with and maybe she was nervous. I am not sure, but the ending will be good. I do know how it ends, but I will not spoil it for the fans.

I'll just say that you'll like the next, and final, Battle Frontier episode.

-ShinyLucario

CrystalSaurTower
24th February 2007, 4:55 PM
Psh, I thought they were gonna display the results in the same episode. >.> But it felt pretty cool, especially the rushed part at the end.

kalphite
24th February 2007, 5:02 PM
in the ep guide for once more with reeling! it says sceptile used slam. in the episode they use pound! which is the right one?

Dax
24th February 2007, 5:07 PM
It was a good episode but the animation wasn't great. The battle wasn't really intense considering that it was an important battle. I don't see May with a Blaziken, I feel that Blaziken don't fit her.

I was surprised whit Pkachu's performance. It was very cool and I like the Shadow Balls. I know how everything will end but for a moment I forgot that the episode doesn't show the winner.

I'll give it 7/10.

ShinyLucario
24th February 2007, 5:18 PM
Yeah, the battle was rushed. I just wish May would have used Blaziken better. It has a good advantage against Sceptile and May didn't use that advantage to help her much. If she used Flamethrower then Ash would have been in a worse position.

Cedric's_Memory
24th February 2007, 6:35 PM
in the ep guide for once more with reeling! it says sceptile used slam. in the episode they use pound! which is the right one?

It's pound but it was messed up in the guide. PUSA screwed another good episode today. I liked it better when it had good music.

Gravy
24th February 2007, 6:48 PM
Sceptile doesn't even know Slam. It was definately Pound, because it's the same attack command that was given in the original.

CabbyFish
24th February 2007, 6:52 PM
This was a nice episode. Ash and May both enter a contest, and they both face off in the final round. I know it was unoffical, but they chose the final 2 contestants right after the appeals. May's Combusken finally evolves into Blaziken, and I must say, Blaziken's voice was great in my opinion. The battle got so intense, they can't tell the outcome at the end of the contest. There was one shot however where you could easily tell the outcome of the battle (even Brock said it, sort of).

CharizardMaster
24th February 2007, 7:16 PM
I liked this episode, I wasn't expecting the fireworks but I was expecting shadow ball. Blaziken's voice is ok but I hate how it used Blaze Kick, it just jumped and stuck his foot out instead of bringing it back and forcing it forward for more power. Nevertheless this was a very good episode.

PANCAKE
24th February 2007, 9:47 PM
An ok dub. What bothered me most was that they kept advertising Ash coming in the top 8 of the Hoenn League. I would have thought being the conqueror of Battle Frontier would earn more recognition, but whatever.

And I'm pretty sick of evolutions happening because of a fight with Team Rocket. I think it would have been more of an honor to have Combusken evolve in a battle with Ash than the latter.

Keep on coming with the slams Scepy!!

chosen_one386
24th February 2007, 10:10 PM
1. I have got to laugh at the towns name... Terra Cotta (or Terracotta)? Gosh... I'm sorry, I just laugh at stuff like that.

2. Ash did really good for that being his first Contest, even though it was an unofficial one.

3. Next week is the last episode of the season!!!!

9/10 I like last week's episode much better...

Lishus13
24th February 2007, 11:01 PM
One statement.

I know that Ash v. May was destined to happen, but I don't think Pikachu's appeal beat out that Seel's ice sculpture thing.

But, whatever, it was good anyways.

jolteonjak
25th February 2007, 12:17 AM
After all the contests he's watched May in, you'd think Ash would know how the battle portion works by now. This was an OK episode for me. It could have been much better. They should have used the Weavile and Chatot fillers and use them to extend Ash's match with Brandon and this contest longer. Oh well.

grassland
25th February 2007, 12:21 AM
I think Ash will tie May.

Thanks to www.Naruto.com/character+test for my signeture.

-Starly-
25th February 2007, 1:16 AM
Thanks to www.Naruto.com/character+test for my signeture.
Any reason WHY you posted that?

My cable just HAD to die before this episode.
Still don't get why May tying with Ash was a good enough 'Last Hurrah' before sending her off.

PokeDouglas
25th February 2007, 3:38 AM
It's too bad we only get to see May's Blaziken for two episodes. Why'd it have to evolve the episode before she left?!!?

Red Ryu
25th February 2007, 5:39 AM
I liked the episode except for one thing, I was only able to hear about three pieces of the original japanese BGM in this episode. That is at least to my knowledge since I don't have the original version of the episode anymore. Other than the music, it was a good episode all around.

CyberCubed
25th February 2007, 5:44 AM
It's too bad we only get to see May's Blaziken for two episodes. Why'd it have to evolve the episode before she left?!!?

Because Combusken is more interesting than Blaziken overall, and this was only done as a last hurrah.

Since the writers knew she was leaving, they wanted to giver her Blaziken as a sendoff.

TheBuddyBud
25th February 2007, 12:04 PM
combusken was ugly as hell

dman_dustin
25th February 2007, 12:18 PM
Seen the episode.

I agree with S. Suikun, Combusken did evolve in the lamest way possible. Combusken used mega kick to free the pokemon and after Ash had pikachu thunderbolt TR may ordered an attack and combusken just fell on its knees and evolved. It wasnt even hurt or anything so why does it fall on its knee?

it fell on its knees because it was about to evolve

Leona
25th February 2007, 12:53 PM
it fell on its knees because it was about to evolve

Yeah but what made laugh is it just randomly did it :P

♥Princess Ketchum♥
25th February 2007, 3:10 PM
This is episode was so amazing and i thought the battle was so awsome <3

10/10

Medea
25th February 2007, 3:41 PM
Super!

-That contest reminded me so much of the VERY first contest that May saw (you know a male announcer instead of Vivian or Lillian).
-The male announcer...oh it's really nothing. I'm just speculating something for next week for a certain voice that BETTER SOUND PERFECT!!!
-I totally space and forget that May's Combusken evolves into a Blaziken. I'm an idiot.
-Usually Brock sits down in the audience and shout his love to Nurse Joy from there. What the hell happened here? How did he make it pass security?
-Because I'm being watched and spyed on by certain people here and it's really pissing me off...
Seeing Ash in the contest, I am not used to that and I will never get used to it. Not even in D/P! Stick to gym battles!
Although I will say that his appeal round was pretty good.
-The battle itself...cool! I was at the edge of my seat. (That usually never happens when I'm watching an anime, or at least not since InuYasha)

And that's about all.

PokeDouglas
25th February 2007, 4:59 PM
Why did Combusken fall to its knees like that? I've never imagined evolution to be that painful.

Cobalt_Latios
25th February 2007, 8:22 PM
Well for a before last episode for a season, it was pretty good.

The major event that i was waiting to see was Combusken evolve to Blaziken. That was the highlight for me for this episode. The actual battle between May and Ash was pretty good, and the announcers even mentionned that May's Combusken had just evolved.

I was kind of expecting Solarbeam and Overheat when both Blaziken's and Sceptile's abilities were activated. Then the scores that were covered by the smoke in midair. I'm not sure if the animators were expecting us to be color blind, because you could easily see who won and it was both.

here:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3209/equalitymk1.png (http://imageshack.us)

Edit: I feel that it will be rather difficult for me to find PBF: "Home is where the Start is." After it airs, since only one place had this episode. Eh, i dont really mind who will have it, just so long as i do get to see it.

~C_L~

TheBuddyBud
25th February 2007, 11:52 PM
ash has way too much experience over may, he should have won, but they just like to screw around with us, dont they?

CyberCubed
26th February 2007, 12:01 AM
ash has way too much experience over may, he should have won, but they just like to screw around with us, dont they?

Ash has never been in a Contest before, Combusken/Blaziken have had a ton of battle experience.

Why whine over something so trivial? Its just meant to be the final battle of AG between Ash and May, nothing earth shattering.

Jorah
26th February 2007, 11:22 PM
I thought through most of the battle, Ash was saying commands but May didn't do much to counter. I found that a little irksome. I think that was at the start of the battle though.

CyberCubed
27th February 2007, 4:58 AM
That bothered me too. The writers focused on Ash throughout the whole beginning and didn't have May call out a single attack.

Seriously, wtf.

Cobalt_Latios
27th February 2007, 5:04 AM
I thought through most of the battle, Ash was saying commands but May didn't do much to counter. I found that a little irksome. I think that was at the start of the battle though.
I noticed that too. The least the writers could have done was have May at least tell Blaziken to dodge, or to block the hits. Eh, the writers have an awkward way of doing things but, oh well.

On a side note, did anyone else notice that they deliberately made this a short 2 parter by having the end of battle take place in middair, COINCIDENTALLY in the exact same spot where the "results" screen was? Therefore they could shove the results to next episode and have a proper sendoff. Quite strange really.

~C_L~

wobbanut
27th February 2007, 5:29 AM
WOW, that battle between Ash and May in this episode that leads into the next episode is so amazing and powerful to watch. It was great to see Combusken evolve, and I was delighted that blaziken kept its established deep voice from the Silver Conference episodes and "Destiny Deoxys". PUSA Combusken never sounded as good as 4Kids Combusken, so I was definitely pleased to hear Blaziken sound exactly the same. Ash and May's appeals rounds were also great. For being a newbie in the contest arena, Ash was really good. At least his performance here helps set up his work in the Sinnoh region. I also liked the appeals of the other contestants too. I LOL'd when that one trainer was DQ'd because her vileplume's sleep powder KO'd the judge and Nurse Joy. :D I liked Team Rocket's pirate bit too.

I'm feeling sad that next week is the last time we'll see May and Max for the forseeable future. I'll talk more about them with that episode, but I know right now that I'm going to miss them a lot. :( Hopefully, if Tracey and Misty are any indication, they'll be making appearances in the future. And hey, I know who *IS* back next week. :D

Overall, 10/10.

Geodude
28th February 2007, 2:35 AM
May must have known that Ash would attack immediately and aggressively, so she intentionally did nothing, relying on Blaziken to naturally dodge, knowing that Ash would lose points for the missed attacks. That's where her experience and familiarity with the scoring system comes in.

HelloKitty17
2nd March 2007, 10:53 PM
I liked May's style, against Ash. It was nice seeing Ash doing a contest though, rather then just plain battleing for a change.

I would give the episode a 9/10.

Gold/Silver18
3rd March 2007, 6:44 AM
did anyone else notice when Combusken referred to itself as Bulbasaur? lol A PUSA mistake.

CyberCubed
3rd March 2007, 6:45 AM
Considering you're the only one to say this a week after the ep has aired, I'm guessing nobody else did or you heard wrong.

Gold/Silver18
3rd March 2007, 6:47 AM
Considering you're the only one to say this a week after the ep has aired, I'm guessing nobody else did or you heard wrong.

I downloaded the Ep on torrent since we don't get it here in Canada and I rewinded it many times.

Flame Haze SnS
8th March 2007, 7:10 AM
I have a question that's been bothering me regarding the ice sculpture created by Seel. What kind of Pokemon was that? I didn't quite catch that one as it moves pretty quickly. I thought that ice sculpture looks like some form of Dialga?

Darkness Angel
8th March 2007, 8:03 AM
watched it eariler today most of not been paying attention to hear that.

Pacman
6th April 2007, 7:24 AM
That was cool. That Combusken evolved into Blaziken.

hustenapfel
8th August 2007, 5:01 PM
Blaziken´s Fighting Skills are impressive! °o°

rubyandsapphire
30th October 2007, 7:42 AM
The show was super and they had a tie when the time is up and they must share the ribbion as there are only 1,at first May decide to give it to Ash but he somehow tear it to half and give the half to May.That was so nice of him.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
13th November 2008, 8:58 PM
liked the final battle. What a great way to end battle frontier.

Torpoleon
15th November 2008, 3:11 AM
It kind of looked like Ash won but it is good that they made it a tie.Why couldn;'t ash do something completely different from May in the appeal because he copied her a little.

Tadashi
10th December 2008, 9:23 PM
Seeing Ash take part in a contest was so awesome ^_^ I liked Pikachu's appeal...

and wow, Blaziken! I'm happy it finally evolved! ^_^ Greatest stage 2 battle ever! >D

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 5:33 PM
This was a pretty good battle. But I don't like how Ash always wins or ties every single time his Pokemon is at a disadvantage. That's boring.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:47 PM
it has been a while since i last saw ash in a contest last time i watched it so it was good to see that again, 7/10.

Blue Snover
10th March 2009, 1:59 PM
This was an enjoyable episode, the appeals were lovely and it was nice to see Sceptile in a contest battle.

Littlemyuu
10th March 2009, 5:37 PM
Blaziken vs Sceptile...i love it,
remind me of the battles between my brothers Blaziken and my Sceptile
it was an great episode =D

catzisconfus
15th August 2009, 10:48 PM
meh at the end the smoke was there forever in normal it would already be gone >.<

Surfer_Dude
26th September 2009, 1:11 PM
This is where combusken evolves, right?

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:55 PM
This was the best battle ever.

Pikachu was amazing, Bulbasaur also.

And poor Charizard, it lost quickly.

10/10

Lorde
6th January 2010, 9:14 AM
This was the best battle ever.

Pikachu was amazing, Bulbasaur also.

And poor Charizard, it lost quickly.

10/10

What are you talking about? This was a Contest between Ash and May. Charizard and Bulbasaur didn't appear...

Anyway, Ash in a Contest? And Pikachu's appeal was actually good. It's a natural at everything apparently.

Glad both May and Ash used Hoenn starter Pokemon's evolved form. May with Blaziken was something I've been waiting for. 9/10

Armaldo48
6th January 2010, 3:10 PM
Looks like Ash is good in contests too. I would like to see more of him in contests.

8/10

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 1:39 AM
I think this was a really good episode. It was great to see Combensken evolve into Blaziken, but it's sad that this is the only episode we see Blaziken until Sinnoh. It was great that May and Ash came in a tie and decided to share the ribbon. Shows true friendship.

I can see why Max was upset about leaving, I wouldn't be so thrilled to go home and my sister go on to Johto without me because I would have loved those adventures. It was great to see Sceptile and Blaziken both battle to the end and they even used their abilities at the same time,.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 2:36 PM
Sceptile and Blaziken face to face was a great sight..... ending the battle frontier with a bang

Painkiller2001
27th January 2011, 7:03 AM
I wasn't really too impressed how Combusken evolved. Evolving after a simple everyday battle with TR? That's not good enough reason to do so. It would have been better if Combusken had evolved during the contest battle.

Not that I wasn't pleased to see Combusken evolve. It' always awesome when a Pokemon evolves.

This evolution was just done in a stupid fashion.

SatanJr
27th January 2011, 9:57 AM
The episode was alright. May's Combusken evolving was a minor plus being that her combusken was totally useless. The contest portion of the episode was nice too, Ash did some really great skills with his pikachu and same with May and her pokes. They're just so awesome :3 <333

G50
27th April 2011, 4:21 AM
This episode was good. It was cool to see May and Ash enter a contest together. It was great to see Combusken finally evolve into Blaziken and learn Blaze Kick. It was cool to see Eevee use Dig+Shadow Ball combo for the Appeal Round, it was very creative. The Sceptile vs Blaziken battle was even-matched and very cool to see.

85/100

Vernikova
5th October 2012, 8:37 PM
Weird animation. Ash somehow is able to tie up with May in a contest battle. Nothing to see here.

p96822
31st December 2013, 6:01 AM
This episode is wierd! Really I mean it, this is one of the weirdest episode I seen in a long time. So let get started on the reveiw.

So we start our episode with Ash and the others talking about going back home after having a good adventure in the Kanto region. I do like this over the fousedness of Os gang going home because it was their choise of going and not something stupid. I guest Pokemon learn it lesson last time to not be that emotional. I might want a chill tone to them leaving then a sappy one.

In the town that they were in a festive was happen and May see that there is a Pokemon Contest as the big main event. She want to enter it, but Ash want to enter as well. This is the first time that Ash is doing something never thought of doing. He reason of entering is to have fun and maybe give May a good bye battle after she leaves for Hoenn. I think this a good way to send are two main charater off.

Team Rocket are in this episode because they are the villains and want to steal Pokemon. Oh course!

Ash enters his Pikachu for the appeal stage and Scepitle for the battle stage while May enter her Eevee in the appeal stage and Combusken in the battle stage. Wait a minute, Eevee and Pikachu? Combuskin and Secpitle? Ether they are making refences to the game or I'm just crazy.

May's Eevee uses Dig and Shadow Ball to make fireworks for the crowd and their May fans in the stand cheering on May showing that May has made a big impact in the Kanto Region Pokemon Contest. While Ash uses Pikachu's Quick Attack and Thunderbolt to turn them into ring then using Iron Tail to bounce them off. I think this was the most creative think I seen from Pikachu in a long time. It is really cool that Ash can think this up on the fly when this is his very first contest that he has entered. I think the writers could made Ash intressed in Pokemon contest after entering one. Would it be awesome to see Ash learning a different style of battling and becoming even a better trainer. I know that this will be in Dp line of work, but there could have done this more with Ash and he could have done more then Pokemon battles.

After that Ash and May let Combuskin and Scepitle get out of their Poke ball to hype them up for their last battle. It intressing they look like they really fired up to battle each other after all the thing that they did in this season. Team Rocket were stealing Pokemon on a float using a Magikarp net launcher. Wow I never though I would say though words in a sentence? And Ash and May are going to team up to save the Pokemon and stop Team Rocket. Team Rocket caputes Pikachu with their net. Combuskin uses his Mega Kick to cut though the net while Secpitle uses his Pound attack to make them land back to their trainers.

Then all of the sudden, May's Combuskin evolves into a Blaziken. WHAT!!! This is one of the weirdest evolution for a main charater I have ever seen in my life. Why did Combusken evolve now of all times. But I can say during his battles in the contest in this season I can said that he need to evolve. And this makes May the only female companion to get a new Pokemon before leaving for her own adventures. Blaziken learns Blaze Kick after evolving and I have the chill when Jessie said this "What of hunk of a Pokemon" that wasn't need dub.

Ash and May start their last battle and I got to say that this battle is alright for its time. It had alot of action and it was enjoyable most of the time. It was wierd that May didn't make that many command for Blaziken, but it was awesome to see the fire type jumping and dodging most of Ash's Scepitle attacks. To me it looks like Scepitle was winning because it evolved before Blaziken and much more experence in battle then he was. I did like that this is the second time that Ash's Pokemon went into it's ablity. It was the second time that this happen since Ash face off with her Dad Norman. We end on a cliffhanger. This episode gets a 7.5/10

PokemontrainerY
22nd January 2014, 10:37 AM
After the events of the last episode, Ash(Who just beat the Battle Frontier) and May decides to enter the Terracotta Pokemon Contest. In the first round, May did her contest appeal with Eevee.....and I thought she did great. Eevee used a combination of Dig and Shadow Ball to create fireworks, which was creative in my opinion. Ash and Pikachu's performance was good too, I liked the combination of Quick Attack and Volt Tackle and Thunderbolt. It's the first time Ash entered a contest....and he did very well in the appeal round.

Both May and Ash were qualified and made it to the next round. Then they were having a short break before their match. During the
break, Team Rocket managed to steal Ash's Pikachu and some other trainer's Pokémon with a Magikarp Laucher. Ash and May tries to stop them with Sceptile and Combusken. Eventually they manged to rescue the Pokémon.....but all sudden Combusken evolves in Blaziken!! After Combusken evolved into a Blaziken, she uses Blaze kick and sent Team Rocket flying.

Later Ash and May finally begins their contest battle. May and Ash chooses Blaziken and Sceptile respectivly. Both Pokemon put up a good battle. After hitting each other with Powerful moves like Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed/Flamethrower,
Blaze Kick, both Pokemon seemed worn out. Sceptile uses Overgrow to heal himself, on the other hand Blaziken also heals herself by using Blaze. Then Blaziken uses Overheat and Sceptile uses Solarbeam, causing a big explosion and ending this episode with a cliffhanger.

Overall, great episode. It's cool to see Ash entering a contest for the first time. Both Ash and May's Contest appeals were pretty creative, especially Ash's. It's cool how Ash could think up a creative appeal when this is the very first Pokémon Contest he entered. Team Rocket was annoying as usual, as usual they tried to steal Pokémon. May's Combusken evolving into Blaziken was cool, but the evolution was really unexpected. Ash and May's Contest battle was impressive. In fact, I enjoyed this battle way more than Ash and Misty's boring battle in the Whirl cup tournament. It was cool how both Blaziken and Sceptile gave it their all in the Contest battle.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2014, 4:03 AM
Who knew something as small as finding out who won a (non-official) contest could be made out to look so dramatic? :)