PDA

View Full Version : Battle Frontier Team

Tyrannotaur
11th September 2006, 9:02 PM
Hello everyone, I tried to use my old Ruby Team to defeat all the battle frontier challenges.. but it only worked for the Dome. I didn't Ev train that team.. Infact I tried EV training once.. found it too monotonous and gave up on it. I just like to raise them how they are.. but for the Frontier I think I'll give it another try.

I have a strategy in mind. Spikes- Sandstorm- Toxic then sweep with Tyranitar.

Here is what I have planned. I just need help with move sets and what stats I should raise.. etc. I used the main site for most of this as well as Smogon.
( yes I relize I have 8 pokemon here)

Tyranitar- Sandstreme
Adamant- Leftovers
Dragon Dance, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Aerial Ace
EVs- Raise attack and Speed

Swampert- Torrent
Impish- Chesto Berry*
Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Curse/ Rest
EV's- Raise HP and Def, with anything left in Attack

Skarmory- Keen Eye
Impish- No Idea
Spikes, Drill Peck, Toxic, Whirlwind/Roar
EV's- Raise Spec Def anything left in Attack

Nidoking- Poison Point
Adamant- Salac Berry
Megahorn, Shadow Ball, Earthquake, Superpower/Bodyslam
EV's- Raise Speed and Attack. Anything left into Special Def

Magneton- Magnet Pull
Modest- No Idea
Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Metal Sound, Reflect/Protect
EV's- Raise Speed and Special Attack. Anything left into Def

Flygon- Levitate
Hasty- Dragon Fang
Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Crunch, Flamthrower
EV's- Raise Special Attack anything left in Speed.

Cacturne- Sand Veil
Quiet/Rash- No Idea
Leech Seed, Spikes, Needle Arm, Faint Attack
EV's - Raise Special Attack and Speed. Anything left in Special Def.

Metagross- Clear Body
Adamant- Scope Lens
Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Psychic ( please no agility)
EV's- Raise Attack and Speed. Anything left in Both Defenses.

These are the Pokemon I narrowed it down to. I don't think I need two Spikers. Skarmory seems better for the job. I also don't know what items to use. Apparently the items like Charcoal are not very good. Everyone seems to have Leftovers on EVERY pokemon. It's a good item but there are others and you can't have the same item twice anyway. If there is a better pokemon that I haven't listed please do suggest it. Any help appreciated.
Oh and no Hidden Powers please. I understand it may be a good move.. but I really just don't like it. Don't ask me why.

Thanks for your help.

aragornbird
11th September 2006, 10:04 PM
Tyranitar- Sandstreme
Adamant- Leftovers

Fine. Taunt is always an option over AA.

Swampert- Torrent
Relaxed - Chesto Berry
Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Curse/ Rest
EV's- Raise HP and Def, with anything left in Attack

Skarmory- Keen Eye
Impish- No Idea
Spikes, Drill Peck, Toxic, Whirlwind/Roar, Rest
NO, do not raise Skarm's Sp. Def. Max out it's HP and then raise it's Defense.

Nidoking- Poison Point
Adamant- Choice Band
Megahorn, Shadow Ball, Earthquake, Rock Slide
More like Max out its Atk and Spd.

Magneton- Magnet Pull
Modest- Whatever item you haven't used
Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Metal Sound, Substitute

Flygon- Levitate
Adamant - Choice Band
Earthquake, Rock Slide, Quick Attack, Fire Blast
EV's- Max out Attack and Spd.

Cacturne- Sand Veil
Quiet/Rash- Brightpowder....=\
Leech Seed, Spikes, Substitute, Focus Punch
EV's - Raise HP, Def, Sp. Def.

Metagross- Clear Body
Adamant- Scope Lens/Lum Berry
Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Explosion/Rock Slide

Lose Cacturne and Nidoking and there you’ll have your team.

Tyrannotaur
11th September 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks alot for the help aragornbird. I think I will drop Cacturne and Nidoking. I am already raising Cacturne in another game. Nidoking I can always raise later on.

Thanks again.

PolarisJunkie
11th September 2006, 10:59 PM
If you need someone with high attack and great sweeping potential, Snorlax usually doesn't fail. His Return murders all.

Tyrannotaur
12th September 2006, 1:13 AM
I shall consider Snorlax. I'd have to give him the leftovers tho.. since he isn't ground, rock or steel.

dragontamer_blake
12th September 2006, 7:01 AM
for a high speed special sweeper starmie murders all he is very fast and can pretty much kill all

Tyrannotaur
21st September 2006, 1:22 AM
I'm reviving my topic cause I am having trouble.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some aspects of EV training.
How do I know when a Stat is Maxed? I asked the guy in the battle frontier and he just says something about a radom stat that I am not raising.
Is there a faster way to do this?
Is it better or worse to fight Higher level pokemon?

Here are my stats of the pokemon I started raising so far.

Magnemite- Modest- level 25
HP- 54
AT- 27
DF- 46
SA- 60
SD- 40
SP- 30
Atempting to max out speed and Special Attack

Pupitar- Adamant-level 30
HP- 82
AT-64
DF-48
SA- 44
SD- 56
Sp-57
Attempting to Max out Speed and Attack

Trapinch- Adamant- Level 24
HP- 56
AT- 68
DF- 33
SA- 29
SD- 31
SP-17
Attempting to max out Attack and Speed

I haven't even started on Mudkip, Beldum or Skarmory.

Also is there a better pokemon than Carvanha for Attack? I tried Mightyena, but they roar me away. I am also sick of the countless oddish and Banette.
Would Poochyena work?

Thanks for any help, T-taur

Rudibaker
21st September 2006, 1:40 AM
If a stat wont go any higher...it would give you a "0" stat boost when you level up. Likewise...you wont be able to use any stat boosting items on that stat.

Suica
21st September 2006, 2:06 AM
You can't actually tell. You just have to keep track of your ev progress. When you hit 252 that's when a stat is maxed.

aragornbird
21st September 2006, 2:30 AM
Keep track of your EVs on your computer (Microsoft Excel is good).

Is it better or worse to fight Higher level pokemon?
It won't make any difference. A Lv. 100 Zigzagoon and a Lv. 1 Zigzagoon will still give you 1 Speed EV.

Would Poochyena work?
Poochyena and Carvahna both give 1 Attack.

Are you using a Macho Brace to train? It doubles you EV gain.
Did you feed your Pokemon with Vitamins before you EV trained? Each Vitamin gives +10 to a certain stat and you can give them 100 Max before you start EV training.

Tyrannotaur
21st September 2006, 3:29 AM
Keep track of your EVs on your computer (Microsoft Excel is good).

I'll try that out. I'll probably end up using my Notebook since I usally play in my room where I have no computer.

Are you using a Macho Brace to train? It doubles you EV gain.
Did you feed your Pokemon with Vitamins before you EV trained? Each Vitamin gives +10 to a certain stat and you can give them 100 Max before you start EV training.

Yeah I am using the Macho brace. I didn't have the cash to buy ten of each vitamin ( even on his half price day). I spen tall my money on decorations the day before I started this. I'll battle the elite four with another team to get some money tho.

Once the pokemon stops getting stat gains the stat is maxed out , correct?
I'll just look for that. that should make it easier.

KingBattlus
21st September 2006, 3:57 AM
it's incorrect to say that the stat will stop going up once you max out the EVs. you will still gain stats, but think of it as a normal rate, whereas when you EV train, the rate the stats go up is accelerated.

if you wanted to max out speed with a newly caught zapdos by battling nothing but level 2 pidgey, you would feasibly max it before you even went up more than a level or two. this doesn't mean that you zapdos won't gain anymore speed, but spending anymore time trying to battle pidgey won't help you.

a second note on this, if you max out your EVs on a high level pokemon all within one level, you will gain more points on that level than if you do it over time, but in the end the stat will still reach the same maximum. it may seem like more when your mewtwo gains 60 special attack when it goes up one level, but actually the stat would be same if you EV trained until it reached level 99.

the base stats of the pokemon will determine how much you'll gain from the time you max out the stat with EVs until you reach level 100. with max EVs in any given you stat, you can add 63 stat points. if you had a pokemon like shuckle EV trained in defense, once maxed out, it will still gain about 4 points everytime you level it up.

and vice versa, even trying to max out shuckle's attack, you may still have times when it will gain 0 in attack, even with EV training because his base stat in attack is so poor.

in summary, EVs are helpful, though tedious and time consuming. keep good records because if you lose track, there's no way to find out again what they were. even more helpful when you breed to get the best natures/IVs. a max attack, perfect 31 IV, adamant slaking will have an attack stat of 460, while if you took a different slaking with say a modest nature, a 0 IV in attack, and 0 attack EVs, its attack stat will only be 377. that's an 83 point swing, pretty dramatic impact on how the battle will go.

one other quick note, while you may not know exactly how many EVs you have, if you only aim for two stats, such as with your flygon only needing speed and special attack, you may be able to save yourself if you lose count. simply start a new tally and battle another 250 in the one stat, while you may go over it won't count once you hit 255, and then move onto the other stat and finish the other 255. if you think you're close to the end and you've forgotten, there's a woman in slateport who will give your pokemon an effort ribbon if you've maxed out the EVs.

Tyrannotaur
21st September 2006, 7:23 AM
Hey thanks. That helped me out alot. So basically if I where raising my Tyranitar I got from JAA in speed she would gain like 14 in speed each time but since I used a level 5 Larvitar that I breed for moves/natures I get stat points slower?

I defintly will have to start keeping a record.

-Discord-
21st September 2006, 12:22 PM
Heracross, could do well here, with SD, Megahorn, Rock Slide, EQ/BB

KingBattlus
21st September 2006, 2:33 PM
glad i could be of some help, seems like you've got it down pat now.

scizor is also an option to resist the sandstorm, a baton pass with agility/swords dance could help out most of your team as they are all either slow or attacking physically (or both)

Shining Charizard64
21st September 2006, 8:23 PM
for the Attack EVs you could go to the cemetary mountain place(the name escapes me..) and kill straight up shuppets without worrying about other pokemon poping up you dont want

Magne-2000lbs.
22nd September 2006, 12:58 AM
skarmory, nice pokemon, but too many weaknesses, for me, 2 and above weaknesses = A LOT, so swampert's okay, nidoking's fine, and yea, the rest are FINE, just skarmory i'm not so sure about...
if ur planning to keep it, i'll suggest this, k?
Skarmory @ Shell Bell/Leftovers
Aerial Ace OR Drill Peck, aerial for accuracy, but drill peck for power, i recommend drill peck
Toxic
Steel Wing
Sky Attack

aragornbird
22nd September 2006, 1:02 AM
You have A LOT to learn about how to use Skarmory, Magne.

Okay, Skarm is only weak against Fire and Electric. But do you know what? It has no physical weaknesses! That’s why people use it as a physical wall. They wouldn’t keep it in against special attackers.

Why would you give Skarmory two Flying attacks? I’m sure I told you this before but Don’t give a Pokémon two attacking moves of the same type!

And the EVs are bad. Max HP, put at least 200 into Defense, and put the rest into Attack.

howdodo
22nd September 2006, 2:33 AM
wow u really need to learn about pokemon in general magne

dragontamer_blake
22nd September 2006, 10:18 PM
yeh i guess he does

Firaga Metagross
23rd September 2006, 12:24 AM
Tyranitar- Sandstream
Adamant- Leftovers

Nuthin' wrong here

Swampert- Torrent
adamant- Chesto Berry*
ice beam/surf, earthquake, rockslide, rest
EV's- max out atk and spd, put the rest in to HP

You had an okay move set

Skarmory- Keen Eye
Impish- leftovers
Spikes, Drill Peck/sandstorm, Toxic, Roar
EV's- Raise Def, Sp. def, and spd

very good

Nidoking- Poison Point
Adamant- Salac Berry
Megahorn, Shadow Ball, Earthquake, sludge bomb

vvery good

Magneton- Magnet Pull
Modest- bright powder
Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Metal Sound, swagger

consider another pokemon

Flygon- Levitate
modest- Dragon Fang
Earthquake/giga drain, Dragon Claw, Crunch, Flamthrower
EV's- Raise Special Attack anything left in Speed.

very good

Cacturne- Sand Veil
Quiet/Rash- No Idea
Leech Seed, Spikes, needle arm/faint attack, Focus punch
EV's - Raise Special Attack and Speed. Anything left in Special Def.

okay

Metagross- Clear Body
Adamant- Scope Lens
Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, aerial ace ( please no agility)

aerial ace is better for taking on fighting types due to metagross's high atk and fighter types low def.

These are the Pokemon I narrowed it down to. I don't think I need two Spikers. Skarmory seems better for the job. I also don't know what items to use. Apparently the items like Charcoal are not very good. Everyone seems to have Leftovers on EVERY pokemon. It's a good item but there are others and you can't have the same item twice anyway. If there is a better pokemon that I haven't listed please do suggest it. Any help appreciated.
Oh and no Hidden Powers please. I understand it may be a good move.. but I really just don't like it. Don't ask me why.

Thanks for your help.

not bad, 8/10

-;376;

howdodo
23rd September 2006, 12:32 AM
^^alright let me explain y this guy is messed up

1. adamant swampert isnt all that good and should never have speed EV's
2.flygon is not a special sweeper
3.skarmory shouldnt have sp.def ev's or sandstorm
4.flygon has a dragon fang
5.agility over aerial ace any day
6.not a lot into speed on metagross agility helps u out a lot